6.7

1. Aug 12, 2010
    I find it amusing that there are some that try and fling feces at this documentary because it 'vilifies' the Mormon Church. However, upon watching this documentary, they vilified themselves. These are their emails, their records, their audio, their web ads, their television ads. This was a relatively rough and unrefined documentary, but the mechanics aside, it was informative and serves as a sharp wake-up call to all Americans of what bad religion, far too much money, and fanaticism can do to our politics and our freedoms. This is one of the things the Founding Fathers tried to prevent by keeping Church and State separate. It is only through issues like Prop 8 and this documentary that we are forcibly reminded of the need to disentangle the two as was meant to be originally. Expand
  2. Dec 26, 2010
    The message is a worthwhile one, but I'm not sure it needed a feature-length doc to tell it. There are some compelling stories of those affected by the church's actions, but they are muddled by text and figures that get a little tiresome. I was ultimately disappointed, but it is worth seeing, especially for those involved in the cause.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    For sympathetic outsiders, on the other hand, it covers a lot of ground in a short space, not always in the most organized way, but on enough fronts to spark an informed dialogue.
    8 is most coherent as a chilling confirmation of both the mind-warping power of an institution like the Mormon Church and the extent to which politics is, above all, a marketing game.
  3. There’s little of the Church’s perspective in this doc, but you can’t really fault the filmmakers--Mormon leaders refused several overtures to participate. Read more: http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/film/86550/the-mormon-proposition-film-review#ixzz0r2j38wUF