5.9

1. Jun 28, 2012
    This history mashup follows the 16th president as he battles bloodsuckers and copes with Civil War (started by the Confederacy to keep slaves alive as food for Southern vampires). The illustrative period style is visually appealing, but the pacing is uneven. There are some dazzling, violent action sequences. I'm a huge fan of director Timur Bekmambetov and even though he manages toThis history mashup follows the 16th president as he battles bloodsuckers and copes with Civil War (started by the Confederacy to keep slaves alive as food for Southern vampires). The illustrative period style is visually appealing, but the pacing is uneven. There are some dazzling, violent action sequences. I'm a huge fan of director Timur Bekmambetov and even though he manages to contribute many of this signature touches to this film, it's not his strongest effort. Overall, it's an uneven, but entertaining fantasy. Expand
  2. Nov 5, 2012
    Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is like Underworld, except it tries to have a plot and tell an actual story. Big mistake. Not what your target audience is looking for.
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a better film than the movie Priest. The action is big and the plot is smart for a movie in a genre like this. Its an impressive summer movie.
  4. Nov 23, 2014
    This movie is not nearly as stupid as you'd expect it to be. Its not a comedy film because I think a lot of people thought it was. This film follows a pretty accurate timeline that is essentially the same as the life of Abraham Lincoln, it just fills in all the unknowns with vampires. You really learn some things from this movie. This film may motivate some young people to learn more aboutThis movie is not nearly as stupid as you'd expect it to be. Its not a comedy film because I think a lot of people thought it was. This film follows a pretty accurate timeline that is essentially the same as the life of Abraham Lincoln, it just fills in all the unknowns with vampires. You really learn some things from this movie. This film may motivate some young people to learn more about Abraham Lincoln. There is no need to be upset about this if you are American. Expand
  5. Mar 17, 2013
    Overall a very silly movie that really seems to have no real "flow" to it. Effects are decent, characters are charming and the action is gripping. Yet, the narrative is disjointed and all over the place. Clearly a real rookie for a director. Had this been given to a more experienced director, it would likely have at least been good, not excellent, but good.
  6. Aug 26, 2012
    NOTE: I have not read the novel
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER is a well-made, visually impressive and well acted adaptation that has both good 3D and impressive fight sequences, and surprisingly, a decent storyline.
  7. Jun 1, 2013
    It`s worth watching, but it`s Abraham Lincoln playing a Vampire Hunter so it can only be so good. I give them points for being unique but I`m sure you know that before watching the movie. I`t was interesting but nothing that had me asking for a sequel.I must say it was interesting how they mixed the facts with all the Bizarre stuff.
  8. Jun 24, 2012
    Apparently Abe Lincoln and Buffy have more things in common that we thought, a reminder that vampires, much like their mythical relative, zombies, can be shoehorned into pretty much anything. Such a strange concept this was, it's bound to be silly to match a president with blood-sucking half albinos, yet there's an appeal to the axe wielding kills, a true artistic butchery prowess that IApparently Abe Lincoln and Buffy have more things in common that we thought, a reminder that vampires, much like their mythical relative, zombies, can be shoehorned into pretty much anything. Such a strange concept this was, it's bound to be silly to match a president with blood-sucking half albinos, yet there's an appeal to the axe wielding kills, a true artistic butchery prowess that I have yet to enjoy much on cinema. Yes, the justified axe murdering is the star in this confusing horror sometimes comedy flick.

The plot depicts Abe's life from his traumatic childhood to his awkward part time job as a vampire hunter. It's rather predictable, with a woman falls madly in love with a young drifter, and the hunter is torn between his double life and his love. There's daunting secrets, conspiracy and such, but they are pretty flat. You're here to see people get slaughtered with axe, and Abe (Benjamin Walker), a tall hulking vengeful man, delivers just so. He has that idealist and innocent look, which works quite well on building a hero more than a president.

However the movie stands flimsily at the border on heavy subject, slavery, and ridiculousness, narcissistic vampires, who while thankfully do not sparkle, but strangely are resistant to sunlight. There's unnecessary corny over-the-top background for these blood sucking pseudo monsters, they are not as secretive as they should be as an organization whose agenda is creating utopia for their kind. Pretty much every vampire who's confronted will hiss in an exaggerated scary face, I really doubt they can survive that far if they're that flashy.

The action is definitely good, some of the creative ways to dispatch vampires are joyful to watch. It takes heavily on post-300 slow mo critical shots, which is good since the motion is quite smooth. Its worst flaw is it tries too hard on taking serious issues in lighter tone, thus creating an unbalanced story which is a tad too dark to be humorous and too silly to be thoughtful. If everything else fails, rest assure that between the uninteresting bits, there'll be decapitated vampires. 6/10
  9. Jun 8, 2013
    Now, Timur Bekmambetov is well known for the effects he uses in his movies and this is no exception. There is blood and gore all over the screen as death is meated out in many and varied ways, all in glorious slow motion. The trouble is we’ve already seen that kind of stuff before; there’s nothing new or particularly innovative here. Yes, it’s very well done; the effects guys did anNow, Timur Bekmambetov is well known for the effects he uses in his movies and this is no exception. There is blood and gore all over the screen as death is meated out in many and varied ways, all in glorious slow motion. The trouble is we’ve already seen that kind of stuff before; there’s nothing new or particularly innovative here. Yes, it’s very well done; the effects guys did an excellent job; but I would have liked to have seen something different. The plot; again disappointing, it just followed well documented events in Lincoln’s life and added a narrative that meant he had to do this or that to thwart the vampire hordes. Not exactly groundbreaking either. The performances were all pretty good although nobody really stood out and nobody looked like they were really stretched either. Over all I found it pretty disappointing; not quite as bad as ‘Jonah Hex’ (2010), but heading that way.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED (Unless you’re a die-hard vampire fan…)

My score: 4.8/10
  10. Jun 24, 2012
    Believe me, it's crap. The biggest mistake the film made: playing a 'ridiculous' premise completely straight. What a big disappointment. The premise is interesting but the whole thing lacks energy and believe it or not, has similar 'plot points to another 'vampire themed' film last year, 'Priest' albeit in a much different setting. If you really want to watch an Abraham Lincoln film, waitBelieve me, it's crap. The biggest mistake the film made: playing a 'ridiculous' premise completely straight. What a big disappointment. The premise is interesting but the whole thing lacks energy and believe it or not, has similar 'plot points to another 'vampire themed' film last year, 'Priest' albeit in a much different setting. If you really want to watch an Abraham Lincoln film, wait for Spielberg's effort next year. Expand
  11. Jun 27, 2012
    Don't get too seriously silly, don't you read the title? Lincoln seriously as vampire hunter, no kidding. I don't have any serious problem with it although suffer confuse script, uneven pacing and boo moment. Let me get this straight, watch this movie and enjoy America gothic with Russian craziness, Don't forget to google that fake story.
  12. Dec 20, 2012
    To be honest, when I heard Abraham Lincoln and Vampire Hunter in a same sentence, my first reaction was
  13. Nov 2, 2012
    lazy, boring, a typical movie to spend almost two hours sitting and killing time, does nothing, is a bit silly and totally lack of everything. next!!!!!
  14. Jun 23, 2012
    The movie was pretty decent. Interesting story and cool action scenes combined with a period of history I enjoy learning about. There isn't a lot to complain about. Fun summer movie to watch.
  15. Dec 9, 2012
    A great example of style over substance. The action is slick and edited well and the music is great but everything in between is so banal that I couldn't keep watching it. I thought it sounded like a funny concept and maybe it could have worked..but it was just boring.
  16. Jul 22, 2012
    Truly an amazing film in every respect. Meanwhile, I must say it was original and courageous choice to make a Lincoln Slayer. The story follows more or less the true life of the president in the midst of putting his secret life as a vampire hunter. The fun is guaranteed and there are never moments of boredom. The 3D is well done and the music can bring the viewer in action.
  17. Mar 10, 2013
    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother'sFour score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother's life. After discovering the dark secret that connects the slave trade to the vampires' food source, Lincoln trades in his axe for a prominent position in politics, where his words serve as a far greater weapon against his undead adversaries. ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER brings Seth Grahame-Smith's historic monster mash-up to the screen in a big way, with all of the overblown action sequences and wild special effects that make for fun, over-the-top summer blockbuster. While the deadpan humor may turn off many audience members that were expecting a parody or spoof, what makes it so oddly entertaining is that it isn't a comedy. It is played perfectly straight to the point of absurdity, earning big laughs along the way as Abe twirls his axe with deadly proficiency and carries himself like the Civil War's "Rambo." A finer actor couldn't have been chosen over Benjamin Walker, who puts in an excellent performance as the President. The vicious vampires are just as dark as the humor as well, although Rufus Sewell does not present a memorable villain as their leader, Adam. The main issue with the film lies in the aforementioned action sequences, which become far too grandiose for a period piece of this kind. What worked perfectly well in Timur Bekmambetov's earlier films, NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, reduces the imagery on screen to an over-stylized sense of cartoon violence, where a subtler approach would have benefited the character greatly. Still, there is plenty to enjoy in the unwritten history of old Honest Abe.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  18. Jul 29, 2013
    I love watching campy corn ball travesties but this movie was to abrasive to my soul. call me sad i had to take breaks to watch this. Maybe it was just me that day but it was cool but watch for ur self it was probably just me.
  19. Jul 6, 2012
    It's a pretty well made period vampire movie, if you like that sort of thing. But I kept wondering why Abraham Lincoln needed to be the historical figure main character and I never got an answer. The action is mostly well done. The history is difficult to reconcile with reality. But it was still fun to watch, even though the movie takes itself too seriously. But that earnestness isIt's a pretty well made period vampire movie, if you like that sort of thing. But I kept wondering why Abraham Lincoln needed to be the historical figure main character and I never got an answer. The action is mostly well done. The history is difficult to reconcile with reality. But it was still fun to watch, even though the movie takes itself too seriously. But that earnestness is also in a way what saves it from being as exploitive as the title suggests. Expand
  20. Aug 15, 2012
    Textbook example of a mindless blockbuster which fails to excite, breathe ANY new life in terms of its formulaic plot and avoid clichés. One of the worst films of the year!
  21. Jun 16, 2014
    This is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid andThis is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid and ridiculous - makeup are the top three outstanding features that I can figure out about this SH*T. 0 points Expand
  22. Jun 29, 2012
    There is absolutely nothing redeeming about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The movie was rotten from the start when it became clear that instead of making a fun movie like the title would suggest, the filmmakers tried to sell us a very real and serious picture, something that just isn't possible considering the outlandish themes present in it. At times the plot of the movie becomesThere is absolutely nothing redeeming about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The movie was rotten from the start when it became clear that instead of making a fun movie like the title would suggest, the filmmakers tried to sell us a very real and serious picture, something that just isn't possible considering the outlandish themes present in it. At times the plot of the movie becomes confusing and just down right ridiculous, even for a Vampire movie. Then, of course, there is the cast that didn't put any emotion into their characters they portrayed and seemed rather stoney for the entire duration of the movie. All this aside, you would at least expect the visual effects to be amazing, right? Wrong. The effects are laughably bad, and the many fight sequences are excessively "stylized" with jarring transitions between slow motion and real time. So, in summary, you shouldn't see this movie. Expand
  23. Jul 7, 2012
    I must say I laughed on this one way more than on most comedy movies, if one asked me to describe its genre, it'd be a trash movie, like Robert Rodriguez's Machete. While the story is absurd and quite dull, the movie shines in its action scenes. Seriously, the horses scene is so ridiculous it's even fun. Never thought I'd see a horse being thrown at Abraham Lincoln, after which he justI must say I laughed on this one way more than on most comedy movies, if one asked me to describe its genre, it'd be a trash movie, like Robert Rodriguez's Machete. While the story is absurd and quite dull, the movie shines in its action scenes. Seriously, the horses scene is so ridiculous it's even fun. Never thought I'd see a horse being thrown at Abraham Lincoln, after which he just mounts it and continues chasing the vampire with an axe. It's a nice movie, just don't take it too seriously. Expand
  24. Jun 22, 2012
    Ok to start with I thought this movie might be alright or a least a bit of fun but straight the way vampires in the sun along with Twilight will people never learn to mess with vampire mythology its just stupid . If that was not bad enough the story was poor the acting bad and the action scenes just did not work I would keep well away from this one if your a film or vamp fan my first zeroOk to start with I thought this movie might be alright or a least a bit of fun but straight the way vampires in the sun along with Twilight will people never learn to mess with vampire mythology its just stupid . If that was not bad enough the story was poor the acting bad and the action scenes just did not work I would keep well away from this one if your a film or vamp fan my first zero score very bad. Expand
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    Timur Bekmambetov (Director of "Wanted") brings us a side of Abraham Lincoln we never new about. . . . in slow motion, with an axe, who kills vampires. Does the plot sound stupid? Don't let it ruin the experience. As ridiculous as the plot may sound - "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is nothin' but a bloody, vampire killing, good time. The slow motion effects may be over used at times,Timur Bekmambetov (Director of "Wanted") brings us a side of Abraham Lincoln we never new about. . . . in slow motion, with an axe, who kills vampires. Does the plot sound stupid? Don't let it ruin the experience. As ridiculous as the plot may sound - "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is nothin' but a bloody, vampire killing, good time. The slow motion effects may be over used at times, but hey, it's still pretty damn entertaining to see Abraham Lincoln slice up vampires with an axe. I can now say he's my new favorite president. Expand
  26. Aug 11, 2013
    this movie was a fun twist to history with a interesting portrayal of the "bad guys" during the civil war. Fun action. Characters were poorly developed.
  27. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is based on a novel (which by the way has a different ending), and shows Abraham Lincoln, in an alternate world where he loses his mother to vampires, and fight against them in his revenge and eventually in a Civil War, where the South uses them as secret weapon. The script is mildly interesting and use historical facts, that were changed or omitted (eg the 4 children of Lincoln does not exist here), admixed with the central plot - the acting is good, but nothing worth of an Oscar. The most prominent and attractive feature is the photography of the movie that uses some cool effects (Matrix style) and color contrasts that are very interesting in several scenes. But there again: any script of other era with vampires would be cool anyway - the way the inspiration in Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice is more than obvious to me ... uncompromising, is a good fun action movie, but a poor movie overall in other aspects. Another advise: if you will watch it in normal LED / LCD / Plasmas Television the image is very good, but you see int he scenes that it was made to watch in 3D televisions. Rating: 6.5 / 10.0. Expand
  28. Mar 11, 2013
    As a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some filmsAs a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some films don't make logical sense, especially one feature a former US president killing vampires, but at least make it look good. Just Ugly! Expand
  29. May 31, 2013
    This is a surprisingly great film! I had doubts for this film, mainly because its Abraham Lincoln killing vampires, which actually sounds stupid, but I really enjoyed it. This may not have been the vampire movie we wanted, but it was a vampire film we needed! High props for this movie!

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.