5.0

1. Feb 9, 2015
    As a long time fan of James Patterson's Alex Cross novels, I thought Morgan Freeman was the perfect choice to play Cross, and I loved Kiss The Girls. I was weary of a remake, especially one done by Tyler Perry, but to my surprise he was much better than expected, unfortunately, the film was not. Alex Cross has always been about beating criminals with his mind. The forensic psychologist isAs a long time fan of James Patterson's Alex Cross novels, I thought Morgan Freeman was the perfect choice to play Cross, and I loved Kiss The Girls. I was weary of a remake, especially one done by Tyler Perry, but to my surprise he was much better than expected, unfortunately, the film was not. Alex Cross has always been about beating criminals with his mind. The forensic psychologist is best known for his ability to out think rather than over power his opponents, but you'd never know it by watching this film. Alex Cross and his team are called in on a triple homicide, but the suspect had more on his mind then just his targets, and sets his sights on Cross and the team. There is a heavy focus right from the beginning on the bad guy, who we immediately see is Matthew Fox. To me this took all the mystery right out of the story, and instead of being a who done it, the film was about how to catch the bad guy. The writers didn't do that right either, as Alex Cross is blinded by rage and goes out guns blazing to fight and kill the assailant. While this may make for an exciting action film, it's not who or what Alex Cross is all about, and despite all the novels I've read, I felt like I didn't know the characters at all. Tyler Perry stars as Cross and shows that he's more than just a comedian dressed as an old woman. Perry was very intense and likeable, under different circumstances I would have really enjoyed his performance, but again, he wasn't playing the Alex Cross I know. He's paired with Lost's Matthew Fox, who has played the bad guy before. I love Fox as an actor, but he just doesn't have the look or temperament of a killer and wasn't very believable here. Alex Cross is one of my all time favorite characters, and the first time they put him on film, they did it right. The second time, wasn't one of Patterson's better stories, but still very well done. This time, Alex Cross has turned into John McLean, and while some people will love it, to me it just emphasized everything that is wrong with Hollywood today. Expand
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    What a good tyler perry movie . the bad part is this . Perry's comedies are just way too stupid and he always takes stupid comedy roles . finally Perry step up his game and choose a good role . Alex Cross movie is a great mystery movie . thats why i gave this movie 6/10 . Grade B-
  3. Mar 13, 2013
    I've never read any of the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson but if they're anything like this movie, they're not worth the time. Tyler Perry is a decent enough actor but I just couldn't buy him as Alex Cross. The rest of the cast was pretty mediocre in terms of acting ability. Matthew Fox played a believable sociopath but he was about the only plus character in the film. There wereI've never read any of the Alex Cross novels by James Patterson but if they're anything like this movie, they're not worth the time. Tyler Perry is a decent enough actor but I just couldn't buy him as Alex Cross. The rest of the cast was pretty mediocre in terms of acting ability. Matthew Fox played a believable sociopath but he was about the only plus character in the film. There were also far too many plot holes for the story to be interesting or believable. A movie that could've been emotional, dramatic, intense, and intriguing was none of the above. I also thought some of the cinematic effects were below par. Overall this was just a disappointing movie in general. Expand
  4. Oct 19, 2012
    For the first time Tyler Perry doesn
  5. Jun 4, 2013
    "As a devoted fan of the beloved book series by James Patterson. Alex Cross came as no surpise that it was actually somewhat thrilling. Tyler Perry was a little cheesy at times while Matthew Fox gives one of his best on screen performances of his career." B-
  6. Nov 17, 2012
    Tyler Perry should stick to directing rather than bieng in action films. Based on the book series gave Tyler Perry the worst opening week as an actor.
  7. Jun 6, 2015
    Convincing performances by both Tyler Perry and Matthew Fox prevent this otherwise generic action thriller from being a total bomb. If nothing else, Alex Cross served as a vehicle for Perry to prove his dramatic acting chops.
  8. Oct 22, 2012
    In a departure from his previous efforts, Tyler Perry tries his hand as an action star in "Alex Cross" with mixed results. Playing the title role, Perry gives a credible if unremarkable performance. Just like his previous performances in his own films in non-Medea roles, his acting lacks range, subtlety or depth. Rather than create a nuanced performance Perry indicates his character'sIn a departure from his previous efforts, Tyler Perry tries his hand as an action star in "Alex Cross" with mixed results. Playing the title role, Perry gives a credible if unremarkable performance. Just like his previous performances in his own films in non-Medea roles, his acting lacks range, subtlety or depth. Rather than create a nuanced performance Perry indicates his character's emotional state through obvious gestures such as nose flaring and tearing of the eyes. On the story front, "Alex Cross" is a generic buddy cop film with Edward Burns as his partner. As typical of buddy cop films they are an exercise in contrasts. Perry is the sensitive family man that's not afraid of showing his emotional side while Burns is the macho ladies man. Much of their exchanges involve banter along predictable lines. Perhaps the best thing about the movie is Matthew Fox as the main villain. A complete sociopath, his character is the perfect antagonist for the emotional Perry. For fans of action films, Perry's Cross might be a little too much in touch with his feminine side. Also, Perry, while a big guy, lacks the athleticism to make his more physical scenes interesting. This is the most evident in a climatic fight scene. It is shot in a very stylized way as if to hide Perry's lack of brawling skills.

With the exception of one particularly gruesome torture scene, the PG-13 rated "Alex Cross" is pretty tame for an action film. Tyler Perry fans aside, "Alex Cross" is best for video and only after other choices have been exhausted.
  9. Oct 21, 2012
    Alright, so... Alex Cross. Actually there is not much to say about this movie. There are a lot of pointless scenes, stupid dialogue and mistakes in this movie. Alex Cross is basically a detective story about talented detective who is trying to catch a murderer. That all. You wont be invested in this movie. Every few minutes I was looking at my clocks, painfully waiting for this film toAlright, so... Alex Cross. Actually there is not much to say about this movie. There are a lot of pointless scenes, stupid dialogue and mistakes in this movie. Alex Cross is basically a detective story about talented detective who is trying to catch a murderer. That all. You wont be invested in this movie. Every few minutes I was looking at my clocks, painfully waiting for this film to end. And all this boring scenes, they go on, and on, and on. Well, it's not the worst film of 2012, at least I don't think so - I haven't seen a lot of other movies. I don't expect much from Paranormal Activity, but the point is - Alex Cross is not good. It's not the worst movie you will ever see. It's simply below average. Collapse
  10. Feb 23, 2013
    Mathew Fox is the only reason I kept watching. He is the one bright spot in this cheesy acted, character undeveloped, predictable film. Far from the "Kiss The Girls" Dr. Cross!!

1. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Nov 25, 2012
    Miscast and underwritten, Alex Cross does not reinvent Tyler Perry, or James Patterson's character, or anything, really. The only appeal here is the sick kick of watching a franchise blow itself to bloody stumps.
  2. Reviewed by: Randy Cordova
    Oct 23, 2012
    Picture Alan Alda in the title role of "Dirty Harry," and you have a good idea why Tyler Perry playing a hard-edged cop in "Alex Cross" doesn't work. [19 Oct 2012]
  3. Reviewed by: Eric Hynes
    Oct 20, 2012
    There's not a moment in Alex Cross that doesn't function splendidly as comedy. Which means that for all his cool-cat preening and heroic soul-searching, Tyler Perry must have felt right at home.