4.0

1. Oct 19, 2013
    Finally an M. Night Shyamalan movie that doesn't suck, but then again the story was evidently written by Will Smith. While this film was far from perfect, After Earth does have a lot of good things going for it. First of all, and most obvious, is the cinematography and the special effects. This movie looks beautiful and Shyamalan does a masterful job of creating a really specialFinally an M. Night Shyamalan movie that doesn't suck, but then again the story was evidently written by Will Smith. While this film was far from perfect, After Earth does have a lot of good things going for it. First of all, and most obvious, is the cinematography and the special effects. This movie looks beautiful and Shyamalan does a masterful job of creating a really special environment and the re-imagining of Earth was pretty interesting. The acting of Jaden Smith and Will Smith was also really good. All of the characters spoke with an interesting accent for the film and, while it was strange at first, it gave the setting more of an authentic vibe. Speaking of the setting, that's one of the only real weak points, in my opinion. I really wish they would've developed the setting more. All we're told is that the Earth suffered some cataclysmic event that forced humanity to evacuate and settle elsewhere. We're also told that aliens attacked our new settlement with some strange creature called the Ursa. This is all essentially skimmed over and it leaves a certain emptiness to what seems to be an interesting story. Maybe they're leaving it open for a prequel, I don't know, but it should've been covered more and it kind of feels a bit lazy. I honestly don't understand the harsh criticism of this film, nonetheless, I enjoyed it. There were some elements of the plot and setting that forced you to suspend reasoning a bit too much but it was entertaining and interesting and even wise in certain areas. Expand
  2. Oct 13, 2013
    I'll keep it short, I almost missed a good movie because of poor reviews, but after watching this movie I was satisfied and felt moved enough to come and write a review to counter the critics. Don't miss this movie because of negative critics, there is a lot of classic and worthwhile films that got poor reviews at the time of release, but are now considered to be cult classics.
    Bottom
    Bottom line: entertaining fable, with a emotional moral to the story worth watching.
  3. Sep 18, 2013
    Hi there,

Rating this movie a 10 to try and balance the negative reviews here. Just watched it and I find it very entertaining. Before watching it I saw reviews on IMDB saying the acting was off and Jaden doesn't have a talented bone in his body. I find this to be complete nonsense. The acting was good. And there are some very emotional parts in the movie that I found touching.
    Hi there,

Rating this movie a 10 to try and balance the negative reviews here.

Very good performance and very good movie.
    If you came here for a review you should definitely watch it for yourself.
  4. Oct 20, 2013
    I like when sci-fi movies transport me in a credible future and this one did it. I don't get why peoples are so negative. For me it's 10 times better than the last "sanitized style" Star Trek where everything is polished and shiny. This one is more "raw" and credible even if there is "creatures". The kid acted nicely and Will too. For those who complain that he was "empty", it was hisI like when sci-fi movies transport me in a credible future and this one did it. I don't get why peoples are so negative. For me it's 10 times better than the last "sanitized style" Star Trek where everything is polished and shiny. This one is more "raw" and credible even if there is "creatures". The kid acted nicely and Will too. For those who complain that he was "empty", it was his character so he did a good job. Great movie. Expand
  5. Sep 24, 2013
    If theres one thing I learned from my father is: if the critics hated it, watch it! You're probably gonna live it! And guess what? I really liked this movie. It presented nice futuristics possibilities, and a good father son story. The philosophy of the movie is also very good. I couldnt understand why critics hated it so much, but anyway, what do critics know? The movie was a very goodIf theres one thing I learned from my father is: if the critics hated it, watch it! You're probably gonna live it! And guess what? I really liked this movie. It presented nice futuristics possibilities, and a good father son story. The philosophy of the movie is also very good. I couldnt understand why critics hated it so much, but anyway, what do critics know? The movie was a very good piece of work. Nice jobs guys! Expand
  6. Oct 10, 2013
    I read the horrible reviews, saw it was a big "NO", but still enjoyed it! Yes, the acting is kinda cheesy (okay, really cheesy in parts), Will Smith and Son's weird 'accents' are off-putting (just speak normally, for Pete's sake!) but I liked the story and efforts to put sci-fi type detail in it, instead of taking the easy route. The bird part was unexpectedly sad (get your kleenex) butI read the horrible reviews, saw it was a big "NO", but still enjoyed it! Yes, the acting is kinda cheesy (okay, really cheesy in parts), Will Smith and Son's weird 'accents' are off-putting (just speak normally, for Pete's sake!) but I liked the story and efforts to put sci-fi type detail in it, instead of taking the easy route. The bird part was unexpectedly sad (get your kleenex) but try it, you might like it! I think reviewers were reacting more to the fact that Will Smith wrote, starred in and co-directed it, which tends to turn people off because it is so obviously self-indulgent, but if you ignore that, it's not a bad movie! P.S. I consider myself a fairly harsh sci-fi movie critic, e.g., didn't think 'Gravity' was "all that and a bag of chips" other than the visual effects (which were stunning). Expand
  7. Jun 9, 2013
    Once again I find my opinions are at odds with those of the world's most acclaimed movie critics. Perhaps young Smith couldn't carry this entire movie but that is far from the point.

This is a unique and refreshing take on the bond between father and son. The plot is simple and the movie concludes in a somewhat predictable ending but the journey there is the real difference in After Earth. Those expecting a Sixth Sense esq twist look away. This really is a feel good movie with interesting ideas, great visuals and a huge focus on the strengths and weaknesses of a boy trying to live up to his fathers expectations.

Excellent acting by Will Smith and a memorable performance by Jaden, on the start of what will certainly be a successful career. Those expecting to see a 15 year old able to replace his father should modify their expectations to reality. No Jaden isn't Will but he his a talented young actor with plenty of promise able to deliver in a big role.
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    I wonder why this movie was so unfavourably viewed. So what if Will Smith is trying to promote his son? What does that have to do with how good the movie is? Seriously, people! My full review is here: http://bit.ly/128SBeU
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    I have not seen this movie, but I intend to. I had to write a review of the user reviews because there seems to be a common statement that says because M.Night directed this movie it is bad. I need more than that, what about the plot and acting is so bad, what parts of the direction were so bad, why is this a bad movie other than a name attached to it? I will give it a 7 for now to offI have not seen this movie, but I intend to. I had to write a review of the user reviews because there seems to be a common statement that says because M.Night directed this movie it is bad. I need more than that, what about the plot and acting is so bad, what parts of the direction were so bad, why is this a bad movie other than a name attached to it? I will give it a 7 for now to off set the unintelligent reviews here.

@dilushaofmc- You mention nothing as to what it is that is wrong with this movie and just rant about the director, grade=0

@oliver1h- Your comment if rife with grammatical errors yet you seem to have a superiority complex, I like how you wrote "it is dump" (I think you meant dumb), "set agains" I think you meant against), also the movie was shot on location and was not completely green screen, grade=0

@oliver1h-Your comment as well has grammatical errors. Also, M. Night did not write nor produce this movie, he simply directed it. Which you give him credit for doing a good job of, yet you can't lay the supposed poor script at his feet, grade=0
  10. Jun 7, 2013
    Like many, I expected this movie to be mediocre at best. However, in my opinion, this film was better than expected for sure. Apart from the cliches and the slightly kid's moments (even though this movie is mostly meant for father and son in the first place), it contained the right amount of action and adventure. The moderate scares made me flinch for half a second, but they were partiallyLike many, I expected this movie to be mediocre at best. However, in my opinion, this film was better than expected for sure. Apart from the cliches and the slightly kid's moments (even though this movie is mostly meant for father and son in the first place), it contained the right amount of action and adventure. The moderate scares made me flinch for half a second, but they were partially necessary for the events and not a bad thing to have for sure. Overall, I believe that this movie is underrated a bit, even though I can tell where the unfavorable ratings are based off of. Expand
  11. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the better sci-fi movies I've watched in a long time. I loved watching it and was constantly wondering what was around the next corner. It kept me on the edge of my seat. It's also really cool to watch both Jaden and Will smith together in the movie. They work well with each other. I really enjoyed this film, but there are some issues throughout. Acting is kind of awkward at timesOne of the better sci-fi movies I've watched in a long time. I loved watching it and was constantly wondering what was around the next corner. It kept me on the edge of my seat. It's also really cool to watch both Jaden and Will smith together in the movie. They work well with each other. I really enjoyed this film, but there are some issues throughout. Acting is kind of awkward at times by all of the cast. Whether it is the weird accents or the overly-serious Will Smith, something is a little off in the acting department, but overall they still do a good job. There are also some duds in the dialog. A section where Will Smith describes to his son when he lost the ability to afraid ends up being overly cheesy thanks to some goofy lines. These flaws do hurt the film, but only a little. All of the issues end up fading away when faced with the more emotional or intense moments. All I have left to say is that I highly enjoyed this movie and recommend it. It's a movie that manages to overcome its flaws and create an experience unlike any science fiction movie I've seen before. Expand
  12. Jun 19, 2013
    My brother tells me that he actually liked After Earth. So reluctantly, I sat down and watched it. After seeing the movie here is my opinion. The critics are either wrong or they have an agenda. After Earth is a good movie. The performances by both Will and Jaden Smith are great. The movie has a strong and positive theme. The story flows from beginning to end, and I felt connected toMy brother tells me that he actually liked After Earth. So reluctantly, I sat down and watched it. After seeing the movie here is my opinion. The critics are either wrong or they have an agenda. After Earth is a good movie. The performances by both Will and Jaden Smith are great. The movie has a strong and positive theme. The story flows from beginning to end, and I felt connected to the characters and their struggle throughout the film.

After Earth is the classic tale of the young warrior’s journey, both physically and spiritually. It has a very African feel to it, from the set designs, to their strange accents, to their names, to the creatures that young Kitai faces. Unlike much of the pointless trash that comes out of Hollywood these days, After Earth is a morality tale, akin to Star Wars. The hero needs to learn to overcome his faults in order to succeed. There’s also an emphasis on the roles of parents in the film.

Will Smith’s Cypher Raige is a compelling character. Many critics have complained about Will Smith’s performance in this film, calling it “wooden,” because he didn't run around yelling catchy lines like, “it’s raining black folks!” But I think this is one of his best performances in recent years.

In After Earth Will Smith has to play a man who is emotional, but can’t connect with others. He’s the flawed hero. His flaw makes him a powerful warrior but a distant father. He spends more time on the battlefield than with his family. Will smith did an excellent job of portraying this inner turmoil in a very nuanced performance. You constantly see the struggle in his eyes. He wants to connect with his son but just doesn't know how to. At the start of his son’s quest he addresses his son mainly by rank, cadet. But as the story progresses and Kitai encounters escalating danger, Cypher breaks down slightly and starts addressing Kitai as son. You can see the concern and fear of losing his son that he’s keeping in check.

Jaden Smith’s character Kitai Raige is the complete opposite of his father. His emotions are always raw and apparent. He can’t contain his emotions or even control them. You quickly understand why these two characters would have trouble connecting with each other. Criticisms of Jaden’s performance have been overly harsh. He’s not at his father’s level as an actor yet, but he did an admiral job of carrying the bulk of this film. You root for his success and you want him to overcome his fears.

The CGI in After Earth is good enough to get by but no where near the level of “Man of Steel.” I don’t mind mediocre CGI if the movie is good enough to compensate for it and After Earth is that kind of movie. The character development and the story were enough to make me forgive the sometimes unconvincing creatures. I will say this, while Man of Steel had incredible effects, I was still bored during the epic fight scenes. If you can’t invest in the characters then how can you feel anything when they are in peril.

In this age of overly complicated plots/storylines where the villains have to trick the good guy into doing something that they can easily do themselves. Then the villain gets captured on purpose as part of his plan. All leading up to a predictable Shyamalan-ish plot twist at the end. It’s refreshing to see a movie like After Earth where the characters get to shine and the events happening around them takes a back seat to their growth. Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek into darkness, and Iron Man 3 are all movies that misled the audience just to incorporate an “awww crap moment” at the end. DKR actually had two plot twists at the end. So it’s nice to see Shyamalan abandon this tired concept that he was dependent upon in his earlier films.

At the end of the day, After Earth is a good film that is more than worthy of your time. What it lacks in explosions and ridiculous set pieces, it more than makes up for in character development and story.
  13. May 31, 2013
    “After Earth” is a step in the right direction for director M. Night Shyamalan. While the film doesn’t reach the highs of his earlier work, it is worlds better than any of his recent blunders. This film showcases the careful eye for detail that Shyamalan poses as each scene is crafted and shot very carefully. There are legitimate scares and awe inspiring scenery. The visual effects are“After Earth” is a step in the right direction for director M. Night Shyamalan. While the film doesn’t reach the highs of his earlier work, it is worlds better than any of his recent blunders. This film showcases the careful eye for detail that Shyamalan poses as each scene is crafted and shot very carefully. There are legitimate scares and awe inspiring scenery. The visual effects are good for the most part, but sometimes don’t mesh very well with the rest of the world. The action sequences really have us at the edge of our seats as they are filled with adrenaline and moments of surprise. On the other hand, the writing in the film is rather questionable. The message is very on the nose and the dialogue is a bit awkward. Don’t get me wrong, there are some decent lines in the film, but most of them are on the dull side.

Acting is okay for the most part. Will Smith gives a completely different performance from his usual. He’s very reserved in his emotions and the few times he does emote, are really touching. Jaden on the other hand, is very hit or miss. He’s usually good, but doesn’t really show a lot of range.

Overall, “After Earth” is a fairly decent flick that with better writing could have been a great film. It’s emotions, message, and story are kind of straight forward, but the direction by Shyamalan is truly what makes this movie worth watching. The characters are one dimensional and the acting is okay, but they get the job done. James Newton Howards score in the film is another highlight that takes the experience to another level. His score is exciting, mysterious, and bombastic with a layer of danger. I give it a low 3.5/5, not the best movie out there, but a solid experience that’s worth checking out.
  14. Jun 2, 2013
    I went to this movie with no hope. Critics are bashing it and there are generally bad thoughts about the movie. However, I must say that it was not all that bad. There is an interesting premise and the new Earth setting is generally interesting. However some affects fall short of stellar, This movie needed to release in January, where it would have been met with much more palatable reviewsI went to this movie with no hope. Critics are bashing it and there are generally bad thoughts about the movie. However, I must say that it was not all that bad. There is an interesting premise and the new Earth setting is generally interesting. However some affects fall short of stellar, This movie needed to release in January, where it would have been met with much more palatable reviews because I had a lot more fun with this film than I did with Tom Cruise's "Oblivion"

our movie is about the Son of one of Humanity's greatest war veterans. He is brought alongside his father on a mission that goes wrong. The boy is forced to traverse an Earth that has evolved to kill humans. Thus we have our movie.

Jaden Smith is NOT Will Smith, he is a child trying to find his acting chops. However, he is not a bad actor at all. There are parts in this film that his childish mannerisms were good for the film. He was not supposed to be a Bad-Ass super soldier prodigy child and that actually added depth to a world of bland, emotionless people.

The big issue with criticisms of this movie is the anit- M. Night hordes that seem to just want to crap on the man's name. The Last Airbender was horrible, The Happening was hilarious, but this movie was not as bad as many are saying. There are lackluster affects, and the script is not amazing, and there are two scenes with M. Night's name written all over them. Those scenes really didn't belong in the movie. Yet, the movie had it's charm. I enjoyed seeing it and I would recommend it to the survival film lovers out there .

Tastebud Rating Satisfying
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    Great movie. It is science fiction but its first of all its about father & son love. Maybe that`s the reason why so many critics didn`t understand this movie. If you are a father or a son you will cry at the end and maybe few times more. Great visuals, great story, good action and little thrill. Don`t listen to anybody just go and enjoy it. I love this movie..
  16. Jun 13, 2013
    Be warned that this is a rather slow-paced film but if you can stick it out it's still a good movie with a satisfying end. Both the Smith's play their roles well despite Jaden not being the most likable of actors and playing somewhat of a weak lead character. Perhaps it could have done with a few more characters because most of the focus is on the two of them, but it held my interest and IBe warned that this is a rather slow-paced film but if you can stick it out it's still a good movie with a satisfying end. Both the Smith's play their roles well despite Jaden not being the most likable of actors and playing somewhat of a weak lead character. Perhaps it could have done with a few more characters because most of the focus is on the two of them, but it held my interest and I wanted to see how it ended up. Overall I can see why a lot haven't liked it, but I thought it was good. Expand
  17. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Earth is a positive story about father and son. The story leads the viewer into the life of the son who is trying hard to please his father. The son looks to his father for approval but fails to measure up.
    During a trip the two are stranded and it is up to the son to save them both. See this movie because the message is more important than the great special effects.
    See this movie because no one should have you skip a movie that just might help you personally.
  18. Jun 2, 2013
    Six of us went expecting to be disappointed after reading critic reviews. Imagine our surprise when we all left, loving the movie! Many critic's reviews are mean spirited. I think the critics were specifically looking for anything wrong with the movie because M Knight Shamalan was involved. He has created a lot of "stinkers" lately. This is not one. I also think the nasty comments aboutSix of us went expecting to be disappointed after reading critic reviews. Imagine our surprise when we all left, loving the movie! Many critic's reviews are mean spirited. I think the critics were specifically looking for anything wrong with the movie because M Knight Shamalan was involved. He has created a lot of "stinkers" lately. This is not one. I also think the nasty comments about Jaden were unwarranted. He did a great job. Many reviews compared him to his father. Not fair. I've enjoyed Jaden's performances in his other movies. Some critics complained that they wanted more specific explanation about some of the Sci fi elements. I say it's science "fiction". Use your imagination. We came up with all kinds of fun, interesting plausible explanations on the way home. If you haven't planned on going because of the critic reviews, keep an open mind and go anyway. This is not Cowboys VS Aliens. Now that was a stinker! Collapse
  19. Jun 3, 2013
    Great movie WIll and his son did a greate job. At first i wasent sold on jaden but as time went by in the movie he did a good job. He will grow up to be a great actor one day. Maybe you have to have a teenage boy to relate.
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    Watched this film last night expecting to be disappointed. I was out voted by wife and kids(aged 17 13). I wanted to go for Man of steel after reading the reviews on this sight. Thankfully I was in for a I big surprise. What a great film exciting in parts, suspenseful in parts and funny in parts. Well put together great special effects. A great choice for a family trip to the movies.Watched this film last night expecting to be disappointed. I was out voted by wife and kids(aged 17 13). I wanted to go for Man of steel after reading the reviews on this sight. Thankfully I was in for a I big surprise. What a great film exciting in parts, suspenseful in parts and funny in parts. Well put together great special effects. A great choice for a family trip to the movies. Recommend to all. Expand
  21. Jun 3, 2013
    Another movie filled with unwarranted hate towards M. Night Shyamalan. Yes, The Last Airbender was a miserable failure. We get it. That does not mean the man is incapable of making good movies.

One of the reasons, I'm assuming, many critics left unsatisfied, is because of how small-scale this movie truly is. It isn't supposed to feel like a huge, immersive epic, but rather one part of a far larger universe. This story was designed to feel small, as it was more about Jaden's character's relationship with his father, rather than a full out war between two adept alien species. The tension is slow burning, and there are only a few scenes that can actually be labeled as action. This movie is just as much drama as it is a Sci-Fi thriller.

When the action is kicked up a notch however, Shyamalan nows just how to keep the audience on the edge of their seats. Some people in the audience were clutching onto their cup-holders, teeth chattering. The visuals aren't perfect. However, when they work, they are spot on.

Jaden Smith, who is obviously not yet as strong of an actor as his father, still has some scene stealing moments. Obviously, it is Will Smith who truly grounds the movie, providing advice for his son, as he maneuvers through the forest.

The concept is interesting enough, but in the end, the movie feels a bit short. A few more scenes of Jaden's journey through the dangerous forests, and perhaps a slightly longer ending would have given the movie a little more power.
    Overall, if you allow yourself to enter the movie without trying to bash every last minor flaw, due to your odd obsession with bashing M. Night Shyamalan, you may be pleasantly surprised. This movie provides a touching father-son story with an overall effective twist. I'd recommend it.
  22. Jun 3, 2013
    I enjoyed it. I already knew before seeing it that both critics and users would already give this a dumb down review. While I was watching I kept telling myself that Jaden Smith is certainly getting better and better every movie I see him in. Overall this movie is a must watch for even SYFY Fan. I will buy this once it comes out on DVD BlueRay
  23. Jun 16, 2013
    Despite my love for Shyamalan movies, I did not expect to like this movie based on the trailers. This movie provided everything a good scifi/action movie should, great special effects, a plausible and exciting plot, a few scary moments and decent (if not great) acting. Jaden Smith is young and his acting is held up by his dad's but I didn't find it took much away from the movie. ThereDespite my love for Shyamalan movies, I did not expect to like this movie based on the trailers. This movie provided everything a good scifi/action movie should, great special effects, a plausible and exciting plot, a few scary moments and decent (if not great) acting. Jaden Smith is young and his acting is held up by his dad's but I didn't find it took much away from the movie. There won't be any Oscars here but this movie is great summer entertainment. I highly recommend it. Expand
  24. Jul 26, 2013
    more and more it seems as if sixth sense was an anomaly
    and jaden smith couldn't act his way out of a paper bag
    this was disappointing but not unexpected
  25. Jul 31, 2013
    All the new space movies lack depth however compared to oblivion this one is a lot more engaging and easy to follow ...I think jayden smith acting for a kid was awesomeness ...he is pretty much main and only character ....but can't give the highest score because film lacks depth and details .but great acting
  26. Oct 5, 2013
    Yet another example of overly critical critics. I really don't see why everyone hates this movie. I watched it; not knowing what to expect. It was actually really good. I heavily disliked the futuristic cities in the opening sequences, but other than that and the kind of crappy CGI creatures and the stupid looking spaceships, it was great. I loved the beautiful exotic scenery, and likedYet another example of overly critical critics. I really don't see why everyone hates this movie. I watched it; not knowing what to expect. It was actually really good. I heavily disliked the futuristic cities in the opening sequences, but other than that and the kind of crappy CGI creatures and the stupid looking spaceships, it was great. I loved the beautiful exotic scenery, and liked the story. I think the actors, for the most part, did really well in their roles (except for the first and last few scenes). The criticism against Will and Jaden was really uncalled for, as except for a handful of scenes they did excellent.

If you liked this review, please mark it as helpful and see my other many reviews on a wide range of movies and TV shows.
  27. Oct 11, 2013
    I think M. Night is growing as a director. His sense of visual style is amazing. His dialogue is poetry. The characters are very real. He is one of the best fantasy directors out there right now. Can't wait to see what's next. After Earth was extremely visceral experience. I'm looking for more.
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    Really good movie, a great mix of sci-fi and adventure. I like the relationship between Will Smith and Jaden Smith. I liked the story and the direct of Shyamalan, ok the movie have his fault, but is entertainment and works well for me.
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    Im not understanding why people didnt like this one. Not only is it an action/sci-fi that is both entertaining and family friendly, but it teaches some very good lessons about fatherhood within military life. As someone who grew up in the military, maybe I was just more able to relate to these nuances than some, but I thought they did an excellent job of making us think about everythingIm not understanding why people didnt like this one. Not only is it an action/sci-fi that is both entertaining and family friendly, but it teaches some very good lessons about fatherhood within military life. As someone who grew up in the military, maybe I was just more able to relate to these nuances than some, but I thought they did an excellent job of making us think about everything from parenthood to the environment. While they dont hammer the environmental theme like you would expect, the truth is it paints a very realistic and dare I say probable future for earth if humanity doesn't get it together sooner.

I love will smith movies because be doesn't need to make excessive use of profanity and senseless violence to draw audiences. People can hate on his sons acting but the dude is a teenager. If you are comparing him to his father or other seasoned actors, you are an amateur film critic.
  30. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a good movie, excellent family movie. The theme takes a couple of roads. The theme of the fight for one-self, over coming the internal things that hold us back is universal. The theme of son longing for Father... wanting to live up to the realized lofty godhead figure of the Hero Father is also universal. Not feeling the negative reviews I have read thus far. Makes me feelThis is a good movie, excellent family movie. The theme takes a couple of roads. The theme of the fight for one-self, over coming the internal things that hold us back is universal. The theme of son longing for Father... wanting to live up to the realized lofty godhead figure of the Hero Father is also universal. Not feeling the negative reviews I have read thus far. Makes me feel something is afoot. The savior of humanity is a Black Man. The Hero of the film is a Black child/Man. Nah' mean. I don't remember seeing a film (sci-fi) where it is a serious film with African Men as the hero's who over come enemies both within and with-out. Great film see it for yourself, take your 7 and up kids with you. You and they will not be disappoinnted.. Expand
  31. Sep 18, 2013
    Will Smith, After Earth “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” Now that is just a awesome qoute! gets me amped. Dont get why this movie scored so low, I enjoyed every minute of it... check it out!
  32. Jan 31, 2014
    Really good film. It has elements to it that actually made me talk to the screen, I love this film. A few parts of the film make me think its a bit far fetched but apart from that I love it!
  33. Feb 1, 2014
    I liked it,great efforts of all sides great visual effects and the Smiths were very good...i felt that the fatherhood was present between Will Smith and Jaden Smith...i say it is a good movie to watch.
  34. Jan 30, 2014
    I watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use moreI watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use more detail but I've seen a lot worse movies than this. I recommend, this movie to anyone interested in a good movie. Expand
  35. Feb 24, 2014
    I must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his partI must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his part well, he is suppose to be emotionless. You have to try to put yourself in the future folks, and understand what is going on. You have to pay attention to a sci-fi. They say the story is thin. Does every movie have to have a story that is all over the place. This is a survival, adventure sci-fi. rate it as such, and do not review it if you do not like those types of movies. Stick to your dramas and don't rate this as one. Good job, need more movies with visions of the future. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.