7.9

1. LyntonC.
    Feb 14, 2002
    My favourite movie of all time.
  2. JaneA.
    Aug 8, 2004
    Wonderful and clever.
  3. ThomasO.
    Nov 18, 2004
    I have probably watched A Room With A View at least 20 times since I first saw it at the cinema in 1986. It is not a film of deep meaning or complexity, but it is an exhilarating affirmation of the possibilities of life. It certainly helps that casting, costumes, location, cinematography, and soundtrack are all flawless. This movie firmly set Merchant-Ivory productions as the gold I have probably watched A Room With A View at least 20 times since I first saw it at the cinema in 1986. It is not a film of deep meaning or complexity, but it is an exhilarating affirmation of the possibilities of life. It certainly helps that casting, costumes, location, cinematography, and soundtrack are all flawless. This movie firmly set Merchant-Ivory productions as the gold standard for period movies--and rightly so. Expand
  4. PatC.
    Jan 5, 2004
    Dry English film about social pretenses so empty and boring that they threaten to drag the film along with them. But if one is relaxed and can pay attention, this becomes an intricate textured story which at the end unmistakably simplifies things in the only scene where Carter is allowed to smile.
  5. Nov 28, 2010
    Quite simply, The best film I have ever seen...Required viewing for any true hopeless romantic. "Beauty"!!!!!!! ?

1. Bonham Carter is like an undergraduate in a university production who seems rather good considering that her performance is only an intelligent diversion while she prepares herself for a career in another field. [24 Mar 1986]
    More than a great love story. It's both a lighthearted and deeply impassioned inspirational lesson about life. [4 April 1986]
    A Room with a View enjoys its storytelling so much that I enjoyed the very process of it. The story moved slowly, it seemed, for the same reason you try to make ice cream last: because it's so good.