A Day Without a Mexican

4.4

1. SteveB.
    May 24, 2004
    Funny premise, but hacked to pieces early on, shifted too quickly from funny to entirely too many emotions in the movie. specially hated the "my heart is mexican" crying bit.
  2. KerryleeE.
    Sep 25, 2004
    I gave this movie a 5. 5 for the message and 0 for presentation. The movie has a vital social message that responds to California anti-Latino legislation like Proposition 87. But, the presentation style has virtually no appeal. I waited for a turning point in the movie where the director changed the delivery tone from flukey satire to poignantly seriousness. The director really missed the I gave this movie a 5. 5 for the message and 0 for presentation. The movie has a vital social message that responds to California anti-Latino legislation like Proposition 87. But, the presentation style has virtually no appeal. I waited for a turning point in the movie where the director changed the delivery tone from flukey satire to poignantly seriousness. The director really missed the chance to get his/her audience on board with the message. Too Bad. Expand

A terrific premise is mangled to a pulp, then beaten to death in this forced mockumentary.
    Much of the humor is overly familiar, and the broader elements feel strained when it veers toward melodrama in its final third.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Darkly amusing idea delivers an early salvo that fades as the film swings across a range of styles and tones director Sergio Arau gamely tries to corral. Even at its half-realized level, pic will anger some as it amuses others.