4.2

1. Jun 28, 2014
    What happened to M.Night after the The Village? The acting is bad and the plot is lacking potential. Infact Will Smith's facial expression was how I felt throughout this whole movie. I really hate to say this but Will Smith **** up this movie and the screenplay is terrible.
  2. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was sort of slow paced and boring, it lacked interesting action, and had some bad acting. It was an O.K. movie it had some action and an O.K. storyline. But what do you expect, any movie by
    M. Night Shyamalan will probably be pretty bad or dumb.
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    After Earth was expected to be bad by me because of M. Night Shamylan's directing ability. The Sixth Sense was great, Unbreakable was really good, Signs was good, The Village was OK, the Happening was terrible, and this movie is even worse. They took Will Smith and **** on his acting abilities. He was downright awful and he was a huge miscast.
  4. May 19, 2014
    M. Night Shayamalan has once again produced another thumbs down movie that no one should scene. This film fails to offer anything interesting in terms of characters or story. The most I can say for this movie is that it has some nice effects and cool technology. This movie is an hour and a half of nothing and somehow takes an intriguing premise and fails to anything remotely interesting with it. Please do yourself a favor and don’t waste your time watching this movie. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2014
    Although this is a very (unintentionally) funny movie, I decided I wouldn't rate it a 8/8 since I feel like Metacritic is a bit more serious than IMDB when it comes it movies. Anyway After Earth is a movie filled with plot-holes, horrible acting, technical errors, awkward accents, and Moby Dick. Moby Dick....... Why is Moby Dick even a thing in this movie? I'm sure it COULD HAVE been a subtle reminder of Jaden and Will's family but good lord M. Night you didn't have to shove in our faces as much as you did. Anyway the accents are funny, the acting is goofy, the technical errors are noticable, and Moby Dick is completely unnecessary. Expand
  6. Mar 26, 2014
    Smith wanted everyone to know that he basically directed this and Shyamalan was more or less the cameraman - I bet he wished he could take that back...
  7. Mar 8, 2014
    This boring movie is filled with conflicting messages. The father tells the son to conquer his fear and not to be emotional, and yet we tend to have this father-and-son bond relationship. So ultimately, what are we rooting for? Are we supposed to care about their relationship if they're both unemotional? Goddamn, it's so badly-written.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    I must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his part well, he is suppose to be emotionless. You have to try to put yourself in the future folks, and understand what is going on. You have to pay attention to a sci-fi. They say the story is thin. Does every movie have to have a story that is all over the place. This is a survival, adventure sci-fi. rate it as such, and do not review it if you do not like those types of movies. Stick to your dramas and don't rate this as one. Good job, need more movies with visions of the future. Expand
  9. Feb 17, 2014
    I watched 15 minutes of this, which was all I could stand. Nepotism has already been mentioned in these reviews and I can only agree. The lack of emotion from Will and Jaden was difficult to watch. Perhaps Jaden has a future as an actor but he needs to attend a decent acting school. At the time this movie was made his acting skill was dreadful and it exposed his lack of talent. It takes more than an attractive face to be a successful actor.

I think his Dad is blinded by the deep affection he has for both his children.
  10. Feb 14, 2014
    The only thing raising this turkey above zero is the fact that, as far as I could tell, there weren`t any microphones poking into any shots or any sets collapsing in the background. The movie is so bad I just stopped watching and went to bed about 2/3 of the way in, which is rare.
    I never really liked Smith. He has goofy and some weird tough guy act which makes him look as if he`s being
    zapped with a cattle prod, and if you don`t like those he`s out. But his son is worse. Ranging between whining about his father and crying to tantrums, his most regular appearance is of a dull boy who has just been shot in the ass with a tranquilizer gun. Fortunately he is so bad that in a lame attempt to hide this fact he doesn`t have any lines in a lot of scenes, but just stands there nodding or repeating the other actor`s lines, like some slow kid who has been brought up in front of the class to be mocked and ridiculed. It would be funny if it wasn`t so unbearably sanctimonious.
    I suppose we could admire Smith JR for trying to lead a movie right in the middle of his awkward phase, sporting his freshly shaved 14 hair mustache look; but personally I`m not sure I`d have hired him to play a cow in a primary school nativity play. He constantly has this weird, annoying grimace on, which I didn`t realize was supposed to convey fear until I read reviews online after suffering through the movie, And this leads us the the "message" in this awful turkey, which is that fear is bad and that you can`t kill space bugs when you`re afraid.
    Detailing all the weird plot holes in After Earth is an entire study in itself, and due to my profound lack of interest in the movie I probably missed a few, but here goes anyway: First of all humans in the movie are able to build inter stellar space craft but apparently not guns of any kind, which is presumably why they are being hunted by blind bugs. In the movie`s only promising moment Will Smith gets sucked out of a crashing space ship far above the canopy of the forest, and for a second you are tricked into believing that the director has just killed off his overpaid, overrated Hollywood degenerate 15 minutes into the movie, leaving his untalented son to lead the movie by himself, as a sort of girlish, black Tom Hanks Castaway in space. But then he miraculously reappears on the ground almost immediately; unconscious and with two broken legs, but exactly as robotic and dull as before. Then the most comical parts of the movie occur when the incapable son is sent to retrieve a transmitter from the tail of the vehicle, which crashed where Will Smith`s corpse should probably have landed. According to the lifeless Will Smith night time brings intense cold which ravages the land so that any humans caught outdoors will instantly freeze to death, even though every single stinking scene in the movie is set in lush forest surroundings. So the question is: if the cold will kill Will`s brain damaged son instantly, how come all the trees still have leaves on and baboons can live there because it`s so nice and warm?
    Never mind this nonsense though because the solution to this weird problem is "hot zones" at regular intervals between the ship from which the immobilized Will Smith is directing his comatose progeny and the tail to which said son must travel. As long as he reaches a "hot zone" every evening before the harmless cold kills him he`ll be all fine and dandy. How convenient! How a grown man could have written such awful trash is a mystery, as is how he might then have been able to convince another grown man to direct it for him, dragging their names and the names of all associated with them into the mud.
    Every aspect of this movie, short of some of the special effects and I guess pretty shots of forest (the one not having been killed by the intense cold I mentioned), is absolutely horrible. I would rather download old episodes of Lost in Space from the mid 60s than watch After Earth again, special effects be damned! By far and away the worst movie of 2013 that I`m aware of. And Smith JR should go back to school at once.
  11. Feb 2, 2014
    t has more flaws (uninteresting characters, slow pacing, small storyline, predictability) than strengths but After Earth is focused on its plot and offers enough visual thrills to qualify as a good movie.
  12. Feb 1, 2014
    I liked it,great efforts of all sides great visual effects and the Smiths were very good...i felt that the fatherhood was present between Will Smith and Jaden Smith...i say it is a good movie to watch.
  13. Feb 1, 2014
    Let's see. So the message is no there's no such thing as fear. Ok. think will take a dive in this tank of box jellyfish. Hey, that is an enlightening message since it means no more watching this crap...
  14. Jan 31, 2014
    Really good film. It has elements to it that actually made me talk to the screen, I love this film. A few parts of the film make me think its a bit far fetched but apart from that I love it!
  15. Jan 30, 2014
    I watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use more detail but I've seen a lot worse movies than this. I recommend, this movie to anyone interested in a good movie. Expand
  16. Jan 17, 2014
    Simply one of the worst movies of all time, After Earth is full of bland, dull, and simply boring acting, even with Will Smith one of the most charismatic actors in Hollywood, who is reduced into a dull, and shallow character, that you don't care about, and his son Jaden Smith, who has no talents at all, and his character is dumb, and annoying, and a lot of plot holes, that makes me lose all faith that M Night Shyamalan, the director behind the Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable will ever find his way once again. Expand
  17. Jan 1, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan left his brain back at the film Signs. After Earth is an unpleasant movie with poor writing and acting, stuff that will make your eyes roll. Will Smith's character isn't inspirational, like he tries to be, and he comes off as monotone and mean. It's basically a failed motivational seminar.

F
  18. Dec 2, 2013
    This is terrible movie making at its finest. Confusing introduction, lack of character development and an incredibly bland storyline. They have the insane technology of colour-changing suits when danger is real around them... you'd think with such advanced technology, they would have at least a GPS system on them rather than having Kitai go on an unnecessary journey through the surprisingly bright wilderness. Just because humans are out of Earth's equation, does not mean animals and plants would just flourish like that especially since they implied humans literally up" the planet. The concept was unique... but like most cases, it was poorly executed. Expand
  19. Nov 24, 2013
    No suspense, forgettable action (at least the chase by the monkeys was funny), bad acting even from Will Smith (Jaden Smith frowns intensely to show he is afraid), a silly main idea (people do not choose their feelings from a menu), predictable ending (the kid suddenly transforms into a killing machine). There are very few visual effects and the science fiction elements are weak. The original main idea didn't include any aliens and it's evident: you could replace the monster with a grizzly bear, the spaceship with an airplane and the oxygen ratios with medicine and the plot would remain the same. Moreover the interior of the ship seems to be made of recyclable materials and after the crash there are long white things like toilet paper hanging from everywhere. Besides, why do humans in the future use blades instead of firearms? No wonder they get massacred by blind aliens!
    argonautis.eu
  20. Nov 22, 2013
    Just started watching this film and what's going on with the narrator? It sounds like an English guy doing an incredibly bad American accent, which wouldn't be quite as bad if his acting wasn't so terrible. Reminds me of the dumb kid who gets forced to read out to the class. Given up already.
  21. Nov 22, 2013
    Im not understanding why people didnt like this one. Not only is it an action/sci-fi that is both entertaining and family friendly, but it teaches some very good lessons about fatherhood within military life. As someone who grew up in the military, maybe I was just more able to relate to these nuances than some, but I thought they did an excellent job of making us think about everything from parenthood to the environment. While they dont hammer the environmental theme like you would expect, the truth is it paints a very realistic and dare I say probable future for earth if humanity doesn't get it together sooner.

I love will smith movies because be doesn't need to make excessive use of profanity and senseless violence to draw audiences. People can hate on his sons acting but the dude is a teenager. If you are comparing him to his father or other seasoned actors, you are an amateur film critic.
  22. Nov 19, 2013
    Was expecting this film to be total crap, wasn't half as bad as I expected! Decent storyline etc. but some of the acting seemed pretty bland. Not great but surprisingly entertaining and watchable
  23. Nov 18, 2013
    I was expecting this to be a complete failure. I didn't go see it at the theater because the previews just did absolutely nothing for me. Well after watching the movie I have to say I'm actually pleased. I rather enjoyed the movie even if so many of the graphics looked utterly fake.
  24. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the better sci-fi movies I've watched in a long time. I loved watching it and was constantly wondering what was around the next corner. It kept me on the edge of my seat. It's also really cool to watch both Jaden and Will smith together in the movie. They work well with each other. I really enjoyed this film, but there are some issues throughout. Acting is kind of awkward at times by all of the cast. Whether it is the weird accents or the overly-serious Will Smith, something is a little off in the acting department, but overall they still do a good job. There are also some duds in the dialog. A section where Will Smith describes to his son when he lost the ability to afraid ends up being overly cheesy thanks to some goofy lines. These flaws do hurt the film, but only a little. All of the issues end up fading away when faced with the more emotional or intense moments. All I have left to say is that I highly enjoyed this movie and recommend it. It's a movie that manages to overcome its flaws and create an experience unlike any science fiction movie I've seen before. Expand
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    Watched this with a mate of mine and we both thought it was truly terrible. Only surprise I had on checking meta critic was that the average was as high as it is.. Not even worth pirating.
  26. Oct 20, 2013
    I like when sci-fi movies transport me in a credible future and this one did it. I don't get why peoples are so negative. For me it's 10 times better than the last "sanitized style" Star Trek where everything is polished and shiny. This one is more "raw" and credible even if there is "creatures". The kid acted nicely and Will too. For those who complain that he was "empty", it was his character so he did a good job. Great movie. Expand
  27. Oct 19, 2013
    Finally an M. Night Shyamalan movie that doesn't suck, but then again the story was evidently written by Will Smith. While this film was far from perfect, After Earth does have a lot of good things going for it. First of all, and most obvious, is the cinematography and the special effects. This movie looks beautiful and Shyamalan does a masterful job of creating a really special environment and the re-imagining of Earth was pretty interesting. The acting of Jaden Smith and Will Smith was also really good. All of the characters spoke with an interesting accent for the film and, while it was strange at first, it gave the setting more of an authentic vibe. Speaking of the setting, that's one of the only real weak points, in my opinion. I really wish they would've developed the setting more. All we're told is that the Earth suffered some cataclysmic event that forced humanity to evacuate and settle elsewhere. We're also told that aliens attacked our new settlement with some strange creature called the Ursa. This is all essentially skimmed over and it leaves a certain emptiness to what seems to be an interesting story. Maybe they're leaving it open for a prequel, I don't know, but it should've been covered more and it kind of feels a bit lazy. I honestly don't understand the harsh criticism of this film, nonetheless, I enjoyed it. There were some elements of the plot and setting that forced you to suspend reasoning a bit too much but it was entertaining and interesting and even wise in certain areas. Expand
  28. Oct 13, 2013
    I'll keep it short, I almost missed a good movie because of poor reviews, but after watching this movie I was satisfied and felt moved enough to come and write a review to counter the critics. Don't miss this movie because of negative critics, there is a lot of classic and worthwhile films that got poor reviews at the time of release, but are now considered to be cult classics.
    Bottom
    line: entertaining fable, with a emotional moral to the story worth watching. Expand
  29. Oct 13, 2013
    While well made, this film fails on nearly every other level. The plot and story drudges at such a slow pace that I almost fell asleep watching it. Sure the visuals are nice, but what does that matter when the acting and story are terrible? Somehow Night was able to suck the life out of one of the most interesting character duos in The Pursuit of Happyness. It eventually reaches a level of mediocrity that barely satisfies someone looking to watch a cheap hollywood sci-fi film. Expand
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    This is the worst big budget movie, I have ever seen! There is nothing good about this movie! The acting is awful, there is no story, the effects are even bad!
  31. LTR
    Oct 12, 2013
    This is an okay movie.The father-son duo isn't as good as everyone thought.The world is pretty cool,some of the scenes were random and the end was pretty fast.
  32. Oct 11, 2013
    I think M. Night is growing as a director. His sense of visual style is amazing. His dialogue is poetry. The characters are very real. He is one of the best fantasy directors out there right now. Can't wait to see what's next. After Earth was extremely visceral experience. I'm looking for more.
  33. Oct 11, 2013
    After Earth is one of those movies that you just know is going to be terrible. Will Smith and his son are terrible actors. The script for the movie sucks, it dosint make any sense. The motives for what they are doing dosint make any sense. The world, characters, and script of this movie suck, this is one of the worst movies ive ever seen. M. Night Shamalan is a terrible director. I fell asleep in the first 40 minutes of the movie. I say skip this movie you wont find anything redeeming from watching it. Expand
  34. Oct 10, 2013
    I read the horrible reviews, saw it was a big "NO", but still enjoyed it! Yes, the acting is kinda cheesy (okay, really cheesy in parts), Will Smith and Son's weird 'accents' are off-putting (just speak normally, for Pete's sake!) but I liked the story and efforts to put sci-fi type detail in it, instead of taking the easy route. The bird part was unexpectedly sad (get your kleenex) but try it, you might like it! I think reviewers were reacting more to the fact that Will Smith wrote, starred in and co-directed it, which tends to turn people off because it is so obviously self-indulgent, but if you ignore that, it's not a bad movie! P.S. I consider myself a fairly harsh sci-fi movie critic, e.g., didn't think 'Gravity' was "all that and a bag of chips" other than the visual effects (which were stunning). Expand
  35. Oct 10, 2013
    There really is only one word to describe this movie: Boring. While the film has some great visuals and special effects, it can't cover up how lifeless this sci-fi tale is and it DEFINITELY can't cover up how bad of an actor Jaden Smith is (luckily your dad is nice enough to give and pay for a career). Will Smith, normally a good actor, matches his son in the lifeless department and his failure is only multiplied when you realize this movie was almost ENTIRELY his baby. This is the one time you have an M. Night Shymalan movie where you can actually put the blame on someone OTHER than M. Night Shymalan. Expand
  36. Oct 10, 2013
    It was a big disappointment. Here has been impressive at times but most of the CGI is very weakly, there is nothing simple story twists and turns, and sometimes can even be flattened. Will Smith's worst movie theater I think.
  37. Oct 8, 2013
    Much worse than typical rich star's vanity piece. Total waste of time and money. How did Smith forget how to act? And the shame is such a big piece was wasted on this total lack of talent. His son might have some redeeming attributes but act is not one of them. Will- you're a has been and your son's a boring loser.
  38. Oct 5, 2013
    Yet another example of overly critical critics. I really don't see why everyone hates this movie. I watched it; not knowing what to expect. It was actually really good. I heavily disliked the futuristic cities in the opening sequences, but other than that and the kind of crappy CGI creatures and the stupid looking spaceships, it was great. I loved the beautiful exotic scenery, and liked the story. I think the actors, for the most part, did really well in their roles (except for the first and last few scenes). The criticism against Will and Jaden was really uncalled for, as except for a handful of scenes they did excellent.

If you liked this review, please mark it as helpful and see my other many reviews on a wide range of movies and TV shows.
  39. Oct 4, 2013
    The combination of Hollywood nepotism and a quickly fading directorial star provides the backbone for the futuristic sci-fi lack-of-adventure yarn "After Earth."In just his second picture since 2008, Will Smith teams with fellow Philadelphian M. Night Shyamalan, who is working from a story written by Smith, and a script by Gary Whitta "The Book of Eli" (2010). The once-revered auteur has long since fallen from grace, to the extent that his name was notably absent from any of the film's advertising. However, "After Earth" has problems that go far deeper than Shyamalan's bland tone and lethargic pacing. The movie is rarely fascinating, incredibly pedestrian, and curiously unimaginative.

Shyamalan wastes no time commencing his narrative gimmick by announcing the rules of the story. It has been a thousand years since Earth self-destructed, ravaged by natural disasters and a deteriorating environmental infrastructure. The surviving humans evacuated the planet, settling on a new home known as Nova Prime. For 13-year-old Kitai (Jaden Smith), who is training to become a ranger like his often absent father, General Cypher Raige (Will Smith), he worries that he will let his dad down if he doesn't follow in his footsteps.

The elder Raige decides to bring him along on his last mission before he intends to retire. En route, a meteor shower damages the spacecraft, causing it to crash-land on the now-uninhabitable Earth. With the rest of the crew dead and Cypher badly injured, it is up to Kitai to travel 100 kilometers across the harsh and wild landscape to find the tail of the ship and retrieve the beacon that will send help their way. If he doesn't succeed, father and son will perish.

The special effects are adequate, but are noticeably fake compared to other effects-driven films like "Star Trek into Darkness" (2013) or "Oblivion" (2013). The film tries to tackle, on the most superficial level, the rites of passage. But with such a bland story and weak performances, the underlying meaning in the film only leads to indifference.

Jaden Smith, who was decent in "The Karate Kid" (2012), completely falls flat in his performance for this role. The complete lack of emotional range stifles any of the hopelessly unimaginative screenplay's contrived father/son drama. The elder Smith may have a story credit here, but "After Earth" is not only an obvious attempt to keep his son relevant, but it is also a by-the-numbers survival story that never manages to surprise or excite despite an endless array of possibilities.

"After Earth" feature's excessive CGI effects that rarely impresses, an A-list actor sitting on the sidelines, symbolism as obvious as the narrative is predictable, and is relentlessly uneventful. On a positive note for Mr. Smith, it's not nearly as bad as the completely forgettable "Wild Wild West" (1999).
  40. Oct 2, 2013
    As a sci-fi enthusiast I feel deeply disappointed. The story is predictable in 70% from the title alone, but after 5 min prologue, you know 90%. CGI is cheap and blending is terrible, sets look cheap, acting feels amateur and inconsistent... there is no world building except for this 5 min prologue and plot holes are so big you could fit Will Smith with his whole family inside them :P Why, oh why, was it let out of the editing room is beyond me. Worst movie of the year, one of the worst sci-fi pieces I've seen... Expand
  41. Oct 2, 2013
    Wow this was boooooooooring. I was expecting something like in the line of Starship Troopers with Will Smith in the main role and Jaden as sidekick (or something) running around chopping of those alien bugs Rambo style but instead I got his son running trough the jungle for an hour or so, I mean come on.
  42. Sep 27, 2013
    Another movie made attempting to relate to gamers. It failed. Not only it does not make any sense from the beginning to the end, it also lacks soul.

Maybe its target public is 8 year old kids.
  43. Sep 25, 2013
    I am a big SciFi fan, yet something like that I never experienced. Was it the effects that ruined it, was it the lame story, the extra-lame acting of the second Smith in the movie, the directing of someone who got after Signs too much credit and couldn't deliver since (with the exception of the low budget Devil). I really cant say. Its just very disappointing and I wished I would not have seen it, not spend the time nor the money. But I wanted to know it for myself if the critics are right, since they are so many times wrong (in my opinion).

Well, they are right, and yet they even gave the movie way too much credit. Probably because of Will Smith.
  44. Sep 24, 2013
    The story is so goddamn thin you can sum it up in one sentence: Will & Jaden Smith crash on a planet, Jaden has to get to a beacon so they can get saved. That's it. Oh yeah, there is a very short intro to all this but it's incredibly superficial and trivial. Ok, so the film might not be as bad as they say, but this not how scifi is supposed to be. Today's movie technology alows directors to put anything on the screen they ever wanted and this is all they could come up with? These Hollywood folk are getting so lazy even the saturday night pop-corn munching audience is going to start noticing. In fact, they have noticed, coz nobody went out and saw it. And uh...M. Night Shyamalan, your jig's up. Start looking for another job. This was your last chance. Expand
  45. Sep 24, 2013
    If theres one thing I learned from my father is: if the critics hated it, watch it! You're probably gonna live it! And guess what? I really liked this movie. It presented nice futuristics possibilities, and a good father son story. The philosophy of the movie is also very good. I couldnt understand why critics hated it so much, but anyway, what do critics know? The movie was a very good piece of work. Nice jobs guys! Expand
  46. Sep 22, 2013
    This is absolute garbage. I was hoping this would at least be better than Resident Evil Retribution but my God, this is just a crime against your wallet. If you enjoyed this movie, liked its page on facebook and spoken about how you 'liked it' because of whatever ignorant, pathetic, childish reason you have then I will have to unfortunately send you off to the firing squad. The acting was mediocre, Jaden Smith is just not fit for a movie like this and the whole story is just plain-ass cliche', uninteresting, highly predictable and well, pretty much I was bored out of my mind watching this load of dung. You can pretty much just fast skip through the movie and jump scenes and you wont be missing out on anything at all. Just watch the intro, skip to the part where the ship crashes, skip to a random scene where Jaden is in some random encounter (there's tons in this movie) and skip to the predictable, lame-ass ending. Trust me, you wont be missing out on anything. This is not worth your purchase, your download bandwidth or your time. I'd rather be doing a uni assignment then watching this piece of Worst movie of the year and one of the worst movies Ive seen in a long while. I want my 90 minutes back. Expand
  47. Sep 21, 2013
    I don't understand why so many people are hating on this film, and why it is getting such a poor rating. It's nothing special, sure, but it's not bad. I see people complaining about Jaden's acting, but I thought it was fine (it wasn't outstanding, and there is room for improvement, obviously, but there was nothing wrong with it. Also, he's just a kid, give him a break), and so was Will's. The effects were nice (I won't go into details, as that would cause spoilers, but there is one scene in particular that is pretty awesome), and I liked the story. The one thing I have to complain about is that it would have been a much better and cooler movie if there was a more varied and larger number of obstacles and challenges for Kitai to overcome. For example he could have come across a whole lot more of various types of creatures. There was even one scene where I feel they completely left out a good potential confrontation. But oh well. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie, and I'm sure there are many others like me who will as well. Expand
  48. Sep 21, 2013
    This move is a huge waste of money and time. Its dull and boring in 95% of its length. The movie tries you to bond with the characters but you just can't (there are 2 main characters that are basically the only 2 characters in the whole movie because there is total of 13 roles in this movie!!!). You can't bond with Cypher Raige (Will Smith) because he is emotionless so basically there is nothing to bond with, and you can't bond with Kitai Raige (Jaden Smith) because he is another movie kid that we need to be babysit and you have to listen to his life problems (although his role matures into something likable later in the plot). I have bonded more with an eagle-ish bird in the middle of the movie that any of the 2 main characters. The whole climate change on Earth is unrealistic and illogical, unsuitable for human life, but still suitable for everyone else, even the alien who survived the crash. And yes, I was about to give the movie rating 4, but because of the stupid popular idea that movies have to have 100 planets on the night sky on any alien planet, this movie gets a 3. Expand
  49. Sep 20, 2013
    Congratulations Jaden Smith for giving the audience the worst performance by and actor or actress this year so far. A dumb movie with acting that is embarrassing on all levels. Another garbage film from a director that is putting himself as the worst of our generation.
  50. Sep 18, 2013
    Hi there,

Rating this movie a 10 to try and balance the negative reviews here.
    Just watched it and I find it very entertaining. Before watching it I saw reviews on IMDB saying the acting was off and Jaden doesn't have a talented bone in his body. I find this to be complete nonsense.
    The acting was good. And there are some very emotional parts in the movie that I found touching.

Very good performance and very good movie.
    If you came here for a review you should definitely watch it for yourself.
  51. Sep 18, 2013
    Will Smith, After Earth “Fear is not real. It is a product of thoughts you create. Do not misunderstand me. Danger is very real. But fear is a choice.” Now that is just a awesome qoute! gets me amped. Dont get why this movie scored so low, I enjoyed every minute of it... check it out!
  52. Sep 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The special effects are cool and that is about it.
    I really really really wanted Jaden Smith to get killed the whole time he is getting chased. I really did.
    Will Smith(AKA big daddy) was also god awful in this film.
    For the love of all things holy dont put that kid in another movie...

8/10 for the effects team but I just can't bring myself to give the movie more than a 1.
  53. Aug 29, 2013
    One thing I don't understand about critics is how they don't criticize anything at all. One thing I also don't understand about critics is how they always dislike movies, I think it's becoming more obvious that critics don't like action movies, so why even watch the movies? To act tough and use a thesaurus?

This movie was great, although the acting by Jaden Smith was a little bit rusty,
    I don't expect anything better considering this is Jaden Smith's first high-budget movie. Either way, the movie was great. I rate movies by the amount of chills I get, and although this movie's chill-o-meter was in no way on par with Star War's chill-o-meter. I give this movie a 6 out of 10.

Chills: 1
  54. Aug 25, 2013
    When i saw the trailer for this i was all like "holy s**t will smith looking as cool as ever" however after seeing the movie itself i have come to the conclusion that it is a waste of f**king time. the trailer makes it out to be this epic will smith movie full of awesomeness, it delivers no awesomeness whatsoever, will smith is in the movie for about half an hour and the 'action' (if it can be called that) is all done by jaden, not very well i may add. and as for the planet supposably being inhabited by animals evolved solely to kill humans, i didn't see many of these 'animals'. there were some monkeys that were the size of normal monkeys and a massive bird thing thats about it. most of the movie is spent watching jaden wandering round.
    IF SANE AND NOT BEREFED OF ALL THOUGHT AND OPINION AVOID AT ALL COSTS.
    IF MENTALLY CHALLENGED THEN BY ALL MEANS WATCH AWAY YOU MAY ENJOY ALL THE PRETTY COLOURS....
  55. Jul 31, 2013
    All the new space movies lack depth however compared to oblivion this one is a lot more engaging and easy to follow ...I think jayden smith acting for a kid was awesomeness ...he is pretty much main and only character ....but can't give the highest score because film lacks depth and details .but great acting
  56. Jul 29, 2013
    Weak performances no likable people this is a fun movie but really 1000 years goes by and and then its over and i go to wal-mart Not much hear feels like The Last Airbender Not good but least the place had A/C
  57. Jul 26, 2013
    more and more it seems as if sixth sense was an anomaly
    and jaden smith couldn't act his way out of a paper bag
    this was disappointing but not unexpected
  58. Jul 24, 2013
    After Earth has few moments of fun, but in the end it was kind of boring with a pretty weak script. Jaden Smith does supply some interesting scenes with some of Earth's wildlife, but those scenes are few and far between. D+
  59. Jul 24, 2013
    Ugh where do I begin? This movie was so boring, it looked so promising in the trailer, when I actually sat down to watch it, I really didn't like it, the special effects are okay, but the characters are so bland and boring, Jaden smith steals the show here though as Will is a boring character that is too serious to be something I can believe coming from Will Smith. Overall, this movie had so much unused potential, it's just another bland flick that should see itself to the $5 bin at Walmart, even then that's being a little generous Expand
  60. Jul 23, 2013
    Sadly not very impressive. The main antagonist monsters were just not scary or creative or anything. The scenery in the beginning was futuristic but colorless and unimaginative. The main part of the movie took place in a extraterrestrial jungle where several dangers awaited the protagonist. However non of these was rememberable. I can't even recall all of these dangers. The whole thing was just missing some polish. The world didn't seem any intriguing or special. It was all so... plain. Expand
  61. Jul 17, 2013
    Based on a weekly turnover, in China it is pretty frustrating to find an ideal film to watch in cinema to meet everyone’s taste, this week, the best offer (for me) is AFTER EARTH, a North American flop stars Smith Family, directed by the ever-downgrading wunderkind Mr. Shyamalan (this time descends to the hack hired by Will Smith personally). With zero expectation, the film is a slim action adventure exploits Will Smith’s star power to bolster his son Jaden Smith, but the paper-thin script and a sub-par visual SFX bewilders its viewers where its reported budget goes ($130,000,000)?, call me a sceptic, is the whole hubbub an internal money-laundry chicanery?

A pseudo-epic start briefly justifies why mankind abandons the earth, and relocates at a new planet with the new arch enemy, a fear-sensing brute. After a reckless asteroids attack, an aircraft crash-lands on earth and miraculously all the crew are dead except for Jaden and Will, the latter is the commander of the team and is injured and immobilized by broken legs for rest of the film, up till then, the film plunges into a young boy’s journey of seeking courage by facing a menagerie of mutant wild animals on his quest to track down a beacon apparatus which he could use to call for the rescue team, and now is in the rear part of the craft and lies amid the formidable wilderness, it is also a boy’s rite-of-passage to overcome a past trauma and save himself and his father, who treats him with military disciplines, but a role-model for the whole race because of his “ghosting” skill, which is facilely interpreted as a fearless warrior who is able to be invisible to the brutes, everything is well-foreseen by viewers’s imagination and the film fails to ignite audiences’ passion at all.

A glum Jaden Smith and ultra-wooden Will Smith can barely hold together the film (one wonders what has happened to the pair in THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS 2006, 7/10), already it is character-scarce, Sophie Okonedo is shamefully underused in the Will Smith’s Wife Club, and a dazzling Zoe Kravitz glints only in flashbacks and illusory parts, then all the CGI creatures take the stage by turns, and the final showdown turns out to be a major letdown, again I am very curious about how they spent the gargantuan budget? It looks too cheap compared with other summer tentpoles.

It is inevitable a stain in Mr. Smith’s filmography, the mass is repellent and jealous of nepotism especially when he or she is a superstar, the Smith family may be too keen in showcasing their ambition to establish their dynasty in Hollywood showbiz, this setback should alert them, the market is not ready yet for a blatant mega-family contrivance. Anyhow, what’s more disheartening for me is the career orbit of M. Shyamalan, to witness the fall of a young talent is never easy, although we could assume one must reach rock-bottom to bounce back, in that case, I do hope AFTER EARTH is his fortunate nadir.
  62. Jul 15, 2013
    Poorly executed lack of character, way to short they could have done much better with an extra of 20 minutes visually good and the Smiths family fit in nicely
  63. Jul 15, 2013
    Not worth seeing. Sucks. It's everywhere. Acting is horrendous. Don't waste your money. Don't even rent it at a redbox. In other words, it was tons of dog
  64. Jul 10, 2013
    This movie is junk. Flat out junk. The visuals at some points are pleasing to the eye, but only minimally. If you watch it, I feel sorry for you. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone, but at least go out and watch it to see what I am talking about.
  65. Jul 4, 2013
    Then I took and arrow to the knee!!!
    Watched this when I went to the US a couple of weeks ago.
    The acting in the film between Will Smith and his boy was like watching paint dry, no emotions.. yeah yeah I hear you say, "but he was supposed to be without emotion", but that doesn't mean that your acting needs to be flat and onesided and the only way to resolve things are to take the knee
    all the time. Come on. But then again that doesn't even come close to how bad Jaden Smiths acting was.. damn.... To bad Daddy will have so much money he can have his kid in the movies, when he should acknowledge that his boy can't act. Expand
  66. Jun 26, 2013
    This is a good movie, excellent family movie. The theme takes a couple of roads. The theme of the fight for one-self, over coming the internal things that hold us back is universal. The theme of son longing for Father... wanting to live up to the realized lofty godhead figure of the Hero Father is also universal. Not feeling the negative reviews I have read thus far. Makes me feel something is afoot. The savior of humanity is a Black Man. The Hero of the film is a Black child/Man. Nah' mean. I don't remember seeing a film (sci-fi) where it is a serious film with African Men as the hero's who over come enemies both within and with-out. Great film see it for yourself, take your 7 and up kids with you. You and they will not be disappoinnted.. Expand
  67. Jun 26, 2013
    It was sooo bad... I'm not going to repeat too much what others said, but I didn't enjoy this movie, felt I wanted to sleep at moments, and the mise-en-scene was really bad The story and universe seem to have been thought of in 5 minutes, and not expanded beyond the first idea And the sets were ugly !

Also, the extra-terrestrial enemy concept was lousy and dumb Smelling fear Easy,
    let's not be scared How could a civilization so advanced not thing of developping, I don't know, other senses for their army of pet monsters ?!

I didn't even know it was a Shyamalan movie It explained a lot of things, but the main guy to blame is Smith, wanting to push forward his son. And he pushed so hard he failed The director seem to have been hired out of pity !

It was awful...
  68. Jun 25, 2013
    what really cheesed me off about this movie was the big bird. I liked some of the spaceship designs and felt the story of the encounter with aliens could have been more played out, probably make a good movie in itself. The main star was wasted, just wasted, if your going to see this movie for him then don't bother he may as well not be in it.
  69. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Earth is a positive story about father and son. The story leads the viewer into the life of the son who is trying hard to please his father. The son looks to his father for approval but fails to measure up.
    During a trip the two are stranded and it is up to the son to save them both. See this movie because the message is more important than the great special effects.
    See this movie because no one should have you skip a movie that just might help you personally.
  70. Jun 24, 2013
    What motivated me to write a review for this movie was reading someone else stating that it's a father and son love movie. "If you're a father you'll cry at the end of this movie." Well I am a father and just have to say that is completely false. First of all throughout the film it seems as though Will Smith's character really doesn't give a gosh darn hoot about his son's life. He actually states in the film, "you go out there and don't die because I need to live through this. I don't really care what happens to you." Will Smith (who wrote this movie) wrote his part as someone who sits in a chair and looks high all the time. He was like, lets focus this movie on my son, I'll just chill here. Not to mention that the writing was just horrible anyways. Jaden's character has 1 face, crapping himself. As he runs. Falls asleep. Runs. Falls asleep. Runs. They tried to create some sort of emotional pull by him seeing his dead sister after making a raft and falling asleep on it. But it was too poorly done, when the creature was killing his sister I was honestly rooting for the creature. Because I was hoping something exciting would come of it. I don't want to write or think about this movie anymore than I have to and the reason I am giving it a 1/10 is because after the movie my friends and I were able to have a great time making fun of it. Awful, awful...thing...whatever this was. Expand
  71. Jun 24, 2013
    Cannot believe I was sincerely looking forward to seeing this movie. I have never written nor read a review on a movie so I guess I am losing my review virginity. And without sounding cringe worthy it feels so right. As this movie has compelled me to, which is clearly saying it all now.
    After Earth was a waste of money, time and effort, and I love Will Smith so a waste of his raw talent!
    I felt as though they lost the plot of the movie completely and the wasn't any genuine emotion in it. Poor acting, poor directing, and poor story line. It made me jump in some scenes but jumping isn't quite enough to say WOW I want to see that again or what good quality material for peanuts. More like what a waste of money and time!
    I shall not slate Will or Jaden as I do think they are good entertainers more so Will as Jaden is only young. But this movie really has not served them any justice.
    And due to this rubbish film I am no longer allowed to chose movies. sad times indeed.

So end conclusion do not watch it as if you are a fan like me of Big Willy he shall most definitely disappoint. No pleasure with this Sci fi.
  72. Jun 24, 2013
    Average movie,Jaden's acting is average at best.Nice landscapes and effects that about all that's nice though.Not at all what i expected no wonder its been getting such foul reviews by people.
  73. Jun 22, 2013
    Overall in my opinion After Earth was a decent film, and would be great if you focus on Kitai's adventure to actually get the beacon. I feel as if they put too much focus on the dad's injured leg, I mean, WHO CARES? We see an action movie to see action, not Will Smith acting as if he's drunk. All my friends I saw the movie with say it was a good film, but it went a little too far with the drama. Jayden was crying half of the time, and Will Smith was just acting as if his favorite show got canceled. You could easily swap, "I'm sorry, but I've lost contact with our son" to "This sucks, but Spongebob will not come on tonight." The effects were amazing and the suit I wish I had(I mean, who doesn't want a wingsuit for any time at all and the design was amazing), but the focus on survival and everything sucks. I mean, what is this MINECRAFT? And these people are humans, whats with the canisters of Oxygen-Stabilizing Banana liquid to going to do to help? Overall, the visuals were great, but the acting and dramatic scenes were poor and not needed. Expand
  74. Jun 21, 2013
    It gets a 1 because Will Smith was in it. His son has very little talent and acts like he is afraid the entire time the movie is on. Kind of like a little girl. He needs to man up or get some acting lessons. The movie itself was not good by itself.
  75. Jun 21, 2013
    About as bad as Battlefield Earth. Regardless of whether you liked any of Shamylan's earlier movies, you will not like this one. It is somehow less entertaining and horrible than Last Airbender. I kid you not. If a serial killer busts down your doors and attmepts to tie you up and force you and your family to watch this movie while eating twinkies, scarf down those twinkies and then run for the hills. If that is not possible, then end your life BY ANY MEANS, because that's how bad this movie is! Expand
  76. Jun 19, 2013
    This film was so obvious in its attempt to throw Jaden Smith in our faces that by the time the credits rolled I actually felt bad for Will for having to put up with him. The acting of this spoiled teen, who has obviously never taken an acting class, will leave you emotionally weary and confused. Jaden however does not deserve all of the blame for the colossal failure of this film. A poorly written script, an incredulous story, a plot with so many holes that it's more air than substance, laughable CGI in an era of Avatars and The Lord of the Rings, and directing that was haphazard at best and wholly unimaginative at worst. I'm sparing a heated critique of Will's bland acting in this film because he was the one element of it all that was actually mediocre and not horribly unwatchable.

Probably the most frustrating aspect of this film was its lack of ambition to create something new. In the hands of a more gifted screenwriter, a more competent director, or starring an actor with any gravitas whatsoever this film may have achieved its potential.

All of this and Moby "Dick" jokes makes After Earth one of the worst films I have ever had the pleasure to hate.
  77. Jun 19, 2013
    LOL horrible. If Will Smith wouldnt have forced Jaden down our throats and had a different director I would have given this a 2. Jaden smith is the worst actor I have ever seen. Let this be a lesson to you just because you are Will Smith's son doesnt mean you have his wit, charm, charisma, or even the ability to formulate emotion on screen. Terrible in every way. The Razzy has to go to Jaden.
  78. Jun 19, 2013
    Where to start. This movie has bad acting from Smith Jr and he's one of the only two people in the movie. The story could be good but is made bad by random unrealistic things that don't need to be there. The CGI is terrrrrrrrrrrible and took me out of the movie because all I could concentrate on is how bad the monsters/animals look. No reason to see this, move on.
  79. Jun 19, 2013
    My brother tells me that he actually liked After Earth. So reluctantly, I sat down and watched it. After seeing the movie here is my opinion. The critics are either wrong or they have an agenda. After Earth is a good movie. The performances by both Will and Jaden Smith are great. The movie has a strong and positive theme. The story flows from beginning to end, and I felt connected to the characters and their struggle throughout the film.

After Earth is the classic tale of the young warrior’s journey, both physically and spiritually. It has a very African feel to it, from the set designs, to their strange accents, to their names, to the creatures that young Kitai faces. Unlike much of the pointless trash that comes out of Hollywood these days, After Earth is a morality tale, akin to Star Wars. The hero needs to learn to overcome his faults in order to succeed. There’s also an emphasis on the roles of parents in the film.

Will Smith’s Cypher Raige is a compelling character. Many critics have complained about Will Smith’s performance in this film, calling it “wooden,” because he didn't run around yelling catchy lines like, “it’s raining black folks!” But I think this is one of his best performances in recent years.

In After Earth Will Smith has to play a man who is emotional, but can’t connect with others. He’s the flawed hero. His flaw makes him a powerful warrior but a distant father. He spends more time on the battlefield than with his family. Will smith did an excellent job of portraying this inner turmoil in a very nuanced performance. You constantly see the struggle in his eyes. He wants to connect with his son but just doesn't know how to. At the start of his son’s quest he addresses his son mainly by rank, cadet. But as the story progresses and Kitai encounters escalating danger, Cypher breaks down slightly and starts addressing Kitai as son. You can see the concern and fear of losing his son that he’s keeping in check.

Jaden Smith’s character Kitai Raige is the complete opposite of his father. His emotions are always raw and apparent. He can’t contain his emotions or even control them. You quickly understand why these two characters would have trouble connecting with each other. Criticisms of Jaden’s performance have been overly harsh. He’s not at his father’s level as an actor yet, but he did an admiral job of carrying the bulk of this film. You root for his success and you want him to overcome his fears.

The CGI in After Earth is good enough to get by but no where near the level of “Man of Steel.” I don’t mind mediocre CGI if the movie is good enough to compensate for it and After Earth is that kind of movie. The character development and the story were enough to make me forgive the sometimes unconvincing creatures. I will say this, while Man of Steel had incredible effects, I was still bored during the epic fight scenes. If you can’t invest in the characters then how can you feel anything when they are in peril.

In this age of overly complicated plots/storylines where the villains have to trick the good guy into doing something that they can easily do themselves. Then the villain gets captured on purpose as part of his plan. All leading up to a predictable Shyamalan-ish plot twist at the end. It’s refreshing to see a movie like After Earth where the characters get to shine and the events happening around them takes a back seat to their growth. Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek into darkness, and Iron Man 3 are all movies that misled the audience just to incorporate an “awww crap moment” at the end. DKR actually had two plot twists at the end. So it’s nice to see Shyamalan abandon this tired concept that he was dependent upon in his earlier films.

At the end of the day, After Earth is a good film that is more than worthy of your time. What it lacks in explosions and ridiculous set pieces, it more than makes up for in character development and story.
  80. Jun 18, 2013
    I wanted to see this because Will Smith and his son was in it. But when I heard M. Night was directing this, I began doubting whether or not it would be good. I was hoping for a adventurous, sci-fi, father and son epic, but instead I came out losing respect for M. Night as a director. This "movie" is EXTREMELY BORING.
    While you wait for the exciting parts of the movie to come the movie
    ends. Why? BECAUSE THERE ARE NO EXCITING PARTS. This was such a waste of money. Expand
  81. Jun 18, 2013
    It wasn't that bad a movie. Would have been 80% better if there was a better actor then Jaden Smith. He just is not a good actor and that took away for the film...
  82. Jun 18, 2013
    I wonder why this movie was so unfavourably viewed. So what if Will Smith is trying to promote his son? What does that have to do with how good the movie is? Seriously, people! My full review is here: http://bit.ly/128SBeU
  83. Jun 17, 2013
    Uneventful. Bad storyline. Jaden kept on crying like a baby. Will smith stayed in his place falling asleep and waking up. I hoped it would have a climax or a nice resolution but nothing.
  84. Jun 16, 2013
    Really good movie, a great mix of sci-fi and adventure. I like the relationship between Will Smith and Jaden Smith. I liked the story and the direct of Shyamalan, ok the movie have his fault, but is entertainment and works well for me.
  85. Jun 16, 2013
    Despite my love for Shyamalan movies, I did not expect to like this movie based on the trailers. This movie provided everything a good scifi/action movie should, great special effects, a plausible and exciting plot, a few scary moments and decent (if not great) acting. Jaden Smith is young and his acting is held up by his dad's but I didn't find it took much away from the movie. There won't be any Oscars here but this movie is great summer entertainment. I highly recommend it. Expand
  86. Jun 16, 2013
    Although this movie is not offensive in any way; it is simply bad. From the stage decoration to the costumes to the plot and the characters there's not a lot to recommend it. I know folks are trying to be gentle on Will Smith and his young son they seem like nice people. However, the son was not ready to hold this movie. He is really pretty terrible in this. I wish him all the luck in future endeavors. Do not waste your money or time. Expand
  87. Jun 16, 2013
    Watched this film last night expecting to be disappointed. I was out voted by wife and kids(aged 17 13). I wanted to go for Man of steel after reading the reviews on this sight. Thankfully I was in for a I big surprise. What a great film exciting in parts, suspenseful in parts and funny in parts. Well put together great special effects. A great choice for a family trip to the movies. Recommend to all. Expand
  88. Jun 16, 2013
    A very straightforward movie but i enjoyed it much compared to oblivion.

The way it was phrased by Will Smith, "Everything has evolved to kill human", i was hoping for more in the way of obstacles.

Definitely a rise for M Night from his previous movie.
  89. Jun 15, 2013
    Great movie. It is science fiction but its first of all its about father & son love. Maybe that`s the reason why so many critics didn`t understand this movie. If you are a father or a son you will cry at the end and maybe few times more. Great visuals, great story, good action and little thrill. Don`t listen to anybody just go and enjoy it. I love this movie..
  90. ojt
    Jun 14, 2013
    After Earth is not only boring and uninteresting even for sci-fi fans. It alsa has a lame story and surprisingly bad acting by 2xSmith. I expect that Harald Zwart got the best out of Jaden in Karate Kid, but Shyamalan has no clue how to instruct this boy into anything other than a spoiled and irritating brat.
    It's a bad idea, the cgi is bad compared to most other I've seen, and what's
    worst is that it's impossible to care about the guys in the film. Expand
  91. Jun 14, 2013
    I liked it, maybe when I saw it my suspension of disbelief was at a high point, so I ignored all the things that made this movie terrible for everyone else, I don't know, but I was entertained.
  92. Jun 13, 2013
    Be warned that this is a rather slow-paced film but if you can stick it out it's still a good movie with a satisfying end. Both the Smith's play their roles well despite Jaden not being the most likable of actors and playing somewhat of a weak lead character. Perhaps it could have done with a few more characters because most of the focus is on the two of them, but it held my interest and I wanted to see how it ended up. Overall I can see why a lot haven't liked it, but I thought it was good. Expand
  93. Jun 12, 2013
    The worst movie since a long time. This is not for Will Smith but for the most part on the director and the bad acting of Smith's pupil.
    Something should not be allowed in the cinema. I wonder who controls the quality of the films.
  94. Jun 10, 2013
    I haven't seen most of Jaden Smith's movies, but here, it seems he can't act at all. Thin plot, and we don't much care if Jaden makes it or not. The best thing about the movie was the scenes shot in the Northern California redwood forests. I think The Sixth Sense may be the only film M. Knight would have us remember. This one was ANOTHER bust.
  95. Jun 10, 2013
    I think M. Night gets unfairly abused by critics many times, but this was not one of them. While the movie's themes are very good, the film is questionable at best. The heart of the film is a father's love for his son made manifest by forcing the son to become his own man not by coddling or insisting on an identical path, but literally kicking him out of the nest (ship) to find his own way with just enough aid not to get killed. I don't think this is a very common parenting style these days, but I respect the Fresh Prince for taking it to screen.

However, this movie was not the best vehicle for it. The science is bad enough to kill suspension of disbelief and the set pieces are just this side of 1960's French Sci-Fi (i.e. weird, incongruous with the implied technology, and already dated). The most glaring bit of weirdness is the idea that an old-growth forest can be flash-frozen every few hours without permanent cellular damage...it doesn't make a lot of sense, and neither does a lot of the "science" elements in this film (like turbulence in space).

Perhaps a present-time marooning would be a better vehicle? Or a slightly-improved attention to details which Sci-Fi fans normally obsess over? Or...and I am going out on a limb here...maybe a different planet? The fact that it is earth does nothing for the movie.

In summary not a good movie. As always, M. Night does a good job filming and pacing, but there are just too many other mistakes to overlook.
  96. Jun 9, 2013
    The danger is real, but fear is a choice, a choice I think everybody will embrace when seeing this movie. It is scary how bad this movie ended up being. Call me whatever, but I liked Signs, and I didn´t thought The Happening was as bad as many do believe it is, but this, this is horrible. M.Night Shymalan took an interesting concept with tons of potential, and made it incredibly monotone and boring. This is supposed to be a fun movie full of chases and adrenaline, but instead, despite the movie´s recall to "everything in this planet has evolved to kill humans" we barely see any real danger, and when it finally comes it is resolved with such simplicity that it ever really reaches true excitement. From a character and story standpoint the movie also flatters and in a big time. Will Smith is one the most charismatic actors in the industry, but his character in After Earth is as bland as possible and barely makes appearances. So in the end its all about the boy, who unfortunately lacks the talent o his father. His not bad to an unbearable point, but his not good enough either to carry such a movie on his shoulders. So at the end, we are left with a bland story driven by bland characters in a bland planet as a whole which doesn´t look all that good either, because yes, the CGI is also kind of bad. Expand
  97. Jun 9, 2013
    Once again I find my opinions are at odds with those of the world's most acclaimed movie critics. Perhaps young Smith couldn't carry this entire movie but that is far from the point.

This is a unique and refreshing take on the bond between father and son. The plot is simple and the movie concludes in a somewhat predictable ending but the journey there is the real difference in After
    Earth. Those expecting a Sixth Sense esq twist look away. This really is a feel good movie with interesting ideas, great visuals and a huge focus on the strengths and weaknesses of a boy trying to live up to his fathers expectations.

Excellent acting by Will Smith and a memorable performance by Jaden, on the start of what will certainly be a successful career. Those expecting to see a 15 year old able to replace his father should modify their expectations to reality. No Jaden isn't Will but he his a talented young actor with plenty of promise able to deliver in a big role.
  98. Jun 8, 2013
    It's a really boring movie. It looks cheap right from the beginning and you feel the word "cheap" and "low budget" during all movie. There are many things you don't understand from the screenplay. How come a child can run away from a dozen angry baboon monkeys, etc.? Low budget gives terrible pictures of the animals around. I would give this movie 3 out of 10 or C Although my 12-y.o. said it's OK. Expand
  99. Jun 8, 2013
    This is one of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. It appears to me the goal of the entire movie is to dehumanize humanity through controlling the mind. However, what you find is Will Smith's supposed lack of fear appears in the film to look like lack of human emotion coming across as horrible acting (which you don't expect from Will Smith). And the goal is to teach his son that same thing. Humanity without emotion is not human at all. Then, the condition of the earth come on... it doesn't make sense accurate history is required to build a background and this doesn't appear to have that. Then the storyline is not even very good on top of that. I expected more action but instead got a movie similar to "Cast Away" with Jaden Smith as Tom Hanks and Will Smith as "Wilson" (the ball), but without the wit or humor of Tom Hanks. It's not worth your money or time. Expand
  100. Jun 7, 2013
    Like many, I expected this movie to be mediocre at best. However, in my opinion, this film was better than expected for sure. Apart from the cliches and the slightly kid's moments (even though this movie is mostly meant for father and son in the first place), it contained the right amount of action and adventure. The moderate scares made me flinch for half a second, but they were partially necessary for the events and not a bad thing to have for sure. Overall, I believe that this movie is underrated a bit, even though I can tell where the unfavorable ratings are based off of. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.