8.3

1. Jul 14, 2014
    Nightmare on elm street has everything a horror fan could want. The actors are good, the plot is unique
    and the movie is intensely scary. Freddy Kruger is one of the most iconic horror movie villains. He is
    as recognizable as Michael Meyers, Chucky, The Exorcist, Nicholson from The Shining and Pinhead
    from Hellraiser. Nightmare is a horror classic that set the bar for genuine terror.
  2. Jul 1, 2014
    This film is the ultimate horror experience for me. The settings are memorable and Robert Englund's performance as Freddy Krueger is legendary. The pacing is relentless in its intensity, it never lets go and still keeps lingering for a long time after you've watched the movie.

Strong lead characters, Heather Langenkamp and Johnny Depp were a good pairing, and the supporting characters
    weren't just bland figures in the background. You actually felt the loss of the characters. They certainly have more depth to them than the stereotypical horror film teenagers.

The premise of this story holds together well, and the apparent symbolism isn't completely hidden from you.

Freddy Krueger's character was ill-defined, but intentionally. You can feel Englund's presence as he chases the kids through terrifyingly imaginative dream sequances. Wes Craven truly is one talented director, although he does have the occasional brain fart (The Hills Have Eyes, part 2).

This film spawned my love for cinema. I definitely recommend it.
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    Nightmare is one of the smartest, spookiest horror movies ever made, When Wes Craven made this in 1984, the budget was less than 5 million dollars. However the movie looks like it was made for 25-30 million. The special effects look costly but they were inexpensive. This movie set the bar for horror chills in 84 and few movies have been able to touch it since. Some movies on the same level as nightmare are Saw, Scream 1, 2 and 3, Stir Of Echoes, Orphan, American Psycho, Shallow Grave, The Lost Boys, Fright Night, Child's Play, 976-Evil and Drag Me To Hell, nightmare is a timeless classic. Expand
  4. Apr 11, 2014
    as i was watching i was completely bored well some parts i got bored . but i got really entertained when things got juicy . " Nightmare of elm street rocks . Robert Enguland is a kick ass nightmare killer . Grade A+
    P.s i cant wait to watch nightmare of elm street 2
  5. Oct 29, 2013
    The natural function of sleeping and dreaming happens to be reserved for this chilling rather than outright terrifying classic. Being 1984, I could expect that the sound quality and the special effects were to be cheap and crackly. However, it was less of my concern that this lack of gloss only helped to provide an authentic, unsettling atmosphere. What my main concern was was the mismatch of music when it played during the chase scenes, which only served to sadly detract from what it was trying to achieve.
    Freddy Krueger's appearance and personality personifies the imagination and fear of the unknown in which elements of suspense become just as important as its part in the slasher genre. His scarred face, fedora, striped red and green jumper and all too well known gloves with knives serve to bring to life a standout, recognisable performance whereby he represents a villain that borders on dreams and reality with a maybe awkward inability by the film's main protagonists to distinguish the bridge when it comes to survival.
    By using a vital part of everyday life, Freddy's actions have just as much effect on reality as they do in the dreamworld. Safety is immediately compromised when we are at our most vulnerable, so it isn't enough to claim that 'this is a dream, it isn't real', of which it brings a whole new meaning to.
  6. Jul 26, 2013
    A Nightmare on Elm Street is one of the greatest horror films ever made, and to this day its title character, Freddy, is one of the most commercialized figures in all of film. Is it one of the scariest movies ever made, absolutely not, but for 1984 it was truly groundbreaking. A Nightmare on Elm Street helped put the slasher genre on the forefront, and after its release the world never quite looked at scary movies the same. This film proved that Wes Craven was a master of horror, launched Johnny Depp's career, and established Englund's career making role. For those interested in the horror genre A Nightmare on Elm street is a must see. Expand
  7. Jul 20, 2013
    A Nightmare on Elm Street is really creepy and masterful with inventive and original ideas. The visual effects are amazing, first rate intense ideas. The plot is horrifying and scary as hell, with twists and thrills that you will stay with you for a long time. The acting is above mediocre but not perfect. Overall, it is funny, scary and great.
  8. Apr 10, 2013
    This is my favorite film. There are all i need...
    This is most horrible film ever. I always loved this one. Characters have very emotional role. Plot is very original. Horror may be just call horror, but A Nightmare on Elm Street is realy scary.
  9. Jul 2, 2012
    Freddy Krueger... Brilliant and unique to the world of horror. My favourite horror character of all time; with his corny lines, freakish background before he becomes the monster we love and he is just fabulous (as well as the brilliant actors that played him).
  10. Apr 5, 2012
    A classic...it will never age! A milestone in the horror genre, that is for sure! There is much to love and nothing to hate about this film (well, we hate Freddy, but we love the idea that he is there, otherwise we wouldn't have had this movie!!! ;) ). Nowadays, there are not many horror movies that can compare to this one...very, very few!
  11. Aug 19, 2011
    A Nightmre On Elm Street Takes you into a new Relam of Horror with The Iconic Freddy Kruger and This movie truly Represents a Living Nightmare. Freddy Kills Each of his victums in a painful way and They cant do anything about it because its in thier dreams. After Seeing this Movie you may never Want to go Back To Sleep
  12. Jul 22, 2011
    I love every bit of this picture. This is not only a masterpiece of horror cinema, but a masterpiece of indie cinema. Whether you're a budding filmmaker, a horror-freak, or both (I happen to be both), this film is a must-see.
  13. Jul 21, 2011
    I love this movie, bought the Blu-Ray and it's still amazing. The story's really good, I think. A girl is haunted by nightmares and after a short while she gets killed in a really gruesome way, well, gruesome for the 80's, but still sick. Then the next girl, Nancy, is haunted, like all of her friends, which one by one get killed. Freddy Krueger might just be one of the creepiest guys you'll ever see in a movie. He also has the most awesome weapon, I mean, c'mon, who can beat a glove with knifes as fingers? I am still really impressed with the facial effects of Freddy. That mask put on Robert Englund's face really makes Krueger a believable, as far as a nightmare murderer can be believable.
    So, if you're looking for an awesome horror movie, even if it's old, this one's for you.
    Little advise: Don't watch this before you go to sleep. This movie still freaks me out, even if I watched it like 8 times.

I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy!
    -Freddy Krueger
  14. May 3, 2011
    A great horror film the best one ever better than the remake but not by much great i loved this movie the acting was great and introducing Johnny Depp wow great movie and i cant tell you how much better this is than friday the 13th
  15. Oct 22, 2010
    I'm going to go ahead and say that A Nightmare on Elmstreet puts most modern horror movies to shame. A lack of original ideas had destroyed the horror genre but this, in its day, was an extremely original concept in itself - A dead man killing teenagers in theire dreams and if this franchise hadn't been over used it would still be a great concept.
  16. Aug 24, 2010
    A Nightmare on Elm Street is pure psychological beauty that can't be topped by any other horror film. The artistic and mesmerizing storyline will leave you pondering the movie's premise for years to come. This film has aged like a fine wine and can remind you that horror films were once a very good source of entertainment. Bravo.

1. Reviewed by: Gavin Bainbridge
    Turning slumberland into a twisted murderer's den is a masterstroke by Craven, who has brought new blood to a genre that seemed as if it might choke on it's own excesses.
  2. Reviewed by: (Staff Not Cretdited)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street is a highly imaginative horror film that provides the requisite shocks to keep fans of the genre happy.
    A Nightmare on Elm Street is tailor made for those who like their gore leavened with thought-provoking ideas - something that is a rarity in this genre.