All About My Mother

8.6

1. GilbertM.
    Oct 18, 2002
    Watch this movie. I promise you, if you're not moved to genuine tears, you must be one of three things: a) a heartless husk of a being, b) mineral or c) dead. Watch this movie.
  2. Nick
    Jun 7, 2003
    I'm moved. almodovar's characters are ALIVE. believe me!
  3. CraigB.
    Aug 4, 2004
    Smart dialogue, interesting characters, innovative screenplay...a perfect movie!
  4. DanielleL.
    Jan 10, 2006
    Brilliantly moving
  5. DemetriK.
    Jul 12, 2002
    Absolutely exquisite.
  6. YoonC.
    Sep 13, 2003
    A genuinely warm movie from Almodovar, it has at its center a woman who stands between two vastly different lives; her healthy well-adjusted young son who wants to know more about his family roots and her former husband whose life is an endless series of running away from relationships. This father who turns out to be a transvestite is one of Almodovar's great creations: both A genuinely warm movie from Almodovar, it has at its center a woman who stands between two vastly different lives; her healthy well-adjusted young son who wants to know more about his family roots and her former husband whose life is an endless series of running away from relationships. This father who turns out to be a transvestite is one of Almodovar's great creations: both ridiculous, even laughable yet in his peculiar, even sublime, way beautiful; someone charming enough to exploit and win the forgiveness of everyone. A warm cozy story wrapped within inspired perversity or vice versa. Not to be missed. Expand
  7. LuisG.
    Oct 30, 2006
    Honest bittersweet portrayal of life
  8. Jan 28, 2011
    Maybe I have had very high expectations of this film, since Almodovar is my favourite director, but I felt somewhat confused. Well, I definitely felt with the characters - the emotion was very real from all the actors, especially Cecilia Roth and Marisa Paredes. However, the story itself leaves me with so many questions, something that I am used to have answered in Almodovar's films. OrMaybe I have had very high expectations of this film, since Almodovar is my favourite director, but I felt somewhat confused. Well, I definitely felt with the characters - the emotion was very real from all the actors, especially Cecilia Roth and Marisa Paredes. However, the story itself leaves me with so many questions, something that I am used to have answered in Almodovar's films. Or maybe that's a new development, since I have seen all of the films that came after this one, before I have watched All About My Mother.
    Either way, it is definitely worth watching and the excellent acting and music (typical of Almodovar's works) make the film something one ought to watch. So yes, a very good film, somewhat confusing and question-provoking, but ultimately good.
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    Simply outstanding!
    Heartfelt with wonderfully interesting characters, if this film doesn't move you then you're not human!
    The champion of cinema that celebrates women, Almodovar is an absolute genius!
  10. Mar 4, 2013
    A breathtaking masterpiece. By far it's Almodóvar's best movie to date. The cast it's marvelous, the photography it's genial, the angles of the camera. Very well written and directed.
  11. Jan 22, 2014
    Last month, I went through the Pedro Almodovar Collection, which has films from Matador in 1986 to Bad Education from 2004. Although all of them were from very good to outstanding, this was one of my favourites, and for good reason, as it is obvious that Almodovar was on quite the roll. Not only is he excellent behind the camera and just bursting with creative aplomb, he is a very fineLast month, I went through the Pedro Almodovar Collection, which has films from Matador in 1986 to Bad Education from 2004. Although all of them were from very good to outstanding, this was one of my favourites, and for good reason, as it is obvious that Almodovar was on quite the roll. Not only is he excellent behind the camera and just bursting with creative aplomb, he is a very fine writer, not to mention the best director of women that I have ever seen. Expand
  12. Dec 8, 2015
    Many themes are mixed in 'All About My mother' and the best part is that it does not care about them at all. Movie has it's own pace, the goal set in start is lost somewhere to pursue important ones. It also clarifies how does a loss changes the point of view and feelings for someone. Reshaping one's own life over one's sorrow. Although set in Spain, it have major south american influenceMany themes are mixed in 'All About My mother' and the best part is that it does not care about them at all. Movie has it's own pace, the goal set in start is lost somewhere to pursue important ones. It also clarifies how does a loss changes the point of view and feelings for someone. Reshaping one's own life over one's sorrow. Although set in Spain, it have major south american influence on characters and their lifestyle aswell as technical departments. Like most of Pedro Almodovar, woman oriented turns into genderless story of people who are dealing with grief, regret while struggling with life to go on. 'Innocence does know itself' would perfectly describe the movie. Expand

1. Mr. Showbiz
    Reviewed by: Kevin Maynard
    The most heartfelt tribute to women -- specifically, actresses -- he's (Almodovar) ever made.
  2. Philadelphia Inquirer
    Reviewed by: Carrie Rickey
    This is more than a movie: It's Almodovar's design for living.
  3. It's enough to make your head spin, but Almodovar, whose mastery of the medium has never been more assured, gives you plenty to think about, ultimately grounding the dizzy whirl of his idiosyncratic fictional world in a story that feels not just true but universal.