8.0

Jul 19, 2009
    Just unforgettable.
  2. BillB
    Jul 27, 2009
    Nice try at sounding smart Marieke W, but its obvious you were dumped at some point and this movie brought those skeletons out of your closet. This movie is anything but your "run of the mill" romance comedy. It's funny, heartbreaking, and very real all at the same time. My GF and I both loved it as well as everyone else in the theater. Go turn on Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing for Nice try at sounding smart Marieke W, but its obvious you were dumped at some point and this movie brought those skeletons out of your closet. This movie is anything but your "run of the mill" romance comedy. It's funny, heartbreaking, and very real all at the same time. My GF and I both loved it as well as everyone else in the theater. Go turn on Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing for the 8,354th time and remain in LaLa land. Those of us who enjoy something fresh and real will love this movie. Expand
  3. JasonL
    Jul 29, 2009
    I could stare at Zooey Deschanel all day long. She is the perfect woman!!! I could watch her do a remake of Ishtar, for god's sake. The movie was pretty good. It jumped all over the place, but it was handled quite masterfully. Great writing!
  4. flysydef.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Funny and touching, very honest.
  5. BobS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    Original, two super actors, tears at your heart.
  6. SiddF
    Aug 13, 2009
    An absolute train wreck. Nathan Lee's NPR review is dead on.
  7. naiku
    Aug 13, 2009
    Just an absolutely pleasant movie. Rare for an on screen relationship which you can actually relate to. Happens very often in this film and just a gem. The soundtrack is just unbelievably good. highly recommended.
  8. TracieP
    Aug 14, 2009
    I absolutely LOVED the movie! It was funny, caring, romantic and just great.
  9. JPZ
    Aug 15, 2009
    Excellent.
  10. ManusA
    Aug 18, 2009
    Very original romantic comedy. Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel were excellent and believable in their roles. The one to beat for the best comedy Golden Globe and worthy of a best picture Oscar nom.
  11. WaldoJ
    Aug 21, 2009
    This is a cutesy sweet little movie, but not much more. The potentially interesting shuffling of the 500 days was blandly executed, the film can be cloying at times, and it's somewhat slight. However, there are some big doses of humor and heart in this film, and Gordon Levitt and Deschanel are both convincing in their roles. Its worth seeing but don't expect too much
  12. EdwardK
    Aug 26, 2009
    A charming movie that anyone who has ever had a failed relationship can relate too. Clever graphics and images enhanced the story, rather than getting it its way.
  13. ronnieb
    Aug 28, 2009
    Nice escape film from the typical summer blockbuster. I particularly enjoyed the crazed jumps in time back and forth over the 500 days. Throw in some unusual film montages, particularly one shot as a laughable French film, and you have the makings of a very unusual and atypical love or love lost story.
  14. loub
    Aug 29, 2009
    I didn't want it to end.I wanted to see how his relationship with Autumn worked out.Actually I wanted to see more of the gorgeous Minka Kelly from Friday Night Lights.
  15. JamiS
    Aug 9, 2009
    This is a different movie, but all too true from a guy's perspective. Not a chick flick, but chicks will see their behavior and how it affects the opposite sex more clearly by seeing it. Absolutely tremendous chemistry between the primary actors, bravo! excellent casting throughout. A bit woody allen, and generally an enjoyable 95 minutes. The IKEA scene was the highlight of the This is a different movie, but all too true from a guy's perspective. Not a chick flick, but chicks will see their behavior and how it affects the opposite sex more clearly by seeing it. Absolutely tremendous chemistry between the primary actors, bravo! excellent casting throughout. A bit woody allen, and generally an enjoyable 95 minutes. The IKEA scene was the highlight of the film, it could have been stretched in and out of the entire movie as far as I'm concerned. It's cute, clever, and very much what happens to a guy enduring a life of love. The ending is poignant, and reveals the ever changing seasons of love. NOT. Expand
  16. BrianM.
    Sep 14, 2009
    One of the best romantic comedies I've seen in a long time, probably because it's not a conventional romantic comedy. This movie is both deeply funny and heartbreakingly truthful about the rush of falling in love and the emotional fallout that takes place when the excitement starts to wear off. A true original.
  17. TomM
    Sep 28, 2009
    Fresh, inventive, superbly written, and engagingly acted. Destined to be a classic. A smart movie that's a joy to watch. My wife and I keep commenting on one memorable touch after another.
  18. roberti.
    Sep 5, 2009
    As refreshing as an unexpected whiff of an unexpected scent--and a reminder that youth brings regeneration. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt spark and shine as if love were entirely new.
  19. NoraB
    Jan 24, 2010
    Original and sweet and interesting narrative style and directing, and at first I was not 'sold' on the structure, but then I loved how they did a split screen - reality v expectations and it was SO creative. Its a bittersweet romcom but superior to many, many others.
  20. MattC
    Feb 19, 2010
    It was a little difficult to bear this movie after the breakup. From the beginning, the viewer knows that the relationship between Tom and Summer is doomed (although, there is hope in tom trying to win her back) It wasn't until a good way through the movie that I was really enchanted by summer. Their relationship is depicted so well that it is difficult to realize its inevitable It was a little difficult to bear this movie after the breakup. From the beginning, the viewer knows that the relationship between Tom and Summer is doomed (although, there is hope in tom trying to win her back) It wasn't until a good way through the movie that I was really enchanted by summer. Their relationship is depicted so well that it is difficult to realize its inevitable downfall. I wasn't extremely fond of the theme about fate, which basically sums up the ending. I was only mildly satisfied by the ending, but even still, this movie is extremely memorable. As for those who say its corny or cliche, I dont even begin to see that. I would recommend anybody to watch this movie. Expand
  21. HarperJ.
    Nov 21, 2009
    Great filming, brilliant display of a possibly failing movie idea. Great ideas, very modern for a borderline-artsy film. Cute and has a good as-it-should-be ending.
  22. JoelleG
    Nov 23, 2009
    Skeptical to see it at first, but glad I did. Charming and captivating. Not just meant to be a feel good movie which is a relief.
  23. Kenny
    Nov 4, 2009
    Effective. But what is it that makes it so effective?, His comprehensive, direct, raw, whole and what is more important (but the other romantic comedies are missing) the simple reality. I really arrived and it is that when you can achieve with so little, despite ever loses a little pace, is fascinating as Marc Webb recreates that world is so complicated as love and contact with the public Effective. But what is it that makes it so effective?, His comprehensive, direct, raw, whole and what is more important (but the other romantic comedies are missing) the simple reality. I really arrived and it is that when you can achieve with so little, despite ever loses a little pace, is fascinating as Marc Webb recreates that world is so complicated as love and contact with the public really . It really draws from the opening scenes without really knowing the story goes, but you think you know how it will end and what will happen in it. Jokes in the right places (the points are comedians who have very good) and rawness in the appropriate undoubtedly recommend a movie and the very best I've seen so far this year. Expand
  24. XavierE
    Oct 16, 2009
    A perfect movie with large impact.
  25. SuliZhen
    Nov 8, 2009
    I love it , the movie have smart dialogues , great soundtrack good perfomances by Deschanel and Gordon-Levitt and also very creative.
  26. AlexS.
    Dec 21, 2009
    Loved it. Very raw, original and true. Not for everybody, but for everyone to see. A beauty of a film.
  27. hbleez
    Jul 22, 2009
    Great movie!!! 100% original romantic comedy, the two leads give stellar performances, novel directing, the non-linear nature of the story captivates you, and the bittersweet nature of love is depicted in a refreshing and fun way... provides many good laughs, but is also touching and makes you think about who you are meant to be with...hope this movie gets more distribution.
  28. ScottA
    Jul 22, 2009
    One word.... BRILLIANT!
  29. Dave
    Jul 25, 2009
    Wow, Marieke that's quite a harsh review. Are you sure it was for this film? Also, you say "great films of our time", which films exactly are you talking about because I think There have been VERY few in this genre actually made this good in recent years. Having gone through this in a past relationship, I could totally identify with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character. I thought Wow, Marieke that's quite a harsh review. Are you sure it was for this film? Also, you say "great films of our time", which films exactly are you talking about because I think There have been VERY few in this genre actually made this good in recent years. Having gone through this in a past relationship, I could totally identify with Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character. I thought everything depicted here was spot-on. Great acting all around and a great script. My only complaint, and this is slight was the part of the younger sister which seemed a bit far fetched. Expand
  30. AustinW
    Jul 25, 2009
    One of the most trite, pretentious, awful movies I have seen in a long time. I wish I had walked out.
  31. luigic
    Jul 27, 2009
    Tom - (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) meets Summer (Zooey Deschanel) and falls into an unrequited love story. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives us Tom's pain an depth so that we are empathetic throughout. While 500 days of Summer is very entertaining. in some ways we are watching Tom die a slow death and we're feeling the effects of his suffering. Gordon-Levitt owns this movie and while the Tom - (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) meets Summer (Zooey Deschanel) and falls into an unrequited love story. Joseph Gordon-Levitt gives us Tom's pain an depth so that we are empathetic throughout. While 500 days of Summer is very entertaining. in some ways we are watching Tom die a slow death and we're feeling the effects of his suffering. Gordon-Levitt owns this movie and while the supporting cast doesn't get in the way they provide little additional value. Zooey Deschanel is very good but to no fault of her own pretty much any ingenue would have sufficed. All Deschanel has to do is show us why Tom would fall in love with Summer. She does that just fine. This is not a conventional unrequited love story. Sure we all know how it gets from point A to point B, but director Mark Webb gets us from beginning to end by showing us various milestones along the path. It makes the story much more interesting and while the ending is exactly what we expect - it makes getting there a lot more fun. Some minor quibbles - Tom's little sister becomes his sage in matters of the heart - and she's what - 12 years old? Though she does have the best advice for Tom - that maybe he's only pining over the good memories... Would have been much more cogent had it come from an adult who would have the maturity and experience to provide such wisdom. I really enjoyed 500 Days of Summer - our hearts get yanked around just like Tom's. And Summer is the girl we all hope our sons don't meet on their way from Point A to Point B. Expand
  32. AnonyMoose
    Aug 13, 2009
    Funnier than expected to be and charming, 500 Days of Summer was a nice break from Boy & Girl meet and fall in love, the end. Everything from the actors to the music score seemed to fit perfectly.
  33. (anon)ymous
    Aug 13, 2009
    A very enjoyable movie all the way around. Zooey is a great actress, but I think Joseph really shined through in his performance.
  34. MichaelR
    Aug 14, 2009
    The movie was fun at some points, but i was mainly intrigued by the intuitive dialogue. Also, it's an incredibly real story.
  35. KathyS
    Aug 18, 2009
    The minute I got home, I had to run to the computer and look up Joseph Gordon-Levitt's resume. He was excellent in this movie, and I'd like to see a lot more of him in future movies.
  36. shaune
    Aug 25, 2009
    If you find watching some poor bastard get his heart torn out, this is the movie for you. this movie also will be big with people who like depressing endings. enjoy.
  37. fsmith
    Sep 25, 2009
    Absolutely the worst, most cliche, laughable movie i've seen in years. had it starred mylie cyrus and one of the jonas brothers and been marketed to tweens, i would understand. for super-doofed hipsters only. don't waste your time, even when it hits cable. ugh... (vomit in the back of my throat... oh, it almost came up).
  38. AlJ
    Sep 27, 2009
    Fun, witty, true. This movie is everything you don't expect to find from a romantic comedy - and for that reason, I loved it!
  39. ArianoA.
    Nov 19, 2009
    This movie is a reminder that love isn't always easy and pretty. It has consequences and everything we do in life is just a series of consequences. The story is very intriguing, keeps the audience captivated.
  40. DavidA
    Dec 18, 2009
    This has been said before, but this movie really strikes me as a postmodern "Annie Hall". A love story deconstucted and enfused with beautiful ironies. Offbeat, cute, surreal, and sweet.
  41. SteveF
    Dec 29, 2009
    I really enjoyed this movie! and Zooey Deschanel is a true beauty and such an amazing actress! Well worth seeing.
  42. Nov 14, 2010
    No one really quite knows the exact reasons why there relationship ends or how it ended in the first place or why it came to end the way it did. All we know is that the relationship is over and there is nothing we can do about it they have moved on so should we however, that is sometimes easier said that done. Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows this all too well as h e has justNo one really quite knows the exact reasons why there relationship ends or how it ended in the first place or why it came to end the way it did. All we know is that the relationship is over and there is nothing we can do about it they have moved on so should we however, that is sometimes easier said that done. Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows this all too well as h e has just broken up with his loveless, girlfriend Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). He is wreck after there break-up he has lost his kind nature and feels disjointed and lost in the world like he has had his heart ripped out and had her do the Mexican hat dance all over it. Tom is depressed and lonely but thanks to his friends (Geoffrey Arend and Matthew Gray Gubler) and an extraordinarily smart little girl who seems to be an expert on relationships (Chloe Moretz). Tom looks back on the 500 days of his relationship with Summer trying to find out what went wrong and what he could have done differently if he only had a second chance. There is a scene of dialogue that opens this film stating, "This is not a love story, this is a story about love" and that is the entire basis for this film story. This is not a love story a love story is where you see a sequences of events and happenings that lead two people to find one another. Then in a big mush climax they admit there love for one another while the poignant and very sappy music plays in the background while the girl finally finds her knight in shining armor or the boy finally finds his princess. It is a tried and rundown formula that has plagued the romance genre for the last 30 years, now here we are in the 21st century and we still get these sappy and at some points very cringe inducing conclusions to these cliché love stories that makes audiences scoff, scoff because they have seen it hundreds thousands of times before. "(500) Days of Summerâ Expand
  43. Sep 4, 2010
    I tend to stay away from romantic comedies but this one really got to me. Sure it's a little cliche, but it was charming, and realistic. I really loved it.
  44. Jan 3, 2011
    Is this, romantic-comedy, is not a perfect 10 i don't what it is? this movie is the best you can expect for a romantic-comedy and more!! Acting is good, cinematography original and beautiful, music great and its a honest love story that show us what is love and motivate us to go on. Best romantic film since Eternal Sunshine. submit
  45. Sep 6, 2010
    Ironically, the perfect date movie turns out to be a film about some of the more negative aspects of love, the heartbreak and rejection, the confusion and hurt and yet remains a joy to watch. The characters feel more like old friends, whose situations are so real that augments their highs and makes you empathise with their lows. Well written, well acted, well done.
  46. Sep 17, 2013
    I loooove coming into a film with absolutely no expectations (all I knew about the film was the title) and leaving thinking that you have spent an hour-and-a--half very profitably indeed. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a great actor and it is rewarding to see him finally get a film to himself after playing second fiddle in soooo many blockbusters. Zooey Duhamel is radiant but in a way thatI loooove coming into a film with absolutely no expectations (all I knew about the film was the title) and leaving thinking that you have spent an hour-and-a--half very profitably indeed. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a great actor and it is rewarding to see him finally get a film to himself after playing second fiddle in soooo many blockbusters. Zooey Duhamel is radiant but in a way that leaves you thinking "do I really like this girl or is she the devil incarnate?" Expand
  47. Sep 15, 2010
    One of the more memorable movies I've seen in the past year. It had a nice tone and sort of a "real life" feel to it, when it comes to relationships (beyond the fantasy elements in the movie). Not a love story, but a relationship story. Excellent filmmaking.
  48. Jan 11, 2011
    This is probably the only romantic comedy I've seen to date that I have been able to fully relate to. It's clear a huge amount of research when into peoples' relationships and Marc Webb was able to make a movie which had morals, as well as moments in which you can sit back and laugh at because you've been in a similar situation. The editing style was amazing and we've seen this with MarcThis is probably the only romantic comedy I've seen to date that I have been able to fully relate to. It's clear a huge amount of research when into peoples' relationships and Marc Webb was able to make a movie which had morals, as well as moments in which you can sit back and laugh at because you've been in a similar situation. The editing style was amazing and we've seen this with Marc Webb's music videos (REF: Move Along, Bad Day & 21 Guns). He loves experimenting with different editing styles and it paid off. By jumping backwards and forwards between different dates from the 500 days, it was a different way of telling a story and revealing vital parts of the plot to the audience as it went on.

Overall, a very good film and one I will no doubt watch over and over again...
  49. Dec 11, 2010
    I like how it focuses on the guys side of the relationship where he realizes that he should be paying more attention. There was some fantasy, but it was mild.
  50. May 26, 2011
    Too often compared to the neo-quirky comedies of Wes Anderson and the smart-teen dialogue of "Juno," "500 Days of Summer" is a singularly original comedy in its own right that deserves recognition for brilliant direction, writing, and editing, as well as the wonderful performances from leads and supporting players. A new twist on old formulas, this feature from music video director MarcToo often compared to the neo-quirky comedies of Wes Anderson and the smart-teen dialogue of "Juno," "500 Days of Summer" is a singularly original comedy in its own right that deserves recognition for brilliant direction, writing, and editing, as well as the wonderful performances from leads and supporting players. A new twist on old formulas, this feature from music video director Marc Webb doesn't pander to the audience's expectations, and recognizes that drama must coincide with laughs. Expand
  51. May 5, 2014
    5oo Days of Summer is an absolutely fantastic tale of a relationship gone wrong. The performances are excellent and the script is pretty much spot on. We've probably all been through the hell that Tom experiences in this movie. The only downside; that annoyingly cliched little sister.
  52. Jan 10, 2011
    The title on thiz movie, Summer eventually is the girl name. The truth is no one escaped from love, either Tom and Summer. I think thiz is the best modern romantic drama since ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004). The couple played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. We see Gordon-Levitt recently in G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA (2009). The Director is Marc Webb. The chemistryThe title on thiz movie, Summer eventually is the girl name. The truth is no one escaped from love, either Tom and Summer. I think thiz is the best modern romantic drama since ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004). The couple played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. We see Gordon-Levitt recently in G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA (2009). The Director is Marc Webb. The chemistry of Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel was very well. The characters seem so easy-going and believable. The movie fills with good music as well, to describe the high and low of love. The movie simply brings us into the mood of love easily, where sometimes fill with laugh and joy, and the other times with hesitation and sadness. In several of scenes, they keep asking each other, where this relationship goes to? If you love somebody that just happens and you can tell her anytime, anywhere, do not care where the place it is. Maybe do not that simple, but we know even love does not last forever, but commitment does. The ending is far from idealistic, but more close to reality. Like I said many times before, if you want to make a great love story, you cannot have the couple stay together in the ending. You can see thiz element from ROMEO AND JULIET to TITANIC and other similar love stories. The essential of love is the moments we ever had. Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com Expand
  53. May 29, 2011
    Interesting the tematic of the movie. It reveals very good the sentiment which many people live: fear of getting involved and getting hurt (especially after two traumatic experiences or even in their own household). But if do not get involved how to know it? Life is so short... is it worth your time hiding behind a supposed protective security?
  54. Jul 19, 2011
    This romantic comedy manage the rare feat of telling a realistic story of falling in and out of love. The movie cleverly shakes up the formulas genre by, among other things, showing the story in a non-chronological order. This, along with the likability of its leads, holds the viewer's interest throughout the movie
  55. Apr 24, 2011
    This movie is superb by all means. Modern relationships are often misguided opinions and the inability to be truly intimate. Additionally, talking and listening are core elements, because a relationship is difficult. 500 Days of Summer, excels because it presents how society is now a days. Everyone goes on parading something that they feel, and love, when truly it is something they don'tThis movie is superb by all means. Modern relationships are often misguided opinions and the inability to be truly intimate. Additionally, talking and listening are core elements, because a relationship is difficult. 500 Days of Summer, excels because it presents how society is now a days. Everyone goes on parading something that they feel, and love, when truly it is something they don't quite understand yet, and these are driven by simple infatuations or a blind emotion devoted to not seeing the truth as it is presented. Many of us are in relationships we don't understand, but we still go at it. Why? The movie presents this remarkably well and tells the consequences in flashback sequences. Ultimately though, it ends on a positive note. A must watch, for its light touch of comedy and dramatic effect towards the end. Expand
  56. Aug 12, 2013
    Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the lovely Zooey Deschanel (500) Days of Summer manages to breath fresh life into the cliched romantic comedy genre. Told in non-chronological order each scene begins on a different day of the relationship. Jumping from their happiest moments to times of despair makes for a fascinating watch despite the fact that we learn right from the start of the filmStarring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the lovely Zooey Deschanel (500) Days of Summer manages to breath fresh life into the cliched romantic comedy genre. Told in non-chronological order each scene begins on a different day of the relationship. Jumping from their happiest moments to times of despair makes for a fascinating watch despite the fact that we learn right from the start of the film how things will eventually turn out.

Unusually told from the male leads perspective (500) Days of Summer also maintains a healthy sense of humour throughout, even during some of the movies darker moments, and this largely prevents it from becoming over sentimental in the way other romantic movies have been prone to do. It is all too easy to dismiss this type of movie out of hand but this is certainly offers something just a little bit different.
  57. Aug 11, 2011
    Beautifully acted and smartly written romantic comedy.500 Days is a real departure from the norm of the genre.It cleverly avoids every cliche and is completely unsentimental.Zooey Deschanel is adorable and funny while also showing real depth.Joseph Gordon Levitt is also very impressive.It's believable and refreshing.The soundtrack is impeccable and the whole movie is refreshinglyBeautifully acted and smartly written romantic comedy.500 Days is a real departure from the norm of the genre.It cleverly avoids every cliche and is completely unsentimental.Zooey Deschanel is adorable and funny while also showing real depth.Joseph Gordon Levitt is also very impressive.It's believable and refreshing.The soundtrack is impeccable and the whole movie is refreshingly honest.One of the best romantic comedies of recent times. Expand
  58. May 27, 2011
    My favorite movie.
    A work of art.
    I never wanted it to end. Best picture, best soundtrack, best cast, best script, BEST MOVIE EVER of its genre. It is so beautifully crafted and it's not like all those sappy romantic comedies.
    Just like the narrator says at the very beginning, "This is not a love story. This is a story about love."
  59. Jul 5, 2012
    One of those films where you genuinely care about the characters. In a day when most rom-coms are cheap and manipulative 500 days of summer deals with big themes and executes it perfectly with it's flawless ending.
  60. Oct 16, 2011
    Those who can relate to the central meaning of 500 Days of Summer will LOVE IT, those who do not relate will miss it's point. As the movie announces - 500 days is NOT a movie about love, its a movie about a wuss/confused modern male coming to terms with reality. The movies soundtrack is awesome; its visuals are meaningful and interesting. There are some great scenes throughout that IThose who can relate to the central meaning of 500 Days of Summer will LOVE IT, those who do not relate will miss it's point. As the movie announces - 500 days is NOT a movie about love, its a movie about a wuss/confused modern male coming to terms with reality. The movies soundtrack is awesome; its visuals are meaningful and interesting. There are some great scenes throughout that I believe are some of the most memorable in recent popular movies. 500 days is not perfect as it does start to drag during its 3rd quarter but I believe is one of the best movies in recent years. Expand
  61. Jun 23, 2011
    No romantic comedy is truly original or inspiring. This movie, however, does contain great acting, kept me laughing throughout, contained witty dialogue, and left me satisfied, if not entirely content, with the execution and and ending.
  62. Jun 29, 2011
    The Millenial's "When Harry Met Sally." Does a good job at articulating what modern love, dating, and heartbreak feels like, is well written, and has a beautiful aesthetic that remains consistent throughout the entire film.
  63. Jul 1, 2011
    A very cleverly written film with a fantastic cast. All the characters compliment each other so well and such witty rhetoric. You quickly fall in love with Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) ever since the beginning. You see Summer (Zooey Deschanel) as such the nice lovely lady and that's exactly what she is. You begin to feel extremely compassionate for Tom when things begin to not go his way.A very cleverly written film with a fantastic cast. All the characters compliment each other so well and such witty rhetoric. You quickly fall in love with Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) ever since the beginning. You see Summer (Zooey Deschanel) as such the nice lovely lady and that's exactly what she is. You begin to feel extremely compassionate for Tom when things begin to not go his way. The film takes you through a series of 500 days, hence the title. It jumps back and forth between days at the beginning and towards the end of the relationship showing when things were going good and then when things began to get sour. At times they would show the same circumstances at the beginning and end of the relationship and the noticeable differences. This is a fantastic film anyone who appreciates good film. Expand
  64. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    One of the best romantic comedies I've seen ever and one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. Zooey and Joseph are great as the two leads. It's painfully funny and sad to watch the ups and down of this very modern relationship. The structure of the plot is originally creative and interesting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is turning into one of the most sought after actors at the moment.
  65. Jul 22, 2011
    This is a great movie,
    This is a great movie,
    This movie has a great plot, great cinematography, great cast, and great use of music. This movie is without spoiling a realistic romantic comedy. It is indeed an incredible film even though romantic comedies in general suck and are predictable this movie stands out. The movie has a non linear use of plot which is extremely cool. The great shots ans use of color are great. The music overall stood out. The choice of music was great, with the combination of certain effects like muting the movie really does create emotions. I really enjoyed this movie and suggest you see it if you dislike or are bored of the normal unrealistic romantic comedy.
  66. Aug 10, 2011
    This is probably the best romantic comedy I've ever seen. Its dialogue and emotion is so much more real than almost all others. Even if that wasn't the case, the movie would've been saved by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, anyway
  67. Aug 28, 2011
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Zooey Deschanel were the perfect choices to play the roles of Tom and Summer. This is one of the best romantic comedies ever being made. And the ending was so ironic, like the girl name was autumn, ahahahaha it's funny. Overall it was a good movie, but i though that the movie should have been more recognize awards wise,
  68. Sep 4, 2011
    This film is the perfect romantic comedy-drama. After hundreds of formulaic romcoms, with poor acting, and poor scriptwriting, a film comes along that's sweet, funny, a little sour in places, clever and wonderfully performed. If you only watch one romcom in your life, this is the one.
  69. Jul 22, 2012
    Despite the film's best intentions, I didn't think this had potential to reflect on the idea of what love is when it ended. The contrast of blue skies and dark clouds ended in a blurry mess. The film was a little light for my liking, preferring to not explain the circumstances surrounding what was actually going on between the two main characters. I like both of the actors, but their cuteDespite the film's best intentions, I didn't think this had potential to reflect on the idea of what love is when it ended. The contrast of blue skies and dark clouds ended in a blurry mess. The film was a little light for my liking, preferring to not explain the circumstances surrounding what was actually going on between the two main characters. I like both of the actors, but their cute looks gave me more a sense of confusion between seriousness and cheerfulness. Was it supposed to be this confusing, or does this genuinely try and portray complications within a relationship, if you could call what they were going through a relationship? I felt it was quite an arty interpretation, though, with plenty of light-hearted humour. But never ever could this assume that it was trying to preach a message about love, because it wasn't. Expand
  70. Mar 27, 2012
    The screenplay is genuinely written, and the story doesn't stop from surprising us during the hole movie with its twists and turns. But the thing is, people who watched it easily do projections on their emotional life which is normal because of nature of the story that shows us another dark and bitter side of our human condition witch is pretty disappointing for those people, and yetThe screenplay is genuinely written, and the story doesn't stop from surprising us during the hole movie with its twists and turns. But the thing is, people who watched it easily do projections on their emotional life which is normal because of nature of the story that shows us another dark and bitter side of our human condition witch is pretty disappointing for those people, and yet completely true. It is actually a very bright and cheerful movie to show the sadness that a man can go through somewhere in his life. Expand
  71. Jan 31, 2012
    Loved this movie. Intelligent and witty, creative and fun. It's the only chick flick that I've ever seen and I have to say it's quite good. Extremely good.
  72. Feb 16, 2012
    Best romantic comedy of all time to me. It may not have the cliche ending that everyone desires but this is life. Happy endings do not occur on a daily basis. A very strong and compelling performance from the cast, every single one of them although joseph gordon-levitt and zooey deschanel deserve honorable mention. Direction of the movie plus the cinematography was excellent to say theBest romantic comedy of all time to me. It may not have the cliche ending that everyone desires but this is life. Happy endings do not occur on a daily basis. A very strong and compelling performance from the cast, every single one of them although joseph gordon-levitt and zooey deschanel deserve honorable mention. Direction of the movie plus the cinematography was excellent to say the least. soundtrack was played to its strengths too. The script was brilliantly written too, no nonsense corny **** which is another plus point. highly recommended. Expand
  73. Aug 25, 2014
    (500) Days of Summer may dive into a year and a half relationship between a boy and a girl--however, this is not a love story. This film is the story of finding yourself through others along the way. Michael H. Weber and Scott Neustadter kick off their screenwriting partnership in a great way. And bravo to Zooey Deschanel!
  74. Feb 17, 2013
    A well written, well directed and well performed film. Even though the film didn't always click it still captured something spectacular between the two main characters. A movie that is funny, touching, and very honest.
  75. Feb 14, 2013
    “(500) Days of Summer” is a simple story about destiny and true love. However, this little romantic-comedy takes it a little further. It becomes a more real and honest story about taking chances and moving on with life. One relationship isn’t the end all be all. The film manages to be simple while having a complex script. It tackles the ups and downs, the glorification of certain moments“(500) Days of Summer” is a simple story about destiny and true love. However, this little romantic-comedy takes it a little further. It becomes a more real and honest story about taking chances and moving on with life. One relationship isn’t the end all be all. The film manages to be simple while having a complex script. It tackles the ups and downs, the glorification of certain moments in a relationship, and its aftermath.

The film is quit complex, but the humor is funny with the right amount of quirkiness. Director Marc Webb manages to balance everything from the humor to the heart break with great subtlety. It is a very grounded film, but the direction takes everything to a more wonderful place. The way the story jumps back and forth between time periods is handled well. I really enjoy the original shots the movie has, especially the reality vs. expectation one. The script is incredibly smart. There are so many great laughs placed throughout the film, but nothing becomes over the top and unnatural. I really enjoy this film for it’s quirkiness and incredibly smart writing.

The actors do a fine job in their roles. Joseph Gordon-Levitt brings a lot of subtlety and warmth to his character. He’s incredibly likable and we root for him till the very end. He’s dorky, but relateable. Zooey Deschanel is the every girl. She’s quirky, fun, and almost perfect in every way. However, she’s hard and blunt. When she does something wrong, it’s hard for the audience to be upset with her for too long because she manages to be so sweet. From the main characters to the side characters, the cast gives true and honest performances.

Overall “(500) Days of Summer” is a genuinely great film. It’s touching, cheesy, funny, and oh so very creative in its execution. There are some really nice moments and the script is inventive. The main cast only brings more delight on screen. The film has a great soundtrack that only elevates every sequence. Marc Webb’s direction brings everything together in a quirky, fun, and enjoyable way that feels refreshing. Couple everything with a dance number and you got yourself a real winner. I give it 4.5/5, honest and fun story telling at its finest.

“Fetch Status”
  76. Feb 4, 2013
    This movie is completely infectious. It will have you laughing and loving the characters in a matter of seconds. Most certainly one of the much more original and better romantic comedies out there.
  77. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw the title, I thought it’s a story about a guy spending time with a girl for 500 days, which felt Summer to him. I am somehow correct after watching the movie. It is about a guy spending time with a girl named Summer for 500 days.

The movie had an amazing cinematography, editing and direction. It was brilliantly visualized and it had its eye candy moments.

The chemistry between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel is excellent. The characters they played, Tom and Summer made them feel like they’re a real couple without making them a rom-com couple.

The script from the brilliant screenwriters of The Fault in Our Stars and The Spectacular Now is really great and hence, why the visual art and the direction in this movie is amazing.

The plot and the concept is very clever and I could relate to it verywell. I relate to Tom so badly based on my own experience with a crush that I am no longer speaking terms with. And the plot twist where Summer is now married felt like a knife stabbed into my heart. I felt really bad for Tom and I see himself there as well.

The humor is the highlight of this movie and the comedic timing in this perfect for a movie like this.

Overall, I would love to see this movie again and again because it had the feels and the light-heartening moments with brillaint script, clever plot and amazing chemistry between the movie’s stars.
  78. May 8, 2012
    I love this movie.
    That is all I can say.
  79. Apr 26, 2012
    Amazing movie. It's funny, charming and even a little sad at times. Joe and Zooey did an amazon job. I've seen this movie countless times, and I'll always watch it again!
  80. Jun 10, 2012
    As a movie, it's a great one. You think is just a new movie about love, but it's not. It's really different from the others and perspective from love really changes. Particularly, I really love it. Emphasis on the perfomances of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschannel.
  81. Jun 28, 2012
    500 days of summer is an impressive story about dorian-gray-thinking woman, looking for new sensations. And Tom is an only new sensation continouing 500 days of summer.
  82. Jan 18, 2015
    So, I've fallen in love with this film. Truly, it was love at first sight, so maybe fate is a real thing? Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Zooey Deschanel, and Chloe Grace Moretz, are all awesome in this funny, touching, and moving, little "romantic" comedy that manages to capture the feeling of wanting somebody who doesn't want you so well and for that, it makes it all feel so authentic. TheSo, I've fallen in love with this film. Truly, it was love at first sight, so maybe fate is a real thing? Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Zooey Deschanel, and Chloe Grace Moretz, are all awesome in this funny, touching, and moving, little "romantic" comedy that manages to capture the feeling of wanting somebody who doesn't want you so well and for that, it makes it all feel so authentic. The direction and writing here are stellar and, ugh, for a movie that is not supposed to be romantic, it all just feels so romantic, which I guess is the point, that it is a bit of tease in a way. As a whole, 500 Days of Summer is a depressing, happy, and above all, enjoyable roller coaster of emotions that hit me like a ton of bricks in a deep and personal way and for that, I loved this film. Expand
  83. Oct 11, 2012
    A consistently amiable tale about love and break-ups. Untypical for its genre but ironically the movie does everything right nevertheless. Lovely for couples, singles and recently abandoned ones. Worth watching!
  84. Jul 31, 2012
    One of the smartest, funniest, and heartfelt movies I've ever seen. Marc Webb's direction always feels creative but never gimmicky. (500) Days of Summer is one of the most relatable and emotionally resonant movies I've seen, and one of my all-time favorites.
  85. Aug 28, 2012
    Loved this film! Acting was excellent and the storyline was lovely, there was also an excellent pun at the end of the film! Perfect for when your feeling down or if you want a good giggle with friends!
  86. Nov 28, 2012
    An irresistibly charming, brilliantly uncommon romantic drama featuring two truly great lead performances layered on top of some really intriguing lead characters.
  87. Sep 23, 2013
    It had its moments. I could not shake off the feeling that it could have been much better, but just missed it somehow. There were quite a few laughs. But it failed miserably to make me care about any of the characters. And frankly, I'm sick and tired of the haphazard storytelling. If there is any substance in a script, it would work just fine even with a linear narrative.
  88. Jul 21, 2013
    Whenever I see a romantic drama, I always feel overwhelmed by the cheesy atmosphere that exists between loves ones. I doubted a long time about seeing "(500) Days of Summer", and as a big Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan, I decided to watch it, and I don't regret a single thing. Just like in "50/50", Gordon-Levitt manages to hit the emotional strings every single time, because he mirrors hisWhenever I see a romantic drama, I always feel overwhelmed by the cheesy atmosphere that exists between loves ones. I doubted a long time about seeing "(500) Days of Summer", and as a big Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan, I decided to watch it, and I don't regret a single thing. Just like in "50/50", Gordon-Levitt manages to hit the emotional strings every single time, because he mirrors his character so very well. Although "50/50" left me with tears of joy, "(500) Days of Summer" left me with a bright smile on my face. The movie is funny, heartwarming, touching and emotional throughout, but especially the last few moments completely wrapped my heart in a cocoon of happiness and hope. Expand
  89. Feb 22, 2013
    Amazing film!, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are so good in this. Both are excellent actors.
    The film is a romantic comedy about the relationship of a girl who doesn't believe in true love while JGL's character does and wants something more from her. With the story unfolds as he retells their times together.
  90. Jun 8, 2013
    I love this film so much. The way it looks at how different people feel in the same relationship. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zoey Deschanel show great on screen chemistry.
  91. Jul 3, 2013
    Lovely bitter-sweet comedy about Tom, a guy who believes in love at first sight and Summer who apparently does not. The plot and characters are believable, and the movie is edited in a clever way. We follow some of the most important moments of the Tom/Summer relationship (and break-up) in a non-linear sequence, which for once improves the story.

Moreover, the movie is interspersed with

Moreover, the movie is interspersed with quirky scenes (the black & white "movie" Tom watches after the break-up; the dance scene and scored with brilliant music.

Romantic comedies are hardly ever this good and watchable. It does not hurt that Tom and Summer are played by actors likable and good looking, but in an ordinary way more than in a Hollywood superstar way.
    It is funny to note that some male reviewers hated the Summer character, describing her as a "tease" often using more impolite words. In fact, Summer is honest and straightforward. She is adamant with Tom about not wanting a serious relation and Tom accepts this condition. Unfortunately, when it comes to feelings, how can you really assure anybody that you will not fall madly in love?

That is Summer's mistake: expecting Tom to accept a carefree relationship, when nobody can really foresee how deeply they will love somebody else. But can she be called a tease for that? Tom, harbouring his notion of the "perfect match" is living in an illusion of his own making. He gets obsessed about the fact that Summer is that perfect match and blames her for not living up to his expectations.

In fact, Summer herself falls into the love trap, showing that even the best intentions can crumble down unexpectedly and the girl who did not want a serious relationship ends up married. That is what real life is about, illogical and vastly unforeseeable.
  92. Jun 25, 2013
    A lot of people were mad because this movie is "depressing". Frankly that doesn't make sense. It's not SUPPOSED to be a happy movie. It has very good acting, some very funny lines, and a wonderful soundtrack. And if you've ever been through heartbreak, you'd understand its not exactly a happy thing. Everyone has had a Summer. Its unfortunate but true. Those who haven't had a Summer justA lot of people were mad because this movie is "depressing". Frankly that doesn't make sense. It's not SUPPOSED to be a happy movie. It has very good acting, some very funny lines, and a wonderful soundtrack. And if you've ever been through heartbreak, you'd understand its not exactly a happy thing. Everyone has had a Summer. Its unfortunate but true. Those who haven't had a Summer just haven't met her yet. This is very much a "For Emma Forever Ago" as a movie. Love love love it. Expand
  93. Jul 5, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I did like the film, but it seemed to me like it was trying too hard to be "indie and cool". It felt like a Hi-Fidelity wannabe (mentioning all the indie cool bands, and adding some great ones to the soundtrack) without actually getting there.
    The fact that I found Summer extremely annoying and self-centered didn't help either.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one to look out
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one to look out for in the future he was excellent in this film. He made you sympathise with the plight of his character.
    I especially enjoyed the way the film was directed the way it jumped from past to present and back again. It was a good romantic comedy and yet it left me with a feeling that it was lacking a certain something which would have made it suburb.
  94. Jul 10, 2013
    Charming movie and our two leads, Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are more than capable of holding things together and why they continue to be among my favorite young actors years after seeing this (did see it when it came out in 2009). It's not the usual romantic comedy as there's nothing dumb about it. Yes, you do get a happy ending, but not the one you'd expect. Highly recommend.
  95. Sep 17, 2013
    This movie is unique and not like any other love story, which gives it a diversity and a different sort of recognition within the film community, highly recommended
  96. May 11, 2015
    Probably one of the most down to earth movies ever. This performance put Joseph Gordon-Levitt back on the map again. But do know, this is a drama, not a typical romantic comedy.
  97. Apr 30, 2014
    Controversial to usual romantic comedies, 500 Days of Summer is a very honest movie. It tells us right from the start that it's not a love story. Its originality and the actors' performances constructs all of its charm.
  98. Jul 21, 2014
    500 Days Of Summer is a very intelligent romantic comedy-drama that has its own art. Unlike most romantic comedies it ends and starts in a unique and wise way, also nice acting from Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel
  99. Apr 4, 2014
    A refreshing Summer breeze

A refreshing Summer breeze

Starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as Tom; an Architect who writes greeting cards for a living. And Zooey Deschanel as Summer, an average girl who doesn't believe in love. (500) Days of Summer directed by Marc Webb, Provides a refreshing experience to an audience that's over saturated with romantic comedies. Where most follow the same general plot line of, for example Friends with Benefits directed by Will Gluck, of boy meets girl (or the other way around) they fall in love, there love is tested but ultimately wins in the end. (500) Days of Summer in fact does follow this plot format but it differs in two key different ways. It tells the ending upfront, which is they don't end up together, and acknowledges that the rest is predicable. So what the movie does is, it delivers the story non-linearly, which makes the story feel fresh even though its one that we have seen a dozen times.

An important thing to note is that the goal of the movie is not to show a story about people falling in love and getting married. Its to capture what its like to have had a relationship, from the “holy **** moment to the inevitable “your still my best friend”. (500) Days of Summer, gives its audience a new experience by highlighting the range of emotions felt through the course of a relationship. Not the “movie fairy tale” we have all come to expect too see, and struggle to relate too. Its a must watch for anyone in the mood for something that shows its audience something new, but still feels familiar to everyone.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Knopf
    You're going to hear a lot about 500 Days of Summer over the next few months. All of the good stuff is true. Any bad stuff you hear is not.
  2. Deschanel does what she does seemingly without effort, managing to convey Summer's mixed-up messed-upness.
  3. The writing is often clever and the overall production playful and intelligent.