5.9

1. Aug 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Not for those wanting cheap scary trills, a real original creepy thought provoking triller.
    A great movie, it's a pitty the so called critics in the US were more scared of an actress showing bit of skin than her great performance or the story, I think this film will earn Cult status.

-Slight spoiler: Even at the end I couldn't tell if he had or thought he had the gift to talk with the dead or was in fact a serial killer, only going through the extras did I get the answer.
  2. Mar 10, 2013
    This movie is schizophrenic in that it has no idea in what it is trying to accomplish. It tries to by mysterious, clever and though-provoking, but is really so contrived and awkward, that it is impossible to take seriously. Filled with plenty of plot holes, the plot is more like swiss cheese than a flowing narrative. It will obviously appeal to people who are as "clever and sophisticated" as the director. I actually felt bad for the actors as this movie tarnishes their careers. Expand
  3. Oct 31, 2012
    Ricci is perfect in this role; creepy goth girl as a school teacher. The use of color to convey temperature is well done. 'Feels' cold in all the right places!
  4. Mar 5, 2012
    Poor movie despite the interesting premise. Why Liam Neeson wasted his talent on this film is beyond me. The plot was illogical and the ending was so obvious I may as well have stopped watching about an hour into the movie.
  5. Mar 21, 2011
    One of the best movies of 2010. Sure it's flawed and yes there are plot holes, but for a small budget indie movie it packs a helluva a punch. The film has divided people... some hate it and some love it, but it stays in your head months after watching which you can't say for most of the rubbish remakes/comic book trash the studios are churning out. So give the film a bit of slack. open your mind and just sit back and enjoy the best mindf**k movie of the decade! Expand
  6. Feb 26, 2011
    It wasn't the very best movie I ever saw, but... Liam gives a chilling performance ( pun intended) Christina Ricci shows some serious acting skill, plus she's naked half the movie.
  7. Dec 11, 2010
    Avoid.this. Sad waste of acting talent. Ludicrous plot, no suspense, absurd pontificating about people living dead lives. The director may be better suited to be a mortician.
  8. Nov 25, 2010
    Do not go see this movie. The trailer to this movie looked good. this movie is so pointless. I love movies like this but this one was not good at all. It is a total waist of time. There are a lot of points in this movie that you expect something to happen but doesn't happen. I thought the movie was going end good but it didn't. I recommend you to do not see this movie.
  9. Oct 25, 2010
    This movie has it all. Good actors, effective music, nice, minimal effects, and a story that consistently holds your interest. i will be watching this directors work in the future (although I cannot pronounce the name) I like that it did not have the typical hollywood ending, it left it for the viewer to decide what really happened. Plus looking at Christina Ricci for an hour and a half is nearly always interesting. She's great. Definitely not a waste of a saturday night. Expand
  10. Sep 1, 2010
    Why do I get a feeling this film will become a cult classic? Maybe it's because of all the comments and intense discussions on boards like IMDB and others. Maybe because it's a film you either love or hate (and if you love it... you LOVE it!). Maybe because it's intelligent and thought-provoking. And maybe it's like no movie you've ever seen before. There's a retro feel about the movie that reminds me of Dario Argento of the old Hammer horror movies -- focusing more on performance and atmosphere rather than slick narrative. Highly recommend it if you're looking for something different and something you'll think about and want to talk about for the next month! Expand
  11. Aug 28, 2010
    Fantastic! Unique. Chilling. And very different from the dross that's been vomited up in theaters this year. The director took risks making this movie and most of them come through (although a couple don't, but hey that's what taking risks is all about). What works? The overall sense of dread and incredibly creepy atmosphere. I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout. The acting was superb, in particular Liam Neeson was excellent as the unsettling funeral director. A perfectly restrained and chilling performance. Expand

After.Life, with a pretentious point between the two words in the title for no explainable reason, is a horror film with a macabre style but few of the creepy chills of cheaper, cliché-riddled thrillers that are a dime a dozen these days.
    Whether or not she's alive is the question that's supposed to animate this ostensibly metaphysical horror movie, but thematic rigor mortis sets in long before the final reel.
  3. The only thing worse than bad horror is pretentiously bad horror. From title to finish, After.Life takes itself far more seriously than you will.