A Perfect Getaway

6.4

1. Samatha
    Aug 7, 2009
    The best horror movie so far this year.
    Aug 7, 2009
    Okay, so the twist is predictable, but the movie is still tons of fun.
  3. JaobS
    Jan 18, 2010
    i feel stupid cause apparently im the only 1 who didn't figure out the twist right away and since gina was my favorite character haha but i had a fun time watching the movie and loved the twist! i loved how i thought of Sydney as a sweet girl then when the twist comes i think of her as a total bad a**! and i love the part where the surfer guys catch cliff in his lie about the i feel stupid cause apparently im the only 1 who didn't figure out the twist right away and since gina was my favorite character haha but i had a fun time watching the movie and loved the twist! i loved how i thought of Sydney as a sweet girl then when the twist comes i think of her as a total bad a**! and i love the part where the surfer guys catch cliff in his lie about the drugs... very enjoyable movie!! Expand
  4. AwesomeMovie
    Oct 12, 2009
    One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Probably more like an 8. But you all giving it a 1 or 3 need shot. Yes, I considered them to be the killers even before I started watching, but you just don't know for sure. You're guessing thru 2/3 of the movie... you're thinkin well it could be one of 3 couples and any of them really won't be a huge surprise, but that One of the best movies I've seen in a while. Probably more like an 8. But you all giving it a 1 or 3 need shot. Yes, I considered them to be the killers even before I started watching, but you just don't know for sure. You're guessing thru 2/3 of the movie... you're thinkin well it could be one of 3 couples and any of them really won't be a huge surprise, but that doesnt make it a bad movie. I'm thinking the only reason some on here (mikemike) give this movie a bad rating is because they're thinking it needs more of a twist. For me the big twist was her (Jovovich) turning on her partner at the end. With the overwhelming fill of plot twisting movies out, who's not going to consider the main characters as the killers...duh! That was the intention, so as if to try triple reverse psychology on you. And I feel it works good. There's no way anyone could lock it in as them being the killers until the videocam scene. Unless ofcourse someone gave you a hint before you watched it. And there's no way you could rule out the other couples. If it would've turned out as the other couple as the killers, some of you would still be retorting the same ole cries and IMHO, can't appreciate a good movie. Expand
  5. EricS.
    Silly and suspenseful
  6. RickA
    Sep 1, 2009
    I thought it was well acted and the story line was interesting. I do not usually see this type of movie and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this movie.
  7. halb
    Jan 2, 2010
    A pleasant surprise. Yes, you can guess most of the plot twists well in advance, and yes, some of the 'twists' defy logic. But it's decently acted, well shot in a beautiful setting, and doesn't take itself TOO seriously. David Twohy is a skilled screenwriter and director. Olyphant does a really good job with his role; all the actors are decent. What can I say? -- This A pleasant surprise. Yes, you can guess most of the plot twists well in advance, and yes, some of the 'twists' defy logic. But it's decently acted, well shot in a beautiful setting, and doesn't take itself TOO seriously. David Twohy is a skilled screenwriter and director. Olyphant does a really good job with his role; all the actors are decent. What can I say? -- This one kind of snuck up on me and was quite enjoyable, when all is said and done. Expand
  8. TBONE
    Oct 12, 2009
    ///Question/// how does it make it a bad movie if we viewers suspect them as the killer??? it doesnt mean they are. it doesn't rule out the others. I think it leaves you guessing thru 99% of it. Heck, I suspected them before it even started. I still think its a Great thriller movie. Dont' let others on here ruin it for ya. Watch it yourself.
  9. ReaganR
    Aug 11, 2009
    Slick, smart, aesthetically pleasing (that later chase sequence...powerfully cut...reminiscent of the famous running scene from _The Seven samurai!). Really, a rarity in horror/suspense films, a film that shoots for something other than gore and shock. Even a compelling deep psychological angle.... I can't say enough about this surprisingly engaging film! I encourage people to get Slick, smart, aesthetically pleasing (that later chase sequence...powerfully cut...reminiscent of the famous running scene from _The Seven samurai!). Really, a rarity in horror/suspense films, a film that shoots for something other than gore and shock. Even a compelling deep psychological angle.... I can't say enough about this surprisingly engaging film! I encourage people to get out there and see this film; in the wake of crap like Transformers and G.I. Joe, which make a quatrillion dollars, uncommonly inteligent (and entertaining) films like this need our support! Collapse
  10. DomoR
    Aug 11, 2009
    This movie is FUN!!! And yes, it's been done before but rarely with this much glee! The thing that makes it so damn enjoyable is seeing Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant & Milla Jovovich sink their teeth into roles that show they can ACT THEIR A**ES OFF. I mean, I got goosebumps in the latter third of the film with all the shifts and shadings their characters go through. And Kiele This movie is FUN!!! And yes, it's been done before but rarely with this much glee! The thing that makes it so damn enjoyable is seeing Steve Zahn, Timothy Olyphant & Milla Jovovich sink their teeth into roles that show they can ACT THEIR A**ES OFF. I mean, I got goosebumps in the latter third of the film with all the shifts and shadings their characters go through. And Kiele Sanchez's goat gutting scene is a star making turn in and of itself! It's a great guilty pleasure and beats the hell out that Harry Potter snore-fest thingy in the other theater! Expand
  11. CindyC
    Aug 10, 2009
    Better than expected! Beautiful scenery, engaging characters, danger and suspense. It was fun trying to sort through the false clues and identify the real killers. Although some may find the twist predictable, the ending still offers some surprises. Check it out!
  12. ChadS
    Aug 7, 2009
    Georgia was the perfect getaway for the men in John Boorman's "Deliverance", or so they thought, as the naive suburbanites first set down their canoes on the Chattoga River. Back in the shanty town, the moviegoer sees a class struggle in the making when they first meet the local residents. But it's just a matter of time before Bobby(Ned Beatty), the surly one, is put in his Georgia was the perfect getaway for the men in John Boorman's "Deliverance", or so they thought, as the naive suburbanites first set down their canoes on the Chattoga River. Back in the shanty town, the moviegoer sees a class struggle in the making when they first meet the local residents. But it's just a matter of time before Bobby(Ned Beatty), the surly one, is put in his place. The city slicker soon rues the moment he tells a hillbilly, "I like your hat." In "A Perfect Getaway", the outsiders seek their deliverance from the Kalalau Trail on the island of Kauai. This time it's newlyweds(played by Steve Zahn and Milla Jonovich), a screenwriter and his blushing bride who go rural, and encounter, not just the islanders, but stateside couples of a lesser pedigree, which creates the same class struggle found in the Boorman film. Seemingly out of their elements, Cliff and Cydney make the classic mistake of befriending the wrong people, a thriller staple, but the filmmaker never goes on automatic pilot; he composes with soft focus photography to give a sense of ambiguity at key moments whenever both couples are within the same frame. Whereas in "Deliverance", the person of perceived lower class asserts his dominance by violating Bobby("squeal like a pig") in the woods, therefore transforming class struggle into class warfare: Gina(Kiele Sanchez), a Georgian just like the hicks in the Boorman film, intimidates Cliff and Cydney when the country woman processes a goat into food, where she violates the animal(that Nick, played by Timothy Olyphant, had slain) with her hands for its innards. Like a natural born killer, she shows no remorse. But are Cliff and Cydney really intimidated? Is there a social hierarchy? In "A Perfect Getaway", the screenwriter and his wife, unlike the four men in the 1972 film starring Burt Reynolds, get their deliverance not just from the primitive setting, but from each other, as well. Expand
  13. TDKinDallas
    Aug 9, 2009
    A good time at the movies. Glad I saw it at the theater too.
  14. Sep 5, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, so it's not exactly a normal horror film. As a matter of fact it isn't really scary. But this film works well and produces some epic relentless action in the final 30 minutes. It takes a while to get started, but this prologue works because by the time all hell broke loose I actually cared that these characters survived. The twist isn't even as important as one makes it out to be. The film is about two unknown killers; the whole point was to determine who these killers were. That was what happened. The performances by Steve Zahn (especially during the final 30 minutes) and Olyphant are pretty good.
    Needless to say this was an enjoyable movie.
  15. Nov 19, 2010
    This movie was quite the thriller. I'm pretty uncertain if i like the twist or not, but let me tell ya, its very effective. All of the actors/actresses really did quite well. Although this plot was unoriginal, with the twist added and the execution, it came out to be the quality thriller.
  16. Nov 30, 2010
    This movie is good. I watch this movie so many time and i still love it. I think every one should watch this movie.his movie was surprisingly good. I love thriller movies like this. You think you know but you really don't. I think this is a must see movie. Good movie to have on blu ray and DVD. Good to add to your movie collection. i like that this movie had action thriller and some dramaThis movie is good. I watch this movie so many time and i still love it. I think every one should watch this movie.his movie was surprisingly good. I love thriller movies like this. You think you know but you really don't. I think this is a must see movie. Good movie to have on blu ray and DVD. Good to add to your movie collection. i like that this movie had action thriller and some drama in it. And I like all the twist to the movie. A really good screenplay Expand
  17. Dec 13, 2010
    The first hour of this movie is pretty slow but the second half of this movie is jam packed and very interesting "you have no idea who will live and who will die" kind of movie best I've seen in a while.
  18. Jan 20, 2014
    Mystifying, A Perfect Getaway is perhaps "a must-see". A couple go on an adventure and discover terrible news about the strangers they meet. I enjoyed watching A Perfect Getaway. This movie was good! It has a twist at the end.
  19. Aug 13, 2014
    The actors were really good and the story about a couple who meets another one who can be killers is original.The twist was predictable but the movie was effective and thats the important.
  20. Jun 20, 2014
    A Perfect Getaway: 7 out of 10: For a slow moving thriller that cheats… a little, A Perfect Getaway isn't that bad. It has gorgeous cinematography and while it moves slowly, it successfully builds up tension with character development rather than relying on black cats jumping out of closets or severed body parts every ten minutes.

The tale is about three couples in Hawaii and one couple

The tale is about three couples in Hawaii and one couple could be a pair of murders from the big island.

Our protagonist couple (Steve Zahn and Milla Jovovich) is a bit nerdy and a bit goofy. Jovovich in particular gives a wonderfully awkward performance in body language and facial expressions.

Trying to get into the Hawaii spirit our protagonist honeymooners attempt to do a favor for a second couple hitchhiking (Marley Shelton and Chris Hemsworth), but Hemsworth gives off such a bad vibe that the Zahn and Jovovich are naturally concerned about running into him on the trail again.

They take refuge with the "cool" couple (Timothy Olyphant and Kiele Sanchez). Olyphant in particular simply cascades charisma onto the screen even when attempting to convince others he has a plate in his head from his Special Forces days. But even the cool couple could just as easily be the killers (after all Olyphant seems to like fondling his Special Forces knife a bit two much and this is a movie.) All this interaction is among well placed news reports that a non-descriptive couple is wanted for questioning for a murder and are suspected in being on the same trail as our plucky honeymooners.

Director David Twohy isn't back in Pitch Black form but he shows a surer directing hand than he did in Chronicles of Riddick and he gets better performances out of his actors than he did in Below. In fact for a movie with basically six people and very little action the film rests almost exclusively on the actor's shoulders. The actors certainly hold up their end of the bargain across the board.

The movie does cheat a bit as I stated before but this is a thriller rather than a mystery (after all there are only three couples in the whole film) and the journey is more fun than the reveal. In fact the movie has such a relaxed pace and vibe you can easily forget it is a thriller at all. That's when it gets you.
  21. May 23, 2016
    A great little psychological thriller that will keep you guessing until the end.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-18051-A-Perfect-Getaway

A Perfect Getaway is never great, but Twohy isn't aspiring for greatness--he's after gritty and lively and weird. And that's good enough.
  2. Steve Zahn makes full use of the many varieties of hyper in his acting arsenal, while Timothy Olyphant has a heckuva good time telegraphing macho mania.
  3. It's still a gimmicky, tricked-out tale that is all too self-aware. But the film does keep you guessing and probably guessing wrong.