4.8

1. Dec 16, 2010
    A few things stopped this from a zero ... Anthony hopkins voice, special effects, and a few character actors.

Colin Farrel is horrible, Angelina Jolie was horrible and miscast, and the directing/dialog was horrible One more saving grace... the budget was big enough to stop this from being worse.... watching that is but it might give Ishtar a run for most ridiculous $ spent for such a

One more saving grace... the budget was big enough to stop this from being worse.... watching that is but it might give Ishtar a run for most ridiculous $ spent for such a poor end product I want those hours back I wasted!!!!!!!!!
  2. Oct 14, 2011
    This is 1 of only 2 movies that I have started and refused to finish. The plot is dull, boring, and it drags, and by the time I hit 80% of the way through I realized that the only reason the Alexander character in this movie survived at all is because everybody else dies for him, including his horse. Alexander the Great my ass. More like Alexander the Mediocre.
  3. Nov 18, 2012
    Alexander, which fails in almost every way possible, bores its viewers to death and attempts to educate them through nullified narrative more than it does to entertain them.
  4. Jun 8, 2013
    I wish I could say I was able to overlook the film's many flaws and say that it's a half decent film, but that would be a lie. Is this film really that bad? Sadly, and unfortunately, yes. This is a bad film; the pacing is horrible, the editing is atrocious, the performances are overly dramatic, the battle sequences are mostly mindless, it's unnecessarily gory, the story itself isI wish I could say I was able to overlook the film's many flaws and say that it's a half decent film, but that would be a lie. Is this film really that bad? Sadly, and unfortunately, yes. This is a bad film; the pacing is horrible, the editing is atrocious, the performances are overly dramatic, the battle sequences are mostly mindless, it's unnecessarily gory, the story itself is unengaging, the direction is confused, and as far as historical biopics go this isn't one that all that accurate. All of these things combined with ambition could not save this film which is very sad and disappointing. The reason this film was so disappointing is because I believe this ensemble could have created THE biopic of Alexander the Great, instead we are left with this mess that makes us question the minds of those involved. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    Stone obviously didn't spend any time on this sh*t as Alexander goes down in history as the Alexander the Never Will Be Great Film. One of the worsts of the worsts.
  6. Oct 3, 2013
    Intriguing cast! However it's interesting to see how much can go wrong with an interesting part of history if the storytelling doesn't work. Sadly IMO this is one of Oliver Stones weakest movies. Really boring and it takes ages to get to a point.

1. Since the movie lacks a vision of what Alexander was really about as a man and a figure in history, it falls back all too frequently on movie spectacle.
    Alexander breaks the key rule that makes movies move: Show, don't tell.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    At best an honorable failure, an intelligent and ambitious picture that crucially lacks dramatic flair and emotional involvement.