4.8

1. Oct 4, 2011
    I found this movie to have great costume and action. I enjoyed watching the battle scene's the most. Very entertaining. I didn't like Colin Farrell in this movie and Angelina is just a terrible actress but I still liked the movie overall.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    It wasnt a bad film but it was just so confusing where they were trying to go with this that it ruins the film completely. The script was pretty bad but the acting was great and the action was good as well.
  3. Dec 16, 2010
    A few things stopped this from a zero ... Anthony hopkins voice, special effects, and a few character actors.

Colin Farrel is horrible, Angelina Jolie was horrible and miscast, and the directing/dialog was horrible

One more saving grace... the budget was big enough to stop this from being worse.... watching that is but it might give Ishtar a run for most ridiculous $ spent for such a
    poor end product I want those hours back I wasted!!!!!!!!! Expand
  4. Oct 14, 2011
    This is 1 of only 2 movies that I have started and refused to finish. The plot is dull, boring, and it drags, and by the time I hit 80% of the way through I realized that the only reason the Alexander character in this movie survived at all is because everybody else dies for him, including his horse. Alexander the Great my ass. More like Alexander the Mediocre.
  5. Jan 9, 2012
    The film had a pretty decent start. It was somewhat intriging, the relationship between Alexander and his father was interesting and being a huge history fanatic myself I learnt some new things. The battle of Guagamela was also really nice to look at but no where as epic as other battles like Troy, Lord of the Rings etc. After the first hour it really started to drag on but I did watch the whole and I don't think I'll ever watch it again the second time due to its long running time.
    I think the reason why the film was so boring was because there was not much memorable moments that refreshed the experience and I found the character of Alexander's mother difficult to understand. So I guess you could say the characters aren't really defined so its boring to watch after the 1st hour but I thought it was a solid film when I first and only watched it. Slightly above average.
  6. Jun 12, 2011
    Wonderful movie that describes perfectly the different faces of Alexander's personality. No important fact is left aside, but still you have the time to think and elaborate your own interpretation about what happens. I think this is the best solution for a hystorical movie, because hystorically speaking there are lots of different traditions and you can't choose one over the other that easily.
  7. Jan 14, 2012
    This is an amazing video. Colin F makes a great job at portraying Alexander. This is how a historical movie should be made. Accuracy neatly balanced with entertainment value.

Also an answer to the reviewer called "Christo": For someone who supposedly studied Alexander for 2 years, you have very little knowledge of Alexander and the times he lived in. This is a laugh: "You must understand
    that during those times, a person who loved men and women was respected greatly because he/she loved each and every single one of God's children.". God's children? Since neither Christianity or Islam had been even founded, I suppose you are either claiming that all Greeks including Alexander were, what...? Jewish? Polytheism ruled back then. There would be no "God's children". You are either very ignorant to the times of Alexander or simply trying to apply your beliefs on a time and place where that belief didn't even exist. Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2012
    Alexander, which fails in almost every way possible, bores its viewers to death and attempts to educate them through nullified narrative more than it does to entertain them.
  9. Jun 8, 2013
    I wish I could say I was able to overlook the film's many flaws and say that it's a half decent film, but that would be a lie. Is this film really that bad? Sadly, and unfortunately, yes. This is a bad film; the pacing is horrible, the editing is atrocious, the performances are overly dramatic, the battle sequences are mostly mindless, it's unnecessarily gory, the story itself is unengaging, the direction is confused, and as far as historical biopics go this isn't one that all that accurate. All of these things combined with ambition could not save this film which is very sad and disappointing. The reason this film was so disappointing is because I believe this ensemble could have created THE biopic of Alexander the Great, instead we are left with this mess that makes us question the minds of those involved. Expand
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    Stone obviously didn't spend any time on this sh*t as Alexander goes down in history as the Alexander the Never Will Be Great Film. One of the worsts of the worsts.
  11. Oct 3, 2013
    Intriguing cast! However it's interesting to see how much can go wrong with an interesting part of history if the storytelling doesn't work. Sadly IMO this is one of Oliver Stones weakest movies. Really boring and it takes ages to get to a point.
  12. Apr 1, 2014
    One of the greatest movies i have ever seen! I can't udnerstand why some many people disliked this film. It was masterpiece! I think people just don't understand the full meaning of this film. They just care about the action ****

1. Since the movie lacks a vision of what Alexander was really about as a man and a figure in history, it falls back all too frequently on movie spectacle.
    Alexander breaks the key rule that makes movies move: Show, don't tell.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    At best an honorable failure, an intelligent and ambitious picture that crucially lacks dramatic flair and emotional involvement.