7.9

1. Sep 29, 2011
    "A Bug's Life" is a well-animated movie that rounds up to a good morale; screw the dictators. I personally enjoyed one of Pixar's early masterpieces.
  2. Apr 7, 2011
    Excellent movie by Pixar that introduced many children to Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," in an animated, yet brilliant way. Amazing cast of voice actors as well!
  3. Jan 13, 2011
    The movie seeks to arouse appreciation, compassion and respect for the bug world. It makes them sympathetic by actually first making fun of them using social stereotypes that are also applicable to humans. Among them: ants losing it when something unexpected falls in their way; flies being hedonists enjoying their short 24-hour life; and pleasure becoming self-destruction when a bugThe movie seeks to arouse appreciation, compassion and respect for the bug world. It makes them sympathetic by actually first making fun of them using social stereotypes that are also applicable to humans. Among them: ants losing it when something unexpected falls in their way; flies being hedonists enjoying their short 24-hour life; and pleasure becoming self-destruction when a bug cannot resist flying into the beautiful, to die for light of a bug zapper. Politically, the A Bug's Life criticizes feudalism (the oppression of peasants by the nobility), and advertises for progress and change from being narrow-minded conservatives advancing to a liberation movement. The guys from Pixar put much love into this one and made it a cute and fun movie. Expand
  4. Jan 6, 2012
    A Bug's Life is Pixar's second-worst film to date, which is quite a victory for Pixar considering I'm awarding it an 8/10. It just isn't quite as much of an instant classic as the other films made by Pixar are due to it not being quite as memorable. It is very good still, funny, well acted, well written and perfectly executed like all other of Pixar's films. I don't really know why I'dA Bug's Life is Pixar's second-worst film to date, which is quite a victory for Pixar considering I'm awarding it an 8/10. It just isn't quite as much of an instant classic as the other films made by Pixar are due to it not being quite as memorable. It is very good still, funny, well acted, well written and perfectly executed like all other of Pixar's films. I don't really know why I'd give it an 8, it just doesn't seem quite as good as other Pixar films. I recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a very good animated family film, as the story is relatively friendly to all ages and can produce laughs for people of pretty much any age, enjoy. Expand
  5. Oct 19, 2014
    The story of an ant named Flik who is searching for a way to save his colony from the evil grasshoppers, so he travels a long way to find out if anyone can save them.
  6. Joe
    Jun 12, 2010
    Let's see. The folks who rated this movie low can't even spell "decent" or "disappoint" correctly. A great film with great animation, voice acting, and some really funny moments.
  7. PhillipT.
    Aug 18, 2006
    This film fales as a childrens strory and dissapoints adults as a sweet comedy. It comes together as a hardly descent picture with bad acting and an annoying plot.
  8. LordF.
    Aug 18, 2006
    a film nothing more than descent and somewhat annoying. forgettable and quite terrible at times
  9. JackC
    Apr 17, 2010
    One of my favorite movies when I was a kid!
  10. NicholasD
    Jul 15, 2009
    Great.
  11. NicholasD
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great.
  12. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    I honestly don't get why this movie didn't get as good reviews as the other Pixars. In my opinion this is a fantastic movie. Maybe not as great as Toy Story, but definitely something worth watching again and again.
  13. JackB.
    Aug 23, 2007
    Excellent movie.
  14. KittyC.
    Jul 24, 2004
    A highly imaginative and enjoyable movie which will entertain adults as well as children, with a charming cast of characters, a good plot and good gags.
  15. viktorg.
    Nov 30, 2009
    It´s for me the best of the pixar´s movies! It´s very funny and witty!!!
  16. Oct 4, 2010
    One of Pixar's earliest films, 'A Bug's Life' is certainly not among the studio's best, and yet it is still a fantastic achievement. It is Pixar, of course the animation is superb and the story, as well as being funny and entertaining, also carries messages such as acceptance and honesty. Like 'Toy Story', the writers have also created a whole bunch of fun and memorable characters, fromOne of Pixar's earliest films, 'A Bug's Life' is certainly not among the studio's best, and yet it is still a fantastic achievement. It is Pixar, of course the animation is superb and the story, as well as being funny and entertaining, also carries messages such as acceptance and honesty. Like 'Toy Story', the writers have also created a whole bunch of fun and memorable characters, from the gluttonous German caterpillar Heimlich, to the proud and proper praying mantis, Manny. The story has a similar start to many other films, featuring the 'nut' in the colony who doesn't fit in with everyone else, but it grows into an original and adventurous film, thanks to the fact that the story is in a 'bug world', giving the writers the opportunity to open the door to imagination and create exciting scenarios and conflicts that the characters encounter. I found 'A Bug's Life' highly enjoyable, a great family film by the always brilliant Pixar. Expand
  17. Oct 31, 2010
    its my least favorite Pixar movie, but still its great!
  18. Feb 9, 2011
    Yes the plot is a complete rip-off of seven samurai, and for that it loses a mark. HOWEVER with animation this beautiful, characters this interesting, and voicework this good, it's hard not to like. Pixar are widely considered the greatest family film makers, and this is why.
  19. Apr 24, 2011
    Not as good as some of the other great Pixar movies but it's still a well done movie.
  20. Jul 16, 2011
    The second Pixar Movie. Although Pixar are the best in the business, there is unfortunately no way you could give this movie a full commendation. Nevertheless, it is still a great piece of art by John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton.

I do admit it is a major disappointment after Toy Story. Still, it is an underrated movie. A Bug's Life is not a classics, but sure is a good piece of Pixar Genius.

A Bug's Life is one of those movies that do grab on to your skull in the mental sense. It's a joy ride really. One minute it's intense, the next it's died down and all sorts of plot notation is being thrown at you. The plot itself is simple and understandable, but at the same time, so well planned in script and structure. The only element in this movie that seems to have more effort than Toy Story was. The Characters are unique in the production sense of the word. The Animation is amazing and shows us really what Pixar was capable of back in the days where animated movies were pioneering. Overall, Not as good as Toy Story, but in the end, A Bug's Life is something special.
  21. Aug 9, 2011
    Disney Classic , What more can you say ? It had funny moments , And very good animation. Ide reccomend anyone to sit down with the family and watch this movie
  22. Aug 11, 2011
    It's light and entertaining with some classic, stand-out moments but this movie is nothing in comparison to what Pixar would eventually come out with.
  23. Oct 3, 2011
    My god, I do not know what to say about this movie. It was a long time ago, but from what I remember is a movie that is even quite humorous. (Part Two) I've seen the film again, and in fact is a film that pulls a lot of attention for the animation involved. Undoubtedly well done, although for children.
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    It is one of Pixar's most adventurous films. Flik the ant leaves his colony when he looks for tough bugs to help stop the ongoing struggle for the ants and stand up to the grasshoppers.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    Excellent movie, heart-warming themes of friendship, courage and self-sacrifice. It portrays a fantastic moral and subtle life lessons that children need to become aware of. However, I didn't feel like it was Pixar at its best. Still, it's a great movie, above average than all other movies.
  26. Jan 16, 2012
    Although not so hot on the original level and it can be boring. The film is clever, heartfelt and offers some memorable characters and along with great animation you've got a successful film. I give this movie 76%.
  27. Mar 30, 2012
    A bugs life is an excellent movie not only for kids but for the whole family. Love every minute of it with an amazing cast of voice actors. Brillant crafted. with very good animation.
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    Magnificently funny comedy and voice acting work, majestically spellbinding animation and a uniquely impressive story make "A Bug's Life" a gleaming addition to Pixar's repertoire.
  29. Dec 10, 2012
    Honestly, average animation, the only original part of the movie it's that it is based in ants, not that animated ants didn't exist before this movie. But it's a perfect choice for children 2-5 to watch.
  30. Mar 11, 2013
    As Toy Story and this Pixar movie is great!!!!! Interesting, fun, great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  31. Jul 4, 2013
    "A Bug's Life" holds a powerful message, and does it quite well, but maybe doesn't hold the highest level of storytelling. Still, with great visuals, puns, laughs, and detailed characters, "A Bug's Life" is able to score.
  32. Aug 3, 2013
    A great movie all together with its clever humor themed to insects, amusing bloopers in the credits and the suspense in dramatic scenes when it hits their mark. A Pixar masterpiece!
  33. Oct 31, 2013
    i don't know why people hate too much this film,it's a great movie and it have a lot of good and interesting characters wich i grow up seeing then and i enjoyed a lot.
  34. Nov 12, 2013
    An intricate and thought-out tale of adventure, isolation, and self-loathing. Great voice acting and great dialogue coupled with spectacular animation. 'A Bug's Life' sat in my VHS box for years after I saw it once as a toddler, but then I took another look and I loved it, I mean we still have a VHS. It's amazing, my parents always seemed to be irritated by it, I suspect my brotherAn intricate and thought-out tale of adventure, isolation, and self-loathing. Great voice acting and great dialogue coupled with spectacular animation. 'A Bug's Life' sat in my VHS box for years after I saw it once as a toddler, but then I took another look and I loved it, I mean we still have a VHS. It's amazing, my parents always seemed to be irritated by it, I suspect my brother watched it to the point of insanity, in my parent's case. Expand
  35. Nov 13, 2013
    A Bug's Life is a far cry from being Disney Pixar's best movie but it is still funny and intelligent enough to provide an hour and half of solid entertainment for children and adults alike.
  36. Mar 1, 2014
    It was nice, and leaves a message fellowship and faith in oneself, but the problem I found was that the plot fell many times, that is, I did not like the characters out of their role, if they do not understand me , return to it again and carefully observe the protagonists. But this movie was my favorite and perhaps stay there forever.
  37. Mar 6, 2014
    A Bug's Life doesn't fail at story or animation: it's actually quite proficient in those areas. But the story, characters, and dialogue fall flat more than not.
  38. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie is pure genius. It shows how if people stand together they can stand up to bullies or anyone standing in there way. It shows that strength is in numbers and brains. It's so sweet and the characters are so colourful as Pixar's always are!
  39. Sep 1, 2014
    A Bug's Life is an often forgotten Disney masterpiece from the 1990s. The story is a special one--and certainly more perfected than Antz, also released in 1998. The film is both charming and well-rounded.
  40. Oct 13, 2014
    This is definitely one their lesser films and isn't nearly as memorable as the others, which isn't to say that it's bad. It's a good movie, quite clever and full of heart, some of the side characters are pretty funny. Unfortunately the story isn't it's strong part. Despite this being one of Pixar's weaker films, I will say it's passable
  41. Feb 7, 2015
    A Bug's Life is another Pixar gem. Computer animation was the perfect way to capture the world of insects and this movie is just as relevant now as it ever was. A Bug's Life can still be enjoyed by today's children. I know I spent a lot of afternoons watching this film. I never noticed until years later how great the cast of voices were for this movie which was headlined by Kevin SpaceyA Bug's Life is another Pixar gem. Computer animation was the perfect way to capture the world of insects and this movie is just as relevant now as it ever was. A Bug's Life can still be enjoyed by today's children. I know I spent a lot of afternoons watching this film. I never noticed until years later how great the cast of voices were for this movie which was headlined by Kevin Spacey and Julia Louis Dreyfus. Expand
  42. Mar 28, 2015
    It may not be the best Pixar film out there, without the feel-good story that most of the films in the Disney/Pixar universe have, but "A Bug's Life" is a real treat visually and character-wise.
  43. Apr 6, 2015
    a bug life Is not as good as toy story but it's pretty good. bug's life has the lair lair chicle and does not suck. a bug life is a good movie for kids and adults.
  44. Apr 13, 2015
    9/10 .................................................................................…………............................................................
  45. Apr 21, 2015
    When his ant colony comes under attack from evil grasshoppers, idealistic young Flick sets off to recruit animals who will help defend their honour and lives. He happens upon a disgraced circus troupe who readily agree, with neither party fully aware of what they're getting themselves into...

So one day while browsing through Sky movie channels my wife out of nowhere perked up saying she had only seen part of A Bug's Life so that was the obvious choice and the rest is history. Well, not quite. I saw this movie so many times as a kid that it's ingrained into my skull. I couldn't remember much about the plot, but as soon as it started I was flooded with visuals, characters, jokes, and even emotions it gave me. It's always nice to revisit a blast from the past.

After the flood of memories subsided and I drifted back into reality, the first thing I noticed was the animation. By today's standards it actually looks quite dated, as bizarre as that sounds. You can tell how far computer animation has come over the years. Look at movies like Brave, Rango and How to Train Your Dragon which are bursting with a crisp and sharp attention to detail. You can see every individual blade of grass, every strand of hair, and every reptilian scale. It's easy to forget where it all started. Toy Story was of course the first to make success of it and look great in the process. It's has quickly eased in amongst the classics. A Bug's Life was Pixar's follow-up and so it follows much of animation clunkines that was unavoidable at the time, and yet it certainly developed it. Every Pixar movie developed computer animation just that little bit further and A Bug's Life innovation comes in the way of crowds. It's a movie about ants, so naturally there's going to be a lot of individual bodies to consider. It's not as stark an innovation as Sully's hair in Monster's Inc., but it's definitely worthy of note when you see a vast expanse of ants all brimming with individual character (ironically enough).

The general concept though is nearing genius, unsurprisingly for Pixar. The down-and-out group are ants, so everything is brought to their level. The rival gang are the much larger Grasshoppers which look suitably gnarly. The protagonist we're offered is a clumsy yet ambitious ant who has a slew of genius ideas and inventions, including a telescope made out of a roll of grass and a ball of dew. There are other little touches here and there, like a leaf folded into a cap, cans and barrels standing as bars and nightclubs, various wings sounding more like motorbikes or helicopters, and how brutal rain can be when you're that small. It also opens itself up to various jokes by poking fun at them. The opening scene pokes fun at ants following set trails hilariously, and there's one quote that has stuck with me for all these years - "No Harry! Don't go towards the light! - I can't help it...it's so beautiful...BZZZT"

It's not all airy fairy though. It does genuinely reach some horrifying places at times. Hopper is one of the scariest villains Pixar have ever put out, in no small part to Kevin Spacey's fantastic voice acting. It's such a dominating and threatening presence even without the animated grasshopper body. There's a fantastic scene where he answers why they must go back to the anthill that is sure to have you laughing nervously. You find it funny, but you're quivering in your boots too much to really let your amusement rip. The grasshopper's final arrival is literally shrouded in mist, making it all the more sinister and foreboding, and it's accompanied by some quite dark threats. The horror that always stuck with me as a kid though was Hopper's demise. You don't see anything obviously, but my imagination filled in the gaps and it was distressing, even if he was evil and scary.

It's a worthy addition to the Pixar library, especially considering it was their follow-up to the massive Toy Story. It had cutting-edge animation for it's time, although there's no denying that it's simplicity and clunkiness hasn't aged it well. In true Pixar fashion in manages to be very funny, hugely entertaining, and contain copious amounts of heart (maybe a bit too much?), while not being afraid to scare and disturb. I give A Bug's Life a good 7/10.
  46. Apr 24, 2015
    It's almost a shame that A Bug's Life is debuting so close in the wake of Antz (although, to be fair, the latter film was the first to enter production). No matter when the Pixar/Disney production reached theaters, comparisons between the two computer-animated insect movies would be inevitable, but, with only seven weeks separating their openings, those comparisons will be more intense.It's almost a shame that A Bug's Life is debuting so close in the wake of Antz (although, to be fair, the latter film was the first to enter production). No matter when the Pixar/Disney production reached theaters, comparisons between the two computer-animated insect movies would be inevitable, but, with only seven weeks separating their openings, those comparisons will be more intense. Fortunately, A Bug's Life can withstand the scrutiny. Despite a number of similarities to Antz, there are enough variations in plot and tone to warrant another visit to the unique and wondrous world existing beneath the blades of grass.

In a head-to-head comparison, it's easy to make an argument for either Antz or A Bug's Life as the best entry in almost every category that the two share. Antz contains somewhat more mature content; A Bug's Life is designed a little more with kids in mind. However, as is true of Antz, the story presented in A Bug's Life works well on two levels. Children will appreciate the likable characters and fast-paced adventure; adults will marvel at the skillful animation and subtle humor. For "star power," Antz undeniably comes out on top, with instantly-recognizable names like Woody Allen, Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone, and Gene Hackman (as opposed to David Foley, Denis Leary, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Kevin Spacey). But it's important to note that immediate voice recognition doesn't necessarily add anything to a performance (although, admittedly, it's fun to hear the banter between Allen and Stallone). The vocal acting in A Bug's Life is no less accomplished or effective than that in Antz. Visually, the films are both brilliantly detailed and wonderfully textured. A Bug's Life gives new dimensions to the diminutive world - a place where raindrops are dangerous projectiles, single berries provide full meals, and the most feared enemy is a bird. And, while most of Antz relies on earthy tones, A Bug's Life explodes with a cacophony of color. Of the three computer-animated feature length films to reach the screen thus far, this is the most dazzling.

One thing A Bug's Life has that Antz does not is a ingenious series of end credits. Instead of just the latest lame Randy Newman song warbling over scrolling names, we are presented with a collection of mocked-up outtakes that parody the kinds of flubs and goofs which have come to decorate the credits of numerous comedies. It's brilliant in both conception and execution, and one could make a solid case that the last three minutes of A Bug's Life are its best. I wouldn't go that far, but this is definitely a movie when it's a good idea not to run for the exit as soon as the story ends.

Pixar is the studio that first brought a full-length computer-generated feature to the screen with 1995's Toy Story, and, by adding A Bug's Life to their resume, they have established themselves as a force to be reckoned with not only in the realm of animated films, but in that of family entertainment in general. (Disney must be delighted to be in partnership with them.) Co-directors John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton understand that every story, even one with such an intense focus on visual elements, begins with a script and characters. A Bug's Life, like Toy Story, develops protagonists we can root for, and places them in the midst of a fast-moving, energetic adventure. And, while Antz and A Bug's Life each work well enough on their own, they are best when seen in concert, if only to compare and contrast the fine craft evident in such top-notch examples of family entertainment.

The story, about an ant colony that frees itself from slavery to grasshoppers, is similar in some ways to the autumn's other big animated release, "Antz," but it's aimed at a broader audience and lacks the in-jokes.
  2. The story is amusing and the animation is first-rate, but there's less sparkling originality than in "Toy Story."
  3. Reviewed by: Michael Sragow
    Lasseter and Stanton and the rest of the animators and gagsmiths use the computer with staggering imaginative freedom.