5.9

1. Nov 23, 2014
    This movie is not nearly as stupid as you'd expect it to be. Its not a comedy film because I think a lot of people thought it was. This film follows a pretty accurate timeline that is essentially the same as the life of Abraham Lincoln, it just fills in all the unknowns with vampires. You really learn some things from this movie. This film may motivate some young people to learn more about Abraham Lincoln. There is no need to be upset about this if you are American. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2014
    This is one of the best movies ever made
    It is the type of a good movie ,like a good book that can be watched over and over again
    Shows the true character of different individuals in society ,in a fictional way, by using vampire's
    A truly enlightening piece of Art
  3. Oct 24, 2014
    A surprisingly good film. While some people may call it overrated this film really does blend history with fantasy in a clever way. I honestly was surprised at how good the action scenes are, plus it has some great music and special effects. One of my favourite vampire films!
  4. Sep 28, 2014
    A painfully stupid, abysmally ridiculous over the top action packed movie. Exactly what you would expect from a movie named 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'. I am almost sure that the whole idea of the movie was to pack it with as much consecutive action and cheesiness as you can and make you cringe every now and then. Although occasional scenes seem serious and philosophical so you are basically left off wondering "what the hell? what did they make all those scenes for?". Also be sure to read and enjoy reviews of people doubting historical accuracy of the movie ^_^ Expand
  5. Jul 28, 2014
    Kuzey Güney savaşından ve Abraham Lincoln'den vampir hikayesi çıkarmak kimin aklına gelmişse helal olsun , değişik ve oldukça başarılı bir yapım. Zor bir iş yapılmasına karşın filmde mantık hatası yok. Gözünüzü ayırmadan keyifle seyrediliyor.
  6. Jun 16, 2014
    This is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid and ridiculous - makeup are the top three outstanding features that I can figure out about this SH*T. 0 points Expand
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't expect much when I got this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really was. The main actors really brought their characters to life and I really came to love Lincoln, Henry, Will and Speed. While the acting for some of the supporting characters did lack at certain times it didn't ruin the experience for me at all. The fight sequences were amazing and really gave the fell that they were fighting stronger, faster supernatural vampires. The plot twists in the film really kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would play out. I would definitely recommend this film and you will get your moneys worth out of it as long as you remember that this is a film about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires. Expand
  8. Dec 12, 2013
    It's a preposterous idea for a film, skeptic that I was I only saw it because my friends persuaded me, but it was a good film, most of the people who think otherwise seem to be overly sensitive Americans. I could understand all the bad reviews if this film claimed to be documentary but it doesn't, in retrospect it's no more ridiculous than any other vampire film
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    First of, even though I'm a broken record on low scores, "this movie is, according to reviewers, worse than the Twilight Saga (write it up there in the corner and see the scores for yourself)", and that was a must say because both use vampires in their stories and both stories change some details for their vampires as well.
    With the exception that this movie is actually good: the story is
    basically a reenactment of Lincoln as a Vampire Hunter, which does kind sound silly and I will admit I went inside wanting to know how it would work out, as I love reenactment of movies in a different way. And this movie did not disappointment at ALL: it's a fun action movie, with an actually interesting character, a nice story well implemented inside the actual history, and a very good resolution at the end that just takes the cake. It was pure fun and, really, my biggest gripes were maybe some weird choices for the vampires: in here, they are weak ALSO to silver (isn't that werewolves?), have no explaining for the lack of weakness to the sun (but at least they don't "f----ing" sparkle!), and that they can't apparently kill each other; however you'll won't bother and you'll just want to go on with the action and that few story elements it has (which I personally liked, but it could have been better).

Very good movie, worth a watch if you love these kind of reenactment movies and just silly-but-fun ideas behind.
  10. Oct 18, 2013
    I figured the critic score for this movie would have bombed, but I wasn't expecting the user scores to be so lukewarm either.

I found this movie to be a great use of time. It has everything a person could want! Lincoln taking on vampires? What's not to love? I found it to be great. My disappointment is that I'm pretty sure it doesn't show anything about the end of Lincoln's life, which
    is alright I suppose, but it's just something they could have added and made it more awesome, like Lincoln going to a theater and seeing a sharp toothed Boothe.

I like how the movie has a "this could have happened" feel to it, barring the fact that vampires don't actually exist. I'd recommend watching it.
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    this movie was a fun twist to history with a interesting portrayal of the "bad guys" during the civil war. Fun action. Characters were poorly developed.
  12. Jul 29, 2013
    I love watching campy corn ball travesties but this movie was to abrasive to my soul. call me sad i had to take breaks to watch this. Maybe it was just me that day but it was cool but watch for ur self it was probably just me.
  13. Jul 21, 2013
    It's obvious to me that the makers are trying, not very successfully, to cash in on the hype around the Sherlock Holmes franchise. Some well crafted action sequences and watchable moody art direction aside, this is just a desperate attempt to literally make something out of not very much at all. The fictional story behind AL is laughable. And the reference to real life slavery and emancipation in poor taste. When you find your fast forwarding through the last half of the movie you know something's gone horribly wrong. Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    Pure, stupid, matrix-esque vampire ass kicking by our 16th President. If you go into this expecting an Oscar worthy film you're going to have a bad time. If you go in expecting a fun action film you won't be disappointed.
  15. Jun 8, 2013
    Now, Timur Bekmambetov is well known for the effects he uses in his movies and this is no exception. There is blood and gore all over the screen as death is meated out in many and varied ways, all in glorious slow motion. The trouble is we’ve already seen that kind of stuff before; there’s nothing new or particularly innovative here. Yes, it’s very well done; the effects guys did an excellent job; but I would have liked to have seen something different. The plot; again disappointing, it just followed well documented events in Lincoln’s life and added a narrative that meant he had to do this or that to thwart the vampire hordes. Not exactly groundbreaking either. The performances were all pretty good although nobody really stood out and nobody looked like they were really stretched either. Over all I found it pretty disappointing; not quite as bad as ‘Jonah Hex’ (2010), but heading that way.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED (Unless you’re a die-hard vampire fan…)

My score: 4.8/10
  16. Jun 1, 2013
    It`s worth watching, but it`s Abraham Lincoln playing a Vampire Hunter so it can only be so good. I give them points for being unique but I`m sure you know that before watching the movie. I`t was interesting but nothing that had me asking for a sequel.I must say it was interesting how they mixed the facts with all the Bizarre stuff.
  17. May 31, 2013
    This is a surprisingly great film! I had doubts for this film, mainly because its Abraham Lincoln killing vampires, which actually sounds stupid, but I really enjoyed it. This may not have been the vampire movie we wanted, but it was a vampire film we needed! High props for this movie!
  18. Mar 17, 2013
    Overall a very silly movie that really seems to have no real "flow" to it. Effects are decent, characters are charming and the action is gripping. Yet, the narrative is disjointed and all over the place. Clearly a real rookie for a director. Had this been given to a more experienced director, it would likely have at least been good, not excellent, but good.
  19. Mar 11, 2013
    As a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some films don't make logical sense, especially one feature a former US president killing vampires, but at least make it look good. Just Ugly! Expand
  20. Mar 10, 2013
    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother's life. After discovering the dark secret that connects the slave trade to the vampires' food source, Lincoln trades in his axe for a prominent position in politics, where his words serve as a far greater weapon against his undead adversaries. ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER brings Seth Grahame-Smith's historic monster mash-up to the screen in a big way, with all of the overblown action sequences and wild special effects that make for fun, over-the-top summer blockbuster. While the deadpan humor may turn off many audience members that were expecting a parody or spoof, what makes it so oddly entertaining is that it isn't a comedy. It is played perfectly straight to the point of absurdity, earning big laughs along the way as Abe twirls his axe with deadly proficiency and carries himself like the Civil War's "Rambo." A finer actor couldn't have been chosen over Benjamin Walker, who puts in an excellent performance as the President. The vicious vampires are just as dark as the humor as well, although Rufus Sewell does not present a memorable villain as their leader, Adam. The main issue with the film lies in the aforementioned action sequences, which become far too grandiose for a period piece of this kind. What worked perfectly well in Timur Bekmambetov's earlier films, NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, reduces the imagery on screen to an over-stylized sense of cartoon violence, where a subtler approach would have benefited the character greatly. Still, there is plenty to enjoy in the unwritten history of old Honest Abe.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  21. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic flic of a film. It doesn't always take itself seriously, and the fighting can be over the top, but this is a fun movie, with some very good poetic justice on the vamps, good drama scenes without becoming angsty, and is definitely worth 9 out of 10.
  22. Jan 12, 2013
    I was somewhat prepared to be disappointed by this movie due to its rather bizarre title and story but to my enjoyment I wasn
  23. Jan 8, 2013
    TL;DR A good bad action movie that is hardly taking itself seriously, while featuring one of the most prominent characters in American history.

Abraham Lincoln stars as a normal man turned vampire slayer bent on revenge, until he discovers an even more insidious plot in America. The idea in itself would make perfectly fine sense in any other world but once you slap it in colonial
    America, its absurdly ridiculous. It doesn't help that the action is so overly nonsensical at times that you can't help but laugh at how silly it is. There is no amazing dialogue here, and the delivery is subpar, but there will be moments that make you smile and laugh. Overall, just some decent mindless fun. Expand
  24. Jan 3, 2013
    Stupid. Dumb. Weird. But still a good laugh for comedy people. But I like mostly action. so there isnt much more to say then tat. So I guess you can watch it yourself.
  25. Dec 20, 2012
    To be honest, when I heard Abraham Lincoln and Vampire Hunter in a same sentence, my first reaction was
  26. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is based on a novel (which by the way has a different ending), and shows Abraham Lincoln, in an alternate world where he loses his mother to vampires, and fight against them in his revenge and eventually in a Civil War, where the South uses them as secret weapon. The script is mildly interesting and use historical facts, that were changed or omitted (eg the 4 children of Lincoln does not exist here), admixed with the central plot - the acting is good, but nothing worth of an Oscar. The most prominent and attractive feature is the photography of the movie that uses some cool effects (Matrix style) and color contrasts that are very interesting in several scenes. But there again: any script of other era with vampires would be cool anyway - the way the inspiration in Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice is more than obvious to me ... uncompromising, is a good fun action movie, but a poor movie overall in other aspects. Another advise: if you will watch it in normal LED / LCD / Plasmas Television the image is very good, but you see int he scenes that it was made to watch in 3D televisions. Rating: 6.5 / 10.0. Expand
  27. Dec 9, 2012
    A great example of style over substance. The action is slick and edited well and the music is great but everything in between is so banal that I couldn't keep watching it. I thought it sounded like a funny concept and maybe it could have worked..but it was just boring.
  28. Nov 27, 2012
    I had very low expectations for this. The combination of Abraham Lincoln and vampires seemed too strange to work, however I think it was done very successfully. Although the movie was not exactly true to history, the story intertwined with vampire action was really enjoyable. It is not your ordinary action film however I would recommend watching this.
  29. Nov 8, 2012
    Vampires vs The President of United States? cool huh, Maybe this movie is a bit predictable because it has been the influence of most Vampire movies not only in United States but as well as foreign films. the movie goes exciting as it tackles the history plus it superb effects and as well of this full packed action that will never let you bored. In conclusion this is the father of vampire films before the others! Expand
  30. Nov 5, 2012
    Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is like Underworld, except it tries to have a plot and tell an actual story. Big mistake. Not what your target audience is looking for.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.