5.9

1. Jun 22, 2012
    An amazing action flick composed of fictional history and vampire ass-kicking! Even though the film has its flaws, the over all win is the action. If you're yearning for amazing fight scenes, excellent set designs and a skilled president, this is your movie.
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    Jumped around from part to part way too fast and the plot in the movie deviated from the book wayy too much. Even with these flaws there were parts that I found funny and exciting but i think with a better director and if the plot was more in line with the book it could have been a great movie
  3. Jun 27, 2012
    I actually laughed at some of the action in this movie. Not because it was bad, but because it was so over the top ridiculous I couldn't help but be amused. By the same director who did the bullet-bending "Wanted," and if you liked that one you'll probably have fun with this. If not, or if the trailer and concept of a revenge seeking, vampire-killing Abraham Lincoln doesn't put a smile on your face, go ahead and skip. High art and drama is no where to be found here. If you love a good bad action movie, you'll love it. Expand
  4. Jun 22, 2012
    Ok to start with I thought this movie might be alright or a least a bit of fun but straight the way vampires in the sun along with Twilight will people never learn to mess with vampire mythology its just stupid . If that was not bad enough the story was poor the acting bad and the action scenes just did not work I would keep well away from this one if your a film or vamp fan my first zero score very bad. Expand
  5. Jun 24, 2012
    The director couldn't be bothered setting up his characters' emotional responses. He decided it was better to convey the characters' emotions by simply bludgeon you over the head with the dialogue. This movie was just awful.
  6. Jul 2, 2012
    Oh man, this movie... let me tell you my experience. My friends and I like to go see movies that look corny and bad (like Skyline and things of that nature) at non busy theaters in the middle of the day so that we're the only ones in the theater and do laugh-along commentary, sort of like it's MST3K. We went to this movie to do just that. It looked like a corny movie with OK action and a bad story, and reading reviews confirmed this. What did we get when we sat in that empty theater and watched it, though? We got a gripping experience with awesome action, intense excitement, awesome acting and plot. An all around awesome movie that we all left saying that it was one of the best movies we had all seen in a long time. Go see this movie. You will not be disappointed, and you will not be laughing along. Expand
  7. Jun 25, 2012
    I can't believe critics are complaining that this movie conflicts with history. The movie is called 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' what did you expect? Lmao. This is probably the second best new movie I've seen this year but that's not saying much... not much at all.
  8. Jun 22, 2012
    Don't expect too much from this film, it's just what the title suggests, Abe Lincoln killing vampires... with his silver ax. It delivers on that very well, abandoning all inhibitions or historical accuracy. During the film, I really found it better to leave all knowledge of the Civil War or Lincoln himself at the door and simply enjoy the fun, surprisingly well staged action movie that I was presented with. All subjects covered are grossly inaccurate but aren't quite caricatures, which is what I was afraid of. The action is fantastic, owing many shots and sequences to films like the Matrix but are kept fairly original.Benjamin Walker and his co-star Dominic Cooper give adequate to good performances for their admittedly shallow roles. Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Jimmi Simpson all do what supporting actors should do, augment the plot and roles of the main characters, and Rufus Sewell plays a fun villain. Don't see this movie for scares; if you're looking for a dark, serious tale this really isn't it. It's more what Diehard or even The Patriot would have been like with Vampires, good (if slightly trite) action, shallow plot, great sets and atmosphere. I liked it, despite my love of historical accuracy and long shots. If you're looking for some surprisingly different fun at the cinema, you will too. Happy hunting. ^_^ Expand
  9. Jun 23, 2012
    This is a very strange film, I'll start by saying I knew nothing about it before I went and was honestly expecting it to be some horror/comedy/action crossover. It jumps about far too much and doesn't seem to know what type of film it wants to be which makes for a confusing experience. On the plus side the action scenes are unbelievable (I'm not going to spoil anything but the horse chase is something else!), the cinematography looks beautiful and the actors all play their parts very well. It's certainly not a badly made film, but the plot really needed a bit more focus. I did have a laugh watching this film although whether that's the intention of the creators I'm not sure. Expand
  10. Jun 26, 2012
    Perspective: I have never read the book or Wiki page for that matter

Expectations: The trailers introduced a wild concept that had enough outlandish action to warrant my attention

Delivery: This movie doesn't waste much time getting to the point as characters are introduced, the atmosphere is set, as Abe answers the call to adventure and finishes his training within the first 30mins
    before jumping directly into the thick of things. It has just enough romance (thankfully, not too much), and some brotherhood-ish moments to add some dramatic balance to the action, a few twists sprinkled in to spice things up a bit. its incredibly rewarding to watch Ole Honest Abe spinning, kicking, and chopping the crap outta the undead If you can except the outlandish concept of Abe Lincoln hunting and fighting vampires, and except the obvious propaganda and subliminal messaging that comes with any account of U.S. history, its a pretty ridiculous action movie that's probably a lot better than it should be. Expand
  11. Jun 22, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a wickedly-fun, over-the-top vampire slashfest that requires total suspension of disbelief. Taken from the novel by author Seth Grahame-Smith (who also wrote the screenplay), Hunter is historical fiction on steroids, requiring total suspension of disbelief and a healthy appetite of the macabre to take it seriously. But once those barriers are removed, Hunter is a wild ride, almost challenging its audience with such a ridiculous plot that no amount of sane historical inquiry can be applied. After witnessing the murder of his mother by his father's former slave boss Jack Barts (Csokas) when he was nine, the now-adult Abraham Lincoln (Walker) decides to exact revenge by first getting drunk at a bar. There, he meets the European-stylized Henry (Cooper), who attempts to discourage Lincoln from carrying out such folly. Soon, Lincoln has Barts dead on the ground, or so he thinks. Barts is really a vampire, and the human trafficking he conducts represents food for the growing vampire population in the South. Henry steps in to save Lincoln's life, but only with the promise that he join Henrys campaign to slay the escaped Barts and the other night crawlers. Soon, the former rail splitter is doing just that, but not before several funny and well-done sequences with Henry 'training' Lincoln with his fists. An unconventional man, Lincoln won't use standard weapons to kill blood-suckers, instead choosing one of a rail splitter to carry out his task. Covered in silver, Lincoln's axe becomes the anvil for his war against those who killed his mother. The work of a vampire hunter is a night job, and Lincoln must maintain a low profile by working as a store clerk for friend Joshua Speed (Johnson). There, Lincoln meets Mary Todd (Winstead), quite against the wishes of Henry, who demands 'no connection, no children' from his disciple. Courted by Senator Stephen Douglas (the uncredited Alan Tudyk), Smith interjects a bit of historical irony, as Douglas and Lincoln will eventually debate the issue of slavery throughout Illinois in 1858. As Lincoln wins Todd's hand and begins to ascend through the ranks of political society, his vampire body count begins to rise. This merits the attention of head vampire Adam (Sewell), who sends his assistant (supermodel Erin Wasson) to stop Lincoln. As the Civil War begins and moves quickly to the critical Battle of Gettysburg, Lincoln must decide if he'll continue to fight Adam, protect his family, or try to save the nation from a South littered with vampires and slaveholders.

Director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) bathes Vampire in slow-motion visuals (think vampires meet 300),Matrix-like stunts, and a horse chase that might become an instant classic. Unlike some green-screen directors whose actors appear stolid, uncomfortable, and perhaps incapable of imagining the action, Bekmambetov's subjects flow through each sequence, carrying out bloody acts of aggression in a way that looks and feels like gruesome ballet. Walker plays a terrific Lincoln, as does Cooper's playboy Henry. There's not one miscast here, with the beautiful Winstead offering nice visual breaks from all the carnage. The 3D transfer (whether it was post-produced or shot in 3D) is easily one of the best of the year, showing off a possible new trend of creating lifelike depth rather than the totally unsatisfying in-your-face style of Clash of the Titans. Composer Jackman (X-Men: First Class) leads the audience through a soundtrack that's dark, pulsing, and serves the overall feel of the story very well. There are some bumps and misfires along the way, but the overall effect and look of the picture is highly entertaining. There's a lot left out from the Vampire novel that would have been interesting to see played out on the big screen, including Lincoln's meeting with none other than Edgar Allan Poe, who also received star treatment this year in the under-appreciated but better The Raven. However, given the fact that shooting to world premiere took only one year, it's amazing the 105-minute film looks as good as it does: credit Producer Tim Burton with helping to pull that off. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is presidential author Doris Kearns-Goodwin's worst nightmare. World-renowned historians like her might not want to watch the film, based on the way it selectively uses historical facts to advance the story, not to accurately depict significant events as they unfolded. But baring that small population of history enthusiasts, Vampire will appeal to fans of the book as well as newcomers who should be impressed by how unafraid it is of its own bombast. It's purely fun to watch, the acting is solid, and the 3D transfer is actually better than Pixar's Brave. It should more than make up for its paltry $70 million budget and outperform its bloated Battleship and John Carter competitors with a style that's completely over the top and proud of it.
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    While is does fall from the book on almost everything except characters and idea it was a great action movie. I was hoping that it would be the same as the book, but was still very pleased with this movie. I think people were just turned off by the whole idea of it. As a fan of action movies and alternative history I highly recommend the book and the movie a little less.
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a fantastic film when I went to the cinema last to see it last night. The plot in my opinion was fine, revenge and kill vampires. What more do you need? Benjamin Walker did a brilliant job of portraying a young and mid-aged Lincoln who is a bad ass. This made me feel Lincoln as a president the best of all time.
    I felt emotional in some scenes which was
    a good feeling. This film has a good action scenes and nice shock moments, the ones where you don't know when a vampire will show up.

This movie was a great movie, loved every minute of it including my friend. Forget the critics as we should call them, go see this movie and respect good ol' Lincoln.
  14. Jun 24, 2012
    Apparently Abe Lincoln and Buffy have more things in common that we thought, a reminder that vampires, much like their mythical relative, zombies, can be shoehorned into pretty much anything. Such a strange concept this was, it's bound to be silly to match a president with blood-sucking half albinos, yet there's an appeal to the axe wielding kills, a true artistic butchery prowess that I have yet to enjoy much on cinema. Yes, the justified axe murdering is the star in this confusing horror sometimes comedy flick.

The plot depicts Abe's life from his traumatic childhood to his awkward part time job as a vampire hunter. It's rather predictable, with a woman falls madly in love with a young drifter, and the hunter is torn between his double life and his love. There's daunting secrets, conspiracy and such, but they are pretty flat. You're here to see people get slaughtered with axe, and Abe (Benjamin Walker), a tall hulking vengeful man, delivers just so. He has that idealist and innocent look, which works quite well on building a hero more than a president.

However the movie stands flimsily at the border on heavy subject, slavery, and ridiculousness, narcissistic vampires, who while thankfully do not sparkle, but strangely are resistant to sunlight. There's unnecessary corny over-the-top background for these blood sucking pseudo monsters, they are not as secretive as they should be as an organization whose agenda is creating utopia for their kind. Pretty much every vampire who's confronted will hiss in an exaggerated scary face, I really doubt they can survive that far if they're that flashy.

The action is definitely good, some of the creative ways to dispatch vampires are joyful to watch. It takes heavily on post-300 slow mo critical shots, which is good since the motion is quite smooth. Its worst flaw is it tries too hard on taking serious issues in lighter tone, thus creating an unbalanced story which is a tad too dark to be humorous and too silly to be thoughtful. If everything else fails, rest assure that between the uninteresting bits, there'll be decapitated vampires. 6/10
  15. Jun 23, 2012
    The movie was pretty decent. Interesting story and cool action scenes combined with a period of history I enjoy learning about. There isn't a lot to complain about. Fun summer movie to watch.
  16. Jun 25, 2012
    When one attends a film about a former United States President slaying unholy creatures of the night, one does not expect a beautifully written, tear-jerking, dramatic masterpiece. One expects awesomeness, which Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter delivers.

It is, first and foremost, an action film so the quality of the action seems the logical starting place for this review.
    The fight
    scenes are glorious testaments to ingenuity, shining with the kind of creative violence normally presented by serial killers. Every single battle is perfectly choreographed so as to be visually impressive and, at the same time, believable and in keeping with Lincoln's go-to fighting style of "Desperate Brutality".
    Expect to see Mr. Lincoln kill many vampires with the closest sharp/heavy object or piece of scenery to hand. My personal favourite moment is when a panicked vampire, fleeing through a field, frantically picks up a passing horse and attempts to club Lincoln to death with it.

Which is not to diminish the non-violent aspects of the film. In a story featuring The Great Emancipator as the lead protagonist, the issue of slavery and the Civil War between the Union (anti-slavery) and the Confederacy (pro-slavery) were bound to rise up out of the setting and into the plot, something that AL:VH takes perfectly in it's stride and uses to bridge the gap from angry, young Lincoln who hates vampires to wise, experienced Lincoln who loves freedom, a progression that fits perfectly into the narrative.

Which is essentially the plot of the story. Like a video-game character, Lincoln goes from fighting one vampire to fighting a dozen of them to fighting an army (the confederacy being conveniently run by vampires) until, eventually, his crusade against vampires becomes a crusade against evil (specifically the evil of Racial Inequality) culminating, in true Action-Film mentality, with Abraham and his black BFF fighting vampires side by side atop a moving train.

Lincoln is portrayed by Benjamin Walker, a relative newcomer to the industry, but he excels in the role, performing a youthful and elderly Lincoln with the same degree of believability. He is backed up by his vampire-hunting posse of Dominic Cooper (The Devil's Double), Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker) and Jimmi Simpson (Breakout Kings), all of whom perform excellently.

To conclude, AL:VH has no illusions of grandeur. It's an action film, and a bloody good one.
  17. Aug 15, 2012
    Textbook example of a mindless blockbuster which fails to excite, breathe ANY new life in terms of its formulaic plot and avoid clichés. One of the worst films of the year!
  18. Jul 6, 2012
    It's a pretty well made period vampire movie, if you like that sort of thing. But I kept wondering why Abraham Lincoln needed to be the historical figure main character and I never got an answer. The action is mostly well done. The history is difficult to reconcile with reality. But it was still fun to watch, even though the movie takes itself too seriously. But that earnestness is also in a way what saves it from being as exploitive as the title suggests. Expand
  19. Jun 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off the pacing is way too fast, as they jump from scene to scene very quickly, its hard to follow sometimes as a result. The first few vampire fights are shot sloppily as the camera cuts around so much that its hard to enjoy the fight as a result ( I heard audible "what the f***s" from other audience members at the showing i was at). For a movie about Abe Lincoln killing vampires, it also took itself way too seriously at parts, which would be fine if it was like that the entire movie, but just as you start to buy into it, there's a ridiculous sequence to take you out of it (horse chase sequence I'm looking at you). However the acting is surprisingly solid for a movie of this title, and everyone does a solid job, (although the old age makeup for Mary Elizabeth Winstead was awful as she still looked 20 years younger than Abe). There are a couple of standout sequences such as the plantation fight, and the train climax, and just seeing fully aged Abe killing vampires with an axe is pretty awesome. All in all, don't go into this movie expecting a masterpiece (why would you anyway?), but it does have its fun moments. Just be sure to check your brain at the door. Expand
  20. Jun 8, 2013
    Now, Timur Bekmambetov is well known for the effects he uses in his movies and this is no exception. There is blood and gore all over the screen as death is meated out in many and varied ways, all in glorious slow motion. The trouble is we’ve already seen that kind of stuff before; there’s nothing new or particularly innovative here. Yes, it’s very well done; the effects guys did an excellent job; but I would have liked to have seen something different. The plot; again disappointing, it just followed well documented events in Lincoln’s life and added a narrative that meant he had to do this or that to thwart the vampire hordes. Not exactly groundbreaking either. The performances were all pretty good although nobody really stood out and nobody looked like they were really stretched either. Over all I found it pretty disappointing; not quite as bad as ‘Jonah Hex’ (2010), but heading that way.

SteelMonster’s verdict: NOT RECOMMENDED (Unless you’re a die-hard vampire fan…)

My score: 4.8/10
  21. Jun 28, 2012
    This history mashup follows the 16th president as he battles bloodsuckers and copes with Civil War (started by the Confederacy to keep slaves alive as food for Southern vampires). The illustrative period style is visually appealing, but the pacing is uneven. There are some dazzling, violent action sequences. I'm a huge fan of director Timur Bekmambetov and even though he manages to contribute many of this signature touches to this film, it's not his strongest effort. Overall, it's an uneven, but entertaining fantasy. Expand
  22. Dec 9, 2012
    A great example of style over substance. The action is slick and edited well and the music is great but everything in between is so banal that I couldn't keep watching it. I thought it sounded like a funny concept and maybe it could have worked..but it was just boring.
  23. Nov 2, 2012
    lazy, boring, a typical movie to spend almost two hours sitting and killing time, does nothing, is a bit silly and totally lack of everything. next!!!!!
  24. Jun 27, 2012
    Don't get too seriously silly, don't you read the title? Lincoln seriously as vampire hunter, no kidding. I don't have any serious problem with it although suffer confuse script, uneven pacing and boo moment. Let me get this straight, watch this movie and enjoy America gothic with Russian craziness, Don't forget to google that fake story.
  25. drm
    Jul 3, 2012
    I wasn't going to see this film, but a friend really wanted to go, so I obliged him. I had no expectations for this film at all. It is a graphic novel movie adaptation, in every way. I'll start with the plot. It's preposterous, but at least it had one, which is a precious commodity these days. Much the way the Persian Army was demonized in Frank Miller's '300', we have to suspend the disbelief that the C.S.A.-era South has been infiltrated by a vampiric cult. If I was from the South, I might take objection to that characterization. We also have to believe that old honest Abe was some sort of ninja kung fu powerhouse. It's a stretch, but necessary, and shot really well in the Legendary Pictures style. The whole vampiric curse thing is bent all out of shape, where werewolf rules and daywalking are suddenly permissible. All in all, I thought the actors did a great job, considering what they had to work with. The effects were decent, although some of the action scenes are so ridiculously impossible, you can't help but laugh out loud. Ultimately, I found it to be an entertaining piece of fluff. I have no desire to watch it again, or purchase it on DVD, but it's fun once. Expand
  26. Nov 2, 2013
    First of, even though I'm a broken record on low scores, "this movie is, according to reviewers, worse than the Twilight Saga (write it up there in the corner and see the scores for yourself)", and that was a must say because both use vampires in their stories and both stories change some details for their vampires as well.
    With the exception that this movie is actually good: the story is
    basically a reenactment of Lincoln as a Vampire Hunter, which does kind sound silly and I will admit I went inside wanting to know how it would work out, as I love reenactment of movies in a different way. And this movie did not disappointment at ALL: it's a fun action movie, with an actually interesting character, a nice story well implemented inside the actual history, and a very good resolution at the end that just takes the cake. It was pure fun and, really, my biggest gripes were maybe some weird choices for the vampires: in here, they are weak ALSO to silver (isn't that werewolves?), have no explaining for the lack of weakness to the sun (but at least they don't "f----ing" sparkle!), and that they can't apparently kill each other; however you'll won't bother and you'll just want to go on with the action and that few story elements it has (which I personally liked, but it could have been better).

Very good movie, worth a watch if you love these kind of reenactment movies and just silly-but-fun ideas behind.
  27. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic flic of a film. It doesn't always take itself seriously, and the fighting can be over the top, but this is a fun movie, with some very good poetic justice on the vamps, good drama scenes without becoming angsty, and is definitely worth 9 out of 10.
  28. Aug 11, 2012
    It's just stupid. The actors bravely plow through the senseless dialoge. Idiotic action scenes put in for the 3D effect. This could have been a great movie. Sadly it's not.
  29. Jul 27, 2012
    I read the book before going to this, and I was VERY disappointed in how off they could be. Some of the characters that are in the book AREN'T even in the movie! And the most famous quote in the book isn't that sets the twist at the end. But if you went to this blind and not have reading the book then I could see you appreciating the action and the creative story. Some of the acting was pale and emotionless, a somewhat confusing story, but had amazingly choreographed fight scenes. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't go out of your way to see it. Expand
  30. Jun 27, 2012
    Timur Bekmambetov (Director of "Wanted") brings us a side of Abraham Lincoln we never new about. . . . in slow motion, with an axe, who kills vampires. Does the plot sound stupid? Don't let it ruin the experience. As ridiculous as the plot may sound - "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is nothin' but a bloody, vampire killing, good time. The slow motion effects may be over used at times, but hey, it's still pretty damn entertaining to see Abraham Lincoln slice up vampires with an axe. I can now say he's my new favorite president. Expand
  31. Jun 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been a good movie. This is all action scenes, it skips over what would have been story accompanied by lots of epic orchestra music. 5 seconds of fighting skips its the future with 5 seconds of fighting and so on trough the entire movie. The formula stays the same and it gets boring quickly. What little shreds of story there are get minced into meaninglessness. This reminds me of captain america, the way it is filmed and it's insincere scene-chopping is much the same.

Stupid kids should love this, but anyone with taste stay away.
  32. Oct 18, 2013
    I figured the critic score for this movie would have bombed, but I wasn't expecting the user scores to be so lukewarm either.

I found this movie to be a great use of time. It has everything a person could want! Lincoln taking on vampires? What's not to love? I found it to be great. My disappointment is that I'm pretty sure it doesn't show anything about the end of Lincoln's life, which
    is alright I suppose, but it's just something they could have added and made it more awesome, like Lincoln going to a theater and seeing a sharp toothed Boothe.

I like how the movie has a "this could have happened" feel to it, barring the fact that vampires don't actually exist. I'd recommend watching it.
  33. Jun 26, 2012
    I enjoyed it, if you can get over the crazy idea that Abe Lincoln hunted vampires. There are some standout great scenes in it, the train scene, the horse chase scene. It's full of action, the bad guys have some good dialogue and it's genuinely sad at one point. Abe really makes you root for the good guys. 7.5 outta 10. I say go see it.
  34. Aug 26, 2012
    NOTE: I have not read the novel
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER is a well-made, visually impressive and well acted adaptation that has both good 3D and impressive fight sequences, and surprisingly, a decent storyline.
  35. Jul 21, 2013
    It's obvious to me that the makers are trying, not very successfully, to cash in on the hype around the Sherlock Holmes franchise. Some well crafted action sequences and watchable moody art direction aside, this is just a desperate attempt to literally make something out of not very much at all. The fictional story behind AL is laughable. And the reference to real life slavery and emancipation in poor taste. When you find your fast forwarding through the last half of the movie you know something's gone horribly wrong. Expand
  36. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a better film than the movie Priest. The action is big and the plot is smart for a movie in a genre like this. Its an impressive summer movie.
  37. Jun 27, 2012
    This movie knew exactly what it was: Abe Lincoln killing vampires. This movie far exceeded my expectations. It was over the top in an extremely funny way and the director knew it. This is not a great master piece of film but not every movie needs to be. I never once had my smile leave my face while I was watching this movie. It was up surd and hilarious.
  38. Jul 1, 2012
    Didn't have high expectations (got dragged to it by a friend) but I really enjoyed the movie. Some gorgeous visuals, occasionally inventive use of 3D, and a fun overall concept. Above all I was not BORED, which is hard to say about most other movies. This is not a bad film, no matter what some people say. And I loathe fanboy crap.
  39. Jun 24, 2012
    Believe me, it's crap. The biggest mistake the film made: playing a 'ridiculous' premise completely straight. What a big disappointment. The premise is interesting but the whole thing lacks energy and believe it or not, has similar 'plot points to another 'vampire themed' film last year, 'Priest' albeit in a much different setting. If you really want to watch an Abraham Lincoln film, wait for Spielberg's effort next year. Expand
  40. Jul 22, 2012
    Truly an amazing film in every respect. Meanwhile, I must say it was original and courageous choice to make a Lincoln Slayer. The story follows more or less the true life of the president in the midst of putting his secret life as a vampire hunter. The fun is guaranteed and there are never moments of boredom. The 3D is well done and the music can bring the viewer in action.
  41. Jun 29, 2012
    There is absolutely nothing redeeming about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The movie was rotten from the start when it became clear that instead of making a fun movie like the title would suggest, the filmmakers tried to sell us a very real and serious picture, something that just isn't possible considering the outlandish themes present in it. At times the plot of the movie becomes confusing and just down right ridiculous, even for a Vampire movie. Then, of course, there is the cast that didn't put any emotion into their characters they portrayed and seemed rather stoney for the entire duration of the movie. All this aside, you would at least expect the visual effects to be amazing, right? Wrong. The effects are laughably bad, and the many fight sequences are excessively "stylized" with jarring transitions between slow motion and real time. So, in summary, you shouldn't see this movie. Expand
  42. Dec 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is based on a novel (which by the way has a different ending), and shows Abraham Lincoln, in an alternate world where he loses his mother to vampires, and fight against them in his revenge and eventually in a Civil War, where the South uses them as secret weapon. The script is mildly interesting and use historical facts, that were changed or omitted (eg the 4 children of Lincoln does not exist here), admixed with the central plot - the acting is good, but nothing worth of an Oscar. The most prominent and attractive feature is the photography of the movie that uses some cool effects (Matrix style) and color contrasts that are very interesting in several scenes. But there again: any script of other era with vampires would be cool anyway - the way the inspiration in Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice is more than obvious to me ... uncompromising, is a good fun action movie, but a poor movie overall in other aspects. Another advise: if you will watch it in normal LED / LCD / Plasmas Television the image is very good, but you see int he scenes that it was made to watch in 3D televisions. Rating: 6.5 / 10.0. Expand
  43. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie was a lot better than I thought after I heard the title. The story is good and it's cool how they fit it in and made it work with history. I bought the 3d Bluray edition and if you have a 3d TV it's definitely worth it the 3d is very good In this movie! Anyone who likes fictional and historical type movies is sure to like this. Highly recommended!
  44. Jun 24, 2012
    Filled with action giving a amazing time in theater, but it has it's weaknesses, There are problems with acting and the myth behind vampires is mast up in it. Al the negative parts can and will be forgotten by the amazing set designed and fight scenes. Overall its an okay movie.
  45. Mar 10, 2013
    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother's life. After discovering the dark secret that connects the slave trade to the vampires' food source, Lincoln trades in his axe for a prominent position in politics, where his words serve as a far greater weapon against his undead adversaries. ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER brings Seth Grahame-Smith's historic monster mash-up to the screen in a big way, with all of the overblown action sequences and wild special effects that make for fun, over-the-top summer blockbuster. While the deadpan humor may turn off many audience members that were expecting a parody or spoof, what makes it so oddly entertaining is that it isn't a comedy. It is played perfectly straight to the point of absurdity, earning big laughs along the way as Abe twirls his axe with deadly proficiency and carries himself like the Civil War's "Rambo." A finer actor couldn't have been chosen over Benjamin Walker, who puts in an excellent performance as the President. The vicious vampires are just as dark as the humor as well, although Rufus Sewell does not present a memorable villain as their leader, Adam. The main issue with the film lies in the aforementioned action sequences, which become far too grandiose for a period piece of this kind. What worked perfectly well in Timur Bekmambetov's earlier films, NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, reduces the imagery on screen to an over-stylized sense of cartoon violence, where a subtler approach would have benefited the character greatly. Still, there is plenty to enjoy in the unwritten history of old Honest Abe.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  46. Aug 4, 2012
    wow what piece of crap a movie bout abraham lincoln as a vampire hunter come on this was so stupid vampire action look ok but rest of it come on who ya fooling.

this movie was just car crash waiting to happen action blah who is guy playing abe i never seen him in my life man one hit break a tree with a axe too far fetch
  47. Jul 7, 2012
    I must say I laughed on this one way more than on most comedy movies, if one asked me to describe its genre, it'd be a trash movie, like Robert Rodriguez's Machete. While the story is absurd and quite dull, the movie shines in its action scenes. Seriously, the horses scene is so ridiculous it's even fun. Never thought I'd see a horse being thrown at Abraham Lincoln, after which he just mounts it and continues chasing the vampire with an axe. It's a nice movie, just don't take it too seriously. Expand
  48. Jul 8, 2012
    Interesting. Obviously the whole idea of Abraham Lincoln killing vampires is hilarious, but it was shockingly serious. Not comedic. However, this movie was VERY entertaining. Overall it's defiantly worth watching.
  49. Jun 28, 2012
    AL:VH was not the movie I thought it would be. Short of a few inconsistencies with vampire/vampire hunting abilities that were probably for the sake of the action scenes this movie was surprisingly serious and well executed. The story reminds me of older mythologies that were probably at one time based on real people and events that we enjoy while never for a second believing to be true (Beowulf, King Arthur, Hercules). I found it very enjoyable as such, a sort of Neo-Mythology. Expand
  50. Jun 30, 2012
    I had hopes that this was going to be great movie because of Tim Burton producing it but I was very wrong! Almost everything about this film was bad. Do not go see this movie
  51. Jun 27, 2012
    The most captivating and enjoyable history lesson you'll ever get. Actually, surprisingly-accurate, given the outlandish premise. Great action, characters you find yourself interested in, and solid writing (for a Timur Bekmambetov film). I was a little unsure going in, but the film pleasantly surprised me with an atmospheric tone, tintype-style cinematography, and generous helpings of appropriate CGI. Expand
  52. Dec 20, 2012
    To be honest, when I heard Abraham Lincoln and Vampire Hunter in a same sentence, my first reaction was
  53. Jun 28, 2012
    I didn't read the book, so I went in expecting exactly what I got: a very fun, over the top cheese fest full of action!

If you are looking for some transcendentally deep emotional interaction, or a sweeping epic full of jaw dropping meaning, you're in the wrong place.
  54. Jun 29, 2012
    Abraham Linclon actually had a strong potential at the beginning, but every seconds it weakness shown which makes this movie becomes forgettable. not a memorable movie from this year.
  55. Jun 30, 2012
    I actually thought this was entertaining for a vampire flick. There is a "tongue-in-cheek" quality to the performances which makes this absurd story a fun frolic.
  56. Jun 30, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter tells a story about Abraham before he becomes president. Instead of frat parties with embarrassing ending, Abraham spend his awkward youth finding his place in society while fighting vampires. **Contains no spoilers**

In my experience movie vampires comes in two forms. There's the sophisticated and lusty seducer or the powerful beast from hell. Abraham is
    fighting the latter, which indicates the direction the director wanted to take. Although they don't hide that Abraham was an articulate politician, in this scenario they make him into a broody action hero. President Lincoln as an axe throwing vampire slayer doesn't fit with any version of you've met in history class and this is why I'm giving this movie such a high score. The movie is over the top, a little silly and very creative. It's an action movie with no realistic tendencies where anything can happen. It forced me to leave my brain behind and I have never left the movie theatre so inspired to think outside the box. One the downside; the movie is an action movie and did well under that category. Unfortunately, as a blockbuster it also tried to include everything else. There was betrayal, individual struggle between right and riches, good and evil, slavery, there was romance, death, and lots of memorable quotes narrated by Lincoln. Did these half-hearted attempts at catering for everything ruin the movie? No, but only because those parts were easily ignored. In the end I love how the pure creativity made it feel like I, for the first time in a long time had seen a original movie. Watch it just for the sake of watching a New blockbuster for once. Expand
  57. Jul 13, 2012
    I really wanted to like this movie, but there just really isn't much there. The action scenes are repetitive, and the basic continuity of the film is flimsy. While the book strived for historic accuracy, and followed Lincoln's life, this book really did no such thing.

Even the production of the movie is poor. In addition to continuity issues (the movie seemingly forgetting its own rules
    later on), we have almost laughably poor make-up, poor editting (one scene, where Sturges is telling Lincoln about "Adam", Lincoln's eye is still messed up from a savage beating, even though his eye had healed 3 cutaways prior), and bad use of 3-d (A major rule of 3-d is to never have objects very close to the far left or right, since they can only get picked up by one camera, and make the film hard to watch. This rule is violated every 3 to 5 minutes). The most laughable moment is when they show "Fort Sumter" on the bottom of a screen, then cut away to a battle in a field with troops charging each other (with no explanation that it wasn't Fort Sumter, which had no land battle, and only the death of one horse).

The book and the movie are completely different in many ways. The book is about making fun of history, the movie is about having an excuse to kill vampires with an axe. The stories are completely and utterly divulging. The book tries to stick to historical events. The movie makes up far more, and doesn't do a good job sticking to Lincoln's actual life. The most important difference: the book is good. The movie isn't.
  58. Jul 4, 2012
    Loved it. FANTASTIC acting IMO and the story was incredible. It is nice to also have an actual vampire movie back on the screen. It was made out to be completely believable (if vampires really existed of course) and made good ol' Honest Abe out to be pretty bad ass. Great movie for any Sci-fi fan, bad movie for closed minded people with no imagination.
  59. Jul 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i loved this movie it was a great thriller i was a little disappointed in the ending because it wasn't how it ended in the book but i still loved the end because it was super funny over all loved the movie and you should definitely go see it if you haven't yet Expand
  60. b3_
    Jul 14, 2012
    I am not a fan of vampire themed movies, but this movie had s..l..o...w motion so why not? I can give this movie a 6/10 only because I knew what I was going to get when entering the cinema. Reasonable action scenes and not much else. I was entertained throughout the movie, but it will soon take its place on my seen and forgotten list. I was not a fan of Dominic Cooper in this film as his character reminded me of a weak copy of R.Downey jr's characters. Expand
  61. Jul 22, 2012
    Just saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I have lots of mixed feelings towards this movie so lets see if I can attempt to review it. First of all, one of the reasons I love film so much is because it allows us to see all of these absolutely crazy and impossible things. So President Lincoln as a kick-ass vampire slayer? Bring it on. I'm totally game for a ridiculous plot like that. But there is a difference between a ridiculous plot and the way it is executed. I think playing this movie completely straight is smart but many times the movie seemed to buy into the cheese factor, mainly with the dialog. If the movie took itself way more seriously through out the entire movie then it would have been even better. It seemed to very carefully walk that line of full-fledged movie and totally corny Sci-Fi movie. Another thing that didn't help was the pacing. It was kinda all over the place.

As far as the action goes it was great... when ever there was action. I'm saying this movie is extremely light on action, I'm just saying that i was expecting way more than what we got. So those critics claiming wall to wall action? Don't read into that to much. But when we did get action it was great. The climatic train sequence was amazing and just watching The President of the United states wielding an axe like a total bad ass and slicing up vamps was a lot of fun. There was an action sequence with horses that ended up being much more cheesy than it looked in the trailer but other than that the action is really solid. And speaking of President Lincoln, Benjamin Walker was PERFECT as Abraham Lincoln. He completely sold Lincoln as a killer of vampires. The whole cast was great as well. Another thing I felt the movie did well was incorporating the actual history in the secret history of Honest Abe. I think they really did a good job of balancing out Lincoln's secret life as a Vamp Killer while also showing him actively pursue to become president. As the movie was coming to a close I thought, "Ok, this was pretty ridiculous but still admittedly awesome movie. Not the best of the Summer but not the worst" And then all of a sudden the movie ends in such a way that it completely changed my mindset on the movie. It took the ridiculousness of my "Ridiculously Awesome" description of the movie and completely blew it up. The little tag at the end of the movie just made this movie completely awesome and some how it made all of that cheesiness worth it. The ending made me totally buy into the cheese factor. Knowing now how it ends I am extremely anxious to go back and watch it to see if my complaints have disappeared. I would absolutely kill to see a sequel to this movie based on the way it ends.

All in all I enjoyed the movie and like I said earlier, It's not the best movie of the summer, nor is it the worst. I'd give it a solid C+. But I wonder if that score might go up over the next few days because I can't stop thinking about that ending and how it completely changed the way I viewed everything that came before. So if you got nothing better to do this weekend and if you've already seen Brave, then I'd suggest this movie to anyone who saw the trailer and was intrigued by what they saw. If you saw the trailer and didn't like it then I don't think the movie will change your mind.
  62. Aug 18, 2012
    This is one of the most underrated movies I have seen in quite a while. I expected an over-the-top zombie action flick with little substance, plot, or real artistic flourish. I experienced nearly the opposite. Early on, the casting felt spot on and the characterizations, while not the epitome of acting, were certainly far better and more nuanced than say, the recent episode of Batman. From an early scene where we are catapulted into the fright of a zombie attack to a beautifully creative palette of a zombie chase atop a horde of horses I was drawn further into the period. In scenes reminiscent of the painting of that era and the landscapists of the time, the art direction was simply beautiful.

The metaphors of vampires, evil, and the civil war were all enjoyable on the screen and fairly well played. While I have heard that some considered this a fantasy aimed at lessoning the moral burden of the 'white man' in the role of slavery, it certainly didn't feel that way. Unfortunately, it does, however, portray Lincoln as someone seemingly more concerned with the fate of at least one close African-American who had been born free but chased for years.

All in all I am looking forward to seeing the movie a second time before it leaves theatres. Even my wife, who is typically not particularly fond of action movies enjoyed the movie enough to want to see it a second time.
  63. Oct 10, 2012
    You know this film does has its moments. But overall it is a really strange film that comes together too quickly with often ridiculous results. I won't go into detail when regarding the American civil war other than "lolwut?" The actions scenes are actually quite good but the measure of Abraham's strength versus a vampire is unbalanced to say the least.

It all ends with a somewhat 90s
    menagerie of explosions and last minute quips. Good for a Sunday afternoon but don't expect any depth in the films story or its characters. Expand
  64. Jan 12, 2013
    I was somewhat prepared to be disappointed by this movie due to its rather bizarre title and story but to my enjoyment I wasn
  65. Nov 27, 2012
    I had very low expectations for this. The combination of Abraham Lincoln and vampires seemed too strange to work, however I think it was done very successfully. Although the movie was not exactly true to history, the story intertwined with vampire action was really enjoyable. It is not your ordinary action film however I would recommend watching this.
  66. Nov 5, 2012
    Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is like Underworld, except it tries to have a plot and tell an actual story. Big mistake. Not what your target audience is looking for.
  67. Nov 8, 2012
    Vampires vs The President of United States? cool huh, Maybe this movie is a bit predictable because it has been the influence of most Vampire movies not only in United States but as well as foreign films. the movie goes exciting as it tackles the history plus it superb effects and as well of this full packed action that will never let you bored. In conclusion this is the father of vampire films before the others! Expand
  68. Jun 1, 2013
    It`s worth watching, but it`s Abraham Lincoln playing a Vampire Hunter so it can only be so good. I give them points for being unique but I`m sure you know that before watching the movie. I`t was interesting but nothing that had me asking for a sequel.I must say it was interesting how they mixed the facts with all the Bizarre stuff.
  69. Mar 17, 2013
    Overall a very silly movie that really seems to have no real "flow" to it. Effects are decent, characters are charming and the action is gripping. Yet, the narrative is disjointed and all over the place. Clearly a real rookie for a director. Had this been given to a more experienced director, it would likely have at least been good, not excellent, but good.
  70. Jan 8, 2013
    TL;DR A good bad action movie that is hardly taking itself seriously, while featuring one of the most prominent characters in American history.

Abraham Lincoln stars as a normal man turned vampire slayer bent on revenge, until he discovers an even more insidious plot in America. The idea in itself would make perfectly fine sense in any other world but once you slap it in colonial
    America, its absurdly ridiculous. It doesn't help that the action is so overly nonsensical at times that you can't help but laugh at how silly it is. There is no amazing dialogue here, and the delivery is subpar, but there will be moments that make you smile and laugh. Overall, just some decent mindless fun. Expand
  71. Jan 3, 2013
    Stupid. Dumb. Weird. But still a good laugh for comedy people. But I like mostly action. so there isnt much more to say then tat. So I guess you can watch it yourself.
  72. Mar 11, 2013
    As a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some films don't make logical sense, especially one feature a former US president killing vampires, but at least make it look good. Just Ugly! Expand
  73. May 31, 2013
    This is a surprisingly great film! I had doubts for this film, mainly because its Abraham Lincoln killing vampires, which actually sounds stupid, but I really enjoyed it. This may not have been the vampire movie we wanted, but it was a vampire film we needed! High props for this movie!
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    Pure, stupid, matrix-esque vampire ass kicking by our 16th President. If you go into this expecting an Oscar worthy film you're going to have a bad time. If you go in expecting a fun action film you won't be disappointed.
  75. Jul 29, 2013
    I love watching campy corn ball travesties but this movie was to abrasive to my soul. call me sad i had to take breaks to watch this. Maybe it was just me that day but it was cool but watch for ur self it was probably just me.
  76. Aug 11, 2013
    this movie was a fun twist to history with a interesting portrayal of the "bad guys" during the civil war. Fun action. Characters were poorly developed.
  77. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't expect much when I got this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really was. The main actors really brought their characters to life and I really came to love Lincoln, Henry, Will and Speed. While the acting for some of the supporting characters did lack at certain times it didn't ruin the experience for me at all. The fight sequences were amazing and really gave the fell that they were fighting stronger, faster supernatural vampires. The plot twists in the film really kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would play out. I would definitely recommend this film and you will get your moneys worth out of it as long as you remember that this is a film about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires. Expand
  78. Dec 12, 2013
    It's a preposterous idea for a film, skeptic that I was I only saw it because my friends persuaded me, but it was a good film, most of the people who think otherwise seem to be overly sensitive Americans. I could understand all the bad reviews if this film claimed to be documentary but it doesn't, in retrospect it's no more ridiculous than any other vampire film
  79. Jun 16, 2014
    This is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid and ridiculous - makeup are the top three outstanding features that I can figure out about this SH*T. 0 points Expand
  80. Jul 28, 2014
    Kuzey Güney savaşından ve Abraham Lincoln'den vampir hikayesi çıkarmak kimin aklına gelmişse helal olsun , değişik ve oldukça başarılı bir yapım. Zor bir iş yapılmasına karşın filmde mantık hatası yok. Gözünüzü ayırmadan keyifle seyrediliyor.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.