8.8

1. Dec 6, 2014
    Gripping and thrilling story about, simply, a family struggling to keep it together when the father is accused of a crime in which hardly anyone knows he if really did it. The writing and acting are superb, and I would recommend anyone who respects the art of film making to go see it.
  2. Feb 27, 2014
    A Separation is almost flawless. It can compete with any heavyweight drama in this country, or the world for that matter. The fact that there were English subtitles didn't take away from the experience at all (the mark of a good foreign film). I didn't particularly care for the ending, but the rest of the movie surely makes up for it.
  3. Apr 14, 2013
    Another story from Iranian master of suspension Asghar Farhadi is a gripping moral and social drama set in present-day Iran. The story is not only about men and women, children and parents, justice and religion in today's Iran, but that raises complex and globally relevant questions of responsibility, of the subjectivity and contingency of 'TELLING THE TRUTH', and of how thin the lineAnother story from Iranian master of suspension Asghar Farhadi is a gripping moral and social drama set in present-day Iran. The story is not only about men and women, children and parents, justice and religion in today's Iran, but that raises complex and globally relevant questions of responsibility, of the subjectivity and contingency of 'TELLING THE TRUTH', and of how thin the line can be between inflexibility and pride especially of the male variety and selfishness and tyranny. Believable performances from the strong cast and crisp photography, hand-held and intimate without ever being jerky, help to seal the package and also make the movie more acceptable. Though the film lasts over two hours,good and fast-moving editing keeps the action tensely involving from start to finish. Expand
  4. Mar 12, 2013
    From the opening scene of A Separation I knew I would enjoy this film. The dialogue is smart and ambiguous. The shot is framed so that all your attention is focused on the two characters, you are hanging on every word. Invested in what emotion they are conveying and thus invested in them as characters right from the beginning. So it goes with A Separation a dialogue, character drivenFrom the opening scene of A Separation I knew I would enjoy this film. The dialogue is smart and ambiguous. The shot is framed so that all your attention is focused on the two characters, you are hanging on every word. Invested in what emotion they are conveying and thus invested in them as characters right from the beginning. So it goes with A Separation a dialogue, character driven Iranian film that will have you invested throughout.

The driving force behind this film is conflict. Nearly every character that comes in contact with each other has some sort of conflict at some point. How they react to the conflict engages us and drives the narrative forward. A Separation also makes nearly every character both sympathetic and unsympathetic at the same time. At any given time we are mostly unaware of who is lying and whether their motives are pure.

As an American viewer I was also quite intrigued at some of the cultural conflict in this film. There is a married couple who are devout Muslims and this informs many of the decisions they make throughout the film. Their conflict as a result of their beliefs is not something that most of us can relate to. Even the religious devout in our culture would not allow these things to become a point of contention. For an outsider this definitely added to my intrigue within the film.

A Separation is a well made intriguing drama. The writing is superb. The acting is very good, especially Maadi. While the visuals are not particularly note worthy, the scenes are framed very well, in a way that engages the viewer. A Separation is a must view for any film lover.
  5. Dec 6, 2012
    The absolute best film of 2011, by far. Perfectly written. Perfectly acted. A masterpiece! A brilliant view into the lives and cultures of modern day Iran.
  6. Nov 8, 2012
    A riveting drama that feels so real and is so heart wrenching, that you really come to care for the characters, feel as if their decisions affect you equally. A masterpiece.
  7. Oct 4, 2012
    The film is the best reviewed film of 2011 and totally deserves it: thoughtfully written, brilliantly acted, and most notably, flawlessly directed. Asghar Farhadi is considered by many as a prodigy in modern Iranian film making, and after watching this movie, one can hardly argue with that. My only concern remains now, how is he going to follow this film's success? Can he surpass this one?The film is the best reviewed film of 2011 and totally deserves it: thoughtfully written, brilliantly acted, and most notably, flawlessly directed. Asghar Farhadi is considered by many as a prodigy in modern Iranian film making, and after watching this movie, one can hardly argue with that. My only concern remains now, how is he going to follow this film's success? Can he surpass this one? I just hope he doesn't disappoint his fans, since nothing less than perfection is expected from him. Expand
  8. Sep 7, 2012
    This film marks my first time steps into Iranian territory since TURTLES CAN FLY (2004, 8/10), this victory of Academy Awards
  9. Jul 4, 2012
    I was constantly attached to the masterful drama that so well executed by the relatable characters and fantastic actors. Even at face value the movie is involving and interesting, providing morally stimulating circumstances that will keep you in a trance of thought.
  10. Jun 18, 2012
    Critically,This movie has won everything. It has won as many prestigious awards as you can imagine and yes,this film truly deserved it. The acting,the cinemography, the feel, the plot everything was highly well connected and creates one of the best films of 2011.
  11. May 14, 2012
    Let's face reality and five star rating I just gave for this movie. A Separation have intricate structure in screenplay, complex and brilliant. A Separation captures the messiness of dissolving relationship with intensity and powerful performance. Reminds me of masterpiece, have similar opening scene, The Social Network.
  12. Apr 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most heart wrenching and one of the best movie of recent time. It is addressing so many issues without loosing site of any. Highly recommended. Perfect 100 a must see
  13. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very Good Writing
    Very good Actress
    Its Different Movie.
    Bravoo Asghar Farhadi
    It was worthy of an Win Oscar
    I had never seen a long time same a film
  14. Mar 10, 2012
    This is a film of an intimate story of a family torn by love, duty, innocence, religion and law. It deservedly won an Academy award as best foreign film. If you are reading this review, or considering this film, you understand the difference between a great movie and a great film. If you're looking for the former, then youâ
  15. Mar 4, 2012
    Frankly I was completely captivated and stunned by this movie. While the Oscars are rewarding "The Artist" a slick but shallow homage to old Hollywood the Iranians are creating a movie about real people behaving like real people with every strength and flaw exposed. The fact that it's set in an Iranian cultural milieu makes it fascinatingly educating. We get to see inside 2 IranianFrankly I was completely captivated and stunned by this movie. While the Oscars are rewarding "The Artist" a slick but shallow homage to old Hollywood the Iranians are creating a movie about real people behaving like real people with every strength and flaw exposed. The fact that it's set in an Iranian cultural milieu makes it fascinatingly educating. We get to see inside 2 Iranian marriages; the Iranian justice system; the Iranian cultural taboos and strictures. No judgements are expressed, but we make them anyway, and like all good movies what we see is our own value system looking back at us. This is definitely a finely nuanced film as the characters move in and out of black,, grey, and white. At the end as the credits rolled many in the theatre waited hoping to get a final resolution that the director, appropriately, just wasn't going to give. Expand
  16. Feb 28, 2012
    A great view into human emotions through a foreign lens. The emotions are real and the way of life is different but you will walk away pleased with what you saw. Great movie.
  17. Feb 27, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A tragedy of errors with a very easy to see political analogy:

The old father is Iran. A country with Alzheimer forgetting its own people. An incontinent regime pissing on its youth. The unborn child stands for a free democratic Iran, killed before birth. Where? On the same street where the green revolution, the embryonic state of democracy, was killed in 2011.
    Pregnant Razieh tries to rescue the old man/the country/her income for the sake of the future generation.

The two couples stand for the majority in Iran.
    In spite of good intentions most of the time they lie, fight or escape the country.
    Too loyal or afraid to see the truth: Rashomon in Iran.
    Very ironic that the Iranian leaders praise the movie and don't see the obvious, like fish don't notice the sea or the five blind men can't recognize the elephant they feel. Only the children see the reality and offer some hope. The little girl plays with the oxygen levels.
    The choice of Termeh in the final scene is the choice the youth in Iran stands for:
    leave the country or stay and revolt, again.

Shirin Yazdi
  18. Feb 26, 2012
    A Separation is an unbelievable movie, and probably the best new film I've seen in the last two or three years. It is a film with so much depth that I believe I will likely go back to it again and again over the years and still be surprised by the force of the acting, the beautiful camera work, the quotidian yet profoundly moving story arc, the morally difficult terrain each character mustA Separation is an unbelievable movie, and probably the best new film I've seen in the last two or three years. It is a film with so much depth that I believe I will likely go back to it again and again over the years and still be surprised by the force of the acting, the beautiful camera work, the quotidian yet profoundly moving story arc, the morally difficult terrain each character must wade through, etc. This is an absolute tour de force. Expand
  19. Feb 25, 2012
    The title of this Iranian import would imply that it's about a married couple breaking up. While that's the catalyst, much more happens in this intricate sequence of events. There's lots of anguish, loud declaiming and absorbing emotionâ
  20. Feb 19, 2012
    Indeed, a masterpiece. Roger Ebert called it the best film of the year, and I definitely agree with him. I was impressed with the lead performances and Asghar Farhadi's great direction & screenplay. I'm glad that he received nominations for both his film and also his screenplay at the Academy Awards. Good luck at the Oscars next week!
  21. Feb 17, 2012
    This is a film that makes it difficult to tear your eyes away from the screen. The raw, believable drama is interlaced in a culture where religion and pride mean everything. The acting is of the highest standard, especially the lead. The writing is consistently excellent and engaging. The tensions that exist both on the surface and bubbling underneath make for a truly great cinematic experience.
  22. Feb 2, 2012
    farhadi is a genius ...this is one of the best movies of the year...the story engages you all the way through the film...you feel like you are the judge but don't know how to make your judgement...totally nail biting..if it was nominated among the 10 best movie and best directors, it would get both awards.
    the movie has won 43 awards so far worldwide and counting...simply brilliant...
  23. Jan 31, 2012
    This is the film of the year. Its concerns are universal. The drifting apart of a married couple and their daughter, as tensions build up and small lies spin out of control. Everyone has good reasons for what they do and their own truth which looks like lies and distortions to others. This does not add up to a harmonious life. That it all this place in contemporary Iran with its stricturesThis is the film of the year. Its concerns are universal. The drifting apart of a married couple and their daughter, as tensions build up and small lies spin out of control. Everyone has good reasons for what they do and their own truth which looks like lies and distortions to others. This does not add up to a harmonious life. That it all this place in contemporary Iran with its strictures and deprivations only adds to the drama as social classes and degrees of religious observance collide and clash. The characters are flawlessly acted and their imperfections completely authentic. The camera work is brilliant with frequent closeups of actors who seem completely real. There is no preaching or taking sides, the film is humanistic in its sympathy for all the characters even when they transgress. This is movie-making at its best, reminiscent of the films that came from central and eastern Europe during the communist era and its immediate aftermath Expand
  24. Jan 29, 2012
    OMG. What a great movie. I am just blown away. Great acting, great writing, great direction, it moves along so fluidly and shows such perception about people and their relationships. Not a happy tale, but the best movie I have seen in a long while.
  25. Jan 29, 2012
    It's rare to see a movie so captivating that you feel like you're only a mere fly on the wall, watching the characters' lives progress. The film engrossed me from the very first scene all the way 'til the end. The actors delve so deep into their roles, that you can't tell that they are acting. They became their characters down to the very core. It's hard not to get attached and feel forIt's rare to see a movie so captivating that you feel like you're only a mere fly on the wall, watching the characters' lives progress. The film engrossed me from the very first scene all the way 'til the end. The actors delve so deep into their roles, that you can't tell that they are acting. They became their characters down to the very core. It's hard not to get attached and feel for each character. The screenplay was masterful and the directing was superb. Quite simply, A Separation is the best film of 2011. If it doesn't win Best Foreign Language Film at the Academy Awards, I'll be gobsmacked. Expand
  26. Jan 29, 2012
    now, this is a great film. some may find it slow, but it is incredibly thrilling and keeps you interested all the time, not to mention that we don't get to see a movie like this every day. stays in memory and gives you something to think about.
  27. Jan 27, 2012
    I say : Fantastic of Year is hear !! and when i saw about elly , the past film of farhadi , is SO amazing , that have a real mystery like rebeca of hitchkak !!! I like both of them ( a separation and about elly) , because mystery is fantastic !!
  28. Jan 26, 2012
    The best film ever which has a very complicated structure full of details.Excellent work. It shows a medium level family dealing with their own problems and face the problems caused by a poor family.
  29. Jan 21, 2012
    Superb! I do not recall the last time I watched a film when I fully lost track of time and was absolutely immersed (without an interruption) in the story and what was happening in it. The perfection of the acting and the perfection of the directing and editing make one feel as if what is being filmed is real life. Bravo!
  30. Jan 21, 2012
    It really is an Excellent movie, this was one of the best movies I ever saw. 10/10 great movie from directing and screen-writing point of view, and we should not forget the great job of the actors my favorite character was Peyman Maadi, he did an awesome job in this movie, They also try their best to show the regular difficulty that Iranians have in their daily lives, which makes it moreIt really is an Excellent movie, this was one of the best movies I ever saw. 10/10 great movie from directing and screen-writing point of view, and we should not forget the great job of the actors my favorite character was Peyman Maadi, he did an awesome job in this movie, They also try their best to show the regular difficulty that Iranians have in their daily lives, which makes it more interesting for people around the world. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Mar 3, 2012
    Every time it starts to feel like something we have known, we realize how unlike us these Iranian characters are.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Mar 2, 2012
    It's the little moments in Farhadi's film that are its most important, speaking every bit as loudly as its big, narrative-driving moments.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Feb 29, 2012
    It's a mystery wrapped inside an enigmatic nation, flawlessly acted and difficult to predict. I'm always impressed when a movie informs about a foreign culture while it entertains, and this one is powerful art in that regard.