6.9

1. Nov 22, 2014
    I love watching movies that feel like discoveries and revelations of vital new talent. This movie is smart, fun, slick, provocative, and kind of beautiful.
  2. Nov 28, 2014
    The movie certainly looks cool, and the lead actress has amazing presence, but it's slow as molasses, which is a problem for a motion picture. I can't imagine who the target audience for this film is. Definitely not horror fans. I can see where it would be cathartic for a Persian woman living in Iran or another country in the middle east which is not so progressive when it comes to women'sThe movie certainly looks cool, and the lead actress has amazing presence, but it's slow as molasses, which is a problem for a motion picture. I can't imagine who the target audience for this film is. Definitely not horror fans. I can see where it would be cathartic for a Persian woman living in Iran or another country in the middle east which is not so progressive when it comes to women's rights. I just wish the writer/director would have taken the story a bit further. Expand
  3. Nov 23, 2014
    That it's the first Iranian vampire film is really the only thing going for it when compared to other vampire flicks. It's kind of art-house (meaning dull and slow), although it has a few decent parts. It never really picks up any sort of pace, and the slow, meandering script lacks any real emotional centre.

I have the feeling that if it wasn't the first Iranian vampire film, the

I have the feeling that if it wasn't the first Iranian vampire film, the critics wouldn't be so smitten with it.

1. Reviewed by: David Lewis
    Dec 4, 2014
    It’s entertaining and provides the tired vampire genre with a welcome infusion of fresh blood.
  2. Reviewed by: Bilge Ebiri
    Nov 24, 2014
    It’s wonderfully inventive filmmaking: Amirpour’s striking compositions borrow from the iconography of both the Western and the horror film — wide, evocative vistas are intercut with dark, tense city streets where shadowy figures follow one another.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Nashawaty
    Nov 24, 2014
    Shot in inky black and white, Ana Lily Amirpour's fractured Farsi fright flick has a spooky, otherworldly quality. It's like an early Jim Jarmusch indie set in Little Tehran at 4 a.m.