6.5

1. BrianE.
    Jan 28, 2005
    Aliens of the Deep is a new James Cameron movie released in a 3-D IMAX format, limiting it to a few theaters capable of that projection. And its short, about 47 minutes. Still those minutes pack a lot. Its about scientists, astronomers and marine biologists alike, being submerged to the oceans darkest depths and shining light to life forms and geology probably never before seen. And its Aliens of the Deep is a new James Cameron movie released in a 3-D IMAX format, limiting it to a few theaters capable of that projection. And its short, about 47 minutes. Still those minutes pack a lot. Its about scientists, astronomers and marine biologists alike, being submerged to the oceans darkest depths and shining light to life forms and geology probably never before seen. And its again, in 3D, so floating plankton and bubbles and tiny crawling crabs seem to be inches from your eyes. The worlds unseen monsters, albeit usually tiny, run from, ignore, or are attracted to the foreign light of the explorers pods. Between the technology and the beasts, its absolutely incredible. Were reminded, and the later Dec 26 tsunami brings home the point, what a unsettled planet this is, showing what water that cant boil due to pressure does. Later, the film points out in scientists best guesses, there is no life without water, and our best space exploration odds of finding life are seeking astral bodies with water. And it projects what those future explorations might involve. Its a fantastic film I cant recommend enough. Whats really sad about this movie, though, is due to its 3D IMAX format, itll probably be seen by a tiny fraction of people that might have checked out, "Bootycall" instead. 3D or not, this film should be in every school curriculum. Check it out. You owe it to yourself to see what some scientists say about the world you live in. You wont be sorry, I promise you that. O. Rated G. Expand
  2. BrittanyD.
    Mar 21, 2005
    Pretty good. The 3-D is amazing and the sea creatures are cool. the worst part is that the scientists just keep blabering and dont show enough of the life forms. It killed 45 minutes though. Go see it! Its kinda fun and youll learn more about our planet. ^_^
  3. SeamusF.
    Jan 28, 2005
    The underwater sequences are unreal, although you may tire of hearing people say, "Wow! Beautiful!" over and over again. Although this would be fascinating on its own, Cameron feels the need to apply "astrobiology" (a field that's almost entirely speculative) to everything, including some ridiculous alien CGI. But the deep-sea wildlife are amazing.
  4. PeterJ.
    Mar 13, 2006
    I was bored out of my mind throughout this movie. I understand they had to make the movie longer, but the commentarywas amazingly boring.
  5. Feb 15, 2014
    Cameron does show in a documentary, what It's like doing the job that he does to the best of his abilities. Which is good enough as it is. But other than that it's just a regular documentary about the ocean, what's in it, and what people do to explore it.
  6. RoH.
    Feb 1, 2005
    A very silly way to deal with awesome material. Let's hear scientists ooh and ahh like idiots. Let's pretend ET lives underwater in a make believe ocean city. If you want to see a beautfiul film about the ocean depths, look for the IMAX movie exploring why the coral reefs are dying. Sorry I don't have the name.
  7. HerbertD.
    Jan 27, 2005
    Great images in the middle... but the rest is BAD. The science is made up. Some of the 3D hurts your eyes.
  8. FrankB.
    Jan 29, 2005
    A 10 for five minutes a great footage, a minus 10 for the rest of the movie. There is no focus. Where are we? What are we looking at? What's the point? And what's with the kid's cartoon alien characters at the end of the movie.
  9. BeverlyK.
    Jan 28, 2005
    6 great shots of unusual sea creatures does not make a movie. The science was often times wrong. The story was boring. The 6 shots were great.

1. All in all, it's a fascinating, kid-friendly journey.
  2. Gorgeous as the underwater life-forms are, the excitement of Aliens of the Deep comes from that most old-school, low-tech of elements: real human beings.
  3. Fans of Arthur C. Clarke may be pleased, but fans of serious biology may bust out laughing at the goofily rendered aliens who show up.