7.9

1. Jul 31, 2014
    Its one of the best movies I have seen in sometime. The character Tom resembled a lot like me and the character Summer resembled exactly like my Ex. I just love this movie.
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    500 Days Of Summer is a very intelligent romantic comedy-drama that has its own art. Unlike most romantic comedies it ends and starts in a unique and wise way, also nice acting from Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zooey Deschanel
  3. Jun 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I first saw the title, I thought it’s a story about a guy spending time with a girl for 500 days, which felt Summer to him. I am somehow correct after watching the movie. It is about a guy spending time with a girl named Summer for 500 days.

The movie had an amazing cinematography, editing and direction. It was brilliantly visualized and it had its eye candy moments.

The chemistry between Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel is excellent. The characters they played, Tom and Summer made them feel like they’re a real couple without making them a rom-com couple.

The script from the brilliant screenwriters of The Fault in Our Stars and The Spectacular Now is really great and hence, why the visual art and the direction in this movie is amazing.

The plot and the concept is very clever and I could relate to it verywell. I relate to Tom so badly based on my own experience with a crush that I am no longer speaking terms with. And the plot twist where Summer is now married felt like a knife stabbed into my heart. I felt really bad for Tom and I see himself there as well.

The humor is the highlight of this movie and the comedic timing in this perfect for a movie like this.

Overall, I would love to see this movie again and again because it had the feels and the light-heartening moments with brillaint script, clever plot and amazing chemistry between the movie’s stars.
  4. May 5, 2014
    5oo Days of Summer is an absolutely fantastic tale of a relationship gone wrong. The performances are excellent and the script is pretty much spot on. We've probably all been through the hell that Tom experiences in this movie. The only downside; that annoyingly cliched little sister.
  5. Apr 30, 2014
    Controversial to usual romantic comedies, 500 Days of Summer is a very honest movie. It tells us right from the start that it's not a love story. Its originality and the actors' performances constructs all of its charm.
  6. Apr 4, 2014
    A refreshing Summer breeze

Starring Joseph Gordon Levitt as Tom; an Architect who writes greeting cards for a living. And Zooey Deschanel as Summer, an average girl who doesn't believe in love. (500) Days of Summer directed by Marc Webb, Provides a refreshing experience to an audience that's over saturated with romantic comedies. Where most follow the same general plot line of, for
    example Friends with Benefits directed by Will Gluck, of boy meets girl (or the other way around) they fall in love, there love is tested but ultimately wins in the end. (500) Days of Summer in fact does follow this plot format but it differs in two key different ways. It tells the ending upfront, which is they don't end up together, and acknowledges that the rest is predicable. So what the movie does is, it delivers the story non-linearly, which makes the story feel fresh even though its one that we have seen a dozen times.

An important thing to note is that the goal of the movie is not to show a story about people falling in love and getting married. Its to capture what its like to have had a relationship, from the “holy **** moment to the inevitable “your still my best friend”. (500) Days of Summer, gives its audience a new experience by highlighting the range of emotions felt through the course of a relationship. Not the “movie fairy tale” we have all come to expect too see, and struggle to relate too. Its a must watch for anyone in the mood for something that shows its audience something new, but still feels familiar to everyone.
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    It had its moments. I could not shake off the feeling that it could have been much better, but just missed it somehow. There were quite a few laughs. But it failed miserably to make me care about any of the characters. And frankly, I'm sick and tired of the haphazard storytelling. If there is any substance in a script, it would work just fine even with a linear narrative.
  8. Sep 17, 2013
    This movie is unique and not like any other love story, which gives it a diversity and a different sort of recognition within the film community, highly recommended
  9. Sep 17, 2013
    I loooove coming into a film with absolutely no expectations (all I knew about the film was the title) and leaving thinking that you have spent an hour-and-a--half very profitably indeed. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is a great actor and it is rewarding to see him finally get a film to himself after playing second fiddle in soooo many blockbusters. Zooey Duhamel is radiant but in a way that leaves you thinking "do I really like this girl or is she the devil incarnate?" Expand
  10. Aug 12, 2013
    Starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and the lovely Zooey Deschanel (500) Days of Summer manages to breath fresh life into the cliched romantic comedy genre. Told in non-chronological order each scene begins on a different day of the relationship. Jumping from their happiest moments to times of despair makes for a fascinating watch despite the fact that we learn right from the start of the film how things will eventually turn out.

Unusually told from the male leads perspective (500) Days of Summer also maintains a healthy sense of humour throughout, even during some of the movies darker moments, and this largely prevents it from becoming over sentimental in the way other romantic movies have been prone to do. It is all too easy to dismiss this type of movie out of hand but this is certainly offers something just a little bit different.
  11. Jul 21, 2013
    Whenever I see a romantic drama, I always feel overwhelmed by the cheesy atmosphere that exists between loves ones. I doubted a long time about seeing "(500) Days of Summer", and as a big Joseph Gordon-Levitt fan, I decided to watch it, and I don't regret a single thing. Just like in "50/50", Gordon-Levitt manages to hit the emotional strings every single time, because he mirrors his character so very well. Although "50/50" left me with tears of joy, "(500) Days of Summer" left me with a bright smile on my face. The movie is funny, heartwarming, touching and emotional throughout, but especially the last few moments completely wrapped my heart in a cocoon of happiness and hope. Expand
  12. Jul 10, 2013
    Charming movie and our two leads, Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are more than capable of holding things together and why they continue to be among my favorite young actors years after seeing this (did see it when it came out in 2009). It's not the usual romantic comedy as there's nothing dumb about it. Yes, you do get a happy ending, but not the one you'd expect. Highly recommend.
  13. Jul 5, 2013
    Don't get me wrong, I did like the film, but it seemed to me like it was trying too hard to be "indie and cool". It felt like a Hi-Fidelity wannabe (mentioning all the indie cool bands, and adding some great ones to the soundtrack) without actually getting there.
    The fact that I found Summer extremely annoying and self-centered didn't help either.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one to look out
    for in the future he was excellent in this film. He made you sympathise with the plight of his character.
    I especially enjoyed the way the film was directed the way it jumped from past to present and back again. It was a good romantic comedy and yet it left me with a feeling that it was lacking a certain something which would have made it suburb.
  14. Jul 3, 2013
    Lovely bitter-sweet comedy about Tom, a guy who believes in love at first sight and Summer who apparently does not. The plot and characters are believable, and the movie is edited in a clever way. We follow some of the most important moments of the Tom/Summer relationship (and break-up) in a non-linear sequence, which for once improves the story.

Moreover, the movie is interspersed with
    quirky scenes (the black & white "movie" Tom watches after the break-up; the dance scene and scored with brilliant music.

Romantic comedies are hardly ever this good and watchable. It does not hurt that Tom and Summer are played by actors likable and good looking, but in an ordinary way more than in a Hollywood superstar way.
    It is funny to note that some male reviewers hated the Summer character, describing her as a "tease" often using more impolite words. In fact, Summer is honest and straightforward. She is adamant with Tom about not wanting a serious relation and Tom accepts this condition. Unfortunately, when it comes to feelings, how can you really assure anybody that you will not fall madly in love?

That is Summer's mistake: expecting Tom to accept a carefree relationship, when nobody can really foresee how deeply they will love somebody else. But can she be called a tease for that? Tom, harbouring his notion of the "perfect match" is living in an illusion of his own making. He gets obsessed about the fact that Summer is that perfect match and blames her for not living up to his expectations.

In fact, Summer herself falls into the love trap, showing that even the best intentions can crumble down unexpectedly and the girl who did not want a serious relationship ends up married. That is what real life is about, illogical and vastly unforeseeable.
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    A lot of people were mad because this movie is "depressing". Frankly that doesn't make sense. It's not SUPPOSED to be a happy movie. It has very good acting, some very funny lines, and a wonderful soundtrack. And if you've ever been through heartbreak, you'd understand its not exactly a happy thing. Everyone has had a Summer. Its unfortunate but true. Those who haven't had a Summer just haven't met her yet. This is very much a "For Emma Forever Ago" as a movie. Love love love it. Expand
  16. Jun 8, 2013
    I love this film so much. The way it looks at how different people feel in the same relationship. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zoey Deschanel show great on screen chemistry.
  17. Feb 22, 2013
    Amazing film!, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel are so good in this. Both are excellent actors.
    The film is a romantic comedy about the relationship of a girl who doesn't believe in true love while JGL's character does and wants something more from her. With the story unfolds as he retells their times together.
  18. Feb 17, 2013
    A well written, well directed and well performed film. Even though the film didn't always click it still captured something spectacular between the two main characters. A movie that is funny, touching, and very honest.
  19. Feb 14, 2013
    “(500) Days of Summer” is a simple story about destiny and true love. However, this little romantic-comedy takes it a little further. It becomes a more real and honest story about taking chances and moving on with life. One relationship isn’t the end all be all. The film manages to be simple while having a complex script. It tackles the ups and downs, the glorification of certain moments in a relationship, and its aftermath.

The film is quit complex, but the humor is funny with the right amount of quirkiness. Director Marc Webb manages to balance everything from the humor to the heart break with great subtlety. It is a very grounded film, but the direction takes everything to a more wonderful place. The way the story jumps back and forth between time periods is handled well. I really enjoy the original shots the movie has, especially the reality vs. expectation one. The script is incredibly smart. There are so many great laughs placed throughout the film, but nothing becomes over the top and unnatural. I really enjoy this film for it’s quirkiness and incredibly smart writing.

The actors do a fine job in their roles. Joseph Gordon-Levitt brings a lot of subtlety and warmth to his character. He’s incredibly likable and we root for him till the very end. He’s dorky, but relateable. Zooey Deschanel is the every girl. She’s quirky, fun, and almost perfect in every way. However, she’s hard and blunt. When she does something wrong, it’s hard for the audience to be upset with her for too long because she manages to be so sweet. From the main characters to the side characters, the cast gives true and honest performances.

Overall “(500) Days of Summer” is a genuinely great film. It’s touching, cheesy, funny, and oh so very creative in its execution. There are some really nice moments and the script is inventive. The main cast only brings more delight on screen. The film has a great soundtrack that only elevates every sequence. Marc Webb’s direction brings everything together in a quirky, fun, and enjoyable way that feels refreshing. Couple everything with a dance number and you got yourself a real winner. I give it 4.5/5, honest and fun story telling at its finest.

“Fetch Status”
  20. Feb 4, 2013
    This movie is completely infectious. It will have you laughing and loving the characters in a matter of seconds. Most certainly one of the much more original and better romantic comedies out there.
  21. Dec 25, 2012
    If you are building the relationship you hope will last forever watch this movie at least twice. Girls? Don
  22. Nov 28, 2012
    An irresistibly charming, brilliantly uncommon romantic drama featuring two truly great lead performances layered on top of some really intriguing lead characters.
  23. Nov 8, 2012
    One of the best, most original movies of the year.
  24. Oct 11, 2012
    A consistently amiable tale about love and break-ups. Untypical for its genre but ironically the movie does everything right nevertheless. Lovely for couples, singles and recently abandoned ones. Worth watching!
  25. Aug 28, 2012
    Loved this film! Acting was excellent and the storyline was lovely, there was also an excellent pun at the end of the film! Perfect for when your feeling down or if you want a good giggle with friends!
  26. Jul 31, 2012
    One of the smartest, funniest, and heartfelt movies I've ever seen. Marc Webb's direction always feels creative but never gimmicky. (500) Days of Summer is one of the most relatable and emotionally resonant movies I've seen, and one of my all-time favorites.
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    Despite the film's best intentions, I didn't think this had potential to reflect on the idea of what love is when it ended. The contrast of blue skies and dark clouds ended in a blurry mess. The film was a little light for my liking, preferring to not explain the circumstances surrounding what was actually going on between the two main characters. I like both of the actors, but their cute looks gave me more a sense of confusion between seriousness and cheerfulness. Was it supposed to be this confusing, or does this genuinely try and portray complications within a relationship, if you could call what they were going through a relationship? I felt it was quite an arty interpretation, though, with plenty of light-hearted humour. But never ever could this assume that it was trying to preach a message about love, because it wasn't. Expand
  28. Jul 5, 2012
    One of those films where you genuinely care about the characters. In a day when most rom-coms are cheap and manipulative 500 days of summer deals with big themes and executes it perfectly with it's flawless ending.
  29. Jun 28, 2012
    500 days of summer is an impressive story about dorian-gray-thinking woman, looking for new sensations. And Tom is an only new sensation continouing 500 days of summer.
  30. Jun 10, 2012
    As a movie, it's a great one. You think is just a new movie about love, but it's not. It's really different from the others and perspective from love really changes. Particularly, I really love it. Emphasis on the perfomances of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschannel.
  31. Jun 7, 2012
    (500) DAYS was quite an entertaining film, on the other hand. The performance of Zooey Deschanel provides enough chutzpah and energy to hold up an entire film on its own. Tom, as well, is an interesting character to watch. His performance gets a rise out of an audience with the most minute effort. In one scene, there is an off camera person interviewing Tom and his three friends about what love means to each of them. Both of Tomâ Expand
  32. Jun 6, 2012
    D'emblée, on pourrait s'attendre, comme tout film romantique américain, à une guimauve hollywoodienne. Et la couleur se montre bien différente dès la note du réalisateur (affichée avant le début du film). Dès lors, on sait que l'on assiste à une comédie romantique fantaisiste. Oui, c'est bien le mot qui convient ! On n'échappe pas aux inévitables moments tristes, mais (500) jours ensemble esquive tous les clichés du genre, grâce à sa construction en "puzzle" (on passe de la journée 350 à la 1 puis on revient à la 180 puis à la 3...) étonnamment cohérente (servant à des comparaisons sur la situation du couple) et qui donne un côté comique bienvenu, son scénario (rien ne se passe comme on pourrait le deviner dans un autre film du genre). Et que dire des acteurs, en tout cas le couple vedette (Joseph Gordon-Levitt- Zooey Deschanel), à part qu'ils sont naturels, décontractés et talentueux? Non, franchement, (500) jours ensemble est une bien belle petite surprise qui se regarde avec délice. Expand
  33. May 8, 2012
    I love this movie.
    That is all I can say.
  34. Apr 29, 2012
    A truly awful movie. Utterly without point and extremely boring it will literally feel like its been 500 days by the time you have finished watching it. Truly one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
  35. Apr 26, 2012
    Amazing movie. It's funny, charming and even a little sad at times. Joe and Zooey did an amazon job. I've seen this movie countless times, and I'll always watch it again!
  36. Apr 21, 2012
    I loved this movie. I think everyone could relate to the story. I loved the spontaneity of the characters. I liked the part when Summer was sitting on the bench. I liked the conversations between Summer and Tom. I liked most of the lines. I just want to say that the writers of this movie were amazing.
  37. Mar 27, 2012
    The screenplay is genuinely written, and the story doesn't stop from surprising us during the hole movie with its twists and turns. But the thing is, people who watched it easily do projections on their emotional life which is normal because of nature of the story that shows us another dark and bitter side of our human condition witch is pretty disappointing for those people, and yet completely true. It is actually a very bright and cheerful movie to show the sadness that a man can go through somewhere in his life. Expand
  38. Mar 20, 2012
    This is such a cute, romantic, sad with an nice ending. Loved both characters. Zoey played such a classic, indie & vintage-kind-of girl which makes her so likable & unique. Gordon, as usual, expressed his emotions well. I like how their relationship ended mysteriously & the way they depict the number of days to their screenplay.
  39. Feb 23, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is misnamed as a romantic comedy, because is neither romantic or comedy, although is treats the development of love in a couple, contrasting and comparing the woman with the man; it is so depressing, that at times is no longer enjoyable. As to the comedy; this picture is more about drama, which means that the goal is to make the viewer identify with the situation.
    As
    this is not a happy ending story, the movie tries to show how foolish we become when being blindly in love; in other words this film makes a satire of love. According to the picture a person in this situation will forgive everything, will remember all the happy moments but not the sad ones and wont listen any warning.
    The ending is remarkable because both lovers end up believing what the other thought about life in the beginning of the relationship; Tom stopped believing in destiny, happy endings and fairy tale stories; and Summer stopped believing in coincidences, a existence without love and with no possibility of dreaming.
    500 Days of Summer has an interesting plot, script and performances, but I think that the one of Zooey Deschanel is more suitable for the movie than the one of Joseph Gordon Levitt. Up next is autumn.
  40. Feb 16, 2012
    Best romantic comedy of all time to me. It may not have the cliche ending that everyone desires but this is life. Happy endings do not occur on a daily basis. A very strong and compelling performance from the cast, every single one of them although joseph gordon-levitt and zooey deschanel deserve honorable mention. Direction of the movie plus the cinematography was excellent to say the least. soundtrack was played to its strengths too. The script was brilliantly written too, no nonsense corny **** which is another plus point. highly recommended. Expand
  41. Jan 31, 2012
    Loved this movie. Intelligent and witty, creative and fun. It's the only chick flick that I've ever seen and I have to say it's quite good. Extremely good.
  42. Jan 15, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is an original, hilarious, sweet, charming romantic comedy that isn't cliche at all and benefits from the fantastic and charming performances from Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gorden- Levit. I give this film 98%.
  43. Jan 8, 2012
    Light, easy watching but so predictable I lost interest very quickly... my wife liked it so maybe there's hope for this film yet. I'm now just adding characters as this film is uninspiring.
  44. Jan 6, 2012
    I don't know what to think about this movie. The ending was **** sincerely. I don't know if I should laugh or mourn with this movie. Strange, is'n it?
  45. Oct 16, 2011
    Those who can relate to the central meaning of 500 Days of Summer will LOVE IT, those who do not relate will miss it's point. As the movie announces - 500 days is NOT a movie about love, its a movie about a wuss/confused modern male coming to terms with reality. The movies soundtrack is awesome; its visuals are meaningful and interesting. There are some great scenes throughout that I believe are some of the most memorable in recent popular movies. 500 days is not perfect as it does start to drag during its 3rd quarter but I believe is one of the best movies in recent years. Expand
  46. Oct 11, 2011
    Another very long movie with a long drama in which at the end anything happens, not a love story so this movie is nothing, is simply stupid, i really waste my time watching this
  47. j30
    Oct 7, 2011
    One of the best romantic comedies I've seen ever and one of the best comedies I've seen in a long time. Zooey and Joseph are great as the two leads. It's painfully funny and sad to watch the ups and down of this very modern relationship. The structure of the plot is originally creative and interesting. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is turning into one of the most sought after actors at the moment.
  48. Sep 30, 2011
    Wonderful. Real. Funny, Creative. New. Terrific performances. Unique. This film was one of the most pleasant surprises I've seen in years. The leads are wonderful and the direction is well-paced. Here's hoping for more big-screen work from all involved.
  49. Sep 4, 2011
    This film is the perfect romantic comedy-drama. After hundreds of formulaic romcoms, with poor acting, and poor scriptwriting, a film comes along that's sweet, funny, a little sour in places, clever and wonderfully performed. If you only watch one romcom in your life, this is the one.
  50. Aug 28, 2011
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Zooey Deschanel were the perfect choices to play the roles of Tom and Summer. This is one of the best romantic comedies ever being made. And the ending was so ironic, like the girl name was autumn, ahahahaha it's funny. Overall it was a good movie, but i though that the movie should have been more recognize awards wise,
  51. Aug 11, 2011
    Beautifully acted and smartly written romantic comedy.500 Days is a real departure from the norm of the genre.It cleverly avoids every cliche and is completely unsentimental.Zooey Deschanel is adorable and funny while also showing real depth.Joseph Gordon Levitt is also very impressive.It's believable and refreshing.The soundtrack is impeccable and the whole movie is refreshingly honest.One of the best romantic comedies of recent times. Expand
  52. Aug 10, 2011
    This is probably the best romantic comedy I've ever seen. Its dialogue and emotion is so much more real than almost all others. Even if that wasn't the case, the movie would've been saved by Joseph Gordon-Levitt, anyway
  53. CRL
    Aug 8, 2011
    (500) Days of Summer is exactly what it's billed: an entertaining and sometimes very funny indie comedy. If you have 95 minutes to spend and aren't sure how, this movie would be a great choice.
  54. Jul 26, 2011
    This film is unique and well-acted. Gordon-Levitt gives a very good performance here Deschanel is good but there's nothing new when compared to her past roles. Initially, it is difficult to get familiarized with the back and forth nature of storytelling, but eventually it settles in. However, in the end, this is just another tedious, dramatic, quirky, love story genre-film that has been unfairly watered down by all of it's cheesy predecessors. Expand
  55. Jul 22, 2011
    This is a great movie,
    This movie has a great plot, great cinematography, great cast, and great use of music. This movie is without spoiling a realistic romantic comedy. It is indeed an incredible film even though romantic comedies in general suck and are predictable this movie stands out. The movie has a non linear use of plot which is extremely cool. The great shots ans use of color are
    great. The music overall stood out. The choice of music was great, with the combination of certain effects like muting the movie really does create emotions. I really enjoyed this movie and suggest you see it if you dislike or are bored of the normal unrealistic romantic comedy. Expand
  56. Jul 19, 2011
    This romantic comedy manage the rare feat of telling a realistic story of falling in and out of love. The movie cleverly shakes up the formulas genre by, among other things, showing the story in a non-chronological order. This, along with the likability of its leads, holds the viewer's interest throughout the movie
  57. Jul 1, 2011
    A very cleverly written film with a fantastic cast. All the characters compliment each other so well and such witty rhetoric. You quickly fall in love with Tom (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) ever since the beginning. You see Summer (Zooey Deschanel) as such the nice lovely lady and that's exactly what she is. You begin to feel extremely compassionate for Tom when things begin to not go his way. The film takes you through a series of 500 days, hence the title. It jumps back and forth between days at the beginning and towards the end of the relationship showing when things were going good and then when things began to get sour. At times they would show the same circumstances at the beginning and end of the relationship and the noticeable differences. This is a fantastic film anyone who appreciates good film. Expand
  58. Jun 29, 2011
    The Millenial's "When Harry Met Sally." Does a good job at articulating what modern love, dating, and heartbreak feels like, is well written, and has a beautiful aesthetic that remains consistent throughout the entire film.
  59. Jun 23, 2011
    No romantic comedy is truly original or inspiring. This movie, however, does contain great acting, kept me laughing throughout, contained witty dialogue, and left me satisfied, if not entirely content, with the execution and and ending.
  60. May 29, 2011
    Interesting the tematic of the movie. It reveals very good the sentiment which many people live: fear of getting involved and getting hurt (especially after two traumatic experiences or even in their own household). But if do not get involved how to know it? Life is so short... is it worth your time hiding behind a supposed protective security?
  61. May 27, 2011
    My favorite movie.
    A work of art.
    I never wanted it to end. Best picture, best soundtrack, best cast, best script, BEST MOVIE EVER of its genre. It is so beautifully crafted and it's not like all those sappy romantic comedies.
    Just like the narrator says at the very beginning, "This is not a love story. This is a story about love."
  62. May 26, 2011
    Too often compared to the neo-quirky comedies of Wes Anderson and the smart-teen dialogue of "Juno," "500 Days of Summer" is a singularly original comedy in its own right that deserves recognition for brilliant direction, writing, and editing, as well as the wonderful performances from leads and supporting players. A new twist on old formulas, this feature from music video director Marc Webb doesn't pander to the audience's expectations, and recognizes that drama must coincide with laughs. Expand
  63. Apr 27, 2011
    the most depressing movie i have seen in a long time. if you want to see a guy be depressed for 90 minutes and have his heart torn out of his ass, this is the movie for you.
  64. Apr 24, 2011
    This movie is superb by all means. Modern relationships are often misguided opinions and the inability to be truly intimate. Additionally, talking and listening are core elements, because a relationship is difficult. 500 Days of Summer, excels because it presents how society is now a days. Everyone goes on parading something that they feel, and love, when truly it is something they don't quite understand yet, and these are driven by simple infatuations or a blind emotion devoted to not seeing the truth as it is presented. Many of us are in relationships we don't understand, but we still go at it. Why? The movie presents this remarkably well and tells the consequences in flashback sequences. Ultimately though, it ends on a positive note. A must watch, for its light touch of comedy and dramatic effect towards the end. Expand
  65. Feb 21, 2011
    Funny real life scenario, I could see this happening all over the world. It bounces around in days of the relationship and you find yourself laughing but yet its also serious and moving, very good flick to watch with the lady, or maybe not, ;)
  66. Feb 14, 2011
    One of the movie's goals appears to have been to examine how love/a relationship works. Unfortunately, the script writer appears to have not spend enough time researching social philosophy on that topic (f.i. writings of Erich Fromm). Thereafter, the movie misses to make a clear distinction between infatuation and real love/earnest friendship. Furthermore, it completely leaves out the possibility that two people really just might have to work together and have some tolerance for each others flaws. Rather "(500) Days of Summer" suggests that love is something totally random and that a relationship either works perfectly or simply not. Because of this, the "(500) Days of Summer" contributes to keeping alive the fairy tale idea that there is one - and only one - perfect lover in the world for each single person. Nevertheless, the movie does a good job on one of its other goals, which is to encourage the viewer to not follow the trend of striving for quick money, but to follow one's real passion by bringing it to the center of one's life. Lastly, "(500) Days of Summer" is good filmmaking, tastefully combining romance, drama, and short scenes amplifying emotions of the protagonists like a funny musical interlude or beautiful 2-D animation. Expand
  67. Jan 29, 2011
    one of the best in 2009, its ending was totally unexpected. Its cleaver dialog and script makes 500 days of summer one of the best romantic comedy's of all year and maybe of all time. Both leads play there part perfectly as i believed them 100% of the movie. Just the way they told the story was something i have never seen in movies before, i though it would get confusing skipping from day 352 to 2 but it didn't as the director made it work perfectly it added a really good twist to the movie. Expand
  68. Jan 11, 2011
    This is probably the only romantic comedy I've seen to date that I have been able to fully relate to. It's clear a huge amount of research when into peoples' relationships and Marc Webb was able to make a movie which had morals, as well as moments in which you can sit back and laugh at because you've been in a similar situation. The editing style was amazing and we've seen this with Marc Webb's music videos (REF: Move Along, Bad Day & 21 Guns). He loves experimenting with different editing styles and it paid off. By jumping backwards and forwards between different dates from the 500 days, it was a different way of telling a story and revealing vital parts of the plot to the audience as it went on.

Overall, a very good film and one I will no doubt watch over and over again...
  69. Jan 10, 2011
    The title on thiz movie, Summer eventually is the girl name. The truth is no one escaped from love, either Tom and Summer. I think thiz is the best modern romantic drama since ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004). The couple played by Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel. We see Gordon-Levitt recently in G.I. JOE: RISE OF COBRA (2009). The Director is Marc Webb. The chemistry of Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel was very well. The characters seem so easy-going and believable. The movie fills with good music as well, to describe the high and low of love. The movie simply brings us into the mood of love easily, where sometimes fill with laugh and joy, and the other times with hesitation and sadness. In several of scenes, they keep asking each other, where this relationship goes to? If you love somebody that just happens and you can tell her anytime, anywhere, do not care where the place it is. Maybe do not that simple, but we know even love does not last forever, but commitment does. The ending is far from idealistic, but more close to reality. Like I said many times before, if you want to make a great love story, you cannot have the couple stay together in the ending. You can see thiz element from ROMEO AND JULIET to TITANIC and other similar love stories. The essential of love is the moments we ever had. Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com Expand
  70. Jan 3, 2011
    Is this, romantic-comedy, is not a perfect 10 i don't what it is? this movie is the best you can expect for a romantic-comedy and more!! Acting is good, cinematography original and beautiful, music great and its a honest love story that show us what is love and motivate us to go on. Best romantic film since Eternal Sunshine. submit
  71. Dec 11, 2010
    I like how it focuses on the guys side of the relationship where he realizes that he should be paying more attention. There was some fantasy, but it was mild.
  72. Nov 14, 2010
    No one really quite knows the exact reasons why there relationship ends or how it ended in the first place or why it came to end the way it did. All we know is that the relationship is over and there is nothing we can do about it they have moved on so should we however, that is sometimes easier said that done. Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) knows this all too well as h e has just broken up with his loveless, girlfriend Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). He is wreck after there break-up he has lost his kind nature and feels disjointed and lost in the world like he has had his heart ripped out and had her do the Mexican hat dance all over it. Tom is depressed and lonely but thanks to his friends (Geoffrey Arend and Matthew Gray Gubler) and an extraordinarily smart little girl who seems to be an expert on relationships (Chloe Moretz). Tom looks back on the 500 days of his relationship with Summer trying to find out what went wrong and what he could have done differently if he only had a second chance. There is a scene of dialogue that opens this film stating, "This is not a love story, this is a story about love" and that is the entire basis for this film story. This is not a love story a love story is where you see a sequences of events and happenings that lead two people to find one another. Then in a big mush climax they admit there love for one another while the poignant and very sappy music plays in the background while the girl finally finds her knight in shining armor or the boy finally finds his princess. It is a tried and rundown formula that has plagued the romance genre for the last 30 years, now here we are in the 21st century and we still get these sappy and at some points very cringe inducing conclusions to these cliché love stories that makes audiences scoff, scoff because they have seen it hundreds thousands of times before. "(500) Days of Summerâ Expand
  73. Sep 15, 2010
    One of the more memorable movies I've seen in the past year. It had a nice tone and sort of a "real life" feel to it, when it comes to relationships (beyond the fantasy elements in the movie). Not a love story, but a relationship story. Excellent filmmaking.
  74. Sep 6, 2010
    Ironically, the perfect date movie turns out to be a film about some of the more negative aspects of love, the heartbreak and rejection, the confusion and hurt and yet remains a joy to watch. The characters feel more like old friends, whose situations are so real that augments their highs and makes you empathise with their lows. Well written, well acted, well done.
  75. Sep 4, 2010
    I tend to stay away from romantic comedies but this one really got to me. Sure it's a little cliche, but it was charming, and realistic. I really loved it.
  76. Aug 12, 2010
    Fun movie that doesn't end the way every romantic comedy ends, which makes it all the more enjoyable. I really enjoy Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this, he does quite a good job.

1. Reviewed by: Scott Knopf
    You're going to hear a lot about 500 Days of Summer over the next few months. All of the good stuff is true. Any bad stuff you hear is not.
  2. Deschanel does what she does seemingly without effort, managing to convey Summer's mixed-up messed-upness.
  3. The writing is often clever and the overall production playful and intelligent.