4.0

1. Jul 17, 2013
    Based on a weekly turnover, in China it is pretty frustrating to find an ideal film to watch in cinema to meet everyone’s taste, this week, the best offer (for me) is AFTER EARTH, a North American flop stars Smith Family, directed by the ever-downgrading wunderkind Mr. Shyamalan (this time descends to the hack hired by Will Smith personally). With zero expectation, the film is a slimBased on a weekly turnover, in China it is pretty frustrating to find an ideal film to watch in cinema to meet everyone’s taste, this week, the best offer (for me) is AFTER EARTH, a North American flop stars Smith Family, directed by the ever-downgrading wunderkind Mr. Shyamalan (this time descends to the hack hired by Will Smith personally). With zero expectation, the film is a slim action adventure exploits Will Smith’s star power to bolster his son Jaden Smith, but the paper-thin script and a sub-par visual SFX bewilders its viewers where its reported budget goes ($130,000,000)?, call me a sceptic, is the whole hubbub an internal money-laundry chicanery?

A pseudo-epic start briefly justifies why mankind abandons the earth, and relocates at a new planet with the new arch enemy, a fear-sensing brute. After a reckless asteroids attack, an aircraft crash-lands on earth and miraculously all the crew are dead except for Jaden and Will, the latter is the commander of the team and is injured and immobilized by broken legs for rest of the film, up till then, the film plunges into a young boy’s journey of seeking courage by facing a menagerie of mutant wild animals on his quest to track down a beacon apparatus which he could use to call for the rescue team, and now is in the rear part of the craft and lies amid the formidable wilderness, it is also a boy’s rite-of-passage to overcome a past trauma and save himself and his father, who treats him with military disciplines, but a role-model for the whole race because of his “ghosting” skill, which is facilely interpreted as a fearless warrior who is able to be invisible to the brutes, everything is well-foreseen by viewers’s imagination and the film fails to ignite audiences’ passion at all.

A glum Jaden Smith and ultra-wooden Will Smith can barely hold together the film (one wonders what has happened to the pair in THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS 2006, 7/10), already it is character-scarce, Sophie Okonedo is shamefully underused in the Will Smith’s Wife Club, and a dazzling Zoe Kravitz glints only in flashbacks and illusory parts, then all the CGI creatures take the stage by turns, and the final showdown turns out to be a major letdown, again I am very curious about how they spent the gargantuan budget? It looks too cheap compared with other summer tentpoles.

It is inevitable a stain in Mr. Smith’s filmography, the mass is repellent and jealous of nepotism especially when he or she is a superstar, the Smith family may be too keen in showcasing their ambition to establish their dynasty in Hollywood showbiz, this setback should alert them, the market is not ready yet for a blatant mega-family contrivance. Anyhow, what’s more disheartening for me is the career orbit of M. Shyamalan, to witness the fall of a young talent is never easy, although we could assume one must reach rock-bottom to bounce back, in that case, I do hope AFTER EARTH is his fortunate nadir.
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    While well made, this film fails on nearly every other level. The plot and story drudges at such a slow pace that I almost fell asleep watching it. Sure the visuals are nice, but what does that matter when the acting and story are terrible? Somehow Night was able to suck the life out of one of the most interesting character duos in The Pursuit of Happyness. It eventually reaches a level ofWhile well made, this film fails on nearly every other level. The plot and story drudges at such a slow pace that I almost fell asleep watching it. Sure the visuals are nice, but what does that matter when the acting and story are terrible? Somehow Night was able to suck the life out of one of the most interesting character duos in The Pursuit of Happyness. It eventually reaches a level of mediocrity that barely satisfies someone looking to watch a cheap hollywood sci-fi film. Expand
  3. Jul 15, 2013
    Poorly executed lack of character, way to short they could have done much better with an extra of 20 minutes visually good and the Smiths family fit in nicely
  4. LTR
    Oct 12, 2013
    This is an okay movie.The father-son duo isn't as good as everyone thought.The world is pretty cool,some of the scenes were random and the end was pretty fast.
  5. Nov 19, 2013
    Was expecting this film to be total crap, wasn't half as bad as I expected! Decent storyline etc. but some of the acting seemed pretty bland. Not great but surprisingly entertaining and watchable
  6. Nov 18, 2013
    I was expecting this to be a complete failure. I didn't go see it at the theater because the previews just did absolutely nothing for me. Well after watching the movie I have to say I'm actually pleased. I rather enjoyed the movie even if so many of the graphics looked utterly fake.
  7. Jun 16, 2013
    A very straightforward movie but i enjoyed it much compared to oblivion.

The way it was phrased by Will Smith, "Everything has evolved to kill human", i was hoping for more in the way of obstacles.

Definitely a rise for M Night from his previous movie.
  8. Jun 4, 2013
    "Aside from the films tacky ending, After Earth is not going to wow you with its visuals or make your jaw-drop, but if you can get past some of the performances you may enjoy this sci-fi adventure, this is M. Night's first good movie in about a decade." C
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    I liked it, maybe when I saw it my suspension of disbelief was at a high point, so I ignored all the things that made this movie terrible for everyone else, I don't know, but I was entertained.
  10. Jun 6, 2013
    SOME CRITICS REVIEWS ARE BS. It's a solid 6/10 movie, it delivers when it supposed to immersive survival action, nice visuals, original and interesting setting! It has problems, but overall it a alright average action!
  11. May 31, 2013
    I actually enjoyed this! I think it is about time that M.Night leaves "the twist" to Chuck Berry Story was okay, chemistry between Will Smith and his son is obviously there... I quite enjoyed it!
  12. Jun 5, 2013
    I enjoyed the movie while I was watching it as long as I didn't think too much. There were some holes in the storytelling. Nothing great, but entertaining. I thought the CGI was fantastic. I thought the story was a good premise. Jaden Smith is not a good enough actor to carry the movie, which is required of him. I would recommend that whoever is thinking of seeing it wait until itI enjoyed the movie while I was watching it as long as I didn't think too much. There were some holes in the storytelling. Nothing great, but entertaining. I thought the CGI was fantastic. I thought the story was a good premise. Jaden Smith is not a good enough actor to carry the movie, which is required of him. I would recommend that whoever is thinking of seeing it wait until it comes out on DVD. I'm disappointed by Shyamalan. I liked "Sixth Sense" and loved "Signs", and I even really liked "The Last Airbender." But he's fallen pretty far. Unfortunate. Expand
  13. Jun 3, 2013
    While far from the best that Will and Jaden have done, After Earth executes an adventure with relative ease, providing uplifting morals and intense action. However, After Earth may be the shortest 1 hr and 40 minutes I have ever spent in a movie theater. Very thinly plotted and doesn't embrace the world in a believable way.
  14. Jun 10, 2013
    I think M. Night gets unfairly abused by critics many times, but this was not one of them. While the movie's themes are very good, the film is questionable at best. The heart of the film is a father's love for his son made manifest by forcing the son to become his own man not by coddling or insisting on an identical path, but literally kicking him out of the nest (ship) to find his ownI think M. Night gets unfairly abused by critics many times, but this was not one of them. While the movie's themes are very good, the film is questionable at best. The heart of the film is a father's love for his son made manifest by forcing the son to become his own man not by coddling or insisting on an identical path, but literally kicking him out of the nest (ship) to find his own way with just enough aid not to get killed. I don't think this is a very common parenting style these days, but I respect the Fresh Prince for taking it to screen.

However, this movie was not the best vehicle for it. The science is bad enough to kill suspension of disbelief and the set pieces are just this side of 1960's French Sci-Fi (i.e. weird, incongruous with the implied technology, and already dated). The most glaring bit of weirdness is the idea that an old-growth forest can be flash-frozen every few hours without permanent cellular damage...it doesn't make a lot of sense, and neither does a lot of the "science" elements in this film (like turbulence in space).

Perhaps a present-time marooning would be a better vehicle? Or a slightly-improved attention to details which Sci-Fi fans normally obsess over? Or...and I am going out on a limb here...maybe a different planet? The fact that it is earth does nothing for the movie.

In summary not a good movie. As always, M. Night does a good job filming and pacing, but there are just too many other mistakes to overlook.
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    I tried writing a review this past Friday, but for some reason, it wouldn't submit. So i'm gonna try again and hopefully this time it'll submit. Anyway, long story short this movie was boring. I;m not one of those people who thought this movie was completely terrible, but was very uninteresting and unsatisfying. All the movie is is Will Smith and his son exploring the "new world". ActuallyI tried writing a review this past Friday, but for some reason, it wouldn't submit. So i'm gonna try again and hopefully this time it'll submit. Anyway, long story short this movie was boring. I;m not one of those people who thought this movie was completely terrible, but was very uninteresting and unsatisfying. All the movie is is Will Smith and his son exploring the "new world". Actually I take that back, it's Will Smith's son who explores this new world. This concept was just completely boring. Aside from the decent visuals, the story just goes nowhere. Some parts I could handle, others I just simply couldn't. After "The Last Airbender", I figured he'd learn from his mistakes. I guess not. He needs to go back to making great movies like his old ones such as "The Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable", and "Signs". But for now I guess we're stuck with this. Sadly I still have a little bit of hope for M. Night Shyamalan. I hope he learns from his mistakes in his next movie. If not, I'm done with him. Overall, just go watch "Now You See Me" this week. Expand
  16. Aug 24, 2014
    A mediocre sci-fi movie with all the necessary elements for an entertaining time, but often predictable and not quite managing to amaze or dazzle.

Also, there was a lot of gore in this movie, considering the low rating. Just because the body parts are from animals, and the violence is "fantasy" violence in most cases (the human bodies not being overly mangled), this was definitely touching the upper limit of the PG-13, in my opinion. Not that it matters to an older viewer, but the themes in the movie were surprisingly dark and gritty, centering around fear, death and danger.

[proper review coming soon...]
  17. Sep 24, 2013
    The story is so goddamn thin you can sum it up in one sentence: Will & Jaden Smith crash on a planet, Jaden has to get to a beacon so they can get saved. That's it. Oh yeah, there is a very short intro to all this but it's incredibly superficial and trivial. Ok, so the film might not be as bad as they say, but this not how scifi is supposed to be. Today's movie technology alows directorsThe story is so goddamn thin you can sum it up in one sentence: Will & Jaden Smith crash on a planet, Jaden has to get to a beacon so they can get saved. That's it. Oh yeah, there is a very short intro to all this but it's incredibly superficial and trivial. Ok, so the film might not be as bad as they say, but this not how scifi is supposed to be. Today's movie technology alows directors to put anything on the screen they ever wanted and this is all they could come up with? These Hollywood folk are getting so lazy even the saturday night pop-corn munching audience is going to start noticing. In fact, they have noticed, coz nobody went out and saw it. And uh...M. Night Shyamalan, your jig's up. Start looking for another job. This was your last chance. Expand
  18. Jul 24, 2013
    After Earth has few moments of fun, but in the end it was kind of boring with a pretty weak script. Jaden Smith does supply some interesting scenes with some of Earth's wildlife, but those scenes are few and far between. D+
  19. Jun 24, 2013
    Average movie,Jaden's acting is average at best.Nice landscapes and effects that about all that's nice though.Not at all what i expected no wonder its been getting such foul reviews by people.
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    I am a big SciFi fan, yet something like that I never experienced. Was it the effects that ruined it, was it the lame story, the extra-lame acting of the second Smith in the movie, the directing of someone who got after Signs too much credit and couldn't deliver since (with the exception of the low budget Devil). I really cant say. Its just very disappointing and I wished I would not haveI am a big SciFi fan, yet something like that I never experienced. Was it the effects that ruined it, was it the lame story, the extra-lame acting of the second Smith in the movie, the directing of someone who got after Signs too much credit and couldn't deliver since (with the exception of the low budget Devil). I really cant say. Its just very disappointing and I wished I would not have seen it, not spend the time nor the money. But I wanted to know it for myself if the critics are right, since they are so many times wrong (in my opinion).

Well, they are right, and yet they even gave the movie way too much credit. Probably because of Will Smith.
  21. Jun 22, 2013
    Overall in my opinion After Earth was a decent film, and would be great if you focus on Kitai's adventure to actually get the beacon. I feel as if they put too much focus on the dad's injured leg, I mean, WHO CARES? We see an action movie to see action, not Will Smith acting as if he's drunk. All my friends I saw the movie with say it was a good film, but it went a little too far with theOverall in my opinion After Earth was a decent film, and would be great if you focus on Kitai's adventure to actually get the beacon. I feel as if they put too much focus on the dad's injured leg, I mean, WHO CARES? We see an action movie to see action, not Will Smith acting as if he's drunk. All my friends I saw the movie with say it was a good film, but it went a little too far with the drama. Jayden was crying half of the time, and Will Smith was just acting as if his favorite show got canceled. You could easily swap, "I'm sorry, but I've lost contact with our son" to "This sucks, but Spongebob will not come on tonight." The effects were amazing and the suit I wish I had(I mean, who doesn't want a wingsuit for any time at all and the design was amazing), but the focus on survival and everything sucks. I mean, what is this MINECRAFT? And these people are humans, whats with the canisters of Oxygen-Stabilizing Banana liquid to going to do to help? Overall, the visuals were great, but the acting and dramatic scenes were poor and not needed. Expand
  22. Jun 25, 2013
    what really cheesed me off about this movie was the big bird. I liked some of the spaceship designs and felt the story of the encounter with aliens could have been more played out, probably make a good movie in itself. The main star was wasted, just wasted, if your going to see this movie for him then don't bother he may as well not be in it.
  23. Jul 23, 2013
    Sadly not very impressive. The main antagonist monsters were just not scary or creative or anything. The scenery in the beginning was futuristic but colorless and unimaginative. The main part of the movie took place in a extraterrestrial jungle where several dangers awaited the protagonist. However non of these was rememberable. I can't even recall all of these dangers. The whole thing wasSadly not very impressive. The main antagonist monsters were just not scary or creative or anything. The scenery in the beginning was futuristic but colorless and unimaginative. The main part of the movie took place in a extraterrestrial jungle where several dangers awaited the protagonist. However non of these was rememberable. I can't even recall all of these dangers. The whole thing was just missing some polish. The world didn't seem any intriguing or special. It was all so... plain. Expand
  24. Oct 10, 2013
    It was a big disappointment. Here has been impressive at times but most of the CGI is very weakly, there is nothing simple story twists and turns, and sometimes can even be flattened. Will Smith's worst movie theater I think.
  25. Aug 29, 2013
    One thing I don't understand about critics is how they don't criticize anything at all. One thing I also don't understand about critics is how they always dislike movies, I think it's becoming more obvious that critics don't like action movies, so why even watch the movies? To act tough and use a thesaurus?

This movie was great, although the acting by Jaden Smith was a little bit rusty, I don't expect anything better considering this is Jaden Smith's first high-budget movie. Either way, the movie was great. I rate movies by the amount of chills I get, and although this movie's chill-o-meter was in no way on par with Star War's chill-o-meter. I give this movie a 6 out of 10.

Chills: 1
  26. Sep 21, 2013
    I don't understand why so many people are hating on this film, and why it is getting such a poor rating. It's nothing special, sure, but it's not bad. I see people complaining about Jaden's acting, but I thought it was fine (it wasn't outstanding, and there is room for improvement, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he's just a kid, give him a break), and so was Will's.I don't understand why so many people are hating on this film, and why it is getting such a poor rating. It's nothing special, sure, but it's not bad. I see people complaining about Jaden's acting, but I thought it was fine (it wasn't outstanding, and there is room for improvement, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he's just a kid, give him a break), and so was Will's. The effects were nice (I won't go into details, as that would cause spoilers, but there is one scene in particular that is pretty awesome), and I liked the story. The one thing I have to complain about is that it would have been a much better and cooler movie if there was a more varied and larger number of obstacles and challenges for Kitai to overcome. For example he could have come across a whole lot more of various types of creatures. There was even one scene where I feel they completely left out a good potential confrontation. But oh well. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, and I'm sure there are many others like me who will as well. Expand
  27. Feb 2, 2014
    t has more flaws (uninteresting characters, slow pacing, small storyline, predictability) than strengths but After Earth is focused on its plot and offers enough visual thrills to qualify as a good movie.
  28. Nov 10, 2014
    It has more flaws (uninteresting characters, slow pacing, small storyline, predictability) than strengths but After Earth is focused on its plot and offers enough visual thrills to qualify as a passable movie.
  29. Oct 12, 2014
    Neither despite being minimally entertaining, this movie have the worst performances of all the career of Will and Jaden Smith, very poor visuals and poorly developed script in which some ideas are contradictory. (46 - 100)
  30. Dec 22, 2014
    After Earth is by far not as bad as You think.It Has potential to be a good movie with an interesting premise but the execution made the movie bad and the acting is just so bad and plain boring despite it's well I said it again interesting premise.
  31. Mar 3, 2015
    though not as meaningful as oblivion I have to say that the beauty of this film has me wanting to watching at least once more.....unfortunately it seems to be a lot of nature shots.....
  32. Jun 10, 2015
    and the award for the #1 failed directorial comeback can easily go to M Night Shyamalan for what could have been a great movie unfortunately the script was too ridiculous I think who ever wrote it was too lazy to even go through a science gazette, and also Jaden Smith was way too annoying and off key especially his on and off then on again outbursts throughout the movie and probably Willand the award for the #1 failed directorial comeback can easily go to M Night Shyamalan for what could have been a great movie unfortunately the script was too ridiculous I think who ever wrote it was too lazy to even go through a science gazette, and also Jaden Smith was way too annoying and off key especially his on and off then on again outbursts throughout the movie and probably Will Smith's worst performance like he gave 0% acting to lift the spirits, just sit around and give advice in a boring tone, even though I understand he portrays an emotional character, maybe the character I am legend or The pursuit of Happiness could have made this a little greater.

compare this to Dumb and Dumberer

well now Shyamalan's career has completed into becoming a total twist itself!!

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.