4.1

1. Nov 22, 2013
    Just started watching this film and what's going on with the narrator? It sounds like an English guy doing an incredibly bad American accent, which wouldn't be quite as bad if his acting wasn't so terrible. Reminds me of the dumb kid who gets forced to read out to the class. Given up already.
  2. Feb 14, 2014
    The only thing raising this turkey above zero is the fact that, as far as I could tell, there weren`t any microphones poking into any shots or any sets collapsing in the background. The movie is so bad I just stopped watching and went to bed about 2/3 of the way in, which is rare.
    I never really liked Smith. He has goofy and some weird tough guy act which makes him look as if he`s being zapped with a cattle prod, and if you don`t like those he`s out. But his son is worse. Ranging between whining about his father and crying to tantrums, his most regular appearance is of a dull boy who has just been shot in the ass with a tranquilizer gun. Fortunately he is so bad that in a lame attempt to hide this fact he doesn`t have any lines in a lot of scenes, but just stands there nodding or repeating the other actor`s lines, like some slow kid who has been brought up in front of the class to be mocked and ridiculed. It would be funny if it wasn`t so unbearably sanctimonious.
    I suppose we could admire Smith JR for trying to lead a movie right in the middle of his awkward phase, sporting his freshly shaved 14 hair mustache look; but personally I`m not sure I`d have hired him to play a cow in a primary school nativity play. He constantly has this weird, annoying grimace on, which I didn`t realize was supposed to convey fear until I read reviews online after suffering through the movie, And this leads us the the "message" in this awful turkey, which is that fear is bad and that you can`t kill space bugs when you`re afraid.
    Detailing all the weird plot holes in After Earth is an entire study in itself, and due to my profound lack of interest in the movie I probably missed a few, but here goes anyway: First of all humans in the movie are able to build inter stellar space craft but apparently not guns of any kind, which is presumably why they are being hunted by blind bugs. In the movie`s only promising moment Will Smith gets sucked out of a crashing space ship far above the canopy of the forest, and for a second you are tricked into believing that the director has just killed off his overpaid, overrated Hollywood degenerate 15 minutes into the movie, leaving his untalented son to lead the movie by himself, as a sort of girlish, black Tom Hanks Castaway in space. But then he miraculously reappears on the ground almost immediately; unconscious and with two broken legs, but exactly as robotic and dull as before. Then the most comical parts of the movie occur when the incapable son is sent to retrieve a transmitter from the tail of the vehicle, which crashed where Will Smith`s corpse should probably have landed. According to the lifeless Will Smith night time brings intense cold which ravages the land so that any humans caught outdoors will instantly freeze to death, even though every single stinking scene in the movie is set in lush forest surroundings. So the question is: if the cold will kill Will`s brain damaged son instantly, how come all the trees still have leaves on and baboons can live there because it`s so nice and warm?
    Never mind this nonsense though because the solution to this weird problem is "hot zones" at regular intervals between the ship from which the immobilized Will Smith is directing his comatose progeny and the tail to which said son must travel. As long as he reaches a "hot zone" every evening before the harmless cold kills him he`ll be all fine and dandy. How convenient! How a grown man could have written such awful trash is a mystery, as is how he might then have been able to convince another grown man to direct it for him, dragging their names and the names of all associated with them into the mud.
    Every aspect of this movie, short of some of the special effects and I guess pretty shots of forest (the one not having been killed by the intense cold I mentioned), is absolutely horrible. I would rather download old episodes of Lost in Space from the mid 60s than watch After Earth again, special effects be damned! By far and away the worst movie of 2013 that I`m aware of. And Smith JR should go back to school at once.
  3. Aug 24, 2014
    A mediocre sci-fi movie with all the necessary elements for an entertaining time, but often predictable and not quite managing to amaze or dazzle.

Also, there was a lot of gore in this movie, considering the low rating. Just because the body parts are from animals, and the violence is "fantasy" violence in most cases (the human bodies not being overly mangled), this was definitely touching the upper limit of the PG-13, in my opinion. Not that it matters to an older viewer, but the themes in the movie were surprisingly dark and gritty, centering around fear, death and danger.

[proper review coming soon...]
  4. Mar 8, 2014
    This boring movie is filled with conflicting messages. The father tells the son to conquer his fear and not to be emotional, and yet we tend to have this father-and-son bond relationship. So ultimately, what are we rooting for? Are we supposed to care about their relationship if they're both unemotional? Goddamn, it's so badly-written.
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    The story is so goddamn thin you can sum it up in one sentence: Will & Jaden Smith crash on a planet, Jaden has to get to a beacon so they can get saved. That's it. Oh yeah, there is a very short intro to all this but it's incredibly superficial and trivial. Ok, so the film might not be as bad as they say, but this not how scifi is supposed to be. Today's movie technology alows directorsThe story is so goddamn thin you can sum it up in one sentence: Will & Jaden Smith crash on a planet, Jaden has to get to a beacon so they can get saved. That's it. Oh yeah, there is a very short intro to all this but it's incredibly superficial and trivial. Ok, so the film might not be as bad as they say, but this not how scifi is supposed to be. Today's movie technology alows directors to put anything on the screen they ever wanted and this is all they could come up with? These Hollywood folk are getting so lazy even the saturday night pop-corn munching audience is going to start noticing. In fact, they have noticed, coz nobody went out and saw it. And uh...M. Night Shyamalan, your jig's up. Start looking for another job. This was your last chance. Expand
  6. Jun 28, 2014
    What happened to M.Night after the The Village? The acting is bad and the plot is lacking potential. Infact Will Smith's facial expression was how I felt throughout this whole movie. I really hate to say this but Will Smith **** up this movie and the screenplay is terrible.
  7. Jun 21, 2013
    About as bad as Battlefield Earth. Regardless of whether you liked any of Shamylan's earlier movies, you will not like this one. It is somehow less entertaining and horrible than Last Airbender. I kid you not. If a serial killer busts down your doors and attmepts to tie you up and force you and your family to watch this movie while eating twinkies, scarf down those twinkies and then runAbout as bad as Battlefield Earth. Regardless of whether you liked any of Shamylan's earlier movies, you will not like this one. It is somehow less entertaining and horrible than Last Airbender. I kid you not. If a serial killer busts down your doors and attmepts to tie you up and force you and your family to watch this movie while eating twinkies, scarf down those twinkies and then run for the hills. If that is not possible, then end your life BY ANY MEANS, because that's how bad this movie is! Expand
  8. Jun 16, 2013
    Really good movie, a great mix of sci-fi and adventure. I like the relationship between Will Smith and Jaden Smith. I liked the story and the direct of Shyamalan, ok the movie have his fault, but is entertainment and works well for me.
  9. Jun 24, 2013
    What motivated me to write a review for this movie was reading someone else stating that it's a father and son love movie. "If you're a father you'll cry at the end of this movie." Well I am a father and just have to say that is completely false. First of all throughout the film it seems as though Will Smith's character really doesn't give a gosh darn hoot about his son's life. HeWhat motivated me to write a review for this movie was reading someone else stating that it's a father and son love movie. "If you're a father you'll cry at the end of this movie." Well I am a father and just have to say that is completely false. First of all throughout the film it seems as though Will Smith's character really doesn't give a gosh darn hoot about his son's life. He actually states in the film, "you go out there and don't die because I need to live through this. I don't really care what happens to you." Will Smith (who wrote this movie) wrote his part as someone who sits in a chair and looks high all the time. He was like, lets focus this movie on my son, I'll just chill here. Not to mention that the writing was just horrible anyways. Jaden's character has 1 face, crapping himself. As he runs. Falls asleep. Runs. Falls asleep. Runs. They tried to create some sort of emotional pull by him seeing his dead sister after making a raft and falling asleep on it. But it was too poorly done, when the creature was killing his sister I was honestly rooting for the creature. Because I was hoping something exciting would come of it. I don't want to write or think about this movie anymore than I have to and the reason I am giving it a 1/10 is because after the movie my friends and I were able to have a great time making fun of it. Awful, awful...thing...whatever this was. Expand
  10. Jul 24, 2013
    After Earth has few moments of fun, but in the end it was kind of boring with a pretty weak script. Jaden Smith does supply some interesting scenes with some of Earth's wildlife, but those scenes are few and far between. D+
  11. Nov 17, 2014
    After Earth looked half decent but it turned out to be a huge flop and a dull and lazy excuse for a Science Fiction adventure. An underused and uninterested Will Smith gives a half hearted and lazy performance and Jaden Smith simply cannot act and I struggle to take him seriously. It was a novelty to see Will & Jaden Smith together in 'The Pursuit of Happyness'. But seeing them togetherAfter Earth looked half decent but it turned out to be a huge flop and a dull and lazy excuse for a Science Fiction adventure. An underused and uninterested Will Smith gives a half hearted and lazy performance and Jaden Smith simply cannot act and I struggle to take him seriously. It was a novelty to see Will & Jaden Smith together in 'The Pursuit of Happyness'. But seeing them together again here feels like something of a money spinning gimmick. And you get the impression that Will Smith was just shoe horned in to gain the mass appeal that Jaden Smith couldn't achieve on his own. What confused me most about this film though was when I realised that it was both written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Love or hate his early films, his directing capabilities where always up for debate. But surely now he's lost all his credibility as a filmmaker. He just seems the oddest choice to make a film like this. And I use the term 'film' loosely as After Earth actually feels more like a video game of levels going from one set piece to the next. Collapse Expand
  12. Nov 22, 2013
    Im not understanding why people didnt like this one. Not only is it an action/sci-fi that is both entertaining and family friendly, but it teaches some very good lessons about fatherhood within military life. As someone who grew up in the military, maybe I was just more able to relate to these nuances than some, but I thought they did an excellent job of making us think about everythingIm not understanding why people didnt like this one. Not only is it an action/sci-fi that is both entertaining and family friendly, but it teaches some very good lessons about fatherhood within military life. As someone who grew up in the military, maybe I was just more able to relate to these nuances than some, but I thought they did an excellent job of making us think about everything from parenthood to the environment. While they dont hammer the environmental theme like you would expect, the truth is it paints a very realistic and dare I say probable future for earth if humanity doesn't get it together sooner.

I love will smith movies because be doesn't need to make excessive use of profanity and senseless violence to draw audiences. People can hate on his sons acting but the dude is a teenager. If you are comparing him to his father or other seasoned actors, you are an amateur film critic.
  13. Dec 13, 2014
    At huge expense, this film fails miserably. A promising father-son Smith duo. Amazing visuals. Appalling results. The film's lack of anything remotely interesting had me wincing in pain. I cannot even begin to imagine how Columbia Pictures feel. After Earth's threats are pathetic and the whole film's precinct even more so.
  14. Jun 24, 2013
    Average movie,Jaden's acting is average at best.Nice landscapes and effects that about all that's nice though.Not at all what i expected no wonder its been getting such foul reviews by people.
  15. Sep 25, 2013
    I am a big SciFi fan, yet something like that I never experienced. Was it the effects that ruined it, was it the lame story, the extra-lame acting of the second Smith in the movie, the directing of someone who got after Signs too much credit and couldn't deliver since (with the exception of the low budget Devil). I really cant say. Its just very disappointing and I wished I would not haveI am a big SciFi fan, yet something like that I never experienced. Was it the effects that ruined it, was it the lame story, the extra-lame acting of the second Smith in the movie, the directing of someone who got after Signs too much credit and couldn't deliver since (with the exception of the low budget Devil). I really cant say. Its just very disappointing and I wished I would not have seen it, not spend the time nor the money. But I wanted to know it for myself if the critics are right, since they are so many times wrong (in my opinion).

Well, they are right, and yet they even gave the movie way too much credit. Probably because of Will Smith.
  16. Jun 21, 2013
    It gets a 1 because Will Smith was in it. His son has very little talent and acts like he is afraid the entire time the movie is on. Kind of like a little girl. He needs to man up or get some acting lessons. The movie itself was not good by itself.
  17. Jun 22, 2013
    Overall in my opinion After Earth was a decent film, and would be great if you focus on Kitai's adventure to actually get the beacon. I feel as if they put too much focus on the dad's injured leg, I mean, WHO CARES? We see an action movie to see action, not Will Smith acting as if he's drunk. All my friends I saw the movie with say it was a good film, but it went a little too far with theOverall in my opinion After Earth was a decent film, and would be great if you focus on Kitai's adventure to actually get the beacon. I feel as if they put too much focus on the dad's injured leg, I mean, WHO CARES? We see an action movie to see action, not Will Smith acting as if he's drunk. All my friends I saw the movie with say it was a good film, but it went a little too far with the drama. Jayden was crying half of the time, and Will Smith was just acting as if his favorite show got canceled. You could easily swap, "I'm sorry, but I've lost contact with our son" to "This sucks, but Spongebob will not come on tonight." The effects were amazing and the suit I wish I had(I mean, who doesn't want a wingsuit for any time at all and the design was amazing), but the focus on survival and everything sucks. I mean, what is this MINECRAFT? And these people are humans, whats with the canisters of Oxygen-Stabilizing Banana liquid to going to do to help? Overall, the visuals were great, but the acting and dramatic scenes were poor and not needed. Expand
  18. Jun 25, 2013
    what really cheesed me off about this movie was the big bird. I liked some of the spaceship designs and felt the story of the encounter with aliens could have been more played out, probably make a good movie in itself. The main star was wasted, just wasted, if your going to see this movie for him then don't bother he may as well not be in it.
  19. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a good movie, excellent family movie. The theme takes a couple of roads. The theme of the fight for one-self, over coming the internal things that hold us back is universal. The theme of son longing for Father... wanting to live up to the realized lofty godhead figure of the Hero Father is also universal. Not feeling the negative reviews I have read thus far. Makes me feelThis is a good movie, excellent family movie. The theme takes a couple of roads. The theme of the fight for one-self, over coming the internal things that hold us back is universal. The theme of son longing for Father... wanting to live up to the realized lofty godhead figure of the Hero Father is also universal. Not feeling the negative reviews I have read thus far. Makes me feel something is afoot. The savior of humanity is a Black Man. The Hero of the film is a Black child/Man. Nah' mean. I don't remember seeing a film (sci-fi) where it is a serious film with African Men as the hero's who over come enemies both within and with-out. Great film see it for yourself, take your 7 and up kids with you. You and they will not be disappoinnted.. Expand
  20. Nov 24, 2013
    No suspense, forgettable action (at least the chase by the monkeys was funny), bad acting even from Will Smith (Jaden Smith frowns intensely to show he is afraid), a silly main idea (people do not choose their feelings from a menu), predictable ending (the kid suddenly transforms into a killing machine). There are very few visual effects and the science fiction elements are weak. TheNo suspense, forgettable action (at least the chase by the monkeys was funny), bad acting even from Will Smith (Jaden Smith frowns intensely to show he is afraid), a silly main idea (people do not choose their feelings from a menu), predictable ending (the kid suddenly transforms into a killing machine). There are very few visual effects and the science fiction elements are weak. The original main idea didn't include any aliens and it's evident: you could replace the monster with a grizzly bear, the spaceship with an airplane and the oxygen ratios with medicine and the plot would remain the same. Moreover the interior of the ship seems to be made of recyclable materials and after the crash there are long white things like toilet paper hanging from everywhere. Besides, why do humans in the future use blades instead of firearms? No wonder they get massacred by blind aliens!
    argonautis.eu
  21. Jul 23, 2013
    Sadly not very impressive. The main antagonist monsters were just not scary or creative or anything. The scenery in the beginning was futuristic but colorless and unimaginative. The main part of the movie took place in a extraterrestrial jungle where several dangers awaited the protagonist. However non of these was rememberable. I can't even recall all of these dangers. The whole thing wasSadly not very impressive. The main antagonist monsters were just not scary or creative or anything. The scenery in the beginning was futuristic but colorless and unimaginative. The main part of the movie took place in a extraterrestrial jungle where several dangers awaited the protagonist. However non of these was rememberable. I can't even recall all of these dangers. The whole thing was just missing some polish. The world didn't seem any intriguing or special. It was all so... plain. Expand
  22. Oct 10, 2013
    It was a big disappointment. Here has been impressive at times but most of the CGI is very weakly, there is nothing simple story twists and turns, and sometimes can even be flattened. Will Smith's worst movie theater I think.
  23. Aug 29, 2013
    One thing I don't understand about critics is how they don't criticize anything at all. One thing I also don't understand about critics is how they always dislike movies, I think it's becoming more obvious that critics don't like action movies, so why even watch the movies? To act tough and use a thesaurus?

This movie was great, although the acting by Jaden Smith was a little bit rusty, I don't expect anything better considering this is Jaden Smith's first high-budget movie. Either way, the movie was great. I rate movies by the amount of chills I get, and although this movie's chill-o-meter was in no way on par with Star War's chill-o-meter. I give this movie a 6 out of 10.

Chills: 1
  24. Sep 18, 2013
    Will Smith, After Earth “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” Now that is just a awesome qoute! gets me amped. Dont get why this movie scored so low, I enjoyed every minute of it... check it out!
  25. Sep 21, 2013
    I don't understand why so many people are hating on this film, and why it is getting such a poor rating. It's nothing special, sure, but it's not bad. I see people complaining about Jaden's acting, but I thought it was fine (it wasn't outstanding, and there is room for improvement, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he's just a kid, give him a break), and so was Will's.I don't understand why so many people are hating on this film, and why it is getting such a poor rating. It's nothing special, sure, but it's not bad. I see people complaining about Jaden's acting, but I thought it was fine (it wasn't outstanding, and there is room for improvement, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he's just a kid, give him a break), and so was Will's. The effects were nice (I won't go into details, as that would cause spoilers, but there is one scene in particular that is pretty awesome), and I liked the story. The one thing I have to complain about is that it would have been a much better and cooler movie if there was a more varied and larger number of obstacles and challenges for Kitai to overcome. For example he could have come across a whole lot more of various types of creatures. There was even one scene where I feel they completely left out a good potential confrontation. But oh well. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, and I'm sure there are many others like me who will as well. Expand
  26. Dec 2, 2013
    This is terrible movie making at its finest. Confusing introduction, lack of character development and an incredibly bland storyline. They have the insane technology of colour-changing suits when danger is real around them... you'd think with such advanced technology, they would have at least a GPS system on them rather than having Kitai go on an unnecessary journey through theThis is terrible movie making at its finest. Confusing introduction, lack of character development and an incredibly bland storyline. They have the insane technology of colour-changing suits when danger is real around them... you'd think with such advanced technology, they would have at least a GPS system on them rather than having Kitai go on an unnecessary journey through the surprisingly bright wilderness. Just because humans are out of Earth's equation, does not mean animals and plants would just flourish like that especially since they implied humans literally up" the planet. The concept was unique... but like most cases, it was poorly executed. Expand
  27. Feb 1, 2014
    Let's see. So the message is no there's no such thing as fear. Ok. think will take a dive in this tank of box jellyfish. Hey, that is an enlightening message since it means no more watching this crap...
  28. Feb 2, 2014
    t has more flaws (uninteresting characters, slow pacing, small storyline, predictability) than strengths but After Earth is focused on its plot and offers enough visual thrills to qualify as a good movie.
  29. Jun 3, 2014
    After Earth was expected to be bad by me because of M. Night Shamylan's directing ability. The Sixth Sense was great, Unbreakable was really good, Signs was good, The Village was OK, the Happening was terrible, and this movie is even worse. They took Will Smith and **** on his acting abilities. He was downright awful and he was a huge miscast.
  30. Jan 31, 2014
    Really good film. It has elements to it that actually made me talk to the screen, I love this film. A few parts of the film make me think its a bit far fetched but apart from that I love it!
  31. Feb 1, 2014
    I liked it,great efforts of all sides great visual effects and the Smiths were very good...i felt that the fatherhood was present between Will Smith and Jaden Smith...i say it is a good movie to watch.
  32. Jan 30, 2014
    I watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use moreI watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use more detail but I've seen a lot worse movies than this. I recommend, this movie to anyone interested in a good movie. Expand
  33. Feb 17, 2014
    I watched 15 minutes of this, which was all I could stand. Nepotism has already been mentioned in these reviews and I can only agree. The lack of emotion from Will and Jaden was difficult to watch. Perhaps Jaden has a future as an actor but he needs to attend a decent acting school. At the time this movie was made his acting skill was dreadful and it exposed his lack of talent. It takesI watched 15 minutes of this, which was all I could stand. Nepotism has already been mentioned in these reviews and I can only agree. The lack of emotion from Will and Jaden was difficult to watch. Perhaps Jaden has a future as an actor but he needs to attend a decent acting school. At the time this movie was made his acting skill was dreadful and it exposed his lack of talent. It takes more than an attractive face to be a successful actor.

I think his Dad is blinded by the deep affection he has for both his children.
  34. Feb 24, 2014
    I must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his partI must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his part well, he is suppose to be emotionless. You have to try to put yourself in the future folks, and understand what is going on. You have to pay attention to a sci-fi. They say the story is thin. Does every movie have to have a story that is all over the place. This is a survival, adventure sci-fi. rate it as such, and do not review it if you do not like those types of movies. Stick to your dramas and don't rate this as one. Good job, need more movies with visions of the future. Expand
  35. Mar 26, 2014
    Smith wanted everyone to know that he basically directed this and Shyamalan was more or less the cameraman - I bet he wished he could take that back...
  36. Apr 11, 2014
    Although this is a very (unintentionally) funny movie, I decided I wouldn't rate it a 8/8 since I feel like Metacritic is a bit more serious than IMDB when it comes it movies. Anyway After Earth is a movie filled with plot-holes, horrible acting, technical errors, awkward accents, and Moby Dick. Moby Dick....... Why is Moby Dick even a thing in this movie? I'm sure it COULD HAVE been aAlthough this is a very (unintentionally) funny movie, I decided I wouldn't rate it a 8/8 since I feel like Metacritic is a bit more serious than IMDB when it comes it movies. Anyway After Earth is a movie filled with plot-holes, horrible acting, technical errors, awkward accents, and Moby Dick. Moby Dick....... Why is Moby Dick even a thing in this movie? I'm sure it COULD HAVE been a subtle reminder of Jaden and Will's family but good lord M. Night you didn't have to shove in our faces as much as you did. Anyway the accents are funny, the acting is goofy, the technical errors are noticable, and Moby Dick is completely unnecessary. Expand
  37. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was sort of slow paced and boring, it lacked interesting action, and had some bad acting. It was an O.K. movie it had some action and an O.K. storyline. But what do you expect, any movie by
    M. Night Shyamalan will probably be pretty bad or dumb.
  38. Nov 10, 2014
    It has more flaws (uninteresting characters, slow pacing, small storyline, predictability) than strengths but After Earth is focused on its plot and offers enough visual thrills to qualify as a passable movie.
  39. Oct 12, 2014
    Neither despite being minimally entertaining, this movie have the worst performances of all the career of Will and Jaden Smith, very poor visuals and poorly developed script in which some ideas are contradictory. (46 - 100)
  40. Nov 13, 2014
    "After Earth" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Good: The premise is a good one. This could have been a pretty good film based on the idea. The Bad: Not quite as horrible as people claimed, but still pretty damn bad. Super slow and not overly interesting, you find yourself wanting it to hurry up and end. The creatures that populate the film look like cartoons that were rejected
    "After Earth" 10 Scale Rating: 3.0 (Awful) ...

The Bad: Not quite as horrible as people claimed, but still pretty damn bad. Super slow and not overly interesting, you find yourself wanting it to hurry up and end. The creatures that populate the film look like cartoons that were rejected from the latest Ice Age film. Worst of all, the acting was horrid, especially Jaden Smith. It is clear to me that the kid simply can't carry a film on his own and lacks his father's charisma and skill.
  41. Dec 15, 2014
    I don't understand why this movie has an average score of 4.2 out of 10. This movie deserves much less for its laughable acting, absurd plot, nonexistant effort, and terrible pacing. The only good part of this movie was the CG effects and even those were average. After Earth gets a 1/10 (Abysmal).
  42. Dec 22, 2014
    After Earth is by far not as bad as You think.It Has potential to be a good movie with an interesting premise but the execution made the movie bad and the acting is just so bad and plain boring despite it's well I said it again interesting premise.
  43. Mar 3, 2015
    though not as meaningful as oblivion I have to say that the beauty of this film has me wanting to watching at least once more.....unfortunately it seems to be a lot of nature shots.....
  44. Mar 18, 2015
    This movie might have like 2 good moments but ended up with nothing but a complete bore. The script was bland with dialogue that makes your ears bleed. This film was slow, like the sixth sense. But in the sixth sense is interesting and intriguing. This was slow and boring. I will not blame this on Jaden or Will Smith. It was Shyamalan's awful directing that was putting me to sleep thisThis movie might have like 2 good moments but ended up with nothing but a complete bore. The script was bland with dialogue that makes your ears bleed. This film was slow, like the sixth sense. But in the sixth sense is interesting and intriguing. This was slow and boring. I will not blame this on Jaden or Will Smith. It was Shyamalan's awful directing that was putting me to sleep this movie. I don't know how Shyamalan fails movies this badly with great actors. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.