6.2

1. HoraceS.
    Nov 15, 2006
    Boring and tedious. I fast-forwarded during the ludicrous musical numbers after enduring the first few. Deneuve looks like hell. What a relief when it was over.
  2. KalenJ.
    May 1, 2005
    Quite atrocious really. Overacted, and not entertaining enough to make you want to suspend disbelief, which the characters and plot demand. Why do reviewers lower their standards so much, just because a movie has subtitles?
  3. ThomasE.
    Jul 28, 2004
    Really entertaining. The best actors to ever grace the screen together. only the ending is below brilliant.
  4. AndrejP.
    May 24, 2003
    Ozon's witty subversion of classic film conventions and genres, including the '50s Technicolor musical, soap operas and whodunit mysteries - which could have easliy turned out a gaudy mess, but instead is as carefully coordinated as the obviously Dior-inspired costumes - together with the eight women's perfectly pitched and balanced performances, renders this, in my Ozon's witty subversion of classic film conventions and genres, including the '50s Technicolor musical, soap operas and whodunit mysteries - which could have easliy turned out a gaudy mess, but instead is as carefully coordinated as the obviously Dior-inspired costumes - together with the eight women's perfectly pitched and balanced performances, renders this, in my opinion, one of the most original recent movies. It is full of irony and intrigue and has a constantly unfurling, twisting and sometimes shocking plot, with each character featured in an emotional and defining musical interlude. Each secret that is revealed adds another level of paradoxical lunacy and dysfunctionality to the '50s bourgeois artifice that provides the movie's theatrical backdrop. All in all, a lot of fun, one that I'm definitely getting on dvd to own! Expand
  5. AlexisS.
    Feb 23, 2003
    Really, really bad! Could only tolerate 24 minutes--Hollywood Video wouldn't give me my money back and I'm really pissed about it. Boyfriend didn't like it either!
  6. KathyH.
    Oct 15, 2002
    A film that makes you attracted with an enchanting title, mystery genre and such fabulous actresses! In contrast it will make you confronted with a total disappointment. The plot is good but the time to time singings is quite out of tune for the movie! I do not recommand it at all and I wonder how such great actoresses like Cathrine Deneuve have apeared in such a banal movie.

An ebullient toast to grande dames: part homage, part camp, all artifice and a thoroughly entertaining, if light, confection.
    Whatever you call this one-of-a-kind bonbon spiked with wit and malice, it's classic oo-la-la.
  3. The result is weightless entertainment that's both camp and true, a warped adoration of star-quality actresses as amazing creatures who can project the lives of fictional characters as well as the essence of their own fabulous selves.