4.2

1. Jun 21, 2013
    It gets a 1 because Will Smith was in it. His son has very little talent and acts like he is afraid the entire time the movie is on. Kind of like a little girl. He needs to man up or get some acting lessons. The movie itself was not good by itself.
  2. Jun 22, 2013
    Overall in my opinion After Earth was a decent film, and would be great if you focus on Kitai's adventure to actually get the beacon. I feel as if they put too much focus on the dad's injured leg, I mean, WHO CARES? We see an action movie to see action, not Will Smith acting as if he's drunk. All my friends I saw the movie with say it was a good film, but it went a little too far with the drama. Jayden was crying half of the time, and Will Smith was just acting as if his favorite show got canceled. You could easily swap, "I'm sorry, but I've lost contact with our son" to "This sucks, but Spongebob will not come on tonight." The effects were amazing and the suit I wish I had(I mean, who doesn't want a wingsuit for any time at all and the design was amazing), but the focus on survival and everything sucks. I mean, what is this MINECRAFT? And these people are humans, whats with the canisters of Oxygen-Stabilizing Banana liquid to going to do to help? Overall, the visuals were great, but the acting and dramatic scenes were poor and not needed. Expand
  3. Jun 25, 2013
    what really cheesed me off about this movie was the big bird. I liked some of the spaceship designs and felt the story of the encounter with aliens could have been more played out, probably make a good movie in itself. The main star was wasted, just wasted, if your going to see this movie for him then don't bother he may as well not be in it.
  4. Jun 26, 2013
    It was sooo bad... I'm not going to repeat too much what others said, but I didn't enjoy this movie, felt I wanted to sleep at moments, and the mise-en-scene was really bad The story and universe seem to have been thought of in 5 minutes, and not expanded beyond the first idea And the sets were ugly !

Also, the extra-terrestrial enemy concept was lousy and dumb Smelling fear Easy,
    let's not be scared How could a civilization so advanced not thing of developping, I don't know, other senses for their army of pet monsters ?!

I didn't even know it was a Shyamalan movie It explained a lot of things, but the main guy to blame is Smith, wanting to push forward his son. And he pushed so hard he failed The director seem to have been hired out of pity !

It was awful...
  5. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a good movie, excellent family movie. The theme takes a couple of roads. The theme of the fight for one-self, over coming the internal things that hold us back is universal. The theme of son longing for Father... wanting to live up to the realized lofty godhead figure of the Hero Father is also universal. Not feeling the negative reviews I have read thus far. Makes me feel something is afoot. The savior of humanity is a Black Man. The Hero of the film is a Black child/Man. Nah' mean. I don't remember seeing a film (sci-fi) where it is a serious film with African Men as the hero's who over come enemies both within and with-out. Great film see it for yourself, take your 7 and up kids with you. You and they will not be disappoinnted.. Expand
  6. Nov 24, 2013
    No suspense, forgettable action (at least the chase by the monkeys was funny), bad acting even from Will Smith (Jaden Smith frowns intensely to show he is afraid), a silly main idea (people do not choose their feelings from a menu), predictable ending (the kid suddenly transforms into a killing machine). There are very few visual effects and the science fiction elements are weak. The original main idea didn't include any aliens and it's evident: you could replace the monster with a grizzly bear, the spaceship with an airplane and the oxygen ratios with medicine and the plot would remain the same. Moreover the interior of the ship seems to be made of recyclable materials and after the crash there are long white things like toilet paper hanging from everywhere. Besides, why do humans in the future use blades instead of firearms? No wonder they get massacred by blind aliens!
    argonautis.eu
  7. Jul 10, 2013
    This movie is junk. Flat out junk. The visuals at some points are pleasing to the eye, but only minimally. If you watch it, I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, but at least go out and watch it to see what I am talking about.
  8. Jul 23, 2013
    Sadly not very impressive. The main antagonist monsters were just not scary or creative or anything. The scenery in the beginning was futuristic but colorless and unimaginative. The main part of the movie took place in a extraterrestrial jungle where several dangers awaited the protagonist. However non of these was rememberable. I can't even recall all of these dangers. The whole thing was just missing some polish. The world didn't seem any intriguing or special. It was all so... plain. Expand
  9. Jul 26, 2013
    more and more it seems as if sixth sense was an anomaly
    and jaden smith couldn't act his way out of a paper bag
    this was disappointing but not unexpected
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    There really is only one word to describe this movie: Boring. While the film has some great visuals and special effects, it can't cover up how lifeless this sci-fi tale is and it DEFINITELY can't cover up how bad of an actor Jaden Smith is (luckily your dad is nice enough to give and pay for a career). Will Smith, normally a good actor, matches his son in the lifeless department and his failure is only multiplied when you realize this movie was almost ENTIRELY his baby. This is the one time you have an M. Night Shymalan movie where you can actually put the blame on someone OTHER than M. Night Shymalan. Expand
  11. Jul 29, 2013
    Weak performances no likable people this is a fun movie but really 1000 years goes by and and then its over and i go to wal-mart Not much hear feels like The Last Airbender Not good but least the place had A/C
  12. Jul 31, 2013
    All the new space movies lack depth however compared to oblivion this one is a lot more engaging and easy to follow ...I think jayden smith acting for a kid was awesomeness ...he is pretty much main and only character ....but can't give the highest score because film lacks depth and details .but great acting
  13. Oct 10, 2013
    It was a big disappointment. Here has been impressive at times but most of the CGI is very weakly, there is nothing simple story twists and turns, and sometimes can even be flattened. Will Smith's worst movie theater I think.
  14. Aug 29, 2013
    One thing I don't understand about critics is how they don't criticize anything at all. One thing I also don't understand about critics is how they always dislike movies, I think it's becoming more obvious that critics don't like action movies, so why even watch the movies? To act tough and use a thesaurus?

This movie was great, although the acting by Jaden Smith was a little bit rusty,
    I don't expect anything better considering this is Jaden Smith's first high-budget movie. Either way, the movie was great. I rate movies by the amount of chills I get, and although this movie's chill-o-meter was in no way on par with Star War's chill-o-meter. I give this movie a 6 out of 10.

Chills: 1
  15. Oct 5, 2013
    Yet another example of overly critical critics. I really don't see why everyone hates this movie. I watched it; not knowing what to expect. It was actually really good. I heavily disliked the futuristic cities in the opening sequences, but other than that and the kind of crappy CGI creatures and the stupid looking spaceships, it was great. I loved the beautiful exotic scenery, and liked the story. I think the actors, for the most part, did really well in their roles (except for the first and last few scenes). The criticism against Will and Jaden was really uncalled for, as except for a handful of scenes they did excellent.

If you liked this review, please mark it as helpful and see my other many reviews on a wide range of movies and TV shows.
  16. Sep 27, 2013
    Another movie made attempting to relate to gamers. It failed. Not only it does not make any sense from the beginning to the end, it also lacks soul.

Maybe its target public is 8 year old kids.
  17. Sep 18, 2013
    Will Smith, After Earth “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” Now that is just a awesome qoute! gets me amped. Dont get why this movie scored so low, I enjoyed every minute of it... check it out!
  18. Sep 21, 2013
    I don't understand why so many people are hating on this film, and why it is getting such a poor rating. It's nothing special, sure, but it's not bad. I see people complaining about Jaden's acting, but I thought it was fine (it wasn't outstanding, and there is room for improvement, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he's just a kid, give him a break), and so was Will's. The effects were nice (I won't go into details, as that would cause spoilers, but there is one scene in particular that is pretty awesome), and I liked the story. The one thing I have to complain about is that it would have been a much better and cooler movie if there was a more varied and larger number of obstacles and challenges for Kitai to overcome. For example he could have come across a whole lot more of various types of creatures. There was even one scene where I feel they completely left out a good potential confrontation. But oh well. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, and I'm sure there are many others like me who will as well. Expand
  19. Oct 11, 2013
    After Earth is one of those movies that you just know is going to be terrible. Will Smith and his son are terrible actors. The script for the movie sucks, it dosint make any sense. The motives for what they are doing dosint make any sense. The world, characters, and script of this movie suck, this is one of the worst movies ive ever seen. M. Night Shamalan is a terrible director. I fell asleep in the first 40 minutes of the movie. I say skip this movie you wont find anything redeeming from watching it. Expand
  20. Dec 2, 2013
    This is terrible movie making at its finest. Confusing introduction, lack of character development and an incredibly bland storyline. They have the insane technology of colour-changing suits when danger is real around them... you'd think with such advanced technology, they would have at least a GPS system on them rather than having Kitai go on an unnecessary journey through the surprisingly bright wilderness. Just because humans are out of Earth's equation, does not mean animals and plants would just flourish like that especially since they implied humans literally up" the planet. The concept was unique... but like most cases, it was poorly executed. Expand
  21. Oct 2, 2013
    As a sci-fi enthusiast I feel deeply disappointed. The story is predictable in 70% from the title alone, but after 5 min prologue, you know 90%. CGI is cheap and blending is terrible, sets look cheap, acting feels amateur and inconsistent... there is no world building except for this 5 min prologue and plot holes are so big you could fit Will Smith with his whole family inside them :P Why, oh why, was it let out of the editing room is beyond me. Worst movie of the year, one of the worst sci-fi pieces I've seen... Expand
  22. Oct 11, 2013
    I think M. Night is growing as a director. His sense of visual style is amazing. His dialogue is poetry. The characters are very real. He is one of the best fantasy directors out there right now. Can't wait to see what's next. After Earth was extremely visceral experience. I'm looking for more.
  23. Feb 1, 2014
    Let's see. So the message is no there's no such thing as fear. Ok. think will take a dive in this tank of box jellyfish. Hey, that is an enlightening message since it means no more watching this crap...
  24. Feb 2, 2014
    t has more flaws (uninteresting characters, slow pacing, small storyline, predictability) than strengths but After Earth is focused on its plot and offers enough visual thrills to qualify as a good movie.
  25. Jan 31, 2014
    Really good film. It has elements to it that actually made me talk to the screen, I love this film. A few parts of the film make me think its a bit far fetched but apart from that I love it!
  26. Feb 1, 2014
    I liked it,great efforts of all sides great visual effects and the Smiths were very good...i felt that the fatherhood was present between Will Smith and Jaden Smith...i say it is a good movie to watch.
  27. Jan 30, 2014
    I watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use more detail but I've seen a lot worse movies than this. I recommend, this movie to anyone interested in a good movie. Expand
  28. Feb 17, 2014
    I watched 15 minutes of this, which was all I could stand. Nepotism has already been mentioned in these reviews and I can only agree. The lack of emotion from Will and Jaden was difficult to watch. Perhaps Jaden has a future as an actor but he needs to attend a decent acting school. At the time this movie was made his acting skill was dreadful and it exposed his lack of talent. It takes more than an attractive face to be a successful actor.

I think his Dad is blinded by the deep affection he has for both his children.
  29. Feb 24, 2014
    I must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his part well, he is suppose to be emotionless. You have to try to put yourself in the future folks, and understand what is going on. You have to pay attention to a sci-fi. They say the story is thin. Does every movie have to have a story that is all over the place. This is a survival, adventure sci-fi. rate it as such, and do not review it if you do not like those types of movies. Stick to your dramas and don't rate this as one. Good job, need more movies with visions of the future. Expand
  30. Mar 26, 2014
    Smith wanted everyone to know that he basically directed this and Shyamalan was more or less the cameraman - I bet he wished he could take that back...
  31. Apr 11, 2014
    Although this is a very (unintentionally) funny movie, I decided I wouldn't rate it a 8/8 since I feel like Metacritic is a bit more serious than IMDB when it comes it movies. Anyway After Earth is a movie filled with plot-holes, horrible acting, technical errors, awkward accents, and Moby Dick. Moby Dick....... Why is Moby Dick even a thing in this movie? I'm sure it COULD HAVE been a subtle reminder of Jaden and Will's family but good lord M. Night you didn't have to shove in our faces as much as you did. Anyway the accents are funny, the acting is goofy, the technical errors are noticable, and Moby Dick is completely unnecessary. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.