4.7

1. Feb 15, 2013
    Frankly, I feel that many critics are being too harsh. The movie was filled with action: explosions, shooting, car chases, wrecks, heart jumping out of your chest terror and humor. As a woman, I enjoyed every single moment of the film. I passed up the squishy Valentine's Day flicks, and I am ultra girly. I much prefer to see blood and guts action, over a sappy love story any day. I justFrankly, I feel that many critics are being too harsh. The movie was filled with action: explosions, shooting, car chases, wrecks, heart jumping out of your chest terror and humor. As a woman, I enjoyed every single moment of the film. I passed up the squishy Valentine's Day flicks, and I am ultra girly. I much prefer to see blood and guts action, over a sappy love story any day. I just think that maybe Fox made a mistake releasing the film on Valentine's Day. That's it, but hey the film was pretty good, I'm glad to see the entire team back again. BTW, the team did a fantastic job. Expand
  2. Feb 15, 2013
    Far from being the best die hard, yet not a bad action movie. Really liked the movie, worth the 8$ spent on ticket. If you have nothing to do one night, go out with some of your buddies and see this movie, action packed and fun.
  3. Feb 15, 2013
    You wont waste your money on this one but compared to other Die Hard flicks, it is disappointing. The story is not compelling enough and the villains are not that interesting. So while the action scenes are good, they are a bit pointless.
  4. Feb 15, 2013
    So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful,So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful, in fact the action sequences were actually better than the fourth movie. The characters were solid with an interesting villain backstory. This isn't high brow theater and I have no idea what people were expecting from a diehard movie, but this fits in nicely with the others. Expand
  5. Feb 15, 2013
    I loved Live Free or Die Hard and when I heard about this one I was stoked, but when I saw it, I was very disappointed. It was very unoriginal and it lacked truly amazing action. Also, without spoiling anything, there was WAY TOO MANY betrayals and plot holes for the story to be remotely enjoyable.
  6. Feb 15, 2013
    I did enjoy A good day to Die Hard much more than the second Die Hard movie. This is not the best but it's more than watchable, it is good. It's an action movie what did you expect? Critics sometimes are highly overrated. If you like Die Hard and 80's action movie. You'll like it for sure. I hope they do another one.
  7. Feb 15, 2013
    Yet the question still remains: Why dig up something that has been long dead for a fourth and fifth title? The answer, money. History has proven that in general three is the limit. Willis is tired of this and he screams it in his acting shown here.
  8. Feb 15, 2013
    This is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as ifThis is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as if he's been there before which is pretty awesome, and funny to watch as he is now being put through the ringer with his son.
    The Action scenes are still top tier.
  9. Feb 15, 2013
    This movie is a lot of fun. Great action sequences, especially the extensive chase scene on Moscow freeways.

I'm not sure which movie the haters went to see. The story was surprisingly good, there were competent plot surprises. It just worked. It was entertaining, and well worth seeing. I will be buying it once it comes out.
  10. Feb 15, 2013
    It's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in theIt's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in the plot and action, A Good Day to Die Hard has mayhem oozing from nearly every scenes. That being said, the dialogues are poorly written, lots of crippling plot holes make it less enjoyable than it could have been.

Its visual is crisp and smooth, having slightly darker color and more vibrant contrast of lighting. It is certainly look the part of a blockbuster movie. However, the plot is paltry as it relies too heavily on coincidences and forced explanations for convenience's sake. Couple that with horribly script for most of the time, it is surprising how many cheesy macho lines that can be churned while being in imminent danger, the product is a movie that's a bit hard to take seriously. The previous Die Hard movies progressively up the ante, from terrorist attack in a building to a national threat, sadly this one doesn't offer that same level of intensity.

Bruce Willis reprises his iconic role, one that fits him so well. Acting-wise, he's average, though occasionally delivering above average performances. His age actually helps for his father figure as he is displayed as a wiser man, and apparently being old doesn't slow him down much. Jay Courtney as Jack McClane is a newcomer, his previous roles are the antagonist in Jack Reacher and Varro in Spartacus. His appearance suits such action movie, although he's a bit awkward at times. I personally think Bruce Willis had more chemistry with Justin Long from the last movie.

Sebastian Koch is pretty good as Yuri Kamarov, he provides some intrigue to the movie, as much as the sleazy script allows. Yuliya Snigir as that mandatory hot Russian chick, no point on having Russia as setting without her eye candy babe. She is definitely chosen for the body, because her acting is bordering on creepy, father complex kind of creepiness. The rest are just bad guys line-up who probably could be mistaken from myriad of dozens of movies of the same type.

The prevailing good news is the action is splendid, no doubt since it's the main appeal. Scenes are shot cleverly, often switching views in bird's eye view, giving the audience good perspective of the scale. The camera also follows the characters closely and quickly, it never loses track while very much delivering adrenaline boosting events. Even though not every one of them was done in real life, but it gives the impression of realistic carnage. It excels amazingly in the department it expected to be.

While I like the overwhelming abundance of carnage it delivers, the shoddy plot holes and tacky lines are disturbing enough to hamper the experience.
  11. Feb 14, 2013
    If there's one thing I can stand, it's when there are great shots or great lines in the trailer, and when you see the movie, those lines aren't in it or the shots didn't make it. Let me cut to the chase. In the trailer, a leathered-up hottie rides her motorcycle into a garage, she unzips her bodysuit, and she she's left with a black bikini-looking thing. IT"S NOT in the MOVIE. ThatIf there's one thing I can stand, it's when there are great shots or great lines in the trailer, and when you see the movie, those lines aren't in it or the shots didn't make it. Let me cut to the chase. In the trailer, a leathered-up hottie rides her motorcycle into a garage, she unzips her bodysuit, and she she's left with a black bikini-looking thing. IT"S NOT in the MOVIE. That really sucks. And the line where Willis says, "My boy and I are gonna lay a whoopin' on you" isn't in the movie either. Too bad. It's by far the worst Die Hard. Expand
  12. Feb 14, 2013
    Very Disappointing. I wasn't a huge fan of Die Hard 4, but I would rank it higher than this one. Sad to see a good franchise be ruined by stupid studio money grabbing decisions, this could have been so much more.
  13. Feb 14, 2013
    A Bad Day to Die Hard is what I like to call and as a big fan of Die Hard for so many years, this 5th installment is one of the worst movie of the series. I really don't want a father/son moment, I just want to see more McClane (by himself) saving people and kick the living hell out of those alienated hostages. Once they'll be a 6th movie, that's it. John MCClane is soon going to beA Bad Day to Die Hard is what I like to call and as a big fan of Die Hard for so many years, this 5th installment is one of the worst movie of the series. I really don't want a father/son moment, I just want to see more McClane (by himself) saving people and kick the living hell out of those alienated hostages. Once they'll be a 6th movie, that's it. John MCClane is soon going to be retired from his job not only as a detective, but a fantastic run. But for that, Happy Un-Valentine's Day, Motherf**ker! Expand
  14. Feb 14, 2013
    Don't understand all the hate this film is getting, whilst it's certainly not the best Die Hard it is definitely not the worst one in the franchise, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be getting it when it comes out on Blu-Ray
  15. Feb 14, 2013
    Is there a way of describing something this awful? It is of course worse because it pretends to be Die Hard, but its the movie equivalent of Mocolate. Awful, terrible, horrible, boring, wooden, unoriginal. All I can come up with is BAWFURRIBLE. This is Bawfurrible. Never ever watch it,
  16. Feb 14, 2013
    This film has received a lot of unnecessary hate. It is a part 5 as opposed to the original. This was still Die Hard and still Bruce Willis. The trailers did not ruin it and they went back to an R. Not the best in the series, but by no means the worst. Still entertaining and still a good pace.
  17. Feb 14, 2013
    A good day to puke hard........ WORST DIE HARD SEQUEL EVER!!!!! IAM sorry to say this mr Moore but your movie sucks like HELLLLL! It starts off and then in 20 min of the film there is no John MacLaine but I gave it time... 40 min...... No John MacLaine and then 50 min in the movie he comes as a cop nobody knows? I mean he's kickass he's not old yet!!!!!!!!? I really hardly think that mrA good day to puke hard........ WORST DIE HARD SEQUEL EVER!!!!! IAM sorry to say this mr Moore but your movie sucks like HELLLLL! It starts off and then in 20 min of the film there is no John MacLaine but I gave it time... 40 min...... No John MacLaine and then 50 min in the movie he comes as a cop nobody knows? I mean he's kickass he's not old yet!!!!!!!!? I really hardly think that mr mctirnan was better at this film. So better. I mean like this cop is nothing it's just Bruce Willis!!!! But 5 is for the action that was balanced throughout the film, I mean Jai countery was good with Sebastian Koch, just those two people kicked ass. I punk ed throughout the father and son so called scenes. Only 5 because of Jai and Sebastian and some of the action. Otherwise 1 or 0 Expand
    Feb 14, 2013
    A Bad Film to Watch is Hard.
    Avoid this one at all costs! Honestly, watch the original, and forget the rest. The reason that this franchise has gone on for this long(other than money) is beyond me.
  19. Feb 14, 2013
    DHINO 2 is an agonizing, painful film to watch.

DHINO 2 is an agonizing, painful film to watch.

I was hoping with the R-rating and all that it would go back to the good old days, but what we get is a terrible action movie script that happens to have John McClane in it. The chemistry between the father and son was okay, but everything else, including the supporting cast, was a dread to listen to, while there were terrible shots and weak effects as well.
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    If you want to have a good memory of the Die Hard franchise, do not watch it. If you want to spend money, go to the theatre. This movie is an ordinary action movie with awesome characters.
  21. Feb 14, 2013
    It really pains me to say this, but A Good Day to Die Hard is a muddled, occasionally frustrating affair. As good as Bruce Willis continues to be as John McClane, and as fun as the action sequences are, it clashes with ugly cinematography, an unremarkable premise, and a VERY vanilla performance by Jai Courtney, with Willis often having to be pushed to the back. As it stands it's an okayIt really pains me to say this, but A Good Day to Die Hard is a muddled, occasionally frustrating affair. As good as Bruce Willis continues to be as John McClane, and as fun as the action sequences are, it clashes with ugly cinematography, an unremarkable premise, and a VERY vanilla performance by Jai Courtney, with Willis often having to be pushed to the back. As it stands it's an okay action film, but it's the weak link in the Die Hard chain. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    The entire enterprise is a bewildering mess, put in place only to frustrate and alienate anyone who buys a ticket. Every action scene is telegraphed, and most of the dialogue is irrevocably stupid.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Feb 18, 2013
    I hesitate to ask, but did anyone actually tell McClane, before he arrived, that the Cold War is over?
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Feb 16, 2013
    For anyone who remembers the "Die Hard" adventures at their vital and exciting best, this film feels like a near-death experience.