6.5

1. Nov 22, 2014
    I love watching movies that feel like discoveries and revelations of vital new talent. This movie is smart, fun, slick, provocative, and kind of beautiful.
  2. Nov 28, 2014
    The movie certainly looks cool, and the lead actress has amazing presence, but it's slow as molasses, which is a problem for a motion picture. I can't imagine who the target audience for this film is. Definitely not horror fans. I can see where it would be cathartic for a Persian woman living in Iran or another country in the middle east which is not so progressive when it comes to women'sThe movie certainly looks cool, and the lead actress has amazing presence, but it's slow as molasses, which is a problem for a motion picture. I can't imagine who the target audience for this film is. Definitely not horror fans. I can see where it would be cathartic for a Persian woman living in Iran or another country in the middle east which is not so progressive when it comes to women's rights. I just wish the writer/director would have taken the story a bit further. Expand
  3. Nov 23, 2014
    That it's the first Iranian vampire film is really the only thing going for it when compared to other vampire flicks. It's kind of art-house (meaning dull and slow), although it has a few decent parts. It never really picks up any sort of pace, and the slow, meandering script lacks any real emotional centre.

I have the feeling that if it wasn't the first Iranian vampire film, the

I have the feeling that if it wasn't the first Iranian vampire film, the critics wouldn't be so smitten with it.
  4. Jan 4, 2015
    After a pretty sensational opening 20 minutes, A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT becomes a classic case of style over substance. And sadly, the style is nothing new. But those first 20 minutes show real talent and an ability to appropriate a culture while simultaneously criticizing and celebrating it. In this case, the appropriated culture is American pop culture in Iran. Sadly, the filmAfter a pretty sensational opening 20 minutes, A GIRL WALKS HOME ALONE AT NIGHT becomes a classic case of style over substance. And sadly, the style is nothing new. But those first 20 minutes show real talent and an ability to appropriate a culture while simultaneously criticizing and celebrating it. In this case, the appropriated culture is American pop culture in Iran. Sadly, the film doesn't hang on and eventually loses its way. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kiva Reardon
    Jan 22, 2015
    A refreshing take on vampire lore.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Jan 22, 2015
    A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is a terrific film, if you give yourself to it. You should, because, with Amirpour's blending of influences and pop culture, she has created a true original.
  3. Reviewed by: Michael O'Sullivan
    Jan 8, 2015
    It’s a haunting story of love between two misfits who shouldn’t be together. In its doomed yet somehow hopeful spirit, it’s closer to the noir sensibility of “Let the Right One In” than the pop-horror of “Twilight.”