4.2

1. Jun 28, 2014
    What happened to M.Night after the The Village? The acting is bad and the plot is lacking potential. Infact Will Smith's facial expression was how I felt throughout this whole movie. I really hate to say this but Will Smith **** up this movie and the screenplay is terrible.
  2. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was sort of slow paced and boring, it lacked interesting action, and had some bad acting. It was an O.K. movie it had some action and an O.K. storyline. But what do you expect, any movie by
    M. Night Shyamalan will probably be pretty bad or dumb.
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    After Earth was expected to be bad by me because of M. Night Shamylan's directing ability. The Sixth Sense was great, Unbreakable was really good, Signs was good, The Village was OK, the Happening was terrible, and this movie is even worse. They took Will Smith and **** on his acting abilities. He was downright awful and he was a huge miscast.
  4. May 19, 2014
    M. Night Shayamalan has once again produced another thumbs down movie that no one should scene. This film fails to offer anything interesting in terms of characters or story. The most I can say for this movie is that it has some nice effects and cool technology. This movie is an hour and a half of nothing and somehow takes an intriguing premise and fails to anything remotely interesting with it. Please do yourself a favor and don’t waste your time watching this movie. Expand
  5. Apr 11, 2014
    Although this is a very (unintentionally) funny movie, I decided I wouldn't rate it a 8/8 since I feel like Metacritic is a bit more serious than IMDB when it comes it movies. Anyway After Earth is a movie filled with plot-holes, horrible acting, technical errors, awkward accents, and Moby Dick. Moby Dick....... Why is Moby Dick even a thing in this movie? I'm sure it COULD HAVE been a subtle reminder of Jaden and Will's family but good lord M. Night you didn't have to shove in our faces as much as you did. Anyway the accents are funny, the acting is goofy, the technical errors are noticable, and Moby Dick is completely unnecessary. Expand
  6. Mar 26, 2014
    Smith wanted everyone to know that he basically directed this and Shyamalan was more or less the cameraman - I bet he wished he could take that back...
  7. Mar 8, 2014
    This boring movie is filled with conflicting messages. The father tells the son to conquer his fear and not to be emotional, and yet we tend to have this father-and-son bond relationship. So ultimately, what are we rooting for? Are we supposed to care about their relationship if they're both unemotional? Goddamn, it's so badly-written.
  8. Feb 17, 2014
    I watched 15 minutes of this, which was all I could stand. Nepotism has already been mentioned in these reviews and I can only agree. The lack of emotion from Will and Jaden was difficult to watch. Perhaps Jaden has a future as an actor but he needs to attend a decent acting school. At the time this movie was made his acting skill was dreadful and it exposed his lack of talent. It takes more than an attractive face to be a successful actor.

I think his Dad is blinded by the deep affection he has for both his children.
  9. Feb 14, 2014
    The only thing raising this turkey above zero is the fact that, as far as I could tell, there weren`t any microphones poking into any shots or any sets collapsing in the background. The movie is so bad I just stopped watching and went to bed about 2/3 of the way in, which is rare.
    I never really liked Smith. He has goofy and some weird tough guy act which makes him look as if he`s being
    zapped with a cattle prod, and if you don`t like those he`s out. But his son is worse. Ranging between whining about his father and crying to tantrums, his most regular appearance is of a dull boy who has just been shot in the ass with a tranquilizer gun. Fortunately he is so bad that in a lame attempt to hide this fact he doesn`t have any lines in a lot of scenes, but just stands there nodding or repeating the other actor`s lines, like some slow kid who has been brought up in front of the class to be mocked and ridiculed. It would be funny if it wasn`t so unbearably sanctimonious.
    I suppose we could admire Smith JR for trying to lead a movie right in the middle of his awkward phase, sporting his freshly shaved 14 hair mustache look; but personally I`m not sure I`d have hired him to play a cow in a primary school nativity play. He constantly has this weird, annoying grimace on, which I didn`t realize was supposed to convey fear until I read reviews online after suffering through the movie, And this leads us the the "message" in this awful turkey, which is that fear is bad and that you can`t kill space bugs when you`re afraid.
    Detailing all the weird plot holes in After Earth is an entire study in itself, and due to my profound lack of interest in the movie I probably missed a few, but here goes anyway: First of all humans in the movie are able to build inter stellar space craft but apparently not guns of any kind, which is presumably why they are being hunted by blind bugs. In the movie`s only promising moment Will Smith gets sucked out of a crashing space ship far above the canopy of the forest, and for a second you are tricked into believing that the director has just killed off his overpaid, overrated Hollywood degenerate 15 minutes into the movie, leaving his untalented son to lead the movie by himself, as a sort of girlish, black Tom Hanks Castaway in space. But then he miraculously reappears on the ground almost immediately; unconscious and with two broken legs, but exactly as robotic and dull as before. Then the most comical parts of the movie occur when the incapable son is sent to retrieve a transmitter from the tail of the vehicle, which crashed where Will Smith`s corpse should probably have landed. According to the lifeless Will Smith night time brings intense cold which ravages the land so that any humans caught outdoors will instantly freeze to death, even though every single stinking scene in the movie is set in lush forest surroundings. So the question is: if the cold will kill Will`s brain damaged son instantly, how come all the trees still have leaves on and baboons can live there because it`s so nice and warm?
    Never mind this nonsense though because the solution to this weird problem is "hot zones" at regular intervals between the ship from which the immobilized Will Smith is directing his comatose progeny and the tail to which said son must travel. As long as he reaches a "hot zone" every evening before the harmless cold kills him he`ll be all fine and dandy. How convenient! How a grown man could have written such awful trash is a mystery, as is how he might then have been able to convince another grown man to direct it for him, dragging their names and the names of all associated with them into the mud.
    Every aspect of this movie, short of some of the special effects and I guess pretty shots of forest (the one not having been killed by the intense cold I mentioned), is absolutely horrible. I would rather download old episodes of Lost in Space from the mid 60s than watch After Earth again, special effects be damned! By far and away the worst movie of 2013 that I`m aware of. And Smith JR should go back to school at once.
  10. Feb 1, 2014
    Let's see. So the message is no there's no such thing as fear. Ok. think will take a dive in this tank of box jellyfish. Hey, that is an enlightening message since it means no more watching this crap...
  11. Jan 17, 2014
    Simply one of the worst movies of all time, After Earth is full of bland, dull, and simply boring acting, even with Will Smith one of the most charismatic actors in Hollywood, who is reduced into a dull, and shallow character, that you don't care about, and his son Jaden Smith, who has no talents at all, and his character is dumb, and annoying, and a lot of plot holes, that makes me lose all faith that M Night Shyamalan, the director behind the Sixth Sense, and Unbreakable will ever find his way once again. Expand
  12. Jan 1, 2014
    M. Night Shyamalan left his brain back at the film Signs. After Earth is an unpleasant movie with poor writing and acting, stuff that will make your eyes roll. Will Smith's character isn't inspirational, like he tries to be, and he comes off as monotone and mean. It's basically a failed motivational seminar.

F
  13. Dec 2, 2013
    This is terrible movie making at its finest. Confusing introduction, lack of character development and an incredibly bland storyline. They have the insane technology of colour-changing suits when danger is real around them... you'd think with such advanced technology, they would have at least a GPS system on them rather than having Kitai go on an unnecessary journey through the surprisingly bright wilderness. Just because humans are out of Earth's equation, does not mean animals and plants would just flourish like that especially since they implied humans literally up" the planet. The concept was unique... but like most cases, it was poorly executed. Expand
  14. Nov 24, 2013
    No suspense, forgettable action (at least the chase by the monkeys was funny), bad acting even from Will Smith (Jaden Smith frowns intensely to show he is afraid), a silly main idea (people do not choose their feelings from a menu), predictable ending (the kid suddenly transforms into a killing machine). There are very few visual effects and the science fiction elements are weak. The original main idea didn't include any aliens and it's evident: you could replace the monster with a grizzly bear, the spaceship with an airplane and the oxygen ratios with medicine and the plot would remain the same. Moreover the interior of the ship seems to be made of recyclable materials and after the crash there are long white things like toilet paper hanging from everywhere. Besides, why do humans in the future use blades instead of firearms? No wonder they get massacred by blind aliens!
    argonautis.eu
  15. Nov 22, 2013
    Just started watching this film and what's going on with the narrator? It sounds like an English guy doing an incredibly bad American accent, which wouldn't be quite as bad if his acting wasn't so terrible. Reminds me of the dumb kid who gets forced to read out to the class. Given up already.
  16. Nov 3, 2013
    Watched this with a mate of mine and we both thought it was truly terrible. Only surprise I had on checking meta critic was that the average was as high as it is.. Not even worth pirating.
  17. Oct 13, 2013
    This is the worst big budget movie, I have ever seen! There is nothing good about this movie! The acting is awful, there is no story, the effects are even bad!
  18. LTR
    Oct 12, 2013
    This is an okay movie.The father-son duo isn't as good as everyone thought.The world is pretty cool,some of the scenes were random and the end was pretty fast.
  19. Oct 11, 2013
    After Earth is one of those movies that you just know is going to be terrible. Will Smith and his son are terrible actors. The script for the movie sucks, it dosint make any sense. The motives for what they are doing dosint make any sense. The world, characters, and script of this movie suck, this is one of the worst movies ive ever seen. M. Night Shamalan is a terrible director. I fell asleep in the first 40 minutes of the movie. I say skip this movie you wont find anything redeeming from watching it. Expand
  20. Oct 10, 2013
    There really is only one word to describe this movie: Boring. While the film has some great visuals and special effects, it can't cover up how lifeless this sci-fi tale is and it DEFINITELY can't cover up how bad of an actor Jaden Smith is (luckily your dad is nice enough to give and pay for a career). Will Smith, normally a good actor, matches his son in the lifeless department and his failure is only multiplied when you realize this movie was almost ENTIRELY his baby. This is the one time you have an M. Night Shymalan movie where you can actually put the blame on someone OTHER than M. Night Shymalan. Expand
  21. Oct 10, 2013
    It was a big disappointment. Here has been impressive at times but most of the CGI is very weakly, there is nothing simple story twists and turns, and sometimes can even be flattened. Will Smith's worst movie theater I think.
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    Much worse than typical rich star's vanity piece. Total waste of time and money. How did Smith forget how to act? And the shame is such a big piece was wasted on this total lack of talent. His son might have some redeeming attributes but act is not one of them. Will- you're a has been and your son's a boring loser.
  23. Oct 4, 2013
    The combination of Hollywood nepotism and a quickly fading directorial star provides the backbone for the futuristic sci-fi lack-of-adventure yarn "After Earth."In just his second picture since 2008, Will Smith teams with fellow Philadelphian M. Night Shyamalan, who is working from a story written by Smith, and a script by Gary Whitta "The Book of Eli" (2010). The once-revered auteur has long since fallen from grace, to the extent that his name was notably absent from any of the film's advertising. However, "After Earth" has problems that go far deeper than Shyamalan's bland tone and lethargic pacing. The movie is rarely fascinating, incredibly pedestrian, and curiously unimaginative.

Shyamalan wastes no time commencing his narrative gimmick by announcing the rules of the story. It has been a thousand years since Earth self-destructed, ravaged by natural disasters and a deteriorating environmental infrastructure. The surviving humans evacuated the planet, settling on a new home known as Nova Prime. For 13-year-old Kitai (Jaden Smith), who is training to become a ranger like his often absent father, General Cypher Raige (Will Smith), he worries that he will let his dad down if he doesn't follow in his footsteps.

The elder Raige decides to bring him along on his last mission before he intends to retire. En route, a meteor shower damages the spacecraft, causing it to crash-land on the now-uninhabitable Earth. With the rest of the crew dead and Cypher badly injured, it is up to Kitai to travel 100 kilometers across the harsh and wild landscape to find the tail of the ship and retrieve the beacon that will send help their way. If he doesn't succeed, father and son will perish.

The special effects are adequate, but are noticeably fake compared to other effects-driven films like "Star Trek into Darkness" (2013) or "Oblivion" (2013). The film tries to tackle, on the most superficial level, the rites of passage. But with such a bland story and weak performances, the underlying meaning in the film only leads to indifference.

Jaden Smith, who was decent in "The Karate Kid" (2012), completely falls flat in his performance for this role. The complete lack of emotional range stifles any of the hopelessly unimaginative screenplay's contrived father/son drama. The elder Smith may have a story credit here, but "After Earth" is not only an obvious attempt to keep his son relevant, but it is also a by-the-numbers survival story that never manages to surprise or excite despite an endless array of possibilities.

"After Earth" feature's excessive CGI effects that rarely impresses, an A-list actor sitting on the sidelines, symbolism as obvious as the narrative is predictable, and is relentlessly uneventful. On a positive note for Mr. Smith, it's not nearly as bad as the completely forgettable "Wild Wild West" (1999).
  24. Oct 2, 2013
    As a sci-fi enthusiast I feel deeply disappointed. The story is predictable in 70% from the title alone, but after 5 min prologue, you know 90%. CGI is cheap and blending is terrible, sets look cheap, acting feels amateur and inconsistent... there is no world building except for this 5 min prologue and plot holes are so big you could fit Will Smith with his whole family inside them :P Why, oh why, was it let out of the editing room is beyond me. Worst movie of the year, one of the worst sci-fi pieces I've seen... Expand
  25. Oct 2, 2013
    Wow this was boooooooooring. I was expecting something like in the line of Starship Troopers with Will Smith in the main role and Jaden as sidekick (or something) running around chopping of those alien bugs Rambo style but instead I got his son running trough the jungle for an hour or so, I mean come on.
  26. Sep 27, 2013
    Another movie made attempting to relate to gamers. It failed. Not only it does not make any sense from the beginning to the end, it also lacks soul.

Maybe its target public is 8 year old kids.
  27. Sep 24, 2013
    The story is so goddamn thin you can sum it up in one sentence: Will & Jaden Smith crash on a planet, Jaden has to get to a beacon so they can get saved. That's it. Oh yeah, there is a very short intro to all this but it's incredibly superficial and trivial. Ok, so the film might not be as bad as they say, but this not how scifi is supposed to be. Today's movie technology alows directors to put anything on the screen they ever wanted and this is all they could come up with? These Hollywood folk are getting so lazy even the saturday night pop-corn munching audience is going to start noticing. In fact, they have noticed, coz nobody went out and saw it. And uh...M. Night Shyamalan, your jig's up. Start looking for another job. This was your last chance. Expand
  28. Sep 22, 2013
    This is absolute garbage. I was hoping this would at least be better than Resident Evil Retribution but my God, this is just a crime against your wallet. If you enjoyed this movie, liked its page on facebook and spoken about how you 'liked it' because of whatever ignorant, pathetic, childish reason you have then I will have to unfortunately send you off to the firing squad. The acting was mediocre, Jaden Smith is just not fit for a movie like this and the whole story is just plain-ass cliche', uninteresting, highly predictable and well, pretty much I was bored out of my mind watching this load of dung. You can pretty much just fast skip through the movie and jump scenes and you wont be missing out on anything at all. Just watch the intro, skip to the part where the ship crashes, skip to a random scene where Jaden is in some random encounter (there's tons in this movie) and skip to the predictable, lame-ass ending. Trust me, you wont be missing out on anything. This is not worth your purchase, your download bandwidth or your time. I'd rather be doing a uni assignment then watching this piece of Worst movie of the year and one of the worst movies Ive seen in a long while. I want my 90 minutes back. Expand
  29. Sep 21, 2013
    This move is a huge waste of money and time. Its dull and boring in 95% of its length. The movie tries you to bond with the characters but you just can't (there are 2 main characters that are basically the only 2 characters in the whole movie because there is total of 13 roles in this movie!!!). You can't bond with Cypher Raige (Will Smith) because he is emotionless so basically there is nothing to bond with, and you can't bond with Kitai Raige (Jaden Smith) because he is another movie kid that we need to be babysit and you have to listen to his life problems (although his role matures into something likable later in the plot). I have bonded more with an eagle-ish bird in the middle of the movie that any of the 2 main characters. The whole climate change on Earth is unrealistic and illogical, unsuitable for human life, but still suitable for everyone else, even the alien who survived the crash. And yes, I was about to give the movie rating 4, but because of the stupid popular idea that movies have to have 100 planets on the night sky on any alien planet, this movie gets a 3. Expand
  30. Sep 20, 2013
    Congratulations Jaden Smith for giving the audience the worst performance by and actor or actress this year so far. A dumb movie with acting that is embarrassing on all levels. Another garbage film from a director that is putting himself as the worst of our generation.

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Jun 7, 2013
    Despite the Smith family’s association with Scientology, which unmistakably informs this tale’s belief system (“Fear is a Choice”), as well as its shaky attempts at mythic patterning, it is in no way the laughable shambles that John Travolta’s infamous "Battlefield Earth" was.
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 7, 2013
    He's done it again. M Night Shyamalan has done it again. Again. Done it. Again. He has given us another film for which the only appropriate expression is stammering, gibbering wonder that anyone can keep making such uncompromisingly terrible movies with such stamina and dedication.
  3. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Jun 7, 2013
    Jaden Smith takes centre stage in a futuristic rites of passager that plays like an extended episode of The Twilight Zone. Although "Oblivion" narrowly remains this summer’s better ruined-Earth actioner.