8.1

1. Jan 23, 2014
    Whoever gave this review less than 11/10, is a complete idiot because this is one of the best movies ever created. I laughed, I cried (a lot) and I'm a male....and straight...I only created this account on Metacritic to rate this movie...will also probably rate others. While I'm here, Inception and Butterfly effect were awesome
  2. Dec 8, 2013
    In regards to the film “About Time”...

In regards to the film “About Time”...

In this age of out-of-this-world ridiculous visual effects, computer graphics, action stunts and massive Hollywood blockbuster productions worth hundreds of millions of dollars, we get this subtle little film “About Time”, which offers us the complete opposite of what we, as an audience, have come to expect from Hollywood to entertain us. The film is exquisitely scripted, backed by tremendous performances by the actors, especially by Bill Nighy, and most of all, the film gives us a dose of deep, meaningful emotional roller coaster.
    At the beginning, we find that the central character’s family has a deep secret: the men of that family are able to travel back in time. This makes one skeptical of the entire movie: haven’t we already had a story like this before? From this point on, it seems as though the plot and the dialogue of the rest of the film are like a subtle closing argument as to why that time travel aspect is not really an important aspect of the film, although it does affect the story.
    Another misconception of this film is that while it seems like a story of a man and a woman falling in love, it really is about the relationship between a father and a son. Their storyline pretty much outclasses and overshadows every other storyline of the film. From that prior skepticism when we first hear about the time travelling ability, as the story unfolds and the plot thickens, the audience becomes emotionally manhandled. Why? Because of love.
    We see the chase for love, the choices that are made for and because of love, the consequences of love, and finally, the hardest part for us humans when we deal with love: knowing when to let go and have the courage to move on after losing love. That skepticism that I mentioned about at the beginning of the film? It dramatically changes into support, with the audience longing for the son to use his abilities more and more. You can sense, hear and feel the emotional wreckage going on in the theater, not because of the romance between a husband and wife, but because, for most of us, we don’t have that loving relationship depicted here between father and son.
    This movie couldn’t have come to Korea at a better time. With Christmas almost here, it’s almost as though this film has come to remind us that with the time we have, maybe we need to focus on what is really important to us. Even in a materialistic society like Korea, maybe this movie can remind us and help us move in the right direction little by little.
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    I have a feeling that "About Time" will become a beloved movie in my family, from now on. Authentic, positive, real, warm, and filled with wonderful characters and messages. I loved this movie. It is not so much a film about a time traveling man as it is about life and relationships in every form.
  4. Nov 9, 2013
    In short, About Time is a movie about time, and not wasting any of it. It introduces us to a young man named Tim, who is told an unbelievable secret from by his father. The secret, we find out, is one of both consequence and great possibility. About Time is a coming of age tale that will make you laugh, cry, and ultimately appreciate the little things, and the little things inside thoseIn short, About Time is a movie about time, and not wasting any of it. It introduces us to a young man named Tim, who is told an unbelievable secret from by his father. The secret, we find out, is one of both consequence and great possibility. About Time is a coming of age tale that will make you laugh, cry, and ultimately appreciate the little things, and the little things inside those little things that make life amazing.

Thanks,

INeedToPee
  5. Jan 14, 2014
    10/10 after watching thousands of moves, I think I might dare say this, I might watch it again... Just for the sake of it, ok now i'm just exending this to
  6. Nov 13, 2013
    About time, for me was a great film with laughs and lows throughout. The main actor in the film was brilliant at potraying the role really well, also everyone did a great job. They really did a good of making time travel nescassery but they didn't advertise making you realise how great life really is. What really shocked me is how emotional this film is, the ending made everyone in theAbout time, for me was a great film with laughs and lows throughout. The main actor in the film was brilliant at potraying the role really well, also everyone did a great job. They really did a good of making time travel nescassery but they didn't advertise making you realise how great life really is. What really shocked me is how emotional this film is, the ending made everyone in the cinema sob in tears, really. So overall a great time. Expand
  7. Nov 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A socially awkward guy learns that he has the ability to travel through time, so he does what most of us would do in that circumstance So about time is a feel good romantic comedy about tim this social outcast who never stood out in life bill nighy who plays his father comes to him and tells him that all the males on their family can travel trough time what does he wants not money or fame or glory he just wants him to get a girlfriend which is simple read full review http://cinews.info/in-cinema/About-Time.php Expand
  8. Nov 10, 2013
    About Time is a sweet movie, lives to its joyous script and direction. It's a film that doesn't waste your time but does make it. Have a second chance in life, so have it. The acting was great and Bill Nighy doesn't dissapoint but makes it better. Watch it, and love it. One of the best comedies of this year yet.
  9. Nov 11, 2013
    About Time is a charming, utterly tender tale of life, love and the extraordinary of the ordinary. Much like the narrative of the film, Tim travels to the past and back to the present to perfect all the imperfections of his life, yet the film is anything but perfect, and that’s ok. Suffering from inconsistent plot-points to breaking the rules that the film outlines, About Time is surelyAbout Time is a charming, utterly tender tale of life, love and the extraordinary of the ordinary. Much like the narrative of the film, Tim travels to the past and back to the present to perfect all the imperfections of his life, yet the film is anything but perfect, and that’s ok. Suffering from inconsistent plot-points to breaking the rules that the film outlines, About Time is surely not a tightly-constricted narrative leap for the genre by any means. Regardless, the film casts an enchanting spell that not only lifts one’s spirit, but causes you to merely forget about the rules Curtis makes, and breaks.

Writer/director Richard Curtis has had quite a bit of luck in the romantic-comedy genre, making major waves penning Bridget Jones’s Diary, Love Actually, Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral. Although he has stated that About Time will be his final directorial venture, only behind the aforementioned Love Actually and Pirate Radio, Curtis has succeeded well beyond many of the directors and screenwriters who hoped to successfully recreate anything Nicholas Sparks‘ has made, with the exception of The Notebook, of course. Fresh, spontaneous and demanding emotions, Curtis has brought new light to the British romantic-comedy front and has made the kind of films one isn’t ashamed to laugh and cry at.

Once Tim finally meets Mary (Rachael McAdams), Tim knows he has found the reason to adequately use his time-traveling powers. At first glance, Gleeson and McAdams seem like a poor physical match for a film that at times could be distracting or awkward. Instead, much to the extent and reality in life, the two feed off one another’s unique characteristics splendidly. Tall, pale and with a hint of orange hair, Gleeson‘s unqiue on-screen charm is brashly alluring. McAdams on the other hand, stripped of all glam and instead substituted with a rather rag/tag girl-next door look, reminds us why she is cast in these roles and how easy it is to fall in love with her quirks and all.

McAdams, who is no stranger to the time-traveling love story narrative, venturing in her third quest as the desired love interest, first inThe Time Traveler’s Wife and two years later in Woody Allen’s acclaimed Midnight In Paris, enchants and reminds us just how adorable and likable she really is in these roles. Bringing a believable essence to the role of Mary, McAdams just may cement herself in time as the go-to, romantic-comedy poster girl.

As a love story, About Time succeeds. As a tale of morality, a lesson on making each day your last and as a film about the bond between father and son, the film triumphs. Gleeson and Nighy share some of the most sentimental and heart-wrenching moments of the film that are sure to get your eyeballs sweating with joy. Incandescent as father and son, the two actors shine as the heart and soul of the film.

As the pendulum swings closer to the end of the year, About Time will surely be atop my list of guilty cinematic pleasures of 2013, especially since I am such a sucker for hopeless romantic love stories with an underlining patriarchal theme. About Time may be a highly decorated cautionary tale of the beautiful moments in everyone’s seemingly mundane life and the short time we have to live it, but the film, whether romantically tied or generationally suggestive, is a movie about appreciating the little things. “Some days you want to re-live forever. Some days you want to live once”, and Richard Curtis and company really hammer that notion home with their newest film. Essentially, About Time is really all ABOUT LOVE, and we are alright with that.
  10. Mar 17, 2014
    i did not see the ending which was a bummer . i wish i can travel in time to fix my mistakes but i can't. i love rachel mcadams and i love this film . i am in 6th grade and i want my future to be perfect and have a good child and have a good wife thats why i am so nervous about the future you never know if your gonna have a good future or not . thats why i love this film here's whyi did not see the ending which was a bummer . i wish i can travel in time to fix my mistakes but i can't. i love rachel mcadams and i love this film . i am in 6th grade and i want my future to be perfect and have a good child and have a good wife thats why i am so nervous about the future you never know if your gonna have a good future or not . thats why i love this film here's why its about love , time , romance , and a good life . Expand
  11. Mar 16, 2014
    I watch a great many movies, and am usually disappointed, bored or frantic about the amount of money that was spent in order to make such drivel. And then along comes pure entertainment, wrapped in a neat little packaged called ABOUT TIME. If I don't nod off during the first quarter of the film - if I am totally engaged - laughing out loud all by myself -- weeping a few tears of joy atI watch a great many movies, and am usually disappointed, bored or frantic about the amount of money that was spent in order to make such drivel. And then along comes pure entertainment, wrapped in a neat little packaged called ABOUT TIME. If I don't nod off during the first quarter of the film - if I am totally engaged - laughing out loud all by myself -- weeping a few tears of joy at perfect moments in the film -- then I will be happy and feel that it was money well spent. I rarely urge others to see a film because we all have different tastes. My taste is: if I am entertained, made to feel good, and if I watch the credits rise up on the screen with a feeling of having been totally whisked away to a better world -- then I am happy. Forget American Hustle, forget Django Unchained; come away with a good taste in your mouth for once and watch ABOUT TIME. Well done! Expand
  12. Apr 6, 2014
    My husband and I enjoyed this movie very much. It was charming, sweet, funny and clever. Loved the characters. How refreshing to watch a movie that doesn't leave you in the doldrums. We liked it so much we invited our friends to watch it with us again. They loved it, too. I would like to see more movies like this produced. We are tired of the violence, ugliness, and darkness ofMy husband and I enjoyed this movie very much. It was charming, sweet, funny and clever. Loved the characters. How refreshing to watch a movie that doesn't leave you in the doldrums. We liked it so much we invited our friends to watch it with us again. They loved it, too. I would like to see more movies like this produced. We are tired of the violence, ugliness, and darkness of most movies produced today. Expand
  13. Jun 15, 2014
    I will introduce you about a movie which name is “About Time.“ The movie is a romantic comedy of Domhnal Gleeson who is famous for Harry Potter series and Rachel McAdams who is famous for Sherlock Holmes series. A main character who is a boy lives in a small town has a terrific magic. The magic is a skill of time traveling. After his father told him they have a skill of it, the boy alwaysI will introduce you about a movie which name is “About Time.“ The movie is a romantic comedy of Domhnal Gleeson who is famous for Harry Potter series and Rachel McAdams who is famous for Sherlock Holmes series. A main character who is a boy lives in a small town has a terrific magic. The magic is a skill of time traveling. After his father told him they have a skill of it, the boy always travels time whenever he wants. The boy wants to meet a true love. Then one day, he met an attractive girl at a bar. They fall in each other in first sight. They loved truly and got married. The whole story is about like this. I feel really cozy while watching the movie. The movie gave me a kind of tip to find a good partner. Before I watch the movie, I thought the only thing important of my lifetime companion is apperance. However, I realized that the more important than appearance is inner side beauty. In these sense, “About Time“ is didactic movie for people who fine their lover. Expand
  14. Aug 27, 2014
    About Time is a well crafted feel good movie. When the movie ends you will be smiling from ear to ear. I was very interested in Tim's trek through life with the ability to travel in time, but it is also not perfect. He still had to deal with hardships over his life. Its the perfect mix of romance comedy and drama. I really enjoyed Bill Nighy in the role of the father in the movie.
  15. Nov 9, 2014
    Absolutely extraordinary!
    Great act by all the players and most of all stunning direction and writing by Richard Curtis.
    The film is quite slowly but it's more than fit it, I recommend highly watching this film alone while imagining yourself as the main actor.
  16. Oct 20, 2014
    Watched this movie last night and can't believe the poor reviews I'm finding on here! While it did start off a little slow, it was extremely well crafted with a brilliant storyline. I actually couldn't stop crying even after the movie was over! It was a sweet love story (can't imagine any movie with Rachel McAdams not being just that!) and also included a very special bond betweenWatched this movie last night and can't believe the poor reviews I'm finding on here! While it did start off a little slow, it was extremely well crafted with a brilliant storyline. I actually couldn't stop crying even after the movie was over! It was a sweet love story (can't imagine any movie with Rachel McAdams not being just that!) and also included a very special bond between father and son. I'm shocked so many people didn't like this movie!! I absolutely loved it!! Expand
  17. Dec 16, 2014
    This was a warm movie that reminded me of the importance of family. Just like the other working title's movies, it was ambient and calm, which made me fluttered. The music contributes to making this movie beautiful. Even now when I think of its music, I can't stop smiling. I sometimes watch this one when I feel like it.
  18. Mar 7, 2015
    This was a very sweet and thoughtful film highlighting how momentary decisions can completely alter your life's path. I enjoyed the humor and wide range of emotions the story explored. This is one of my top ten favorite movies. I highly recommend watching it on a breezy summer night with a nice glass of wine and people you enjoy.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 8, 2013
    Maybe it's a touch twee, but Curtis' film is far too uplifting, too life-affirming and too good-natured to do anything but embrace.
  2. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Nov 7, 2013
    There’s a lot of comic and fantasy potential here, but much of it gets squandered.
  3. Reviewed by: Anthony Lane
    Nov 6, 2013
    What Rachel McAdams is doing in this nonsense is anyone's guess, but she must realize that the long journey from "Mean Girls" to Mary, with her mousy bangs and her timid pleas counts as a serious descent. [11 Nov. 2013, p.90]