8.5

1. EvieB.
    Oct 9, 2006
    I've been revisiting all the previous "Up" installments in preparation for seeing this. As a result, I find myself quoting lines nonstop ( "I read the Observer and the Times!"). This series is so, so good. I just love everyone in it--even the people I find dull or annoying. After all this time, I can't help myself.
  2. JosephFJ
    Oct 18, 2006
    Several are heroes to me. They may not have achieved their goals but from a standpoint of family, grand children and toughing it through, I have enormous respect and admiration for them.
  3. RalphM.
    Dec 10, 2006
    A fascinating look at life. I don't know how much distortion the documentation process causes, but the stories of this group of individuals pushes through time and time - sad, tragic, inspiring. This time around I found a theme of middle age contentment - one of the more optimistic editions of this series.
  4. DanC.
    Dec 9, 2006
    The series is brilliant, a 10 out of 10 all the way. I found this installment ever so slightly less compelling than the previous ones, because the subjects have moved into comfortable later middle age. Still, it's a great film. Recommendation: watch the entire series on DVD before viewing this one - it's well worth the investment.

1. Reviewed by: Eddie Cockrell
    It doesn't make for involving drama, unless the audience is already invested in the subjects' fortunes. Thus, 49 Up will have more appeal for long-time followers than newcomers.
  2. Moving and ambitious in scale like nothing else in cinema, Michael Apted's Up films began in 1964 as a BBC news program exploring an old Jesuit maxim: "Give me the child until he is seven, and I will show you the man."
  3. 49 Up is a precious document, and must viewing.