4.7

1. Feb 16, 2013
    Guys this movie its really good 007 stfu make good critics or gtfo............................................................................................
  2. Feb 16, 2013
    Just watched the movie, man it's awesome, why do they hate this movie?, it's fun, entertaining, intresting and has got some amazing special effects.
  3. Feb 15, 2013
    Frankly, I feel that many critics are being too harsh. The movie was filled with action: explosions, shooting, car chases, wrecks, heart jumping out of your chest terror and humor. As a woman, I enjoyed every single moment of the film. I passed up the squishy Valentine's Day flicks, and I am ultra girly. I much prefer to see blood and guts action, over a sappy love story any day. I justFrankly, I feel that many critics are being too harsh. The movie was filled with action: explosions, shooting, car chases, wrecks, heart jumping out of your chest terror and humor. As a woman, I enjoyed every single moment of the film. I passed up the squishy Valentine's Day flicks, and I am ultra girly. I much prefer to see blood and guts action, over a sappy love story any day. I just think that maybe Fox made a mistake releasing the film on Valentine's Day. That's it, but hey the film was pretty good, I'm glad to see the entire team back again. BTW, the team did a fantastic job. Expand
  4. Feb 24, 2013
    I really liked this flix if you have watch from its beginings you understand what is happening besides being a loyal WILLIS fan it was fun to watch!!
  5. Apr 7, 2013
    Worst movie I've seen in a long time. No characterization worth mentioning, the characters' choices are non-sensical, and the action is lame. I don't recommend it. 2/10 stars.
  6. Apr 7, 2013
    I go to seen in the movie. I was expect borce wilton but some dumb bald in this garpage. i get up and leave. then i come back because i pay molny for tocket here is the score 2/10

Your good frons,

SteVAN
  7. May 22, 2013
    I don't know why people hate this movie it's enjoyable. It's action packed, what else do you want from a Die Hard movie. I only recommend for Die Hard fans.
  8. Feb 18, 2013
    Don't listen to all the bad reviews,this is still a good movie. In my opinion the Die hard movies have been getting better as they go on. The forth movie they kind of hit a peak, the fifth movie is not really worse or better than the forth. Despite not being everything one might want or expect from a die hard film, it is still entertaining. There is still a lot of badass stuff in it, goDon't listen to all the bad reviews,this is still a good movie. In my opinion the Die hard movies have been getting better as they go on. The forth movie they kind of hit a peak, the fifth movie is not really worse or better than the forth. Despite not being everything one might want or expect from a die hard film, it is still entertaining. There is still a lot of badass stuff in it, go see it you won't regret it. Expand
  9. Feb 27, 2013
    I thought this movie was great and have no idea why it has such a bad rating. I thought it was really funny, it had a lot of action and a decent story which is all a Die Hard movie needs.
  10. Mar 8, 2014
    I don`t understand all the hate for this movie. Even if it was released on Valentines day who expected a romantic movie? It was a fast moving movie, and was full of action just like I expected.
  11. Feb 15, 2013
    I did enjoy A good day to Die Hard much more than the second Die Hard movie. This is not the best but it's more than watchable, it is good. It's an action movie what did you expect? Critics sometimes are highly overrated. If you like Die Hard and 80's action movie. You'll like it for sure. I hope they do another one.
  12. pxl
    Feb 25, 2013
    I liked it, I don't understand peoples problems with this film, I enjoyed it and it's what I expected for a Die Hard film, the gags and the explosions..
  13. Feb 15, 2013
    This is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as ifThis is probably the 3rd best installment in the series behind 1 and 3. Tons of fan service, tons of action, tons of fun. I've been hearing complaints about people saying it's not realistic enough but honestly that is what helps move this movie along. John McClane is a character who is hard to kill. If you've seen the other 4 diehards you know that. He brings a calmness in this movie as if he's been there before which is pretty awesome, and funny to watch as he is now being put through the ringer with his son.
    The Action scenes are still top tier.
  14. Feb 24, 2013
    I don't see why people about this movie, it got all a Die Hard movie could want, Explosions, cheesy lines, action packed, and some really fun moments also "Need a hug?" xD made me laugh.

What else do you want, beside maybe a better villain, like Hans from Die Hard 1. well i was all around pleased when i left the cinema, i wasen't dissapointed, like when i saw Wreck it Ralph, (damn

well i was all around pleased when i left the cinema, i wasen't dissapointed, like when i saw Wreck it Ralph, (damn don't ever see that movie)
  15. Feb 17, 2013
    If you are a die hard fan, you will like this movie. It may not be better than the last one, but it is still fun to watch, with all of the action and humorous dialouge. If you are not a fan, you might find it a bit cliche or corny, but it still is a decent action film.
  16. Feb 18, 2013
    It's a good movie with a fearless protagonists. Story is bad. In Previous movie it was better. Of course, A good day has many other problems, but It is continues for a 90 minuts. And during this time, the that movie does not have time to get bored.
  17. Feb 15, 2013
    This movie is a lot of fun. Great action sequences, especially the extensive chase scene on Moscow freeways.

I'm not sure which movie the haters went to see. The story was surprisingly good, there were competent plot surprises. It just worked. It was entertaining, and well worth seeing. I will be buying it once it comes out.
  18. Mar 1, 2013
    I looked at the reviews of both "professional" critics and users alike, and have found the same problem. People are complaining about what has made the Die Hard series popular, the action. People claim that it is SO AWFUL that the film makes no sense, but that is what Die Hard has always been known for. If you hate that so much, why do you watch the Die Hard series and why do you watchI looked at the reviews of both "professional" critics and users alike, and have found the same problem. People are complaining about what has made the Die Hard series popular, the action. People claim that it is SO AWFUL that the film makes no sense, but that is what Die Hard has always been known for. If you hate that so much, why do you watch the Die Hard series and why do you watch action movies but when it has action, you complain? Expand
  19. Feb 15, 2013
    So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful,So I went to an all day Die Hard Movie Marathon and this movie was the last that played. Watching them all back-to-back really put this movie in context and I have to say it does not disappoint. John McClain is just a unlucky individual who's entire life involves getting into highly unlikely situations facing insane terrorists. Nothing in this movie I can really point at and say was awful, in fact the action sequences were actually better than the fourth movie. The characters were solid with an interesting villain backstory. This isn't high brow theater and I have no idea what people were expecting from a diehard movie, but this fits in nicely with the others. Expand
  20. Feb 14, 2013
    This film has received a lot of unnecessary hate. It is a part 5 as opposed to the original. This was still Die Hard and still Bruce Willis. The trailers did not ruin it and they went back to an R. Not the best in the series, but by no means the worst. Still entertaining and still a good pace.
  21. Apr 7, 2013
    This was a decent action flick and a respectable sequel to add to the four Die Hard films already out there, but at the end of the day it was nothing ground-breaking. Great to still have Bruce in there, and his son Jack is an entertaining character. You are kept both interested and entertained throughout, but the genre itself and the type of film it is can tend to bore me a little so it'sThis was a decent action flick and a respectable sequel to add to the four Die Hard films already out there, but at the end of the day it was nothing ground-breaking. Great to still have Bruce in there, and his son Jack is an entertaining character. You are kept both interested and entertained throughout, but the genre itself and the type of film it is can tend to bore me a little so it's not one I will rush to see again, but fans of the first four will probably still love it Expand
  22. Feb 14, 2013
    Don't understand all the hate this film is getting, whilst it's certainly not the best Die Hard it is definitely not the worst one in the franchise, I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be getting it when it comes out on Blu-Ray
  23. Feb 15, 2013
    Just trying to assign my 7 rating. Do I have to write a review for that to happen.? Since I'm here, I will comment that its funny, the delta (difference) between the reviewer scores and the "users". With rotten tomato data, the delta is about 60 points or more.
  24. Aug 1, 2013
    Yes, it's the worst of Die Hard series, but "A Good Day to Die Hard" offers terrific action scenes, car persecutions, and all of Die Hard give to us. Very Good Movie.
  25. Feb 15, 2013
    Far from being the best die hard, yet not a bad action movie. Really liked the movie, worth the 8$ spent on ticket. If you have nothing to do one night, go out with some of your buddies and see this movie, action packed and fun.
  26. Jul 27, 2013
    A well shot die hard movie. The story was a little unbelievable, and at first I didn't like the actor who played his son. The guy seemed wooden. As for the action sequences, they were really good. I like Bruce Willis, and it is hard for me to bash anything he is in. They all promise to be entertaining, and this movie was that.
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    I honestly don't see why its got such a low rating, after all its got such Awesome action, fair enough the story line wasn't brilliant and is a bit confusing but its still worth watching just for the gun fights and car chases.
  28. Feb 22, 2013
    What's wrong with you people? I had the exact same thing with 'Bullet to the Head'. This is a 'Die Hard' movie with John McClane doing what he does best, kick ass. I'll agree that it's (arguably) the weakest of the franchise but I knew precisely what I was going to see and that's what I saw, an action packed 'Die Hard' flick. The plot is same ol, same ol but this John McClane vehicle wasWhat's wrong with you people? I had the exact same thing with 'Bullet to the Head'. This is a 'Die Hard' movie with John McClane doing what he does best, kick ass. I'll agree that it's (arguably) the weakest of the franchise but I knew precisely what I was going to see and that's what I saw, an action packed 'Die Hard' flick. The plot is same ol, same ol but this John McClane vehicle was never about hidden messages within a complex plot. As if!, lol. I'll also agree that using the Russian angle was scraping the story barrel and taking it to a new low but again, do we care too much? You do? Why go to see an action movie with Bruno in it then? The DH franchise did have a chance to breath new life into itself or even go out in dramatic style but I can't bring myself to blame Bruno or even the film itself. I will put some blame on Skip Woods who has written some decent screenplays for the likes of Swordfish, Hit-man and Wolverine but this was a job for a writer made of classier stuff. I don't know who wrote the screenplays (not the book) for the Bourne series but that type of writer. Oh well, I still enjoyed this film because it still had some amazing action sequences with Mr Willis throwing in his usual one liners.

The bottom line is, forget going to see this if you want a deeper meaning in your story, (I hear tell of a film called 'The Master' that might suit you brainy types, lol), but for unadulterated, brainless action then John McClane Son do the job rather nicely.

Recommended

Score: 7/10

N∆V navq@ymail.com
  29. Feb 16, 2013
    Macht der Film Spaß? JA! Ergibt der Film Sinn? NEIN! Dazu kommt, dass man nichts mehr von der “Die Hard”-DNA spürt. John und Jack McClane könnten mühelos durch Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) und seinem Bruder oder einfach irgendwelche anderen Figuren ersetzt werden. Das ist natürlich schade. Wäre dies kein Film der geliebten “Die Hard” Reihe, so würde meine Wertung vermutlich durch dieMacht der Film Spaß? JA! Ergibt der Film Sinn? NEIN! Dazu kommt, dass man nichts mehr von der “Die Hard”-DNA spürt. John und Jack McClane könnten mühelos durch Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible) und seinem Bruder oder einfach irgendwelche anderen Figuren ersetzt werden. Das ist natürlich schade. Wäre dies kein Film der geliebten “Die Hard” Reihe, so würde meine Wertung vermutlich durch die Decke gehen. Ich drücke aber beide Augen zu und sehe den Streifen als eine Art “Die Hard 4.5″; eine Zwischenepisode um Jack McClane einzuführen. Dann funktioniert alles prima. Expand
  30. Mar 8, 2013
    Enjoyed the film for what it was, a popcorn flick that you will probably watch once and forget most of it but is an entertaining way enough to kill 90 mins or so.. I think the expectations are that people want Die Hard 1 but you can't recreate it (and if it hadn't been made until now it would probably be panned in the reviews.). It's not as good as Die Hard 1 or 3 but is better than 4.0..Enjoyed the film for what it was, a popcorn flick that you will probably watch once and forget most of it but is an entertaining way enough to kill 90 mins or so.. I think the expectations are that people want Die Hard 1 but you can't recreate it (and if it hadn't been made until now it would probably be panned in the reviews.). It's not as good as Die Hard 1 or 3 but is better than 4.0.. so it's a start! Expand
  31. Apr 9, 2013
    This movie is not a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination and has nothing on its predecessors, but it is one of the most fun movies I have seen in a long time, with it's combination of massive, over the top action sequences dominating the majority if the movie and McClane's dry humour weaved in-between huge explosions, results in a highly entertaining movie.
  32. May 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 7/10 just for the charismatic characters, chase through Moscow and a bunch of helicopters.The movie is terrible on errors. Who will miss the Maybach on the border of Russia and Ukraine without documents from our driver and passenger.? You did not know that the Pripyat in Ukraine? Apparently in the U.S. are idiots and can not look at a map? What kind of idiotic gas shut-off radiation? In such nonsense even kids will not believe! As radiation from the storage of uranium is not found in the bank all these years?Guys you had the original gold script and you ruined it! Only the big chase does not allow to cast aside the director's tomatoes! Expand
  33. Jun 6, 2013
    John didn't seem his clumsy laugh at killing bad guys self. Almost like they subdued his character to make room for his son.

Another bad guy thrown off a roof, another copter crash, stuff we've already seen. Not the best Die Hard movie but it did have some good action parts like the chase. Just ignore the part about the SUV pushing a 30 ton armored vehicle off the road...
  34. Jun 23, 2013
    Very Enjoyable :)

Starts of rather comedic as a tribute to the franchise perhaps.. this then escalates to a full blown action movie Yippee Ka Yeh~!
  35. Feb 17, 2013
    Lots of action, great special effects, good chase sequences. However, the story seemed unrealistic, has kinda boring characters a lot of the dialogue seems forced. Good to watch if gripping action and special effects is what you're seeking.
  36. Feb 22, 2013
    Bruce Willis is back for the 5th time traveling to Russia, where ends up with him in a mighty battle over nuclear weapons with his son. It goes like this: a few lines of throwaway dialogue, then a flashy fight. Repeat for 97 minutes. The first chase sequence is spectacularly over the top. And it gets bigger from there. The father/son thing provides almost as much conflict as the humdrumBruce Willis is back for the 5th time traveling to Russia, where ends up with him in a mighty battle over nuclear weapons with his son. It goes like this: a few lines of throwaway dialogue, then a flashy fight. Repeat for 97 minutes. The first chase sequence is spectacularly over the top. And it gets bigger from there. The father/son thing provides almost as much conflict as the humdrum villains and Jai Courtney's performance (as the son) is as flat as Willis'. Otherwise, there's lots of firepower with no time for it to drag. Don't expect anything other than big action and you'll be mindlessly entertained. Expand
  37. Sep 3, 2013
    Although nowhere near the caliber of the original trilogy, A Good Day to Die Hard is still a decent action flick. A few of the action scenes are actually mildly impressive and feel very much like a return to 80's action cheese. Again, this is no classic (and the weakest Die Hard to boot) but I still had some brainless fun.
  38. May 25, 2013
    I was a big fan of the Die Hard series, but face it, it hasn't been that great since the last two installments. Sure, it's much better than the last one, where McClane suddenly become a superman and clinging on harrier jets, but the whole film feels anemic compared with its closest 'competitor', the Fast and Furious series. Another big problem...the story relies on Jack McClane a lot butI was a big fan of the Die Hard series, but face it, it hasn't been that great since the last two installments. Sure, it's much better than the last one, where McClane suddenly become a superman and clinging on harrier jets, but the whole film feels anemic compared with its closest 'competitor', the Fast and Furious series. Another big problem...the story relies on Jack McClane a lot but the actor playing him, Jay Courtney has none of the charisma and wit that made Willis a superstar that he is now. A such, the film felt lopsided...Willis is still good, but he has no one to banter with. The last third of the film was pretty good, but heck...Die Hard simply needs to be better in this day and age. Now, it feels like a relic of the 90's. Expand
  39. Feb 15, 2013
    It's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in theIt's funny how John McClane's kids appear just in time for sequels despite barely even existed in the prequels. This particular time, his son participates in a secret ops at Russia and John just picks the right time to reconnect their long lost bond, when seemingly infinite bullets and flyable cars whisk above their heads. Part family reunion, part buddy movie and wholly ludicrous in the plot and action, A Good Day to Die Hard has mayhem oozing from nearly every scenes. That being said, the dialogues are poorly written, lots of crippling plot holes make it less enjoyable than it could have been.

Its visual is crisp and smooth, having slightly darker color and more vibrant contrast of lighting. It is certainly look the part of a blockbuster movie. However, the plot is paltry as it relies too heavily on coincidences and forced explanations for convenience's sake. Couple that with horribly script for most of the time, it is surprising how many cheesy macho lines that can be churned while being in imminent danger, the product is a movie that's a bit hard to take seriously. The previous Die Hard movies progressively up the ante, from terrorist attack in a building to a national threat, sadly this one doesn't offer that same level of intensity.

Bruce Willis reprises his iconic role, one that fits him so well. Acting-wise, he's average, though occasionally delivering above average performances. His age actually helps for his father figure as he is displayed as a wiser man, and apparently being old doesn't slow him down much. Jay Courtney as Jack McClane is a newcomer, his previous roles are the antagonist in Jack Reacher and Varro in Spartacus. His appearance suits such action movie, although he's a bit awkward at times. I personally think Bruce Willis had more chemistry with Justin Long from the last movie.

Sebastian Koch is pretty good as Yuri Kamarov, he provides some intrigue to the movie, as much as the sleazy script allows. Yuliya Snigir as that mandatory hot Russian chick, no point on having Russia as setting without her eye candy babe. She is definitely chosen for the body, because her acting is bordering on creepy, father complex kind of creepiness. The rest are just bad guys line-up who probably could be mistaken from myriad of dozens of movies of the same type.

The prevailing good news is the action is splendid, no doubt since it's the main appeal. Scenes are shot cleverly, often switching views in bird's eye view, giving the audience good perspective of the scale. The camera also follows the characters closely and quickly, it never loses track while very much delivering adrenaline boosting events. Even though not every one of them was done in real life, but it gives the impression of realistic carnage. It excels amazingly in the department it expected to be.

While I like the overwhelming abundance of carnage it delivers, the shoddy plot holes and tacky lines are disturbing enough to hamper the experience.
  40. Feb 22, 2013
    Die Hard was once a great series that featured a loveable charachter facing down the improbable, with great action, in a compelling story. But, the improbable has become the impossible in it's fifth installment, with over the top special effects, a weak storyline, and some very dry acting. I am an action junkie and Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors, but the essence of John McClaneDie Hard was once a great series that featured a loveable charachter facing down the improbable, with great action, in a compelling story. But, the improbable has become the impossible in it's fifth installment, with over the top special effects, a weak storyline, and some very dry acting. I am an action junkie and Bruce Willis is one of my favorite actors, but the essence of John McClane died a long time ago. Right from the start I could tell that Willis wasn't all that into this and it shows, as McClan goes from being the ultimate tough guy to a man just going through the motions. The story centers around reuniting with his son in a foreign country, which I though was an interesting twist, but the angle as well as any semblance of a story was barely touched upon. Die Hard 5 was just one over the top action scene after another, with very little substance, emotion, or appeal for audiences. The John McClan we knew and loved, the man who saved the Nakatomi building, is long gone, instead he is replaced by an emotionless man who expects this sort of thing to happen to him wherever he goes. Willis was going through the motions for a big pay day, and while there were some good lines and some great action sequences, there isn't much of a story or cast to write about. Die Hard 5 is about making money through special effects, using characters who have long out lived their usefulness. If this is how the series has evolved than I pray that this will be the end of it. If the producers want to milk more money out of the franchise, maybe they can wait ten years or so and have some British hunk remake it, with Willis making a cameo, until then, I must declare the Die Hard series official dead with A Good Day To Die Hard. Expand
  41. Mar 2, 2013
    The critics are totally exaggerating with their overly negative reviews. This is a solid action flick with a lot of cheap one-liners and a few sizable plot holes, but it has excellent action and a great John McLane, and that's all that it takes in this case to enjoy your 90 minutes.
  42. Feb 15, 2013
    You wont waste your money on this one but compared to other Die Hard flicks, it is disappointing. The story is not compelling enough and the villains are not that interesting. So while the action scenes are good, they are a bit pointless.
  43. Feb 16, 2013
    To be completely honest I thought this movie would be awful but it was okay overall. A lot of random explosines and some bull moments, but it had a good story and was well paced but also a little too fast but overall was a okay movie. A Good day to Die Hard 6.4/10
  44. Feb 28, 2013
    The first diehard was the first restricted movie I saw back 87. Now in 2013, married and 3 kids later, I have to admit I low expectations after the reviews came out, but the movie is nowhere near as bad as the critics are saying. Some exellent action, some cheesy cgi, and Bruce on autopilot.

I am not sure if the problem is the direction or the script....and I suspect both are the weak links here. The weakest of the diehards, but far from the worst movie I have ever seen (action or otherwise).
  45. Feb 16, 2013
    It has the one-liners,guns and action, but it does not feel like die hard to me. Russia as background was pretty boring and father-son comedy was just awkward. No need to watch the film unless you are a true fan of the franchise.
  46. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Recibí lo que esperaba: poco, Un buen día para morir es una película para un público poco exigente que sabe a lo que va, buenos efectos especiales utilizados como nube de humo para esconder personajes poco carismáticos que olvidaremos fácilmente, la química entre los personajes padre e hijo fue cero y acartonada. Bruce Willis hizo lo suyo, al menos lo que pudo a su edad.

Es una película que entretiene más por sus fuegos artificiales que por sus diálogos, las glorias de años pasados han llegado a su fin. Con algunas inconsistencias en el tiempo y en escenas, la película se centra en la relación de McClane y su hijo, que intentando salvar a un presidiario se envuelve en más enredos de los que esperaban, al final, los malos pierden, los buenos ganan, fueron felices y comieron perdices, no defraudará a los seguidores de la saga ni del género.

Lo bueno: Escenas de acción bien elaboradas, Sorpresas inesperadas al final, Mucha acción, 97 minutos fue el tiempo perfecto para lo que ocurrio.

Lo malo: Poco química entre los personajes, McClane quejándose constantemente del fiasco de sus vacaciones, sentimentalismos en los momentos menos indicados, guion y trama débil, personajes secundarios pobremente interpretados.

Ya se ha confirmado la sexta parte aunque pienso que este es “Un buen día para morir”.
  47. Feb 16, 2013
    well it wasnt the best film in Die Hard franchise. McClane senior had to compete with Junior for audience attention thus he had less dialogues. But that duo gave us adrenaline boosted action sequences which is what we wanted. If only movie was longer than 1,5 h.
  48. Feb 27, 2013
    I am a huge fan of die hard,but i am not really satisfied with the second part of die hard,the first part was really better than second.although its trying to show a love of a father towards his son but still its not able to connect it in a proper way.
  49. Mar 7, 2013
    I generally enjoyed going to see Die Hard, although it doesn't have the same feel as all previous installments. Sure, Bruce Willis is there killing bad guys, but it seems as though this one was rather unnecessary. The movie develops almost exactly as you expect it (besides a twist later on in the film). I can't say I regret going to see it, but I can say it probably could have been betterI generally enjoyed going to see Die Hard, although it doesn't have the same feel as all previous installments. Sure, Bruce Willis is there killing bad guys, but it seems as though this one was rather unnecessary. The movie develops almost exactly as you expect it (besides a twist later on in the film). I can't say I regret going to see it, but I can say it probably could have been better in my opinion. Expand
  50. Jul 4, 2013
    This is a action packed,fun popcorn movie.I agree with people that it doesn't fell like a Die Hard movie.But,I still think it is a fun movie to watch.
  51. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. John McClane is my favorite action hero. He fights dirty, delivers clever one-liners, and maintains the element of an overall likable guy that runs into situations that he even wonders how he got into. McClane has killed 65 people over 4 films, and has sustained more injuries than Tony Stark's Iron Man suit. The man should have died dozens of times ago, but he's that "----ing energizer bunny." In his 5th installment of the Die Hard series, McClane heads to Russia to see his son (Jai Courtney), who has been arrested for murder. Little does McClane know that he is about to walk into a battle, in which he has to protect himself, his son, who is really an undercover CIA operative, and find out the truth as to why he has run into yet another bad day.

What was successful for the first four Die Hards was the development of the characters, the villains and their witty schemes. While the plot gives us an interesting idea and a smart twist towards the end, the story is relatively flat and rushed. This may be in part to the 98-minute film length, but it is really the screenwriter's fault. Sure, there is plenty of action, CGI, slow motion, shootings, explosions, etc, but the villains are not strong enough to be despicable nor even be understandable in their motives. Even the interaction between McClane and his son is incredibly weak. At least the writer had some decency to throw in the occasional humorous lines that gives the good guys their charm.

While critics may call this a bad movie, it does not necessarily mean that it is not entertaining. Director John Moore gives the viewer some popcorn loving action sequences that are very well shot, specifically a car chase sequence in which it appears that every other car in Moscow is either wrecked or obliterated. It is worth noting that this is the first Die Hard to be filmed almost entirely hand-held and it gives an impression of a cool action flick. It is never bad to see Bruce Willis on the screening kicking ass either. I cannot say that this is the best Die Hard, but it is not a complete loss either. For my Friday afternoon, it was money well spent.
  52. AR3
    Aug 4, 2013
    Critically speaking, this might sound like a small detail, but I don't think I've ever seen a film before where the music jumped out as so obviously "off" in so many scenes, especially the beginning. Music in a film is not a minor detail... and whoever made some of the final decisions on this one... well... really? Other than that, the movie has a lot going for it if you're not tooCritically speaking, this might sound like a small detail, but I don't think I've ever seen a film before where the music jumped out as so obviously "off" in so many scenes, especially the beginning. Music in a film is not a minor detail... and whoever made some of the final decisions on this one... well... really? Other than that, the movie has a lot going for it if you're not too uptight about a little cheesiness. I get that it isn't quite the writing caliber of the other Die Hards, but it has great action scenes, and plenty of entertainment. Expand
  53. Aug 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well this movie deserves a 5 or a six why? it is to short In the first part of the movie they are in Russia then in the later part of the movie they are in a Power plant or something like that why isn't there more locations in the movie like France or japan? and John McClain's son is so unlikable but there is a lot of action in this movie. Expand
  54. Jun 4, 2013
    "While its barley worthy enough to call itself a "Die Hard" its still not as horrible as it could of been. It suffers from a middling plot, uninspired chemistry & a not-so intriguing premise overall. But nevertheless it was nice seeing John McClane again." C
  55. Oct 31, 2013
    A fairly mediocre action movie. Some action scenes are nice, but we've all seen better by now. The plot ends up going nowhere and is muddled by constantly shoehorning in lame father-son moments. These two don't have the best relationship, we get it. Needless to say because of this there are a lot of cliches in this movie. I'm also disappointed with Jai Courtney in this. After watching himA fairly mediocre action movie. Some action scenes are nice, but we've all seen better by now. The plot ends up going nowhere and is muddled by constantly shoehorning in lame father-son moments. These two don't have the best relationship, we get it. Needless to say because of this there are a lot of cliches in this movie. I'm also disappointed with Jai Courtney in this. After watching him nail it as Varro in Spartacus: Blood and Sand it's painful to see him barely trying here. Bruce Willis does ok but is still nothing to write home about. It's not terribly bad, but there are a lot of better action movies out there. Expand
  56. Feb 23, 2013
    The more I see these official reviews giving bad reviews onto movies and games, then more I avoid them completely: while it's definitely NOT a great movie, it was still ok and at least it wouldn't make me cry in anger unlike another "debatable" movie, who got MUCH BETTER scores but it's much worse in all possible ways, than this ("cough" Twilight Saga"cough"). But I gotta admit, itThe more I see these official reviews giving bad reviews onto movies and games, then more I avoid them completely: while it's definitely NOT a great movie, it was still ok and at least it wouldn't make me cry in anger unlike another "debatable" movie, who got MUCH BETTER scores but it's much worse in all possible ways, than this ("cough" Twilight Saga"cough"). But I gotta admit, it definitely looks bland: the story is almost non-existant, with a very weak twist in the end and a we barely get much development between the main protagonists, without mentioning that (in my version) there were no subtitles in a lot of the scenes where they talk russian, making me literally wait until it was over (if you had, then don't bother with this statement). While the story and dialogues were bland, the actions scenes however were very good and were enjoyable, even though nothing extreme but still gave a good amount of destruction on screen, with a "good" finisher in the end for the bad guy. Nothing special...but yeah, in comparison to the original movies (although I think Live or Die hard was decent), it was really bland and really forgettable. Would I suggest it? Not really, but if you have nothing better to watch you might enjoy some mindless destruction and action. Skippable, but not terrible either. Expand
  57. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As Die Hard fan, I'm truly disappointed with this installment. I don't care with critics said give this underrated.
    I'm still like Mac Clane with his joke, how his way shooting people and so on. But this movie is too short and the other way the closing scene is too long. Maybe Len Wiseman is not good director, but I'm satisfied with him how he directed DH 4. But John Moore is worst director and fail direct this.
    To many replay scenes: Mercy from highway (DH3), bad guy fall from building (DH 1), make this movie not worth to watch.
    As DH fan I'm very sad with this not good movie and don't know how to score it, because I'm still like Mac Clane.
    Not good Yippee Kai Yay Mother****** anymore.
  58. Feb 16, 2013
    I think this is how the concept of the movie was developed: "hey guys we need a shoot-em up action movie for some quick cash. Let's just make a ton of guns and explosions, make some nukes and uranium, have bruce willis play a guy from a good movie, and call it Die Hard". No thought was put in the story. In fact, there pretty much was no story. It has nothing to with the other previous andI think this is how the concept of the movie was developed: "hey guys we need a shoot-em up action movie for some quick cash. Let's just make a ton of guns and explosions, make some nukes and uranium, have bruce willis play a guy from a good movie, and call it Die Hard". No thought was put in the story. In fact, there pretty much was no story. It has nothing to with the other previous and decent movies of the same name. However, the action was alright and the movie didn't drag so it is passable. Expand
  59. Mar 29, 2013
    I was expecting this movie just like any other die hard series, but unfortunately it's a complete let down and it's incredibly nothing like the others. Fresh idea for die hard series that will make this rubbish a memorable one for me.

I won't lie that the explosions and the FXs were good, but the storyline was lame and somehow boring! I wasted my money to watch this on the big screen

I wasted my money to watch this on the big screen without checking the viewer ratings, it's my fault. On the other hand, i took the risk to watch "The Host" even though i knew the ratings was bad, but i found it much more enjoyable than die hard 5.
  60. Feb 17, 2013
    I mean: It's still a Die Hard wih mindblowing action and still Bruce Willis, contributing a reasonable performance, but the quality of the film can't satisfy the high expectations of all the fans of the franchise. It is half an hour shorter, much more explosive and senseless than all the other Die Hards. There are no motifs, no emotions or any kind of coolness in there. And the worstI mean: It's still a Die Hard wih mindblowing action and still Bruce Willis, contributing a reasonable performance, but the quality of the film can't satisfy the high expectations of all the fans of the franchise. It is half an hour shorter, much more explosive and senseless than all the other Die Hards. There are no motifs, no emotions or any kind of coolness in there. And the worst thing: it isn't a Bruce-Willis-Show as a Die Hard has to be but a soft Lethal Weapon like collaboration between John and his son Jack, which just makes it feel wrong. Expand
  61. Feb 14, 2013
    If you want to have a good memory of the Die Hard franchise, do not watch it. If you want to spend money, go to the theatre. This movie is an ordinary action movie with awesome characters.
  62. Feb 23, 2013
    Remember to place your expectations appropriately the previous Die Hard films have been released in order of quality. This movie follows its expected design and doesn’t falter in regards to FXs, action, cinematography, or direction. Give this film the same chance and patients as you would a James Bond movie and you’ll be content.
  63. Feb 14, 2013
    It really pains me to say this, but A Good Day to Die Hard is a muddled, occasionally frustrating affair. As good as Bruce Willis continues to be as John McClane, and as fun as the action sequences are, it clashes with ugly cinematography, an unremarkable premise, and a VERY vanilla performance by Jai Courtney, with Willis often having to be pushed to the back. As it stands it's an okayIt really pains me to say this, but A Good Day to Die Hard is a muddled, occasionally frustrating affair. As good as Bruce Willis continues to be as John McClane, and as fun as the action sequences are, it clashes with ugly cinematography, an unremarkable premise, and a VERY vanilla performance by Jai Courtney, with Willis often having to be pushed to the back. As it stands it's an okay action film, but it's the weak link in the Die Hard chain. Expand
  64. Feb 14, 2013
    A good day to puke hard........ WORST DIE HARD SEQUEL EVER!!!!! IAM sorry to say this mr Moore but your movie sucks like HELLLLL! It starts off and then in 20 min of the film there is no John MacLaine but I gave it time... 40 min...... No John MacLaine and then 50 min in the movie he comes as a cop nobody knows? I mean he's kickass he's not old yet!!!!!!!!? I really hardly think that mrA good day to puke hard........ WORST DIE HARD SEQUEL EVER!!!!! IAM sorry to say this mr Moore but your movie sucks like HELLLLL! It starts off and then in 20 min of the film there is no John MacLaine but I gave it time... 40 min...... No John MacLaine and then 50 min in the movie he comes as a cop nobody knows? I mean he's kickass he's not old yet!!!!!!!!? I really hardly think that mr mctirnan was better at this film. So better. I mean like this cop is nothing it's just Bruce Willis!!!! But 5 is for the action that was balanced throughout the film, I mean Jai countery was good with Sebastian Koch, just those two people kicked ass. I punk ed throughout the father and son so called scenes. Only 5 because of Jai and Sebastian and some of the action. Otherwise 1 or 0 Expand
  65. Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately the film fails to deliver. From Die Hard you expect McLane in a bloody tank top being kicked and mauled and still moving on and kicking ass, whereas here the kicking is replaced by fancy scenes with lots of effects and not much substance, it doesn't deliver the classic badassery that we've got used to, you know, like him walking in the toilet and pulling glasses out of hisUnfortunately the film fails to deliver. From Die Hard you expect McLane in a bloody tank top being kicked and mauled and still moving on and kicking ass, whereas here the kicking is replaced by fancy scenes with lots of effects and not much substance, it doesn't deliver the classic badassery that we've got used to, you know, like him walking in the toilet and pulling glasses out of his feet, wrap them up and get back in the game, Willis is probably just getting too old for it.

It also fails with all the father son issue, there are nice gags, it's a nice excuse to get him into Moscow, but aside from that there is no depth to it.

I still believe is worth the cinema ticket and the popcorn, especially if for any reason you haven't watched the older ones that won't disappoint you, but as an old fan of the franchise this film made me sad.
  66. Feb 26, 2013
    The Movie will leave you questioning if this movie was good or bad and for the first time a die hard film is not about our title character instead most of the story follows his son on their adventure in moscow while the plot is easy to follow and the action is not bad i felt the writing was good for bruce willis as he had a good performance and was funny from time to time while everybodyThe Movie will leave you questioning if this movie was good or bad and for the first time a die hard film is not about our title character instead most of the story follows his son on their adventure in moscow while the plot is easy to follow and the action is not bad i felt the writing was good for bruce willis as he had a good performance and was funny from time to time while everybody else just tried to follow in his footsteps and try to give good performances Expand
  67. Apr 22, 2013
    I really wanted this one to be a great "Die Hard" film. I wanted it to be just like "Live Free or Die Hard". But instead, this is what we get. I'm not saying this movie was pure crap, but I honestly think it could have been done better. When I first heard that John Moore was going to directing, I had to search him up and see if his other movies were good. Turns out they weren't good atI really wanted this one to be a great "Die Hard" film. I wanted it to be just like "Live Free or Die Hard". But instead, this is what we get. I'm not saying this movie was pure crap, but I honestly think it could have been done better. When I first heard that John Moore was going to directing, I had to search him up and see if his other movies were good. Turns out they weren't good at all, but i still decided to give this one a shot. Yet, i was wrong. "A Good Day to Die Hard" is a muffled action movie that just goes all over the place. Bruce Willis doesn't even act like John McClane in this one. John just wasn't in this movie. But the chemistry between Jai (Jack) and Bruce (John) somewhat turned out alright. But with the other distractions like trying to figure out who the real villan was just drove me up a wall. It didn't capture a good villan. It captured too many other villans that it was hard to find the actually villan. I was really expecting something like a good "Alan Rickman" or "Jeremy Irons" or even "Timothy Olyphant". None of that was there. The movie does have some good action though, other than that, the story's just a mess. Overall, it's a dissapointing Die Hard movie. Expand
  68. Apr 9, 2013
    This film simply did not feel like a Die Hard movie... where was John McClain?? all I saw was Bruce Willis walking from explosions in slow motion. Hope they maybe cut down on making Die Hard movies as its killing the action legacy that the first filmleft
  69. Feb 26, 2015
    There must be a record for the number of cars smashed up in this movie. Lame plot and well, did I mention the cars. Plot twist that doesn't go anywhere except suddenly the movie is over.
  70. Nov 25, 2013
    This is a generic action movie where one impossible situation is followed by another and the name ‘Die Hard’ is used to increase profits. Willis looks tired, the father-son relationship is meaningless (we’ve seen the same thing a thousand times before), the plot is silly and poorly developed (a small war is waged in Moscow but no authorities intervene) and it is unclear who the protagonistThis is a generic action movie where one impossible situation is followed by another and the name ‘Die Hard’ is used to increase profits. Willis looks tired, the father-son relationship is meaningless (we’ve seen the same thing a thousand times before), the plot is silly and poorly developed (a small war is waged in Moscow but no authorities intervene) and it is unclear who the protagonist is, McClane or his son. The action scenes are well-directed though and Yuliya Snigir is beautiful.
    argonautis.eu
  71. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, let me say I am a huge Die Hard fan. I really expected this movie to be good, and thought the trailer was decent enough. So i went and saw it. Big mistake.

This movie is a not a Die Hard movie. It has no Die Hard qualities to it. The other movies had small, compact spaces; one or two locations (the 3rd one is an exception);cat-and-mouse games;evil villains who added suspense and character to the story; of this movie had none of those things.

For example, it took place in so many locations. We move from a house to a ballroom to Chernobyl (which McClane and his son get to pretty fast considering they're driving from Moscow to Ukraine). Also, this movie had very little storyline. We go from John Jr. hating his father to loving him in a matter of minutes. And also, why couldn't John call for CIA backup once they were out of harm's way? It doesn't make sense. Plus, a plethora of Bruce Willis/John McClane one liners did not save this movie's script from crashing and burning. "Let's go kill some motherf***ers." Really? Couldn't come up with anything better? On a brighter note, the action was there, but pervasive and shoot-em-up. John Moore, being a typical 21st century quick, fast shot director, decides to have fast frames to the point where we don't even know what's happening. I also liked the plot twist at the climax, and how they brought back some clichés from the first movie **SPOILER** (With the main villain falling from a helicopter, similar to hands Gruber falling from the building) **END SPOILER** and others. But overall, this was a generic action movie that didn't have a well-developed story line or characters. It used action movie clichés and fast shots to show the violence and chases, something not very liked. I wouldn't be surprised if this movie was constructed first and then the Die Hard name lent itself to it.
  72. Feb 18, 2013
    It seems like the concept of the father and son relationship could have worked. However, when you have garbage filmmakers (director, screenwriter, composer, editor, etc.) involved, it's bound to be a mess... I'm a Die Hard fan, and it's a shame they let this happen. Still not on the level of crap as Indy 4 or the Star Wars prequels... but definitely a bad movie. Word of advise if you planIt seems like the concept of the father and son relationship could have worked. However, when you have garbage filmmakers (director, screenwriter, composer, editor, etc.) involved, it's bound to be a mess... I'm a Die Hard fan, and it's a shame they let this happen. Still not on the level of crap as Indy 4 or the Star Wars prequels... but definitely a bad movie. Word of advise if you plan to make another Die Hard film... get a good actor for the villain (i.e. Alan Rickman, Jeremy Irons, Timothy Olyphant) that actually has a clearly defined motive. Expand
  73. Nov 4, 2013
    This was horrible. I've not seen any of the previous Die Hard films, but I can tell you that "A Good Day to Die Hard" is simply not good. The whole movie is filled with loud, noisy and underplotted storytelling.
  74. Feb 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Why did McClain SR keep on saying he is on vacation?. Worst one liner ever! He was not on vacation he was there to find his son who was supposedly facing live in prison with harry dudes or worse yet the death chamber. If that is a vacation I have some Carnival Cruise tickets I could give him. This movie blows with its feeble attempt to pass on the torch to Jr, and its horrible set pieces. I mean how many times are they going to show the front of the Chernobyl plant with the construction scooper backing up and pulling forward but never actually doing anything. The son falls into a swimming pool under an enclosed roof that has been abandoned for 35 years and guess what, its full of water.. Rain water my ass!!!! This movie is about the quality of the last Indiana Jones film and should bring the franchise to a close with a whimper. Expand
  75. Feb 20, 2013
    An excitable mess of violence and action that Die Hard has always been known for, yet poor direction from John Moore (not for the first time) and a meagre plot, coupled with the generic acting of action hero Jai Courtney, make A Good Die to Just Die Altogether little more than an alright action film. Bruce Willis' iconoclast role as John McClane gently pushes the film into the realm ofAn excitable mess of violence and action that Die Hard has always been known for, yet poor direction from John Moore (not for the first time) and a meagre plot, coupled with the generic acting of action hero Jai Courtney, make A Good Die to Just Die Altogether little more than an alright action film. Bruce Willis' iconoclast role as John McClane gently pushes the film into the realm of average, yet without him this film would be very weak, and regardless is already the poorest of the Die Hard franchise. Expand
  76. Feb 16, 2013
    Let's start off by saying that I am not a huge Die Hard fan but I have always enjoyed the movies and there is something about the character of John Mcclane that is just fun to watch. That was my sole expectation. The only thing I was looking forward to, was action sequences mixed with a great sense of humor. I am an avid movie goer and even found a few things to like about Die Hard 4 butLet's start off by saying that I am not a huge Die Hard fan but I have always enjoyed the movies and there is something about the character of John Mcclane that is just fun to watch. That was my sole expectation. The only thing I was looking forward to, was action sequences mixed with a great sense of humor. I am an avid movie goer and even found a few things to like about Die Hard 4 but this installment is simply a very very bad movie.

The first third of the movie is a catastrophe, story-telling wise. The editing is confusing and what was meant to bring out a smile from the audience (dialogue in cab) falls flat big time and left everyone cold.
    The action scene involving a car chase and lots of (LOOOOTS OF) crashes fail to impress because the cinematography leaves much to be desired.

The biggest issue with this movie is, that you never ever care about the action on screen. No one is ever in real peril and everyone is having a fun time,jumping down from buildings and killing lots of dudes. There is nothing inherently wrong with a movie like that but this is Die Hard and Die Hard movies used to be about something, some danger that threatens a building, airport, city etc. There was a threat and Mcclane needed to solve it. That was why we were rooting for him. Before heading to the theater, I read all the negative reviews I thought "doesn't matter, it has action scenes and that is enough for me". Now I know for sure, it definetely isn't enough. It simply isn't worth seeing it on the big screen. Save the money and watch it in a year or two on Netflix, I promise you will not regret it.
  77. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's interesting to make a movie without obviously having any script. In A Good Day to Die Hard" you have got 100 minutes of pure destruction and action. Bruce Willis gives his best to play John McClane once more and his "opponent" Sebastian Koch as Komarov also did very well but the other actors are just not good enough. The cinematography is partially quite interesting but sometimes too bad to look at. Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2013
    A Good Day to Die Hard suffers from a slew of problems. Poor pacing, poor camera work at times, a weak dynamic between the two main protagonists, a b-movie plot, and at the end of the day it just simply didn't feel like a Die Hard movie.
  79. Mar 20, 2013
    I wanted so hard to be able to say that I LOVE this one. However, the only thing I do love is the son. The face, the smile, the figure.^-^ What has happened, the fun is still there and the action... They just managed to make 98mins like forever. It just never stop. Die Hard? However about just stop and breath for once.
  80. Apr 10, 2013
    Action, Action, Action... fun movie nothing unexpected and sort of predictable, yet entertaining. I can truly say that John McClane is living up to the title... This series has yet to Die, hence its title DIE HARD.
  81. Apr 25, 2013
    I was pretty dissapointed with this movie. I absolutely loved Die Hard 4.0, and had high hopes that this one would be just as exciting and enjoyable, but it really wasn't. It's missing things that the last movie had like a solid villain, a clear threat, an interesting setting and real stakes to be fighting for. I mean the last movie involved John essentially saving the entire US from cyberI was pretty dissapointed with this movie. I absolutely loved Die Hard 4.0, and had high hopes that this one would be just as exciting and enjoyable, but it really wasn't. It's missing things that the last movie had like a solid villain, a clear threat, an interesting setting and real stakes to be fighting for. I mean the last movie involved John essentially saving the entire US from cyber terrorists, whereas here they seem to be fighting for an office block in freaking Chernobyl.
    I had no investment in anyone and while one or two action sequences were cool, they don't match up to the ones in 4. Really dissapointing.
  82. Aug 26, 2014
    This movie was borderline disappointing. Of course, there was explosions and car chasing like any typical Bruce Willis movie but I felt that this movie did not live up to it's expectations.
  83. Feb 14, 2013
    If there's one thing I can stand, it's when there are great shots or great lines in the trailer, and when you see the movie, those lines aren't in it or the shots didn't make it. Let me cut to the chase. In the trailer, a leathered-up hottie rides her motorcycle into a garage, she unzips her bodysuit, and she she's left with a black bikini-looking thing. IT"S NOT in the MOVIE. ThatIf there's one thing I can stand, it's when there are great shots or great lines in the trailer, and when you see the movie, those lines aren't in it or the shots didn't make it. Let me cut to the chase. In the trailer, a leathered-up hottie rides her motorcycle into a garage, she unzips her bodysuit, and she she's left with a black bikini-looking thing. IT"S NOT in the MOVIE. That really sucks. And the line where Willis says, "My boy and I are gonna lay a whoopin' on you" isn't in the movie either. Too bad. It's by far the worst Die Hard. Expand
  84. Jul 14, 2013
    About a decade ago, Bruce Willis appeared on a late night talk show (Letterman?) and proclaimed that he wasn't doing any more Die Hards because 'there are only so many ways you can run down the street with a gun, screaming.' He really should have stuck with that.

As much as I love watching Bruce and as much as Die Hard has to offer, there's just nothing left of the original in this one it's as much of a milking-the-box-office exercise as I've ever seen in my life. What a waste.
  85. Feb 15, 2013
    I loved Live Free or Die Hard and when I heard about this one I was stoked, but when I saw it, I was very disappointed. It was very unoriginal and it lacked truly amazing action. Also, without spoiling anything, there was WAY TOO MANY betrayals and plot holes for the story to be remotely enjoyable.
  86. Mar 2, 2013
    Save your time, don’t watch this film. I read a review somewhere that this film is a bad version of Die Hard 4 fan fiction, that means it is even worse than the previous instalment. I have no idea why Bruce Willis keeps doing these action roles when especially now, his body doesn’t allow him to do that. Of course, he can do whatever he want but he should, at least, reconsider beforeSave your time, don’t watch this film. I read a review somewhere that this film is a bad version of Die Hard 4 fan fiction, that means it is even worse than the previous instalment. I have no idea why Bruce Willis keeps doing these action roles when especially now, his body doesn’t allow him to do that. Of course, he can do whatever he want but he should, at least, reconsider before committing to roles like these. The film lacks good sense of direction and sufficient characterizaion, the action sequences aren’t so good either. It doesn’t offer that witty writing plot and great characters which Die Hard 1 did. All these factors make this film a waste of time, to some extent. Final Verdict: Never watch it. NEVER!! If you wanna waste your time, then go ahead, nobody’s stopping you. Expand
  87. Feb 17, 2013
    Unfortunately worse than it's prequel, this iteration of the Die Hard series just serves to show how far the series has fallen. Courtney was a surprise, in not being as bad as expected, but the rest of the movie was nonsensical to the extreme and badly acted. The story was passable at best (save perhaps for a twist round the middle of the movie, which is disappointingly resolved) and theUnfortunately worse than it's prequel, this iteration of the Die Hard series just serves to show how far the series has fallen. Courtney was a surprise, in not being as bad as expected, but the rest of the movie was nonsensical to the extreme and badly acted. The story was passable at best (save perhaps for a twist round the middle of the movie, which is disappointingly resolved) and the action pieces were over-the-top when they should have been subtle and slow when they should have been over-the-top. All-in-all, I felt like I would have felt better about the franchise not having seen this last entry. Expand
  88. Oct 12, 2013
    If you watch it with friends (like I did) then it's hilarious but otherwise it's a piece of crap and shouldn't be viewed by anyone for any reason. Should've been called Fail Hard (sorry I couldn't resist)
  89. May 28, 2013
    Making a good action movie is challenging because it requires continuity between the storyline with the action scenes--appearing balanced, maximizing the level of excitement while providing some credibility to the plot. Despite using the formula that has worked so well time and time again, the end result is truly disappointing--easily the worst installment: loud, mindless, and an utterlyMaking a good action movie is challenging because it requires continuity between the storyline with the action scenes--appearing balanced, maximizing the level of excitement while providing some credibility to the plot. Despite using the formula that has worked so well time and time again, the end result is truly disappointing--easily the worst installment: loud, mindless, and an utterly uninspiring. The fifth chapter in this on-going franchise is dead on arrival.

Bruce Willis returns to his iconic role, (and mind you, he will again), and this time around, McClane is in the wrong place at the wrong time--again--after traveling to Moscow to help his estranged son Jack. Bruce has no idea that Jack is really a highly trained CIA operative, whose mission is to stop a nuclear weapons heist. With the Russian underworld in pursuit, and battling a countdown to war, the two McLane's discover that their opposing methods make them the ultimate two-person army.

Willis is not the reason this fails so miserably. A weak script written by Skip Woods containing numerous problems, and poor directing and direction by John Moore ("Max Payne" (2008), "The Omen" (2006)). Woods' limited filmography contains nothing surpassing mediocrity, and this display is further proof of just that. To compound the on-going script issues, the very premise in itself doesn't hold a shred of credibility. There are continuous sequences of explosions, carnage, and utter destruction surrounding the Russian capital, and yet there is never any sign of any law enforcement or government involvement what so ever. It's an action film for sheer entertainment purposes--I get it--and people like explosions, but come on.

The chemistry between the characters and story line lacks development due to the limited time to actually speak, and when they do you wish they weren’t. What really takes the cake is when John's nemesis Alik (Rasha Bukvic), talks about how he used to be a pretty good tap dancer whom no one appreciated. Ironically, what passes as John McClane's wise cracks is anything but humorous. Most of McLane's lines are in the context of his father-son relationship with Jack (Jai Courtney), but are hardly witty or engaging. They are also frustratingly repetitive, consisting of John lamenting how Jack rarely shows him any respect as a father, or John lamenting how he had expected no more than a vacation in Moscow.

Despite the frenetic pacing in a compact 97 minutes-the abundance of action is staged so unimaginatively that it fails to even interest, let alone excite you. A missed opportunity to possibly lead the franchise into a new direction: John passing the baton to his son, a CIA operative is never considered. Ultimately, just another big budget action movie dumped into middle of February that will score big in the box office, and as a result "A Good Day To Die Hard" will have another tomorrow.
  90. Feb 16, 2013
    I love the die hard movies. They are usually on the cutting edge of new action movies combined with a classic romanticist age character, but this one fell flat. It did not have a good story that didn't really make sense and people just would die for no reason. It was just... crap.
  91. Feb 22, 2013
    I was at first angry and outraged and rightly so with the decision to hack the said material to shreds and produce a 12a certificate but even without comparison and heavy scrutiny, a good day to die hard just doesn't even work as a stand alone action film. These executive commercial decisions for financial gain are becoming all too frequent.
    Despite one or two in-jokes, Bruce Willis's
    Despite one or two in-jokes, Bruce Willis's everyman tough guy may aswell have been called John Major or any other name, such has the iconic role of John MClane and what he stands for has seemingly slipped away. What remains is a questionably stylish old man with a gun and a few half-hearted one liners.
    So why two and a half stars you may ask?(the chase sequence gets a star all on its own). In the confines of an action movie there has and will be worse. You just have to look at the bargain bins in your local supermarkets to see all the Seagal and Lundgren films to know that. The action, though sillier and less plausible as it goes on, is well handled and a 15 minute vehicular car chase is brilliantly spectacular and a raid by the woeful bad guys on a safehouse provides an injection of tension and jeapordy but is extremely shortlived. It is what surrounds these brief moments of entertainment that lacks engagement with the audience. The father son bonding is crass, predictable and cringe-worthy and the main bad dude makes Die Hard 4's cyber terrorist look like Hitler. Despite the ood moment of fun this just lacks the principles that made the others, especially the first three, more than just action movies. Better than being caught with your pants down right?...no, not really!
  92. Feb 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Review A good day to Die Hard
    Bearded Russian (Nijinsky that what John McClane calls him later) is playing chess in a glass cell, obviously very intellectual, well he is playing chess on his own, is threatened by another Russian in a really smart suit. Young tough looking Russian or so you think, goes into night club, shots and wounds this guy who is a friend of the Intellect. He gets caught and does a deal with dodgy looking secret service Russian guy, the one you think is Russian. He ends up on same trail as the Intellect, in the meantime John McClane has a very detailed conversion with a guy from the FBI after shooting load of bullets into paper. Turns out the Russian guy who shoots the Intellect's friend is his son Jack McClane and they don’t get on.
    So off we go Moscow, lots of tension as people who look dangerous talk over various devices and cars are checked for bombs. Court room blows up and John can’t believe it happens again where ever he goes there is trouble. His son escapes with Intellect, and just as he tries to get away John is there in front of his getaway van. “Hey why don’t you write” and that type of thing which causes a problem for him, as he is secretly working for CIA and is not a Russian hood (didn’t see that coming). Nasty people are really shooting a lot of bullets at then by the way, but John wants to talk, by the way who is you friend (the Russian Intellect).
    Then a fantastic car chase through Moscow, cars and a good bit of the city motorway infrastructure are really damaged. Innocent Russian city drivers having the crap knocked out of them by this massive armoured truck. One guy had only popped out to get some Then John gets up and shouts at the evil guy who has been chasing him and his son separately in the massive armoured truck, and teases him (not really called for). Son has a change of heart and goes back to help John get out of car he has totalled and after he has been rude to evil Russian gun man.
    They now run to the safe house which the evil people know about and shoot it all up. They all manage to escape and get the Intellect to meet up with daughter in an empty classy restaurant but it’s a trap, she double crosses her dad, the Intellect. The evil guy that John Mclean was rude to gets his own back on him by doing some dancing and hits John and his son. They get out of this, don’t want to spoil it by telling you, and suffice to say it keeps you on a knife edge. Lots of glass falling as well. Then they jump out of a building and slide down the shute that builders use to throw rubble down, that’s looks like fun (I could see that as a ride at one of the Disney parks). Luckily missing shots being fired from a helicopter, God the tension!
    Then there is great line of dialogue, o yeah there is dialogue as well, John gets Chernobyl mixed up with Grenoble in Switzerland, deliberately, makes Jack (John’s son) smile, but he really wants to laugh. You know how dads can sometime just be so silly and crazy.
    They all turn up at Grenbolbe sorry Chernobyl, it was just a cracking line, can’t seem to let it go. John and Jack aren’t worried about radiation, whilst the evil people are all dolled up in protective clothing, really sissies. Turns out the daughter and the Intellect have a triple bluff and have been working together all the time, and he is also evil, God you just don’t know who to trust. Anyway big shot up everyone dies except John and Jack, and those words you have been waiting for throughout the film are finally uttered by Jack “Dad, wherefore art thou”, they just fell into an old swimming pool. You see he keeps calling him John throughout the movie which is very disrespectful to your father, especially if his name isn’t John, you could confuse your dad with things like that.
    Final scene they land at a small airport and John’s daughter there to meet him and Jack can’t hear what they say, but I imagine it is very deep and meaningful. About the times he regrets killing scum bags but making the world safer, probably best if we didn’t hear this dialogue because it would just have become to wordy like Lincoln.
  93. Oct 8, 2013
    Another action movie franchise based on overexploited. Bruce Willis is in his role, it is not surprising. The only surprise is how well he is for his age he has.
  94. Aug 12, 2013
    this is more like a Bad Day to Die Easy. This is a film so choppy, so poorly edited, so poorly paced, and so horribly unnecessary that its a crime to watch. Now, I was looking forward to this movie before it came out. I am a relative fan of Die Hard so it was no surprise that I was excited for this one. However, the movie feels like the writer had watched the Bourne Supremacy and Hitmanthis is more like a Bad Day to Die Easy. This is a film so choppy, so poorly edited, so poorly paced, and so horribly unnecessary that its a crime to watch. Now, I was looking forward to this movie before it came out. I am a relative fan of Die Hard so it was no surprise that I was excited for this one. However, the movie feels like the writer had watched the Bourne Supremacy and Hitman too much (he actually wrote hitman) and felt that Moscow needed more explosions and John Mclane. I have no clue why Fox had this guy right the fifth die hard movie. IT DOESN'T EVEN FEEL LIKE A DIE HARD MOVIE. The only thing that comes close is the soundtrack and Mclane's famous catch fraze. A good day to die hard lacks a huge element-John Mclane. He has no reason being there whatsoever in this pointless and confusing plot. I mean HOW??? How could Fox do this to a franchise? I mean i could understand if this franchise was like the Resident Evil series and they pumped out a lackluster action thriller, but this is DIE HARD. The villain sucks in this movie, you never really find out what their motives are or their cause all you get is them shooting up buildings and chasing some russian scientist. The action is tensionless, a lot of explodes and cars fly but you don't care really. In the end A good day to die hard is a waste of time, money and potiential. I'm sure this seals the funeral for the franchise. Shame. Mclane deserved more. Expand
  95. Feb 2, 2014
    A Good Day to Die Hard boasts huge (though overlong) action sequences but that does not cover up for it's stupid script and forced father son relationship.
  96. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    What a god awful Die Hard sequel. If I have to watch it a second time I'm going to die hard it was that terrible. I'd say "in my opinion" but I just can't, because millions think the same.
  97. Nov 10, 2014
  98. Jun 21, 2013
    A disappointment in every level imaginable. It reminded me of the other film Willis made with another on screen son 'Cold Light of Day' only worse. A good day to call it a day.
    Feb 14, 2013
    A Bad Film to Watch is Hard.
    Avoid this one at all costs! Honestly, watch the original, and forget the rest. The reason that this franchise has gone on for this long(other than money) is beyond me.

1. Reviewed by: Laremy Legel
    Feb 26, 2013
    The entire enterprise is a bewildering mess, put in place only to frustrate and alienate anyone who buys a ticket. Every action scene is telegraphed, and most of the dialogue is irrevocably stupid.
  2. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Feb 18, 2013
    I hesitate to ask, but did anyone actually tell McClane, before he arrived, that the Cold War is over?
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Morgenstern
    Feb 16, 2013
    For anyone who remembers the "Die Hard" adventures at their vital and exciting best, this film feels like a near-death experience.