6.5

1. Dec 10, 2012
    Sandler usually makes stupid movies but every now and then hits the bulls-eye with a hilarious movie, unfortunately this is not the case, it's very bad story. Sandler being a Casanova thing!! really? and honestly the best thing that Drew Barrymore has ever done it's to appear in E.T. Far more better things to watch!
  2. Colm
    Mar 3, 2004
    Can you say Groundhog's Day meets the Dating Game? I knew you could.
  3. AmberM.
    Feb 11, 2004
    So this is the second bad movie set in Hawaii to be released in the last couple of weeks. (see "Big Bounce") I love Hawaii, but why do all the crappy screenplays have to be set there? Because the writing itself is so godawful, I suppose it needs a little support from the setting. The movie means well, the plot is clever, and and the acting is by and large pretty good (Sean Astin is So this is the second bad movie set in Hawaii to be released in the last couple of weeks. (see "Big Bounce") I love Hawaii, but why do all the crappy screenplays have to be set there? Because the writing itself is so godawful, I suppose it needs a little support from the setting. The movie means well, the plot is clever, and and the acting is by and large pretty good (Sean Astin is hilarious - but is this what a hobbit does when he loses the weird-looking feet?), but so many scenes end with an awkward swing-and-miss THUD that you wonder if the writer wasn't beamed back by the Mars lander. Absolutely no sense of comic timing. And although Rob Schneider was great, I have a feeling that Hawaiians aren't going to be too happy with his character. (And people thought that "Lost and Translation" was racist!) This sucker pulls out every bad pacific islander stereotype in the book. I felt a little embarrassed for him. The bottom line is that if you like "Wedding Singer", you'll still like the chemistry between Sandler and Barrymore. You'll just wish it came in a better movie. Expand
  4. FuggiMcGoo
    Mar 5, 2004
    U don't wanna see this movie, If you wanna "in depth" review, check boneho's review on "Confessions of A Teenage Drama Queen.' Its just about the same story.
  5. Zybard
    Aug 1, 2004
    I enjoyed Sandler and Schneider's crude remarks about male genitals...oh wait. I just turned 16. Sorry, I'm to mature for this.
  6. MarkB.
    May 24, 2004
    Absolutely nothing works in this astonishingly grotesque, remarkably ill-advised farrago of manipulative sentimentality and unfunny, repulsive gross-out comedy that's reminiscent of Jerry Lewis at his laziest AND most self-indulgent, except that Jerry was never this mean-spirited or misogynistic toward his female supporting characters. If you're looking for Sandler and Drew Absolutely nothing works in this astonishingly grotesque, remarkably ill-advised farrago of manipulative sentimentality and unfunny, repulsive gross-out comedy that's reminiscent of Jerry Lewis at his laziest AND most self-indulgent, except that Jerry was never this mean-spirited or misogynistic toward his female supporting characters. If you're looking for Sandler and Drew Barrymore to repeat their genuine chemistry and rapport from The Wedding Singer, forget it; she seems to sense on some level how unworkable this concept is and seems extremely uncomfortable. Meanwhile, Sean Astin seems to be working very hard...both to appear as repulsive onscreen as costar Rob Schneider AND to completely erase all the goodwill he built up in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. (He nearly succeeds, too.) Under any other circumstances you'd admire the film for not taking the easy way out, but the combination of medical tragedy and truly foul humor is reminiscent of -- to use one of the movie's own images -- an anchovy sundae. No, wait -- let's pick an even more apt image from the film: it's pure, unadulterated walrus vomit. Expand
  7. Elizabeth
    Jul 17, 2004
    I only could watch the first 15 minutes of this garbage then i had to leave the room because i was too embrassed for adam sandler and drew barymore (however you spell her name). i couldnt believe they had took part in making such an awful movie.
  8. SteveC.
    Feb 13, 2004
    First movie I've ever walked out of. Really offensive characters. Really far fetched premise. Childish potty humor - to really crass. Can't believe any critic would give this a thumbs up. Worst movie I've seen.
  9. RachelZ.
    Feb 16, 2004
    can adam sandler please go away. he needs to be booted off the planet along with the following: rob schneider, paul mcartney, celine dion, justin timberlake, michael jackson, britney spears, ic cube, eddie murphy, courtney love, tommy lee, that malcolm in the middle kid, fred durst, kid rock, donald trump, roger lodge, austin powers, mick jagger, janet jackson, aerosmith, and many more can adam sandler please go away. he needs to be booted off the planet along with the following: rob schneider, paul mcartney, celine dion, justin timberlake, michael jackson, britney spears, ic cube, eddie murphy, courtney love, tommy lee, that malcolm in the middle kid, fred durst, kid rock, donald trump, roger lodge, austin powers, mick jagger, janet jackson, aerosmith, and many more who make entertainment suck. Expand
  10. PatrickS.
    Jun 23, 2004
    What went wrong? I went into 50FD with high expectations. After all, this is the same genius who struck comedy gold with his subtle, touching masterpiece Billy Madison. But this movie was bad, with a capitol S T I N K S! You'll feel like you're watching it 50 times, not just once! That's not to say my two fave actors, Adam and Drew of course, aren't great. Sandler What went wrong? I went into 50FD with high expectations. After all, this is the same genius who struck comedy gold with his subtle, touching masterpiece Billy Madison. But this movie was bad, with a capitol S T I N K S! You'll feel like you're watching it 50 times, not just once! That's not to say my two fave actors, Adam and Drew of course, aren't great. Sandler gives a smart, subtle performance, and Berrymore is terrific as a girl who's both exactly what she seems and exactly the opposite. However, this plot moves slowly, and it feels like we've seen it all before. The guy who was in The Lord and the Rings saga makes a hillarious guest appearance, but it is not enough to save this sinker. This is one date you won't want to make with your local theater! Expand
  11. Jan 22, 2012
    Eh it was ok at first but it gets rather corny, sappy, and generic. It fits the norm of other Sandler films so if you like his other work then you will like this. It was ok but I wouldnt watch it again.
  12. Nov 13, 2013
    50 First Dates goes home alone.
    The movie begins with an interesting idea that develops at a monotonous pace, with laughs few and far between. A very poor execution by Mr. Sandler.

1. As a comedy, 50 First Dates is standard Sandler, but as a love story it left me pleasantly buzzed, if not quite punch-drunk.
    Oscillating gracelessly between the coarse and the merely saccharine, 50 First Dates, directed with zero visual or comedic flair by Peter Segal (Anger Management, Tommy Boy), showcases Sandler's cuddlier side as it reprises the tepid chemistry that he and Barrymore road-tested in "The Wedding Singer."
    The movie's sole selling point turns out to be its sweetness. Sandler, Segal and writer George Wing obviously like all of the characters despite the constant ribbing, and Sandler and Barrymore are as cuddly as a pair of love-struck walruses. But only a sucker would get too close.