7.7

1. JackS.
    Mar 23, 2002
    Did the screenwriter even read the book? Perhaps just a one paragraph summary. Nearly every important event of his life is left out, and almost none of the events in the movie are in the book. This might be an entertaining inspirational movie, if they hadn't used John Nash's name and the title of his biography. It's not about him. It is 99% fiction. The real story of his Did the screenwriter even read the book? Perhaps just a one paragraph summary. Nearly every important event of his life is left out, and almost none of the events in the movie are in the book. This might be an entertaining inspirational movie, if they hadn't used John Nash's name and the title of his biography. It's not about him. It is 99% fiction. The real story of his life is much more bizarre and would make a better movie. Crowe really knows how to play the part of a tortured soul, but he did it better in "The Insider". I think he could have done it here with a story actually based on the life of John Forbes Nash, Jr. I hope someone makes a movie or miniseries about the real man. Expand
  2. MarkJ.
    Mar 5, 2005
    Boring, Oscar type movie.
  3. Dec 10, 2012
    Very average film, Crow's performance it's hard to believe, it is definitely a good story but it was a bad selection on the actors, not saying that the ones that appear on the movie are bad actors just think they are not the best for this particular story. Slow in some parts of the movie. If you want to know Nash's biography but you don't want to read you may watch this movie but don'tVery average film, Crow's performance it's hard to believe, it is definitely a good story but it was a bad selection on the actors, not saying that the ones that appear on the movie are bad actors just think they are not the best for this particular story. Slow in some parts of the movie. If you want to know Nash's biography but you don't want to read you may watch this movie but don't expect too much thrilling moments. Expand
  4. Oct 9, 2011
    Through "A Beautiful Mind", neither director Ron Howard or actor Russell Crowe understand what to actually do in this dull film. The lead and tone is tedious and mediocre, with absolutely 0% of plot twists.
  5. RobertH.
    Feb 23, 2002
    Just an okay movie with a great deal of hype. I would not want to see it again. See it if you have nothing better to do.
  6. JamieW.
    Sep 1, 2002
    What I can't believe are the people who have slated this movie. Sure its Holywood, but then its an attempt at demystify Schizophrenia. As I am myself diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia I think this film does nothing but good. As to Stephanie.H's statement about the love of a good woman...my wife has been a tower of strength to me during my recovery.
  7. ArianaM.
    Aug 24, 2002
    Having seen all but one of the Best Picture nominees, I can very safely say, this is one of the last movies out of those that deserved to win. This was pure Hollywood at its most digestible. Whether or not one believes the circulated rumours that the movie left out the nastier details of Nash's life one still has the nagging feeling throught that one is being spoonfed baby food. The Having seen all but one of the Best Picture nominees, I can very safely say, this is one of the last movies out of those that deserved to win. This was pure Hollywood at its most digestible. Whether or not one believes the circulated rumours that the movie left out the nastier details of Nash's life one still has the nagging feeling throught that one is being spoonfed baby food. The film is contrived in every way, as if Ron Howard sat back and said, "Now what will it take to win the Oscar," and then mapped out the film. Look, if we want to be honest, there's nothing -wrong- with a crowd pleaser. And that is what this film, like Gladiator, like Titanic, and numerous other Oscar winners, sets out to do. It's less a piece of art than pop culture, the current in thing to fit the public's current mood. So, though one might be entertained, those of us who believe movies should be more than just entertainment are left with a nagging, empty feeling after watching it, that is hard to explain. After all, a movie that is calculated to please, should please everyone, shouldn't it? I guess not after all. I won't comment on Russel Crowe's performance. I've seen better, I've seen worse. I will comment on Jennifer Connelly's, which I thought was awful. I can't to save my life understand why so many people, including the Oscar voters, were so blown away. She seems best skilled at just standing there and trying to look pretty and confounded, eyes sparkling. Yaaaaawwwn. She's not acting in this movie, she's modeling. The occassional sudden burst of emotion seems contrived. Eyuck. Expand
  8. Richard
    Jul 15, 2002
    Crowe's mannered but obviously heartfelt performance is almost upstaged by Paul Bettany's natural charisma. Somewhere in the last 20 minutes the film takes a turn for the obvious, and too bad because it was fascinating for a bit.
  9. AustinR.
    Aug 9, 2004
    Crowe's full frontal nudity was ace! otherwise booooring!
  10. JerryM.
    Dec 1, 2006
    Oh, please. People are rating this movie a 10, placing it in the company of the Godfather, Citizen Kane etc? Formulaic but intriguing.
  11. Mar 24, 2013
    Slow and steady does not win this race depicting the troubles of John Nash's struggles with schizophrenia while working hard on his scientific work
  12. Jan 24, 2015
    The 2nd act is horribly paced. It felt like most boring and linear film I'd ever seen. The ending is a bit of a saver. Strong performance from Russell Crowe and Ron Howard directs well for the most part but at the end of the film, I was most glad that I was able to finish the film without dozing off.

1. Howard, and the screenwriter, Akiva Goldsman, have used the book as nothing more than their jumping-off point for an erratic work of fiction that's part mystery thriller and part Hollywood schmaltz.
  2. Instead of an originally conceived movie that reflects Nash's troubled but brilliant mind, we have one of those formulaically rendered Important Subject movies -- the kind that seem exclusively designed for Best Picture nominations.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    As Nash gets closer to Crowe's own age (and level of dissipation), the performance settles down and becomes first credible and then overwhelming. This is a stupendous piece of acting.