5.6

1. VinceM.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Wow...extremely disappointed...and the 3D seemed a little off but i dont consider that part of the movie....watch it anyway though. worth watching i guess.
  2. JustinR.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Wow, getting really creative now aren't we Mr. Burton? Every movie you make is 90% finished before you even start, because you basically use the same people, same music, same sets, same everything, then pour 10% of the actual story in. Everything he touches turns to shit. Poor Alice, poor Mr. Carroll, and poor anyone who sees this steaming pile.
  3. LouisR
    May 15, 2010
    If it hadn't been an adaptation I might have enjoyed it but instead we have Lewis Carrol's brilliant nonsense literature turned into just another Narnia rip off. It does have some good Burton moments and Johnny Depp is amazing in it.
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    The positive of this film is how visually appealing it is, however because it came out roughly around the time of Avatar, it becomes a second rate fantasy flick. Combining this and the messiness of the screenplay creates rather a disappointing film.
  5. Fred
    Mar 5, 2010
    Would someone tell Tim Burton this story is based on a book! I do not expect a movie to be 100% loyal to the book, but he just threw it out the window! What a waste of a great actor.
  6. DanielleB.
    Apr 5, 2010
    this movie was just so boring!!! the story, the characters , a total waste of my money!!! the "3D" is just added there to make more money because people expect it to be amazing but it was not!!!! i really regret seeing this!!
  7. Dec 19, 2010
    Just one word: Boring. It is just so boring and it isn't good in any sense, not the characters not the story, nothing. Apparently Burton was just given a bunch of money and decided not to focus on the story or the characters or giving an inventive view on the wonderful book this movie is based on, and just spent it on the special effects which are just ok. Terrible movie can't believeJust one word: Boring. It is just so boring and it isn't good in any sense, not the characters not the story, nothing. Apparently Burton was just given a bunch of money and decided not to focus on the story or the characters or giving an inventive view on the wonderful book this movie is based on, and just spent it on the special effects which are just ok. Terrible movie can't believe it's nominated for a golden globe. Expand
  8. JoseR
    Jun 3, 2010
    This really doesn't deserve to be called Alice in Wonderland.
  9. Oct 31, 2010
    The WORST movie of 2010. Its a horrible sequel to a so-so movie. CGI is bad, 3D was atrocious, i was bored and I was just sitting there waiting for it to end.
  10. Dec 13, 2011
    A very odd and unique film. I'm almost disappointed that I didn't see this in 3D. Which is the only reason why anyone should watch this. This film was very, very, very fast paced. It will also go on my list of Tim Burton's worst. A word of advice to Tim, stick to stop motion. Although, the best aspect of the film is the costume design. Especially Alice's red dress. It's a no drainer thatA very odd and unique film. I'm almost disappointed that I didn't see this in 3D. Which is the only reason why anyone should watch this. This film was very, very, very fast paced. It will also go on my list of Tim Burton's worst. A word of advice to Tim, stick to stop motion. Although, the best aspect of the film is the costume design. Especially Alice's red dress. It's a no drainer that this won for Best Achievement in Costume Design at Oscars. The next great thing about this film is the effects. Loved the part when Alice falls down the rabbit hole. With a stunning performance by Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast the acting was decent. There was a nice feel to the acting. There personalities where spot on, especially the Red Queen.To break it down, I recommend this movie to people that get board with good movies and love fashion. Expand
  11. Sep 29, 2012
    Terrible! Awful! Hideous! Johnny Depp ruined his career for starring as the Mad Hatter! The plot from the 1951 animated version (the one we all know and love) was massacred! And Alice wasn't even listed as the main character! For some reason, the Mad Hatter was. It's ALICE'S adventure in Wonderland! Not his! This is truly a disgrace to the "Wonderland series".
  12. Paul
    Mar 5, 2010
    Few moments and nice visuals, but slow and not all the great for me. The movie lost the charm of the non-sensical nature of the book.
    Mar 7, 2010
    I was generally fascinated by the animation, but the movie seemed to be incredibly predictable which led me to lose interest.
  14. JohnnyB
    Apr 5, 2010
    No disrespect to Tim Burton or Johnny Depp coz I love them but honestly... if you watch the movie up to the part where they first show you that scroll/calendar thing (in the first 20 minutes of the movie) then you will now know the rest of the movie. The ending was dissapointing. As one of the critics said and he was completely correct, "The biggest suprise about Alice in Wonderland was No disrespect to Tim Burton or Johnny Depp coz I love them but honestly... if you watch the movie up to the part where they first show you that scroll/calendar thing (in the first 20 minutes of the movie) then you will now know the rest of the movie. The ending was dissapointing. As one of the critics said and he was completely correct, "The biggest suprise about Alice in Wonderland was the lack of suprise". Expand
  15. TimothyV.
    Jun 2, 2010
    Ugh. I ended up taking a phone call halfway through and used the film as a visual backdrop for my phone conversation with the volume down because I could not care less what the end result ended up being. What a snooze fest. Don't Tim, Helena and Johnny ever get sick of one another because I'm sick of watching them play out the same characters over and over in film after film.
  16. JaperH
    Mar 18, 2010
    Terrible just ruined a classic. Hollywood need to learn to leave good movies alone.
  17. YasminB
    Mar 19, 2010
    Awful. Just awful. I sincerely wish Tim Burton and Johnny Depp would stop sacking and burning so many of my childhood memories.
  18. SimonD
    Mar 19, 2010
    Looking forward to this a lot but turned out to be a massive dissapointment. Not so much unpredictable as much as tells you the ending early on. The caterpillar was extremely dull and the ending was cheesy as hell - unexpected from a Burton film. Great performances from Depp and Bonham Carter but still a massive disappointment.
  19. Brett
    Mar 5, 2010
    Its like a bad acid trip. 3D is just another gimmick to increase ticket prices. I simply cannot recommend this to anybody. Mad Hatter is like Carrot Top from hell. Looks like a clown, and the whole world feels animated and fake to an extent thats unbearable. I like Deep, but I think its time he starts to turn down Burtons films... its getting old.
  20. TomJ.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Just came out of the theater. It was not good. It was cheap looking and the acting was so below average. Johnny Depp is a joke now. This movie was just a marketing/advertising frenzy. Blaaaaah.
  21. JonR.
    Mar 6, 2010
    What was this movie? It is a mess. The 3D was terrible. The story was incomprehensible.
  22. SamY.
    Apr 5, 2010
    A soulless version of the novel itself. Problem is Burton tries too hard to make it dark and effectively drains out the wit and emotion that made readers fall in love with the novel.The only thing that will impress you is its CGI.
  23. KenB
    Mar 21, 2010
    Perhaps one of THE worst movies of all time, inasmuch a is based on an extremely important and unique story. A new, predictable plot was invented; characters created alliances, behaviors, and characteristics that had nothing to do with the story. What was the point of the modern dance thing randomly inserted? Why make Alice a young woman? Tim Burton's movies are becoming slickish Perhaps one of THE worst movies of all time, inasmuch a is based on an extremely important and unique story. A new, predictable plot was invented; characters created alliances, behaviors, and characteristics that had nothing to do with the story. What was the point of the modern dance thing randomly inserted? Why make Alice a young woman? Tim Burton's movies are becoming slickish satires of his own style. Expand
  24. Amy
    Mar 5, 2010
    Very very bad casting of Alice, I was disappointed with this film. The 3D was ok and the other characters held up but I didn't believe this Alice at all which screwed the whole thing for me....
  25. MichaelD.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Yet another steaming dump Burton drops on Hollywood. This movie was so unsatisfying, cheesy, and predictable...don't see this movie. Unless you aren't paying for it. None the less you will still regret seeing this movie.
  26. DevonC.
    Mar 6, 2010
    The worst movie ever made. The special effects were terrible. And the presentation of it's style is horribly corny. This has to be Depp's most embarrassing role, as well as Tim Burton's most underachieving film.
  27. DaveH.
    May 22, 2010
    This movie had very impressive visuals, i watched it in 2D but visuals were really good, however, the movie lacks something called life, this movie didn't focus on anything and movies like that usually suck (such as the Dark Knight), and like the Dark Knight, it lacks an emotional feeling or purpose, barely worth watching in DVD or TV.
  28. PeterB
    May 28, 2010
    I can see how this movie may have charmed 7-year-old children across the world. The rest of us ought to be ashamed of such a foolish adaptation of Carroll's work of art. For those of you doting on Depp's performance, I suggest you see Blow, Finding Neverland, or even Edward Scissorhands as you will be in for a treat. Let's just hope that the novelty of 3D movies fades I can see how this movie may have charmed 7-year-old children across the world. The rest of us ought to be ashamed of such a foolish adaptation of Carroll's work of art. For those of you doting on Depp's performance, I suggest you see Blow, Finding Neverland, or even Edward Scissorhands as you will be in for a treat. Let's just hope that the novelty of 3D movies fades quickly so that Hollywood has to return to writing, directing, and acting out quality screenplays. Expand
  29. StevenL
    Jun 7, 2010
    What makes this movie so miserably awful, in addition to its incoherent narrative,l is its contrast with our high expectations for each new Tim Burton film . Yet, this time the commercial demands of keeping up with the Jones', or Cameron's, commercially and technologically, snuffed any chance this chaotic fantasy might have had. One can only hope that Mr. Burton rediscovers his What makes this movie so miserably awful, in addition to its incoherent narrative,l is its contrast with our high expectations for each new Tim Burton film . Yet, this time the commercial demands of keeping up with the Jones', or Cameron's, commercially and technologically, snuffed any chance this chaotic fantasy might have had. One can only hope that Mr. Burton rediscovers his innovative voice and rejoins his deserved place in the pantheon of post modern cinema. Expand
  30. XavierO.
    Mar 14, 2010
    I was very very disappointed. The humor was bland, the whole story seemed rushed, i just did not find the movie to be anything near good. The only plus was the beautiful atmospheres and art, but other than that, i was hoping and waiting the movie would end sooner.
  31. GlennS
    Mar 21, 2010
    Visually Alice in Wonderland a treat but, the story was disappointingly pedestrian, boring, predictable, a story by numbers. Couldn't wait for it to be over. The 3-D added very little to the experience. Johnny Depp's weakest movie in a while.
  32. AndrewW
    May 29, 2010
    Absolutely disappointing. I realize that the original maker of Alice in Wonderland was tripping on LSD and raping a girl named alice, but that doesn't give tim burton the right to ruin a classic movie. There wasn't even a Wonderland. Hello the name of the movie is alice IN WONDERLAND. Instead the movie was like a long acid trip that in the end was just upseting. I wouldn't Absolutely disappointing. I realize that the original maker of Alice in Wonderland was tripping on LSD and raping a girl named alice, but that doesn't give tim burton the right to ruin a classic movie. There wasn't even a Wonderland. Hello the name of the movie is alice IN WONDERLAND. Instead the movie was like a long acid trip that in the end was just upseting. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. If you want to see Alice in Wonderland watch the original. if you are going to remake a movie at least keep the main point of the movie in the new one. for this movie it is Wonderland and Wonderland isn't in the new movie. EPIC F*CKING FAIL TIM BURTON. Expand
  33. RafaelB
    May 31, 2010
    This movie is completely devoid of soul and purpose. When the movie ends you realize just how uninspiring it is, leaving little to no mark on you. It's so standard and expected. You can tell how the story ends from shot 1. I'm afraid this is 100% forgettable movie and you should definitely check out something more worthy of your time.
  34. Aug 19, 2010
    You know why I don't like this movie at all? Just because of those stupid ads they have on the internet! They're annoying(just because I saw them a billion times on the internet)! I'd never watch this at all! EVER!!!
  35. Aug 28, 2010
    Horrifying. It's as if the movie's entire purpose was to reinforce the dominant paradigm rather than deny it, and all the while take deliberate measure to mock the unfortunate. The Red Queen character was the only one that felt remotely human, and she was swiftly disposed of with sadist cruelty. The White Queen, for someone who supposedly was the image of purity, was of a condescending,Horrifying. It's as if the movie's entire purpose was to reinforce the dominant paradigm rather than deny it, and all the while take deliberate measure to mock the unfortunate. The Red Queen character was the only one that felt remotely human, and she was swiftly disposed of with sadist cruelty. The White Queen, for someone who supposedly was the image of purity, was of a condescending, arrogant, and spiteful brand. Alice herself just falls back into others' expectations by slaying the Jabberwocky, which is itself a hardly thoughtful and tedious motion to forge some sort of third act; needless to say, the bit at the end is an offense to the Chinese deserving of harsh reprimand. Expand
  36. Nov 2, 2010
    I remember one year, Target had copies of Santa Clause Conquers The Martians. I bought this, and then proceeded to watch it at my home. I got a few minutes into it before I realized I had seen this movie before. It seems Mystery Science Theater 3 Thousand had already covered this movie. This movie was so bad, it had already gone down in legend. There is not 1 redeeming feature in thatI remember one year, Target had copies of Santa Clause Conquers The Martians. I bought this, and then proceeded to watch it at my home. I got a few minutes into it before I realized I had seen this movie before. It seems Mystery Science Theater 3 Thousand had already covered this movie. This movie was so bad, it had already gone down in legend. There is not 1 redeeming feature in that movie. I enjoyed Manos: Hand of Fate more than Santa Clause Conquers The Martians.

Alice in Wonderland is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.
  37. Nov 23, 2010
    Movie is just an attractive and appealing picture, unfortunately it contains nothing valuable. One time see movie, will not watch it again. '3D' added just to be. Average
  38. Nov 24, 2010
    C'est une mauvaise adaptation. Un point c'est tout. Les premiers films de Tim Burton restent des chefs-d'oeuvre comparés à cette chose sans forme. Si vous avez adoré Charlie Et La Chocolaterie vous aimerez surement cette version d'Alice. Ce n'est évidemment pas mon cas.
  39. Nov 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Of this point goes to johnny depp and the other half point goes to helena bonham carter, no problems with them at all. However having never even read the book, I will say that other than the two aforementioned actors this film was garbage. It had no direction, the main character was left completely undeveloped, the actress playing the main character had no screen presence let alone confidence in her role, there was no sense of tension, I'm pretty sure something called a bandersnatch (which my mother informs me was not ever seen in the book) is not supposed to be and endeared loveable dog thing, it turned into another uneededly epic underdog story at the end, with unspoken potential for romance between the pimary female and male lead (oh disney you never fail to do this), there were a ton of unecessary characters who DID not pull their weight (spastic rabbit thing, mouse, other rabbit thing, the goddamn dog {aww he has a family, how lovingly manipulative} and the fat boys) Ughh and she does one of those disney things where she goes and tells everyone whats what at the end of the film all things which could have been concluded at the beginning of the film and i would have forgiven it ALL IF THE GODDAMN JABBERWOCK WASNT A GODDAMN DRAGON!! AGHH EVERYTHING IS A DRAGON MY DAMN COFFEE TABLE IS A DRAGON! MY EBONY COA COA BUTTER CO*CHIE IS A DRAGON MY IMAGINARY NEPHEW IS A DAMN DRAGON! Expand
  40. Mar 26, 2011
    Another classic story that Tim Burton messes up by making it dark, don't get me wrong I've always wanted to see the story of Alice in Wonderland in a more mature setting about her sanity slipping, but it doesn't do that it just tries to make it an action movie with a darker tone, but fails because it doesn't make any sense, the reason I didn't enjoy it is because they have the setting, butAnother classic story that Tim Burton messes up by making it dark, don't get me wrong I've always wanted to see the story of Alice in Wonderland in a more mature setting about her sanity slipping, but it doesn't do that it just tries to make it an action movie with a darker tone, but fails because it doesn't make any sense, the reason I didn't enjoy it is because they have the setting, but they don't have the all characters as they should, I only like one character and that was not enough to save the movie from failure. Expand
  41. May 1, 2011
    Well thankyou Tim Buton, thankyou for at least making me want to deliberately avoid thinking about how much I hate this film. I summarise reasons below why I endeavour to avoid even remembering what it is I despised so much about this film, and why it actually makes me depressed just to write this review. In no particular order of awfulness:

1. The plot; it may as well not be there,

1. The plot; it may as well not be there, it is just an excuse to go through hyper weird set pieces that end up looking like art student vomit. In fact there is no plot, I was wrong to even mention the word and I am sorry for that

2. Visual Direction; should have been made as another stop motion film a lá Nightmare or Corpse Bride, because the visual style they were going for was clearly done by someone who saw those films and thought long and hard about how to regurgitate them onto a green screen. 3. The voice acting; t his film is basically comprised of non-real characters who are cgi'd next to real ones, and they were mostly good (enough) but these 3 wanted to make me cry: The: Red Queen, awfully shrill (Queeny anyone?) and devoid of any real charm or humor. Dormouse, Barbara Windsor playing a ridiculously re-purposed character in a ridiculous over acted voice and Johnny Depp, a real actor performance you say? No, if you look closely you can see someone drew him in with Crayolas. 4. Johnny Depp: Please stop, oh God why won't you stop? What...are you, are you Scottish now? Why? Oh no....I'll pay you, whatever Burton offered I'll double. Just please...wait, what are you doing now? No please stop dancing...oh Christ no.No.No.No.

5. The Sacrilege: Hello source material! Goodbye source material!!!!! I recall fondly my childhood memories of bedtime stories when I was very young at around 5 to reading the books myself when 7 and feeling to this day the influence they have on my creativity and the very landscape of my mind, if you will. Only two years ago I finally found 'my copy' of the book at a book fair, a beautiful hardback 1970s ed with all the original J. Tenniel illustrations and including some letters by L. Carol and I was so excited to have it in my hand after years of borrowing the family copy. I read the book once every two years or so to refresh it in my mind without it becoming boring, and I was so excited to hear of the new film. I won't bother to go into detail, but everything about this hash of a cash cow got under my skin. When looking back on the original story, I loved most its purity and and it's otherworldly, edge-of-dreaming surrealism and of course Alice, because I found it so easy to take her place; and when I look at what they warped these inherent properties into I feel angry and almost physically sick.

There you go, I am done. This film is probably worth some mark other than zero, hell it's probably even worth a couple of good comments, but I am even too biased to care at this point abut being too biased. I am like a grieving parent who has had a child brutally murdered by a callous and dangerous killer, with no comprehension of the damage he has caused through his actions, my only hope is that this film will slowly rot away in a cell until everyone forgets about it and then maybe I can move on.
  42. Aug 26, 2011
    Tim Burton was once called the cleverest and most imaginative filmmaker in Hollywood since David Lynch. A decade later he made Alice in Wonderland, and finally gave into his desire to be painter rather than a storyteller.
  43. May 30, 2014
    Despite a strong start to his career, in more recent years Tim Burton has somehow managed to monotonize the absurd. Johnny Depp in Wonderland is a prime example. Despite what die hard fans of Burton may say, there are no original ideas here it's just a bastardised version of what you've already seen. I think it's supposed to be a sequel but if that is the case it's a fairly terrible one.Despite a strong start to his career, in more recent years Tim Burton has somehow managed to monotonize the absurd. Johnny Depp in Wonderland is a prime example. Despite what die hard fans of Burton may say, there are no original ideas here it's just a bastardised version of what you've already seen. I think it's supposed to be a sequel but if that is the case it's a fairly terrible one.
    Alice comes to Wonderland (which is no called Underland for some reason) and is told she's apparently been there before when she was little but she keeps saying that was a different Alice and she also gets told she has to fight this huge monster thing called a Jabberwocky but she insists that is also a different Alice. Spoiler alert, it turns out Alice is Alice all along. What a **** twist.
    The supporting cast do a decent job but our leading lady, Mia Wasikowska, is a mind bogglingly bad actress. Fear, surprise, confusion, anger, happiness, worry, relief are all portrayed with the same vacant expression and flat tone of voice.
    There's just very little to praise about this film. The writing, story, direction, and acting are all sub-par and the CGI isn't all that impressive. I'd advise giving this one a miss.
  44. Nov 16, 2011
    Alice in Wonderland is a dull and cartoonish film that only provides Johnny Depp's always great acting. I was quite disappointed.
  45. Jun 10, 2012
    This actually my least favorite movie of all time. It does something that I hate where movies try to make some classic story into lord of the rings. I cannot stand that. That of course is my subjective opinion. There are many other things I don't like, the acting, the dialogue, the VFX. The Cheshire cat is good though. Not good enough to redeem a single point, but he was the best thing inThis actually my least favorite movie of all time. It does something that I hate where movies try to make some classic story into lord of the rings. I cannot stand that. That of course is my subjective opinion. There are many other things I don't like, the acting, the dialogue, the VFX. The Cheshire cat is good though. Not good enough to redeem a single point, but he was the best thing in the movie. Expand
  46. Aug 28, 2014
    A wreck that both Disney and Burton should be ashamed of. To take a literary classic and attempt to create an unnecessary new eerier world out of Wonderland is abysmal.
  47. Jul 4, 2013
    Here's what's wrong with Alice in Wonderland: it doesn't want to be Alice in Wonderland. It wants to be Narnia. The Dormouse's overhaul into a feisty fencer alone is clue enough, as if everything else weren't already screaming it at you through a megaphone. The problem is that it isn't Narnia, shouldn't be Narnia, and isn't nearly as good at being Narnia as Narnia. Johnny Depp is moreHere's what's wrong with Alice in Wonderland: it doesn't want to be Alice in Wonderland. It wants to be Narnia. The Dormouse's overhaul into a feisty fencer alone is clue enough, as if everything else weren't already screaming it at you through a megaphone. The problem is that it isn't Narnia, shouldn't be Narnia, and isn't nearly as good at being Narnia as Narnia. Johnny Depp is more annoying in this film than he has ever been before, creating a Mad Hatter who is just confusing instead of remotely endearing, and every other character is roughly him in miniature in this respect. It's not even the good, bewildering kind of confusing that you would expect from the source material: it's just the bad, boring kind of confusing that suggests the filmmakers didn't do their homework, didn't try to create a character with a meaningful identity, and didn't try to make sure their characters had actual purpose and plot relevance. The March Hare is reduced to a one-note side joke. The Dormouse has been marginally elevated...into a slightly DIFFERENT one-note side joke from the one in the book, with slightly more screen time (this time, the joke is that the Dormouse is a Reepicheep clone! HOW WONDERFUL!). The Mad Hatter is the only character from the tea party that seems to matter, but he's just annoying. The Tweedle twins are simply dull and underused instead of funny in any way. The White Rabbit is instantly forgettable, and you'll forget him every time you see him. Anne Hathaway, as the White Queen, hints at interesting character elements...that you will never ever see. Helena Bonham Carter is forced into a heartbreakingly shallow role as the Red Queen that everyone knows she is far too good for.

The only actors with roles that seemed to fit well were Crispin Glover as the Red Knave (and a chilling one at that; Glover, for all the notoriety he gained on Letterman, gets into his characters with an astonishing intensity, even in flops like this), Stephen Fry as the Cheshire Cat (because he seems to be perfect at everything he does), Alan Rickman as Absolem the Caterpillar (stupid though the name may be, Rickman's voice work is better than anyone could have ever expected, and he brings exactly the right note of condescending mystery that the caterpillar needs to have), and Christopher Lee as the Jabberwock (only two lines, but spoken SO WELL).

None of this is enough to save the movie from the fact that it doesn't want to be what it claims to be. It can never, ever escape this. The Alice trappings are just sort of "there", dangling around it, because it's clear to anyone with eyes that this movie began development after Disney bailed on the Chronicles of Narnia films so it wouldn't have to split the take with Walden Media, as an alternative to Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

Lewis Carroll would probably be disgusted.
  48. Mar 8, 2014
    Nope. I'm going to say that if you have not watched the 1951 animation, you'll probably enjoy the film. If you have, it will certainly be a disappointment. It just does not have the strong heart that the cartoon had.
  49. Apr 3, 2013
    This is absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. It's so corny, dull, and boring that's it's impossible to enjoy. Not to mention that it's extremely creepy and dark but it's a kid's movie! Do not let a child under 10 see it or he will be scarred for life. How did this make over a billion dollars on it's box office?!! The only reason it gets a one from me is because of the specialThis is absolutely one of the worst movies ever made. It's so corny, dull, and boring that's it's impossible to enjoy. Not to mention that it's extremely creepy and dark but it's a kid's movie! Do not let a child under 10 see it or he will be scarred for life. How did this make over a billion dollars on it's box office?!! The only reason it gets a one from me is because of the special effects. But other than that.............. Horrible! Horrible! Horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  50. Jun 10, 2013
    All style very little substance. Tim Burton has a tendency to do this, the visuals look amazing, but unfortunately the story lacks entertainment. Plus as good as Johnny Depp is he's just kind of annoying here.
  51. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. you know, remakes suck. Ever so rarely is there a new version that is substantial or even better than the original. This one is neither. It is an instant cash grab of the most iconic tale of wonderment and enchantment, turned into a clichéd pop corn flick. Just throw this movie in the pile of movies that look good, but lack any good direction in story and development. First off, Tim Burton. Why do he keep doing these remakes; maybe he didn't actually do that many and I'm just being angry right now, but he hasnto stop. Why, why oh why can't Hollywood just leave our childhood alone? Enough ranting, time to get serious. The main problem with this movie is surprisingly the amount of darkness in it, not that I dislike it, but I feel that there's not enough or too much at times. At times you see really ghastly images; speaking of which just about 90% of this flick is CGI, and other times it's not. Of course you have Johnny Depp. he does an okay job as the mad hatter, nothing great just fine. Alice is easily forgettable and I don't I just don't care about her, all I care about her is that she has to fight some dragon in the end. Which is another problem, in the first 10 minutes or so, they just flat out tell you how it's going to end, in a cliché manner. I know there's this quest of understanding and all, but stopped prolonging the inevitable. The only none effect related comment I can say about this flick is that the red queen played by Helen Boncarter: I think, does a good job at being extremely over the top, and she's fun to watch. That's it I guess, I don't like this movie, and I don't recommend this to many people. Expand

1. A fantastical romp that proves every bit as transporting as that movie about the blue people of Pandora, his "Alice" is more than just a gorgeous 3D sight to behold.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For all its clever design, beguiling creatures and witty actors, the picture feels far more conventional than it should; it's a Disney film illustrated by Burton, rather than a Burton film that happens to be released by Disney.
  3. Tim Burton, plus Alice, plus 3D equals an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind movie experience. It will clean up.