Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: October 10, 2014
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 92 Ratings
Watch Now
Annoymous1Dec 13, 2014
It seemed like a terrible movie at first, and it was. The jokes were so cheesy and the slam-dunk humor was out of hand. Its ok for a family friendly movie. If you're expecting laughs, you'd better have a good sense of humor. This is just mediocre.
MattBrady99Apr 1, 2015
"Some days are just bad days, that's all. You have to experience sadness to know happiness, and I remind myself that not every day is going to be a good day, that's just the way it is!" - Quote from Dita Von Teese

The story is about a

The story is about a 11-year-old Alexander (Ed Oxenbould) as he experiences the most terrible and horrible day of his young life-a day that begins with gum stuck in his hair, followed by one calamity after another. But when Alexander tells his upbeat family about the misadventures of his disastrous day, he finds little sympathy and begins to wonder if bad things only happen to him. He soon learns that he's not alone when his mom (Jennifer Garner), dad (Steve Carell), brother (Dylan Minnette) and sister (Kerris Dorsey) all find themselves living through their own terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.

This movie is clearly not for me as I normally don't like these kind of films. I always try my best to avoid these kind of things has soon has possible. what's so annoying is when I see that cliche family smiling or looking like their been through a ruff day while something "really goofy" is happening in the background, straight away I know the movie is going to suck and this movie dose suck.

I'm so surprise to see Steve Carell in this, even when I sawed him in a much better film FoxCatcher, where it that film he give me a deep unsettled feeling inside of me, but in this he just plays the family dad that's perfect and the best of what he dose and all that rubbish. In this movie he just plays Steve Carell and nothing else really. It's rather interesting that Carell can pick these comedy movies and dark dramas as well. That shows how good of a actor he really is and it's always depressing when I see him in movies like this.

Ed Oxenbould who plays are main character (Alexander) and the kid dose fine in this movie, not a great performance more like a okay one. Alexander himself is a bit of jerk when you really break it down. Now you're probably thinking, "Matt how could you call the main character of the film who is just a little boy a jerk?". Now let me explain. You can already tell by the story and the trailer that Alexander is having a pretty awful day and his family at the first is having a great day. Happy has their are, Alexander doesn't like seeing his family happy and such, so he wishes for them to have the same awful day that he had, and they do and their smiles rub off their faces has cold misery glues to their face where their smiles where. And the family are not jerks or anything like that. They just happy of what there getting and this little brat had to ruin that for them by wishing something so awful on them. If I was having a bad day and I saw my family happy it will make me happy. Oh and I hate the fact that on the poster his smiling "Ha Ha everything is all good even in the future I have to deal with stress and other stuff. But who cares I'm happy and that matters".

Now It seem like I'm ranting over this movie and I kind of am, but the movie dose have it's good parts surprisingly like: There are some good slapstick humor in the movie and I like the family in this movie (Not Alexander)

Overall Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day is just a mediocre straight forward shallow movie. Kids and Family may enjoy it but I know I totally didn't.
VJamisonOct 19, 2014
Fun movie and fresh idea of something we all go through, bad days. The plot moved along with funny situations, yet, come-on, a scene with the dad bouncing his baby on his lap was raunchy! No one laughed and the kids hopefully didn't catch on.Fun movie and fresh idea of something we all go through, bad days. The plot moved along with funny situations, yet, come-on, a scene with the dad bouncing his baby on his lap was raunchy! No one laughed and the kids hopefully didn't catch on. The stripping cowboys at the end of the movie also bugged me. Disney needs to keep their movies kid friendly. Enough of our culture slipping into the toilet. Expand
notforbreakfastNov 1, 2014
Oh, honey, sweetie, I want to like you. But, why "Alexander", are you so bad and so 'meh' at the same time? Just...why? You need to be more cynical. It's good for the soul.
ledaumasOct 20, 2014
This movie made us laugh out loud with normal situations turning into humiliating fiascos one must recover from. It's a good fun, family movie, which is rare these days.
TotallyEpicHDNov 8, 2014
A great and funny family movie, with good morals involved too! I remember reading this book in school, and the nostalgia just poured in, although it is a 10-worded movie title.
CherryxldApr 11, 2015
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day es una película que resulta entretenida tanto para niños como para adultos.

Esta película logra enfocar su atmósfera en unos aspectos que resultan atractivos a pesar de que quizá no lo aparenten del todo, y, además, encaja bien como una película familiar sobre cosas de la vida en puntos más recurrentes, dando así, que este largometraje es un film sencillo, amigable, disfrutable y que sirve para pasar tiempo en familia.
Jim222001Nov 13, 2014
Alexander is a cute Diary of a Wimpy Kid like movie. But it's too short and everything that was funny was in the trailers. So the movie would have been better for me if it didn't have a rushed ending and if the trailers didn't spoil everything.
Slashstar314Oct 13, 2014
I think it does accomplish what it's supposed to do, it's a movie meant for the family and not for really anyone else who want to put a magnifying glass under how the movie will fit for your individual tastes, and it doesn't need to go anyI think it does accomplish what it's supposed to do, it's a movie meant for the family and not for really anyone else who want to put a magnifying glass under how the movie will fit for your individual tastes, and it doesn't need to go any farther than that, is it a movie that delivers for a trip with a family? I think so, the humor was interesting and had it's moments to have kids laugh in the theatre, there's a clear message inside of it that delivers for the movie, and the pacing was really good. If you're expecting to go solo and have the expectation that it has to deliver laughs left and right to be a good movie, then don't go. It's a charming adventure for the family, not for the critics who have their checklists ready to try looking for the doubts over the benefits. Expand
CrazyRobotOct 18, 2014
While the film didn't provide any outstanding laughs, it was still a fun movie that I enjoyed. If you're looking for a family friendly film that doesn't try to make laughs through stupid shock humor, give this a go.
IMAX500Oct 13, 2014
The movie was funny. But it was a little bit too long. Even at 81 minutes. Storyline was OK, Acting was good. Sound mixing was OK. There was bad words in this movie so maybe try not to let kids see this movie. But it is OK.
ECWJan 31, 2015
For me, "Alexander" is a good family comedy. An old fashioned movie similar to some of the classics of my childhood.
The lightness of this film it's crossed in the path to better reviews. However, if the general public is open to the silliness and just enjoy, it is still a funny comedy.
In fact, the comic nature emanating from Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner are sufficient to support the lightness of the film that would alienate the older audience and the fast pace of the film is enough to keep the little ones away from boredom and indifference.

However, the end it's just a complete disappointment. I think the correct word is corny.

In any case, "Alexander" achieves a certain integrity addressing family solidarity and portrays a "Terrible, horrible, Nothing Good, poorly Day" which sometimes families have to face. However, no matter how the day can get worse, there is always tomorrow, the next day, the next journey. And so, there is hope that the day can get better. The way this message is passed by Miguel Arteta is part of the reason I enjoyed this Disney work.
asjay12345Nov 2, 2014
I watched this movie at the cinema with my family, I thought it was a family friendly movie. The movie made me laugh out loud a few times. Steve Carell was the main attraction of the movie. I recommend waiting for this movie to be releasedI watched this movie at the cinema with my family, I thought it was a family friendly movie. The movie made me laugh out loud a few times. Steve Carell was the main attraction of the movie. I recommend waiting for this movie to be released on blu ray rather then watching it at the cinema. Expand
WJSAug 3, 2015
This is a cute movie, definitely made for tweens of which I'm not one. I don't think I even know any. Still it's mildly amusing, well cast and sort of fun.
DBPirate1129Jun 1, 2015
A much better film than I had expected it to be. The characters and acting are great---I really enjoyed the manic / wacky tone of the movie. It's definitely not for everyone but it's fun while it lasts even if it does feel a bit long.
horizonbtsFeb 2, 2015
Was a little disappointed as I expect a Steve Carell movie to make me LOL. Have found him witty and crafty in movies like "Crazy Stupid Love". Still an average flick, but wished I had waited for it on DVD instead of paying the movie price!
TheQuietGamerMay 30, 2015
There are plenty of funnier alternatives that preach less familiar morals, but it's a decent family movie that can make for a nice rental. The crazy scenarios are the highlights. The bigger the better. The smaller misadventures make forThere are plenty of funnier alternatives that preach less familiar morals, but it's a decent family movie that can make for a nice rental. The crazy scenarios are the highlights. The bigger the better. The smaller misadventures make for amusing bits, but ultimately end up not making as much of an impact. The whole things ends up bathed in a familiar series of morals.

The film seems dead set in telling us that no matter how bad the day is everything works out in the end so long as you have family by your side. We've heard this before. Thankfully the cast is entertaining and the jokes solid enough to keep things pretty enjoyable, if not particularly hilarious or impressive. Also just as a warning, just because this is a movie aimed at families doesn't mean it's entirely squeaky clean. There are a few jokes parents might not be entirely cool with. It does stay in the PG range though.

Overall it's a solid movie. Just not a particularly exciting one. It's decent enough to be worth a rental for a family movie night if there's nothing else going on. It succeeds at being a pretty entertaining film, but don't expect greatness.
Tss5078May 20, 2017
When something fresh and successful comes along, everyone wants a piece of it. Shortly following the films release, a number of copycats emerge and to be honest most of them are terrible. Maybe it's because we tend to compare it to theWhen something fresh and successful comes along, everyone wants a piece of it. Shortly following the films release, a number of copycats emerge and to be honest most of them are terrible. Maybe it's because we tend to compare it to the original or maybe it's because the scripts are rushed and just aren't that good. In any case, after the release of the Wimpy Kid series, we saw a lot of these family comedies, centering on the not so popular kids, and as expected, most of them were awful, with one notable exception. Alexander's bad day focuses on a young man whose birthday coincides with his first day of middle school, which doesn't go so well. After receiving no sympathy from his family, Alexander wishes that they all had their own bad day, and the results were hilarious. This isn't the typical PG family comedy you see from Disney, as it was quite raunchy for them and really pushes the boundary of that PG rating. Ed Oxenbould stars as Alexander and fits the role like a glove. Oxenbould looks and sounds kind of awkward, after all it is a strange age, but watching him gave the feeling that he's not all that unfamiliar with being unpopular. Possibly playing on real life experience, he rivals Alex Gordon with a performance that was not only believable, but it was also very funny. Another advantage this film has over the Wimpy Kid series is that the young cast has help from some of Hollywood's elite, as co-stars include Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner. The pair give a lot of support and the producers use them to break-up the middle school monotony that would has surely ensued. While not my usual genre, I loved the Wimpy kid series, but Alexander's bad day is more than an adequate alternative for those who are looking for something a little bit different. Expand
lukechristianscFeb 13, 2015
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day basically is a film is trying to send it's message, tell people is it's okay to have a bad days. Every actor in this movie is funny, Steve Carell is a like able and a hilariousAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day basically is a film is trying to send it's message, tell people is it's okay to have a bad days. Every actor in this movie is funny, Steve Carell is a like able and a hilarious actor and this movie he takes on a PG hilariously role. Jennifer Garner is a comedic charmer as Alex's mom. So far Ed Oxenbould, Dylan Minnette, Kerris Dorsey are good at playing their roles. Screenwriter Rob Lieber has made one of the best PG comedies of 2014. My Grade: B+ Expand
SuperJG123Oct 3, 2015
I still love your movie because it's replete with best climax of your acting. I will always be happy forever. I don't like being stupid or mad. I wished not to be asperges's syndrome. I don't want to hate people anymore. I am smart, funny,I still love your movie because it's replete with best climax of your acting. I will always be happy forever. I don't like being stupid or mad. I wished not to be asperges's syndrome. I don't want to hate people anymore. I am smart, funny, kind, and handsome. I will always be there for my friends. Especially you guys. Expand
moviecritic_Jul 29, 2015
Great movie, I watch this all time. It consists of a very horrible day happening to an 11-12 boy. He and his family have the WORST day ever. The movie is defiently worth watching. This and the 1st diary of a wimpy kid go well together in aGreat movie, I watch this all time. It consists of a very horrible day happening to an 11-12 boy. He and his family have the WORST day ever. The movie is defiently worth watching. This and the 1st diary of a wimpy kid go well together in a movie watching spree. Would recommend to everyone 8+ Expand
smiyamotOct 7, 2016
Just your basic Disney "family" movie that they have produced for 50 years or more. If you don't watch it through kid's eyes, you won't like it. The only thing that bothered me was the speech of the main character, Alexander. He talkedJust your basic Disney "family" movie that they have produced for 50 years or more. If you don't watch it through kid's eyes, you won't like it. The only thing that bothered me was the speech of the main character, Alexander. He talked like an old man with ill fitting dentures. Why? Expand
MonkiReviewsMay 28, 2017
It is a funny movie. The story follows people having the worst day, ever. This is of course a comedy, with most jokes being funny. It has actors that are good, but not great. It was very enjoyable.