Summit Entertainment | Release Date: September 30, 2011
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 571 Ratings
WATCH NOW
bfoore90May 13, 2017
I've always wondered how you can make a comedy with anything involving cancer and doing it while managing not to make someone angry, as someone whose best friend is currently dealing with cancer I found this movie very funny, emotionallyI've always wondered how you can make a comedy with anything involving cancer and doing it while managing not to make someone angry, as someone whose best friend is currently dealing with cancer I found this movie very funny, emotionally flawless and a truly heartfelt film about hope in the face of something as serious as cancer. Expand
marcmyworksDec 20, 2016
Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a cute, insecure cancer patient. Seth Rogan plays his buddy... Seth Rogan. This slow paced tale of a young man's battle with cancer is light, funny and touching, but really doesn't move at a pace to make it moreJoseph Gordon-Levitt plays a cute, insecure cancer patient. Seth Rogan plays his buddy... Seth Rogan. This slow paced tale of a young man's battle with cancer is light, funny and touching, but really doesn't move at a pace to make it more than a simple film. Expand
TheFilmDoctorMar 22, 2016
Part of me doesn't even want to tell you that 50/50 is a comedy about a guy with cancer. Chances are you'll groan and stop reading. That would be a mistake, because 50/50 is not infected with the usual TV tear-jerking and bogus uplift. It'sPart of me doesn't even want to tell you that 50/50 is a comedy about a guy with cancer. Chances are you'll groan and stop reading. That would be a mistake, because 50/50 is not infected with the usual TV tear-jerking and bogus uplift. It's actually hilarious, heartfelt and acted with such no-bull audacity that you'll hate yourself for just thinking you'd hate it.

OK, I've got one more groaner hurdle. 50/50 is inspired by a true story, "inspired" usually translating into an excuse to make **** up. Not here. Will Reiser, who wrote the screenplay, really was diagnosed with a malignant spinal tumor. Since he wrote the script, you probably surmised he didn't die. And Seth Rogen, who plays Reiser's friend in the movie, really is Reiser's friend. Rogen and his Superbad partner Evan Goldberg helped get the movie produced. I'm guessing the names have been changed to protect some of the raunchier jokes.

That's OK by me – 50/50 is better than OK, it's some kind of miracle considering the traps that could have mangled it. The stellar Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays Adam (the Will character), a producer at NPR in Seattle, and he gives one of the best performances of the year, taking Adam on the roller coaster from diagnosis to dread and defiance without making a false move. And Rogen plays Kyle (the Seth character) with his signature bawdy wit laced with touching gravity. Gordon-Levitt and Rogen are a dream team, even when the dream turns into a nightmare. Cheers to director Jonathan Levine (The Wackness) for giving the film a raw, ragged look that deepens his attempts to keep it real. Gordon-Levitt shaved his own head in the scene where Adam decides to cut off his hair before chemo does the job. I can't speak to whether Gordon-Levitt participated in the scene in which Kyle trims Adam's balls. But no rowdy opportunity is missed, especially with Adam and two fellow patients (Philip Baker Hall and Matt Frewer).

More delicate feelings spring up between Adam and Katherine (a wonderful Anna Ken­drick), his painfully inexperienced therapist. But for full-throttle emotion, hold on for a superb Anjelica Huston as Adam's take-charge mother, coping with a son who'd rather ignore her and a husband facing dementia. At every point when you expect the story to tumble over into sitcom/soap-opera excess, 50/50 pulls back and sides with unvarnished truth. A movie handled with this kind of care is a rare gift. Refusing to hide from pain or bow to it, 50/50 makes its own rules. It'll get to you.
SpangleMar 13, 2016
50/50 is a pleasant surprise of a film. As many critics have alluded to, the film brilliantly handles its cancer subject and balances the serious, the emotional, and the funny, phenomenally. Every transition is seamless and it honestly never50/50 is a pleasant surprise of a film. As many critics have alluded to, the film brilliantly handles its cancer subject and balances the serious, the emotional, and the funny, phenomenally. Every transition is seamless and it honestly never felt as though the film was disjointed or did not know what it was. Rather, the film decided to take a lighter approach to cancer, which is appreciated. While it still hit you with the true emotion and the pain and suffering as necessary, it tried to lighten the mood throughout, which is why Seth Rogen is perfect here. As a comic, he really brought his A game here and served as a perfect foil to the subject as a whole. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic here, as are Anna Kendrick, Philip Baker Hall, and Anjelica Huston. Huston played the mother perfectly and really felt authentic as the mother of a cancer victim. The direction and the writing are the winners here as the film manages to tackle the dirty and gritty elements of cancer, while also being a really fun and entertaining comedy. 50/50 is a true joy to watch and will make you laugh and cry, as it did to me. Expand
audreythomas25Feb 22, 2016
An honest, earnest and powerful look at a young person's battle with cancer.

Watch this movie here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-1fb953-5050-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
TrilobiteGAug 17, 2015
An insanely effective film in emotion and drama, but it falls a little in comedy. I wish this film did have more laughs, that being said, the overshadow of how effectively this movie created sadness is good enough for me. Really impressive stuff
Scout523Jun 20, 2015
Absolutely phenomenal movie and instantly one of my all-time favorites. A movie about a tragic and deadly illness that every family deals with at least once that manages to throw some comic relief (mostly by Seth Rogen's character), but canAbsolutely phenomenal movie and instantly one of my all-time favorites. A movie about a tragic and deadly illness that every family deals with at least once that manages to throw some comic relief (mostly by Seth Rogen's character), but can also pull on the heart strings. Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt should've gotten more attention, in my honest opinion. At least an Oscar nod for one of them, or even maybe a win, possibly? Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a unique actor who only gets roles in movies in which he is going to exceed in. Just look at his filmography: Looper, Inception, the Nolan Batman movies, Don Jon, 50/50, 500 Days of Summer, and, coming this fall, The Walk. All positively-received films that won many awards and got numerous nominations. Now, Seth Rogen is one of the greatest comedic actors out there currently. Here's some of his filmography: The Interview, 50/50, Superbad, This is the End, Pineapple Express, and Neighbors. All well-received films that have built Rogen a reputation that I don't think even he can ruin. Bryce Dallas Howard and Anna Kendrick may not have as many well-known and well-received films on their resume, but both were superb in this movie, even though Anna Kendrick's character can get a little awkward at times. My only gripe with this movie is that Levitt's and Kendrick's characters' relationship was kinda predictable from early on. Other than that, this film is absolutely phenomenal. Expand
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
In this funny and touching movie every actors are amazing.Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen were absolutely fantastic and the movie in general is fantastic.
MattBrady99Mar 13, 2015
I never thought a film like 50/50 that has drama mix with comedy, all about cancer, could be a fantastically well done comedy with a little touch of drama that's been handle so well in this film, because 50/50 is one of the best movies ofI never thought a film like 50/50 that has drama mix with comedy, all about cancer, could be a fantastically well done comedy with a little touch of drama that's been handle so well in this film, because 50/50 is one of the best movies of 2011.

The story to 50/50 is about a young man is diagnosed with a rare form of spinal cancer and decides to fight for his life with the help his friend, mother and a young therapist.

When 50/50 first came out back in 2011 I didn't take much notice on it, as I was only watching movies that I wanted to watch, and let's not forget I was only about 12 years old at that time, and as a brainless 12 year old, I liked Green Lantern and Transformers: Dark of the Moon but skipped this movie, and boy was it the biggest mistake of my life for skipping this movie.

This has to be Joseph Gordon-Levitt best role that he was in, because in this movie he showed anger, sadness and pure happiest with his friend, and Joseph nailed all those three and he carried this movie by his actions and his performance that was nothing short, but spectacular in any way.

Now I'm going to get this out of the way, but I thought Seth Rogen was going to be annoying in this movie, just by the posters and the trailers made it out that he was annoying tool, but my god I was dead wrong about Rogen, because in this movie I saw Seth Rogen giving a serious, but still funny performance, and I'm not kidding you but in this movie he almost made me cry and I never thought that could be possible. His character is supportive, caring and really caring and it's all by the brilliant performance from Seth and the movie groundbreaking writing.

The writing is some of the best written comedy and the most down to earth wring I've seen in a while, and I'm still shocked that this movie didn't get a Oscar Nomination for writing. Man f''k the Oscars.

Now I normally don't do this in my reviews and what I mean is like I don't talk about big dramas or something very serious happening in my life, because it's my life and it's private, but now I have to get something out there and I want you all to know why I think this movie is freaking fantastic, is because one of my family members use to have cancer and that was my mum, while she was going through chemo and surgery. I watched her and supported her and I saw her doing extreme and crazy things that she will never do before, and as a person (Like me) who had to go through something so horrible like that and then watch 50/50 a movie that to me get's anything right and the character's that feel like people not movie character's that's why I think this movie is just flawless and get's it right.
ryanneevmanDec 23, 2014
50/50 is a special kind of a film. It is rare for a film to devote itself to both drama and comedy in such a masterful way as this one. A very enjoyable little film.
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
50/50 manages to bring humour about of a very serious subject. It took some balls for this movie to hit theatres and it holds up its end of the bargain. Its not always funny but it is always entertaining.
oxanaAug 24, 2014
Adam (Joseph Gordon-Lewitt, the main reason for my seeing this movie) is a healthy young man who is too nice for his own good - and who gets cancer.

Between his best friend Kyle (Seth Rogen), who is quick to exploit his illness, his artistic girlfriend Rachel (Bryce Dallas Howard) who cannot really take the pressure of caring for him, his suffocating mother, and a young therapist Katherine (Anna Kendrick), Adam finds happiness in places he didn't expect - and has to face a set of new fears he really doesn't know how to deal with.

A funny, touching, emotional and somewhat sad story that shows the ups and downs of a cancer patient, and little glimpses to how hard it is for those around them to deal with the diagnosis.

Evenly paced, well told story that makes you laugh, but still holds onto a serious side of things.
ncstatemikeJan 28, 2014
[8.7] This movie does pretty much everything right. Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt are an incredibly likable foil, the movie is consistently funny, and the drama is delightfully modern and complements the comedy quite well. Everything in[8.7] This movie does pretty much everything right. Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt are an incredibly likable foil, the movie is consistently funny, and the drama is delightfully modern and complements the comedy quite well. Everything in this movie is mixed smoothly and deftly. It's far from perfect, and it has some slightly underwhelming moments especially in the therapy scenes, but it is thoroughly entertaining. Expand
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
Works as a drama, and JGL plays the part just right. Seth Rogen tries, but doesn't succeed as the comical best friend in a movie with such a serious nature. Whenever there is a movie about a topic like cancer, jokes are not that acceptable.
ninja_dolphinJul 16, 2013
A heart warming movie that deals with a tough subject. The film mixes emotions together to create a really fun movie with great performances from the lead actors who add to the feel of the movie as a whole.
DusksparkJul 1, 2013
"50/50" is one of those very few movies that manage to find the ideal mix between humor, drama, and emotion. The movie nails the emotions at the time it wants to, from the fear and depression that comes with the cancer, to the lighter and"50/50" is one of those very few movies that manage to find the ideal mix between humor, drama, and emotion. The movie nails the emotions at the time it wants to, from the fear and depression that comes with the cancer, to the lighter and funnier side of the movie (without ever insulting any cancer patients, contrary to some beliefs). And I am proud to say that this is the first movie that ever made me cry, due to its way of telling you "Do what you want to, while you still can". Expand
KivaJun 22, 2013
This film was funny and moving at the same. It was intense and I liked all the performances in that film especially Seth Rogen. I can say that this one was great for the cinema as many people laughed and some were crying?? That's all i haveThis film was funny and moving at the same. It was intense and I liked all the performances in that film especially Seth Rogen. I can say that this one was great for the cinema as many people laughed and some were crying?? That's all i have to say. A must watch... Expand
TylerDsCreationJun 12, 2013
Cancer is a matter that shouldn’t be laughed at. So when you hear of the new “cancer comedy” coming out, you are immediately offended. Well, 50/50 is a cancer comedy and I think it gets a bad rap for being that. 50/50 may have jokesCancer is a matter that shouldn’t be laughed at. So when you hear of the new “cancer comedy” coming out, you are immediately offended. Well, 50/50 is a cancer comedy and I think it gets a bad rap for being that. 50/50 may have jokes throughout and some that even involve our protagonist’s spinal cancer, but the last thing 50/50 is doing is laughing at cancer.
There are a lot of movies that take on the tough subject of cancer and it’s usually about a person struggling with the illness and going into a depression or trying to provide for his family before it’s his time to go. What I’m saying is that they don’t take this subject lightly. 50/50 doesn’t take the subject lightly either; actually it is probably more accurate in its interpretation than any of the other films that go around the same concept. 50/50 takes cancer and instead of making it dreary and somber, it becomes a film that can mask the sadness and put something incredible, and even beautiful, in its place. It brings out the best of the situation with hilarity, and it shows the true struggles with drama, but it shows them in a way that you can tell that the characters are overcoming them one step at a time with the help from their family and friends.
50/50 is a success is a lot of its aspects, but the most impressive part is the writing. Will Reiser is a poet. The writing in this movie is so complex and so impactful, it’s beautiful. The best part about it, and I noticed this immediately after, is that even the smaller and less important events that occur during the movie are shown and felt as to be equal to the large events that occur. The small occurrences send just as much of an impact as the larger ones. There is a scene where Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets angry at Seth Rogen out of stress and yells at him for using his cancer to get women and that he doesn’t care about him. In the net scene, JGL goes back to Rogen’s house and before leaving, decides to go to the bathroom and sitting on the toilet seat is a book called “Facing Cancer Together.” JGL opens up the book and sees that there are sections of text underlined and arrows pointing to important parts. Now this was only a short scene that doesn’t have much to do with the bulk of the plot, but it is nonetheless one of the most impactful and emotionally rewarding scenes in this movie. It shows that Rogen’s character was having difficulties with the cancer and that he really did care, and it shows it with utter finesse.
Another impressive aspect was the acting. The acting was phenomenal in this movie, from everyone in it. Even Seth Rogen showed us a dramatic side that we had no idea he had. He really surprised at how good he was at being the funny best friend to JGL (Kyle). But the best performance was from JGL himself. His character was a tough one to play. His character was the kind of person who you would think was nice when you met him, but you wouldn’t have any interest in meeting with him again. He was awkward, sad, and extremely sympathetic. JGL played the character in a way that he made the character almost intolerably sympathetic without making him unlikable. Nothing ever goes his way. Throughout the entire movie, even in the funny parts, you never lose that feeling that he has cancer and that he’s still trying to overcome that obstacle. This is an important thing to keep because you don’t want to lose sight of what’s truly going on.
50/50 moved me in ways I didn’t think a movie could. It wasn’t just a respectable film that effectively captures the raw emotion of cancer, but it was an incredibly entertaining one. It was hilarious, heartfelt, sad, and almost beautiful…no, it was beautiful. It takes the sorrow and sadness of cancer and masks the darkness with something bright and joyful that just makes you happy. That’s what this movie did, it made me happy. I don’t know how many movies about an illness you can say that about, but it made me happy and excited about life. I would even say that cancer patients should check this one out because it doesn’t make cancer out to be this dangerous and terrifying thing you should fear, it makes it out to be just another obstacle in the way of the great game of life. 50/50 digs to the heart of a tough situation with humor and drama without ever losing sight of what it really cares about, and what it cares about is magnificent.
BrianMcCriticMay 2, 2013
Everyone in the cast are at their very best here. To pull off such a great comedy/drama involving something as hard as cancer shows the talent of the acting and directing.
wiggipopMar 31, 2013
A well-acted film about normal people dealing with mortality. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is terrific as always, and the story goes to some interesting places, but also some obvious ones. A small film with a good message.
Tranquilbez22Mar 12, 2013
Never I have I cried and laughed so hard in the same movie! This is an underated masterpiece. Everyone is casted fanatastically. Props to Anjelica Houston for playing the neurodic mother, probably one her best roles ever. Joseph Gordon-Never I have I cried and laughed so hard in the same movie! This is an underated masterpiece. Everyone is casted fanatastically. Props to Anjelica Houston for playing the neurodic mother, probably one her best roles ever. Joseph Gordon- Levitt is extremely likeable and sympathetic as a lead. The plot is typical but still moving. Go and See this movie! Expand
TokyochuchuMar 3, 2013
Cancer and comedy don't really go hand in hand, but 50/50 does a great job of pairing them up. There are, of course, some tear inducing moments to be had but more often than not, 50/50 has you laughing out loud. Seth Rogan is tremendouslyCancer and comedy don't really go hand in hand, but 50/50 does a great job of pairing them up. There are, of course, some tear inducing moments to be had but more often than not, 50/50 has you laughing out loud. Seth Rogan is tremendously funny! 50/50 is a great movie, full of heart, humor and good performances. Expand
tomtom4468Feb 5, 2013
One of the best comedy-drama films I have ever viewed. This is some of Joseph Gordon-Levitt's best acting, and one of the most dramatic films of 2011, I almost cried.
TheQuietGamerDec 23, 2012
An excellent drama/comedy that doesn't skimp out on any drama or comedy. Everybody gives a fantastic performance and it will completely suck you in. Outstanding.
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
I think this is one of the best drama/comedy films I have seen in a very long time. The cast is perfect and Joseph Gordon-Levitt shines. One of the more underrated films of 2011.
YoursTrulyDec 3, 2012
One of the more seamless blends of drama and comedy that I have ever seen. Throughout the entire film I found myself prepared to cry as well as prepared to laugh. In that way it was very much like...well...life. 50/50 is engaging, humorous,One of the more seamless blends of drama and comedy that I have ever seen. Throughout the entire film I found myself prepared to cry as well as prepared to laugh. In that way it was very much like...well...life. 50/50 is engaging, humorous, touching, heartfelt and uplifting. Very, very nice movie. Expand
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A remarkably emotional, astonishingly hilarious, life-affirming drama with winsome characters and some truly uplifting thematic messages to share.
axelkochNov 15, 2012
A great dramedy with flawless actors. You see how intense cancer is, but on the other side it makes you feel good. It was too stereotypical and predictable to give it a 10 or a 9, but nevertheless it's a wonderful movie. Go and watch it, it'sA great dramedy with flawless actors. You see how intense cancer is, but on the other side it makes you feel good. It was too stereotypical and predictable to give it a 10 or a 9, but nevertheless it's a wonderful movie. Go and watch it, it's really loveable! Expand
lasttimeisawNov 9, 2012
A dramedy about cancer is a proper hard-sell in the market, this wee budget film (although JGL and Seth Rogan are quite bankable names among their peers) has done a quite solid battle in the box-office last year (domestic total gross is $35A dramedy about cancer is a proper hard-sell in the market, this wee budget film (although JGL and Seth Rogan are quite bankable names among their peers) has done a quite solid battle in the box-office last year (domestic total gross is $35 million against its $8 million budget), due to its very heartfelt closeness and touchingness of its concoction of the three-faceted narrative (love, friendship and family) revolving around our young protagonist who has been through an ordeal of a very rare spine cancer. Adopted from a true event of the screenwriter Will Reiser (who is a close friend of Rogen and takes on an ephemeral cameo too), the film has a rare pluck and daintiness in reciting the story from a very earthly perspective, no flamboyant hyperbole, the plot goes through a carefully measured but innately captivating melodrama (although the big question of the survival of the operation had never been doubted, the bare truth is the screenwriter himself is still alive!), it could be reckoned as a sequel of (500) DAYS OF SUMMER (2009, 8/10), JGL continues to generate his congenial drawing power through the rough road of a young man Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
Everyone is pitch perfect. Levitt delivers compelling and heart wrenching performance, Kendrick is great, and even the parents have specific and well executed roles.