6.2

1. Dec 27, 2013
    Wow. I am shocked by the bad critic reviews. I thought this movie was excellent. Compelling story. Special effects support but don't dominate the story. The acting is a bit wooden at times, but it felt stylistically appropriate and didn't detract from the movie at all. I think it is an intentional nod to traditional Japanese form, but what do I know?

Frankly this movie reminded me of
    one of the "Lord of the Rings" movies, Japanese style. It is a complete and intriguing universe. The cinematography and artistic direction feel coherent and well conceived. I feel like the characters were well developed and we understood their point of views by the end of the movie.

I loved this movie. The time passed without notice while I was immersed in it. I'd see it again.
  2. Dec 28, 2013
    What a piece of crud. Another display that KR is not capable of acting, unless mumble mumble mumble is actling. Dude, where is my katana? With all the CGI, maybey they could have used some of it to make KR look Japanese and to show some acting!
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    Pointless scenes. Again,and again. That's sad,but this film was not only boring it was also ridiculous. NOT the film of the year. There's nothing good to keep in it.
  4. Jan 1, 2014
    Dances with Wolves 1990
    The Last of the Mohicans 1993
    The Last Samurai 2003
    Pathfinder 2007
    47 Ronin 2013

Another movie with the white man showing up to save the day. Never mind the term 'half-breed' in the description.
  5. Dec 28, 2013
    I was pretty excited to see Keanu back on the big screen. 47 Ronin is a good movie(not great), good actors, nice story. It could have been much better with extended action and a more drama.
  6. Dec 28, 2013
    The poor reviews from both critics and users are misguided; this was an excellent telling of a 300 year old legend, the Chushingura. The legend is based on a historical battle, and the multitude of versions of the Chushingura all tweak some element of the historical events in order to either feature a certain element, actor, or viewpoint. This movie does the same thing.

The dialog is in
    keeping with typical Japanese historical/fantasy action movies--it's direct, stoic in manner, and yet expressive. All of the actors deliver their lines believably and with grace--much as one should expect from this story. Keanu Reaves, while the Hollywood A-lister, is not the focus, but his strengths lend themselves well to the story. The real stars are Hiroyuki Sanada as Oishi, Tadanobu Asano as Lord Kira, and Rinko Kikuchi as Mizuki--the three of them are the heart and soul of the movie, and the plot moves with them. The action is swift, clean, and beautiful, which shouldn't be a surprise given the level of talent in the film. The CG adds only the fantasy elements, and doesn't detract from the rest of the story.

The love story between Lady Mika and Kai is the twist of this story, and it works well because it's not the central focus of the plot. It's a nice addition, one to get American female audiences involved, no doubt.

Overall, I'm highly satisfied with this movie. The only reason I don't give it a 10/10 is because, for me, that rating is reserved for the most epic of movies. "47 Ronin" isn't epic, but it's definitely excellent.
  7. Dec 26, 2013
    I wanted to like this film. Unfortunately, the pacing is terrible, and it builds up to nothing. Action scenes are scarce and often truncated. In between are cliche-ridden monologues and drab dialogue between flat, uninteresting characters. It aspires to be an epic, but instead straddles the line between farce and Nyquil. Its only saving grace is the cinematography, which is top notch. However, it can't compensate for the fact that sitting through this 2-hour movie felt like a lifetime. A boring, pointless, boring lifetime. Expand
  8. Dec 26, 2013
    The tale of 47 Ronin is an ancient one, embellished with honorable vengeance in an exotic setting. While such premise could draw people attention, but there also lies its weakness, it's severely predictable. Many have used simple already known concept and made it into fresh interesting watch, unfortunately for this movie spamming CG is not amongst the way to accomplish that. Hindered by poor acting, questionable cast and uneven storytelling, 47 Ronin feels detached and uninspiring despite its gorgeous visual.

From graphical standpoint, it's actually quite impressive. Mythical creatures roam its vibrant realm, colors are brightly sleek and the dark contrast makes for a good view. It's certainly up to par on other fantasy movies, although it does detract from more historical portrayal of feudal Japan. There's a bit exaggeration in it as well, almost as if it's a westernized version of Japan. Some scenes, especially with the quick battles or bizarre giant characters, have the grayish murky tone of medieval fantasy like The Hobbits, and while the style direction is a bit excessive, seeing kimono in brimming flamboyant dye is rather peculiar, it's acceptably eye pleasing.

Problems emerge when it tries to implement the story, which could be inspirational but remarkably falls flat. Keanu Reeves plays Kai, a half breed from an Englishman and a Japanese woman, the film's original character meant to portray an elevating underdog story, yet Reeves displays only one set of facial expression. He looks almost completely the same throughout the movie, there's barely any allure on seeing such monotonous hero. At the very least, his stiff performance can be considered as consistency, ironically so.

The use of English is awkward as well, The Last Samurai did the multilingual tone and it worked, so it could have used Japanese for more authenticity. There's a nagging feeling that something is amiss, specifically when the movie enters supposedly dramatic moments. Setting that aside, the script isn't exactly great either, most of the time it goes overly melodramatic, as if it wants the archaic feel of Japanese classic but delivered in mediocre English.

Casting is dubious, everyone has the samurai look and with boorish script, everyone is equally trapped in their respective dull role; there's your serious samurai and next to him are the sad samurai and funny samurai. Granted, there's not enough time to highlight them all, but none of them stand out or have the chance to perform to the fullest. Rinko Kikuchi, who earned Oscar and Golden Globe nomination for Babel, plays the evil witch, although her presence merely resembles a bitter high school cheerleader. The characters are just terribly shallow, when the leading male barely does robotic mumbles and the Oscar nominee looks that uncomfortable, it does nothing to draw the audience's interest.

During the two hours of its length, the flow feels fragmented, mainly because it consists of drab scenes with little beautiful vista sprinkled in between. There is no epic scale engaging skirmish to behold, just some small CG fights, which is odd since the appeal should be a smaller group of warriors against mightier force. It does boast a spectacle, but no amount of cosmetic can justify the bland use of Japanese classic.
  9. Dec 25, 2013
    47 Ronin is a serviceable action movie that fails to either capture the emotional essence of the titular tale or bring anything genuinely fresh, invigorating, or memorable to its rendition. Character, relationship, and coherent tone are all sacrificed in service of an attempt to capitalize on an idea that theoretically has an appeal across multiple markets. Mildly entertaining and gorgeous to look at, 47 Ronin has little beneath the surface to recommend it. There are a few good fights, though. Expand
  10. Dec 26, 2013
    RetroView25, Here again and 47Ronin is not is not a film to waste 2 hours of your life on to watch!!!

Number One I understand the fact that the story needs a half-breed character to tell this story but why does Hollywood constantly keep using caucasian actors to play the lead role of a character who based on ethic descent from the source material!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Dragonball
    Evolution circa 2009 anyone???

And YES: Keanu Reeves does have Chinese and Hawaiian descent from his Grandmother side, but a Half-Breed in Japanese culture usually means a Korean or someone having both Chinese & Japanese descent within them!!! Keanu Reeves comes off as a white guy not as a Half-Breed in this film!!! This is not the Matrix!!! And you saw how well "Man of Tai Chi" circa 2013 did for Mr. Reeves box office success at the box office, for his next role to be "Superman"; Get It !?!

Second: Why was the CGI so horrible??? Bringing flashbacks of "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" circa 2013... As, they spent $225 million on the budget on what??? Costumes???

Thirdly: If you came to watch for some High Entertaining Fight Scenes then YOU will leave severely wanting!!! I mean, Kai is supposed to have "Special Powers" which translate into seeing a fox with different colored eyes and some kind of Steve Winwood "Valerie" music video jump move performed twice in the film!!! You better off watching "The Blind Swordsman Zatoichi" circa 2003 or Rurouni Kenshin live action film circa 2012 instead for Feudal Japan Period films!!!

For extra credit: Azumi series, Ichi (2008), Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai (2011) and The Twilight Samurai (2002)...

Fourth: The translation of this beautiful and epic story got turned into a paint by the numbers picture film, that had more bathroom break scenes to make it a tv movie having built in commercial breaks... Where was the editing or pacing of this film to make it worth being TWO HOURS LONG!!! I got had easily slice it down into ONE HOUR including credit rolls!!! It's that type of film folks!!!

And lastly: What is with Hollywood having caucasian actors being the SAVIOR of another race or last of their kind!?!!?! What is UP with that??? The Last Samurai circa 2003 anyone??? Anyone??? The Last of the Mohicans Circa 1992 or Dances with Wolves circa 1990... Are YOU getting the picture to see the picture...

I would love to see a movie title Last of Caucasian" being played by a Lead Asian Role; now that would be irony to see that!!! LOL
  11. Dec 26, 2013
    Bad action scenes that come and go way too fast. Bad writing and dialgoue. A dull narrative and uninspired acting all around, and some great cg for a not so great everything else. I love Keanu Reeves as an actor, and I was sure I'd love this movie but 47 Ronin is nothing short of a colossal disappointment.
  12. Dec 26, 2013
    "I didn't ask you to build me a watch, I only asked what time it was." Seems this is very true for this particular film: Critics want to deconstruct it down to every nuance while making sure to factor in the original cost, how the CGI compares to other films, etc. What so many people, including critics, seem to forget is that most people go to the movies for entertainment. They don't care if the movie cost $1 or $1 billion to make. They don't care if the CGI wasn't as good as XYZ film or if a particular piece of dialogue wasn't great they simply want to be entertained for a couple hours. If it was widely publicized that it was made for only $40,000 would people have then said what a remarkable achievement it was?

47 Ronin was a big surprise in that sense as it simply didn't disappoint as so many said it would. Indeed, we bought our 3D tickets before we read any reviews and started regretting the purchase before even seeing the film. We finally decided to go ahead with what was sure to be a terrible movie ticket investment four hardcore movie watchers who can generally be pretty objective when it comes to movies. As it turned out, the movie was entertaining in virtually every respect.

Was it a great movie? Not necessarily, but it was good and certainly worth the ticket price. The story had a few lulls but none that inspired a "this is probably a good time to go to the bathroom" moment. The CGI was fine for 99% of the population, possibly excepting graphics designers and hardcore video game players. The dialogue was fine for 99% of the population, possibly excepting writers or professional speakers.

Instead, this movie entertained right from the start and had a plot line that followed just fine. Sure, sure, perhaps a couple "roll your eyes" romantic moments but that is no major sin. The action scenes were good with a couple very minor "huh?" spots. The ending wasn't my cup of tea, but would seem to hold true with the storyline and the samurai code of that day. But hey, how many people in the US are well-versed in those ancient traditions? Probably less than 1%. Which again leaves it as a satisfying film for the other 99% of us.
  13. Dec 28, 2013
    I, too, am truly shocked by the critic reviews.
    This movie was fantastic! It was moving, beautiful and truly entertaining! It deserves at least a solid 7, and I hope that I'm scoring it a ten the average score will be pushed up to the place where it belongs.
    Do not be out off by these reviews- if you want a solid, entertaining and moving film about the Samurai in Japan, this is a great
    film for you!
    Thoroughly enjoyable.
  14. Dec 28, 2013
    I just saw the movie, and I must say it´s really a Masterpiece. I enjoyed every second of it,

I really can´t understand why critic gave such low scores...
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    Surprised to hear that this didn't even do well in Japan. It's OK, but not the star among holiday films: Pedestrian, effects-laden, fantastical retelling of a Japanese legend with fluent English by the mostly Japanese cast so no subtitles needed. One of those films that makes you wonder what happened to that Ted Logan we grew up on all charm and spewing catchphrases? What process of maturing turned Keanu Reeves into this stone-faced, emotionless guy? With few spoken lines and just the expressions on their faces, the rest of the cast could communicate tragedy, malevolence, or pride, but our half-breed is so lacking in personality that the actor who played his younger version could infuse his small part of the script with more feeling. Oh well, if you're like me you just came to be immersed in a small, if totally fictional piece of Japanese culture and not watch Mr. Reeves play another version of Neo. Expand
  16. Jan 11, 2014
    47 Ronin is similar in feeling to "Immortals", "Conan the Barbarian" although really better than both of these, it is still not magnificent, but I surprisingly had a really good time throughout. The 3D is not the greatest ever, but has the 80's 3D effects of things popping out of the screen, deep and enjoyable. The plot is with no doubt similar to the above movies and has cliches but it is just a popcorn over the top film. Expand
  17. Dec 25, 2013
    It's ending maybe not satisfying for most audiences. But, 47 Ronin is a beautiful and entertaining adventure with a unique style and joyful dark tone.
  18. Jan 14, 2014
    though it has some dull action sequences in between..but the first 40 minutes and the ending truly kept me gripped onto the movie..And its definitely one of the most underrated films of 2013..its not that bad..
  19. Dec 27, 2013
    It's a real shame how bad this movie is because it has a very interesting, unique and promising ethos and premise, mixing Japenese culture with fantasy style adventure and lore. And with an all star cast what could go wrong? FLIPPING LOTS! Like bad story! Like bad action! Like bad characters! Like being exrusatingly dull and pointless! Why didn't they just make a film about the awesome background of this world, because at the moment it's the only thing stopping this movie from getting a 0! Expand
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    I was applaud at the low scores that was posted. This 47 Ronin was very good from start to finish. I am not a polished writer, however, this was definitely a movie that my Finance' & I truly enjoyed. It should not have been rated lower than a 7 or 8. Thanks for reading my rating.
  21. Dec 29, 2013
    My grandson and I went to see this movie today. The beginning was a little slow but once it got good it became AWESOME. Loved it. The 3D effect was amazing. I would recommend it highly.
  22. Dec 30, 2013
    I saw this movie last night after my brother offered to pay. I admit I had been influenced by all the bad critic reviews. After having a night to reflect on my experience I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what all the vitriol is about. It was well acted, a compelling story, action driven, and had a very satisfying ending. Hiroyuki Sanada's performance was exceptional. KR held his own. It never got sappy, or ridiculous. The CGI was well used. The emotion never seemed forced and the moments of humor were well-placed. The only thing this movie needed was some extended story and screen fight time with some of the characters on the fringes (the giant suit of armor guy and the pirate skeleton guy in particular). Was it the best movie I have seen this year, no, but this movie has no reason to be rated as low as it has been. Solid 7. Expand
  23. Dec 30, 2013
    Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu Keanu
  24. Jan 1, 2014
    I appreciated the originality. Most importantly the message behind this flick. Loyalty, honor and respect seem to be virtues that are lost in time and this movie brings those values back. Also loved the mixing of Japanese and Western American culture in this movie. Amazing visuals and attractive actors/actresses with a good plot. Not sure why other critics were so hard on this film, after all it's not supposed to be precise..it's an action-fantasy film, not a documentary Expand
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    A couple of hours with Keanu Reeves, what's not to like about that?!! I saw this film having never heard of the legend of the 47 Ronin & thoroughly enjoyed every second of it as did my 8 year old son. Honour, Loyalty & Bravery are something we would be hard pressed to find in today's society & these men were all that & more. It is a truly moving story to base a film upon & what a great film it is!
    I've heard lots of bad reviews about it & several derogatory comments about Mr Reeves acting skills & in particular his unchanging facial expressions throughout. Give the guy a break! They couldn't have cast anyone better to play the role of Kai & he played it beautifully. As for his facial expressions, well what can I say? The person he was playing didn't have a lot to smile about really did he?! Enough said!
    For anyone wondering if they should see this film or not I would definitely encourage you to do so. There's plenty of action for the boys, a bit of romance for the girls & if nothing else you will exit the cinema having learned the legend of the 47 Ronin.
    Would I watch it again? You're damn right I would! In fact I went back to see it this afternoon & was not disappointed!
  26. Jan 10, 2014
    Exiled samurai are called Ronin and 47 of them seek revenge when their master is killed by Japan's supreme warlord. They need the leadership of a noble half-breed (Keanu Reeves) to overcome mythical beasts, a powerful witch and a bunch of soldiers. This well-worn plot spends the first hour with lots of intrigue and a confusing array of characters. When it comes time to fight, the action is uninspired and unfocused. The only thing to recommend the film is the art direction: lovely scenery, stunning costumes and some cool effects. The overall outcome just feels flat: never particularly involving or exciting. Expand
  27. Jan 2, 2014
    I was very excited about this movie but in the first two minutes it was clear no one was steering. The opening dialogue just repeated what you were already seeing. This is not a character movie but a plot movie that cultures which value the group over the individual would enjoy more. The movie just moved from scene to scene to keep the story plotting along. What really drove me crazy was that leaders don't have to be responsible for their bad decisions and that the greatest sin was disobedience not wrongs. Not something that the culture in north america would understand. Also the insertion of magic that undermined us taking the consequences seriously. Expand
  28. Dec 28, 2013
    I don't understand why this movie is getting such poor reviews. It's a good story with some really good action scenes. It's not boring or slow I was enthralled the whole time. And the ending is unforgettable. The critics need to get a clue and quit taking themselves so seriously. I almost passed on a good movie because of poor reviews.
  29. Apr 22, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed this fil. I even bought it on Blu-Ray after watching it in the theater. I really dont understand the bad reviews from the critics. And everyone Ive seen the movie with has a generally positive reaction to it. I view it is a fantasy flick, full of sorcary and demons set in Japan. A fantasy depiction of a real event. Nothing wrong with that. I just think that the all japanese cast except for Mr. Reeves didnt flow well with the american audience and the fact that as the main character keanu Reeves didnt rub too well with japanese audiences. However these racial issues were addressed in the film an justified. Keanu Reeves character was a half breed and it was well established and in context to the story of the film. And i can appreciate the all Japanese cast, if the film is set in japan, it should be that way. It was also a very pretty film to watch, especially on a large or 3D TV. The depiction of japan and characters wardrobe were absolutly awsome. The story telling was good and so was the pacing. So i dont get all the bad criticism the film has gotten. Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    Ultimately I enjoyed this movie as just a movie but what really sets it back is having the fantasy elements thrown in. This true legend of the 47 Ronin doesn't need fireballs and a mystical hair demon lady, it made the experience more cartoonish than serious. Another dropping point is Keanu Reaves, a random white guy samurai who's acting capability compares to the plank of wood people call Kristen Stewart. Luckily for this film Hiroyuki Sanada makes up for everything, he is a fantastic actor. I really enjoyed that they used mostly Japanese actors but again, they're speaking in english. I do not mean to insult or sound like a jerk but their accents added to the hilariousness of the film. When the shogunate speaks it's just funny. This is very unfortunate because Japanese is such a bad ass sounding language filled with great emotion. Had they allowed the actors to speak Japanese it would have elevated the experience. But for whatever reason Keanu Reaves had to be there.
    Another issue I have, that isn't the biggest deal, but it was PG13. Which means people get cut by a katana and there's no blood. That doesn't swing with me, the sharpest blade in history will make you bleed. Much like my issue with Krueger in Elysium, the giant towering fear-invoking demon samurai never really did anything in this movie and his death was an absolute cop out.
    This movie had so much potential to tell and recreate a true epic story. But it falls flat by trying to rely on the mystical and made up. Just tell the story, not every movie needs a dragon.
  31. Dec 30, 2013
    I honestly do not know what the critics are smoking. This movie is fairly decent. Do I want see it again? Not in the theater, but most definitely when it comes out on Netflix or Redbox.
  32. Jan 7, 2014
    Decent movie. understand some of the complaints on storytelling, but enough action to keep it interesting. beautiful shots here and there, some fun creatures, decent swordplay. could have been better as many movies can, but an enjoyable cold winter day story.
  33. Dec 27, 2013
    I thought it was an enjoyable fantasy-action movie with a special style and an unexpected ending (I didn’t know the Japanese legend). It was well worth the entrance fee and the time spent watching it.
  34. Dec 26, 2013
    A great Japanese fantasy tale, filled with epic samurai upholding social order ahead of their own lives.The film does a great job of showing that duty and honor to ones lord is far more important than adventure. By battling against those who would the rules of society as a weapon these men face the ultimate challenge, returning order to the world. The ending is suitable dramatic, but not what a western audience might expect. Where the film does fall short in its ability to explain to a western audience why the Samurai do what they do, those who are not knowledgeable about feudal japan will have a hard time understanding the motivations of the characters. 47 Ronin is a legendary tale in Japan culture, and this was a fun if not fantastical telling. Worth the watch, but just remember to do a little homework before you go for maximum enjoyment. Expand
  35. Dec 28, 2013
    Wow don't understand very low scores from some viewers or so called "critics".Movie wasn't a masterpiece of course but I found it enjoyable.If you are looking for non-stop action with crazy over the top special effects on every corner then you are better off staying home.For the rest of you ,please familiarize yourself with the legend of 47 Ronin and then go see a movie and try to enjoy yourself. Expand
  36. Dec 30, 2013
    If you need to have the term "second" in relation to seppuku explained, perhaps this movie wasn't made for you. Without a passing knowledge on Japanese culture you may feel lost, especially in the act of speaking without speaking, the language of bows, distance, eye contact and other nonverbal cues. For those who've not at least been exposed to Kurosawa or really any small amount of jidaigeki, themes and core aspects of the film will likely be lost on you and the film doesn't hold your hand through the some of the tougher material. Anyone who saw this film and thought Keanu Reeves was the star was mistaken. Keanu is a viewpoint character for (western) viewers. Hiroyuki Sanada is the star of this story of betrayal, revenge and misplaced but well-intentioned bushido. The fantastic aspects are simply flash on the side that embellish a long embellished story and expose uninitiated audiences to the alien mythos of Japan. They aren't necessary, but they add elements those in the know will appreciate.

That's not to say the film is perfect. Other than a brief but solid set piece involving the aforementioned mystical elements (and a great and novel interpretation of a classic Japanese race of creatures), the second act is sloppy with far too rapid scene cuts, dissolving from one to the next without a fair share between the lot as if to remind the viewers that certain characters are indeed still in the film. After that, the third act rolls on without a hitch to an excellent climax and a bittersweet finish that might leave oblivious westerners with a sour taste.

This reviewer noticed that apparently many reviewers were "forced" to buy a ticket themselves to see the film (oh the horror!) and wonders if it's too beyond the pale that their reviews were especially rotten for this reason. In any case, it's worth noting that while a certain aggregate site has critic reviews at around 10%, the audience review is closer to 65% (which is approximately the same here). If 47 Ronin looks interesting to you, you'll probably like it. Ignore critic reviews since they seem to have a natural aversion to scifi and fantasy, really anything that requires suspension of disbelief (beyond Keanu Reeves' ability to emote). Check it out at a matinee showing with some friends and judge it for yourself.

(The only real gripes I have are that the swordplay is more European--sword clashes are almost never okay with katana unless you want a chipped or shattered sword--and the Dutch pirate with the skeleton tattoo makes a cameo appearance at most.)

Also, complaints about inaccuracies or additions to the film ring hollow for me. The Chushingura has been told countless times in bunraku and kabuki plays, other films by Japanese directors, and even in opera and on and on. This is a new and original take on the story and should not be discounted due to tertiary liberties.
  37. Jan 2, 2014
    I totally enjoyed this movie... I don't get how the critics favor anchorman over this movie...personally I refuse to go see what is already obviously an obnoxious stupid movie...anyhow... 47 Ronin was beautifully shot, good storyline, good acting, good costumes, awesome special effects...and loved the action shots as well... while it may not have been historically accurate... it's a beautiful movie. Anyhow... I enjoyed it personally....perhaps its due to my growing up watching all the Kungfu, Karate movies in our old movie house as a kid... If you like Asian action films... I recommend this one. Expand
  38. Jan 5, 2014
    I personally enjoyed this film I can see critics point of view in some aspects of the movie, yet I found that the stunning visuals and the intense plot rescued some of the dull and boring aspects, such as the acting. However, the only noticeable actress that I believe deserves some sort of recognition, is the Japanese lady who plays the witch with two different eye colours. I wouldn't recommend the film to everyone, but overall, the film deserves 6 out of 10. Expand
  39. Jan 7, 2014
    Fantastic film about a legend from the East. Definitely worth it. The story with battles, philosophy and revenge what else you need? It was wonderful story. And the final was great.
  40. Jan 10, 2014
    I went into this movie with essentially no expectations. After a cursory glance at reviews I thought it would be a mindless throw-away experience. However, I could not have been more wrong.

This movie surpassed all of my expectations. I enjoyed the meld of the feudal Japanese setting, the un-overt use of fantasy elements infused with the legend of the 47 ronin.

As far as I
    remember, the major plot points were covered and I was pleased to see that the end of the story was not changed to accommodate most cheesy Hollywood endings. It's an ending that Western audiences may not understand as being "happy" without having some knowledge of the Bushido code.

In terms of pacing, I felt that the movie moved along at a brisk pace - never at any moment did I feel a scene overstayed it's welcome. In comparison, when I watched Hobbit: Desolation recently, I fell asleep probably 2-3 times due to many of the over-drawn scenes.

Overall, I thought it was a great, entertaining movie. I really don't understand the major disparity between the critic and user reviews. If you are an action, fantasy, or adventure movie buff, I highly recommend this movie to you. Don't bother even considering the largely incorrect reviews from the so-called "pros".
  41. Apr 20, 2014
    this movie is great, c'mon! ok, it's to lame the skull men don't show more and the ending are sad but the story, the CGI and i'm not going to Keanu Reeves are great! it sad that woman with two diferent eyes don't fight more with keanu but still great
  42. Jun 3, 2014
    Takes the historical true story and infuses it with elements of mystical beasts, magic, and witches. This and the ham-fisted and occasionally goofy dialog do make it hard to take the movie too seriously. I did enjoy the action scenes a lot and wish there were more of them. It's the moments between the action that lower my score for the movie. There's nothing particularly wrong with the slower scenes, it's just that nothing really entertaining happens in them. Still, these scenes are at least watchable.

I didn't really find anything terrible about the film at all. Yes I would have preferred more of the cool action scenes, but the moments in between didn't bore me even if they didn't necessarily entertain. It's a highly watchable film, but I recommend only a rental and only when other options have been exhausted. If you liked the trailers you should find something to like here, I just recommend you don't expect anything particularly great. My total score is a 6.1/10=Okay.
  43. Mar 23, 2014
    The ratings this movie received are just bizarre. The movie was really good. The movie is not your run of the mill adventure. Less formulaic than most movies of this type. This movie is worth seeing.
  44. May 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty dull - a film killed by very uneven pacing, poor acting and frustrating plotting. You wait 45 minutes for the movie to start then when all the action finally starts happening it's over really quickly. Keanu Reeves isn't convincing in the main role and his love interest isn't convincing either. You never really feel that there's any connection between them. The samurai are all pretty nameless. The witch is annoying and out of place. The film portrays feudal Japan very convincingly but you keep getting tolkien-esque monsters cropping up all the time that jar against everything else. The action, when it happens, is decent but it's either a famine or a feast. They all commit suicide at the end, which left me feeling very cheated with a feeling of what was all the point of it all. The most frustrating thing is that you could really feel that there was a great film in here that was sunk by all the lousy editing, poor acting and bad plot choices. Could have been on a level with the Lord of the Rings films but at the end of the day they simply got too much wrong. Expand
  45. Mar 4, 2014
    Based on the critic scores you would think it's akin to a Uwe Boll movie, but it's only real sin is not being an historical account (which it never pretends to be). It's a fantasy-action movie set in feudal Japan; passable acting, cool fight scenes, a stylised color palette, and certainly better than a lot of other Hollywood movies from the last 2 years.
  46. Jan 14, 2014
    I don't know where these critics are found. Thanks to the viewers comments I watched this movie and I was not disappointed at all. Enjoyable film, good storyline and you get to learn a bit abut Japanese culture. I think from now on I will stick to the viewer's reviews. These critics are rubbish. Maybe they get paid to promote certain films, who knows!
  47. Mar 31, 2014
    Just a god awful movie. I really can not describe it any better than that. I couldn't even get past the first 3 minutes of it before getting sick of it.
  48. Jan 21, 2014
    This movie was nothing like what I expected. I rarely watch trailers, but I had seen the one for 47 Ronin. It felt like mostly fantasy, whereas the movie is very grounded in reality. Sure, some witchcraft and creatures are involved, but the movie tries to stick very close to cultural and historical Japan. Actually fantasy is smartly spread out throughout the movie, keeping the storytelling alive. I was not bored one second while watching it. It is a little odd that 99% of the cast is Japanese yet they are all speaking English. I would rather have seen the movie made in Japanese. But once I got over that, I was fine with it. Keanu Reeves sternness plays well in the Samurai world. I can see why the movie isn't getting a warm reception in the States. Apart from the language, the direction does nothing to cater to American audiences, which are probably used to a faster pace and not as grim an atmosphere for that kind of movie. Expand
  49. May 24, 2014
    This movie was too hard to follow and didn't have a good plot. It was just a loose script based on an old Japanese legend wit a few good fight scenes just to keep the audience interested.
  50. Mar 30, 2014
    UNFAIR and unjustified negative reviews ; it's na action movie like so many other. Grab popcorn and enjoy a trip to japan with cool special effects and retelling of na ancient legend. It's not crouching tiger nor doesnt tit need to be.
  51. Dec 31, 2013
    I see why many critics weren't happy with 47 Ronin. The plot was predictable and well-worn in places as was some of the dialogue. But it was a fun action picture with lovely cinematography. Keanu Reeves does facial expression nuances well. I went into it knowing it wasn't going to be winning any awards for thoughtfulness and depth, and I came out satisfied, having enjoyed this movie for exactly what it was. Expand
  52. Feb 9, 2014
    Movie is ok,nothing bad as critics suggests ,Not an oscar material or comes with a serious character development but enough unpredictable script and good fight scenes and 3d effects make it quite watchable.
  53. Mar 22, 2014
    Dont believe the reviews, really well made fantasy adventure I really wonder sometimes where reviews get there scores from, group think, give this one a look if its your type of movie I enjoyed it.
  54. Mar 31, 2014
    I'm looking at all the reviews for this and I don't really understand what's going on. I appreciate what the director did with this movie, he gave us what would normally be a niche authentically Japanese samurai movie and made it slightly accessible to Western audiences, which I think is the problem. People watched the trailer and thought "yay, cool fights with monsters and samurai and ****" etc. That is not what this movie is. This isn't a fast-paced Hollywood action film, this is an almost slow-paced movie about Feudal Japan and everything associated with it. I liked it, I thought it was cool. And a breath of fresh air from all the actiony, CGI-fest crap that we're used to. Expand
  55. Apr 1, 2014
    West meets east like the movie 'The Last Samurai'. Visually impressive movie from the debutant director. It was based on the Japanese history of 47 samurais who are on the verge to avenge their master's death. But the movie was more fictional than realistic and soared with great CGI touch.

This is second in a row for Keanu Reeves, whose movie is attached to easter culture or history. As
    for this story his facial look was well blended with mixed race, half British and half Japanese. Sadly, it was not shot inside the Japan, not even a single shot, but you know todays computer graphics can bring any kind of atmosphere.

The movie about samurais mean most of them won't have a happy ending. If you are familiar with this genre you will be well known about what seppuku means. Yeah the movie deals with some serious matters like that apart from fictional extend of history. It was a crucial performance by Keanu Reeves among other faces. But the real letdown was some key moments of the movie, like many scenes were depicted Hollywood style fantasies. I truly missed Japanese techniques in film presentation, but will please the western audience.

It was a nice collaboration between American filmmakers and Japanese cast. In the end the result came very convincing, but should have been better. It was a good watch without anticipating much from it. The movie will fall in not too bad and not too good list.
  56. Feb 13, 2014
    Keanu Reeves may not be the best actor working today. His monotone delivery is one that is easily recognized and yet constantly scrutinized by critics and audiences alike. Ironically enough, Reeves has been one of the most bankable stars working in the last two decades, always recouping a film’s budget if not surpassing it altogether and drawing in huge profits. Unfortunately, Reeves has had a taste of his first blockbuster bomb, and after almost 20 years as a recognized Hollywood star, it’s admirable to know that it took this long for him to have a bomb of a film. What’s more admirable in the Reeves canon, however, is how dedicated he is to honouring Asian culture and his constant efforts to preserve the integrity and authenticity of folklore throughout its transition to the big screen. For that, Reeves is an actor who may not be in-line for an Oscar but one who I am proud to call a fine Canadian and preserver of ancient Japanese and Chinese culture.

Born in Lebanon from a native English mother and Hawaiian father with Chinese, Portuguese, and Irish ancestry, Reeves encapsulates the cultural mosaic that is Canada. Raised as a Canadian, and identifying as such, Reeves is front and centre in 47 Ronin–an American take on Japanese folklore, featuring a Canadian film star, American director and a predominantly Japanese cast. Now talk about a blend of cultures for the sake of art.

47 Ronin is not a terrible film by any means. Instead, the film surfaces as a very loyal, overly-spectacular and highly embellished account of Japanese culture and history. With the addition of witchcraft, demons, monsters, half-breeds and stylistic alter-world entities, the film at times feels like a dated piece of cinema which loses much of its extravagant special effects credit due to its elongated production time and the context in which it is presented. 47 Ronin succeeds in its focus on the Japanese tale, highlighting the essential themes of honour, dignity, loyalty, and duty, as opposed to the more obvious spectacles of mystical creatures inhabiting a special-effects laden world.

The story begins with Kai (Reeves), an outcast boy who is the offspring of a British sailor and peasant Japanese woman. When a young Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada) finds Kai in a nearby forest, he believes that the boy is possessed and was raised by demons. Saved by master Lord Asano (Min Tanaka) and adopted into the town, Kai lives a life where he is barely visible to anyone–except Princess Mika (Kô Shibaski) who he is secretly falling in love with. After many years of becoming the designated “half-breed” of the village, Kai integrates into the town and just survives. It is not until Shogun Tsunayoshi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) arrives to the town for a traditional ceremony when neighbouring town leader and power-hungry Lord Kira (Tabanobu Asano) and his witch-crafting mistress (Rinko Kikuchi) sabotage Lord Asano, leading him to his death. Outcastes like Kai, the remaining soldiers under Lord Asano’s reign become Ronin (a samurai with no Lord or Master). Oishi, the leader of Lord Asano’s army, is imprisoned for a year. Upon his release, Oishi begins a plan to avenge Lord Asano’s death with the help of Kai and the remaining Ronin against Lord Kira.

In 1997, Reeves met virtually unknown yet soon-to-be star choreographer Tiger Hu Chen while making The Matrix. As time passed, the two became good friends and Chen taught Reeves much of the old and almost lost techniques of the Japanese and Chinese cultures. Through Chen, Reeves was able to gain a new appreciation for a culture that ran through his blood, but seemed almost forgotten. In the five years it took to make 47 Ronin, Reeves was able to still act in other films and make his feature film directorial debut with The Man of Tai Chi, starring his friend Chen. Reeves, who has Chinese blood in his ancestry, seems almost destined for roles like Kai. With that said, it is so unfortunate that a tale with such fibre and poignancy, was done so poorly and half-heartedly.

47 Ronin is a stylized and fantastical reimagining of the classic tale with giants and witches–but not much heart. Taking cues from The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as action sequences from Troy, Ronin is an exhausted, lacklustre fantasy adventure with a sword’s edge that isn’t quite as sharp as we’d like. The most moving scenes in the film involve those around the ritual suicide (seppuku) of its one-dimensional characters and the betrayal by lust each character faces within the film.

Unfortunately for the film, it seems that it will be remembered more so for its box-office failure than for the story itself. Opening a week prior in Japan to dismal reviews and a poor box-office response, it seems impossible that the film has any real chance of making back its ridiculous $175 million budget domestically or internationally.
  57. Dec 30, 2013
    Is it perfect? Heck no. Is it a fun popcorn movie? YES. I loved it and will definitely get the bluray/dvd if it has the Japanese tracks included. The best parts were the visuals in the fight sequences and use of colors to give mood to each scene. It needed some balancing, story and character development wise, but it was a fun and enjoyable movie.
  58. May 9, 2014
    They really should have let a Japanese director do this. Apart from the misleading narration and the exaggerated graphics, this film also lacks the profundity and strength the original story communicates, which is, true, very difficult to grasp if you weren't born and raised in Japan. As for Keanu Reeves, whom everybody keeps panning, he was an obvious marketing choice. Again, if they had let this be done by an all-Japanese crew, I think it would have been a wonderful piece of foreign cinema, faithful to the story and theme of the legend. I'd watch Princess Mononoke a thousand times over this. Expand
  59. Apr 4, 2014
    I was really disappointed by this film! It had been talked up by many of my friends and it just did not deliver in anyway that I though it would. I number one thing that i really hated was that it seemed like Keanu Reeves character was swept aside from the get go in favor of the rest of the supporting cast! Along with that most of the decisive plot points were very cleache and the few actions scenes the movie did have did not deliver on thrills or action really cause most of them end up being rather short... Overall 47 Ronin was a film that i really wanted to like but ended up being very disappointing! Expand
  60. Dec 29, 2013
    While there are some good visuals and 3-D, what it lacks is originality. There's nothing new about this movie, while it's not terrible, it's not worth remembering. Overall, ehh! I give it a C-! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies!
  61. Apr 28, 2014
    I was prepared for the worst in this movie, scrambled plot, wooden acting from Mr Reeves, incoherence, plot holes.....

If you do not know the story of 47 Ronin, then I am sure you will be baffled by the poor review. The film is beautiful to watch,, cinematography is astounding, the art direction is world class, sound design is spot on, and Keanu is used to his best.

Please, take the
    leap and make up your own mind! Expand
  62. Mar 21, 2014
    All the action the movie has can be seen in the trailer. The acting is not what made the movie bad, i can't even put my finger on what made it bad exactly, all i can say is that it's a very boring movie, you keep waiting to the action to start only to see the movie is about to end and no decent action scene was seen.
  63. Feb 12, 2014
    This movie is okay, its not the best, the acting can be awkward and the plotline can be predictable. I also don't like that the main character is White, but still this movie is okay and it don't deserve a 27/100. It should deserve a 60/100.
  64. Jan 9, 2014
    An Ok action movie with average (boring) characters and mediocre plot! Although it delivers great atmosphere of samurai Japan with well done costumes and decorations! But everything else is just on average quality
  65. Jan 22, 2014
    They made great efforts to turn a 47 japanese ronin revenge story to a 1 non-japanese ronin romantic story. Well done! We don't really need the monsters and many scenes are pointless.
  66. Dec 29, 2013
    The critics are overreacting ,this is a good movie full of great action and smart CG .Finally we can see how an Asian Dragon would look like in a Hollywood film
  67. Jan 21, 2014
    Again, the critics show how much out of touch they are with the mainstream general public, as Oscar season approaches they tend to write astonishingly poor reviews and slight any film that would not be considered for an Oscar in attempt to be taken seriously, it is always a bad time to release a movie, especially a fantasy one.
    Thankfully, many of us know to ignore these misguided
    miscreants and their tireless waffle, and this is one such occasion where it does bear fruit to do just that, the critics have yet again, got it horrendously wrong.
    47 Ronin is never going to be blockbuster, it attempts to fit into the gap between a cult movie and blockbuster, whilst never really looking to acheiving either, a very similar approach taken with one of Keanu's other successes....The Matrix, nevertheless, still an entertaining movie.
    While never hitting the dizzy heights of The Matrix, it does contain enough visual delight to keep the film rolling at a steady pace and does keep your attention, the film has a respectable cast and they all perform admirably in their respective roles.
    The movie is a thoroughly enjoyable piece of fantasy and a good vehicle for Keanu, this is where he feels most at home, and the story works to his strengths, he is essentially calling on his experience and throwing in his Neo coolness to good effect, think Neo as a Samurai/Ronin and you will get a good feel of how the film is acted out.
    The fighting scenes are nothing particurlarly spectacular, which is a bit of shame, but there are some nice touches here and there, certainly nothing approaching Crouching Tiger martial arts to be had here, but still entertaining nonetheless, however, the swordplay is exquisite and the choreography is well thought out.
    Overall a very entertaining film, it's not going to reach blockbuster lever, but it certainly does not deserve the ridiculous and unwarranted gutter trash the critics have written, the film just serves to remind many of us that critics should not be taken seriously or warrant merit, the times they have led filmgoers astray over the quality of a movie beggars belief and this is very much a case in point.
    As you can see from the users reviews, it's a film that you shouldn't expect the best from, but it is certainly far from being the worst.
  68. Mar 9, 2014
    Pretty decent movie. I think it's just pathetic how people rate this movie bad, just because they hate Keanu Reeves for some **** reason.
    Go and watch the movie, you probably won't be dying to buy it on dvd/blue-ray afterwards, but it's surely worth watching one time.
  69. Apr 30, 2014
    This film reminded me a lot Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - spectacular scenes, awesome fighting and the forbidden love scenario. Although based on a true story, I imagine the dragons and witches that appear in a cloud of smoke are not in the true story! I have marked the film down only because I was left at the end feeling a little empty but the film itself is stunning and exciting. I won't be watching it again though. Expand
  70. Feb 7, 2014
    47 Ronin es una película media, una 50/50, de esas que te entretiene más que nada el final y el desarrollo en ocasiones es absurdo y aburrido, pero contiene una bizarra y original forma de representar la cultura japonesa. Si van a verla que sea bajo el consentimiento de que solo van a ver una película para divertirse un rato comiendo palomitas y hablando de lo que van a hacer cuando termine la película; nada especial, nada del otro mundo, solamente lo justo y necesario. Expand
  71. Apr 22, 2014
    I think the real purpose of the movie is finding people who are even worse at acting than Keanu Reeves. In that perspective, this movie is quite successful. Other than that just a complete waste of time...
  72. Jan 1, 2014
    A very good story, fantastic visuals, and well-executed action scenes make this a fun film to watch. It's probably guilty of trying to do too much in the span of a couple of hours, but what you get makes for an enjoyable trip to the theater. Like others, I'd give this a solid 8, but am adding +2 due to the 0s to 2s being put out there by people with motives beyond the film's merit.
  73. Jan 15, 2014
    i really enjoyed this movie, but i can see why people didn't like it. It's really a movie for people who either really like samurai or really like old Japan related stuff. The movie was very beautiful and had a good atmosphere, and awesome characters. There really isn't much that i don't like about this movie.
  74. Apr 5, 2014
    With Keanu Reeves being his usual expressionless self, all I can say for this movie is that it has a cool concept. Otherwise, the audio sounds dubbed even though the actors aren't speaking in Japanese, none of the characters have depth of any sort, and the ending feels like a rip off from Crouching Tiger.

On the plus side, at least there were a lot of shiny swords and some amazingly
    beautiful shots. But a few great scenes don't save a lousy film. Expand
  75. Jan 8, 2014
    47 is a very slow movie....the first 40 minutes of the movie are god awfully boring. Many of the characters are forgettable besides the two main ones. Reeves is little more than marketing, he doesn't add too much and his role is largely pointless. It's a pretty movie though....but thats it. Save your money
  76. Dec 27, 2013
    Great movie and storyline. I highly recommended this movie for those people who wants a movie ala 300. Its based on a true story about the japanese samurai warriors.
  77. Dec 30, 2013
    The movie lacks something, but nevertheless i enjoyed the two hours.

The characters in this film are so thin causing that you really don't feel anything for them and therefore the whole vengeance theme is not really working for me as well as the whole love interest plot.

The start of the movie is OK although the voice over beginning is boring, the end is also pretty impressive with
    some very good CGI.

The second act of this movie is the problem, a lot of things feel very rushed in the second act. And this is the part where you should start to feel attached to the characters and want them to succeed in their quest for their revenge.

I don't really say this very often as in most cases less is more this movie could have used and extra 15 to 30 minutes.

And why did they made this movie in 3D, I'm no fan of the whole 3D movies as they tend to try to make up a weak plot and characters with an extra dimension and this doesn't work. And it feels like this again in this film because it really didn't add anything in the movie experience.

But non the less it was enjoyable to watch which just pushed this movie into a 6.
  78. Jan 2, 2014
    What the hell is wrong with crtics this movie was not as bad as they say, could it have been done better, yes but it is not the worst thing this year. Justin Beiber took that.
  79. Jan 2, 2014
    I enjoyed the movie. It had good visuals and good casting, but the pg rating and the bad Japanese accents pretty much ruined it for me. This is a samurai movie with tons of sword fighting but not a drop of blood. This movie might appeal more to a young teen, i don't hate this movie but think it could have been so much better.
  80. Jan 3, 2014
    The meaning of a movie is to entertain. 47 Ronin delivers entertainment from start to end. Do not listen to non-sense negative reviews that try to compare the film with history. This is science-fiction history at its best.
  81. Jan 3, 2014
    The infantile reviews that give this a zero are mystifying. The visuals were solid. The acting was solid. The overall story pacing was consistent with an epic fantasy sci-fi saga. If you went in expecting reality, you might want to watch a trailer first! Loved it from start to finish. The gentlemen using the word "hubris" in his review should burn in the depths of inferno for having the gall to assume that anything that deviates from their taste allows them to castigate others. Expand
  82. Jan 4, 2014
    It's difficult to understand for me this critic reviews, because" 47Ronin" is a beautiful refined story, where magic of feudal Japan located near with phantasy legends of honor and bravery. The oriental flavor transforms this film in the new impression.
  83. Jan 4, 2014
    I think that many was thinking to get something really fresh and original as the matrix was there is many yeras. That's not a bad movie but not the big return of Keanu Reeves on screen.
  84. Jan 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plot: extremely generic and predictable. I mean, I could literally tell the ending from the start. You can TOTALLY tell he's gonna use his forbidden magic one last time to kill that witch, and it's so cliché it hurts my brain.

Graphics and photography: very good. The animations integrate perfectly with the overall style and you don't think it's fake for one second.
    But Avatar already has taken the spot of "amazing visuals-no plot" movie.

I was gonna give it a 5, but I gave it a 4 because the protagonist is like, the only Caucasian character in the whole movie. Regardless of plot, it was an obvious attempt to appeal to us westerners.
    BUT I gave it 5 stars in the end because of the ending. The mass harakiri thing was the only thing that saved the movie from being a dumb "warrior-loves-girl-and-fights-everything-till-he-gets-her-back" abomination-- instead it adds a bittersweet taste that makes you FEEL like the movie conveys a message. (There's none except for the, also cliché, "do the right thing even if it gets you killed" motto.)
  85. Jan 14, 2014
    The cast is good, the movies is quite slow - and lacks the exciting factor all together.
    If it is mean to tell a story, it failed to express it. if it is meant to provide adventure, it went wrong.

the action is quite dull - very dull, and the acting is not impressive for this caliber of movies.
  86. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I feel sorry for Japanese people, for having one of their legends, well, let's face it raped, by Hollywood, I also feel sorry for Keanu Reeves, this will most kill his already dead career, and don't get me wrong, I love Keanu Reeves, he was great in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, Point Break, Speed, The Devil's Advocate, The Matrix, and even some underrated movies like Constantine, and Street Kings, but here he is dull, fighting against crappy fake looking CGI pieces of crap, and the movie just feels like a bore, with lame corny dialogue, and terrible CGI fights. Expand
  87. Mar 29, 2014
    Excellent film, really enjoyed the unique story line and was hooked all the way through. I do not agree with the critic reviews, this film is a real gem and deserves to be watched. Captivating story, truly wonderful visual effects & scenery.
  88. Jan 17, 2014
    A good attempt to tell a classical Japanese story, but as much as I wanted Keanu Reeves and this movie to do well. It fell well short of its mark.

Too much smashed into 1 story, the set up for the premise of the whole narrative ate too much time at the start of the movie for you to really develop any real connection to the characters. You never really are FOR the good guys and don't
    really hate the bad guys too much, because you just don't know about them too well. The only character that mattered was the over-weight funny guy. He seemed to the only one who had any depth compared to all the other one dimensional "angry Samurai" in the movie.

The fantasy and the fighting sequence were OK, but for a movie that was based in a semi-fantasy world. There was hardly enough to make it a spectacle (even if it took away from the plot-line) and by today's action sequence standards, the fights were a little to plain. From movies like the original Bourne series to the Jackie Chan movies where realism and action scenes meet, this wasn't risky. It had an element of fantasy which they could have played off for action scenes and even worked into the plot line.
    However the movie really doesn't really exploit this, which I think cost it dearly in terms of engaging an audience.

All in all, its a decent pop corn movie. I watched in 2D but from what I could tell it might have made a decent 3D movie it terms of value.
    But for a story line and as whole, not a movie I would recommend to many.

But keep at it Keanu, your a fantastic actor and would pay in heartbeat to watch the next movie you put out. (No sarcasm here)
  89. Jan 17, 2014
    In all honesty, I can't find a thing I don't love about it. Visually breathtaking, heartfelt and earnest. Chock-full of incredible actors (I know Keanu's usually meh, but his performance was good). Action and choreography were very nice. Enough funny to keep it light, nice balance of action and dialogue.
  90. Jan 20, 2014
    I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and cannot understand the criticsreviews. It was definitely a fun ride thought the Japanese culture, amazing costumes and landscapes. The action sequences were well done and better than most. There was a feel of high end production on set designs which added to the experience. Definitely one to put on your watch list. Enjoy it for what it is. thumbs up.
  91. Mar 18, 2014
    What a train wreck! An interesting idea turned itself into a 175 million dollar mess of a movie, with a terrible script, uneven pacing, baffling editing and ridiculously bad CGI. AND it's sooooooo boring.
  92. Feb 1, 2014
    why so many bad films are in theater? Have anyone a taste of good film??? I hope some time answer will be known. Genres: Action - have saw some fights , Adventure - they travel little bit Drama - white guy love Japanese; Fantasy - a lot of it! some dragons, witches and other strange staff maybe in separate parts it would be good, but together that make one of the most boring film which was produces last month.
    That is film which will waist your time anytime you would like to see it. With company of friends or girlfriend(s), anyway - waist your time
  93. Mar 30, 2014
    Nothing. No dialogues, no acting, no visual effects, no story. Why they speak english? Reeves´ lack of skills does nothing to improve it. A shame and waste of time
  94. Feb 3, 2014
    I cannot believe the low scores this film has been getting. The plot is good, the theme is well stabilished and explored through the movie and the ending was great. They do not take the easy way out with the script. The visual effects are sometimes cheesy but most of the time they are pretty cool and are not overdone.

The creature design is great! (the beast, the tengu and the dragon
    are excepcional) Only the Kitsune Fox 3D model was kind of wonky. Some good enough acting from most of the cast. Keanu reeves acting is decent in the initial parts of the movie, when he was more of a subservient character. His performance is kind of bland, but it make sense with the role he is playing.

I would like them to have made a better job with the wardrobe, it was too inconsistent, going from over the top to very bland.
  95. Feb 3, 2014
    47 Ronin isn't bad it's just disappointing
    Cons-it's basically a snooze-fest, pathetic pacing, scenes are pointless, sloppy acting, bad casting decisions, bad dialogue
    Pros-Simple Premise
    Recommendation-People who want to go to sleep
  96. Feb 5, 2014
    This movie is perfect just to watch, no thinking, just enjoying. The plot is silly and the effects can be a bit dodgy at times which would be why critics have panned it, but on the whole I really enjoyed it.
  97. Feb 12, 2014
    Well, I understand that many aspects were made up just for the movie. Also, I understand it departed from the original events considerably... going as far as to introduce supernatural events. But I have to admit, I liked it. It all seemed to tie nicely together and the pace was good. Actors were up to the task and last but most certainly not least... the soundtrack was phenomenal!
  98. Jun 30, 2014
    The trailers made this film look like something it was not. Totally misleading and that is why I did not see it. I rented it from Redbox and I did not like it. It is a decent film for some elements concerning the history and tradition of the story, but largely a mess of a film and Mr Reeves should retire and I like the man. Bad marketing killed this movie, but the movie was still bad
  99. May 3, 2014
    Wow, I'm sorry I listened to the hate and missed seeing this in 3D on the big screen. Really enjoyed it. Dialogue a little clunky b/c the Japanese actors are stuck speaking in English, but story is solid, action is amazing, and the imagery is memorable.

I think critics saw Keanu reeves and lazily dismissed the movie. Much easier to make fun of Keanu for being a white guy in a Japanese
    movie, then actually consider the merits of a film. Expand
  100. Mar 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was, by far, the most accurate samurai movie I have ever seen. Allow me to explain myself...

The story, never has a dull moment, every scene, every line of dialogue serves a purpose. Each leading to the next scene.. It is a constant adventure.. Leading to an amazing action sequence at the end.

As a current Film student, I have come to realize the Artistic side of film, and using Cinematic Grammar as a way to tell the story. The Shogun is always dressed in Gold/Yellow. Both are synonymous with Royalty. Kira (A cool play on words for "Killer" also used in Death Note) Is always garbed in Purple. A color which is synonymous with Cruelty, Mysteriousness, and Arrogance. And all the Ronin in Ako are cloaked in Red. A symbol of Rage, and Passion and Strength.. Notice (If you have seen the movie) Each color corresponds with the character's "Role" in the movie. To Me... BRILLIANT, and Poetry in Motion. At the End, the way Oishi's red clashes with Kira's Purple... absolutely beautiful.

47 Ronin Portrayed the Samurai, and life in Japan at the time, like nothing I have ever seen. Yes, no blood, this wasn't supposed to be a gore-fest it didn't need the gore, which (imho) would have taken away from the story. Obviously, there was no Magic, or Witchcraft in that time, but then again, this is an adaptation of the story. They're not trying to match the story bit for bit. The use of magic, and fantasy aspects were not overdone, the story, in no way; relied on the "Cheesy CGI" to be great. It uses the Magic/Witchcraft to enhance the story, and make it more compelling to those who aren't familiar with the story.

Oishi's acting was spot on, and the red he wears at the end, mixed with Kira's purple was pure poetry.

Keanu's acting is to be expected, I can't deny that. But, to me, it works for this role. The Samurai treated him the way they would have in that time, like a dog. He was an outsider, but his knowledge was useful to them so they kept him around. That is supported by the beginning of the movie, when they hunt the Chimera.

And the ending... What was everyone expecting? A big happy ending where they all live their lives out in peace and all that boring sh*t? They blatantly disobeyed the Shogun, they were lucky they weren't slaughtered like cattle on sight

I'm watching it for the 3rd time today and I'm enjoying it just as much as I did the first time I saw it. .

This one never quite decides if it wants to be a big, boisterous epic or a solemn retelling, and it nearly disappears into the crack between the two.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Dec 28, 2013
    Hollywood's latest play for the growing Asian market revisits the ancient Japanese legend of self-sacrifice, hoping to offset its garbled narrative and grinding humourlessness with 3D and Keanu Reeves as a samurai Jesus.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Dec 28, 2013
    An odd mix of stiff and sumptuous.