4.7

1. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why did McClain SR keep on saying he is on vacation?. Worst one liner ever! He was not on vacation he was there to find his son who was supposedly facing live in prison with harry dudes or worse yet the death chamber. If that is a vacation I have some Carnival Cruise tickets I could give him. This movie blows with its feeble attempt to pass on the torch to Jr, and its horrible set pieces. I mean how many times are they going to show the front of the Chernobyl plant with the construction scooper backing up and pulling forward but never actually doing anything. The son falls into a swimming pool under an enclosed roof that has been abandoned for 35 years and guess what, its full of water.. Rain water my ass!!!! This movie is about the quality of the last Indiana Jones film and should bring the franchise to a close with a whimper. Expand
  2. Feb 17, 2013
    Unfortunately worse than it's prequel, this iteration of the Die Hard series just serves to show how far the series has fallen. Courtney was a surprise, in not being as bad as expected, but the rest of the movie was nonsensical to the extreme and badly acted. The story was passable at best (save perhaps for a twist round the middle of the movie, which is disappointingly resolved) and theUnfortunately worse than it's prequel, this iteration of the Die Hard series just serves to show how far the series has fallen. Courtney was a surprise, in not being as bad as expected, but the rest of the movie was nonsensical to the extreme and badly acted. The story was passable at best (save perhaps for a twist round the middle of the movie, which is disappointingly resolved) and the action pieces were over-the-top when they should have been subtle and slow when they should have been over-the-top. All-in-all, I felt like I would have felt better about the franchise not having seen this last entry. Expand
  3. Feb 17, 2013
    I mean: It's still a Die Hard wih mindblowing action and still Bruce Willis, contributing a reasonable performance, but the quality of the film can't satisfy the high expectations of all the fans of the franchise. It is half an hour shorter, much more explosive and senseless than all the other Die Hards. There are no motifs, no emotions or any kind of coolness in there. And the worstI mean: It's still a Die Hard wih mindblowing action and still Bruce Willis, contributing a reasonable performance, but the quality of the film can't satisfy the high expectations of all the fans of the franchise. It is half an hour shorter, much more explosive and senseless than all the other Die Hards. There are no motifs, no emotions or any kind of coolness in there. And the worst thing: it isn't a Bruce-Willis-Show as a Die Hard has to be but a soft Lethal Weapon like collaboration between John and his son Jack, which just makes it feel wrong. Expand
  4. Feb 17, 2013
    Random and wholly unbelievable action sequences strung together by one-liners and a completely out of place father and son story makes for a babbling and incoherent mess. We should take sharp objects and decision making power away from people who like this movie. I'm not sure how this movie was top of the box office, our theater was nearly empty and in talking to the theater manager theRandom and wholly unbelievable action sequences strung together by one-liners and a completely out of place father and son story makes for a babbling and incoherent mess. We should take sharp objects and decision making power away from people who like this movie. I'm not sure how this movie was top of the box office, our theater was nearly empty and in talking to the theater manager the ticket sales were real low. There is a reason this movie was released in February and not the summer. Mainly that it stunk. Expand
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    It is pretty much what I expected: nonsensical action with a terrible plot. At least the original two actually made sense, this is nothing more than a cash in. Shame on you Bruce Willis.
  6. Feb 17, 2013
    If you are a die hard fan, you will like this movie. It may not be better than the last one, but it is still fun to watch, with all of the action and humorous dialouge. If you are not a fan, you might find it a bit cliche or corny, but it still is a decent action film.
  7. Feb 17, 2013
    Painfully boring and dull, annoying characters, cheese EVERYWHERE. Absolutely terrible plot, and absolute crap villain. Even the actors look like they don't want to be there, especially Willis.... he just drags on and on with terrible dialogue and awful... awful awful awful one-liners, WHAT THE HELL KIND OF LINE IS "I'm on f***ing vacation?. Generally boring, and not worth any money, IPainfully boring and dull, annoying characters, cheese EVERYWHERE. Absolutely terrible plot, and absolute crap villain. Even the actors look like they don't want to be there, especially Willis.... he just drags on and on with terrible dialogue and awful... awful awful awful one-liners, WHAT THE HELL KIND OF LINE IS "I'm on f***ing vacation?. Generally boring, and not worth any money, I won't even watch it if it were on T.V Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2013
    Lots of action, great special effects, good chase sequences. However, the story seemed unrealistic, has kinda boring characters a lot of the dialogue seems forced. Good to watch if gripping action and special effects is what you're seeking.
  9. Feb 16, 2013
    After waiting since last summer to see this movie and then finally seeing it... So very very disappointed. the concept of John McClane fighting bad guys with his son Jack is a great idea Only there was no story to it only explosions and a 20 minute long car chase scene. I believe Die Hard just died hard.
  10. Feb 16, 2013
    Just watched the movie, man it's awesome, why do they hate this movie?, it's fun, entertaining, intresting and has got some amazing special effects.
  11. Feb 16, 2013
    Let's start off by saying that I am not a huge Die Hard fan but I have always enjoyed the movies and there is something about the character of John Mcclane that is just fun to watch. That was my sole expectation. The only thing I was looking forward to, was action sequences mixed with a great sense of humor. I am an avid movie goer and even found a few things to like about Die Hard 4 butLet's start off by saying that I am not a huge Die Hard fan but I have always enjoyed the movies and there is something about the character of John Mcclane that is just fun to watch. That was my sole expectation. The only thing I was looking forward to, was action sequences mixed with a great sense of humor. I am an avid movie goer and even found a few things to like about Die Hard 4 but this installment is simply a very very bad movie.

The first third of the movie is a catastrophe, story-telling wise. The editing is confusing and what was meant to bring out a smile from the audience (dialogue in cab) falls flat big time and left everyone cold.
    The action scene involving a car chase and lots of (LOOOOTS OF) crashes fail to impress because the cinematography leaves much to be desired.

The biggest issue with this movie is, that you never ever care about the action on screen. No one is ever in real peril and everyone is having a fun time,jumping down from buildings and killing lots of dudes. There is nothing inherently wrong with a movie like that but this is Die Hard and Die Hard movies used to be about something, some danger that threatens a building, airport, city etc. There was a threat and Mcclane needed to solve it. That was why we were rooting for him. Before heading to the theater, I read all the negative reviews I thought "doesn't matter, it has action scenes and that is enough for me". Now I know for sure, it definetely isn't enough. It simply isn't worth seeing it on the big screen. Save the money and watch it in a year or two on Netflix, I promise you will not regret it.
  12. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As Die Hard fan, I'm truly disappointed with this installment. I don't care with critics said give this underrated.
    I'm still like Mac Clane with his joke, how his way shooting people and so on. But this movie is too short and the other way the closing scene is too long. Maybe Len Wiseman is not good director, but I'm satisfied with him how he directed DH 4. But John Moore is worst director and fail direct this.
    To many replay scenes: Mercy from highway (DH3), bad guy fall from building (DH 1), make this movie not worth to watch.
    As DH fan I'm very sad with this not good movie and don't know how to score it, because I'm still like Mac Clane.
    Not good Yippee Kai Yay Mother****** anymore.
  13. Feb 16, 2013
    Guys this movie its really good 007 stfu make good critics or gtfo............................................................................................
  14. Feb 16, 2013
    To be completely honest I thought this movie would be awful but it was okay overall. A lot of random explosines and some bull moments, but it had a good story and was well paced but also a little too fast but overall was a okay movie. A Good day to Die Hard 6.4/10
  15. Feb 16, 2013
    well it wasnt the best film in Die Hard franchise. McClane senior had to compete with Junior for audience attention thus he had less dialogues. But that duo gave us adrenaline boosted action sequences which is what we wanted. If only movie was longer than 1,5 h.
  16. Feb 16, 2013
    I think this is how the concept of the movie was developed: "hey guys we need a shoot-em up action movie for some quick cash. Let's just make a ton of guns and explosions, make some nukes and uranium, have bruce willis play a guy from a good movie, and call it Die Hard". No thought was put in the story. In fact, there pretty much was no story. It has nothing to with the other previous andI think this is how the concept of the movie was developed: "hey guys we need a shoot-em up action movie for some quick cash. Let's just make a ton of guns and explosions, make some nukes and uranium, have bruce willis play a guy from a good movie, and call it Die Hard". No thought was put in the story. In fact, there pretty much was no story. It has nothing to with the other previous and decent movies of the same name. However, the action was alright and the movie didn't drag so it is passable. Expand
  17. Feb 16, 2013
    I love the die hard movies. They are usually on the cutting edge of new action movies combined with a classic romanticist age character, but this one fell flat. It did not have a good story that didn't really make sense and people just would die for no reason. It was just... crap.
  18. Feb 16, 2013
    It has the one-liners,guns and action, but it does not feel like die hard to me. Russia as background was pretty boring and father-son comedy was just awkward. No need to watch the film unless you are a true fan of the franchise.
  19. Feb 16, 2013
    Macht der Film Spaß? JA! Ergibt der Film Sinn? NEIN! Dazu kommt, dass man nichts mehr von der “Die Hard”-DNA spürt. John und Jack McClane könnten mühelos durch Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) und seinem Bruder oder einfach irgendwelche anderen Figuren ersetzt werden. Das ist natürlich schade. Wäre dies kein Film der geliebten “Die Hard” Reihe, so würde meine Wertung vermutlich durch dieMacht der Film Spaß? JA! Ergibt der Film Sinn? NEIN! Dazu kommt, dass man nichts mehr von der “Die Hard”-DNA spürt. John und Jack McClane könnten mühelos durch Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) und seinem Bruder oder einfach irgendwelche anderen Figuren ersetzt werden. Das ist natürlich schade. Wäre dies kein Film der geliebten “Die Hard” Reihe, so würde meine Wertung vermutlich durch die Decke gehen. Ich drücke aber beide Augen zu und sehe den Streifen als eine Art “Die Hard 4.5″; eine Zwischenepisode um Jack McClane einzuführen. Dann funktioniert alles prima. Collapse
  20. Feb 15, 2013
    Just trying to assign my 7 rating. Do I have to write a review for that to happen.? Since I'm here, I will comment that its funny, the delta (difference) between the reviewer scores and the "users". With rotten tomato data, the delta is about 60 points or more.
  21. Feb 15, 2013
    Frankly, I feel that many critics are being too harsh. The movie was filled with action: explosions, shooting, car chases, wrecks, heart jumping out of your chest terror and humor. As a woman, I enjoyed every single moment of the film. I passed up the squishy Valentine's Day flicks, and I am ultra girly. I much prefer to see blood and guts action, over a sappy love story any day. I justFrankly, I feel that many critics are being too harsh. The movie was filled with action: explosions, shooting, car chases, wrecks, heart jumping out of your chest terror and humor. As a woman, I enjoyed every single moment of the film. I passed up the squishy Valentine's Day flicks, and I am ultra girly. I much prefer to see blood and guts action, over a sappy love story any day. I just think that maybe Fox made a mistake releasing the film on Valentine's Day. That's it, but hey the film was pretty good, I'm glad to see the entire team back again. BTW, the team did a fantastic job. Expand
  22. Feb 15, 2013
    Far from being the best die hard, yet not a bad action movie. Really liked the movie, worth the 8$ spent on ticket. If you have nothing to do one night, go out with some of your buddies and see this movie, action packed and fun.
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    You wont waste your money on this one but compared to other Die Hard flicks, it is disappointing. The story is not compelling enough and the villains are not that interesting. So while the action scenes are good, they are a bit pointless.
  24. Feb 15, 2013
    So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful,So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful, in fact the action sequences were actually better than the fourth movie. The characters were solid with an interesting villain backstory. This isn't high brow theater and I have no idea what people were expecting from a diehard movie, but this fits in nicely with the others. Expand
  25. Feb 15, 2013
    I loved Live Free or Die Hard and when I heard about this one I was stoked, but when I saw it, I was very disappointed. It was very unoriginal and it lacked truly amazing action. Also, without spoiling anything, there was WAY TOO MANY betrayals and plot holes for the story to be remotely enjoyable.
  26. Feb 15, 2013
    I did enjoy A good day to Die Hard much more than the second Die Hard movie. This is not the best but it's more than watchable, it is good. It's an action movie what did you expect? Critics sometimes are highly overrated. If you like Die Hard and 80's action movie. You'll like it for sure. I hope they do another one.
  27. Feb 15, 2013
    Yet the question still remains: Why dig up something that has been long dead for a fourth and fifth title? The answer, money. History has proven that in general three is the limit. Willis is tired of this and he screams it in his acting shown here.
  28. Feb 15, 2013
    This is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as ifThis is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as if he's been there before which is pretty awesome, and funny to watch as he is now being put through the ringer with his son.
    The Action scenes are still top tier.
  29. Feb 15, 2013
    This movie is a lot of fun. Great action sequences, especially the extensive chase scene on Moscow freeways.

I'm not sure which movie the haters went to see. The story was surprisingly good, there were competent plot surprises. It just worked. It was entertaining, and well worth seeing. I will be buying it once it comes out.
  30. Feb 15, 2013
    It's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in theIt's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in the plot and action, A Good Day to Die Hard has mayhem oozing from nearly every scenes. That being said, the dialogues are poorly written, lots of crippling plot holes make it less enjoyable than it could have been.

Its visual is crisp and smooth, having slightly darker color and more vibrant contrast of lighting. It is certainly look the part of a blockbuster movie. However, the plot is paltry as it relies too heavily on coincidences and forced explanations for convenience's sake. Couple that with horribly script for most of the time, it is surprising how many cheesy macho lines that can be churned while being in imminent danger, the product is a movie that's a bit hard to take seriously. The previous Die Hard movies progressively up the ante, from terrorist attack in a building to a national threat, sadly this one doesn't offer that same level of intensity.

Bruce Willis reprises his iconic role, one that fits him so well. Acting-wise, he's average, though occasionally delivering above average performances. His age actually helps for his father figure as he is displayed as a wiser man, and apparently being old doesn't slow him down much. Jay Courtney as Jack McClane is a newcomer, his previous roles are the antagonist in Jack Reacher and Varro in Spartacus. His appearance suits such action movie, although he's a bit awkward at times. I personally think Bruce Willis had more chemistry with Justin Long from the last movie.

Sebastian Koch is pretty good as Yuri Kamarov, he provides some intrigue to the movie, as much as the sleazy script allows. Yuliya Snigir as that mandatory hot Russian chick, no point on having Russia as setting without her eye candy babe. She is definitely chosen for the body, because her acting is bordering on creepy, father complex kind of creepiness. The rest are just bad guys line-up who probably could be mistaken from myriad of dozens of movies of the same type.

The prevailing good news is the action is splendid, no doubt since it's the main appeal. Scenes are shot cleverly, often switching views in bird's eye view, giving the audience good perspective of the scale. The camera also follows the characters closely and quickly, it never loses track while very much delivering adrenaline boosting events. Even though not every one of them was done in real life, but it gives the impression of realistic carnage. It excels amazingly in the department it expected to be.

While I like the overwhelming abundance of carnage it delivers, the shoddy plot holes and tacky lines are disturbing enough to hamper the experience.
  31. Feb 14, 2013
    If there's one thing I can stand, it's when there are great shots or great lines in the trailer, and when you see the movie, those lines aren't in it or the shots didn't make it. Let me cut to the chase. In the trailer, a leathered-up hottie rides her motorcycle into a garage, she unzips her bodysuit, and she she's left with a black bikini-looking thing. IT"S NOT in the MOVIE. ThatIf there's one thing I can stand, it's when there are great shots or great lines in the trailer, and when you see the movie, those lines aren't in it or the shots didn't make it. Let me cut to the chase. In the trailer, a leathered-up hottie rides her motorcycle into a garage, she unzips her bodysuit, and she she's left with a black bikini-looking thing. IT"S NOT in the MOVIE. That really sucks. And the line where Willis says, "My boy and I are gonna lay a whoopin' on you" isn't in the movie either. Too bad. It's by far the worst Die Hard. Expand
  32. Feb 14, 2013
    Very Disappointing. I wasn't a huge fan of Die Hard 4, but I would rank it higher than this one. Sad to see a good franchise be ruined by stupid studio money grabbing decisions, this could have been so much more.
  33. Feb 14, 2013
    A Bad Day to Die Hard is what I like to call and as a big fan of Die Hard for so many years, this 5th installment is one of the worst movie of the series. I really don't want a father/son moment, I just want to see more McClane (by himself) saving people and kick the living hell out of those alienated hostages. Once they'll be a 6th movie, that's it. John MCClane is soon going to beA Bad Day to Die Hard is what I like to call and as a big fan of Die Hard for so many years, this 5th installment is one of the worst movie of the series. I really don't want a father/son moment, I just want to see more McClane (by himself) saving people and kick the living hell out of those alienated hostages. Once they'll be a 6th movie, that's it. John MCClane is soon going to be retired from his job not only as a detective, but a fantastic run. But for that, Happy Un-Valentine's Day, Motherf**ker! Expand
  34. Feb 14, 2013
    Don't understand all the hate this film is getting, whilst it's certainly not the best Die Hard it is definitely not the worst one in the franchise, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be getting it when it comes out on Blu-Ray
  35. Feb 14, 2013
    Is there a way of describing something this awful? It is of course worse because it pretends to be Die Hard, but its the movie equivalent of Mocolate. Awful, terrible, horrible, boring, wooden, unoriginal. All I can come up with is BAWFURRIBLE. This is Bawfurrible. Never ever watch it,
  36. Feb 14, 2013
    This film has received a lot of unnecessary hate. It is a part 5 as opposed to the original. This was still Die Hard and still Bruce Willis. The trailers did not ruin it and they went back to an R. Not the best in the series, but by no means the worst. Still entertaining and still a good pace.
  37. Feb 14, 2013
    A good day to puke hard........ WORST DIE HARD SEQUEL EVER!!!!! IAM sorry to say this mr Moore but your movie sucks like HELLLLL! It starts off and then in 20 min of the film there is no John MacLaine but I gave it time... 40 min...... No John MacLaine and then 50 min in the movie he comes as a cop nobody knows? I mean he's kickass he's not old yet!!!!!!!!? I really hardly think that mrA good day to puke hard........ WORST DIE HARD SEQUEL EVER!!!!! IAM sorry to say this mr Moore but your movie sucks like HELLLLL! It starts off and then in 20 min of the film there is no John MacLaine but I gave it time... 40 min...... No John MacLaine and then 50 min in the movie he comes as a cop nobody knows? I mean he's kickass he's not old yet!!!!!!!!? I really hardly think that mr mctirnan was better at this film. So better. I mean like this cop is nothing it's just Bruce Willis!!!! But 5 is for the action that was balanced throughout the film, I mean Jai countery was good with Sebastian Koch, just those two people kicked ass. I punk ed throughout the father and son so called scenes. Only 5 because of Jai and Sebastian and some of the action. Otherwise 1 or 0 Expand
    Feb 14, 2013
    A Bad Film to Watch is Hard.
    Avoid this one at all costs! Honestly, watch the original, and forget the rest. The reason that this franchise has gone on for this long(other than money) is beyond me.
  39. Feb 14, 2013
    DHINO 2 is an agonizing, painful film to watch.

DHINO 2 is an agonizing, painful film to watch.

I was hoping with the R-rating and all that it would go back to the good old days, but what we get is a terrible action movie script that happens to have John McClane in it. The chemistry between the father and son was okay, but everything else, including the supporting cast, was a dread to listen to, while there were terrible shots and weak effects as well.
  40. Feb 14, 2013
    If you want to have a good memory of the Die Hard franchise, do not watch it. If you want to spend money, go to the theatre. This movie is an ordinary action movie with awesome characters.
  41. Feb 14, 2013
    It really pains me to say this, but A Good Day to Die Hard is a muddled, occasionally frustrating affair. As good as Bruce Willis continues to be as John McClane, and as fun as the action sequences are, it clashes with ugly cinematography, an unremarkable premise, and a VERY vanilla performance by Jai Courtney, with Willis often having to be pushed to the back. As it stands it's an okayIt really pains me to say this, but A Good Day to Die Hard is a muddled, occasionally frustrating affair. As good as Bruce Willis continues to be as John McClane, and as fun as the action sequences are, it clashes with ugly cinematography, an unremarkable premise, and a VERY vanilla performance by Jai Courtney, with Willis often having to be pushed to the back. As it stands it's an okay action film, but it's the weak link in the Die Hard chain. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    The entire enterprise is a bewildering mess, put in place only to frustrate and alienate anyone who buys a ticket. Every action scene is telegraphed, and most of the dialogue is irrevocably stupid.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Feb 18, 2013
    I hesitate to ask, but did anyone actually tell McClane, before he arrived, that the Cold War is over?
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Feb 16, 2013
    For anyone who remembers the "Die Hard" adventures at their vital and exciting best, this film feels like a near-death experience.