4.2

1. Feb 24, 2014
    I must admit the reviews did prevent me from watching this movie sooner. I am glad I did. This movie has vision, a must see for anyone who has imagination of what the future can hold. I must assume that people who give this movie a 0 or a 1, are just not sci-fi people and should just stick with watching Breaking Bad. They say Smith's acting was bad, on the contrary he played his part well, he is suppose to be emotionless. You have to try to put yourself in the future folks, and understand what is going on. You have to pay attention to a sci-fi. They say the story is thin. Does every movie have to have a story that is all over the place. This is a survival, adventure sci-fi. rate it as such, and do not review it if you do not like those types of movies. Stick to your dramas and don't rate this as one. Good job, need more movies with visions of the future. Expand
  2. Feb 1, 2014
    I liked it,great efforts of all sides great visual effects and the Smiths were very good...i felt that the fatherhood was present between Will Smith and Jaden Smith...i say it is a good movie to watch.
  3. Jan 31, 2014
    Really good film. It has elements to it that actually made me talk to the screen, I love this film. A few parts of the film make me think its a bit far fetched but apart from that I love it!
  4. Jan 30, 2014
    I watched this movie last night and wasn't expecting much out of it cause all the crappy reviews it had. Well I think those reviews are a lot more harsh than needed to be. Sure there were flaws in this movie but overall it was a pretty solid movie. It was entertaining, suspenseful, and overall a story of some father son relationships can be. I liked the story even though it could use more detail but I've seen a lot worse movies than this. I recommend, this movie to anyone interested in a good movie. Expand
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    Im not understanding why people didnt like this one. Not only is it an action/sci-fi that is both entertaining and family friendly, but it teaches some very good lessons about fatherhood within military life. As someone who grew up in the military, maybe I was just more able to relate to these nuances than some, but I thought they did an excellent job of making us think about everything from parenthood to the environment. While they dont hammer the environmental theme like you would expect, the truth is it paints a very realistic and dare I say probable future for earth if humanity doesn't get it together sooner.

I love will smith movies because be doesn't need to make excessive use of profanity and senseless violence to draw audiences. People can hate on his sons acting but the dude is a teenager. If you are comparing him to his father or other seasoned actors, you are an amateur film critic.
  6. Nov 17, 2013
    One of the better sci-fi movies I've watched in a long time. I loved watching it and was constantly wondering what was around the next corner. It kept me on the edge of my seat. It's also really cool to watch both Jaden and Will smith together in the movie. They work well with each other. I really enjoyed this film, but there are some issues throughout. Acting is kind of awkward at times by all of the cast. Whether it is the weird accents or the overly-serious Will Smith, something is a little off in the acting department, but overall they still do a good job. There are also some duds in the dialog. A section where Will Smith describes to his son when he lost the ability to afraid ends up being overly cheesy thanks to some goofy lines. These flaws do hurt the film, but only a little. All of the issues end up fading away when faced with the more emotional or intense moments. All I have left to say is that I highly enjoyed this movie and recommend it. It's a movie that manages to overcome its flaws and create an experience unlike any science fiction movie I've seen before. Expand
  7. Oct 20, 2013
    I like when sci-fi movies transport me in a credible future and this one did it. I don't get why peoples are so negative. For me it's 10 times better than the last "sanitized style" Star Trek where everything is polished and shiny. This one is more "raw" and credible even if there is "creatures". The kid acted nicely and Will too. For those who complain that he was "empty", it was his character so he did a good job. Great movie. Expand
  8. Oct 13, 2013
    I'll keep it short, I almost missed a good movie because of poor reviews, but after watching this movie I was satisfied and felt moved enough to come and write a review to counter the critics. Don't miss this movie because of negative critics, there is a lot of classic and worthwhile films that got poor reviews at the time of release, but are now considered to be cult classics.
    Bottom
    line: entertaining fable, with a emotional moral to the story worth watching. Expand
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    If theres one thing I learned from my father is: if the critics hated it, watch it! You're probably gonna live it! And guess what? I really liked this movie. It presented nice futuristics possibilities, and a good father son story. The philosophy of the movie is also very good. I couldnt understand why critics hated it so much, but anyway, what do critics know? The movie was a very good piece of work. Nice jobs guys! Expand
  10. Sep 18, 2013
    Hi there,

Rating this movie a 10 to try and balance the negative reviews here.
    Just watched it and I find it very entertaining. Before watching it I saw reviews on IMDB saying the acting was off and Jaden doesn't have a talented bone in his body. I find this to be complete nonsense.
    The acting was good. And there are some very emotional parts in the movie that I found touching.

Very good performance and very good movie.
    If you came here for a review you should definitely watch it for yourself.
  11. Jul 31, 2013
    All the new space movies lack depth however compared to oblivion this one is a lot more engaging and easy to follow ...I think jayden smith acting for a kid was awesomeness ...he is pretty much main and only character ....but can't give the highest score because film lacks depth and details .but great acting
  12. Jul 26, 2013
    more and more it seems as if sixth sense was an anomaly
    and jaden smith couldn't act his way out of a paper bag
    this was disappointing but not unexpected
  13. Jun 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. After Earth is a positive story about father and son. The story leads the viewer into the life of the son who is trying hard to please his father. The son looks to his father for approval but fails to measure up.
    During a trip the two are stranded and it is up to the son to save them both. See this movie because the message is more important than the great special effects.
    See this movie because no one should have you skip a movie that just might help you personally.
  14. Jun 19, 2013
    My brother tells me that he actually liked After Earth. So reluctantly, I sat down and watched it. After seeing the movie here is my opinion. The critics are either wrong or they have an agenda. After Earth is a good movie. The performances by both Will and Jaden Smith are great. The movie has a strong and positive theme. The story flows from beginning to end, and I felt connected to the characters and their struggle throughout the film.

After Earth is the classic tale of the young warrior’s journey, both physically and spiritually. It has a very African feel to it, from the set designs, to their strange accents, to their names, to the creatures that young Kitai faces. Unlike much of the pointless trash that comes out of Hollywood these days, After Earth is a morality tale, akin to Star Wars. The hero needs to learn to overcome his faults in order to succeed. There’s also an emphasis on the roles of parents in the film.

Will Smith’s Cypher Raige is a compelling character. Many critics have complained about Will Smith’s performance in this film, calling it “wooden,” because he didn't run around yelling catchy lines like, “it’s raining black folks!” But I think this is one of his best performances in recent years.

In After Earth Will Smith has to play a man who is emotional, but can’t connect with others. He’s the flawed hero. His flaw makes him a powerful warrior but a distant father. He spends more time on the battlefield than with his family. Will smith did an excellent job of portraying this inner turmoil in a very nuanced performance. You constantly see the struggle in his eyes. He wants to connect with his son but just doesn't know how to. At the start of his son’s quest he addresses his son mainly by rank, cadet. But as the story progresses and Kitai encounters escalating danger, Cypher breaks down slightly and starts addressing Kitai as son. You can see the concern and fear of losing his son that he’s keeping in check.

Jaden Smith’s character Kitai Raige is the complete opposite of his father. His emotions are always raw and apparent. He can’t contain his emotions or even control them. You quickly understand why these two characters would have trouble connecting with each other. Criticisms of Jaden’s performance have been overly harsh. He’s not at his father’s level as an actor yet, but he did an admiral job of carrying the bulk of this film. You root for his success and you want him to overcome his fears.

The CGI in After Earth is good enough to get by but no where near the level of “Man of Steel.” I don’t mind mediocre CGI if the movie is good enough to compensate for it and After Earth is that kind of movie. The character development and the story were enough to make me forgive the sometimes unconvincing creatures. I will say this, while Man of Steel had incredible effects, I was still bored during the epic fight scenes. If you can’t invest in the characters then how can you feel anything when they are in peril.

In this age of overly complicated plots/storylines where the villains have to trick the good guy into doing something that they can easily do themselves. Then the villain gets captured on purpose as part of his plan. All leading up to a predictable Shyamalan-ish plot twist at the end. It’s refreshing to see a movie like After Earth where the characters get to shine and the events happening around them takes a back seat to their growth. Dark Knight Rises, Star Trek into darkness, and Iron Man 3 are all movies that misled the audience just to incorporate an “awww crap moment” at the end. DKR actually had two plot twists at the end. So it’s nice to see Shyamalan abandon this tired concept that he was dependent upon in his earlier films.

At the end of the day, After Earth is a good film that is more than worthy of your time. What it lacks in explosions and ridiculous set pieces, it more than makes up for in character development and story.
  15. Jun 16, 2013
    Despite my love for Shyamalan movies, I did not expect to like this movie based on the trailers. This movie provided everything a good scifi/action movie should, great special effects, a plausible and exciting plot, a few scary moments and decent (if not great) acting. Jaden Smith is young and his acting is held up by his dad's but I didn't find it took much away from the movie. There won't be any Oscars here but this movie is great summer entertainment. I highly recommend it. Expand
  16. Jun 16, 2013
    Watched this film last night expecting to be disappointed. I was out voted by wife and kids(aged 17 13). I wanted to go for Man of steel after reading the reviews on this sight. Thankfully I was in for a I big surprise. What a great film exciting in parts, suspenseful in parts and funny in parts. Well put together great special effects. A great choice for a family trip to the movies. Recommend to all. Expand
  17. Jun 15, 2013
    Great movie. It is science fiction but its first of all its about father & son love. Maybe that`s the reason why so many critics didn`t understand this movie. If you are a father or a son you will cry at the end and maybe few times more. Great visuals, great story, good action and little thrill. Don`t listen to anybody just go and enjoy it. I love this movie..
  18. Jun 3, 2013
    Great movie WIll and his son did a greate job. At first i wasent sold on jaden but as time went by in the movie he did a good job. He will grow up to be a great actor one day. Maybe you have to have a teenage boy to relate.
  19. Jun 2, 2013
    Six of us went expecting to be disappointed after reading critic reviews. Imagine our surprise when we all left, loving the movie! Many critic's reviews are mean spirited. I think the critics were specifically looking for anything wrong with the movie because M Knight Shamalan was involved. He has created a lot of "stinkers" lately. This is not one. I also think the nasty comments about Jaden were unwarranted. He did a great job. Many reviews compared him to his father. Not fair. I've enjoyed Jaden's performances in his other movies. Some critics complained that they wanted more specific explanation about some of the Sci fi elements. I say it's science "fiction". Use your imagination. We came up with all kinds of fun, interesting plausible explanations on the way home. If you haven't planned on going because of the critic reviews, keep an open mind and go anyway. This is not Cowboys VS Aliens. Now that was a stinker! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.