7.3

1. Nov 23, 2014
    That it's the first Iranian vampire film is really the only thing going for it when compared to other vampire flicks. It's kind of art-house (meaning dull and slow), although it has a few decent parts. It never really picks up any sort of pace, and the slow, meandering script lacks any real emotional centre.

I have the feeling that if it wasn't the first Iranian vampire film, the

I have the feeling that if it wasn't the first Iranian vampire film, the critics wouldn't be so smitten with it.
  2. Jan 4, 2015
    After a pretty sensational opening 20 minutes, A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT becomes a classic case of style over substance. And sadly, the style is nothing new. But those first 20 minutes show real talent and an ability to appropriate a culture while simultaneously criticizing and celebrating it. In this case, the appropriated culture is American pop culture in Iran. Sadly, the filmAfter a pretty sensational opening 20 minutes, A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT becomes a classic case of style over substance. And sadly, the style is nothing new. But those first 20 minutes show real talent and an ability to appropriate a culture while simultaneously criticizing and celebrating it. In this case, the appropriated culture is American pop culture in Iran. Sadly, the film doesn't hang on and eventually loses its way. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2015
    This movie has a lot of really great moments to it--I loved all the scenes with the two protagonists, for instance, and a lot of others. When they meet for the second time, he's dressed as Dracula and coming from a party and he tells her not to be afraid of him--not realizing, of course, that she's the real vampire, which is a hilarious bit of dramatic irony for us watching. However,This movie has a lot of really great moments to it--I loved all the scenes with the two protagonists, for instance, and a lot of others. When they meet for the second time, he's dressed as Dracula and coming from a party and he tells her not to be afraid of him--not realizing, of course, that she's the real vampire, which is a hilarious bit of dramatic irony for us watching. However, there were a lot of very long musical interludes with abstract shots which were beautiful, but (for me at least) slowed down the film and the story I was interested in. Still, the central story and the main characters were incredibly compelling, and in my opinion, the movie ends perfectly, so it's worth the wait to get there. Expand
  4. Mar 9, 2015
    "Cool" in the way cool used to be used when it was a vibe and a look rather than an endorsement.
    Superbly shot with an excellent use of soundtrack. Reminiscent of the languid stylings of Jarmusch but with the fun self-awareness of Tarantino and curatorial taste. As if Raymond Pettibon's cover art for Sonic Youth's Goo came to life as an Iranian Vampire flick.
  5. Nov 22, 2014
    I love watching movies that feel like discoveries and revelations of vital new talent. This movie is smart, fun, slick, provocative, and kind of beautiful.
  6. Nov 28, 2014
    The movie certainly looks cool, and the lead actress has amazing presence, but it's slow as molasses, which is a problem for a motion picture. I can't imagine who the target audience for this film is. Definitely not horror fans. I can see where it would be cathartic for a Persian woman living in Iran or another country in the middle east which is not so progressive when it comes to women'sThe movie certainly looks cool, and the lead actress has amazing presence, but it's slow as molasses, which is a problem for a motion picture. I can't imagine who the target audience for this film is. Definitely not horror fans. I can see where it would be cathartic for a Persian woman living in Iran or another country in the middle east which is not so progressive when it comes to women's rights. I just wish the writer/director would have taken the story a bit further. Expand
  7. May 24, 2015
    The horror and romance genres have always blended together awkwardly in my opinion. Especially when vampires are involved. That isn't the case here. In it's defense though it isn't entirely a horror movie. It is more of a story about being trapped in a bad area where the only way to get anywhere is to leave, and that's easier said than done. All of that is mixed in with plenty of weirdnessThe horror and romance genres have always blended together awkwardly in my opinion. Especially when vampires are involved. That isn't the case here. In it's defense though it isn't entirely a horror movie. It is more of a story about being trapped in a bad area where the only way to get anywhere is to leave, and that's easier said than done. All of that is mixed in with plenty of weirdness to create one the best vampire films in years.

The while film is in black and white giving it the feel of those old school horror movies of the 30's and 40's. The actual scares are light. Sheila Vand certainly can be creepy as the vampire, it's amazing what a dark cloak and pale face can do to make one look unnerving, but the movie isn't scary at all. Only a few moments of actual vampirism take place. The movie is more about telling a story than instilling fear.

Despite that it's still an amazing film. There is an originality here that few other horror films, romance or otherwise, have had in recent years. It's also an needed shot of cool back into the vampire genre. It's no secret that those iconic horror movie monsters had lost their bite long ago. This movie does a lot to help give it back. The creativity and weirdness of it all is strangely exciting. Provided you can put up with the rather slow pace I think you'll find a lot to love here.
  8. May 12, 2015
    I agree with LowbrowCinema in that this film is a classic case of style over substance. The cinematography is gorgeous, but the plot leaves little to be desired. It does a good job establishing a tone of creepiness and melancholy, but, alas, atmosphere alone is rarely enough to sustain a feature film for the entire running time.
  9. May 6, 2015
    No matter where you were born at, if you're born female, you're in deep trouble....female power to the people ! :)....the scene where vampire mimics the moves of the junkie is one of the best in cinematography, a true masterpiece that chills your spine without a drop of blood being spilled....watch and learn all of you Saw, Asylum, Hostel and other directors....

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    May 19, 2015
    By turns funny, vaguely creepy and too cool for school, A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night is certainly unusual — but also seductive and strange enough to stick in the memory like a fever dream.
  2. Reviewed by: Simon Kinnear
    May 19, 2015
    Equally cool and cruel, stuffed with subtext, this ‘Iranian fairytale’ weaves its spell to a flip, hip ending. Amirpour is one to watch.
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Savlov
    Apr 8, 2015
    It’s a spooky, moody doozy of a debut, lensed by Director of Photography Lyle Vincent in a radiant monochrome that somehow makes even the darkness sparkle.