5.9

1. Jun 16, 2014
    This is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid and ridiculous - makeup are the top three outstanding features that I can figure out about this SH*T. 0 points Expand
  2. Jul 29, 2013
    I love watching campy corn ball travesties but this movie was to abrasive to my soul. call me sad i had to take breaks to watch this. Maybe it was just me that day but it was cool but watch for ur self it was probably just me.
  3. Jul 21, 2013
    It's obvious to me that the makers are trying, not very successfully, to cash in on the hype around the Sherlock Holmes franchise. Some well crafted action sequences and watchable moody art direction aside, this is just a desperate attempt to literally make something out of not very much at all. The fictional story behind AL is laughable. And the reference to real life slavery and emancipation in poor taste. When you find your fast forwarding through the last half of the movie you know something's gone horribly wrong. Expand
  4. Mar 11, 2013
    As a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some films don't make logical sense, especially one feature a former US president killing vampires, but at least make it look good. Just Ugly! Expand
  5. Jan 3, 2013
    Stupid. Dumb. Weird. But still a good laugh for comedy people. But I like mostly action. so there isnt much more to say then tat. So I guess you can watch it yourself.
  6. Dec 9, 2012
    A great example of style over substance. The action is slick and edited well and the music is great but everything in between is so banal that I couldn't keep watching it. I thought it sounded like a funny concept and maybe it could have worked..but it was just boring.
  7. Nov 5, 2012
    Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is like Underworld, except it tries to have a plot and tell an actual story. Big mistake. Not what your target audience is looking for.
  8. Nov 2, 2012
    lazy, boring, a typical movie to spend almost two hours sitting and killing time, does nothing, is a bit silly and totally lack of everything. next!!!!!
  9. Aug 15, 2012
    Textbook example of a mindless blockbuster which fails to excite, breathe ANY new life in terms of its formulaic plot and avoid clichés. One of the worst films of the year!
  10. Aug 11, 2012
    It's just stupid. The actors bravely plow through the senseless dialoge. Idiotic action scenes put in for the 3D effect. This could have been a great movie. Sadly it's not.
  11. Aug 4, 2012
    wow what piece of crap a movie bout abraham lincoln as a vampire hunter come on this was so stupid vampire action look ok but rest of it come on who ya fooling.

this movie was just car crash waiting to happen action blah who is guy playing abe i never seen him in my life man one hit break a tree with a axe too far fetch
  12. Jul 13, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie, but there just really isn't much there. The action scenes are repetitive, and the basic continuity of the film is flimsy. While the book strived for historic accuracy, and followed Lincoln's life, this book really did no such thing.

Even the production of the movie is poor. In addition to continuity issues (the movie seemingly forgetting its own rules
    later on), we have almost laughably poor make-up, poor editting (one scene, where Sturges is telling Lincoln about "Adam", Lincoln's eye is still messed up from a savage beating, even though his eye had healed 3 cutaways prior), and bad use of 3-d (A major rule of 3-d is to never have objects very close to the far left or right, since they can only get picked up by one camera, and make the film hard to watch. This rule is violated every 3 to 5 minutes). The most laughable moment is when they show "Fort Sumter" on the bottom of a screen, then cut away to a battle in a field with troops charging each other (with no explanation that it wasn't Fort Sumter, which had no land battle, and only the death of one horse).

The book and the movie are completely different in many ways. The book is about making fun of history, the movie is about having an excuse to kill vampires with an axe. The stories are completely and utterly divulging. The book tries to stick to historical events. The movie makes up far more, and doesn't do a good job sticking to Lincoln's actual life. The most important difference: the book is good. The movie isn't.
  13. Jun 30, 2012
    I had hopes that this was going to be great movie because of Tim Burton producing it but I was very wrong! Almost everything about this film was bad. Do not go see this movie
  14. Jun 29, 2012
    There is absolutely nothing redeeming about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The movie was rotten from the start when it became clear that instead of making a fun movie like the title would suggest, the filmmakers tried to sell us a very real and serious picture, something that just isn't possible considering the outlandish themes present in it. At times the plot of the movie becomes confusing and just down right ridiculous, even for a Vampire movie. Then, of course, there is the cast that didn't put any emotion into their characters they portrayed and seemed rather stoney for the entire duration of the movie. All this aside, you would at least expect the visual effects to be amazing, right? Wrong. The effects are laughably bad, and the many fight sequences are excessively "stylized" with jarring transitions between slow motion and real time. So, in summary, you shouldn't see this movie. Expand
  15. Jun 24, 2012
    The director couldn't be bothered setting up his characters' emotional responses. He decided it was better to convey the characters' emotions by simply bludgeon you over the head with the dialogue. This movie was just awful.
  16. Jun 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been a good movie. This is all action scenes, it skips over what would have been story accompanied by lots of epic orchestra music. 5 seconds of fighting skips its the future with 5 seconds of fighting and so on trough the entire movie. The formula stays the same and it gets boring quickly. What little shreds of story there are get minced into meaninglessness. This reminds me of captain america, the way it is filmed and it's insincere scene-chopping is much the same.

Stupid kids should love this, but anyone with taste stay away.
  17. Jun 24, 2012
    Believe me, it's crap. The biggest mistake the film made: playing a 'ridiculous' premise completely straight. What a big disappointment. The premise is interesting but the whole thing lacks energy and believe it or not, has similar 'plot points to another 'vampire themed' film last year, 'Priest' albeit in a much different setting. If you really want to watch an Abraham Lincoln film, wait for Spielberg's effort next year. Expand
  18. Jun 22, 2012
    Jumped around from part to part way too fast and the plot in the movie deviated from the book wayy too much. Even with these flaws there were parts that I found funny and exciting but i think with a better director and if the plot was more in line with the book it could have been a great movie
  19. Jun 22, 2012
    Ok to start with I thought this movie might be alright or a least a bit of fun but straight the way vampires in the sun along with Twilight will people never learn to mess with vampire mythology its just stupid . If that was not bad enough the story was poor the acting bad and the action scenes just did not work I would keep well away from this one if your a film or vamp fan my first zero score very bad. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.