6.4

1. PeterL.
    Jun 11, 2006
    Easy, relaxed, charming, humorous.....all of the adjectives that I use to describe the radio show I would use to describe the movie. YET I probably won't recommend the movie to my friends unless they are fans of A Prairie Home Companion (the radio show).
  2. LindyA.
    Jun 10, 2006
    So evocative for people of a certain age - and so sweet for those brought up on those songs.
  3. RussellL.
    Jun 10, 2006
    THe performances on stage are worth the trip to the movie complex. Even if the connecting story doesn't excite, the characters and performances do. I'll go see it again. It made me feel good about the world.
  4. BillyS.
    Jun 10, 2006
    About 10 minutes into "A Prairie Home Companion" a wave of giddy anticipation sweeps over you like a warm cuddly blanket and you find yourself wishing that it simply will not end, let the last show at the Fitzgerald Theatre just go on and on, song after song, skit after skit and I can sit in the nostalgic glow of an America that I so fondly remember and is slowly fading from my memory bit About 10 minutes into "A Prairie Home Companion" a wave of giddy anticipation sweeps over you like a warm cuddly blanket and you find yourself wishing that it simply will not end, let the last show at the Fitzgerald Theatre just go on and on, song after song, skit after skit and I can sit in the nostalgic glow of an America that I so fondly remember and is slowly fading from my memory bit by bit, day by day. Robert Altman has made the perfect bookend to Nashville. It's touching, funny(at times hysterical), and except for a scene about duct tape-unpolitical. The cast is brilliant. Kevin Kline gives his best screen performance since "A Fish Called Wanda", Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin are simply resplendent, Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly practically steal the the whole movie with their dirty joke medley, Virginis Masden wanders around the theatre dressed in a white trench coat reminiscent of Jessica Lange in "All That Jazz" and Garrison Keiller is so good you wonder why he hasn't pursued acting roles before. A Prairie Home Companion is a Landmark film from a Landmark director who, if there is a God, will finally win a Best Director Oscar in February 2007!!! I bow to you, Mr. Altman, BRAVO. Expand
  5. LDH.
    Jun 10, 2006
    This movie is just a delight. It is extremely engaging, well written, well acted. I would have given it a 10, but I wasn't crazy about the angel. All four of us enjoyed ourselves immensely. It has been a long time since I have felt that way about a movie.
  6. MichaelL.
    Jun 25, 2006
    An absolute joy. Filled with perfect performances and wonderfully nuanced moments. I feel genuinely sad for people who can't relax and enjoy this film; it's sweet, and strangely life-affirming considering it's basically a meditation on death. Streep and Tomlin are amazing (Oscar nods to both, I say), as are Reilly and Harrelson. Only Kevin Kline annoys, which is why I give An absolute joy. Filled with perfect performances and wonderfully nuanced moments. I feel genuinely sad for people who can't relax and enjoy this film; it's sweet, and strangely life-affirming considering it's basically a meditation on death. Streep and Tomlin are amazing (Oscar nods to both, I say), as are Reilly and Harrelson. Only Kevin Kline annoys, which is why I give PHC a 9 rather than a 10. Ignore the nay-sayers and escape from the madness of life in 2006--see this film. Expand
  7. AllenY.
    Aug 21, 2006
    Have not laughed so hard in several years. It was good for the soul. If some reviewers think GK is slipping -- they should be so lucky to slip like that. They are taking life too seriously. With all the dumb stuff going on to be mad about (Iraq ...) they need to find a real issue.
  8. James
    Jun 16, 2006
    This is a great, great picture. Effortless because it's brilliant - everyone involved is at the top of their games - and brilliant because it's effortless - everyone understands where the thing's gently beating heart is and stays close to it. I can't imagine a stronger film this year. (And no, I don't work for the production company.)
  9. APickett
    Jun 29, 2006
    One warm chuckle after another - till all chuckles blended together to a lasting smile. Very very enjoyable.
  10. EmilyH.
    Jun 9, 2006
    A very unusual and charming movie. Idealism, nostalgia, poetry and humor... the innocence and pride of our country's past generations.
  11. KaseyS.
    Aug 3, 2006
    Aside from United 93, the best movie I've seen so far this year. The movie is both hysterical and extremely poignant. Casting was excellent. Acting was superb. I'm normally very anti-supernatural elements in movies, but in this movie, it makes sense and was a brilliant way to tie in the theme. I can't wait for this to come out on DVD.
  12. CalebC.
    Aug 4, 2006
    As a fan of ever style of music and style of film this is pitch a perfect film. I have yet to see more of Altmans films now. I went to see this for many reasons. One being im a huge fan of Altmans "Gosford Park" and Roger Ebert named it one of the best film of the year so far and he was right. (note not to be compared with Gosford Park they are two totally different films).The only reason As a fan of ever style of music and style of film this is pitch a perfect film. I have yet to see more of Altmans films now. I went to see this for many reasons. One being im a huge fan of Altmans "Gosford Park" and Roger Ebert named it one of the best film of the year so far and he was right. (note not to be compared with Gosford Park they are two totally different films).The only reason Roper didn't like this was because of the music and I understand that. If you aren't a fan of drama or folk/gospelish music you just may not like this. But I do highly recomend this to anyone searching for an honestly great film......period. Expand
  13. RobertM.
    Jul 14, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant !!! I enjoyed every second.
  14. JennyS.
    Aug 31, 2007
    This is the best and most creative dramatization of loss and death that I have ever seen. GK, the great storyteller, describes how to live life without looking forward or back. Best film of 2006.
  15. JonJ.
    Sep 19, 2007
    Just what you would expect from a Keillor-Altman collaboration. Given the distinctiveness of their respective styles, you'd expect wide ranging reviews. If you like both, you'll like the movie. If you don't like one or the other, the movie may very well drive you crazy.
  16. ErnieA.
    Dec 17, 2006
    The most enjoyment I had at the movies this year. Mark my words, this movie will stand the test of time. Lily Tomlin is incredible.
  17. SydneyM.
    Jun 12, 2006
    This is such a pleasure. A wonderful cast having so much fun. And, as always, the absorbing Altman direction. Quiet, reflective, engaging. A real treat.
  18. MelisaD.
    Jul 14, 2006
    This is by far the best movie I have seen in the past two years!
  19. DZ
    Nov 13, 2006
    A film that will never achieve acclaim as a modern classic, yet it entices you to a certain state. Blending humor, and tragedy, and fervently evoking our soul, Robert Altman & Garrison Keillor enlivens our heart, and minds. Altman & Keillor focus on certain aspects of life, and death, and somewhere in between. A jovial experience that one would wish never ends.

Take a swig of this moonshine. There's magic in it.
  2. Not since Woody Allen's "Radio Days" has anyone created such a cinematic Valentine to the wonderfully imaginative medium of radio as A Prairie Home Companion.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Rib-ticklingly funny at times and genial as all get-out.