7.6

1. Oct 2, 2013
    All Good Things is an interesting movie with some structural and pacing issues. The performances are good and the overall tale would beggar belief if it wasn't a true story. Still... Decent but not great.
  2. Dec 14, 2010
    One of the strangest movies I've ever seen, and not in a really good way. By the end, it had me wondering how much of the story was actually "based on a true story" and what the real sources were. The trailer is deceptive as hell. The Gosling character is a true freak, and I'm not sure that I'd ever recommend the experience to anyone.
  3. Jan 27, 2013
    On a level of 1 to **** this is pretty damn ****. Unrealistic, poorly "based on a true story" and seriously Ryan Gosling dressed up as a woman? Yeah that was sooooo convincing.
  4. Apr 26, 2011
    The title is a little silly when you find out what it means , and in reality, the movie is a bit silly when you watch it. If it were not for Dunst, the movie would have ended up being a good movie on cable. Dunst is wasted in this movie and her sole role is to look innocent and is devoid of any character at all. Still, the movie keeps you in suspense ( somewhat ) but is quickly forgottenThe title is a little silly when you find out what it means , and in reality, the movie is a bit silly when you watch it. If it were not for Dunst, the movie would have ended up being a good movie on cable. Dunst is wasted in this movie and her sole role is to look innocent and is devoid of any character at all. Still, the movie keeps you in suspense ( somewhat ) but is quickly forgotten about afterwards. Expand
  5. Dec 11, 2010
    A giant mess of a film. Ryan Gosling and (a surprisingly tolerable) Kirsten Dunst do the best they can with a story that can't decide what genre it belongs in. This simply just doesn't work. Andrew Jarecki, whose "Capturing the Friedmans" was fascinating, can do better than this.
  6. Jan 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In the hands of a different director this might have been a better movie, but in the hands of Andrew Jarecki it doesn't quite make it. Ryan Gosling's deadpan performance was annoying and the film doesn't clearly give a motive for David killing Katie other than he's nuts. There must be something better to watch, folks. Expand
  7. Jan 30, 2014
    This looks like it should be an entertaining movie, but isn't. Strong cast, Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst, Frank Langella, and Philip Baker Hall are all among my favorites. But good actors cannot always overcome a lousy script and that's the problem here.

There's lots of mood but no real surprises. You can see what's coming a mile away. When it was over I was left thinking, that's it?

Obviously many critics disagree with me. The movie garnered generally positive reviews. I think sometimes critics go easy on certain types of movies that may seem kind of interesting and have a particular style. My problem is that this movie never really delivers on its promise and ultimately is quite disappointing.
  8. Dec 24, 2010
    From the opening strains of Steely Dan's "Daddy don't live in that New York City no more," I had a bad feeling about "All Good Things."

Released in 1975, the album Katy Lied was Steely Dan's 4th studio album, and it is difficult to understand how it could have been playing on anyone's radio in 1971, when our movie opens... A fine cast, and apparently proficient crew managed to create a

A fine cast, and apparently proficient crew managed to create a movie in which no one is like-able, and not one person, let alone the music supervisor, could get it together to have a contemporary song playing in the opening scene.

Missing wife, hapless "disco people" brother, best friends, U.S. Senators; you name them, there's a pretty good reason no to like any of them. We are encouraged to hate the rich, the poor, the powerful and the powerless equally.

Okay, I liked the dog.

As you are probably already aware, the film is a thinly veiled fictionalization of a tabloid story from the 80's, and then 2000's, that follows, through voice-overs, the unfortunate, often tragic (for others) life of a NYC real estate heir.

There's goofy love story stuff, Oedipus-sy angles, requisite disco-era drug use... all perfectly fine components for a good story except - we don't care about one person we meet in the movie.

Kirsten Dunst's portrayal of Katie McCarthy brings us as close as we get to someone we like, but for whatever reason, her inability to remove herself from the circumstances that eventually, (obviously), lead to her disappearance makes it tough to care for even her.

Ryan Gosling is fine as the tortured, hapless son, Frank Langella is as always, a unique presence in a film, and Philip Baker Hall almost wins us over as Malvern - but sadly, we care what happens to absolutely no one in the film-- and face it, if we're not rooting for somebody we're really just rooting that this pondering mess of a film just finally come to a merciful end.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jan 20, 2011
    You watch it in stunned disbelief, wondering how a movie that started so strongly devolved into something so absurd.
  2. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Jan 7, 2011
    It's a heavy, moody film, mimicking in its form something of the mental state of its central character, which is a nifty trick. But the quality of the craft doesn't draw you in, nor does Gosling's aloof and inward performance.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Dec 30, 2010
    Gosling, as the Durst-like David Marks, is scarily effective before his performance turns opaque and horror-movie-ish.