Abandon

Apr 1, 2004
    Brilliant.
  2. EricS.
    Nov 2, 2002
    There are scenes in "Abandon" so full of energy and brilliance that they would work on their own separate planes. There are characters so daringly distant that we can't help but be intrigued by them. And there is a revelation so well-revealed that I felt a chill go up my spine comparable to the one I got during 'The Sixth Sense.' Critics bashing this film are naive: There are scenes in "Abandon" so full of energy and brilliance that they would work on their own separate planes. There are characters so daringly distant that we can't help but be intrigued by them. And there is a revelation so well-revealed that I felt a chill go up my spine comparable to the one I got during 'The Sixth Sense.' Critics bashing this film are naive: realizing every element is only appreciated when looked at individually. Stephen Gaghon's "Abandon" is remarkable in that it illustrates textbook usage of everything a film of its depth should It's the kind of first feature I'd like to make. Expand
  3. MikeW.
    Nov 27, 2002
    I think it is safe to say Miss Katie has outdone herself, but the real brake through performance is Zooey Deschanel who from the beginning steels the movie in every scene she is in. Applause this beautifully crafted slow-paced triller. *** out of **** stars in my book!

A thriller wrapped in heavy-duty gauze to muffle the chills.
  2. A trite psychological thriller -- all buildup and no payoff, a mystery that essentially offers only two alternative solutions, which diminishes the element of surprise and strings the viewer along way past caring which possibility proves to be true.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The story's rhythm is so bogged down in unnecessary characterization that the film can hardly breathe.