4.7

1. Feb 17, 2013
    If you are a die hard fan, you will like this movie. It may not be better than the last one, but it is still fun to watch, with all of the action and humorous dialouge. If you are not a fan, you might find it a bit cliche or corny, but it still is a decent action film.
  2. Feb 18, 2013
    It's a good movie with a fearless protagonists. Story is bad. In Previous movie it was better. Of course, A good day has many other problems, but It is continues for a 90 minuts. And during this time, the that movie does not have time to get bored.
  3. Feb 15, 2013
    It's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in theIt's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in the plot and action, A Good Day to Die Hard has mayhem oozing from nearly every scenes. That being said, the dialogues are poorly written, lots of crippling plot holes make it less enjoyable than it could have been.

Its visual is crisp and smooth, having slightly darker color and more vibrant contrast of lighting. It is certainly look the part of a blockbuster movie. However, the plot is paltry as it relies too heavily on coincidences and forced explanations for convenience's sake. Couple that with horribly script for most of the time, it is surprising how many cheesy macho lines that can be churned while being in imminent danger, the product is a movie that's a bit hard to take seriously. The previous Die Hard movies progressively up the ante, from terrorist attack in a building to a national threat, sadly this one doesn't offer that same level of intensity.

Bruce Willis reprises his iconic role, one that fits him so well. Acting-wise, he's average, though occasionally delivering above average performances. His age actually helps for his father figure as he is displayed as a wiser man, and apparently being old doesn't slow him down much. Jay Courtney as Jack McClane is a newcomer, his previous roles are the antagonist in Jack Reacher and Varro in Spartacus. His appearance suits such action movie, although he's a bit awkward at times. I personally think Bruce Willis had more chemistry with Justin Long from the last movie.

Sebastian Koch is pretty good as Yuri Kamarov, he provides some intrigue to the movie, as much as the sleazy script allows. Yuliya Snigir as that mandatory hot Russian chick, no point on having Russia as setting without her eye candy babe. She is definitely chosen for the body, because her acting is bordering on creepy, father complex kind of creepiness. The rest are just bad guys line-up who probably could be mistaken from myriad of dozens of movies of the same type.

The prevailing good news is the action is splendid, no doubt since it's the main appeal. Scenes are shot cleverly, often switching views in bird's eye view, giving the audience good perspective of the scale. The camera also follows the characters closely and quickly, it never loses track while very much delivering adrenaline boosting events. Even though not every one of them was done in real life, but it gives the impression of realistic carnage. It excels amazingly in the department it expected to be.

While I like the overwhelming abundance of carnage it delivers, the shoddy plot holes and tacky lines are disturbing enough to hamper the experience.
  4. Feb 16, 2013
    I think this is how the concept of the movie was developed: "hey guys we need a shoot-em up action movie for some quick cash. Let's just make a ton of guns and explosions, make some nukes and uranium, have bruce willis play a guy from a good movie, and call it Die Hard". No thought was put in the story. In fact, there pretty much was no story. It has nothing to with the other previous andI think this is how the concept of the movie was developed: "hey guys we need a shoot-em up action movie for some quick cash. Let's just make a ton of guns and explosions, make some nukes and uranium, have bruce willis play a guy from a good movie, and call it Die Hard". No thought was put in the story. In fact, there pretty much was no story. It has nothing to with the other previous and decent movies of the same name. However, the action was alright and the movie didn't drag so it is passable. Expand
  5. Feb 16, 2013
    To be completely honest I thought this movie would be awful but it was okay overall. A lot of random explosines and some bull moments, but it had a good story and was well paced but also a little too fast but overall was a okay movie. A Good day to Die Hard 6.4/10
  6. Feb 15, 2013
    So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful,So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful, in fact the action sequences were actually better than the fourth movie. The characters were solid with an interesting villain backstory. This isn't high brow theater and I have no idea what people were expecting from a diehard movie, but this fits in nicely with the others. Expand
  7. Aug 3, 2013
    Perhaps a better title for this senseless, loud, ridiculous, and tediously preposterous action droll would've been 'A Good Day to Not Go to the Movies.'
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    I did enjoy A good day to Die Hard much more than the second Die Hard movie. This is not the best but it's more than watchable, it is good. It's an action movie what did you expect? Critics sometimes are highly overrated. If you like Die Hard and 80's action movie. You'll like it for sure. I hope they do another one.
  9. Apr 7, 2013
    This was a decent action flick and a respectable sequel to add to the four Die Hard films already out there, but at the end of the day it was nothing ground-breaking. Great to still have Bruce in there, and his son Jack is an entertaining character. You are kept both interested and entertained throughout, but the genre itself and the type of film it is can tend to bore me a little so it'sThis was a decent action flick and a respectable sequel to add to the four Die Hard films already out there, but at the end of the day it was nothing ground-breaking. Great to still have Bruce in there, and his son Jack is an entertaining character. You are kept both interested and entertained throughout, but the genre itself and the type of film it is can tend to bore me a little so it's not one I will rush to see again, but fans of the first four will probably still love it Expand
  10. pxl
    Feb 25, 2013
    I liked it, I don't understand peoples problems with this film, I enjoyed it and it's what I expected for a Die Hard film, the gags and the explosions..
  11. Mar 5, 2013
    I honestly don't see why its got such a low rating, after all its got such Awesome action, fair enough the story line wasn't brilliant and is a bit confusing but its still worth watching just for the gun fights and car chases.
  12. Feb 15, 2013
    This is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as ifThis is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as if he's been there before which is pretty awesome, and funny to watch as he is now being put through the ringer with his son.
    The Action scenes are still top tier.
  13. Feb 15, 2013
    Just trying to assign my 7 rating. Do I have to write a review for that to happen.? Since I'm here, I will comment that its funny, the delta (difference) between the reviewer scores and the "users". With rotten tomato data, the delta is about 60 points or more.
  14. Feb 16, 2013
    Macht der Film Spaß? JA! Ergibt der Film Sinn? NEIN! Dazu kommt, dass man nichts mehr von der “Die Hard”-DNA spürt. John und Jack McClane könnten mühelos durch Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) und seinem Bruder oder einfach irgendwelche anderen Figuren ersetzt werden. Das ist natürlich schade. Wäre dies kein Film der geliebten “Die Hard” Reihe, so würde meine Wertung vermutlich durch dieMacht der Film Spaß? JA! Ergibt der Film Sinn? NEIN! Dazu kommt, dass man nichts mehr von der “Die Hard”-DNA spürt. John und Jack McClane könnten mühelos durch Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) und seinem Bruder oder einfach irgendwelche anderen Figuren ersetzt werden. Das ist natürlich schade. Wäre dies kein Film der geliebten “Die Hard” Reihe, so würde meine Wertung vermutlich durch die Decke gehen. Ich drücke aber beide Augen zu und sehe den Streifen als eine Art “Die Hard 4.5″; eine Zwischenepisode um Jack McClane einzuführen. Dann funktioniert alles prima. Collapse
  15. Feb 16, 2013
    well it wasnt the best film in Die Hard franchise. McClane senior had to compete with Junior for audience attention thus he had less dialogues. But that duo gave us adrenaline boosted action sequences which is what we wanted. If only movie was longer than 1,5 h.
  16. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's interesting to make a movie without obviously having any script. In A Good Day to Die Hard" you have got 100 minutes of pure destruction and action. Bruce Willis gives his best to play John McClane once more and his "opponent" Sebastian Koch as Komarov also did very well but the other actors are just not good enough. The cinematography is partially quite interesting but sometimes too bad to look at. Expand
  17. Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately the film fails to deliver. From Die Hard you expect McLane in a bloody tank top being kicked and mauled and still moving on and kicking ass, whereas here the kicking is replaced by fancy scenes with lots of effects and not much substance, it doesn't deliver the classic badassery that we've got used to, you know, like him walking in the toilet and pulling glasses out of hisUnfortunately the film fails to deliver. From Die Hard you expect McLane in a bloody tank top being kicked and mauled and still moving on and kicking ass, whereas here the kicking is replaced by fancy scenes with lots of effects and not much substance, it doesn't deliver the classic badassery that we've got used to, you know, like him walking in the toilet and pulling glasses out of his feet, wrap them up and get back in the game, Willis is probably just getting too old for it.

It also fails with all the father son issue, there are nice gags, it's a nice excuse to get him into Moscow, but aside from that there is no depth to it.

I still believe is worth the cinema ticket and the popcorn, especially if for any reason you haven't watched the older ones that won't disappoint you, but as an old fan of the franchise this film made me sad.
  18. Feb 24, 2013
    I really liked this flix if you have watch from its beginings you understand what is happening besides being a loyal WILLIS fan it was fun to watch!!
  19. Feb 26, 2013
    The Movie will leave you questioning if this movie was good or bad and for the first time a die hard film is not about our title character instead most of the story follows his son on their adventure in moscow while the plot is easy to follow and the action is not bad i felt the writing was good for bruce willis as he had a good performance and was funny from time to time while everybodyThe Movie will leave you questioning if this movie was good or bad and for the first time a die hard film is not about our title character instead most of the story follows his son on their adventure in moscow while the plot is easy to follow and the action is not bad i felt the writing was good for bruce willis as he had a good performance and was funny from time to time while everybody else just tried to follow in his footsteps and try to give good performances Expand
  20. Feb 27, 2013
    I am a huge fan of die hard,but i am not really satisfied with the second part of die hard,the first part was really better than second.although its trying to show a love of a father towards his son but still its not able to connect it in a proper way.
  21. Mar 6, 2013
    A Good Day to Die Hard suffers from a slew of problems. Poor pacing, poor camera work at times, a weak dynamic between the two main protagonists, a b-movie plot, and at the end of the day it just simply didn't feel like a Die Hard movie.
  22. Mar 8, 2013
    Let me start off by saying I am an action film fanatic. I understand some action films should not be judged like dramas or thrillers. The thing is, The action in this latest Die Hard installment Is completely forgettable, Therefore it must be judged by everything else in the film. It's almost as if Bruce Willis didn't read the script. When I originally read the reviews and saw that theLet me start off by saying I am an action film fanatic. I understand some action films should not be judged like dramas or thrillers. The thing is, The action in this latest Die Hard installment Is completely forgettable, Therefore it must be judged by everything else in the film. It's almost as if Bruce Willis didn't read the script. When I originally read the reviews and saw that the movie was bust with the critics I called BS. "No way can a Die Hard film be THAT bad" I thought to myself. It saddens me to say this, but the critics are right. Hell, Battleship was more entertaining than this film. Now that's SAD! I can only hope Bruce Willis has a Stallone moment, and realizes the mistake of this film and ends it right like Stallone did with Rocky Balboa. I'm patiently waiting... Expand
  23. Oct 31, 2013
    A fairly mediocre action movie. Some action scenes are nice, but we've all seen better by now. The plot ends up going nowhere and is muddled by constantly shoehorning in lame father-son moments. These two don't have the best relationship, we get it. Needless to say because of this there are a lot of cliches in this movie. I'm also disappointed with Jai Courtney in this. After watching himA fairly mediocre action movie. Some action scenes are nice, but we've all seen better by now. The plot ends up going nowhere and is muddled by constantly shoehorning in lame father-son moments. These two don't have the best relationship, we get it. Needless to say because of this there are a lot of cliches in this movie. I'm also disappointed with Jai Courtney in this. After watching him nail it as Varro in Spartacus: Blood and Sand it's painful to see him barely trying here. Bruce Willis does ok but is still nothing to write home about. It's not terribly bad, but there are a lot of better action movies out there. Expand
  24. Sep 3, 2013
    Although nowhere near the caliber of the original trilogy, A Good Day to Die Hard is still a decent action flick. A few of the action scenes are actually mildly impressive and feel very much like a return to 80's action cheese. Again, this is no classic (and the weakest Die Hard to boot) but I still had some brainless fun.
  25. Feb 23, 2013
    The more I see these official reviews giving bad reviews onto movies and games, then more I avoid them completely: while it's definitely NOT a great movie, it was still ok and at least it wouldn't make me cry in anger unlike another "debatable" movie, who got MUCH BETTER scores but it's much worse in all possible ways, than this ("cough" Twilight Saga"cough"). But I gotta admit, itThe more I see these official reviews giving bad reviews onto movies and games, then more I avoid them completely: while it's definitely NOT a great movie, it was still ok and at least it wouldn't make me cry in anger unlike another "debatable" movie, who got MUCH BETTER scores but it's much worse in all possible ways, than this ("cough" Twilight Saga"cough"). But I gotta admit, it definitely looks bland: the story is almost non-existant, with a very weak twist in the end and a we barely get much development between the main protagonists, without mentioning that (in my version) there were no subtitles in a lot of the scenes where they talk russian, making me literally wait until it was over (if you had, then don't bother with this statement). While the story and dialogues were bland, the actions scenes however were very good and were enjoyable, even though nothing extreme but still gave a good amount of destruction on screen, with a "good" finisher in the end for the bad guy. Nothing special...but yeah, in comparison to the original movies (although I think Live or Die hard was decent), it was really bland and really forgettable. Would I suggest it? Not really, but if you have nothing better to watch you might enjoy some mindless destruction and action. Skippable, but not terrible either. Expand
  26. Jul 14, 2013
    About a decade ago, Bruce Willis appeared on a late night talk show (Letterman?) and proclaimed that he wasn't doing any more Die Hards because 'there are only so many ways you can run down the street with a gun, screaming.' He really should have stuck with that.

As much as I love watching Bruce and as much as Die Hard has to offer, there's just nothing left of the original in this one it's as much of a milking-the-box-office exercise as I've ever seen in my life. What a waste.
  27. May 25, 2013
    I was a big fan of the Die Hard series, but face it, it hasn't been that great since the last two installments. Sure, it's much better than the last one, where McClane suddenly become a superman and clinging on harrier jets, but the whole film feels anemic compared with its closest 'competitor', the Fast and Furious series. Another big problem...the story relies on Jack McClane a lot butI was a big fan of the Die Hard series, but face it, it hasn't been that great since the last two installments. Sure, it's much better than the last one, where McClane suddenly become a superman and clinging on harrier jets, but the whole film feels anemic compared with its closest 'competitor', the Fast and Furious series. Another big problem...the story relies on Jack McClane a lot but the actor playing him, Jay Courtney has none of the charisma and wit that made Willis a superstar that he is now. A such, the film felt lopsided...Willis is still good, but he has no one to banter with. The last third of the film was pretty good, but heck...Die Hard simply needs to be better in this day and age. Now, it feels like a relic of the 90's. Expand
  28. Mar 2, 2013
    The critics are totally exaggerating with their overly negative reviews. This is a solid action flick with a lot of cheap one-liners and a few sizable plot holes, but it has excellent action and a great John McLane, and that's all that it takes in this case to enjoy your 90 minutes.
  29. Jul 27, 2013
    A well shot die hard movie. The story was a little unbelievable, and at first I didn't like the actor who played his son. The guy seemed wooden. As for the action sequences, they were really good. I like Bruce Willis, and it is hard for me to bash anything he is in. They all promise to be entertaining, and this movie was that.
  30. Feb 28, 2013
    The first diehard was the first restricted movie I saw back 87. Now in 2013, married and 3 kids later, I have to admit I low expectations after the reviews came out, but the movie is nowhere near as bad as the critics are saying. Some exellent action, some cheesy cgi, and Bruce on autopilot.

I am not sure if the problem is the direction or the script....and I suspect both are the weak links here. The weakest of the diehards, but far from the worst movie I have ever seen (action or otherwise).

1. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    The entire enterprise is a bewildering mess, put in place only to frustrate and alienate anyone who buys a ticket. Every action scene is telegraphed, and most of the dialogue is irrevocably stupid.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Feb 18, 2013
    I hesitate to ask, but did anyone actually tell McClane, before he arrived, that the Cold War is over?
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Feb 16, 2013
    For anyone who remembers the "Die Hard" adventures at their vital and exciting best, this film feels like a near-death experience.