A Little Help

1. Nov 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Started slow but built up some steam. Dialogue is spot on, making me remember things I wished I had and had not done. The LIE is the biggest parking lot in the US. Mom & son (Fischer & Yelsky) acted perfectly although other characters a bit over the top. I was rooting for this little family to make it; the ending makes me hope they do. O'Donnell role silly and poorly done but I guess they wanted a name to help promote the film. Warren looks great, though underused, but smartly. Liebman looks ill. Smith character a stereotype but makes the point. Lastly Paul, (Benedict) is the dad I tried to be, with the same misgivings about my youth. Well worth a look. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2014
    Jenna Fischer is a wonderful actress. Nevertheless, A Little Help is a tad bit too depressing for the girl we know and love from The Office. There's little purpose surrounding the near-constant depression of the flick--how is that entertaining?

1. Reviewed by: Amy Biancolli
    Jul 28, 2011
    Some of the film is imaginatively put together. But the melodrama feels forced - manipulated by filmmakers hell-bent on teaching its main character a lesson or two about life and the need to seize it.
  2. Reviewed by: Calvin Wilson
    Jul 28, 2011
    Smith turns in a subtly layered performance that suggests the hurt behind Kathy's callousness. And O'Donnell gets to the heart of a man who realizes too late that he's made unfortunate choices.
  3. Reviewed by: Wesley Morris
    Jul 28, 2011
    It's not that Jenna Fischer is miscast in A Little Help. It's that she's mis-everything else: misused, misdirected, misanthropic.