7.9

1. Jan 23, 2014
    Whoever gave this review less than 11/10, is a complete idiot because this is one of the best movies ever created. I laughed, I cried (a lot) and I'm a male....and straight...I only created this account on Metacritic to rate this movie...will also probably rate others. While I'm here, Inception and Butterfly effect were awesome
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Just awful. I enjoyed the Time Traveler's Wife, and this was like that except lacking everything that made that movie interesting, with hardly any significant, interesting time travel and a boring, pathetic loser for a main character who never grows at all throughout the movie.

The film doesn't make you care at all about ANY of the characters, in fact, because it never really tries to.
    The only "tear jerking" that happens is because of the sappy music and the marriage and baby stuff that some women love to fawn over despite the lack of connection to any of the characters in the film.

It drags on especially toward the end for no real apparent reason other than to add to the sap appeal for the characters that we have no connection whatsoever to because, again, none was ever developed.

The reviews promised a chick flick that men could actually enjoy. It did not deliver whatsoever. I can't see anyone with taste enjoying this film.

Rated 2 because the first 20 minutes were somewhat interesting.

The only people who could enjoy this film past the 20 minute mark are, to put it bluntly, airhead girls and eunuchs.
  3. Jan 16, 2014
    Albeit not being incredible, it's a good-intentions film for happy minds and people who don't want to be too involved when watching a film. It's true, everyone would wish to have Tim's gift, and the flaws in the time travel rules explained throughout the film didn't actually bother me at all. It's not a film about time travel at all, it's just a romantic comedy where a man has the chance to do things over and over till they're the way he wants them.

Stupefied by the fact that Rachel McAdams would take on a role in "Time Traveller's Wife" and then in "About Time", but whatever works for her. Bill Nighy is spectacular as always. Gleeson is not much but he's supposed to be the average man so that kind of fits.

Rom-com with no dentist required, it's okay. And Uncle Desmond's character is brilliant.
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    In short, About Time is a movie about time, and not wasting any of it. It introduces us to a young man named Tim, who is told an unbelievable secret from by his father. The secret, we find out, is one of both consequence and great possibility. About Time is a coming of age tale that will make you laugh, cry, and ultimately appreciate the little things, and the little things inside those little things that make life amazing.

Thanks,

INeedToPee
  5. Dec 8, 2013
    In regards to the film “About Time”...

In this age of out-of-this-world ridiculous visual effects, computer graphics, action stunts and massive Hollywood blockbuster productions worth hundreds of millions of dollars, we get this subtle little film “About Time”, which offers us the complete opposite of what we, as an audience, have come to expect from Hollywood to entertain us. The film
    is exquisitely scripted, backed by tremendous performances by the actors, especially by Bill Nighy, and most of all, the film gives us a dose of deep, meaningful emotional roller coaster.
    At the beginning, we find that the central character’s family has a deep secret: the men of that family are able to travel back in time. This makes one skeptical of the entire movie: haven’t we already had a story like this before? From this point on, it seems as though the plot and the dialogue of the rest of the film are like a subtle closing argument as to why that time travel aspect is not really an important aspect of the film, although it does affect the story.
    Another misconception of this film is that while it seems like a story of a man and a woman falling in love, it really is about the relationship between a father and a son. Their storyline pretty much outclasses and overshadows every other storyline of the film. From that prior skepticism when we first hear about the time travelling ability, as the story unfolds and the plot thickens, the audience becomes emotionally manhandled. Why? Because of love.
    We see the chase for love, the choices that are made for and because of love, the consequences of love, and finally, the hardest part for us humans when we deal with love: knowing when to let go and have the courage to move on after losing love. That skepticism that I mentioned about at the beginning of the film? It dramatically changes into support, with the audience longing for the son to use his abilities more and more. You can sense, hear and feel the emotional wreckage going on in the theater, not because of the romance between a husband and wife, but because, for most of us, we don’t have that loving relationship depicted here between father and son.
    This movie couldn’t have come to Korea at a better time. With Christmas almost here, it’s almost as though this film has come to remind us that with the time we have, maybe we need to focus on what is really important to us. Even in a materialistic society like Korea, maybe this movie can remind us and help us move in the right direction little by little.
  6. Nov 8, 2013
    I have a feeling that "About Time" will become a beloved movie in my family, from now on. Authentic, positive, real, warm, and filled with wonderful characters and messages. I loved this movie. It is not so much a film about a time traveling man as it is about life and relationships in every form.
  7. Jan 14, 2014
    10/10 after watching thousands of moves, I think I might dare say this, I might watch it again... Just for the sake of it, ok now i'm just exending this to
  8. Nov 11, 2013
    About Time is a charming, utterly tender tale of life, love and the extraordinary of the ordinary. Much like the narrative of the film, Tim travels to the past and back to the present to perfect all the imperfections of his life, yet the film is anything but perfect, and that’s ok. Suffering from inconsistent plot-points to breaking the rules that the film outlines, About Time is surely not a tightly-constricted narrative leap for the genre by any means. Regardless, the film casts an enchanting spell that not only lifts one’s spirit, but causes you to merely forget about the rules Curtis makes, and breaks.

Writer/director Richard Curtis has had quite a bit of luck in the romantic-comedy genre, making major waves penning Bridget Jones’s Diary, Love Actually, Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral. Although he has stated that About Time will be his final directorial venture, only behind the aforementioned Love Actually and Pirate Radio, Curtis has succeeded well beyond many of the directors and screenwriters who hoped to successfully recreate anything Nicholas Sparks‘ has made, with the exception of The Notebook, of course. Fresh, spontaneous and demanding emotions, Curtis has brought new light to the British romantic-comedy front and has made the kind of films one isn’t ashamed to laugh and cry at.

Once Tim finally meets Mary (Rachael McAdams), Tim knows he has found the reason to adequately use his time-traveling powers. At first glance, Gleeson and McAdams seem like a poor physical match for a film that at times could be distracting or awkward. Instead, much to the extent and reality in life, the two feed off one another’s unique characteristics splendidly. Tall, pale and with a hint of orange hair, Gleeson‘s unqiue on-screen charm is brashly alluring. McAdams on the other hand, stripped of all glam and instead substituted with a rather rag/tag girl-next door look, reminds us why she is cast in these roles and how easy it is to fall in love with her quirks and all.

McAdams, who is no stranger to the time-traveling love story narrative, venturing in her third quest as the desired love interest, first inThe Time Traveler’s Wife and two years later in Woody Allen’s acclaimed Midnight In Paris, enchants and reminds us just how adorable and likable she really is in these roles. Bringing a believable essence to the role of Mary, McAdams just may cement herself in time as the go-to, romantic-comedy poster girl.

As a love story, About Time succeeds. As a tale of morality, a lesson on making each day your last and as a film about the bond between father and son, the film triumphs. Gleeson and Nighy share some of the most sentimental and heart-wrenching moments of the film that are sure to get your eyeballs sweating with joy. Incandescent as father and son, the two actors shine as the heart and soul of the film.

As the pendulum swings closer to the end of the year, About Time will surely be atop my list of guilty cinematic pleasures of 2013, especially since I am such a sucker for hopeless romantic love stories with an underlining patriarchal theme. About Time may be a highly decorated cautionary tale of the beautiful moments in everyone’s seemingly mundane life and the short time we have to live it, but the film, whether romantically tied or generationally suggestive, is a movie about appreciating the little things. “Some days you want to re-live forever. Some days you want to live once”, and Richard Curtis and company really hammer that notion home with their newest film. Essentially, About Time is really all ABOUT LOVE, and we are alright with that.
  9. Nov 10, 2013
    About Time is a sweet movie, lives to its joyous script and direction. It's a film that doesn't waste your time but does make it. Have a second chance in life, so have it. The acting was great and Bill Nighy doesn't dissapoint but makes it better. Watch it, and love it. One of the best comedies of this year yet.
  10. Nov 13, 2013
    About time, for me was a great film with laughs and lows throughout. The main actor in the film was brilliant at potraying the role really well, also everyone did a great job. They really did a good of making time travel nescassery but they didn't advertise making you realise how great life really is. What really shocked me is how emotional this film is, the ending made everyone in the cinema sob in tears, really. So overall a great time. Expand
  11. Mar 1, 2014
    This movie sucked. It was slow, dull, sappy, overly sentimental...I was so bored. I understand it was a romantic drama, and maybe that's just not my cup of tea, but I thought it needed more light hearted laughs to keep my interest. Not much happened, and it was mainly a real downer. I did like the actors, so that's one good thing, but I felt like this movie was a waste of money overall. I should have watched something else. Expand
  12. Jan 20, 2014
    About Time was surprisingly watchable. The genre is not my thing and the romance and dialogue can be cheesy but it kept me engaged. The film had a nice lesson about love, a good premise, and some good acting. I wouldn’t recommend this movie to everyone as it is a chick-flick/date movie and romantic comedies are more a woman’s thing. However, if you are stuck watching this movie and you are a dude it is not that bad. If you want to see a great romantic comedy watch When Harry Met Sally or if you want to see a great love story about life watch Up (especially the first ten minutes). This is a chick-flick for girls but the film is watchable. Collapse
  13. Nov 18, 2013
    When he turns 21, the young man played by Domhnall Gleeson finds out he can travel back in time. In the course of this too long movie, he uses his power to create the perfect relationship with lovely Rachel McAdams. While the plot presents an interesting premise, writer/director Richard Curtis (Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral) exhibits none of the skills that made these other efforts such a delight. The dialogue lacks spark, the "quirky" supporting characters are not and Gleeson doesn't have the comic chops or romantic charms to carry the load. The potential for sweet humor and captivating dramatic moments is set up, but as the movie progresses it becomes uninspired, predictable and flat. Expand
  14. Mar 27, 2014
    Man, what a nice lil film. did you like "the time travelers wife"? did you like "the butterfly effect"? how about mixing the 2 together, adding Bill Nighy and Rachel Mcadams to the cast, and you get a lovely film. granted, the first 30 mins are a little "long" but you'll like it in the long run!
  15. Sep 2, 2014
    About Time is a curious look at time-travel and the ability to fine-tune moments of one's past. Curtis challenges us to become emotional invested and succeeds. Rachel McAdams is as magical as ever.
  16. Jun 2, 2014
    It turns out that the movie is not about a love story. It’s more about fatherhood. It’s a shame it had to sell the love story part in its promotion to get people watching this movie.

The directing and the cinematography is absolutely beautiful. In terms of directing, this is a wonderful swan song for Richard Curtis’ directing career.

However, the story lacked strong conflict. The
    love story in this movie did not have any conflict at all. It seemed like it’s too much of a perfect romantic story, which felt unrealistic.

And the plot holes in this story is very noticeable. To get my point, I had to list down the time traveling rules, applied in the movie.

1-)Only male members of the family can travel in time.: This rule was broken when Tim traveled way back in time from the beginning of the movie with his sister, Kit Kat. The question why Kit Kat was allowed to time travel as long as she is with her brother is not answered.
    2-)Only travel to the past is possible: This rule was broken when Tim arrives in the past and then goes back to the present time. The question why Tim cannot go to the future, but can go back to the present is not answered.
    3-)It is impossible to go back in time before you were born: The first rule that wasn’t broken.
    4-)Traveling back to a time before your child is born will cause a different child to be born and the original child will be lost: And the last rule that wasn’t broken either.

With these plot holes and the story lacking conflict makes the movie a bit boring to watch.

The humor, however, saved the movie. It was funny and smartly written.

While this time traveling romantic-comedy movie is not memorable, its humor, charm and beautiful setting will remain you to watch the movie until the credits roll.
  17. Jan 20, 2014
    Light movie, enjoyable flic, where nothing bad happens. Good watch with ye' girlfriend or aunt. Time travel adds a nice twist, tough not very consistend plot.
  18. Feb 26, 2014
    Saw this on a flight and I am glad I did as it was not a movie I heard of. The premise seems pretty cheesey. Even the first 30 minutes is pretty cheesey in nature as well-predictable and a story that has already been told. But the story turns to a more family oriented,family saving ordeal with feeling in that the viewer can identify with the predictament the family begins to face. If you begin to watch this, give the slow moving tale some time Expand
  19. Jan 3, 2014
    this a story of a guy who for some reason can not find a girlfriend while living in London. To get one this poor sod has to resort to time travel Sounds like it can be a funny movie except for it tries to be a drama and completely fails at that as no one in the right mind can take this story seriously nor is there any emotional attachment to any of the main characters.
  20. Apr 2, 2014
    The great subtlety of the film is what makes it great. We do not need anything more than the characters, we dont want to know anything except for where they go, how they will act or react, that's where we run into the biggest hit of About Time, you care about these people.
  21. May 11, 2014
    A film you fall in love with even knowing their are some small time travel issues. The acting is top notch the music is great and the film left me really adoring it. A-
  22. Aug 15, 2014
    I am confused, one side i am thinking that how you can so oversimplify the time travel and it's relevance and on the other side i find the basic theme of the movie very beautiful. It's freshness is the biggest attraction as well as the biggest drawback. But still it's a beautiful drama if we just ignore our normal mindset towards time travel.
  23. Nov 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. About Time takes place in the cosy romantic Britain of Richard Curtis, where nervous middle class Englishmen fall head over heels for gorgeous American women. Curtis paints an idealised London of lawyers, playwrights, art galleries and vintage fashion. In the midst of it all is aspiring young lawyer Tim (Domhnall Gleeson), who arrives in the capital with new ambition, and a new ability.

For Tim has just been told the family secret by his father (Bill Nighy). He, along with all the other men in his family, is a time traveller, and can rewrite his own history by travelling back to any point along his own timeline (but no killing Hitler). Nighy’s matter-of-fact exposition on this matter starts the film; along with Tim’s natural incredulity, it is a comic highlight.

But this is a Richard Curtis project, and Tim’s future is not a chronicle of epic destiny, but a chance for him to finally meet the girl of his dreams. She arrives swiftly in the form of the expatriated Mary (Rachel McAdams).

Gleeson shines as an atypical leading man, red haired, slightly gangly; at once identifiable and appealing to the audience. McAdams is pleasant, but her character is given little to do. Notably, she never discovers Tim’s big secret.

Much of the humour comes from Tim’s courtship of Mary, during which he repeats awkward encounters and must meet her for the first time more than once (including a memorable date in London’s famously pitch-black Dans le Noir restaurant, a nifty cinematic experiment).

The approach is reminiscent of that other great time travelling romantic comedy, the thoroughly brilliant Groundhog Day (1993). But Tim has a blessing, not a curse, and with complete control over his path, approaches with less cynicism and more “Let’s try that again, shall we?”

So the blend of time travel with a romantic comedy is not entirely original. There is also an inevitable comparison with The Time Traveller’s Wife (2009), which also starred Rachel McAdams. Maybe she’s stuck in a time loop herself.

As for specifics, the film directly asks you not to question it too much. “We don’t seem to have destroyed civilisation yet” says Nighy. Some rules rear their head as the narrative progresses, but it’s hard to know what the boundaries actually are, and I just watched Primer (2004).

This is not a film about time travel, but a romantic comedy in which time travel furthers the plot. But it is about time: how we choose to spend it, and who we choose to spend it with. And while it’s a romance on the face of things, the more interesting relationship, and certainly the more poignant, is between Tim and his father.

At times, it’s unashamedly sentimental. The entire film has a softness to it that makes you wonder if Curtis smeared Vaseline on the lens. Curtis even manages to turn a potentially day ruining downpour into a fresh and glorious celebration.

The strength of the writing is in the ability to remain unexpected, and some of this is naturally due to the ability of time travel to allow unexpected things to happen. Conflict appears in unlikely places, and least of all in the relationship between Gleeson and McAdams.

It’s not perfect, but for all the derivative and saccharine elements, the central father-son relationship is eloquent, and something rarely explored in this way, especially with this level of British reserve. Though the script is witty, it is only peppered with outright comedy (this is still gold, from the versatile Tom Hollander, fantastic as a jaded slovenly playwright, to Tim’s swift cycle through a series of potential best men, complete with appropriate speeches).

Being relatively unfamiliar with his previous works (aside from classic television shows Blackadder and The Vicar of Dibley) About Time has at the very least inspired me to investigate Richard Curtis’s other films, which are apparently much stronger.
  24. Nov 10, 2013
    "About Time" is a film all about being able to go back and have a second chance... That being said, I would still see this film. Lots of unanswered questions, and I didn't feel there was any climactic scene, but the movie made me think. It's a good film, and I'd recommend it.
  25. Nov 13, 2013
    Just so everyone knows, my last username was "man", but the account was deleted. So this is my new username. But anyway, I was very satisfied with how well this movie turned out. The chemistry between Domnall Gleeson and Rachel McAdams was a pure delight to watch onscreen! The rest of the supporting cast, including old school English actor Bill Nighy also did superb! It's the characters in this movie that really bring out the emotions I felt while watching this. They really make you feel something! The story felt a little "Been there, done that" at times. However, it couldn't defeat the true charm and joy this movie made me feel! So overall, this movie really was an absolutely delightful and charming experience! For me, it was quite possibly this year's best romantic comedy as well! Expand
  26. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A socially awkward guy learns that he has the ability to travel through time, so he does what most of us would do in that circumstance So about time is a feel good romantic comedy about tim this social outcast who never stood out in life bill nighy who plays his father comes to him and tells him that all the males on their family can travel trough time what does he wants not money or fame or glory he just wants him to get a girlfriend which is simple read full review http://cinews.info/in-cinema/About-Time.php Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2013
    In the format of a chick-flick, "About Time" should not be mistaken for one. Intimate and heart warming, yet a surefire tear jerker, the film gives us an original storyline and a beautiful (as always) Rachel McAdams. A feel-good movie for the ladies AND their dates.
  28. Jan 16, 2014
    Flawed but fascinating, About Time is emotional, heartfelt and sentimental at the same time and manages to balance a good plot which fortunately never feels like a rom-com as the previews would suggest.
  29. Jan 14, 2014
    When someone mentions time travel, this is not the movie you will think about. When someone mentions father-son relationship, this is not the movie you will think about. When someone says romance, this movie won't come to mind. In conclusion, there is nothing memorable about the film. It's got a very faulty time-travel premise and very under-developed characters except for the lead character of Tim. Richard Curtis could, no, should do better. We all know, he can... Expand
  30. Jan 19, 2014
    Very bad made movie. Old tricks, awful actings, long and boring "going-back-to-the-past" over and over again, not reflecting the truth of a real life (at least doesn't convince me). Totally a waste of my time. And it's definitely the worst movie I've seen in 2013.
  31. Mar 17, 2014
    i did not see the ending which was a bummer . i wish i can travel in time to fix my mistakes but i can't. i love rachel mcadams and i love this film . i am in 6th grade and i want my future to be perfect and have a good child and have a good wife thats why i am so nervous about the future you never know if your gonna have a good future or not . thats why i love this film here's why its about love , time , romance , and a good life . Expand
  32. Mar 16, 2014
    I watch a great many movies, and am usually disappointed, bored or frantic about the amount of money that was spent in order to make such drivel. And then along comes pure entertainment, wrapped in a neat little packaged called ABOUT TIME. If I don't nod off during the first quarter of the film - if I am totally engaged - laughing out loud all by myself -- weeping a few tears of joy at perfect moments in the film -- then I will be happy and feel that it was money well spent. I rarely urge others to see a film because we all have different tastes. My taste is: if I am entertained, made to feel good, and if I watch the credits rise up on the screen with a feeling of having been totally whisked away to a better world -- then I am happy. Forget American Hustle, forget Django Unchained; come away with a good taste in your mouth for once and watch ABOUT TIME. Well done! Expand
  33. Apr 6, 2014
    My husband and I enjoyed this movie very much. It was charming, sweet, funny and clever. Loved the characters. How refreshing to watch a movie that doesn't leave you in the doldrums. We liked it so much we invited our friends to watch it with us again. They loved it, too. I would like to see more movies like this produced. We are tired of the violence, ugliness, and darkness of most movies produced today. Expand
  34. Jun 15, 2014
    I will introduce you about a movie which name is “About Time.“ The movie is a romantic comedy of Domhnal Gleeson who is famous for Harry Potter series and Rachel McAdams who is famous for Sherlock Holmes series. A main character who is a boy lives in a small town has a terrific magic. The magic is a skill of time traveling. After his father told him they have a skill of it, the boy always travels time whenever he wants. The boy wants to meet a true love. Then one day, he met an attractive girl at a bar. They fall in each other in first sight. They loved truly and got married. The whole story is about like this. I feel really cozy while watching the movie. The movie gave me a kind of tip to find a good partner. Before I watch the movie, I thought the only thing important of my lifetime companion is apperance. However, I realized that the more important than appearance is inner side beauty. In these sense, “About Time“ is didactic movie for people who fine their lover. Expand
  35. Jul 16, 2014
    What an ending.... so weird. How on earth they made the ending so flat? It feels like being left alone in the middle of the tour or this traveling thing. It's sweet, full of cute chats, and natural laughs. The movie nailed to make me falls in love with the man character. But, the ending, was easily to forget. So, the whole movie made me remember all of them, but when people asked me of the ending, I bet I'll answer, "What ending?"

They shouldn't end it. I refuse the ending of this movie.
  36. Aug 27, 2014
    About Time is a well crafted feel good movie. When the movie ends you will be smiling from ear to ear. I was very interested in Tim's trek through life with the ability to travel in time, but it is also not perfect. He still had to deal with hardships over his life. Its the perfect mix of romance comedy and drama. I really enjoyed Bill Nighy in the role of the father in the movie.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    Maybe it's a touch twee, but Curtis' film is far too uplifting, too life-affirming and too good-natured to do anything but embrace.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Nov 7, 2013
    There’s a lot of comic and fantasy potential here, but much of it gets squandered.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Nov 6, 2013
    What Rachel McAdams is doing in this nonsense is anyone's guess, but she must realize that the long journey from "Mean Girls" to Mary, with her mousy bangs and her timid pleas counts as a serious descent. [11 Nov. 2013, p.90]