9.0

1. Aug 23, 2010
    Ripley wakes up 57 years after the original film, bad nightmares, colonies now on LV-426, lose contact, marines go in, action-a-go-go!!
    Sequel to Ridley Scott's masterpiece. It's not as creepy & maybe not as dark but the larger than life Marines, number of Aliens & fast dialogue make it big, loud & a lot of fun to watch.
    After watching it again recently it's interesting to see how many
    After watching it again recently it's interesting to see how many video games have used this film as an influence.
  2. Nov 9, 2010
    I saw this for the first time like 10 years a go and even then as a small child I still knew it was a good movie. The whole cast were brilliant, the directing ; well forget about Titanic and Avatar and James Cameron is one hell of a director/writer. He wrote the initial script and brought this whole thing to life in fantastic shape, his best film by a mile. Taking the idea of one Alien andI saw this for the first time like 10 years a go and even then as a small child I still knew it was a good movie. The whole cast were brilliant, the directing ; well forget about Titanic and Avatar and James Cameron is one hell of a director/writer. He wrote the initial script and brought this whole thing to life in fantastic shape, his best film by a mile. Taking the idea of one Alien and having a whole army of them is one thing, but making it as horrifying and more action packed is a truly magnificent achievement. The Aliens themselves look absolutely terrifying and the way some of the shots were filmed were absolute genius. Alien was 10 and so is this. I don't think this is better than Alien, but this, Alien and 2001 are equally the best sci-fi films ever made. Watch this film. Expand
  3. Sep 29, 2011
    "Aliens" is nevertheless a amazing film that beats its prequel. It has the same tense moments, but director James Cameron even skillfully added blockbuster components, making "Aliens" a more braver and bolder film then its prequel.
  4. Aug 3, 2012
    James Cameron wrote a **** script, and it shows as this film gets cheesier and cheesier as the years go by and Alien gets better and better as the years go by. Some of the acting was absolutely horrible, and the story was uninteresting, and lacked emotion. I wont deny that this was a fun action ride, but it doesn't even come close to Ridley Scott's film, and is not part of the franchise inJames Cameron wrote a **** script, and it shows as this film gets cheesier and cheesier as the years go by and Alien gets better and better as the years go by. Some of the acting was absolutely horrible, and the story was uninteresting, and lacked emotion. I wont deny that this was a fun action ride, but it doesn't even come close to Ridley Scott's film, and is not part of the franchise in my opinion. I own the Quadrilogy, and have watched these films probably like 50 times in my life time, and its funny how my first impressions of them have changed so much, and how the really good stuff just got better, but the hidden crap under James Cameron's film just started leaking out over time. Would have given it a higher score as an entertaining action film, but since its the sequel to a fantastic Art film, and it lacks any art on any level it completely fails. Expand
  5. Oct 3, 2010
    As an action film there are few better than Aliens, but a a sequel to Alien it hugely disappoints. There are few actual scares, of course there are thrilling action sequences, but nothing like the original nerve shredding moments in Alien. It also destroys the representation of the Alien itself. We barely see it in Alien and when we do we are terrified for the characters and the threat ofAs an action film there are few better than Aliens, but a a sequel to Alien it hugely disappoints. There are few actual scares, of course there are thrilling action sequences, but nothing like the original nerve shredding moments in Alien. It also destroys the representation of the Alien itself. We barely see it in Alien and when we do we are terrified for the characters and the threat of the Alien coming back to Earth is actually scary. In Aliens the creatures are mere cannon fodder, only in large numbers can the be intimidating. As action movie Aliens reigns supreme but as a sci fi or horror its older brother Alien is the one to watch. Expand
  6. Aug 29, 2010
    God, this movie is intense. But it's so awesome! Brilliantly directed by the great James Cameron, this movie is quite as scary or suspenseful as the first one, but it makes up for it and then some with action on top of action, great writing, great acting, great set design, and awesome special effects and turned into a heck of a kick-ass roller coaster ride!!!
  7. Aug 13, 2010
    Awesome movie. A good film mixed with scary sci-fi and deadly action. Mysteries build up in the discoveries and you feel that you are part of the group of humans and you are about to die. 8.4/10
  8. Aug 21, 2010
    James camron ... the mans a genous what more can you say about him. this film was fairly low budget and is a sequel to ridley scotts Alien film which was pretty good . so things on the start wouldnt seem so good for a sequel . not for camron he took a already good film and made it way better . how you ask well instead of one alien he adds hundreds and toss in some action with a group ofJames camron ... the mans a genous what more can you say about him. this film was fairly low budget and is a sequel to ridley scotts Alien film which was pretty good . so things on the start wouldnt seem so good for a sequel . not for camron he took a already good film and made it way better . how you ask well instead of one alien he adds hundreds and toss in some action with a group of armed marines and you got one hell of a action horror movie that picks up and keeps moving foward and keeps getting better . the acting is great and weaver as rippley is truelly the most bad ass heroin of all time . so many great lines from this film i could go on and on listing them . this is a true roller coster ride film that doesnt dissapoint . for being as old as it is (i think 1984) it holds up and holds up well. with a final battle in the end that feels epic and leaves you feeling like you just saw one hell of a good film . its to bad camron wasnt involved with the other films . because this is the last of the good alien films in this franchise . Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2011
    Aliens is a worthy sequel to an already classic horror film. It differs slightly from Alien from the fact that it is more of an action movie in comparison to Alien, which is a suspense, sci-fi horror movie. No doubt, it still retains some horror elements like the fact that the Aliens and facehuggers haven't changed in appearance and the disgusting Alien breeding process. However, evenAliens is a worthy sequel to an already classic horror film. It differs slightly from Alien from the fact that it is more of an action movie in comparison to Alien, which is a suspense, sci-fi horror movie. No doubt, it still retains some horror elements like the fact that the Aliens and facehuggers haven't changed in appearance and the disgusting Alien breeding process. However, even though this movie retains the same horrifying characters from the previous film, it's not as scary. Going down, the action route, I could where James Cameron was going. Because there are now loads of Aliens, they can afford to have loads of action and shootouts with the Aliens and still not be rid of the creepy creatures. If Alien was an action movie and the scientists were marines, it would be only about 5 minutes after the Alien had reached adulthood because there is only one Alien. This film introduces the Alien Queen, which now gives us a good explanation of how the Alien race came to be and how those dreaded facehuggers were made. I toughly enjoyed the plot and it moves at a faster pace from the previous film; no waiting for something to happen, although it takes a while for Ripley and the marines to find the Alien hideout. James Cameron has written a really good story and I found it really enjoyable to see Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) emerge as a determined, tough heroine, trying to protect Newt and battle against the Alien scum. Ripley forms a bond with this little girl and the final scene is a highlight of this fact, where Ripley has a one on one battle in a mech against the Alien Queen (which is pi**ssed off because Ripley torched all of her precious eggs). This sets the stage for a pretty satisfying climax to what is actually quite a long movie, longer than the first one. The line, "Get away from her you Bi**h" that Ripley says when a close up of her is shown while she is in the mech is possibly the best line in this movie; I love the way she raises her voice when she says the word "Bi**h!" It's almost like she's saying, "bring it on" in a rather more intimidating and threatning way. Ripley was definately scared of going after the Aliens with the marines at the start of the movie but she then learns to confront her own fear. The sets are again, astonishing and expand on the scope from the first Aliens. The special effects are really good; like the Aliens design and the fire effects of the machine guns that the marines use. This movie is just as violent as the first movie and one scene just made me go "Ugggh"; the scene when the android, Bishop gets sliced in half by the Alien Queen and this "Milk" substance pours out of his nostrils and mouth. James Cameron has made the right choice to make this an action movie rather than a suspense horror film because I couldn't really see what he could have done more with the Alien character in that situation. Although, this action packed take on the Alien series would be abandoned and return to the slow, suspenseful film in the next Alien film, Alien 3. In my opinion, Aliens is a brilliant sci-fi movie and is overall, the best Alien film I enjoyed in the series. Expand
  10. May 26, 2011
    "In space no one can hear you scream". This was the tagline for the 1979 cult classic movie Alien. Well now its new tagline is, "This time it's war". When I first saw Alien, I was blown away completely by its intense story, great special effects and superb acting, and I thought there is no way they can top this, but I was wrong. Its sequel, Aliens, is as terrifying and exiting, with twice"In space no one can hear you scream". This was the tagline for the 1979 cult classic movie Alien. Well now its new tagline is, "This time it's war". When I first saw Alien, I was blown away completely by its intense story, great special effects and superb acting, and I thought there is no way they can top this, but I was wrong. Its sequel, Aliens, is as terrifying and exiting, with twice the amount of action. The story takes place 57 years after the events of the first film, where Ripley escaped in the pod and ejected the alien into deep space. Having drifted into space for so long, she is rescued by a bunch of space crew members. Although trying to convince to the executives from her employer the events that occurred, even explaining how her crew got killed, they refuse to believe her and as a result terminate her space flight license. Ripley also discovers that the planet, where her former crew first found the alien, is now home to a colony of co workers, with women and children. Later Ripley is visited by one of the executive staff named Burke and a Lieutenant, who informs her that they have lost contact with the colony on the planet. They plan to send a number of marines, led by the Lieutenant, to investigate what is going on, and they would like Ripley to be their consultant. Hesitant at first, Ripley and Burke come to a deal that as long as they don't bring any unknown creature back to the ship and her space flight license is restored, she will accompany them. Once they land and investigate the colony, the marines discover that the co workers have all been killed by some horrific creature, Ripley suspects with no surprise at all, that this was done by the aliens. They then encounter a survivor, a little girl called Newt who informs them that everyone else is dead. At first in shock and trauma - even refusing to speak to anyone, finally starts talking, but only to Ripley as she somewhat feels more protected around her. Then all hell breaks loose, as the aliens surround the marines, as they attempt to fight them off with their pulse rifles. This film retains its special effects from the first film; there are great shots in out of space (even though we only see bits of them for a few seconds in the first 30 minutes), and of course those fabulous designs of the aliens. They look somewhat a little different, and in my opinion better, than the design for the first alien. The performance from the cast is once superb, especially from Sigourney Weaver; she has really upped her game from the last time. In the first film she was like an outsider from the rest of the crew, but in this one she is really the main star. She's like a female Bruce Willis in the Die Hard movies, because she is more fearless then ever when it comes to facing the aliens, especially the final battle which I will not reveal. Besides Sigourney Weaver, the little girl who plays Newt is bright and delightful; she really does a terrific performance when it comes to those traumatic moments. The bond between Ripley and Newt develops into a Mother and Daughter relationship, and we really care about them more than we do of the others. As well as action and thriller, there's also a real heart to this film. Also the sound effects are brilliant; I love the sound that comes out from those pulse rifles. Usually when it comes to sequels, all they do is copy all the ideas from the first film and rip themselves off the next time. At the time it came to the conclusion that sequels could never be as good, or better, and Aliens could have easily fallen into the same trap, but for once it didn't. James Cameron, remembered from making the brilliant Sci-fi 1984 movie Terminator, has not only directed, but also written an unbelievable script. I gave full credit to him for coming up with the idea of this incredible new story, I really think it's that good to be up there on one of those top 10 best Sci-fi action movies of all time. This is defiantly one of the best I have seen in all movies that I have watched in my time. Expand
  11. Dec 29, 2012
    Where a copy of the original would have gone wrong completely, this takes a great horror movie and turns into a gripping action story with remarkably memorable characters, gripping dialogue, and ramps up the horror to eleven.
  12. Jul 5, 2012
    "Choke on it and die already!" Words intended to quiet down a guy that was loudly chomping on pop corn during the early suspense scenes of this film. I've held on to those words with fondness. They symbolize the undying hunger in audiences for a good ass kicking film. And back in the day, this one kicked ass like no other.
    I had read the script to this film and wondered where those
    I had read the script to this film and wondered where those additional atmospheric scenes had gone in that theatrical cut. It was truly satisfying to see that they had been sitting dormant in James Cameron's editing bin, and were now part of this Extended Cut. I won't give away all the goodies to allow you for a better surprise, but let's just say the additions are well placed and definitely help the establishment of plot and character.
    It is fun to look back at Mr. Avatar and see the early makings of a phenomenal action director. The tough guys with damaged egos. Technology turned on its side. And, of course, the curiosity for alien races quickly becoming a predicament larger than expected.
    For those of you who haven't seen this film, it's an action extravaganza centered around the Alien universe created by Ridley Scott in the film of the same title. Only this time the fun is not contained to one ugly guy playing hide and sick in a space ship. James Cameron's outing has a high count on casualties and enough opposition to take over a foreign country, or in this case, a small planet.
    Where this film might benefit from an upgrade is in the special effects department. Which is an interesting comment to make in regards to a Cameron picture, since the guy got his start doing effect shoots. He practically invented the genre. But since my viewing of this film is taking place in 2012 and we have all been bombarded by the likes of Lord of the Rings and the Avengers, the effects clearly show the cracks in the shell.
    Nevertheless, I enjoyed the film thoroughly and I would gladly watch it again. In fact, it makes for a perfect marathon if watched together with the first one.
    This is sadly the last in the Alien series where the production was taking the future of the xenophorms with any seriousness. Yes, David Fincher was a very good call for the third installment, but it was also the moment when the studio decided to put the franchise in the hands of accountants with little regard for filmmaking, and our award winning director never gained the proper production tools to do the franchise any justice... All that being said, I am actually a fan of Fincher's version. It's just hard to follow up a gory gun fest like Aliens with an emotionally driven piece like Alien 3.
  13. Feb 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It just doesn't get any better. It revisit an eerily haunting universe and takes a modern horror film and turns it into possibly the best sic-fi action movie to date. Almost 30 years after it's release it enjoys a cult following due largely to Cameron's high production values and is watchable over and over and over...Played HALO? Aliens is so recognizable in much of the this premiere shooter's canon.

Dialogue is loose, realistic and doesn't get caught up in the mumbo jumbo. Seriously, you can feel the Sulaco crew's distress, the palpable feeling of 'oh And through all this bravado, machismo and testosterone, Ripley emerges as the ultimate badass.
  14. Sep 28, 2014
    I can't find it in myself to give this a 10, but it comes pretty close. My third favorite James Cameron film (behind T1 & T2) and my 8th favorite movie ever. Why? This thing is filled with suspense, a surprising amount of emotion, and awesome action. It takes a different tone than Alien's nail-biting horror approach, but the action movie we get instead is just as good, if not betterI can't find it in myself to give this a 10, but it comes pretty close. My third favorite James Cameron film (behind T1 & T2) and my 8th favorite movie ever. Why? This thing is filled with suspense, a surprising amount of emotion, and awesome action. It takes a different tone than Alien's nail-biting horror approach, but the action movie we get instead is just as good, if not better than the original. Oh, and it has one of my favorite lines ever.
    Ellen Ripley to the queen alien - "Get away from her, you b*tch!"

9.8/10
  15. Aug 30, 2010
    Another classic film from James Cameron. The tension is incredible, as well as the action. Also, the aliens themselves are some of the most terrifying creatures ever to appear in a movie. Some of the acting can feel a bit corny, but no film is perfect. 9/10
  16. Jun 9, 2012
    What can I say? This movie was thrilling, and was ahead of its time.
  17. May 25, 2012
    This movie is a great movie, let me just start by saying that. The thing is though that if you watch this movie right after watching the first one it's just hilariously not as good. It makes me sad that it got a better review on here than the first one. The attention to detail, the pacing, even the dialogue is just simply not as magnificently put together as the original. It is a fun watchThis movie is a great movie, let me just start by saying that. The thing is though that if you watch this movie right after watching the first one it's just hilariously not as good. It makes me sad that it got a better review on here than the first one. The attention to detail, the pacing, even the dialogue is just simply not as magnificently put together as the original. It is a fun watch though and should be considered a classic. Just simply not better than the first one. Expand
  18. Jan 29, 2012
    It's hard to imagine that a completely new set of filmmakers could take a sequel and make it equal to, if not in some cases better than the original film. There are sequels that are famous for being arguably better than the original. Films come to mind like The Godfather Part 2, Terminator 2, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the King. These films were all made by the same people asIt's hard to imagine that a completely new set of filmmakers could take a sequel and make it equal to, if not in some cases better than the original film. There are sequels that are famous for being arguably better than the original. Films come to mind like The Godfather Part 2, Terminator 2, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the King. These films were all made by the same people as the original films. Aliens was taken on by a new writer/director, producer, and many new designers. It's story is almost a total 180 of the original film's plot. It takes place in a different location. Most aspects of Aliens differ from Alien in such a way that sometimes it's more of an action film than a horror film. And somehow it still remains one of the greatest films in the sci-fi/horror genre and just as good as if not better than Alien. Expand
  19. Oct 11, 2011
    One of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever created, if you have not seen this masterpiece then you don't know what your missing, it's tense and enjoyable, and the only reason it's not getting a perfect 10 is because I happened to watch the directors cut afterwards (which gets a perfect 10) which adds even more emotion to the movie, but even if it's not as good as the directors cut this isOne of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever created, if you have not seen this masterpiece then you don't know what your missing, it's tense and enjoyable, and the only reason it's not getting a perfect 10 is because I happened to watch the directors cut afterwards (which gets a perfect 10) which adds even more emotion to the movie, but even if it's not as good as the directors cut this is still a must watch (but then watch the directors cut afterwards), all I can say is that this is fantastic and one of my favorite movies of all time and you must watch it. Expand
  20. Jan 26, 2013
    Aliens is my favorite movie ever made. When it gets rolling, the film becomes an ultra exciting Juggernaut. As well as boosting testosterone levels through the roof, Aliens also features a slew of memorable performances. Bill Paxton's turn as Hudson is probably the greatest scene-stealing role of all time whilst Lance Henrikson also slam dunks a career best as the android Bishop. BasicallyAliens is my favorite movie ever made. When it gets rolling, the film becomes an ultra exciting Juggernaut. As well as boosting testosterone levels through the roof, Aliens also features a slew of memorable performances. Bill Paxton's turn as Hudson is probably the greatest scene-stealing role of all time whilst Lance Henrikson also slam dunks a career best as the android Bishop. Basically speaking, if the idea of a big snarling monster squaring off against a robotic power loader sounds even the least bit intriguing, Aliens is guaranteed to own your soul for the rest of eternity! Expand
  21. Jan 18, 2011
    A fun to watch action/ sci-fi/ thriller movie. This movie was directed by James Cameron (same person who directed Titanic and Avatar). It has a good script and voice acting. Fun to watch action scenes and a couple spooky moments. This is an enjoyable movie.
  22. Jan 25, 2011
    A bit slow for the first hour but the last hour and a half really packs a punch and leaves you on the edge of your seat. The acting at times isn't the greatest (Sigourney Weaver just isn't a great actress) and their is some cheesy dialog but for the most part Aliens is top notch Sci-Fi and even if you aren't a Sci-Fi fan you still might be able to enjoy it.
  23. Aug 2, 2011
    My all time best sci-fi thriller. This movie has no setbacks imo. It progresses wonderfully over "Alien" as the story is logicaly developed so there`s none of that lets do a sequel stuff. From the moment of Alien ending I wanted to see what happens with Ripley. I have not been dissapointed as this fearsome and very smart woman goes through another xenomorph massacre. The story ofcourseMy all time best sci-fi thriller. This movie has no setbacks imo. It progresses wonderfully over "Alien" as the story is logicaly developed so there`s none of that lets do a sequel stuff. From the moment of Alien ending I wanted to see what happens with Ripley. I have not been dissapointed as this fearsome and very smart woman goes through another xenomorph massacre. The story ofcourse puts her in this situation against her own will, as if the fate played a joke on her. It is clear that the main actress plays the best role, although she is very well accompanied by Hudson, Vasquez, Hicks , Bishop and Burke. The climate of this movies builds up almost 1/3 of it`s time. We know that something bad is going to happen and we await it with fear. This way the story is fairly simple though it still manages to put us on the edge of our seats. We`re never sure whether the next encounter with the black creatures will be the last one, and it`s the same until the end of the film. To add to that, the special effects easily hold on their own after 15 years, especially the alien customes and gore. I have this movie memorised. Expand
  24. Aug 18, 2011
    In my opinion, this is one of the best sequels of all time. Right up there with T2, Evil Dead 2 and of course the Godfather Part 2. Besides spawning a whole line of comics, games and two further installments in the series (mediocre at best, IMO) the movie also established James Cameron, then known for Terminator, as a successful figure in the film industry, with his most notableIn my opinion, this is one of the best sequels of all time. Right up there with T2, Evil Dead 2 and of course the Godfather Part 2. Besides spawning a whole line of comics, games and two further installments in the series (mediocre at best, IMO) the movie also established James Cameron, then known for Terminator, as a successful figure in the film industry, with his most notable blockbusters being Titanic (1997) and Avatar (2009). All in all, a great watch with some of the best and most suspenseful action scenes in any sci-fi movie. Expand
  25. May 9, 2011
    This movie is just flat out awesome! I watched it like 10 times! One of my favorite movies of all time! Exciting from start to finish, never a dull moment! Love it!
  26. Sep 20, 2011
    Depending on the mood I'm in, I often prefer this sequel over the first of the series. This film is far more action-packed and the visual effects are taken to the next level. Cameron has crafted a very worthy sequel and Weaver gives her strongest performance here from the entire franchise. The increased alien population makes this film even more effective because we get to see more ofDepending on the mood I'm in, I often prefer this sequel over the first of the series. This film is far more action-packed and the visual effects are taken to the next level. Cameron has crafted a very worthy sequel and Weaver gives her strongest performance here from the entire franchise. The increased alien population makes this film even more effective because we get to see more of them. The Queen of the alien hive is truly something to be seen......literally amazing! There has never been such a live creation since! Excellent film! Expand
  27. Dec 8, 2011
    For a movie to be this great requires a lot of work. A LOT of work. James Cameron's best movie (yes, beating Avatar) is stellar. This movie will appeal to sci-fi, horror, and action-adventure fans. The entire movie is so amazing and great that words can't describe it.
  28. Jun 27, 2011
    There are some movies that have the perfect atmosphere, story, cast, and visuals. Aliens is that film, and on top of that it happens to be a sequel. Aliens is absolutely brilliant, its stunning at everything it does. The film follows the unfortunate woman Ellen Ripely who finds herself confronted by the alien creature again, but this time she's not alone neither are the aliens, "this timeThere are some movies that have the perfect atmosphere, story, cast, and visuals. Aliens is that film, and on top of that it happens to be a sequel. Aliens is absolutely brilliant, its stunning at everything it does. The film follows the unfortunate woman Ellen Ripely who finds herself confronted by the alien creature again, but this time she's not alone neither are the aliens, "this time its war". This film is everything a good sequel should be, it gives the main character new dimensions to work with in character terms. The horror elements are still there but now they are combined with an action/thriller-esk genre vibe as well. This new action element is executed nicely and only helps drive the plot forward. The new characters that are introduced are excellent and believable too. Each character is, for the most part given enough screen time, and depth, so that when they do die you actually care about them. The world that James Cameron creates for this movie is absolutely astounding. Cameron builds on the already rich universe that Ridley Scott created for the first film and capitalizes on it greatly. Each scene in the movie feels necessary and tightly planned out, making each scene interesting and moving the action along quite nicely. If you were only to watch one sci-fi movie in your entire life, Aliens would most certainly be the one. Expand
  29. May 12, 2014
    Sigourney Weaver. 64-years-old and DAMN, is she smoking hot or what? Before Avatar, she originally jump started the first Alien movie 35 years ago in 1979 donning the role of one of the hottest sci-fi badass of all time, the iconic Ellen Ripley. This is a lot tougher because I don't know which Alien movie kicks ass, Alien or Aliens (a.K.a Alien 2). I'd go with the second installmentSigourney Weaver. 64-years-old and DAMN, is she smoking hot or what? Before Avatar, she originally jump started the first Alien movie 35 years ago in 1979 donning the role of one of the hottest sci-fi badass of all time, the iconic Ellen Ripley. This is a lot tougher because I don't know which Alien movie kicks ass, Alien or Aliens (a.K.a Alien 2). I'd go with the second installment because thanks to the creative genius of James Cameron and Ridley Scott, I had nightmares watching these pesky Aliens eat people and every time I watch the whole movie, it's Ripley time! This is not only the greatest sci-fi sequels of all time, but it also paved the way for fans even the Girl Power movement that led many women has the ability to what they are fighting for and who they really have the strength and courage to gather those obstacles into what they truly believe in not only for themselves, but for all the women everywhere. Expand
  30. Sep 28, 2011
    So many franchises we have today owe their success to Aliens. The Zerg from Starcraft? Aliens. The Tyranids from Warhammer 40k? Aliens. The bugs from Starship Troopers the film (not the book)? Aliens. The Brood from X-Men? Aliens. The Flood from Halo? Aliens. Probably a few others I've missed? Aliens. James Cameron took Ridley Scott's spookhouse in space and completely changed gears toSo many franchises we have today owe their success to Aliens. The Zerg from Starcraft? Aliens. The Tyranids from Warhammer 40k? Aliens. The bugs from Starship Troopers the film (not the book)? Aliens. The Brood from X-Men? Aliens. The Flood from Halo? Aliens. Probably a few others I've missed? Aliens. James Cameron took Ridley Scott's spookhouse in space and completely changed gears to deliver the ultimate scifi war film. Do smartguns on steadycam mounts make a ton of logical sense? Maybe not, but they looked damn cool. So much of what James Cameron designed was incredibly cool and has influenced pop culture. The Pelicans from Halo? Just copies of the Dropship from Aliens. The dropship pilot telling us we're in the pipe five by five? A direct line from Aliens. Angry black sargeant? That's just Apone. Shotgun being good in Doom? Probably Hick's, for close encounters.

The greatness of Aliens, apart from its many cool little tidbits, is the pacing. It's relentless. You're on this sorta roller coaster ride, but it's not quite fun. It's tense, scary, completely draining. And when you think you've managed to escape the worst of it... the Queen pops out of the rear landing gear and you're right back in the thick of it, witnessing an epic fight with a goddamn power loader. This film is great because it dialed absolutely everything up to 11. Looking back, it's easy to see that Alien 3 would've been somewhat of a disappointment no matter what they chose to do. Aliens said pretty much everything that needed to be said about humans in space battling xenomorphs. Game over man, game over.
  31. Oct 7, 2011
    Most entertaining movie ever. Simply. And probably the better from James Cameron. Sigourney Weaver is an awesome actress, the action scenes are amazing, the alien creature is truly horrific.
  32. Mar 28, 2012
    This movie is one of my favorites. It doesn't matter that it was made in 1986, if you love sci-fi or horror just watch it. It is truly a scare-fest of the best kind. The effects were top-notch for the decade and are still great today. The acting by Sigourney Weaver is awesome and the plot and storyline are incredible. You don't have to watch the original Alien movie to get it, but itThis movie is one of my favorites. It doesn't matter that it was made in 1986, if you love sci-fi or horror just watch it. It is truly a scare-fest of the best kind. The effects were top-notch for the decade and are still great today. The acting by Sigourney Weaver is awesome and the plot and storyline are incredible. You don't have to watch the original Alien movie to get it, but it wouldn't hurt to get the full appreciation of this film. Truly awesome film. Expand
  33. Jan 16, 2013
    57 years after the Xenomorph discovery and the destruction of the Nostromo, Ellen Ripley awakes from cryo and taken in by some of the Weyland corporation associates. After contact with the colony inhabiting the same planet Riley's crew found the alien on 57 years ago goes dark she and a squad of marines are sent in to fix the problem. A great action packed thriller from start to finish,57 years after the Xenomorph discovery and the destruction of the Nostromo, Ellen Ripley awakes from cryo and taken in by some of the Weyland corporation associates. After contact with the colony inhabiting the same planet Riley's crew found the alien on 57 years ago goes dark she and a squad of marines are sent in to fix the problem. A great action packed thriller from start to finish, still very little character development but the character of Ripley is fleshed out here. There are 2 kinds of people, those who prefer Alien and those who prefer Aliens, I am the former. Expand
  34. May 5, 2012
    This not the best Alien movie in my opinion. But is still a great movie. With lots more aliens and This is a great movie and a must buy. Aliens 8.1/10
  35. Mar 6, 2014
    1/10th the budget of most movies these days. 10 times the "Hell Yeah!" as most movies these days. James Cameron really raised the bar on this one.
  36. Jun 28, 2012
    This is one of the best movies ever made, as it uses the first Alien film but instead turns it from a horror film into an action film, which may put many fans of the original film off.
    The story is great and the suspense is built up through the 1st hour of the film where we learn about the characters and their personalities and then suddenly the action kicks in with them fighting for survival making you feel a part of the group of humans trying to survive.
    Overall the film is great with a perfect cast and a great director in James Cameron and is exciting from start to finish. One of my favorite films. 10/10
  37. Jul 3, 2012
    Although Alien was a great movie, this one is awesome. It's an action movie that again contains some nice character dialogue amongst it's characters, while trapped with the vicious creature, or should i say vicious creatures. Sigourney Weaver finally shows the real bad-ass attitude, since Alien was more of a suspenful experience.
    Interesting characters and fully-packed of action, some
    Interesting characters and fully-packed of action, some people consider it better than Alien. I just think they're both in the same level, and the great thing is that this is one of the few franchises that changes the whole atmosphere of a movie and still turns it into something great.
  38. Aug 12, 2014
    This is the rare sequel that is just as good as the first one. I think I would give the first one a slight edge, but that is no knock against this one because it was honestly awesome. Sigourney Weaver is fantastic here as expected as she reprises her role as Ripley. The whole cast really does a very good job as well. The direction from James Cameron is also great and I liked the addedThis is the rare sequel that is just as good as the first one. I think I would give the first one a slight edge, but that is no knock against this one because it was honestly awesome. Sigourney Weaver is fantastic here as expected as she reprises her role as Ripley. The whole cast really does a very good job as well. The direction from James Cameron is also great and I liked the added action sequences, but I am glad that he did not ignore the horror elements brought by Ridley Scott in the first film. He did a very nice job blending the scares from the first one with a more actiony premise. This combination of thrills with the action is ultimately the film's largest success, as it makes it a very fun one to watch. It is hard to look away throughout because so much is always going on. The special effects were also, largely, good. There were some sequences that looked beyond fake, but all of the stuff with the aliens was convincing and well done. There are definitely some moments that feel a bit cliche here, but regardless of that, Aliens is a very successful sequel that takes what Alien did great and adds a little bit of greatness to it. Expand
  39. Aug 13, 2012
    With all the discussions on which installment was better than the other, I honestly cannot say. The two are drastically different in tone, with the first film focusing a lot more in horror elements and has a more quiet subdued and mysterious feel to it, while this film is a lot more balls-to-the-wall crazy and a lot more action-oriented than the earlier. To me, they're both equally greatWith all the discussions on which installment was better than the other, I honestly cannot say. The two are drastically different in tone, with the first film focusing a lot more in horror elements and has a more quiet subdued and mysterious feel to it, while this film is a lot more balls-to-the-wall crazy and a lot more action-oriented than the earlier. To me, they're both equally great in their own different ways, along with the fact that they're both carried by one of the strongest female protagonists in cinema. The film has it faults though, mainly on plotholes. But still, classic. Expand
  40. Oct 6, 2012
    Action, emotion, cool-looking aliens, and one of the best female film protagonists in history..... What more could someone want in a movie? This is on a different level to any action film I have seen, and even beats its predecessor in terms of sheer, blood-curdling excitement. James Cameron's finest work.
  41. Oct 27, 2012
    Estupefacta me hallo al darme cuenta de que, con el cuento de ir a ver Prometheus, de Ridley Scott, hay más personas de las que pensaba que aún no han visto una de las obras maestras, no solo de Ridley Scott, sino del cine y de la ciencia ficción, el primer Alien.
    Por eso hoy hago un llamamiento a todos aquellos afortunados (y digo
  42. Dec 14, 2013
    Takes off in a completely different direction from the original. While the first one was more about the fear that arises in people in the face of an unknown and deadly danger, this was more about an all out open warfare between humans and an overwhelming army of aliens, hence the title. I could see hints of James Cameron's other memorable character, The Terminator, in the Ripley of thisTakes off in a completely different direction from the original. While the first one was more about the fear that arises in people in the face of an unknown and deadly danger, this was more about an all out open warfare between humans and an overwhelming army of aliens, hence the title. I could see hints of James Cameron's other memorable character, The Terminator, in the Ripley of this instalment.

I could sympathize with some of the secondary characters, the ones who were well developed, but couldn't care less about the others, who I rightly recognized as cannon fodder from the outset. This time around, a child survivor is thrown into the mix, a girl called Newt. She is a primary character and I found her portrayal very satisfying.

The action sequences were shot extremely well. They both enthralled and kept the tempo running. James Cameron's direction captures every scene with subtlety and precision, a technique which he improved over time and used in delivering a greater film a few years later in the shape of a sequel to another franchise. But this movie amongst his other works proves beyond any doubt that he has all the makings of a great action director.

The effects did not necessarily jump out at you. They seemed to be at the same standard as the ones from the original, even though this was made seven years later. The score was slow paced and haunting.

Ripley seems different from the first movie. She feels like another character. And as it is mainly an action flick, this change is not explored. In Alien, she was a flawed heroine. But here she just fills the boots of a main character, firing guns, killing stuff, and hardly ever pauses for reflection. In essence, she brings nothing new to the table, even though the movie ran for two and a half hours. A lot of this time was spent developing the other characters, some of which were fairly well realized, so some amongst the audience may be more satisfied than I was.

Why I couldn't give this movie a perfect score has a combination of reasons that ultimately has to do with my personal preference. Cameron is clearly intrigued by ideas and stories of heroic men and women struggling to survive against odds ordinary mankind may not be able to cope with. These larger than life super monsters often create much of the action and drama in many of Cameron's other movies too. Ridley Scott's Alien was a simple science fiction, albeit significantly more plausible, tale about a parasitic alien species who reproduce by inhabiting living organisms and killing them eventually.

Cameron does not explain how or why these species came into being, where the Queen came from, or what happened to the ship where these eggs were found at the start of the first film. He simply saw an opportunity to expand the idea into a highly charged gun blazing blockbuster. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. On the contrary I believe his Terminator 2 is amongst the greatest movies ever made. But Terminator series was his own creation and he made it that way. It was his child to mould as he pleased. This was not. Here I was hoping to see a sequel which would continue the story Scott set out to tell, a kind of story which would encourage philosophical discussions.

I enjoyed the movie for other reasons, though I could not help but feel a little disappointed. I came out of it thinking that Cameron was not capable of delivering a movie that could amaze holding the same concepts the original did. He could have easily retained all the gun fighting and flame throwing but may have dotted the plot with a bit of discussion related to the origin of the species, the engineer species, or anything logical and reasonable he could come up with. If he thought this was not possible, he could have at least addressed the issues by putting the words into the mouth of some character so we would have known that the characters are thinking the same thing but had their hands full.
  43. Mar 30, 2013
    Stronger than before only it doesn't have the same feel. Sigourney Weaver's performance is beyond anyone's imagination and the visuals are a hell of a ride but for some Aliens doesn't have the same feel as the original. Maybe its because James Cameron directed it I mean that could be the only explanation. The only thing James Cameron is good at is making mega box-office hits......
  44. Mar 17, 2013
    Truly a cult classic. In no way is this a good movie. It's cheesy, it's full of cliches, and there is little to no character development (aside from Ripley and Bishop a little.) But that aside, it is entertaining as hell! It's fun to watch, the music is appropriately timed. The action fits the situation and keeps you glued to the screen. The fights are as spectacular as they should haveTruly a cult classic. In no way is this a good movie. It's cheesy, it's full of cliches, and there is little to no character development (aside from Ripley and Bishop a little.) But that aside, it is entertaining as hell! It's fun to watch, the music is appropriately timed. The action fits the situation and keeps you glued to the screen. The fights are as spectacular as they should have been. Overall: This movie is a SCi-Fi as they get. It's not Shakespeare, but it does define it's genre and has a mountain of catchphrases that everyone knows (at least one.) OK movie, but a whole lot of fun! Collapse
  45. Dec 24, 2013
    A very good sequel to the original, which is hard to find in films, especially when the first one was so strong. It starts the perfect way, but soon it becomes more about the action than about the suspense, courtesy of James Cameron and his obsession with guns and technology. Entertaining from start to finish and once again Sigourney Weaver gives her all, just perfect. But it can´t beatA very good sequel to the original, which is hard to find in films, especially when the first one was so strong. It starts the perfect way, but soon it becomes more about the action than about the suspense, courtesy of James Cameron and his obsession with guns and technology. Entertaining from start to finish and once again Sigourney Weaver gives her all, just perfect. But it can´t beat the original, too much military stuff and too many aliens. Less is more in this type of films. Still really good. Expand
  46. Feb 15, 2013
    by the sheer amount of video games and movies this film has influenced should guarantee this film a 10 every time, i cant agree with critics saying its not as suspenseful as the original.. the original this the original that, this is an entirely different movie and should be taken as such.
  47. Apr 29, 2014
    Showcasing Weaver and bringing an action orientated feel and a different dynamic to the cat and mouse ambiance the original so brilliantly captured means this is arguably the better out of the two. Arguably.
  48. May 17, 2013
    this is the single greatest movie ever made by humanity in the history of the world. as long as the earth is round aliens will always be the greatest movie of all time.
  49. Oct 19, 2014
    "Get away from her, you **** Aliens is simply a near perfect sequel to the instant classic we have come to love. Although the supporting cast may fall short, Ripley is more bad ass then ever! Bigger, better and more exciting then ever is just an understatement attached to this film. Aliens expands on the Stella series and leaves the audience craving more! One of the best sequels to ever be"Get away from her, you **** Aliens is simply a near perfect sequel to the instant classic we have come to love. Although the supporting cast may fall short, Ripley is more bad ass then ever! Bigger, better and more exciting then ever is just an understatement attached to this film. Aliens expands on the Stella series and leaves the audience craving more! One of the best sequels to ever be fulled off! Expand
  50. Nov 9, 2013
    A masterpiece!! The greatest sequel ever made!!! Alien franchise is perfect and absolutely excellent!!! Do not miss it!! WARNING: Alien 2 Sulla....... is not real!!! The real sequel of Alien is Aliens!! 1. Alien, 2. Aliens, 3. Alien 3, and 4. Alien resurrection. Alien 2 Sulla Terra is fake.
  51. Oct 15, 2013
    A movie i first saw aged 9 it terrified me but as i watched it more it became my favourite movie and the best sequel i have ever seen uncompromising and mrs weaver never better i have written essays on her journey and the top of his game direction of James Cameron.
  52. Jan 13, 2014
    James Cameron delivers the goods as he ups the ante in the follow-up to Ridley Scotts masterpiece. Taking place 87 years after the original, Ripley must now face those horrible monsters on a colony. Oodles of fun.
  53. Jan 4, 2014
    Now that's Kick-alien!!

Now that's Kick-alien!!

Firstly make sure you watch Alien (1979) first before reading this review. You may watch Aliens independently but miss out many plot elements key to the franchise. With Alien having established the presence of deadly alien in a suspenseful horror manner this sequel satisfies the kick-alien action which was missing (definitely not necessary) in the first film without sacrificing much of the suspenseful storytelling that made Alien special. Another plus point for Aliens is that it has a strong lead performance by Sigourney Weaver and very impressive visuals for 1986. It has the typical James Cameron touch for both screenplay and direction and does complete justice as a sequel. The movie always has edge of seat thriller feeling with the Aliens getting smarter with every advent thus suspense has a strong hold. The final act is full on entertainer but has feel like the protagonists would escape any kind of dangerous numerous times which has a bit hard to digest apart from that Aliens is among the top lists in sci-fi, a justifying sequel which answers few unanswered questions of 1st film and not to be missed even today.
  54. Jun 18, 2014
    Contrary to my initial expectation, Aliens is not a sequel with similar directorial style; it is a marvelous action sci-fi movies packed with another strong performance from Sigourney Weaver while still successfully maintaining some elements of horror that took away audiences' breath just like Scott's original film did.
  55. Oct 14, 2014
    An amazing Action/Science Fiction/Horror film that has amazing screenplay, impressive special effects for the time, and great camera work. Aliens manages to even improve on the original.
  56. Jan 22, 2014
    I have seen it twice over the years, in the late 80s on VHS and recently on DVD with my 10 year-old son. I loved it, though I still rank Sir Ridley Scott's entries, both Alien and Prometheus, above it. This is still pulse-pounding, the closest James Cameron came to authentic expression of emotion (in Ripley) without going maudlin (ie., Titanic, Avatar). The best this cat can do, and milesI have seen it twice over the years, in the late 80s on VHS and recently on DVD with my 10 year-old son. I loved it, though I still rank Sir Ridley Scott's entries, both Alien and Prometheus, above it. This is still pulse-pounding, the closest James Cameron came to authentic expression of emotion (in Ripley) without going maudlin (ie., Titanic, Avatar). The best this cat can do, and miles ahead of Fincher and Jeunet's approaches to the series. Expand
  57. Mar 8, 2014
    The best Alien movie I have ever seen, the story is great, the acting is great, the movie is everything I could ever want in a sci-fi/ horror film and more.
  58. Nov 27, 2014
    MY FAVORITE REVIEWS " Aliens". James Cameron is probably one of the best directors living today his movies are awesome ( Terminator , Titanic , Avatar ) Cameron writes , directs a sequel to Ridley Scott's Alien which is the best sequel especially to these gore alien franchise. Sigourney Weavers stars once again as Ripley !!!!!! its fantastic it's a gore fun horror ride. Cameron puts allMY FAVORITE REVIEWS " Aliens". James Cameron is probably one of the best directors living today his movies are awesome ( Terminator , Titanic , Avatar ) Cameron writes , directs a sequel to Ridley Scott's Alien which is the best sequel especially to these gore alien franchise. Sigourney Weavers stars once again as Ripley !!!!!! its fantastic it's a gore fun horror ride. Cameron puts all the good formulas to make a sequel. Grade A+ Expand
  59. chw
    Sep 21, 2014
    Aliens is way better than Alien, probably because this is James Cameron and that was Ridley Scott... Still, both are 9's, but this one's closest to being a 10.
  60. Apr 20, 2014
    Simply better than the first Alien from 1979 as it has better and more gripping effects, incomparable and better characters, stunning continuation and phenomenally-enjoyable, mid-film action scenes. I also think that 'Aliens' has incredible dialogue from the actors playing their roles, thus it's got great dialogue all-round. Genius directing from master director James Cameron and alsoSimply better than the first Alien from 1979 as it has better and more gripping effects, incomparable and better characters, stunning continuation and phenomenally-enjoyable, mid-film action scenes. I also think that 'Aliens' has incredible dialogue from the actors playing their roles, thus it's got great dialogue all-round. Genius directing from master director James Cameron and also stars Sigourney Weaver as Ripley again.

Spectacular Science-Fiction film that surpasses is's incredible predecessor, THAT is how incredible James Cameron's 'Aliens' really is. 9.5/10. (A-)
  61. Aug 22, 2014
    Esta película me ha encantado, ha mezclado muy bien los momentos de terror pero también los de acción. Hay partes en las que piensas que los protagonistas no van a lograrlo. Hasta cuando crees que todo acabo la cosa sigue y sigue, llega a impactar aparte de tener algunos personajes memorables, en especial Ripley que aquí muestra que solo por ser mujer no quiere decir que no pueda estar aEsta película me ha encantado, ha mezclado muy bien los momentos de terror pero también los de acción. Hay partes en las que piensas que los protagonistas no van a lograrlo. Hasta cuando crees que todo acabo la cosa sigue y sigue, llega a impactar aparte de tener algunos personajes memorables, en especial Ripley que aquí muestra que solo por ser mujer no quiere decir que no pueda estar a la altura e incluso superar en mi opinión a grandes de la acción como Rambo, Chuck Norris, etc. Esta película en mi opinión es la mejor que he visto hasta el día de hoy. Yo personalmente veo una película y ya me suelo olvidar aunque me guste, pero cuando una película se mete en tu cabeza y te hace pensar aun después de semanas de verla, entonces sabes que es una gran película. Le doy un 10/10 es un clásico, es legendaria y puede que algunas personas piensen que exagero pero me gusto tanto y tanto que tenia que darle una puntuación que iguale a la película. Expand
  62. Sep 5, 2014
    James Cameron takes Ridley Scott's place in the director seat for the Alien sequel and it shows.He brings a more terrifying and gritty film with a true battle to the last survivor between aliens and humans
  63. Nov 30, 2014
    I know this movie is 28 years old, but it's still a cult classic. Now I have to be honest. I like the first movie more than this one. I not a fan of the military story-line. But it stil gets the atmosphere right like the first movie (which is still in my opinion the best of the series). But the Aliens aren't as scary as the one Alien off the first movie. Don't get me wrong. This movieI know this movie is 28 years old, but it's still a cult classic. Now I have to be honest. I like the first movie more than this one. I not a fan of the military story-line. But it stil gets the atmosphere right like the first movie (which is still in my opinion the best of the series). But the Aliens aren't as scary as the one Alien off the first movie. Don't get me wrong. This movie still makes you root for the good guys like none other, scpecially with the little girl's live on the line. This movie is much before my time but I am actually glad I saw Prometheus (all-though it's just a so-so movie) first. It closed some gaps for me for the first and this movie. I give this movie a 8/10. I would give it a 9/10 but I am just not a fan of the military aspect. Expand
  64. Dec 16, 2014
    What do you get when you take the basic horror template from Alien, and add action into the mix to get awesome results? You get Aliens. Aliens is a significant improvement over the original Alien by Ridley Scott, and this time James Cameron takes the throne. Cameron does an amazing job at making a smooth transition from the first film and adding great special effects to make Aliens anWhat do you get when you take the basic horror template from Alien, and add action into the mix to get awesome results? You get Aliens. Aliens is a significant improvement over the original Alien by Ridley Scott, and this time James Cameron takes the throne. Cameron does an amazing job at making a smooth transition from the first film and adding great special effects to make Aliens an amazing success. 10/10 (Masterpiece) Expand

I'm giving the movie a high rating for its skill and professionalism and because it does the job it says it will do. I am also advising you not to eat before you go to see it.
    Director James Cameron dumps the decorative effects of Ridley Scott's 1979 Alien in favor of some daring narrative strategies and a tight thematic focus.
    Tautly paced and expertly directed, this roller coaster ride of a motion picture offers a little bit of everything, all wrapped up in a tidy science fiction/action package.