Summit Entertainment | Release Date: September 30, 2011
8.5
Universal acclaim based on 572 Ratings
Watch Now
SpangleMar 13, 2016
50/50 is a pleasant surprise of a film. As many critics have alluded to, the film brilliantly handles its cancer subject and balances the serious, the emotional, and the funny, phenomenally. Every transition is seamless and it honestly never50/50 is a pleasant surprise of a film. As many critics have alluded to, the film brilliantly handles its cancer subject and balances the serious, the emotional, and the funny, phenomenally. Every transition is seamless and it honestly never felt as though the film was disjointed or did not know what it was. Rather, the film decided to take a lighter approach to cancer, which is appreciated. While it still hit you with the true emotion and the pain and suffering as necessary, it tried to lighten the mood throughout, which is why Seth Rogen is perfect here. As a comic, he really brought his A game here and served as a perfect foil to the subject as a whole. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is fantastic here, as are Anna Kendrick, Philip Baker Hall, and Anjelica Huston. Huston played the mother perfectly and really felt authentic as the mother of a cancer victim. The direction and the writing are the winners here as the film manages to tackle the dirty and gritty elements of cancer, while also being a really fun and entertaining comedy. 50/50 is a true joy to watch and will make you laugh and cry, as it did to me. Expand
TVJerryOct 3, 2011
Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a nice guy who finds out he has a serious form of cancer. While he deals with the unpleasant side effects of his treatment and the reactions of the women in his life, his best friend (Seth Rogen) supports him withJoseph Gordon-Levitt plays a nice guy who finds out he has a serious form of cancer. While he deals with the unpleasant side effects of his treatment and the reactions of the women in his life, his best friend (Seth Rogen) supports him with plenty of humor. There are moments of pain and earnest drama, but a good laugh is never far away. Rogen shines with his constant comic comments and Gordon-Levitt delivers another touching, but strong performance. Don't be dismayed by the subject and enjoy the jokes! Expand
TheQuietGamerDec 23, 2012
An excellent drama/comedy that doesn't skimp out on any drama or comedy. Everybody gives a fantastic performance and it will completely suck you in. Outstanding.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
A remarkably emotional, astonishingly hilarious, life-affirming drama with winsome characters and some truly uplifting thematic messages to share.
MovieGuysSep 20, 2013
Works as a drama, and JGL plays the part just right. Seth Rogen tries, but doesn't succeed as the comical best friend in a movie with such a serious nature. Whenever there is a movie about a topic like cancer, jokes are not that acceptable.
BrianMcCriticMay 2, 2013
Everyone in the cast are at their very best here. To pull off such a great comedy/drama involving something as hard as cancer shows the talent of the acting and directing.
Meth-dudeMay 17, 2015
In this funny and touching movie every actors are amazing.Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen were absolutely fantastic and the movie in general is fantastic.
imthenoobFeb 29, 2012
It was a really good film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen were both solid leads in this film, The rest of the cast was solid as well. Its definently a film worth watching imo.
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
Everyone is pitch perfect. Levitt delivers compelling and heart wrenching performance, Kendrick is great, and even the parents have specific and well executed roles.
marcmyworksDec 20, 2016
Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a cute, insecure cancer patient. Seth Rogan plays his buddy... Seth Rogan. This slow paced tale of a young man's battle with cancer is light, funny and touching, but really doesn't move at a pace to make it moreJoseph Gordon-Levitt plays a cute, insecure cancer patient. Seth Rogan plays his buddy... Seth Rogan. This slow paced tale of a young man's battle with cancer is light, funny and touching, but really doesn't move at a pace to make it more than a simple film. Expand
ydnar4Nov 23, 2014
50/50 manages to bring humour about of a very serious subject. It took some balls for this movie to hit theatres and it holds up its end of the bargain. Its not always funny but it is always entertaining.
TokyochuchuMar 3, 2013
Cancer and comedy don't really go hand in hand, but 50/50 does a great job of pairing them up. There are, of course, some tear inducing moments to be had but more often than not, 50/50 has you laughing out loud. Seth Rogan is tremendouslyCancer and comedy don't really go hand in hand, but 50/50 does a great job of pairing them up. There are, of course, some tear inducing moments to be had but more often than not, 50/50 has you laughing out loud. Seth Rogan is tremendously funny! 50/50 is a great movie, full of heart, humor and good performances. Expand
j30Nov 8, 2011
I absolutely loved this movie. One of my favorites I've seen all year. With the combination of Joseph Gordon Levitt's boyish charm to Seth Rogan's Seth Rogan, it's comedic heaven. It's the type of movie that makes you grateful for what youI absolutely loved this movie. One of my favorites I've seen all year. With the combination of Joseph Gordon Levitt's boyish charm to Seth Rogan's Seth Rogan, it's comedic heaven. It's the type of movie that makes you grateful for what you have and who you share that with. Expand
MattBrady99Mar 13, 2015
I never thought a film like 50/50 that has drama mix with comedy, all about cancer, could be a fantastically well done comedy with a little touch of drama that's been handle so well in this film, because 50/50 is one of the best movies ofI never thought a film like 50/50 that has drama mix with comedy, all about cancer, could be a fantastically well done comedy with a little touch of drama that's been handle so well in this film, because 50/50 is one of the best movies of 2011.

The story to 50/50 is about a young man is diagnosed with a rare form of spinal cancer and decides to fight for his life with the help his friend, mother and a young therapist.

When 50/50 first came out back in 2011 I didn't take much notice on it, as I was only watching movies that I wanted to watch, and let's not forget I was only about 12 years old at that time, and as a brainless 12 year old, I liked Green Lantern and Transformers: Dark of the Moon but skipped this movie, and boy was it the biggest mistake of my life for skipping this movie.

This has to be Joseph Gordon-Levitt best role that he was in, because in this movie he showed anger, sadness and pure happiest with his friend, and Joseph nailed all those three and he carried this movie by his actions and his performance that was nothing short, but spectacular in any way.

Now I'm going to get this out of the way, but I thought Seth Rogen was going to be annoying in this movie, just by the posters and the trailers made it out that he was annoying tool, but my god I was dead wrong about Rogen, because in this movie I saw Seth Rogen giving a serious, but still funny performance, and I'm not kidding you but in this movie he almost made me cry and I never thought that could be possible. His character is supportive, caring and really caring and it's all by the brilliant performance from Seth and the movie groundbreaking writing.

The writing is some of the best written comedy and the most down to earth wring I've seen in a while, and I'm still shocked that this movie didn't get a Oscar Nomination for writing. Man f''k the Oscars.

Now I normally don't do this in my reviews and what I mean is like I don't talk about big dramas or something very serious happening in my life, because it's my life and it's private, but now I have to get something out there and I want you all to know why I think this movie is freaking fantastic, is because one of my family members use to have cancer and that was my mum, while she was going through chemo and surgery. I watched her and supported her and I saw her doing extreme and crazy things that she will never do before, and as a person (Like me) who had to go through something so horrible like that and then watch 50/50 a movie that to me get's anything right and the character's that feel like people not movie character's that's why I think this movie is just flawless and get's it right.
lasttimeisawNov 9, 2012
A dramedy about cancer is a proper hard-sell in the market, this wee budget film (although JGL and Seth Rogan are quite bankable names among their peers) has done a quite solid battle in the box-office last year (domestic total gross is $35A dramedy about cancer is a proper hard-sell in the market, this wee budget film (although JGL and Seth Rogan are quite bankable names among their peers) has done a quite solid battle in the box-office last year (domestic total gross is $35 million against its $8 million budget), due to its very heartfelt closeness and touchingness of its concoction of the three-faceted narrative (love, friendship and family) revolving around our young protagonist who has been through an ordeal of a very rare spine cancer. Adopted from a true event of the screenwriter Will Reiser (who is a close friend of Rogen and takes on an ephemeral cameo too), the film has a rare pluck and daintiness in reciting the story from a very earthly perspective, no flamboyant hyperbole, the plot goes through a carefully measured but innately captivating melodrama (although the big question of the survival of the operation had never been doubted, the bare truth is the screenwriter himself is still alive!), it could be reckoned as a sequel of (500) DAYS OF SUMMER (2009, 8/10), JGL continues to generate his congenial drawing power through the rough road of a young man Expand
oxanaAug 24, 2014
Adam (Joseph Gordon-Lewitt, the main reason for my seeing this movie) is a healthy young man who is too nice for his own good - and who gets cancer.

Between his best friend Kyle (Seth Rogen), who is quick to exploit his illness, his artistic girlfriend Rachel (Bryce Dallas Howard) who cannot really take the pressure of caring for him, his suffocating mother, and a young therapist Katherine (Anna Kendrick), Adam finds happiness in places he didn't expect - and has to face a set of new fears he really doesn't know how to deal with.

A funny, touching, emotional and somewhat sad story that shows the ups and downs of a cancer patient, and little glimpses to how hard it is for those around them to deal with the diagnosis.

Evenly paced, well told story that makes you laugh, but still holds onto a serious side of things.
worleyjamersDec 6, 2012
I think this is one of the best drama/comedy films I have seen in a very long time. The cast is perfect and Joseph Gordon-Levitt shines. One of the more underrated films of 2011.
HalfwelshmanDec 2, 2011
50/50 is a comedy drama with a main emphasis on the drama. Yes there are funny moments, but the subject matter (a young man getting cancer) is do damn depressing that they do little to lighten the mood. Joseph Gordon-Levitt puts in the50/50 is a comedy drama with a main emphasis on the drama. Yes there are funny moments, but the subject matter (a young man getting cancer) is do damn depressing that they do little to lighten the mood. Joseph Gordon-Levitt puts in the performance of his career as the cancer-stricken Adam Lerner - he is for the most part understated, yet always compelling and really brings home the unimaginable struggle of someone in his position. Anna Kendrick also impresses as Adam's young psychotherapist, believably showing someone who's read all the textbooks but lacks an appropriate bedside manner due to her inexperience, and Angelica Huston also impresses, playing Adam's caring and protective, yet shunned mother. The film, in the end, is more about how cancer affects those closest to you rather than the afflicted individual, though the scenes taking place in hospital are still harrowing. 50/50 really brings across how close friends and family are unable to deal with such disastrous news as finding out that someone close to you may soon die - they try their best to be strong and supportive, but can never imagine what the afflicted person is going through. It's highly emotional, and at times hard to watch (particularly for a film spanning 100 minutes). the film is by no means perfect - Brycle Dallas Howard's character is pretty redundant - it almost seems like the filmmakers added her simply to have someone abandoning Adam due to his illness, and therefore have the full range of reactions to his condition, and some of the extended tear-jerking scenes, though they serve their purpose by provoking an emotional response, can remind you a little too much of an episode of Scrubs. Despite this comparison, it is as a drama that 50/50 is most effective - as a comedy, I'm not sure. There are laughs to be had in the awkward responses Adam gets from various people when they find out about his dire situation, but Seth Rogen's character of best friend Kyle does also persuade the terminally ill Adam to use his condition to get laid, which I found a little tasteless. It's an undeniably brave film about cancer how it can change the lives of not only the person afflicted, and it has some extremely memorable performances, but 50/50 has the odd stumble in terms of tone - as a drama it's moving, as a comedy, the subject matter offers little scope. Expand
BikerjamesOct 2, 2011
I loved this film. It's been awhile since I gave a movie a 10 but I was cast into this movie's spell. I cared about all the characters, even though the Rogen character was a little close to being over the top. Levitt is absolutely perfectI loved this film. It's been awhile since I gave a movie a 10 but I was cast into this movie's spell. I cared about all the characters, even though the Rogen character was a little close to being over the top. Levitt is absolutely perfect as the cancer stricken person holding all his emotions in, until he finally explodes the night before his surgery. I haven't cried at a movie in years but definitely teared up at this one. I'm glad the time of the year has arrived when the good movies are shown. Highly recommended. Deserves the great reviews it's getting. Expand
ShiiraDec 15, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The prognosis for Vivian Bearing's survival is far from 50/50. Right from the start, the scholar puts the audience on notice: "I have stage IV metastatic ovarian cancer. There is no stage five." In facing death, Professor Bearing is blunt; she dashes our hopes for a Hollywood ending. Statistically speaking, the odds of her living through this hovers around 99/1, or worse. But still, she gets laughs. She's funny. Who knew? Just us. With no loved ones to speak of, Vivian, by default, speaks to the viewer, in hospital rooms without fourth walls, which allows the lifelong educator to deliver a seminar on her "uncompromising" life, filled with jokes. That's the remarkable thing about Emma Thompson's performance in Mike Nichols' adaptation of the 1999 Pulitzer Prize-winning play "Wit"(by Margaret Edson): the gallows humor gets provided by the patient, whereas in "50/50", it's Kyle who offsets the maudlin situation by concentrating on the perks of having a friend who just might be dying. To say the least, "50/50" is irreverent about life and death. Adam's illness provides a boost for his sex life. For the longest time, you're never sure if there's a method to Kyle's madness. Played by Joseph Gordon Leavitt, Adam would be more apt to sing "Here Comes Your Man"(like in "500 Days of Summer") than "Wind Beneath My Wings" on karaoke night. "Beaches", it is not. In James Brooks' "Terms of Endearment", against a Manhattan backdrop, Debra Winger implores a friend that "it's alright to talk about the cancer," but is it alright to joke about something so "insidious" and "pernicious". "Lance Armstrong, he's always getting it," Kyle, with offhanded aplomb, tells his buddy, as if schwannoma(a nerve sheath tumor that's normally benign, but in Adam's case, is malignant, and located on the spine) was nothing to worry about. And then, as another example, he uses Patrick Swayze, which many will find in bad taste, yet for Kyle, who is trying desperately to soothe himself and Adam out on the sidewalks of Seattle, it's not a joke; he just flat-out didn't know that the beloved actor had lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. While some moviegoers may find his "faux pas" darkly amusing, and others, an uproarious joke that is symptomatic of an Internet culture which breeds barbarity, you don't see either pedestrian laughing. Kyle looks devastated. He just allowed death back into the room, causing added anxiety for both. You can see the wheels spinning in Kyle's head, as he tries to fix this rift in his shaky rhetoric. But from our side of the screen, most people will be staring back in horror. The joke about Swayze is an open-and-shut case of being "too soon". As for cancer itself, however, a disease that dates back to ancient Greece, it's fair game, arguably, for a comedic filmmaker, since more than enough time has passed. Conversely, a lighthearted movie about AIDS would be tricky. The relatively young disease lacks the historicity of cancer, therefore, making light of somebody's lesions would indeed be "too soon". "50/50', on the other hand, is right on time. The cancer genre needed this. Unlike AIDS, there really is no canonical films to speak of; no "Philadelphia" to hang a hat on its bald head. "Wit", albeit a searing masterpiece, may be better known as a stage play. And "Terms of Endearment", in spite of its Oscar-laden pedigree, seems awfully facile in its depiction of a young woman's cancer; it's movie cancer, the kind without the chemotherapy sessions that gives rise to the nausea and the baldness, which "Wit" depicts, and "50/50" subverts. When Vivian throws up, it's not the vomit, but the wit stemming from her serial regurgitations that has us cautiously guffawing. Words, not actions, make the professor funny. She's too dignified for either comic subgenre: the gross-out comedy and the stoner flick. And that's a shame. Life has passed her by. She doesn't have to "barf [her] brains out", but drugs, even the remedying kind, is verboten for her. Nancy Reagan would love this woman. By contrast, Seth Rogen, who lights up in "Pineapple Express"(and many other films), keeps on smoking, but this time it's for a worthwhile cause, since the pot is for medicinal purposes, not recreational. In retrospect, the soft drug belongs in "Terms of Endearment", not "Poltergeist". And it belongs in "Wit", too. Cannabis critics, however, will point out that Adam is having too much fun. Medicinal marijuana, they'll say, excuses people to have pot parties. Vivian's idea of fun is more their speed. The professor makes a game out of guessing her emesis output. To wit, she needs to watch a Cheech & Chong movie, not deconstruct one more 17th century sonnet. In "50/50" the bromance movie grows up. More than ever, it's easy to see how a close male friend can be like a surrogate girlfriend, as Adam finds himself between women, and only has Kyle to lean on. Expand
nutterjrMay 22, 2012
A film about a young guy learning he has cancer with 50% chances of dying manages to show what it is like living as if he has 50% of living. Levitt once again proves to be one of the best of his generation.
hoops2448Dec 9, 2011
50/50 is one of those films that you either love or hate. If you hate it, you really hate it, you loathe it with a passion because for some reason you find the film offensive. If you are in the love category the film floors you with its50/50 is one of those films that you either love or hate. If you hate it, you really hate it, you loathe it with a passion because for some reason you find the film offensive. If you are in the love category the film floors you with its depiction of a man way too young contracting a deadly disease. As you may have figured out by the score and what I just said, I found 50/50 to be one of the most heart wrenching honest films of the year as it tackled so many themes and issues while infusing the film with a lot of crude yet hilarious comedy.
The fact that the writer went through the same experience definitely helped make the film the way it is but the director clearly understood the delicacy it took to walk the line between drama and comedy. The comedy was well structured into the script and the scenes so that the emotional beats had time to resonate. In fact 50/50 manages to avoid the problem of most comedies in that its last 30 minutes are the best of the film. It doesn't lose focus at any time in the film, it stays on message thanks to a great script, some skillful direction and a touching lead performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

Not only does Levitt prove himself as a skilled performer but the rest of the cast is perfectly cast. There is only one dud performance in the shape of Bryce Dallas Howard's shrill Rachael. Despite that Anna Kendrick acts as a perfect foil for Levitt as his inexperienced therapist as they both try to give such reserved performances but with so much going on under the surface. As always Anjelica Houston brings life to a character that could have easily been a cliche if undertaken by a lesser actress. Rogen to an extent plays his usual character but that is what is required to relieve some of the tension and lighten the mood.
It's a well put together drama that just so happens to be hilarious at times, with one of the best ending all year. While not as good as Beginners it is pretty close to being the best film of 2011.
axelkochNov 15, 2012
A great dramedy with flawless actors. You see how intense cancer is, but on the other side it makes you feel good. It was too stereotypical and predictable to give it a 10 or a 9, but nevertheless it's a wonderful movie. Go and watch it, it'sA great dramedy with flawless actors. You see how intense cancer is, but on the other side it makes you feel good. It was too stereotypical and predictable to give it a 10 or a 9, but nevertheless it's a wonderful movie. Go and watch it, it's really loveable! Expand
bfoore90May 13, 2017
I've always wondered how you can make a comedy with anything involving cancer and doing it while managing not to make someone angry, as someone whose best friend is currently dealing with cancer I found this movie very funny, emotionallyI've always wondered how you can make a comedy with anything involving cancer and doing it while managing not to make someone angry, as someone whose best friend is currently dealing with cancer I found this movie very funny, emotionally flawless and a truly heartfelt film about hope in the face of something as serious as cancer. Expand
KivaJun 22, 2013
This film was funny and moving at the same. It was intense and I liked all the performances in that film especially Seth Rogen. I can say that this one was great for the cinema as many people laughed and some were crying?? That's all i haveThis film was funny and moving at the same. It was intense and I liked all the performances in that film especially Seth Rogen. I can say that this one was great for the cinema as many people laughed and some were crying?? That's all i have to say. A must watch... Expand
TrilobiteGAug 17, 2015
An insanely effective film in emotion and drama, but it falls a little in comedy. I wish this film did have more laughs, that being said, the overshadow of how effectively this movie created sadness is good enough for me. Really impressive stuff
jimmytancrediDec 31, 2011
I like when it's approached a dramatic theme with a dose of comedy, showing a relaxed and optimistic side without overdoing it and falling in very improbable. It makes rethink how to handle difficult and unexpected problems when you add aI like when it's approached a dramatic theme with a dose of comedy, showing a relaxed and optimistic side without overdoing it and falling in very improbable. It makes rethink how to handle difficult and unexpected problems when you add a little levity.

I don't really like Seth Rogen, but he fulfilled the role of comic relief and to represent the friend who use disappoints at times, but you can count on him. Even with the impression that he was playing himself, was surprised to learn that in reality is Seth's best friend Will Reiser, in whose life the film was based.

It was daring the bar scene in which Adam tries to lure girls saying he has cancer. It's so strange and compelling as to be original, when instead of masking the problem, takes advantage of it as a differentiation and as a point of interest.

Anna Kendrick is highlighted once again playing the role of a more mature for her age, in a more contained than in Up In The Air. She can be annoying and adorable at the same time.

Gladly in the end there wasn't the kiss between the two. The film finished with a taste of expectation, making unnecessary to show the novel is finished, since it was already clear there was involvement between them.

You can not stop commenting on the soundtrack that worked well as a whole. In particular, it was great to hear High and Dry and Yellow Ledbetter.
cabritaFeb 3, 2012
A film that has some funny comedy in it but at some point I couldn't help but to notice how out of place the sexual humour was. The humour of the cancer treatments I felt they worked though. However the film is skillfully made with someA film that has some funny comedy in it but at some point I couldn't help but to notice how out of place the sexual humour was. The humour of the cancer treatments I felt they worked though. However the film is skillfully made with some symbolism and a real empathy for the main character Expand
Knicksfan7Oct 7, 2011
The funniest depressing movie ive ever seen. Seth Rogen, funny as always, Joseph Gordon Levitt, havent seen much of him but he was fantastic. This movie really plays with your emotions, it goes from laugh out loud hilarious right toThe funniest depressing movie ive ever seen. Seth Rogen, funny as always, Joseph Gordon Levitt, havent seen much of him but he was fantastic. This movie really plays with your emotions, it goes from laugh out loud hilarious right to depressing in an instant, but it was good. I kinew it would be a good ending because its a true story based upon the director of this films story. Very good film, give it a try if you like an emotional film thats funny and has a good ending, 8/10 Expand
AkkharJan 31, 2012
Why would anyone hate this movie ? 50/50 is an amazing movie with a remarkable concept. Everything in this movie is an amazing example of life which makes it a great movie.Jonathan Levine's directing was amazing . Will Reiser's writhing wasWhy would anyone hate this movie ? 50/50 is an amazing movie with a remarkable concept. Everything in this movie is an amazing example of life which makes it a great movie.Jonathan Levine's directing was amazing . Will Reiser's writhing was seriously on the top. Joseph undoubtedly did his best work. Seth was exactly the same as he was in his other movies but this time his character was was little bad then other times. Anna was so amazing . She was really good and she played her role in a really cute was which made her perfect . & Although Bryce's character was bad but her acting wasn't at all. She was amazing and Yeah I still like her so much...she was too cute. 50/50 was really enjoyable and Funny and yeah it was the best Com-Drama of 2011. Expand