Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: November 24, 2004
4.9
Mixed or average reviews based on 229 Ratings
WATCH NOW
kingshahidOct 4, 2011
I found this movie to have great costume and action. I enjoyed watching the battle scene's the most. Very entertaining. I didn't like Colin Farrell in this movie and Angelina is just a terrible actress but I still liked the movie overall.
oxanaSep 12, 2014
This review is based on Alexander Revisited, which is a longer, differently cut version, but still has just about the same stuff in it.

Before this movie, I knew practically nothing about Alexander the Great (what little I had learned in school was long forgotten). After seeing this, the loving bond was inevitable: not only did it have actors I enjoyed watching, but characters to fall in love with as well. This is the single most interesting piece of history I would ever want to study.

People have a lot of different kind of opinions about this movie, and I understand that. For me, loving this movie comes from somewhere other than objectively judging its quality, and I have no way to actually defend my opinion (watching Colin Farrell make out with Jared Leto, just a bit, definitely would have won me over no matter what the content).

The movie seems a bit dragged out, the battle scenes are too chaotic and long (not to mention the final battle in India which is always the one I hate most), but outside those, there are many good elements. A journey of a man with a vision, yet those who follow him eventually grow tired of chasing after something they do not want. And yet, Alexander the Great was loved by many, and he conquered more than anyone probably thought possible. This movie shows just that - and perhaps a bit more.

The soundtrack of this movie is wonderful, within or without the movie. Vangelis did an amazing job on that.
ChristoJan 24, 2005
I just cannot understand why people are saying that Alexander is a terrible movie! I have studied Alexander The Great for about 2 years now, and i have written numerous essays about him. This movie depicts the EXACT history of his wonderful I just cannot understand why people are saying that Alexander is a terrible movie! I have studied Alexander The Great for about 2 years now, and i have written numerous essays about him. This movie depicts the EXACT history of his wonderful and great life. I think that people were expecting to see a bloodfest. If you want to see a stupid gory movie, go and rent freddy vs. jason. Alexander is an historical epic about the greatest warrior to ever live. I think that people were taken aback by Alexanders bisexuality. You must understand that during those times, a person who loved men and women was respected greatly because he/she loved each and every single one of God's children. You cant think of it as modern times. The mentality back then was VERY different. So when you watch this movie, judge Alexander as a loving, yet strong person. I would like to say that the acting in this movie was riveting. No one overacted. Anglina Jolie betrayed Olmypia perfectly, passionate yet overpowering over her son. She had a perfect Greek accent, and i would know this since i am greek and lived there for sometime! So everyone who say's their accents are stupid are wrong! You have no fricken idea about how they are suppose to sound! Colin Farrel is a wonderful actor, he captured Alexander's passion and his pain. Also, i wanted to add that Anthony Hopkins was not given the props he should be given. He narrated the movie with such fatigue and (here it is again, lol) passion. So please, disregard all of the stupid and idiotic bad comments made by some of these people! Go and watch Alexander with an open mind and expect an epic with just enough battle, history, and love to make it a spectacular film. (please email me if this article made any difference to you @ ctaoushiani656@comcast.net) Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
EduardoR.Nov 8, 2005
A brilliant film. Epic and well made.
0 of 1 users found this helpful
KammyhJun 12, 2011
Wonderful movie that describes perfectly the different faces of Alexander's personality. No important fact is left aside, but still you have the time to think and elaborate your own interpretation about what happens. I think this is the bestWonderful movie that describes perfectly the different faces of Alexander's personality. No important fact is left aside, but still you have the time to think and elaborate your own interpretation about what happens. I think this is the best solution for a hystorical movie, because hystorically speaking there are lots of different traditions and you can't choose one over the other that easily. Expand
JessiH.Dec 29, 2005
I loved it. To fully appreciate this, you need to enjoy history, have an open mind, and actually be able to *pay* *attention* to what the 'characters' are saying. Alexander did a *lot,* and Stone is trying to include as much as he I loved it. To fully appreciate this, you need to enjoy history, have an open mind, and actually be able to *pay* *attention* to what the 'characters' are saying. Alexander did a *lot,* and Stone is trying to include as much as he can, coherently, to give us the best picture all around of who Alexander really was. And I think that for the most part he did a really good job of acheiving this. I don't care how they marketed the film. I do, however, think that they should have gotten linguistic coaches for their actors in major roles - you cannot have what sounds like a Scottish Crateros, an Irish Alexander, etc. - it takes the viewers out of the movie enough for them to have to tell themselves to ignore that element (and can annoy many people throughout). I really enjoyed this; but I also happen to be the kind of person that loves long movies, enjoys history, has an open mind, and pays attention to what's being said and not said by the characters. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful
PelopidasJan 14, 2012
This is an amazing video. Colin F makes a great job at portraying Alexander. This is how a historical movie should be made. Accuracy neatly balanced with entertainment value.

Also an answer to the reviewer called "Christo": For someone who

Also an answer to the reviewer called "Christo": For someone who supposedly studied Alexander for 2 years, you have very little knowledge of Alexander and the times he lived in. This is a laugh: "You must understand that during those times, a person who loved men and women was respected greatly because he/she loved each and every single one of God's children.". God's children? Since neither Christianity or Islam had been even founded, I suppose you are either claiming that all Greeks including Alexander were, what...? Jewish? Polytheism ruled back then. There would be no "God's children". You are either very ignorant to the times of Alexander or simply trying to apply your beliefs on a time and place where that belief didn't even exist.
enlibaApr 1, 2014
One of the greatest movies i have ever seen! I can't udnerstand why some many people disliked this film. It was masterpiece! I think people just don't understand the full meaning of this film. They just care about the action ****
MarkT2014Feb 18, 2015
Probably the only history movie I've taken seriously for the last 15+ years.

Other movies like 300 or it's sequel are just action blockbusters with zero realism. A Disneyland for adolescents. This movie looks as if it was made for
Probably the only history movie I've taken seriously for the last 15+ years.

This movie looks as if it was made for history class teachers. That's why on my list it gets clean 10. Very well executed, no superhero **** no cheep humor in fight scenes. It's a serious movie, factual and realistic. Certainly not for an average Joe.

FilmQueenOct 22, 2015
I have to disagree with everyone who claims this film is bad. It's not perfect for sure, but still very enjoyable. I love Alexander the Great and I have studied and read about him a lot and it's wrong to say that this film is historicallyI have to disagree with everyone who claims this film is bad. It's not perfect for sure, but still very enjoyable. I love Alexander the Great and I have studied and read about him a lot and it's wrong to say that this film is historically inaccurate. They mixed a bit of legend into the story. Like his mother being a kind of witch and him being Zeus's son... but obviously we all know this kind of stuff is just the legend to make his character more grand. But the facts are true, the film is historically accurate enough. I especially liked that they didn't create a theory about his death. We do not know the cause of his death, so the movie doesn't make it clear either and just leaves the viewer guessing, just as historians are guessing. My only problem is that they portrayed him more emotional than he probably was. The battle scenes are great, violent yet beautiful and realistic as well. The music is composed by Vangelis,so yeah...epic, probably there is no need to say more. The scenery is beautiful as well. The kid who portrayed young Alexander provided a surprisingly good performance that I usually don't expect from kids. Not to mention that he actually resembles Colin Farrell. Probably it's due to the make-up and hair, but my point is it's actually believable that the kid is his younger self and that's quite rare in movies. In many other films I hate flashbacks, because it usually kills the illusion that the kid is so obviously not the same person. Not in this film,though. I could keep on complementing certain parts of this film, but what's essential is that it has enough good to keep you entertained despite the bad parts.( I am aware that the editing is kinda **** Expand