4.1

1. Jan 6, 2014
    Seriously, I have never understood why this film has received so lousy reviews. I loved the film from the first minute. Sandra Bullock's character is very strange indeed but she has a good heart and the right intentions. For me it's a perfect film about an underdog an outsider who rises to the occassion. I have seen this film several times by now and still don't get the negative reviews.Seriously, I have never understood why this film has received so lousy reviews. I loved the film from the first minute. Sandra Bullock's character is very strange indeed but she has a good heart and the right intentions. For me it's a perfect film about an underdog an outsider who rises to the occassion. I have seen this film several times by now and still don't get the negative reviews. Trust me, give this film a chance! Expand
  2. Jul 28, 2013
    Totalmente ridicula y quedada es una fusion de buenos actores sin un buen papel falta de humor, de tema y decadencia en l trayectoria tal vez la idea pude haberse ampliado mucho mas pero no dio a lo que buscaba.
  3. Jun 28, 2013
    A disgrace to movies everywhere. I thought the Blind Side was bad. Geez, this is pathetic on every level. It is a sad time in the film industry when this gets produced.
  4. Jan 11, 2012
    I don't know where to start. I'm not sure what I just watched but I know I don't like the way I feel nor exactly how to describe it. A little disturbed perhaps....... discombobulated even (I've been wanting to use that for ages). Such a weird movie, I want to remove the memory of it from my brain and I never want to see red boots again. Although with the sound down she looked amazing inI don't know where to start. I'm not sure what I just watched but I know I don't like the way I feel nor exactly how to describe it. A little disturbed perhaps....... discombobulated even (I've been wanting to use that for ages). Such a weird movie, I want to remove the memory of it from my brain and I never want to see red boots again. Although with the sound down she looked amazing in them. It's driven me to write this, my first review ever because of the profoundly diminishing effect it had on what should be my happy times. Thankfully it was on tv so it didn't cost me anything other than 90 minutes of my life damn it.

I don't even really know who to blame, probably the screenwriter. Certainly not Sandra Bullock; unless I read the screenplay (I never will) I couldn't even judge whether her acting was deserving of the razzie as she may have actually performed an Oscar-worthy turn in this movie, more so than the Blind Side. You can't blame the casting agents- they've got some great talent in the film. Sandra Bullock's agent, however, should have talked her out of this one. Anyway Church was good, Cooper was not as good as usual and Jeung's brilliant comedic talent and timing was wasted in a pathetic sidekick role (to a secondary character) without any punchy lines or even sight gags- or maybe his shirt and tie was funny?

The plot could have worked as you don't really need much of a plot for romcoms. For example (and i will sell this to the highest bidder) misfit meets completely unlikely partner, don't see eye to eye at first, become friends and start hanging out, one has a partner and some funny penis-size related gags occur, one falls for the other and declares undying love, uh-oh! non- reciprocated undying love awwwwww, can't be friends anymore because too embarrassed, non-reciprocator suddenly realises through a montage of slow- motion (seemingly innocuous at the time) experiences from throughout the movie (with greenday's time of your life in the background) that what they've been missing all their life was there right in front of them all that time so they should run to the rejected purveyor of undying love but what's this? It's too late, the embarrassed purveyor moved on with someone very lovely blah blah blah they break up and the original two get together in the unlikeliest of circumstances and probably finish the movie on a gag that leaves us laughing and feeling good as we walk out.

I did not have this feeling as the credits rolled on All About Steve and I think I have figured out the reason for this in the last couple of weeks as I can pick a stinker of a movie or two. Here is my theory- it is very hard to produce a great movie without a likable protagonist. Case in point, Against The Ropes (or something like that) starring Meg Ryan and Omar Epps. Both have had very good careers at certain stages and played some truly memorable roles that I unfortunately can't remember right now. Anyway, the fact that Meg Ryan's character was so imminently unlikeable in any way prevented me from wanting her to succeed or have anything but bad things happen to her. So with a plot that (employing more than a little license) told the real life story of a female boxing promoter, I found myself googling the plot halfway through the movie and hoping some misery would befall her to assuage my desire for her downfall.

Therein lies the problem with All About Steve. I didn't like any of the characters but most importantly I didn't like Mary **** she was annoying and paradoxically (but admittedly commonplace in the real world) both super-intelligent and a complete moron depending on what the particular scene called for. I wanted her to drown in that well and if I had anything to do with orchestrating the rescue she would still be down there now scratching crossword puzzles into the wall that would one day be unearthed and  revered by future generations as proof of higher intelligence amongst their cave-dwelling primate predecessors. the end.
  5. Oct 22, 2011
    It really wasn't that bad. I don't quite understand all of the hate. It wasn't all that funny, but it wasn't a "Gigantic piece of donkey **** or "the most pathetic attempt at humor i have ever seen" or even "sewerific". I could sit through it, and it was kind of fun.
  6. Aug 26, 2011
    What we end up with here is a perplexing situation: The film makes Bullock's character so out-of-touch and so socially awkward that it goes from charmingly quirky to frightening and pitiful. We can't identify with the character because a normal person would react in same way Cooper does, and thus we end up pitying her instead. We also can't laugh at her when the movie tells us to becauseWhat we end up with here is a perplexing situation: The film makes Bullock's character so out-of-touch and so socially awkward that it goes from charmingly quirky to frightening and pitiful. We can't identify with the character because a normal person would react in same way Cooper does, and thus we end up pitying her instead. We also can't laugh at her when the movie tells us to because that makes us feel cruel for laughing at someone so pitiful. This is an awful, awful movie. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2011
    I've seen a lot of movies in my time and I guess I tend to favour a good comedy, hey, I love the odd bad comedy, but this is neither, this is the movie equivalent of being bled out, I would rather swim in a pool of razor blades than watch this poor attempt at comedy again, truly terrible stuff
  8. Sep 20, 2010
    Ouch. This film hurts. Instead of giving the main character appraisals, she is mocked into being insane and moronic. So many plot holes, bad casting and a completely and utterly creepy and disturbing tone. Avoid. Now.
  9. Aug 21, 2010
    i have to say i liked it and i recomend it, she is crazy and i got it i guss she won the award for the worst actress but i think everyone is crasy to say that, liked it and my girlfirend did to

Overwhelming dislike - based on 27 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Robert Abele
    A dippy clunker like All About Steve has no purpose other than as a challenge: If you laden a usually charming A-lister with a thoroughly off-putting, unhinged character, can she claw her way to likability? The short answer is no. The long answer is, what in the world was Bullock, who also produced the movie, thinking?
  2. Reviewed by: Joanne Kaufman
    A head-banging excuse for a comedy.
    Much of what's offensive and insufferable about All About Steve can be laid at the feet of screenwriter Kim Barker, best known for inflicting "License to Wed" on the world. Why do these people still earn obscene amounts of money churning out dreck? And why do stars like Bullock keep paying them?