5.6

1. Sep 15, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really thought I was going to dislike this movie. However, I was surprised by how much I liked it. Johnny Depp was excellent as the Mad Hatter. Although, my only complaint was that Christopher Lee was really underused. I wish I could hear him speak more lines as the Jabberwocky. Expand
  2. VinceM.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Wow...extremely disappointed...and the 3D seemed a little off but i dont consider that part of the movie....watch it anyway though. worth watching i guess.
  3. JustinR.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Wow, getting really creative now aren't we Mr. Burton? Every movie you make is 90% finished before you even start, because you basically use the same people, same music, same sets, same everything, then pour 10% of the actual story in. Everything he touches turns to shit. Poor Alice, poor Mr. Carroll, and poor anyone who sees this steaming pile.
  4. EvanL.
    Mar 6, 2010
    Although this movie comes across in the end as commercial and highly predictable, there is a consistent intrigue about the development of the neo-Wonderland that is more then refreshing. Those who find its characters forward and lacking zest to a new audience are forgetting that the last handful of generations grew up knowing every aspect of the main performers. Essentially Wonderland has Although this movie comes across in the end as commercial and highly predictable, there is a consistent intrigue about the development of the neo-Wonderland that is more then refreshing. Those who find its characters forward and lacking zest to a new audience are forgetting that the last handful of generations grew up knowing every aspect of the main performers. Essentially Wonderland has become antiquated, and the fact that Burton and company could make them jovial and truly real in a way previous movies could not; resolves as a testament to their workmanship and vision. However, less make up Johnny. Expand
  5. LouisR
    May 15, 2010
    If it hadn't been an adaptation I might have enjoyed it but instead we have Lewis Carrol's brilliant nonsense literature turned into just another Narnia rip off. It does have some good Burton moments and Johnny Depp is amazing in it.
  6. ChadS.
    Mar 6, 2010
    It's anarchy on Victorian literature; anarchy in the 19th century U.K. This latest version of "Alice in Wonderland" wants to make a feminist hero out of the Lewis Carroll heroine. According to the oraculum, she's Alice the Jabberwocky Slayer. This time around, Prophecy Girl is not here just to have tea. This special effects-driven film shares with Steven Spielberg's "Hook" It's anarchy on Victorian literature; anarchy in the 19th century U.K. This latest version of "Alice in Wonderland" wants to make a feminist hero out of the Lewis Carroll heroine. According to the oraculum, she's Alice the Jabberwocky Slayer. This time around, Prophecy Girl is not here just to have tea. This special effects-driven film shares with Steven Spielberg's "Hook" the not altogether unappealing gimmick of an adult who returns to the fantastical realm that he/she haunted as a child. Alice was at the scene of the crime; the day that the Red Queen(Helena Bonham Carter) bombed the White Queen's court, in which the Hatter(Johnny Depp) went mad as he walked among the burning ruins. (The PG rating precludes the presence of royal court casualties.) As a young child, Alice suffered from nightmares and would ask her father about the state of her mental health. Too bad the calibration is all off on Alice's character; too bad she wasn't truly mad, somebody who would wake up screaming all throughout her life. This childhood trauma(that the film never addresses) has no effect on her as an adult. She seems fine in the carriage with her mother, en route to a garden party. It's him, not her, when Alice runs away from a formal marriage proposal at the gazebo, conducted in front of their friends and family. It should be the other way around. For commercial purposes, Alice is given no character arc. She enters, then emerges from Wonderland without any discernible changes. Her "Lord of the Rings" adventure could have been more rousing if she arrived in the shire, I mean Wonderland, as the Mad Debutante who ditched an Edward Ferrars-like bridegroom, and not the prig that Alice detests. Even Jane Austen's women got married. Set in the Victorian period, "Alice in Wonderland" should end with a wedding, not with the actions of a suffragette. This film has no sense and sensibility for its time and place. Expand
  7. JamesH
    Jun 1, 2010
    I submit reviews and ratings on 12 different sites, and for some reason this site is always way low on it's ratings. I don't get it! Another site that has an average of critic ratings quite similar to Metacritic must have happier critics in their database. Alice in Wonderland has never been one of my favorite stories, and although Tim Burton doesn
  8. Aug 13, 2010
    Going into the film with very little expectations, I was very pleasantly surprised! The acting was really good, especially by the lead actress and Helena Bonham Carter... Anne Hathaway was somewhat annoying, but that's just because of the nature of her character - all bubbly and ... annoying. Ha.

Anyway, visually, though, the film is just breath-taking and it definitely projects the magic that should be present in an adaptation of "Alice in Wonderland." It definitely feels like a magical world and it is a very entertaining film!
    One of Burton's better efforts, for sure!
  9. Jan 20, 2014
    The positive of this film is how visually appealing it is, however because it came out roughly around the time of Avatar, it becomes a second rate fantasy flick. Combining this and the messiness of the screenplay creates rather a disappointing film.
  10. Sep 24, 2011
    If you expected a controversial movie form Burton, "Alice in Wonderland" is not what you expect. However, the eerie creativity and fantastic visuals might delight you for the moment.
  11. Aug 14, 2010
    While it was light on plot and character development, Alice in Wonderland was a visual delight-perhaps the best ever created by Tim Burton. It's not amazing. But for those who haven't seen it, I recommend you give it a chance, and tumble down the rabbit hole with Alice. A 7.5/10.
  12. Feb 4, 2012
    Tim Burton directs a ton of heart and adventure into this adaptation which makes it great, but he also skillfully directs one of the most important details of the story into the movie the wackiness. He also has impressive performances especially Johnny Depp and newcomer Mia Wasikowska. Some cool action and just amazing visual effects. I give this film 92%.
  13. Fred
    Mar 5, 2010
    Would someone tell Tim Burton this story is based on a book! I do not expect a movie to be 100% loyal to the book, but he just threw it out the window! What a waste of a great actor.
  14. DanielleB.
    Apr 5, 2010
    this movie was just so boring!!! the story, the characters , a total waste of my money!!! the "3D" is just added there to make more money because people expect it to be amazing but it was not!!!! i really regret seeing this!!
  15. Dec 19, 2010
    Just one word: Boring. It is just so boring and it isn't good in any sense, not the characters not the story, nothing. Apparently Burton was just given a bunch of money and decided not to focus on the story or the characters or giving an inventive view on the wonderful book this movie is based on, and just spent it on the special effects which are just ok. Terrible movie can't believeJust one word: Boring. It is just so boring and it isn't good in any sense, not the characters not the story, nothing. Apparently Burton was just given a bunch of money and decided not to focus on the story or the characters or giving an inventive view on the wonderful book this movie is based on, and just spent it on the special effects which are just ok. Terrible movie can't believe it's nominated for a golden globe. Expand
  16. JoseR
    Jun 3, 2010
    This really doesn't deserve to be called Alice in Wonderland.
  17. JoeBlow
    Jun 3, 2010
    5 out of 10. Just average. Actually average movies suck because they are not worth my time. Avoid this one.
  18. Oct 27, 2010
    the way Avril Lavigne did the song Alice was the only reason why this movie was such a big hit from Tim Burton. take my advice: go and see it.
  19. Gus
    Mar 5, 2010
    Visually stunning and an epic story. Maybe a little too epic as the film seems to spend to little time on too many characters. But Burton and company bring them to life and make every bit of Wonderland as real as can be. Must see in IMAX 3D.
  20. SamanthaS
    May 18, 2010
    This movie was amazing. Everything about it draws you in and keeps you there. You dont want it to end.
  21. Aug 22, 2010
    A fantastic movie for all ages. Full of funs, fantasies, mysteries and all. It has the element to attract people. I'm very proud to Mia Wasikowska, she does a great act for this. The Red Queen is very funny. I don't get the character of the Mad Hatter who is played by Johnny Depp so i will minus the perfect points for this movie.
  22. Oct 31, 2010
    The WORST movie of 2010. Its a horrible sequel to a so-so movie. CGI is bad, 3D was atrocious, i was bored and I was just sitting there waiting for it to end.
  23. Oct 30, 2010
    The point of an adaptation is to create your OWN vision, while sticking true to the important elements, of the original story. Tim Burton has done just that, and beautifully. Not my FAVORITE adaptation of "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", but it's up there, and is certainly a memorable experience. In IMAX 3-D, it truly blows you away (especially the rabbit hole scene; GENIUS!)
  24. Dec 13, 2011
    A very odd and unique film. I'm almost disappointed that I didn't see this in 3D. Which is the only reason why anyone should watch this. This film was very, very, very fast paced. It will also go on my list of Tim Burton's worst. A word of advice to Tim, stick to stop motion. Although, the best aspect of the film is the costume design. Especially Alice's red dress. It's a no drainer thatA very odd and unique film. I'm almost disappointed that I didn't see this in 3D. Which is the only reason why anyone should watch this. This film was very, very, very fast paced. It will also go on my list of Tim Burton's worst. A word of advice to Tim, stick to stop motion. Although, the best aspect of the film is the costume design. Especially Alice's red dress. It's a no drainer that this won for Best Achievement in Costume Design at Oscars. The next great thing about this film is the effects. Loved the part when Alice falls down the rabbit hole. With a stunning performance by Johnny Depp and the rest of the cast the acting was decent. There was a nice feel to the acting. There personalities where spot on, especially the Red Queen.To break it down, I recommend this movie to people that get board with good movies and love fashion. Expand
  25. Sep 29, 2012
    Terrible! Awful! Hideous! Johnny Depp ruined his career for starring as the Mad Hatter! The plot from the 1951 animated version (the one we all know and love) was massacred! And Alice wasn't even listed as the main character! For some reason, the Mad Hatter was. It's ALICE'S adventure in Wonderland! Not his! This is truly a disgrace to the "Wonderland series".
  26. CallumJ.
    Mar 5, 2010
    A brilliant masterpiece, what you have to realise is that this was nit meant as a follow up, but a re-envisioning of wonderland.
  27. Tony
    Mar 20, 2010
    The current version of Alice in Wonderland exhibited a notable effort however the film fell short of in comparison an anticipation of the original psychological version that engaged the abstract of society.
  28. Paul
    Mar 5, 2010
    Few moments and nice visuals, but slow and not all the great for me. The movie lost the charm of the non-sensical nature of the book.
  29. RickW.
    Mar 6, 2010
    A wonderful film. The humor was excellent and was was a visual delight. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter was perfect and the crazy hare was intensley insaaaaaaaaane! Whatever the name of the dance the Mad Hatter did was fantastical.....our recommendation is "Don't be late!".
    Mar 7, 2010
    I was generally fascinated by the animation, but the movie seemed to be incredibly predictable which led me to lose interest.
  31. LindaC.
    Mar 7, 2010
    It is a fun, exciting, visually spectacular film!! I will see it at least once more while in theaters, as well as buy the DVD when released. One small curiosity, is it me or is the sound quality poor?
  32. DonnieB
    Apr 3, 2010
    I really enjoyed this movie, and I'm born a crtic so I don't say that often. It was the exciting action/adventure that I had been waiting for. It was fun to watch and, excluding Ann Hathaway, the actors did an amazing job conveying the history behind the characters without the use of cheesy flashbacks. Ann Hathaway's performance was terrible and she was one of the few I really enjoyed this movie, and I'm born a crtic so I don't say that often. It was the exciting action/adventure that I had been waiting for. It was fun to watch and, excluding Ann Hathaway, the actors did an amazing job conveying the history behind the characters without the use of cheesy flashbacks. Ann Hathaway's performance was terrible and she was one of the few setbacks to this movie. My only other complaint is that the ending was a little rushed and underexplained. However, this was an awesome movie and I recommend everyone to see it. Expand
  33. EmP.
    Apr 4, 2010
    When Burton misses - he misses, but when he hits... he hits it out of the park! I watched this film (non-3D version) with my jaw dropped open... I knew I was watching a true work of art. The more it unfolded, the more it became obvious it is a masterpiece. Fantasy fiction at its ABSOLUTE best! I was so lost in the land he created - the story was icing on this visual dessert - it When Burton misses - he misses, but when he hits... he hits it out of the park! I watched this film (non-3D version) with my jaw dropped open... I knew I was watching a true work of art. The more it unfolded, the more it became obvious it is a masterpiece. Fantasy fiction at its ABSOLUTE best! I was so lost in the land he created - the story was icing on this visual dessert - it didn't matter. And as for Johnny Depp - Has won me back..! He is a true master of the art of acting. Now I can't imagine the Mad Hatter any other way. Johnny & Tim forever. Expand
  34. ScottM
    Apr 4, 2010
    Visually inventive, but emotionally uninvolving. Ends up a kind of "Alice of Arc". Bleah.
  35. JohnnyB
    Apr 5, 2010
    No disrespect to Tim Burton or Johnny Depp coz I love them but honestly... if you watch the movie up to the part where they first show you that scroll/calendar thing (in the first 20 minutes of the movie) then you will now know the rest of the movie. The ending was dissapointing. As one of the critics said and he was completely correct, "The biggest suprise about Alice in Wonderland was No disrespect to Tim Burton or Johnny Depp coz I love them but honestly... if you watch the movie up to the part where they first show you that scroll/calendar thing (in the first 20 minutes of the movie) then you will now know the rest of the movie. The ending was dissapointing. As one of the critics said and he was completely correct, "The biggest suprise about Alice in Wonderland was the lack of suprise". Expand
  36. JacksonC
    Jun 13, 2010
    Was it better than I expected? No. However, it was pretty good, and it had great 3D effects.
  37. TimothyV.
    Jun 2, 2010
    Ugh. I ended up taking a phone call halfway through and used the film as a visual backdrop for my phone conversation with the volume down because I could not care less what the end result ended up being. What a snooze fest. Don't Tim, Helena and Johnny ever get sick of one another because I'm sick of watching them play out the same characters over and over in film after film.
  38. DavidP.
    Mar 14, 2010
    A wonderful start...but just a ridiculous ending. From the time Alice puts on her armor till the credits roll there's not a minute's worth of the madness and charm that made the rest of the film work. In Burton's filmography this picture falls somewhere between Mars Attacks and Sleepy Hollow. Still waiting for another Ed Wood.
  39. jamesm
    Mar 16, 2010
    I thought this was a really entertaining, quirky and colourful movie. Don't understand the low scores here.
  40. RayR
    Mar 17, 2010
    This film held my interest while watching it, but was forgettable afterwards. The special effects were good but I expected Wonderland to be more colorful and amazing than what was in this film. The characters were well imagined even though I had a difficult time understanding what they were saying. I'm a fan of many of the Burton/Depp movies but this film was somewhat of a This film held my interest while watching it, but was forgettable afterwards. The special effects were good but I expected Wonderland to be more colorful and amazing than what was in this film. The characters were well imagined even though I had a difficult time understanding what they were saying. I'm a fan of many of the Burton/Depp movies but this film was somewhat of a disappointment for me. Expand
  41. JaperH
    Mar 18, 2010
    Terrible just ruined a classic. Hollywood need to learn to leave good movies alone.
  42. YasminB
    Mar 19, 2010
    Awful. Just awful. I sincerely wish Tim Burton and Johnny Depp would stop sacking and burning so many of my childhood memories.
  43. SimonD
    Mar 19, 2010
    Looking forward to this a lot but turned out to be a massive dissapointment. Not so much unpredictable as much as tells you the ending early on. The caterpillar was extremely dull and the ending was cheesy as hell - unexpected from a Burton film. Great performances from Depp and Bonham Carter but still a massive disappointment.
  44. Brett
    Mar 5, 2010
    Its like a bad acid trip. 3D is just another gimmick to increase ticket prices. I simply cannot recommend this to anybody. Mad Hatter is like Carrot Top from hell. Looks like a clown, and the whole world feels animated and fake to an extent thats unbearable. I like Deep, but I think its time he starts to turn down Burtons films... its getting old.
  45. ConnorC.
    Mar 5, 2010
    This movie had great potential and I am saddened that it turned out to be a disappointment. From the first 20-30 minutes, you start to get the feeling that the movie is almost over.
  46. TomJ.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Just came out of the theater. It was not good. It was cheap looking and the acting was so below average. Johnny Depp is a joke now. This movie was just a marketing/advertising frenzy. Blaaaaah.
  47. SydneyJ.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Brilliant, lush, gorgeous masterpiece. Burton's greatest film since Edward Scissorhands. I don't know how anyone could watch this film and not be entertained.
  48. ShaneM.
    Mar 6, 2010
    I don't know what the critics who gave this movie a 25 are thinking, but this movie was truly excellent. While the plot was absolutely nothing like the books, it was also much more than a simple remake of the 1950s cartoon version of the movie, and Burton's constant nods to the books more than made up for the plot deviation. Time and again I found myself delighted with the small I don't know what the critics who gave this movie a 25 are thinking, but this movie was truly excellent. While the plot was absolutely nothing like the books, it was also much more than a simple remake of the 1950s cartoon version of the movie, and Burton's constant nods to the books more than made up for the plot deviation. Time and again I found myself delighted with the small details taken straight from Carroll's novels that were barely even addressed, but included just for those who'd read the books. The actors were all superb, and the new twist on the Mad Hatter (sort of a split-personality schizophrenia thing in addition to his outright wackiness) was very well done. In short, this is a must-see movie, in 3D if possible. Expand
  49. GrahamS.
    Mar 6, 2010
    A good movie especially in 3D but whoever acted as Alice had no clue what they were doing. Johnny Depp really saves this movie in my opinion.
  50. DanL.
    Mar 6, 2010
    Very entertaining and a visual feast for the eyes. The 3-D was not as good as Avatar, nevertheless it added to the spectacle.
  51. KenS.
    Mar 6, 2010
    Expected to see a movie version of the book but was pleasantly surprised that that wasn't the case. Takes familiar characters from the Alice books and the Jabberwocky poem by Caroll, and returns Alice to Wonderland 12 years later. Wasn't expecting much after reading a few reviews but it seems the reviewers just wanted to be disappointed.
  52. ChrisV
    Mar 6, 2010
    The special efects are cool, and the 3D even more, but the story, i thought it was going to be more interesting, but, i just got lost in the weird/ackward movie the whole time, this alice is not eligible to play as the real alice. Sucks period.
  53. G.D.
    Mar 6, 2010
    I'm a Tim Burton fan. This movie takes the works of Lewis Carroll and has liberally applied Burton's dark creative powers. For me it works. Johnny Depps Mad Hatter is appropriately insane. Helena Bonham Carter was perfectly grotesque. Crispin Glover as the El Grecoish villain exuded plenty of evil depravity.The art work and costumes pure Burtonian. The pace was a little slow at I'm a Tim Burton fan. This movie takes the works of Lewis Carroll and has liberally applied Burton's dark creative powers. For me it works. Johnny Depps Mad Hatter is appropriately insane. Helena Bonham Carter was perfectly grotesque. Crispin Glover as the El Grecoish villain exuded plenty of evil depravity.The art work and costumes pure Burtonian. The pace was a little slow at times. Although it could have been a little less predictable plotwise, that was not the intent of this darkly whimsical movie. Overall it was a lot of fun. Expand
  54. JonR.
    Mar 6, 2010
    What was this movie? It is a mess. The 3D was terrible. The story was incomprehensible.
  55. WillC.
    Mar 7, 2010
    Alice in Wonderland is a film that works in bits and pieces. The cast is pretty much perfect, the visuals are downright great and most of the dialogue works. But it makes too much sense, the beginning and the end completely failed and its obvious that Tim Burton is to action what Michael Bay is to writing. They're not very good at it. But its great fun and truly imaginative, but too Alice in Wonderland is a film that works in bits and pieces. The cast is pretty much perfect, the visuals are downright great and most of the dialogue works. But it makes too much sense, the beginning and the end completely failed and its obvious that Tim Burton is to action what Michael Bay is to writing. They're not very good at it. But its great fun and truly imaginative, but too bad this film ISN'T as mad as a hatter. It's worth seeing and the 3D worked well. Thumbs marginally up. Expand
  56. SamY.
    Apr 5, 2010
    A soulless version of the novel itself. Problem is Burton tries too hard to make it dark and effectively drains out the wit and emotion that made readers fall in love with the novel.The only thing that will impress you is its CGI.
  57. Justin
    Apr 5, 2010
    The 3D really sucked, I was expecting Avatar quality and wish I had watched the 2D version instead. Aside from the god awful 3D quality the Red Queen, Mad Hatter and Crispin Glover (I can't even remember his character) made the film bearable.
  58. LynA
    Jun 2, 2010
    Good movie, but a bit unfinished, not so mad as a hatter as I would like it to be.
  59. AlexC.
    Mar 14, 2010
    Thought this movie was great fun.....the charcters in Underland are very amusing. Johnny Depp gives another enjoyable Burton performance.....If you didn't enjoy this, you were probably too much of an Alice purist......or you are just already spoiled by Avatar overload.
  60. DanB.
    Mar 14, 2010
    To all the critics that gave this movie a negative review: LIGHTEN UP! This movie isn't meant to be taken as Academy Award material. I viewed this movie in IMAX 3D and in my opinion thats the only way to see it. The effects were amazing, the characters touching and close to the source material. Yes, the story is a little far fetched but WHO CARES! It was just a great time watching To all the critics that gave this movie a negative review: LIGHTEN UP! This movie isn't meant to be taken as Academy Award material. I viewed this movie in IMAX 3D and in my opinion thats the only way to see it. The effects were amazing, the characters touching and close to the source material. Yes, the story is a little far fetched but WHO CARES! It was just a great time watching this, if you dont think to much into it. No, this will not win the Oscar for film of the year, but in my eyes it was worth every penny and every second I used to see this. Taken for what it is, it was simply amazing. Expand
  61. LukeS.
    Mar 15, 2010
    Typical girl power / coming of age story that is more inspired by Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass then based on the books that share its title. Visually stunning, the movie is worth at least a rental at some point. 3/5
  62. KyleA
    Mar 17, 2010
    I thought it was good ,but the story seemed a little rushed if that makes sense to anybody.
  63. KenB
    Mar 21, 2010
    Perhaps one of THE worst movies of all time, inasmuch a is based on an extremely important and unique story. A new, predictable plot was invented; characters created alliances, behaviors, and characteristics that had nothing to do with the story. What was the point of the modern dance thing randomly inserted? Why make Alice a young woman? Tim Burton's movies are becoming slickish Perhaps one of THE worst movies of all time, inasmuch a is based on an extremely important and unique story. A new, predictable plot was invented; characters created alliances, behaviors, and characteristics that had nothing to do with the story. What was the point of the modern dance thing randomly inserted? Why make Alice a young woman? Tim Burton's movies are becoming slickish satires of his own style. Expand
  64. ThomasL
    Mar 22, 2010
    I have to admit that after looking forward to this, I fell asleep before it was over. Despite lots of great visuals, it doesn't really work. I agree with the reviewer who says its worst problem is that it "makes sense." I'm also afraid that 3D is still pretty gimmicky. Maybe when we can lose the glasses, it will be a lot better. Anyway ... meh.
  65. Amy
    Mar 5, 2010
    Very very bad casting of Alice, I was disappointed with this film. The 3D was ok and the other characters held up but I didn't believe this Alice at all which screwed the whole thing for me....
  66. MichaelD.
    Mar 5, 2010
    Yet another steaming dump Burton drops on Hollywood. This movie was so unsatisfying, cheesy, and predictable...don't see this movie. Unless you aren't paying for it. None the less you will still regret seeing this movie.
  67. DevonC.
    Mar 6, 2010
    The worst movie ever made. The special effects were terrible. And the presentation of it's style is horribly corny. This has to be Depp's most embarrassing role, as well as Tim Burton's most underachieving film.
  68. DaveH.
    May 22, 2010
    This movie had very impressive visuals, i watched it in 2D but visuals were really good, however, the movie lacks something called life, this movie didn't focus on anything and movies like that usually suck (such as the Dark Knight), and like the Dark Knight, it lacks an emotional feeling or purpose, barely worth watching in DVD or TV.
  69. PeterB
    May 28, 2010
    I can see how this movie may have charmed 7-year-old children across the world. The rest of us ought to be ashamed of such a foolish adaptation of Carroll's work of art. For those of you doting on Depp's performance, I suggest you see Blow, Finding Neverland, or even Edward Scissorhands as you will be in for a treat. Let's just hope that the novelty of 3D movies fades I can see how this movie may have charmed 7-year-old children across the world. The rest of us ought to be ashamed of such a foolish adaptation of Carroll's work of art. For those of you doting on Depp's performance, I suggest you see Blow, Finding Neverland, or even Edward Scissorhands as you will be in for a treat. Let's just hope that the novelty of 3D movies fades quickly so that Hollywood has to return to writing, directing, and acting out quality screenplays. Expand
  70. KennyF
    May 30, 2010
    Entertaining and spectacular 3-d!
  71. StevenL
    Jun 7, 2010
    What makes this movie so miserably awful, in addition to its incoherent narrative,l is its contrast with our high expectations for each new Tim Burton film . Yet, this time the commercial demands of keeping up with the Jones', or Cameron's, commercially and technologically, snuffed any chance this chaotic fantasy might have had. One can only hope that Mr. Burton rediscovers his What makes this movie so miserably awful, in addition to its incoherent narrative,l is its contrast with our high expectations for each new Tim Burton film . Yet, this time the commercial demands of keeping up with the Jones', or Cameron's, commercially and technologically, snuffed any chance this chaotic fantasy might have had. One can only hope that Mr. Burton rediscovers his innovative voice and rejoins his deserved place in the pantheon of post modern cinema. Expand
  72. XavierO.
    Mar 14, 2010
    I was very very disappointed. The humor was bland, the whole story seemed rushed, i just did not find the movie to be anything near good. The only plus was the beautiful atmospheres and art, but other than that, i was hoping and waiting the movie would end sooner.
  73. lisac
    Mar 17, 2010
    I saw this movie with an open mind, despite the reviews. Felt the acting and filming were excellent. I was spellbound, and brought into Alice's world.
  74. GlennS
    Mar 21, 2010
    Visually Alice in Wonderland a treat but, the story was disappointingly pedestrian, boring, predictable, a story by numbers. Couldn't wait for it to be over. The 3-D added very little to the experience. Johnny Depp's weakest movie in a while.
  75. AndrewW
    May 29, 2010
    Absolutely disappointing. I realize that the original maker of Alice in Wonderland was tripping on LSD and raping a girl named alice, but that doesn't give tim burton the right to ruin a classic movie. There wasn't even a Wonderland. Hello the name of the movie is alice IN WONDERLAND. Instead the movie was like a long acid trip that in the end was just upseting. I wouldn't Absolutely disappointing. I realize that the original maker of Alice in Wonderland was tripping on LSD and raping a girl named alice, but that doesn't give tim burton the right to ruin a classic movie. There wasn't even a Wonderland. Hello the name of the movie is alice IN WONDERLAND. Instead the movie was like a long acid trip that in the end was just upseting. I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone. If you want to see Alice in Wonderland watch the original. if you are going to remake a movie at least keep the main point of the movie in the new one. for this movie it is Wonderland and Wonderland isn't in the new movie. EPIC F*CKING FAIL TIM BURTON. Expand
  76. RafaelB
    May 31, 2010
    This movie is completely devoid of soul and purpose. When the movie ends you realize just how uninspiring it is, leaving little to no mark on you. It's so standard and expected. You can tell how the story ends from shot 1. I'm afraid this is 100% forgettable movie and you should definitely check out something more worthy of your time.
  77. Aug 11, 2010
    It is a perfectly acceptable film, but I couldn't escape the feeling that so much more could have been done with such potent material. This is, after all, Tim Burton doing Alice in Wonderland! Why wasn't I blown away?
  78. Aug 16, 2010
    Tim Burton's update of the classic Lewis Carroll tale "Alice in Wonderland" is an inspired work it embodies everything that makes Burton a master and what makes him a genius at the art of dark fantasy. While this sequel ,or re Imagining, if you would like to call it, is a dark morbid fantasy film that while may lack the wide eyed child enthusiasm of the 1951 Walt Disney animatedTim Burton's update of the classic Lewis Carroll tale "Alice in Wonderland" is an inspired work it embodies everything that makes Burton a master and what makes him a genius at the art of dark fantasy. While this sequel ,or re Imagining, if you would like to call it, is a dark morbid fantasy film that while may lack the wide eyed child enthusiasm of the 1951 Walt Disney animated production it still keeps the adventure, the fun and the charm of the original production and book. What I liked most about it was the dry sense of humor infused into this classic story, but also I like the fact that it does not try to be more than what it is; it does not try to be some audacious fantasy film. Instead, it settles for an above average Burton film with a lighthearted side, while retaining the amazing visuals and stylish pace that is expected of Tim Burton. "Alice in Wonderland" may not impress everyone but for those who like some visually appealing dark fantasy films with a good-hearted story to them. "Alice in Wonderlandâ Expand
  79. Oct 4, 2010
    Tim Burton's re-imagining of Lewis Carroll's classic fairytale using his inevitable dark ,Gothic style. Really enjoyed this and it's a mixture of the original book & Through the Looking Glass. As expected, the visuals are brilliantly surreal, voice acting great & with Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham-Carter hamming it up as the Mad Hatter & Red Queen respectively. Danny Elfman's score plays aTim Burton's re-imagining of Lewis Carroll's classic fairytale using his inevitable dark ,Gothic style. Really enjoyed this and it's a mixture of the original book & Through the Looking Glass. As expected, the visuals are brilliantly surreal, voice acting great & with Johnny Depp & Helena Bonham-Carter hamming it up as the Mad Hatter & Red Queen respectively. Danny Elfman's score plays a big part too in keeping the tone as he's done with most of Burton's work. Expand
  80. Aug 19, 2010
    You know why I don't like this movie at all? Just because of those stupid ads they have on the internet! They're annoying(just because I saw them a billion times on the internet)! I'd never watch this at all! EVER!!!
  81. Aug 23, 2010
    A Terrible deception...Tim Burton...what happened in this movie?
    The music is fantastic (Danny Elfman is brilliant) and the vissual effects are amazing but...what happened with the history? there's no emotion and sorry but it's a little boring...a terrible deception.
  82. Aug 28, 2010
    Horrifying. It's as if the movie's entire purpose was to reinforce the dominant paradigm rather than deny it, and all the while take deliberate measure to mock the unfortunate. The Red Queen character was the only one that felt remotely human, and she was swiftly disposed of with sadist cruelty. The White Queen, for someone who supposedly was the image of purity, was of a condescending,Horrifying. It's as if the movie's entire purpose was to reinforce the dominant paradigm rather than deny it, and all the while take deliberate measure to mock the unfortunate. The Red Queen character was the only one that felt remotely human, and she was swiftly disposed of with sadist cruelty. The White Queen, for someone who supposedly was the image of purity, was of a condescending, arrogant, and spiteful brand. Alice herself just falls back into others' expectations by slaying the Jabberwocky, which is itself a hardly thoughtful and tedious motion to forge some sort of third act; needless to say, the bit at the end is an offense to the Chinese deserving of harsh reprimand. Expand
  83. Nov 3, 2010
    I have to say Johnny Depp did a great job in the movie, but thats about it. what really ruined the story was the actress who played Alice. she was boring and did not make you want to keep watching the movie. the graphics and animation were excellent though.
  84. Mar 7, 2013
    I'm really mixed on this movie. On one end the art style looks cool capturing the strangeness of Wonderland quite nicely. Plus, it's nice that the film was not a rehash of the previous Disney version of the film. On the other hand though I did not care too much about the characters and the story. Plus, the story telling felt a little cliche for me. Overall, decent flick not going toI'm really mixed on this movie. On one end the art style looks cool capturing the strangeness of Wonderland quite nicely. Plus, it's nice that the film was not a rehash of the previous Disney version of the film. On the other hand though I did not care too much about the characters and the story. Plus, the story telling felt a little cliche for me. Overall, decent flick not going to recommend it and I'm not going to say do not see it because I do not feel strongly towards one side or the other. I'm going to say is see it in 3D if you can because there are a lot of 3Dish shots in the film. Expand
  85. Dec 30, 2010
    While I saw the original 1951 animated film when I was a child, and had the LP that told the story in an abridged form during my younger years, I've never read the Lewis Carroll novels, nor do I really remember much from Walt Disney's original masterpiece. What I can attest to is how beautiful and entertaining Tim Burton's version was. I've read several reviews from those who did not careWhile I saw the original 1951 animated film when I was a child, and had the LP that told the story in an abridged form during my younger years, I've never read the Lewis Carroll novels, nor do I really remember much from Walt Disney's original masterpiece. What I can attest to is how beautiful and entertaining Tim Burton's version was. I've read several reviews from those who did not care much about this film. Those who hated the deviation from the original story. Those who hated the deviation from the animated film. Those who thought it was another fantastical, yet watered down, version of Tim Burton's imagination.

I suppose all of those opinions could be true. However, while I can understand how tired it is to continue seeing Depp in a lot of makeup and playing what appears to be the same character with a different voice in yet another Tim Burton movie, the fact is, this was a Disney feature film. It wasn't budgeted for Tim to go all "Tim Burton" on it. It needed to appeal to kids and adults alike, and this film greatly achieved that. Disney is using the most colorful and imaginative director to bring to life another Disney classic in order to achieve the same success as Pirates of the Caribbean. Adults and children alike are very familiar with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, so to have expected anything more than what was delivered was unrealistic. To go farther Tim Burtonesque would have resulted in a movie Disney would not have been able to market. To move further away from Tim Burton would have watered down what Tim is good at. The visuals, action and theatrics of Alice in Wonderland were the perfect mix of original story, contemporary taste and modern talents. No one else could have pulled this film off better.
  86. Nov 2, 2010
    I remember one year, Target had copies of Santa Clause Conquers The Martians. I bought this, and then proceeded to watch it at my home. I got a few minutes into it before I realized I had seen this movie before. It seems Mystery Science Theater 3 Thousand had already covered this movie. This movie was so bad, it had already gone down in legend. There is not 1 redeeming feature in thatI remember one year, Target had copies of Santa Clause Conquers The Martians. I bought this, and then proceeded to watch it at my home. I got a few minutes into it before I realized I had seen this movie before. It seems Mystery Science Theater 3 Thousand had already covered this movie. This movie was so bad, it had already gone down in legend. There is not 1 redeeming feature in that movie. I enjoyed Manos: Hand of Fate more than Santa Clause Conquers The Martians.

Alice in Wonderland is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.
  87. Sep 28, 2010
    Mainstream Hollywood is entering an era of ridiculous amounts of CGI effects and unfathomable budgets. After watching an outlandishly gaudy Avatar and Tim Burton's atrocious animation film 9, Alice In Wonderland wasn't so promising. But to my surprise, Alice shows that there is modest hope, not a lot, in this ill-fated generation of movies.

After an average attempt in recreating a

After an average attempt in recreating a classic with Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Tim Burton tries to use his whimsical touch with a beloved Disney classic. But instead of simply remaking it, Tim Burton tells a story of his own, an addition to Lewis Carroll's 19th century novels. In Alice In Wonderland, Alice returns to the magical world with minimal memory of actually ever visiting this place. In this second venture, Alice reunites with the Mad Hatter and friends to end the tyrannical reign of The Red Queen. On the way, Alice learns the meaning of her mysterious memories and finds out who she really is (cliche, I know).

Alice In Wonderland has some positive attributes that redeems the subject matter. Its greatest aspect is its star-studded cast, which is probably the main attraction of the film. The Mad Hatter, portrayed by Johnny Depp, is a mishmash of characters Captain Jack Sparrow and Willy Wonka. As ridiculous as that sounds, he pulls it off as he does in almost every Depp-Burton collaboration. Helena Carter (The Red Queen), puts so much personality into the character, that her continuous exclamations of "Off With The Head" were not bothersome, but entertaining every time. Finally, Mia Wasikowska shows Vanity Fair correct in that she's an Actress To Watch. Although having annoying dialogue at several parts of the film, she shows that she can act and bring life to a beloved Disney character with her realness and believability. Another great quality of the film is its soundtrack. Just as it did in films such as Batman Returns, Danny Elfman's composition makes the audience really like they're in an alternate world with its lovely orchestral sound. Also, the dialogue really complements the original characters as well.

Although Alice In Wonderland possesses many great qualities, there are several noticeable flaws. There are some minor blemishes in the plot that are questionable. Why is Alice without knowledge of her previous venture to Wonderland? Even in a flashback, she thinks that they are just nightmares. How does Alice keep on thinking that the whole adventure is a dream? The movie shows a lapse of about a week, is it not obvious that a dream is not this extensive? Lastly, the main flaw is the first half's lack of magic. The first act of the movie is not colorful at all and is ultimately dull. Yes, The Red Queen's corrupt rule has affected this world, but can it not be slightly more appealing. The visuals of this portion of the movie cannot match the vibrant world of Pandora in Avatar, leading the audience to question, where is the wonder? Not until the protagonists reach the castle of The Red Queen is it as rich as its animated original. When it reaches this point, the CGI really complements the world. Keep in mind that I did not watch the movie in 3D, so I might be incorrect. But the dullness is so apparent, I do not think a multidimensional view would make much of a difference. These are flaws that can possibly be overlooked, but the main problem is Tim Burton. Burton makes a film pleasing to the eye and senses, but it definitely doesn't attach itself to the audience like Burton's past films. Why can't we connect with any of the character as we did with Edward Scissorhands? Why can't we sympathize with The Red Queen as we did with DeVito's Penguin? This cannot be simply shrugged off because the director every moviegoer knows as a visionary is simply conforming into Hollywood.

Overall, Alice In Wonderland is a film with more quality than other films with similar ridiculous budgets, which in all actuality is not saying too much. It definitely isn't on par with Burton's true great films in the way it tugs at the viewer's emotions, but even though it has its flaws, its great cast makes it worthy of 2 hours of your weekend.
  88. Nov 2, 2010
    I loved this movie and I don't care what people think! This was a great movie, the style, and atmosphere created was dark and at the same time pretty. I specially loved the queen. This movie is simple fun with a very pretty art style.
  89. Oct 4, 2010
    It is not quite as brilliant as I expected. Johnny Depp's creation of the Mad Hatter is wonderful, but it seems to dominate the film, where as Mia Wasikowska's 'Alice' was just as great a character to watch. It is unfortunate too that the film ends with a large action sequence that seems to downgrade the film overall, however the quirkiness and amazing visuals of the film, and the charmIt is not quite as brilliant as I expected. Johnny Depp's creation of the Mad Hatter is wonderful, but it seems to dominate the film, where as Mia Wasikowska's 'Alice' was just as great a character to watch. It is unfortunate too that the film ends with a large action sequence that seems to downgrade the film overall, however the quirkiness and amazing visuals of the film, and the charm that is nevertheless existent despite its flaws, overcomes these. The stand out performance comes from Helena Bonham Carter, whose wonderful interpretation of the Red Queen is hilarious rather than villainous. It is, so far, one of the best films of the year so far and definitely worth watching. Expand
  90. Nov 23, 2010
    Movie is just an attractive and appealing picture, unfortunately it contains nothing valuable. One time see movie, will not watch it again. '3D' added just to be. Average
  91. Nov 24, 2010
    C'est une mauvaise adaptation. Un point c'est tout. Les premiers films de Tim Burton restent des chefs-d'oeuvre comparés à cette chose sans forme. Si vous avez adoré Charlie Et La Chocolaterie vous aimerez surement cette version d'Alice. Ce n'est évidemment pas mon cas.
  92. Nov 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Half Of this point goes to johnny depp and the other half point goes to helena bonham carter, no problems with them at all. However having never even read the book, I will say that other than the two aforementioned actors this film was garbage. It had no direction, the main character was left completely undeveloped, the actress playing the main character had no screen presence let alone confidence in her role, there was no sense of tension, I'm pretty sure something called a bandersnatch (which my mother informs me was not ever seen in the book) is not supposed to be and endeared loveable dog thing, it turned into another uneededly epic underdog story at the end, with unspoken potential for romance between the pimary female and male lead (oh disney you never fail to do this), there were a ton of unecessary characters who DID not pull their weight (spastic rabbit thing, mouse, other rabbit thing, the goddamn dog {aww he has a family, how lovingly manipulative} and the fat boys) Ughh and she does one of those disney things where she goes and tells everyone whats what at the end of the film all things which could have been concluded at the beginning of the film and i would have forgiven it ALL IF THE GODDAMN JABBERWOCK WASNT A GODDAMN DRAGON!! AGHH EVERYTHING IS A DRAGON MY DAMN COFFEE TABLE IS A DRAGON! MY EBONY COA COA BUTTER CO*CHIE IS A DRAGON MY IMAGINARY NEPHEW IS A DAMN DRAGON! Expand
  93. Dec 2, 2010
    In the creative mind of director Tim Burton I say bravo. These graphics show that is mind thinks in very strange ways. The acting and the screenplay were rough in areas and great in others. Some of the time you just sit there and wonder "Is this ever going to move on??" and other parts you think "Holy crap this is great!!" It really depends how you look at this movie to know if you loveIn the creative mind of director Tim Burton I say bravo. These graphics show that is mind thinks in very strange ways. The acting and the screenplay were rough in areas and great in others. Some of the time you just sit there and wonder "Is this ever going to move on??" and other parts you think "Holy crap this is great!!" It really depends how you look at this movie to know if you love it, hate it, or thought it was good. for me i thought it was good but certain parts of me wished they made the first part and then this part next. Expand
  94. Mar 26, 2011
    Another classic story that Tim Burton messes up by making it dark, don't get me wrong I've always wanted to see the story of Alice in Wonderland in a more mature setting about her sanity slipping, but it doesn't do that it just tries to make it an action movie with a darker tone, but fails because it doesn't make any sense, the reason I didn't enjoy it is because they have the setting, butAnother classic story that Tim Burton messes up by making it dark, don't get me wrong I've always wanted to see the story of Alice in Wonderland in a more mature setting about her sanity slipping, but it doesn't do that it just tries to make it an action movie with a darker tone, but fails because it doesn't make any sense, the reason I didn't enjoy it is because they have the setting, but they don't have the all characters as they should, I only like one character and that was not enough to save the movie from failure. Expand
  95. Feb 2, 2011
    I expected a good movie from Tim Burton and walked out with just that. Although I didn't find the picture groundbreaking, it was solid and creative, while closely relating with the original and the books. There were no weak performances by any of the cast, especially Johnny Depp's perception of the Mad Hatter. His performance was phenomenal and may garner him some actual critical acclaim.I expected a good movie from Tim Burton and walked out with just that. Although I didn't find the picture groundbreaking, it was solid and creative, while closely relating with the original and the books. There were no weak performances by any of the cast, especially Johnny Depp's perception of the Mad Hatter. His performance was phenomenal and may garner him some actual critical acclaim. The story line was creative, the lines were witty, and the digital effects were done magnificently. The only problem I had was with the blatant attempts to showcase the 3-D aspect of the film. They had moments where things flew out into the audience or where dragons snapped their jaws, which, in my opinion, is not the proper way to use the 3-D creation. I prefer the way it was used in "Up", where the 3-D effects were used only to enhance the quality of the movie, not to have things flying at the audience. Despite this minor flaw, the movie was very well done. My hat's off to you Mr. Burton. Expand
  96. Jan 10, 2011
    Finally, I saw ALICE IN WONDERLAND the movie that I have been waiting for such a long time. The tale about nineteen years old Alice following the white rabbit, to find her destiny back in Wonderland that now ruled by Red Queen. The movie directed by Tim Burton, the man specialty in eye candy and delight visualization. Thiz movie is the seventh collaboration with Johnny Depp as his mainFinally, I saw ALICE IN WONDERLAND the movie that I have been waiting for such a long time. The tale about nineteen years old Alice following the white rabbit, to find her destiny back in Wonderland that now ruled by Red Queen. The movie directed by Tim Burton, the man specialty in eye candy and delight visualization. Thiz movie is the seventh collaboration with Johnny Depp as his main Cast, after EDWARD SCISSORHANDS (1990), ED WOOD (1994), SLEEPY HOLLOW (1999), CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY (2005), CORPSE BRIDE (2005), and SWEENEY TODD: THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET (2007). His other masterpiece features are: BEETLE JUICE (1988), BATMAN (1989) and BIG FISH (2003). Thiz movie supported by various Casts like: Anne Hathaway, Crispin Glover, Michael Sheen, Alan Rickman, and Mia Wasikowska as Alice. The most powerful performance in thiz movie is Big Head Red Queen character, which played amazingly wicked and funny at the same time by Helena Bonham Carter (is about the same character on Lord Farquaad in first SHREK (2001)). Bonham Carter performance exceeds Depp appearance. Her existence saves the movie for overall. Beside that I did not feel any emotions on thiz film, everything was flat. Actually, thiz movie did not supported by good script. It might, the worse script that came to Tim Burton desk in these past twenty years of his career, despite the visualization is A-class. The story is an alternate version of Alice originally written by Lewis Caroll. thiz version did not carry such a thrill and interesting plots. In the final scene (Spoiler Alert!), give Alice a sword and knight armor to slay a dragon? It is definitely not a good option. The change is too radical, soft and tender Alice that builds from the beginning, suddenly take an incisive turn over. The flip over so hard that possibly had become its own boomerang itself.

Visit My Blog on JONNY'S MOVEE : http://jonnyfendi.blogspot.com
  97. Feb 3, 2011
    this movie wasn't horrible and it wasn't great but it did show the scenes as a magical area and i loved how Johnny Depp played the mad hater but over all it was interesting.
  98. May 29, 2011
    Alice in Wonderland is a very pleasant movie. The movie passed without me blinking, there was no dull moment what so ever. By the time it reached signs of the "end" I asked myself, has it been 5 minutes yet? The movie puts you in a very interesting world with strange places and characters. The music in this film was the best music I've heard in a movie in a long time. The acting wasAlice in Wonderland is a very pleasant movie. The movie passed without me blinking, there was no dull moment what so ever. By the time it reached signs of the "end" I asked myself, has it been 5 minutes yet? The movie puts you in a very interesting world with strange places and characters. The music in this film was the best music I've heard in a movie in a long time. The acting was amusing and little details about the characters' personalities was made in a very smart fashion that will keep you entertained through out the movie. I give Alice in Wonderland a 6 or 7 for all the fun that I had watching it, I wished it was 1 hour longer. Expand
  99. Mar 7, 2011
    I'd break this movie down into the following components: 1. Story: Three and a Half Stars; >>>> 2. Acting: Three Stars; Competent but not groundbreaking; >>>> 3. Sound and Visuals: Four Stars; Gorgeous but sometimes "too unreal." Yes that's an odd statement for a fantasy film. What I mean by this is that some times you are too aware that it is not real, in that it seems artificial.I'd break this movie down into the following components: 1. Story: Three and a Half Stars; >>>> 2. Acting: Three Stars; Competent but not groundbreaking; >>>> 3. Sound and Visuals: Four Stars; Gorgeous but sometimes "too unreal." Yes that's an odd statement for a fantasy film. What I mean by this is that some times you are too aware that it is not real, in that it seems artificial. Well done effects can mute the aspect of artificiality, as I feel was done better in the second and third "Lord of the Rings films."; >>>> 4. Gestalt: The movie does not excel the sum of its components, as few films do. An example of one that does is "The King's Speech." >>>> My full cinema profile here: http://bit.ly/MyMovies Expand
  100. Apr 11, 2011
    This movie totally rocked. Johnny Depp, Mia however you spell her last name, Helena Bonham Carter and Anne Hathaway i think did a fantastic job. This was one of my favorites of 2010.

1. A fantastical romp that proves every bit as transporting as that movie about the blue people of Pandora, his "Alice" is more than just a gorgeous 3D sight to behold.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For all its clever design, beguiling creatures and witty actors, the picture feels far more conventional than it should; it's a Disney film illustrated by Burton, rather than a Burton film that happens to be released by Disney.
  3. Tim Burton, plus Alice, plus 3D equals an unforgettable, one-of-a-kind movie experience. It will clean up.