8.7

1. May 12, 2014
    Muy buena animacion , gran actitud del personaje. con tiene de todo para si no eres fan de las animaciones te lleve a una forma de disfrutrar este genero ,
  2. Jan 20, 2014
    Outstanding film. The best anime, still, that I have ever seen. Had the good fortune of seeing it on the big screen, back in the day, upon its theatrical release.
  3. Dec 24, 2013
    Katsuhiro Otomo co-wrote the screenplay of Akira and directed this 1988 adaptation of his much-loved 1980s-era manga (comic book); it was a huge production that paid off enormously. When it arrived in America, it became a cult classic and introduced Western audiences to anime (Japanese animation), a genre that remains popular to this day. Akira is extraordinarily dense and enormouslyKatsuhiro Otomo co-wrote the screenplay of Akira and directed this 1988 adaptation of his much-loved 1980s-era manga (comic book); it was a huge production that paid off enormously. When it arrived in America, it became a cult classic and introduced Western audiences to anime (Japanese animation), a genre that remains popular to this day. Akira is extraordinarily dense and enormously complicated, and things like story and characters tend to go out the window in favor of cosmic ideas and mysteries, bizarre imagery, and astounding levels of violence. It takes full advantage of the animated medium with its sheer imagination and intensity. Indeed, to attempt these same images in a live-action setting would have been far too expensive and disturbing. Time has not yet dulled the sheer impact of the work, though, and the level of detail, movement, and fluidity is still highly impressive. It's still essential viewing for anyone interested in the genre. Expand
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    I Hate Anime...

Being an Art student so many of my friends have lost out certain grades and criteria because of it, Now granted when i was a kid i enjoyed Pokemon and Dragonball Z, but growing up i became aware of it's goofy-ness, it's repetitive drawing style and overall unprovocative storylines. Now comes Akira, A Manga that apparently matured the way of storytelling the way Alan
    I Hate Anime...

Now comes Akira, A Manga that apparently matured the way of storytelling the way Alan Moore did with Comics.

Surprisingly though, many who can sit through this 2 hour adaptation of a 1000 page Manga, can luckily look forward to being treated like adults, as well as surprisingly VERY detailed anime (consisting of more than 160,000 cells of animation!).

Featuring a Neon Lit Tokyo as stunning as the look of "Blade Runner" this film is literally Eye Candy, every explosion looks detailed, every street corner has immense depth, every croweded place just looks decent.

The Story, though i will not say anything about it features everything you want to see in a Futuristic City, Crazy Vehicles, Militarized areas, Psychic powers. Throw that all in with the absolute most bastard Kid ever and all around you have something that can be proud to be called "Influential".

Final Verdict: It's not for everyone believe me when i say that, but those who can sit through it all may be pleasently surprised.
  5. May 12, 2013
    Don't judge my review just because I may like anime; I'm not too fond of the idea there are some good ones out there, but that asides the point, this movie is awesome. I do love these type of stories, a dystopian like future, and this one of my favorite visions. Usually when a person thinks about the future, they think of a Jetson like future most of the time, but this offers a dark notDon't judge my review just because I may like anime; I'm not too fond of the idea there are some good ones out there, but that asides the point, this movie is awesome. I do love these type of stories, a dystopian like future, and this one of my favorite visions. Usually when a person thinks about the future, they think of a Jetson like future most of the time, but this offers a dark not entirely advanced society. Of course this is a vision of Japan, maybe U.S and other countries may have more advanced technology, though that's highly unlikely. The characters in this story are fitting and unique, most of them at least. Only the main two I have the same are the main focus, and the rest aren't entirely important. With talk about story and characters, I may avoiding the main features that make this film famous, the animation. This is the first; that I can think of, anime movies that try to make the characters mouth match the words that the actors are saying. It does it well, but it also is a downfall because the English dub looks ridiculous because the characters clearly don't look like they are saying what they are saying. That aside the animation is simply great, although the argument is that the animation is somewhat dated, and I can agree with that. That said though, I say that it compliments the story more with its gritty like style. My last bit of praise is the soundtrack, my god this some of the best music I have heard from film, it's my absolute favorite score from any film. It builds up tensions, adds suspense, creates an atmosphere, and just make everything better. With all this praise there are some problems within this picture. There is some/ a lot of content missing from the original manga, and that can be a bit irritating at times knowing how great it was, but not everything could be stuffed into this 2 hour long film. Take note that this film was in motion even though the manga wasn't complete, so maybe the didn't know about the last chapter which happened to have the best parts in it, or maybe some of the best parts that would be great to see in film. Now it's about time to wrap this up, I think this is one of Japan's best films; not the best in fact maybe not even in a top 10, and I think this should be watched by anyone who wants to go into animation or just want to watch a variety of good films. Collapse
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    Akira is possibly the greatest animated movie of all time. It's a spectacular science fiction epic of inscrutable proportions. There are a lot of metaphors floating around in Akira and part of the fun is fathoming out the deeper meanings of everything. Or you could just sit back and enjoy the breathtaking animation or the intensely cool action scenes. Either way, Akira is a must see.
  7. Feb 4, 2013
    As good as or better than Miyazaki's films. The animation is great, but not as good as other anime films( partly because its somewhat old). Amazing story with one of the best endings to a film I've seen. Watch it.
  8. Nov 5, 2012
    If you do not like anime I promise you will like it after watching this movie. Most epic anime movie out there so far and I hope the rumors of making it a live action film are true.
    ~The Main Critic
  9. May 24, 2012
    It may not be your average violent movie, but Akira is the epidemy of Japanese animation. Not only it was the first anime to receive an R-rated version, but it shows how good an anime needs a lot of gore, a lot of bloodshed, and a lot of sex (or hentai/fanservice for that matter). I remembered watching Akira on the Sci-Fi Channel when they showed anime movies just the same as CartoonIt may not be your average violent movie, but Akira is the epidemy of Japanese animation. Not only it was the first anime to receive an R-rated version, but it shows how good an anime needs a lot of gore, a lot of bloodshed, and a lot of sex (or hentai/fanservice for that matter). I remembered watching Akira on the Sci-Fi Channel when they showed anime movies just the same as Cartoon Network did. But after almost 25 years, I could still think of movies that inspired the movie. From The Matrix to Johnny Mnemonic, and video games like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Slug, it shows no matter what it takes place in a virtual world of drugs, war crimes, and corruption, every time when there's an action scene, you can even pause and use slow motion on the explosions and mayhem. I think Adult Swim could be thinking on airing the movie on Toonami because when I heard the news that the block is coming to Adult Swim's Saturday (Sunday) anime block, fans and tweets are asking the same thing "when is Toonami coming back on TV?" It was no April Fool's joke and so they did. I hope Adult Swim could air this movie as soon as possible, TV-MA style! But bar none, Akira is a classic example of why we still and always love anime. Akira is one of the best anime movies before Ghost in the Shell and Ranma 1/2. Expand
  10. Apr 28, 2012
    Every detail is brilliant; the music, the art, the story, everything is beautiful. As with all anime, the English dub is appalling, but watched in the original Japanese, this epic sci-fi saga should indeed be regarded as one of the best films of all time.

1. Some kind of fever-dream masterpiece, easily the most breathtaking and kinetic anime ever made and one of the most eloquent films about atomic afterclap.
  2. One of the few unanimously acclaimed classics of Japanese animation.
  3. Violent as it is on the surface, Akira is tranquil at its core. The story's sanest characters plead for the wise use of mankind's frightening new powers, lending the whole film the feeling of a cautionary tale.